Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #251
samifan24
Pro Starter

I just played my first game with the suggested sliders. The Giants beat my Eagles 41-12. Here are some stats:

- The Giants scored 35 points in the 4th quarter. I led 9-6 going into the 4th quarter.
- Total Offense: NYG- 446 / PHI - 265
- Rushing Yds: NYG - 295 / PHI - 87
- Passing Yds: NYG - 151 / PHI - 178
- 1st Downs : NYG - 14 / PHI - 16
- Total Yds: NYG - 579 / PHI - 481
- Penalties: NYG - 4 for 60 / PHI - 3 for 32
- Possession: NYG - 20:09 / PHI - 27:51

- Brandon Jacobs: 26 carries, 289 yards, 4 TDs (11.1 avg)
- Manning: 17-26, 151 Yds, 1 TD, 2 INT
- Westbrook: 26 carries, 80 yards (3.0 avg)
- McNabb: 16-32, 198 Yds, 2 INT

The game was actually close until the 4th quarter. I intercepted Manning twice in the end zone early in the game.

I was able to move the ball well down the field but was unable to find the end zone every time I reached the red zone.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #252
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I've had two games in a row now with my Patriots franchise (boy is it finally fun to play Madden as a Patriots fan...) where at the end of the first half we scored back-to-back TDs. In the first Darrius Butler grabbed a pick-6, then Buffalo fumbled the ensuing kickoff and we ran it in for the score. In the second Brady hit Welker for a nice TD pass, then the Jets fumbled the ensuing kickoff and we ran it in for the score. Unfortunately the game locked up soon after in that Jets game.

Playing with the DQ sliders on Fast speed, I'm not ready for Very Fast yet.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #253
AgustusM
College Prospect

I have to say this is the best football game I have played and I go back over 30 years of playing.

I play on coach only mode and have had 6 very realistic games with a variety of play which much closer mirrors the NFL then any game I have played in the past. The new tackling is great and the overall in game experience graphically is everything I have been looking for.

I have been playing on 15 min qtrs with accell clock at 20 and it is timing out perfectly. short quarters have always been a pet peeve.

on the negative side they still can't get penalties right (I have yet to see pass interference called) and I was very disappointed in the franchise mode improvements. I loved Head Coach for every part but in game (which has too many flaws) but the franchise portion of HC was fantastic. The guy in charge of that came over to the Madden team so I had high hopes. Now I know they would never go that far in Madden, but I was hoping for something more than the same old thing with a new front page, look and navigation. The HC draft was off the charts great, but Maddens is the same old thing.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #254
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm really enjoying Bill's sliders even though I'm playing it on the fast speed level. I just picked off Tom Brady in the Eagles' first pre-season game. Funny achievement

I'm going to put it on fast too.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #255
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
I have to say this is the best football game I have played and I go back over 30 years of playing.

I play on coach only mode and have had 6 very realistic games with a variety of play which much closer mirrors the NFL then any game I have played in the past. The new tackling is great and the overall in game experience graphically is everything I have been looking for.

I have been playing on 15 min qtrs with accell clock at 20 and it is timing out perfectly. short quarters have always been a pet peeve.

on the negative side they still can't get penalties right (I have yet to see pass interference called) and I was very disappointed in the franchise mode improvements. I loved Head Coach for every part but in game (which has too many flaws) but the franchise portion of HC was fantastic. The guy in charge of that came over to the Madden team so I had high hopes. Now I know they would never go that far in Madden, but I was hoping for something more than the same old thing with a new front page, look and navigation. The HC draft was off the charts great, but Maddens is the same old thing.

What sliders are you using for Coach Mode? I usually end up playing that way anyway.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #256
Izulde
Head Coach

Thus far I've only played one game, a Play Now out of the box with Bengals vs. Dolphins.

And it was a blast.

Tight 3-0 game throughout much of the first quarter until Joey Porter reads a Carson Palmer pass perfectly, picks it off in open space and runs back 66 yards for a TD and the 7-3 lead.

We went up 14-3 near the end of the half, though I forget just how, since this is a few days ago.

We go up 21-3 right after halftime as Ronnie Brown rips off a 72 yard TD run that was a thing of beauty. Followed his blockers to the outside and just took off running.

Bengals answer back right away with a KO return for TD (though I forget who ran it back). 21-10.

Then the Bengals start getting FG after FG and our offense is stalling, because Chad Pennington is having a day where he can't hit anything and is getting sacked a lot.

Late in the fourth quarter, Palmer finds Laverneus (sp) Coles in the slot on a short pass. Coles has nothing but daylight and it's a 72 yard run for the score and he's not even touched. They fail the 2 pt conversion, but all of a sudden it's 25-24 Bengals with 1:37 to play.

I'm swearing up a storm.

Then Ronnie breaks loose for a 21 yard gain to get us to midfield and Teddy Ginn Jr. leaps up in the air over two defenders to haul in a 24 yard pass.

But then Pennington gets sacked again for big yardage and we get hit with a delay of game penalty as I'm looking through the playbook and trying to decide.

So here we are, on the Bengals 38 yard line with less than 30 seconds on the clock and no timeouts left.

Pennington goes back to pass and hurls a long one to the endzone... where #2 TE Greg Camarillo stretches out for the score with 12 seconds on the clock!!!

I went for the 2 pt conversion and got it with a Ronnie rumble up the middle and we hang on for the 32-25 win.

Notable Stats:
Carson Palmer - 36/49 506 yards 2 TDs 1 INT
Chad Pennington - 41% completion 1 TD 1 INT
Ronnie Brown - 18 carries, 181 yards, 1 TD
DE Kendall Langford - 8 tackles 6 TFL (He was just everywhere this game and was a major reason why the Bengals had no run game going)

15 min quarters, 20 second rundown

The Bengals had 707 total yards which seems high, as does Palmer's yardage total, but this was out of the box and passing was the only thing that Cincy could get going all game.

I had a tendency to throw a lot of medium and long passes with Pennington, which is why his completion % was so low.

I tried running the Wildcat a couple times to no avail. It also wouldn't let me select Pat White as the one to get the ball in the Wildcat, just other RBs. I thought I saw a post on how to fix this I'm not sure.

I realized too late that when you sub players for formations, it keeps them there for that formation and you have to switch back. Is there an option to auto-sub when your guys get tired so you don't have to do that yourself?

All in all, the most fun single football game I've had in years. Gorgeous presentation, fun gameplay... it was awesome.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #257
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm not complaining about the CPU not being able to run the ball after what Adrian Peterson (and to a lesser extent Chester Taylor) just did to me. Holy crap. 250+ yards for Peterson on about 18 carries.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #258
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm not complaining about the CPU not being able to run the ball after what Adrian Peterson (and to a lesser extent Chester Taylor) just did to me. Holy crap. 250+ yards for Peterson on about 18 carries.

Are you using the sliders posted earlier in this thread? I am and Brandon Jacobs shredded the Eagles defense against me tonight.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #259
TroyF
Coordinator

Not sure if I read it here or somewhere else, but I'll tell you what I like about Bill's sliders:

You will be punished severely if you make the incorrect read on defense. If you call a 3/4 blitz with the ROLB and take that LB inside when the blitz should have been outside? You'll be destroyed by any run to that side. It took me multiple games to figure out how to play the right way.

It's the same thing on offense. Run the ball where it's supposed to go, make a move at the right time and you can gain yards. Break a play off at the wrong time, get creamed.

FWIW, I still play on very fast, but I slowed the CPU's pass rush and upped my pass blocking. They still come at me very, very quickly, but I'm more comfortable making my pre snap reads.

With Bill's sliders, I'm ready to call this the graphical football game I've ever played. (as stated above, I just don't use the flat or drag exploit. I can get very realistic numbers if I avoid those routes.)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #260
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Bengals had 707 total yards which seems high, as does Palmer's yardage total, but this was out of the box and passing was the only thing that Cincy could get going all game.
That is pretty high. Would have been a Bengals team record and second most yards for a team in NFL history. If you were able to put up over 400 yards, you would have broken the combined NFL record which has stood for 59 year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #261
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I tried running the Wildcat a couple times to no avail. It also wouldn't let me select Pat White as the one to get the ball in the Wildcat, just other RBs. I thought I saw a post on how to fix this I'm not sure.

I realized too late that when you sub players for formations, it keeps them there for that formation and you have to switch back. Is there an option to auto-sub when your guys get tired so you don't have to do that yourself?

Yeah select the wildcat formation, hit left on the right stick two or three times until it says either "backup QB" or "backup QB at RB" (I forget what it's called) and White will be behind center with Brown where Williams is normally. But remember to put White in as the second string QB in the depth chart or else you'll find yourself running around with Henne back there. I've had better luck running than passing with him out of the formation so far. Also putting him in the game and doing the QB Sneak play from the goalline formation works great in short yardage situations.

The game auto-subs tired players by default.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #262
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
With Bill's sliders, I'm ready to call this the graphical football game I've ever played. (as stated above, I just don't use the flat or drag exploit. I can get very realistic numbers if I avoid those routes.)

Hasn't that exploit been around for years now? If so, the game can make no legitimate claim to being the greatest anything. That's just prestidigitation. "Look what's in my OTHER hand!"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #263
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Though I still have my earlier concerns I still have to say this is one of the best football gams in terms of gameplay that I can remember.

Just got through my second franchise game and loved it. The Saints were killing me, I could not stop their passing attack most of the game. Down 17-7 late in the third and the Saints were driving. Asante jumps a route at the goal line for the pick and has daylight in front of him for the touchdown to make it 17-14. They drive and got a field goal to make it 20-14. I went on a methodical drive that ended in a field goal to mke it 20-17 with enough time to get the ball back if we could stop them.

We got the ball back wioth 1:50 left and 1 timeout remaining. A big time reception and broken tackle by Macklin puts us in field goal range. Another big reception by him ver the middle ends in a fumble at the 12 but a booth review. He was clearly down and it was reversed. The next play McNabb finds Jackson in the corner of the end zone for the touchdown and a 24-20 lead but there is still 45 second left and they have all 3 timeouts left.

After a short gain on first down they complete a pass to Shockey for about 12 yards and as he is being twisted to the ground the ball gets ripped out. It is picked up and returned for the touchdown to give us a 30-21 lead but the play goes to review. The replay shows the ball coming out before the knee is down and the play stands. PaT and a 31-20 win.

What I loved the most was the way that last fumble happened. It was a gang tackle situation where one player was fighting for the tackle and the other reached in and ripped the ball out. I don't remember seeing that kind of detail in a football game. Usually it is a player gets hit and the ball just kind of pops out of their hands.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #264
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Hasn't that exploit been around for years now? If so, the game can make no legitimate claim to being the greatest anything. That's just prestidigitation. "Look what's in my OTHER hand!"

I've hid nothing in the flaws of this game. There are flaws and I can see people hating it with a passion. I'm perfectly fine with it. Anyone who reads my posts knows that I'm not using sleight of hand or trickery to hide the flaws.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to what Bill Abner said about it early on. What can and can't you live with? If the flat pass exploit causes your head to explode, you can't live with it and you move on. If you don't like the fact that 10% of the time the CPU will have poor late clock game management, head on out the other door.

For me the flat exploit is easily avoided, doesn't impact the realism of the stats or how easy/hard it is for me or the computer to move the ball, and doesn't impact gameplay in anyway.

All I know is this: I'm getting realistic stats, I see major differences between scrubs and great players, my good decisions get rewarded, my poor decisions get punished, every single game is a different experience even with the same two teams against each other, the graphics are top notch, and when I get done with a game I cannot wait to play another, even after a solid 6 days of playing the game.

It's not for everyone, but it is for me.

I also don't have this ridiculous sentimental feel for other games that some people have. I think I've played every football game ever made and only a handful approach the fun I have with this game. (Tecmo Bowl, NCAA '04, NFL2K5, Madden '93)
Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #265
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

Aside from boosting/criticizing Madden, this post makes no sense from a reading comprehension standpoint.

Troy said that this was the "best" graphical football game his played. He did not say it was perfect nor without flaws. If he had said it was "perfect", then you may have a point.

Further, what the hell does a sleight of hand have to do with anything here. What is in the other hand?

Methinks you just had a big word in your head and wanted to use it somewhere.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #266
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like he is into self-flaggelation.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #267
Butter
Coordinator

Actually, what Troy said was:

Quote:
I'm ready to call this the graphical football game I've ever played.

I don't see the word best here!!! Maybe he was going to see "prestidigitation-est".
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #268
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'll throw this statement out there:

This game has already given me some of the best moments which I have ever had in a graphical football game.

I'll also add:

It has given me a couple head scratching let downs which keep me from annointing it completely.

Overall I am enjoying it and to be honest, that is what counts.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #269
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I've hid nothing in the flaws of this game. There are flaws and I can see people hating it with a passion. I'm perfectly fine with it. Anyone who reads my posts knows that I'm not using sleight of hand or trickery to hide the flaws.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to what Bill Abner said about it early on. What can and can't you live with? If the flat pass exploit causes your head to explode, you can't live with it and you move on. If you don't like the fact that 10% of the time the CPU will have poor late clock game management, head on out the other door.

For me the flat exploit is easily avoided, doesn't impact the realism of the stats or how easy/hard it is for me or the computer to move the ball, and doesn't impact gameplay in anyway.

All I know is this: I'm getting realistic stats, I see major differences between scrubs and great players, my good decisions get rewarded, my poor decisions get punished, every single game is a different experience even with the same two teams against each other, the graphics are top notch, and when I get done with a game I cannot wait to play another, even after a solid 6 days of playing the game.

It's not for everyone, but it is for me.

I also don't have this ridiculous sentimental feel for other games that some people have. I think I've played every football game ever made and only a handful approach the fun I have with this game. (Tecmo Bowl, NCAA '04, NFL2K5, Madden '93)

Nah, I meant with respect to EA. Not that YOU were engaging in sleight-of-hand.

That EA was saying "Ooh, look, ignore all this stuff that we can't be bothered with, look how cool THIS is!"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #270
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Someone help a longtime 2K5 player out...

1. KICKS/PUNTS - How do I avoid the shank? I understand the general premise is straight back and straight forward, but I seem to get a few more shanks than should be normal.

2. PLAY ACTION - Is this broken or is it just me? I feel like I'm setting it up well and running it on the proper situations but the defense never bites.

3. DEFENSIVE SUGGESTIONS - I quickly noticed that the Ask Madden play call feature is awful. I'm competent enough to realize I need 5 DB's against a 3 WR set, etc. However, I'm not that schooled on the individual nuances. When do I go zone as opposed to man, blitz, zone blitz, cover 2, etc.

4. ACCELERATED CLOCK - While I'm getting a reasonable number of plays, I find that I have almost no time at the line to call hot routes/audibles, etc. I'm playing with a 12 minute quarter/15 second run-off. I assume to get what I'm looking for, I'd adjust to something like an 11 minute quarter/10 second run-off to give me a bit more time at the line? Can I set it so that only the computer has the run off? I assume not.

5. PASS RUSH MOVES - Like most, I typically use the RE. Are the basic pass rush moves done just using the right thumb stick? Any tips?

6. MEN IN MOTION - I want the guy to run half way across and then back to his original spot on the line. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #271
RainMaker
General Manager

Madden 2001 is still my favorite Madden of all time.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #272
Groundhog
Coordinator

I played the heck out of the Madden with Vick on the cover. The PC version that is.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #273
Logan
Head Coach

On kicking, if you end up aiming the arrow anything but straight, you'll need to match that same angle when you're pulling the stick down and up. So if your accuracy arrow is aimed left, push down and right and then up and left. If you're just going straight, you'll shank it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #274
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
On kicking, if you end up aiming the arrow anything but straight, you'll need to match that same angle when you're pulling the stick down and up. So if your accuracy arrow is aimed left, push down and right and then up and left. If you're just going straight, you'll shank it.

I figured this out the hard way.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #275
TroyF
Coordinator

Someone help a longtime 2K5 player out...

1. KICKS/PUNTS - How do I avoid the shank? I understand the general premise is straight back and straight forward, but I seem to get a few more shanks than should be normal.

As has been said, straight back, straight up, no shanks.

2. PLAY ACTION - Is this broken or is it just me? I feel like I'm setting it up well and running it on the proper situations but the defense never bites.

This is where you have to really scout. I highly recommend scouting the other team before you play. What you are looking for is awareness rating and play recognitionion. A team full of high awareness players will rarely bite on play action. (ie: you aren't fooling a Champ Bailey or Ed Reed that often) I've had success fooling a defense with play action and fooling them with draw plays on occasion as well.

3. DEFENSIVE SUGGESTIONS - I quickly noticed that the Ask Madden play call feature is awful. I'm competent enough to realize I need 5 DB's against a 3 WR set, etc. However, I'm not that schooled on the individual nuances. When do I go zone as opposed to man, blitz, zone blitz, cover 2, etc.

Ask Madden sucks. I'd browse through this if I were you. hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_strategy. It goes over zone, man to man, cover 2 and all of it.

4. ACCELERATED CLOCK - While I'm getting a reasonable number of plays, I find that I have almost no time at the line to call hot routes/audibles, etc. I'm playing with a 12 minute quarter/15 second run-off. I assume to get what I'm looking for, I'd adjust to something like an 11 minute quarter/10 second run-off to give me a bit more time at the line? Can I set it so that only the computer has the run off? I assume not.

Nope, can't set it so only the computer has the run off. I don't know what the solution to this one is to be honest. I guess it would be lower quarters. I'm playing 13 minutes with a 15 second run off and getting the correct number of plays. (about 120 offensive snaps a game.)

5. PASS RUSH MOVES - Like most, I typically use the RE. Are the basic pass rush moves done just using the right thumb stick? Any tips?

Turbo right away, right stick for spin move and power moves. Again, look at the scouting. It's not going to be easy if you're trying to beat Ryan Clady or Joe Thomas. Also keep in mind, you are only getting to the QB a few times a game as a rule. 1 sack a game for a DL is an MVP type of season. You'll only get a few more pressures a game. So don't be frustrated by that.

6. MEN IN MOTION - I want the guy to run half way across and then back to his original spot on the line. Is this possible?

Honestly, I haven't tried this. I'll have to play around with it tonight.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #276
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm pretty sure guys in motion have to go all the way to their new spot before they can turn around.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #277
rowech
Pro Starter

Any word on a patch?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #278
Izulde
Head Coach

Superstar Mode is a terrible disappointment again. I couldn't even see what round I got drafted in.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #279
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

1. It's hard to get any passing game going with the Chiefs' offensive line.

2. It's even tougher when Cassel gets knocked out of the game. Can you say 9 in the box?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #280
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Superstar Mode is a terrible disappointment again. I couldn't even see what round I got drafted in.

While it wasn't great I think a couple years ago was probably the best they did with it and have gone backwards since.

Back they you got to sit through the draft to wait to be drafted and you could also watch the game unfold when you weren't in without either simming when you weren't out there or having to play when you weren't on the field.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #281
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I played the heck out of Superstar mode in 08, although I had to do it as QB because as a HB I got tired of my QB always playing Donovan McNabb during two minute drills and eating clock instead of trying to score. I had a ton of fun, and it was the only way I could play because I could finish a game in under 30 minutes (WHERE IS MY IN-GAME SAVE? NFL 2K5 HAD IT, BRING IT TO MADDEN PLEASE!).
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #282
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm pretty sure guys in motion have to go all the way to their new spot before they can turn around.
Why do they do that? The old game you could move at will. I just don't get why they'd change a motion system that was really solid 10 years ago.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A good tip that I picked up from OS is that you should never press turbo when rushing the passer. The hypothesis (which I now believe) is that pressing turbo activates the QB's "panic mode" and causes all of the throws out of near sacks. In my first 2 pre-season games, I only had 1 sack in each of them. Midway through the 3rd quarter, I now have 4 sacks against Jacksonville.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #284
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
A good tip that I picked up from OS is that you should never press turbo when rushing the passer. The hypothesis (which I now believe) is that pressing turbo activates the QB's "panic mode" and causes all of the throws out of near sacks. In my first 2 pre-season games, I only had 1 sack in each of them. Midway through the 3rd quarter, I now have 4 sacks against Jacksonville.

I wonder if that's standard on guys that are supposed to blitz. I sometimes use the FS to blitz (even though he's supposed to be the deep safety, just to try to get around the outside. I did it twice today against the Packers...once I got the pass result, the other I did get a sack (and a fumble).

Otherwise, I usually just let the line do their thing. They seem to get more sacks that way.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #285
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Dola...I did finish my first game on Bill's sliders, though I kept the speed at normal because I prefer the slower pace. I beat the Packers as the Colts 41-20. I hadn't adjusted Interceptions, so Rodgers threw 3 although I thought 2 were legit, one was super LB.

I adjusted the interceptions to the right spot, and I had to stop at halftime but was having a GREAT game. I was the Eagles playing the Vikings (with Favre). It was 6-3 at halftime, Eagles up. Twice I got first and goal and couldn't score...Eagles can't run in the red zone. I picked off Favre once and shot them down in the red zone, but Peterson was killing me between the 20s.

Loving this game a lot. I haven't touched NCAA since this came out, and I am a big fan of this year's NCAA. I'll go back when I start my franchise to get my draft files going.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #286
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm doing better since I stopped using "Ask Madden" for every play since someone said those are never the plays you want. I still haven't won a game against the computer but I'm doing better now. I think varying the play calls really matters in the game or at least that's the impression I get. You can't target Larry Fitzgerald 25 times a game without consequences, as I learned today.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #287
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I really suck. I just got my ass kicked by the Raiders. Ass kicked is relative to the score. I held them to little offense and moved up and down the field against them. Unfortunately I threw 4 picks and fumbled the ball away one time. The picks were entirely my fault, trying to force a throw. They scored once on a 98 yard interception return and once one a kickoff return.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #288
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Well, I had a game that I thought would make me change the sliders totally. Playing the Colts, I faced the Pats and built a 38-7 lead at halftime. Manning was flawless, we picked Brady twice, and they also had a fumble. I'm thinking, this is too easy. The 2nd half was totally different. I couldn't do anything I did in the 1st half, and Brady was beating the blitz that got to him earlier by hitting Welker and Morris on quick passes (Welker ended with 10 catches) The Pats came back and I only scored a FG in the 2nd and held on to a 41-29 win. It was a fun game, so maybe I'll stick with Bill's sliders a little longer.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #289
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Looks like DQ's version 2 sliders are going over quite well!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #290
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

They are too hard for me. I can't pass into a jacked up pass coverage like he has. I need CPU and my skill to be about the same in this game. Even with that, the Saints' Brees is absolutely working me right now and I'm about to lose to them in the 2nd week of my franchise.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #291
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Is anyone else having trouble confusing the ref with a player? I just had Maclin catch a ball, thought I was about to be tackled and I juked the ref. Still got a nice TD from it as he absolutely burnt his man.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #292
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
What's different from the first set?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #293
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Darn. I was down 31-21 with 7 minutes to go when I posted that I was going to lose to the Saints. McNabb hit Maclin for a long TD with 4 minutes to go and then they fumbled the kickoff which we recovered. Westbrook had a rushing TD with a little under 2 minutes to go to make it 35-31.

Then, Brees ran one of the best 2 minute drills I've ever seen the AI run in Madden. He threw almost exclusively towards the sidelines and when he didn't, they ran up and spiked it. While it is not perfect, it is nice to see that this version runs off more time than previous versions and guys just can't magically get in position in 2 or 3 seconds.

That cost me as they scored with 32 seconds left and after a deep completion over the middle, I realized I was out of timeouts and it took my guys almost 10 seconds to get set for the hurry-up play. As a result, I ran out of time before I could get into FG range. It was great to see how badly the Saints' secondary played Randall Gay and Greer were just no match for Maclin and Jackson's speed. I just couldn't stop Brees as he exploited our horrible linebackers with many underneath passes. Pierre Thomas was difficult to stop as well.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-23-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #294
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
What's different from the first set?

They give more of an advantage to the CPU to make for a harder game. Personally, his first set gave me plenty of challenge. I am incorporating some of the changes he made, but keep them balanced for both sides like his first set was. Anyway, here is his sliders copied from OS:

By Bill Harris

VERSION 2****VERSION 2***VERSION 2

GAME OPTIONS
Quarter length: 12
Play clock: On
Accel clock runoff: 15 seconds
Injuries: 50 (still checking)
Fatigue: 50 (still checking)
Game speed: Fast*
Player min speed thresh: 70
Camera angle: Wide
Fight For the Fumble: Off

PENALTIES:
Offside 100
False Start 100
Holding 52 (very touchy--don't go higher than this)
Facemask at 62* [1]
Def PI 100
Off PI 100
KR/PR Int 70
Clipping 75
Int Grounding 70
Rough Passer 75
Rough Kicker 75

PLAYER SKILL
(note: at first, it looks like there are only four sliders. Press "A" on each to access the sub-settings (thanks to Bill Abner for the tip).
Passing:
QB Accuracy 20
Pass Blocking 80*
WR Catching 50
Rushing:
Broken Tackles 55 [2]
Run Blocking 100
Fumbles 25
Pass Defense:
Reaction Time 15* [3]
Interceptions 25
Pass Rushing 70* [4]
Rush Defense:
Reaction Time 5
Block Shedding 0
Tackling 45

CPU SKILL
Passing:
QB Accuracy 25* [5]
Pass Blocking 80*
WR Catching 50
Rushing:
Broken Tackles 55
Run Blocking 100
Fumbles 25
Pass Defense:
Reaction Time 100* [6]
Interceptions 25
Pass Rushing 95* [7]
Rush Defense:
Reaction Time 5
Block Shedding 0
Tackling 45

SPECIAL TEAMS
FG Power 60* [8]
FG Accuracy 40
Punt Power 60
Punt Accuracy 80
Kickoff Power 50

* indicate settings that have changed from V1.
Notes:
[1] I was trying to get Facemask penalties to compensate for the lack of defense of pass interference penalties. It does, but it's annoying, so I lowered the setting.

[2] if you're using the truck stick and special moves extensively, you'll want to REDUCE this setting. This was balanced for players who usually let the CPU run the ball for them, or just sprint with the RB without using special moves.

[3] slightly lowered to help the CPU offense.

[4] the biggest change in this version is to the pass rush. Based on stopwatch timing, neither the CPU nor the human player had enough time to throw the ball against a standard pass rush in comparison to real NFL numbers (both were averaging below three seconds against a four-man pass rush). Now, time and the pocket should be much more realistic (slightly over three seconds for the human player, on average), and the CPU was given a bonus of about three-tenths of a second to give them more time to make decisions.

[5] I tested this setting with both the most accurate and least accurate quarterback in the league, along with a few others. It works fine with starters and backups, but third stringers with accuracy below 60 are going to struggle (as they do in real life). And if you're playing as the Giants and have to put Andre Woodson (their third string quarterback and least accurate QB in the game--accuracy in the 30's) in the game, good luck.

[6] this setting is really cranked up from version one. CPU pass defense was just too weak, and this significantly improves the CPUs ability to cover receivers.

[7] slightly lowered to increase the time that the human quarterback has to pass.

[8] slightly increased because too many lower-tier kickers had less kick power than in real life. I'm still working on this, because I'm still not completely satisfied.

I'm really pleased with how these play on Fast. The CPU passing game is much more effective, CPU Pass defense is better, and both the human player and the CPU have a more realistic length of time in the pocket.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #295
rowech
Pro Starter

Hate to ask again...is the patch out and I just missed it? I've been holding off on franchise until then.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #297
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Hate to ask again...is the patch out and I just missed it? I've been holding off on franchise until then.

No. No update on what is holding it up either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Thanks.

No problem. Bill is working on another update which should be out in a day or so to address FG kicking and rushing averages. He is doing some interesting tests with different backs vs different defenses.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #298
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Where did you find the version 2 sliders? I'm not seeing them anywhere on his blog.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #299
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I am using MY Skill and have played enough games they are starting to settle in.
After my first game they went to ~530, been as low as ~480, and peaked at 688. After all of that they seem to be pretty consistent around 590. Along with that I found these cpu adjustments at OS from Heelfan (he's been a good slider builder at OS since I've frequented the board).

Quote:
Heelfan's "MY SKILL" Sliders (Cpu adjustments)
Doing something a little different this year. I am using "MY SKill" but I have tweaked the CPU sliders to the following:

Gameplay:
15 Minute Quarters
15 Second Run Off
Speed: Slow
Threshold: 55
Fatigue: 65

CPU
Passing
QB accuracy-35
Pass Blocking-5
WR catching -40

Rushing
Broken Tackles-40
Run blocking-100 (I use 85)
Fumbles -45

Pass Defense
Reaction time-40
Interceptions-25
Pass Rushing-40

Rush Defense
Reaction Time-60
Block Shedding-40
Tackling-45

Special Teams
FG Power: 55
FG Accuracy: 35 (I use default for both power and accuracy)

FG power and accuracy, at least for me, has worked fine at default. I've seen plenty of misses and distance on KO and FG seem good too. One thing I've found is the arrow for kicks actually works this year. Lower the arrow and you get more distance with lower trajectory and more risk of being blocked. I've seen no reason to change.

With cpu runblocking at 100 I was giving up too many yards with the Vikes. I was getting hammered in my preseason games and Jamall Lewis was averaging almost 7 yards a pop in my regular season opener with Cleveland with the slider at 90. Dropped it to 85 late in the third quarter and he was still getting some 6-7 yarders through the middle but was also being stopped for 3 or 4 which wasn't happening at 90.

The rest seem to be working very well after playing 3 preseason games and 1 regular. They did have their fluctuations as they and My Skill were learning to play together So, like any My Skill setting you have to be willing to give them some time to settle in.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #300
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Whats fixed in the first patch?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote