General Manager

Woohoo, no Bags!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #252
miami_fan
Coordinator

Mo Vaughn

Radomski said that he did not sell Vaughn steroids because Vaughn was “afraid of the big needles.”
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #253
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
All non-Balco names from the report, according to Deadspin

Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte

that's 2/5 of the championship rotation of how many yankees World Series? can I get an asterisk?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
can I get an asterisk?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #255
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
There is no positive test. There is no link to a BALCO or such.

That was kind of the point of the Mitchell report though, to reveal new evidence about new players that hadn't been tied to Balco or positive tests.

Though like I said before, it's obviously not going to be 100% all-encompassing.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #256
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
But it can cover those ON the list.

Sure, let's just not label everyone else "clean".

I'm convinved the % of players who has used a banned substance is in the neighborhood of 80-85%, so this list isn't a huge deal or revelation.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #257
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the point of the Mitchell report was originally to put an end to the steroid era by giving an all-encompassing account of what happened. IMO, it seems to evolved into a general account of what was going on and some great recommendations on where to go from here.

I don't think the report was an amazing piece of work that shed light on the dark corners of the steroid era, but I do think Mitchell did a pretty damn good job considering what he had to work with. A lot of people are just skimming it for names and its a shame, because that isn't really the point of it. I've read probably the first 70 or so pages so far and its pretty interesting and, IMO, very fair.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #258
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That was kind of the point of the Mitchell report though, to reveal new evidence about new players that hadn't been tied to Balco or positive tests.

Though like I said before, it's obviously not going to be 100% all-encompassing.

That is what I am saying. At this point there has been a lot less evidence linking McGwire and Sosa to drug use than the others.

On a side note, do we need to re-evaluate Rafael Palmeiro's claim that he got a tainted B-12 shot from Miguel Tejada? Obviously, Tejada is not the innocent teammate that we all thought he was in 2005. Maybe Raffy was telling the truth.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #259
Rizon
Pro Starter

It took me 4 years to get back into baseball after the last strike. I think it will take longer than that for me to get back into the game again. I feel cheated and lied to. A lot of my favorite players are on that list.

I stopped watching the NBA after the last lockout, and never watched since. I'm done with the Olympics already, and pretty much done with the NFL due to poor game coverage. I have no more sports left to watch anymore, so I guess I might as well learn to knit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #260
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I feel cheated and lied to.

I think we found another person that has been living in a cave.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #261
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think we found another person that has been living in a cave.

I wanted to believe in the good of man.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #262
Rizon
Pro Starter

I had a feeling Jack Cust was on the juice. I mean, dude comes out and hits 89 homers this year after previously not hitting any homers not even in high school?

Can the 89 A's get an asterisk too? Fuckin posers.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #263
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #264
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I have seen the mystics play there
Once or twice but I knew they had a reason
Enchantment plays it's cards all right
Hand in hand with the working of the seasons

Legends can be now and forever
Teaching us to love for goodness sake
Loved by the sun, loved by the sun
Loved

Two and two go so close together
Whether there is hope that is torn apart
In the words of all that's singing
Hand in hand the beginning is at the start

Teaching us to reach for goodness sake
Loved by the sun
Loved by the sun
Loved

Who sings of all of love's eternity
Whose shines so bright
In all the songs of love's unending spells

Only lightning strikes all that's evil
Hear the music of love eternal
Teaching us to reach for goodness sake

Sweet songs of youth, the wise, the meeting of all wisdom
To believe in the good in man.
To believe in the good in man.
To believe in the good in man
Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #265
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

How sad is it, that in the midst of these troubled times for baseball, it appears Jose Canseco might have been the sane one after all?

He said in an interview with Rome before the first book came out that he wanted to be responsible for cleaning up baseball. I scoffed like so many others, but really who had more of a driving impact?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-13-2007 at 09:25 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #266
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
who had more of a driving impact?

Somewhere, off in the distance, a porsche screams.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #267
molson
General Manager

Quote:
How sad is it, that in the midst of these troubled times for baseball, it appears Jose Canseco might have been the sane one after all?

He said in an interview with Rome before the first book came out that he wanted to be responsible for cleaning up baseball. I scoffed like so many others, but really who had more of a driving impact?

I really can't believe people doubted him for so long.

I mean, it wasn't going to be a choir boy that would expose (or know details about) baseball's seedy secrets.

Last edited by molson : 12-13-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #268
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

No so much that I doubted him, just amazed that he is the voice of reason...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-13-2007 at 09:46 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #269
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
the smaller percentage of users in the Steroids Era created aberations.

Considering the information is mainly from only three sources I highly doubt these 60+ named are the only ones that cheated.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #270
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It is obviously not a comprehensive list. One shouldn't just stop at those not named and assume they are all not using steroids or anything.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #271
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's true but I don't think it would reach anywhere near the percentages of the other sports mentioned. I'm keying off of the statement in the report about how a relatively few were creating an unfair advantage by cheating.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #272
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Completely agree with the above posts. Unfortunately, that appears to be what some people are taking out of it. These sources are basically just covering off "the supply guy" for about 3-5 teams. It's basically just the Mets guy, the Yanks guy and BALCO. It's not like these were the only three sources for steroids out there. I'm pretty sure players from the Cubs/White Sox could find a guy in Chicago for supplements.

What you really want to do is take that list and multiply it by about 10 to give you a more accurate reflection of the mass consumption and abuse of PE in the late 90's in baseball. There was probably quite a few more big name guys out there that should be on that list that aren't.

And just for fun I'll quote myself from earlier this year:

Quote:
Is it not fair to assume that a number of pitchers that Bonds hit these homers against were also on the juice?

Lets take a look at the two issues of weight gain and longevity - Roger Clemens put on similar gains from his rookie season to current day weight and has displayed a similar ability to maintain strong performances far past a normal athlete's peak. Why do I rarely hear steroid allegations and never hear calls to keep Clemens out of the Hall?

Clemens was actually on the decline before he left Boston. The late 90's arrive and at the age of 35 he magically revives himself, dominating again for a number of years before baseball cleans itself up and he again suffers a decline in his abilities.

The same can be said for Randy Johnson. Take a look at his numbers leading up to the mid-90's and then his numbers beyond that, leading up to around 2004-2005 and then his numbers since. For his first ten years from 1988-1997, Johnson threw 300+ K's once. Starting in 1998 (at age 34) he threw 300+ K's for five straight seasons (from age 31-40, Nolan Ryan did not hit 300 K's in any season). Do we hear anything about Johnson?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #273
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

There is always women's softball. At least until the big bra-stuffing scandal breaks.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #274
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's pretty funny to hear Kurkijan try to defend Clemens. "If everything in the report was true he wouldn't have come out so strongly and denied it"... uh yeah dumbass nobody ever lies to defend themselves. He's not under oath, he and his lawyer can say whatever the hell they want.

For me, the cap fits Clemens just as much as it fits Bonds. You shouldn't be able to come back at 35 after a lot of people have given up on you with an improved fastball and start striking people out at a record pace. I had never looked at Randy Johnson's numbers that way either, but that has got to be the juice too.

I feel sorry for the Hall of Fame. Bonds ball goes in with an asterisk, now where do you stop?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #275
rowech
Pro Starter

Kurkijan can be alright but you are correct in how naive he is. It's sickening. Then Gammons is on his high horse about players he likes as well. They all deserve each other. Baseball ended for me in '94 and I just need to accept that fact.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #276
Danny
Head Coach

It's unfortunate this was such a large part of baseball and probably still is to a degree. Still, out of curiosity, are you fans who are giving up on baseball, have you liked professional football throughout the years? You do realize football players have been juicing for dozens of years now and likely still continue to use various performance enhancers that cant be detected.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #277
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
It's unfortunate this was such a large part of baseball and probably still is to a degree. Still, out of curiosity, are you fans who are giving up on baseball, have you liked professional football throughout the years? You do realize football players have been juicing for dozens of years now and likely still continue to use various performance enhancers that cant be detected.

this has been addressed. At least football has been trying to deal with the problem. Instead of sweeping it under the rug and saying "What problem?".

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #278
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
this has been addressed. At least football has been trying to deal with the problem. Instead of sweeping it under the rug and saying "What problem?".

Well, giving the appearance of dealing with the problem. PR wise, the NFL is doing wonderfully. But in actual usage, I don't think the NFL is that much better than MLB.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #279
Butter
Coordinator

So, any Reds fans still wondering how Hal Morris got on there? He was a solid hitter for 5-6 years there, but the guy hit like 3 HR's a year. He must've REALLY sucked without the juice.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #280
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I really can't believe people doubted him for so long.

I mean, it wasn't going to be a choir boy that would expose (or know details about) baseball's seedy secrets.

Quote:
No so much that I doubted him, just amazed that he is the voice of reason...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,6539890.story

Quote:
During yesterday's Fox Business Network's "Happy Hour," Jose Canseco had an observation concerning a current, very prominent Yankee. When asked whether Alex Rodriguez should have been mentioned in the Mitchell Report, Canseco responded: "All I can say is the Mitchell Report is incomplete. I could not believe that his name was not in the report."
Old 12-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #281
Logan
Head Coach

Canseco has a second book coming out. I believe it's called, "I Fucking Told You."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #282
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This report isn't actually all that bad from a PR standpoint.

You knew there would be a lot of players on the list, but if you were going to make a list of players who have been whispered about that MLB had to really hope wouldn't be mentioned, I think it would look something like:

- Pujols
- Griffey
- Thomas
- Ramirez
- Ortiz
- Clemens
- Alex Rodriguez
- Ivan Rodriguez

One out of eight isn't bad at all, and I'm sure I'm missing a few...

P.S. Am I reading this right, and Juan Gonzalez isn't on the list? That's almost a dead giveaway that "the list" isn't complete, isn't it?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #283
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

You knew there would be a lot of players on the list, but if you were going to make a list of players who have been whispered about that MLB had to really hope wouldn't be mentioned, I think it would look something like:

- Pujols
- Griffey
- Thomas
- Ramirez
- Ortiz
- Clemens
- Alex Rodriguez
- Ivan Rodriguez

P.S. Am I reading this right, and Juan Gonzalez isn't on the list? That's almost a dead giveaway that "the list" isn't complete, isn't it?

What? Aren't three of those on the list?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #284
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Um... no?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #285
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
It's pretty funny to hear Kurkijan try to defend Clemens. "If everything in the report was true he wouldn't have come out so strongly and denied it"... uh yeah dumbass nobody ever lies to defend themselves. He's not under oath, he and his lawyer can say whatever the hell they want.

Yeah, didn't Michael Vick come out and strongly deny the whole dog fighting thing when it was first announced?

I watched a little ESPN News last night, just hear what the talking heads were saying. I can see the report leading to changes to the way baseball approaches drug testing and the like. But I can't see any reason to investiage past steroid use or any of the allegations made in this report. What will come of it? The MLB wont erase the records or anything like that. Is an asteriks really worth all of the time, money, and energy that would go into such investigations?

The only future impact I can see this having would be on these players' chances to make the Hall of Fame.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #286
Butter
Coordinator

They showed like 5-10 minutes of Clemens working out with Pettitte on ESPNEWS. Why?

Then I flipped over to ESPN Classic and saw Clemens in like 4 "This is SportsCenter" commercials. Do they love him or hate him? Even they don't know.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #287
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Classic.

There is one of those "breaking news" headlines at the top of the CNN.com page that says: "AP: President Bush says baseball must take steroid report seriously, but not jump to conclusions about individuals named."

Thanks, Mr. President! I'm glad you're paying attention to the serious issues. Now, if only you had followed your own advice and taken those pre-war reports seriously and not jump to conclusions about weapons of mass destructions and all that other nonsense, perhaps we'd have saved thousands of lives and trillions of dollars and not be mired in a useless, pointless and destructive war!

Well, I guess his statement shows that at least he's learned something from all of this. Well done, Mr. President!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #288
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Kurkijan can be alright but you are correct in how naive he is. It's sickening. Then Gammons is on his high horse about players he likes as well. They all deserve each other. Baseball ended for me in '94 and I just need to accept that fact.

+1

i havnt watched a game since then
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #289
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Baseball aside for a moment, have you ever seen Canseco on the Surreal Life? He was on it a couple of years ago with Janice Dickinson and some other people, and WOW!!! He is a real piece of work. (My wife watches that crap and I saw a little bit of them )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #290
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
There is always women's softball. At least until the big bra-stuffing scandal breaks.

LOL

Have you seen some of those female softball players? I wouldn't be surprised to see THEM named in the Mitchell report as well.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #291
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, giving the appearance of dealing with the problem. PR wise, the NFL is doing wonderfully. But in actual usage, I don't think the NFL is that much better than MLB.

people dont care about roids in football, we kinda expect them to be crazed man-beasts beating on each other. plus football doesnt circle-jerk around "hallowed records" and the "purity of the game" crap. football sells its self on the competative entertainment, baseball sells its self on phoney historical records and tradition. btw where were all these baseball purist on tv complaining about the players in the golden age of baseball ( 50-70's) when it was discovered practically every player was loading up on "leaded coffee" and other amphetamines? thats more of a performance enhancer then roids

Last edited by bulletsponge : 12-14-2007 at 10:12 AM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #292
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

- Pujols
- Griffey
- Thomas
- Ramirez
- Ortiz
- Clemens
- Alex Rodriguez
- Ivan Rodriguez

David Ortiz has a huge melon. Griffey, with all of his injuries, probably juiced at some point in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Manny Ramirez did, but for some reason I doubt it. I am sure Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez did. Ditto for Frank Thomas. Not sure about Pujols. We already know about Clemens. That leaves A-Rod. After seeing pictures of him when he was with Seattle compared to pictures of him last year, I would not at all be surprised to see his name surface at some point. His arms, neck, and thighs are huge compared to a decade ago. The thing that would cause me to pause with him is the fact that his numbers have remained constant throughout. It's not like he hit 10 homeruns in 2000, then all of a sudden started hitting 50 every year. But by his looks, it would not surprise me. Otherwise, he might really just have an intense workout....

Quote:
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #293
Butter
Coordinator

I continue to deny that Griffey did steroids... or if he did, he got the least out of them over the last few years of anyone in the history of the universe.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #294
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

It pretty much did for me as well. Except during the playoffs, then I watch the Red Sox. But that's about it.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #295
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I continue to deny that Griffey did steroids... or if he did, he got the least out of them over the last few years of anyone in the history of the universe.

I dunno, Jerry Hairston, Jr. wasn't exactly winning batting titles.....

Quote:
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #296
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
David Ortiz has a huge melon. Griffey, with all of his injuries, probably juiced at some point in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Manny Ramirez did, but for some reason I doubt it. I am sure Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez did. Ditto for Frank Thomas. Not sure about Pujols. We already know about Clemens. That leaves A-Rod. After seeing pictures of him when he was with Seattle compared to pictures of him last year, I would not at all be surprised to see his name surface at some point. His arms, neck, and thighs are huge compared to a decade ago. The thing that would cause me to pause with him is the fact that his numbers have remained constant throughout. It's not like he hit 10 homeruns in 2000, then all of a sudden started hitting 50 every year. But by his looks, it would not surprise me. Otherwise, he might really just have an intense workout....
I'm not saying none of those guys have ever used anything. Just that having almost all of them left out of the report has to be considered relatively good news for baseball.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #297
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I dunno, Jerry Hairston, Jr. wasn't exactly winning batting titles.....

I'm talking injury-wise though. Steroids are supposed to help you recover more quickly from injuries. Griffey has become a running joke due to injuries.

Not saying he hasn't done them, because in my opinion, everyone is under suspicion at this point.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #298
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm talking injury-wise though. Steroids are supposed to help you recover more quickly from injuries. Griffey has become a running joke due to injuries.

Not saying he hasn't done them, because in my opinion, everyone is under suspicion at this point.

Injury-wise you should include Eric Gagne as well. Even Kevin Brown (not named in the report but.....).

Quote:
Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #299
MikeVic
Head Coach

Just fold the league already and start a new one with new records from scratch. Imagine every night with headlines like "ARod breaks the career HR mark with 5 HR."
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #300
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Just fold the league already and start a new one with new records from scratch. Imagine every night with headlines like "ARod breaks the career HR mark with 5 HR."

Ha, just like one of the older versions of OOTP when you'd sim the first game of a career and records were being broken on seemingly every play.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote