Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #251
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If Washington's out of conference schedule was stronger they would have been ranked higher.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #252
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington's only loss was by 13 to the #9 team. Clemson's only loss was by 1 to the #23 team. Seems not too dissimilar when you consider strength of opponents. Washington also had wins of 31 points vs. #10 and 38 points vs. the #18 team. Clemson had wins of 6 points vs. #6, 6 points vs. #13, 3 points vs. #11 and 7 points vs. #22. Higher volume of wins vs. top-25 for Clemson, but far less impressive margins.

I get that our OOC schedule was poor (though again, Rutgers was scheduled when they were good), but the actual performance on the field is not less than Clemson.

I'll be very curious to see the next rankings from Sagarin, S&P and FEI. I would bet that the decisive win over Colorado vaults the Huskies ahead of Clemson.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #253
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

S&P's are out, and they don't happen to agree -- though it's close, which I think it should be. Clemson is 4th, Washington 6th, with a gap between of them of just under a point. In other words, flip a coin, but if you have to choose, Clemson.

Edit: I think part of that is they didn't have Colorado as high as CFP(15th last week, 17th now). Similarly, they have Louisville higher, which benefits Clemson.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-04-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #254
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
S&P's are out, and they don't happen to agree -- though it's close, which I think it should be. Clemson is 4th, Washington 6th, with a gap between of them of just under a point. In other words, flip a coin, but if you have to choose, Clemson.

Edit: I think part of that is they didn't have Colorado as high as CFP(15th last week, 17th now). Similarly, they have Louisville higher, which benefits Clemson.
They'll jump Clemson in Sagarin for sure given how close they were prior to this weekend, and given how close they are in FEI - and how they rated Colorado and Virginia Tech respectively - they probably jump ahead there too.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #255
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

And my bigger point is just that I don't see how a neutral observer has Clemson clearly ahead of Washington - and worthy of jumping Ohio State - while Washington was at risk of being passed by Penn State. Not unless there's some extra credit for last season and/or some bias for southern football/against west coast football.

Somewhat moot point I know as Washington is in, and if they want to win it all you probably have to go through Alabama either way. But I think the committee missed a chance to set up more interesting 1st round match-ups, with a 'Bama vs. Clemson rematch and a Pac-12/Big Ten matchup in the other.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #256
hollmt
High School Varsity

I think that is possibly a part of it (although it would never be admitted to) on what the committee did. Having OSU/Clemson matchup and the winner facing (unfortunately in all likelihood, Bama) makes for better stories.

Possible rematch between 2014 champ OSU and 2015 champ Bama.
Possible rematch between Bama and Clemson.

I will be rooting for Washington, and I am glad they made it in. I think they deserve a shot. I don't however, think it is beneath human nature to make possible matchups a possibility. Last year, I think they seeded OU 3 instead of 4 with the goal and intent of a possible Bama/OU final matchup because it promoted better.

And, by seeding Washington 4 instead of a possible jump to 3, keeps that door open for Bama/OSU or Bama/Clemson in the final game.

Conspiracy theory at work I know Do with it what you will.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #257
Butter
Coordinator

ACC is a much higher rated conference than the Pac 12. There are lots of criteria that I'm sure they weighed, and I would bet that Clemson wins more of those criteria than Washington.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #258
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
ACC is a much higher rated conference than the Pac 12. There are lots of criteria that I'm sure they weighed, and I would bet that Clemson wins more of those criteria than Washington.
Higher-rated by who? Sagarin has both the P12 North and P12 South ahead of each of the ACC divisions.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #259
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Nope. Even the computer rankings comparison mostly has the Pac-12 ahead of the ACC.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #260
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

This seems more like a case of recency bias than anything else.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #261
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think it all comes down to OOC scheduling. Playing a weaker schedule helps not only with easier wins, but also increased rest, reduced injury, etc.

The committee has repeatedly emphasized OOC scheduling.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #262
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Nope. Even the computer rankings comparison mostly has the Pac-12 ahead of the ACC.

Yes, you're right. I thought I remembered seeing and reading about the opposite being true, but it likely was from a few weeks ago.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #263
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, you're right. I thought I remembered seeing and reading about the opposite being true, but it likely was from a few weeks ago.

I cant for the life of me figure out how the Pac-10 was higher. The Pac-10 did not have a single impressive non conference win.(Perhaps Stanford beating KSU could be considered impressive)

People like to throw out USC as the #9 team in the nation but they got that ranking beating up on the Pac-10. When that team played Alabama they lost by 46. I guess they did beat the 4 win Fighting Irish by 18.

We wont know how good the Pac-10 was this year until the bowls are played because their non conference scheduling was so poor.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-04-2016 at 09:38 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #264
Buccaneer
Head Coach

A team that finished 10th (out of 11) in the Sun Belt is going to a bowl game?!?!?!? What an absolute joke.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #265
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I cant for the life of me figure out how the Pac-10 was higher. The Pac-10 did not have a single impressive non conference win.(Perhaps Stanford beating KSU could be considered impressive)

People like to throw out USC as the #9 team in the nation but they got that ranking beating up on the Pac-10. When that team played Alabama they lost by 46. I guess they did beat the 4 win Fighting Irish by 18.

We wont know how good the Pac-10 was this year until the bowls are played because their non conference scheduling was so poor.

Hard to take your take serious when you refer to it as the PAC-10.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #266
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Hard to take your take serious when you refer to it as the PAC-10.

You know what was meant.

It is just logical thinking. The Pac-12 proved so little with their non conference schedule that it is hard to know if within the conference if it was top 10 teams beating on average teams or average teams beating up on bad teams. The only team in that conference Id feel secure in the top 15 is Washington but I am basically using the end of last season and what they did this year to come to that conclusion.

At the very least the "Pac-12" needs to test themselves a bit so fans can paint a picture on the power of the conference.

Oregon, USC, and Stanford had been carrying the Pac-12 for past few years and certainly 2 of them teams took a step back this year. Colorado was a nice story but were they really this good suddenly or was the conference just that weak this year? Solid questions I know the Pac-12 fans dont like to hear.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-04-2016 at 10:12 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #267
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
A team that finished 10th (out of 11) in the Sun Belt is going to a bowl game?!?!?!? What an absolute joke.

That team finished 6-6 and of their 4 OOC wins, they beat an SEC team and the MWC champ.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #268
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa gets the Outback.
They love us there.

Traveling well has its benefits.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #269
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

I never quite get the complaining about having extra bowl games, particularly for lower conferences. At worst it's cheapish television programming. If you don't want to watch, flip over to the Home Shopping Network or History Channel. But bowls are fun for a lot of players and fans. I think it's great more kids are getting to experience it.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #270
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My gut as a Pac 12 fan is that actually.the conference wasn't very good this year, and that there was a lot more parity. I feel like most years the Pac 12 is much more bunched up together in quality than the other conferences, where the best teams, IMO, are usually much better than the worst teams. And that this year, it was even tighter because the bottom of the league was a little higher and the top a little lower.

I feel like Washington and USC are good but not great teams that largely built their resumes beating solid Pac 12 teams that nonetheless had exploitable flaws. UCLA had a great defense let down by a terrible offense. Oregon took a massive step back at QB. Stanford lost too much talent on D and QB. Colorado and Utah were solid teams that simply weren't talented enough to keep it up. Wazzu is what it is. All exploitable wins by solid coached and talented teams like UDub and SC.

I feel like the Pac 12 in most years deserves a lot more credit than it gets, but not this year. I think this was the weakest overall that the conference has been since expanding to 12 teams.

If UCLA, Oregon and Furd right their ships, I think it will be a blip, but for this year, that's how I see it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #271
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Brett McMurphy
College football reporter

NCAA President Mark Emmert says he would prefer an 8-team CFB Playoff so all Power 5 conference champions are guaranteed a bid.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #272
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Brett McMurphy
College football reporter

NCAA President Mark Emmert says he would prefer an 8-team CFB Playoff so all Power 5 conference champions are guaranteed a bid.
(and an extra 4 games of revenue)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #273
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
They'll jump Clemson in Sagarin for sure given how close they were prior to this weekend, and given how close they are in FEI - and how they rated Colorado and Virginia Tech respectively - they probably jump ahead there too.
FWIW, they did indeed jump Clemson in Sagarin's and FEI's ratings. They're also higher in ESPN's FPI.

I'll stop bitching now
Old 12-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #274
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You know what was meant.

It is just logical thinking. The Pac-12 proved so little with their non conference schedule that it is hard to know if within the conference if it was top 10 teams beating on average teams or average teams beating up on bad teams. The only team in that conference Id feel secure in the top 15 is Washington but I am basically using the end of last season and what they did this year to come to that conclusion.

At the very least the "Pac-12" needs to test themselves a bit so fans can paint a picture on the power of the conference.

Oregon, USC, and Stanford had been carrying the Pac-12 for past few years and certainly 2 of them teams took a step back this year. Colorado was a nice story but were they really this good suddenly or was the conference just that weak this year? Solid questions I know the Pac-12 fans dont like to hear.

As a fan of a Pac 12 team, I think this is fair. Truth is, the conference did play some good OOC games, but lost all of them. The funny thing is that it was the bottom of the conference that did. Oregon was terrible, and almost beat Nebraska on the road. UCLA was terrible, and almost beat Texas A&M on the road. USC got crushed by Alabama, but once they changed QB's, they've become much better. Cal was pretty bad, and almost beat a decent San Diego St. team on the road. Colorado hung with Michigan on the road most of the game.

Note that all of these games were on the road. For whatever reason, Pac 12 teams have a hard time getting people to travel out west for tough games. The only games from power 5 conferences to travel west were Texas vs. Cal, Kansas St. vs. Stanford, and Texas Tech vs. Arizona St. All of which were Pac 12 wins. And Cal and Arizona St. were pretty awful this year.

The fact is that the fan bases out west aren't as strong as they are in the midwest and south, so the teams don't have the financial incentives to play at home as much as other conferences. Also, they play 9 conference games as opposed to 8 in the SEC and ACC. Less chances to schedule a good OOC opponent.

My take is that the conference is really deep, but not a lot of power at the top. Oregon and UCLA struggling didn't help with that.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #275
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I never quite get the complaining about having extra bowl games, particularly for lower conferences. At worst it's cheapish television programming. If you don't want to watch, flip over to the Home Shopping Network or History Channel. But bowls are fun for a lot of players and fans. I think it's great more kids are getting to experience it.

At worst it's a drain on school funds for a mediocre football game that the school probably won't sell a lot of tickets to.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #276
tarcone
Coordinator

I think the extra month of practice is a big thing as well.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #277
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, I know, except for those bowls that have very small attendance, ratings and payouts.

The local sportswriter is saying things like "undeserving", "illegitimate", "comical" and "stumbling" when talking about who Air Force has to play. While I do not like the local team, they do deserve better than playing a team that finished in 10th place.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I know, except for those bowls that have very small attendance, ratings and payouts.

The local sportswriter is saying things like "undeserving", "illegitimate", "comical" and "stumbling" when talking about who Air Force has to play. While I do not like the local team, they do deserve better than playing a team that finished in 10th place.

Or maybe Air Force deserves a better bowl.

I had to look it up, but this is the one that couldn't even find a decent network deal, ended up with Sinclair. And the "10th place" thing is misleading as well, they finished tied for 8th. And it's the bowl that chose to contract with the Sun Belt, as the fifth partner for that conference. And that move came after neither CUSA nor the Sun Belt could even manage to provide an opponent last year, creating the semi-infamous MWC vs MWC bowl game.

But, hey the MWC signed the contract. That's on them,not on South Alabama.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #279
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

FCS playoff game between James Madison and Sam Houston State is on ESPN2 for those who wish to watch.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #280
tarcone
Coordinator

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #281
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

+1

In a landscape riddled with so many shitty things, it seems bizarre to me that people sometimes balk at the one thing where the players actually get to experience something they might not otherwise.

This whole "reward for a good season" bullshit flies in the face of "amateurism" and so...yeah. I don't care how many bowls they are, if they can be sanctioned and somehow turn a profit or even if they don't, doesn't matter to me, even if it costs the university money because athletics accounting is cooked anyway.

There isn't a school in the country spending general fund dollars to travel to a bowl game, so the "taking money away from.." argument is mostly moot. Especially if they're paying a head coach six or seven figures, the hell if I care.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-09-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #282
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
FCS playoff game between James Madison and Sam Houston State is on ESPN2 for those who wish to watch.

Turned this on a while ago and it was 65-0 JMU in the third quarter. Jesus.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #283
BishopMVP
Coordinator

They'll likely play North Dakota State in next week's semifinal. Maybe the streak will finally end.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #284
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I know I'm supposed to be an adult by this point, but when ESPN does a story about the Navy mascot they can't list the guy's name with the caption, "Team Goat Handler."
Old 12-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #285
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

South Dakota St with the most inventive TD I've ever seen work in a real game.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #286
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
South Dakota St with the most inventive TD I've ever seen work in a real game.

I turned it on at that exact moment.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #287
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Army-Navy jerseys look like a SWAC vs MEAC all-star game.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #288
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Finally.

Beat Navy!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #289
digamma
Torchbearer

Singing second is the best tradition in college football.

And loved the Army unis.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #290
kingfc22
Head Coach

And why did the invite 5 people to the Heisman? The gap between 2nd and 3rd was the largest in 70 years.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #291
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Or maybe Air Force deserves a better bowl.

I had to look it up, but this is the one that couldn't even find a decent network deal, ended up with Sinclair. And the "10th place" thing is misleading as well, they finished tied for 8th. And it's the bowl that chose to contract with the Sun Belt, as the fifth partner for that conference. And that move came after neither CUSA nor the Sun Belt could even manage to provide an opponent last year, creating the semi-infamous MWC vs MWC bowl game.

But, hey the MWC signed the contract. That's on them,not on South Alabama.

As an Air Force Academy grad this AFA that was 2-1 against ranked team and going 9-3 getting arguable the worst bowl game is a gut punch. That is especially true when are service academy rivals whom we both beat this year get better bowls than us.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-10-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #292
tarcone
Coordinator

I have a solution to AFAs bowl woes. Travel better. This is why Iowa almost always gets a better bowl then they deserve.
You bring 50k to that bowl game and the bowls will start to notice.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #293
Suicane75
Coordinator

Something I was wondering about yesterday. Where do Army & Navy get their cheerleaders from? Do they really have cadets cheering?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #294
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. I wondered that out loud to my wife during the Temple/Navy game.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #295
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yep. they are cadets.

https://www.usna.edu/CheerNavy/requirements.php

http://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/20...014010155.aspx
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #296
Suicane75
Coordinator

How bout that. Learn something new you didn't even know you didn't know everyday.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #297
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:

You believe in Participation Trophies. Got it.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #298
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, half of these programs even existing could be considered participation trophies.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #299
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bullshit.

These aren't participation trophies, they are corporations deciding they can market effectively and profit from a football game. To do that, though, they need teams. They aren't getting trophies, they're being employed to further the goals of the sponsors and broadcasters.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #300
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

And the teams are (usually) willing participants as playing in a bowl furthers their own agendas as well.