Desnudo
Coordinator

Ted Johnson, Colorado
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #254
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Desnudo, FOFC.

Edit--I had no idea what you were posting. I guess it's not funny.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 03-09-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #255
Desnudo
Coordinator

Tedy Bruschi, Arizona
Old 03-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #256
Desnudo
Coordinator

The Big Cat, Andy Katzenmoyer, THE Ohio State University
Old 03-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #257
st.cronin
General Manager

Nick Buoniconti, Tom Addison

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #258
Desnudo
Coordinator

Thus completes the retrospective, not including those greats mentioned in previous posts.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #259
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Nick Buoniconti, Tom Addison

When did Buoniconti play?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #260
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
SD, or any of the other mods could write a rule book the size of the NFL regulation book, and all they'd accomplish is wasting an evening. People don't come here to follow rules, the ones that do don't break them, and the ones that break them generally are looking for loopholes in the rules to point out and test.
Well-said, and to piggyback on this, there's a small percentage of people that ever get near the line. To be specific, there are 63 people on the perma-ban list since 1/03 (when we switched to vbulletin). Of those, a good percentage are one-post wonders ("d00dz, give me a registration code), or are re-creations of the same account (For example, four versions of "JHD" were all banned on 9/7/04, three versions of "BlingBlingKillaz were banned on 12/13/04, and five versions of "brimick" were banned on 1/18/06). Looking through those 63 names, I'd guess that it really only represents 25-30 people. In that same timeframe (since 1/03), over 2,465 different registered user accounts have visited the board. My best guess is that, of those who aren't banned, less than 50 different people here have been in the penalty box. So, we're talking about maybe 100 people at the MOST who have been suspended or banned, out of well over 2,000 users. So, you're talking about spending a LOT of time on something that probably only impacts less than 5% of the community.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-09-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #261
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

70s i think... not sure

knives out
Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #262
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
70s i think... not sure

Ah. The cut-off point was the 1980 draft.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #263
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
No, it isn't a no-brainer. The people who have been here for years, by your logic, should KNOW not to do that. The newbies have no such knowledge. The leeway should go to the newbies. Or, better yet, no leeway at all for anyone. Anything less is favoritism.

Perhaps, but that's what you have to come to expect. People have been on this board for over half a decade, so you have to expect that there will be favouritism. This isn't a government body of elected mods, or even an 'official game forum', it's a community message board on the internet.

If you're a newbie you should realise that you have to sit on the sidelines for abit and learn the dynamics of the place before you make a jack-ass of yourself. If you don't realise that than maybe a boxing will teach you.

Quote:

Look, all I'm doing is trying something that will stop the rash of boxing and bannings. I guess I'm in the minority. The current method of box/ban on a mod's whim just isn't working.

Seems to be working OK IMO, it's just that people with out anything else to fill their time deem it necessary to continue to bitch and moan about it. I don't see any problem with any of the recent boxings.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #264
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Ah. The cut-off point was the 1980 draft.

well pooh

still, nice work ... I think Skydog should put us in charge of threadjacking any thread that looks like it's out of hand ...

knives out
Old 03-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #265
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It was a fumble.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #266
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
well pooh

still, nice work ... I think Skydog should put us in charge of threadjacking any thread that looks like it's out of hand ...

I feel we're sinking here.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #267
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Some of you people are weird.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #268
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wow! I must be the one of the few in favor of this new system. I thought this was handled well, considering I thought things were going to be troublesome at its beginning stages. And JeeberD wasn't really the first person I expected to make the very first suspension, so I want to commend you guys for how well everything is handled so far. I still think Blade6119 is a different story though.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #269
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Most are in favor, they just don't care enough to comment.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #270
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Most are in favor, they just don't care enough to comment.
I'm holding my opinion of it for several months to see how it plays out.

Or maybe I'll have to form a commitee to construct my opinion for me. Expect a 312 page report in 16 months describing me either giving the system a thumbs up or thumbs down.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #271
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I now declare this thread the domain of Great Patriot Linebackers: 1980-2005, a Retrospective.

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #272
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
ben, i dont think people have a problem with either of the two actions you described above...from everything i have seen, there has been widespread support for both those boxing/bannings...the issue has been the actions that HAVE NOT happened...the fact that blatant insults and personal attacks on former board members are unpunished, but mr bigglesworth is sitting in the box for calling you a fuc**** a**hole twice....i know that is my beef at this point.
Bigglesworth got boxed? Man, I don't hear about anything. We need a thread that shows all current boxings.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #273
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
He played in the 60's and 70's. I don't think he played past 1975.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #274
Antmeister
Pro Starter

And a scorecard. This is a sports related board. It would be cool to see the different types of suspensions (1 week, 2 week, 3 week variety), the different infractions (verbal abuse, naughty pic posting, politics), and a nice mug shot created by flere. We need one of these badly.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #275
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I'm holding my opinion of it for several months to see how it plays out.

Or maybe I'll have to form a commitee to construct my opinion for me. Expect a 312 page report in 16 months describing me either giving the system a thumbs up or thumbs down.
I hope it involves a cigar.

I just had to type and say I have no idea what this thread is in reference to.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #276
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Don Blackmon, Tulsa

Ewwww...a Golden Shower.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #277
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Ewwww...a Golden Shower.
Are you commenting on Don Blackmon or something happening at home?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #278
JeeberD
General Manager

Just a little WAC/CUSA humor. Tulsa Golden Hurricanes...Golden Showers...get it?

Meh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #279
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Just a little WAC/CUSA humor. Tulsa Golden Hurricanes...Golden Showers...get it?

Meh...
As we are now aware, being funny was not a requirement for mod selection
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #280
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
Bigglesworth got boxed? Man, I don't hear about anything. We need a thread that shows all current boxings.

page 7 or 8 of the WTF is Skydog on about now thread.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:05 AM   #281
wade moore
lolzcat

WVU: I appreciate that you are being very rational and calm in your arguments. I think that there is a piece that seems to not be translating to you when you talk about this message board.

This board is too "open" and free-minded to make a "7 words you can't say on FOFC" or a complete list of behaviors that you cannot do. As SD mentioned, we'd need 100 rules to cover everything, and a 100 people have been penalized. What's the sense in that? We'd be making up new rules every time (exaggeration, i know) we had to box someone anyways. IF we set out and do the rules, SD and others are right - we'll spend as much time explaining why we boxed someone under the "catch all" or why someone fit into rule #72a when you (the all encompassing you) don't think it fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:14 AM   #282
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729

It's only the beginning.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 AM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
... we'd need 100 rules to cover everything, and a 100 people have been penalized. ... We'd be making up new rules every time (exaggeration, i know) we had to box someone anyways ... IF we set out and do the rules, SD and others are right - we'll spend as much time explaining why we boxed someone under the "catch all"

Any/all of which beats the sorry ass job we've seen done this week.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #284
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Any/all of which beats the sorry ass job we've seen done this week.

Jon,

I have avoided responding to you all week, but I cannot anymore.

Your logic is completely off base here. You are seeing through some kind of tinted glasses and cannot undertand the true picture. The two boxings this week have been explained very well and you are the ONLY person on the entire board that has voiced a lack of understanding of those boxings.

You then seem to claim that someone should get boxed for calling a banned user a foul name, which in your mind seems to be not as bad as encouraging the death of a fellow board member. Your logic has no basis. I think you know I generally respect your opinion, and that is because even if I disagree with it (which I think you would be surprised how often I agree), there is always logic behind it.

There is no logic here. I wish I could get you to see that.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #285
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
WVU: I appreciate that you are being very rational and calm in your arguments. I think that there is a piece that seems to not be translating to you when you talk about this message board.

This board is too "open" and free-minded to make a "7 words you can't say on FOFC" or a complete list of behaviors that you cannot do. As SD mentioned, we'd need 100 rules to cover everything, and a 100 people have been penalized. What's the sense in that? We'd be making up new rules every time (exaggeration, i know) we had to box someone anyways. IF we set out and do the rules, SD and others are right - we'll spend as much time explaining why we boxed someone under the "catch all" or why someone fit into rule #72a when you (the all encompassing you) don't think it fits.

Firstly, thanks for the compliment. I'm honestly not doing this to bitch, but to do something that will improve the place.

I can see your point, but there should be a middleground somewhere. Having said that, this discussion is running a little too long, and I seem to be the cause for it. I'll drop the subject.

Again, thanks for the cordial reply, Wade.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish I could get you to see that.

And I wish I could get you to see how badly you people have botched pretty much everything you've touched this week. If any of you are surgeons, I sure hope you've had a better week at your job than you've had here.

But maybe I can at least get you to understand one small detail about my disgust -- the "what was said" aspect of things isn't particularly what's so disturbing to me about the moderation, it's the clear cut acceptance of the trolling that took place. The inconsistency of boxing over one rule (the quote of a banned) while willfully ignoring another (the larger issue of trolling) is the core of the problem, not the word choice. Absent a set of rules, then the moderation is doomed to personal bias. And damn, I'm a supporter of private businesses (which is essentially what FOFC or any privately owned forum is) right to do run things as they see fit in their own realm, it's just that particular right is also subject to criticism when it is exercised.

If I tell you (the collective "you") to go fuck yourself with a box of paper clips (first random item I saw when I looked around the room) that's pretty much exactly what I meant to say -- in other words, I'm telling you to do so because I believed you needed telling ... not because I'm hoping for some reaction that'll start a 20 page thread, it's not for show, it's not to see what you'll say next. Hell, at that point it'd be unusual for me to particularly care what you say next. You (collective moderation "you") can call me rude, insensitive, tactless or whatever ... but neither of those are against existing rules. What you can't say I did was trolling (distinction previously alluded to) ... which is against the rules.

Now Wade, slowly tie these things together. I'm not disgusted by The Mod Squad's lack of appropriate action about a profanity, especially not when I have quite possibly the bluest vocabulary here. The problem is the failure to adequately enforce what few rules this place has in the first place while nearly simultaneously straining at a relative gnat of a violation. Leaving the distinct impression that all we've gotten this week is an increase of an existing problem, multiplied by the number of new mods.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #287
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Now Wade, slowly tie these things together. I'm not disgusted by The Mod Squad's lack of appropriate action about a profanity, especially not when I have quite possibly the bluest vocabulary here. The problem is the failure to adequately enforce what few rules this place has in the first place while nearly simultaneously straining at a relative gnat of a violation. Leaving the distinct impression that all we've gotten this week is an increase of an existing problem, multiplied by the number of new mods.

Jon, I think you have a very warped definition of what trolling is. For you to say that you making the comment of "The world would be better if you got hit by a bus," is not trolling is just insane. You may think that in your mind you don't WANT it to cause a 20 page fight. But come on, it's GOING to. Making comments such as that is just as much trolling as saying that George Bush is an idiot or that Hillary Clinton is a communist.

I've come to realize that reasoning with you on some things is pointless because you're beyond reason on it, yet somehow I try. This is such a large case of the pot calling the kettle black it is INSANE. As far as I can see, the only "trolling" you're pointing to that we "missed" is stevew's comment about capsicum. Yet somehow you see some distinction between that and your previous statements that I have mentioned. If there is some other trolling I'm missing, please point it out to me. Hell, there's been very little political talk during all of this madness.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #288
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Meh...

Golden Hurricane - as in singular.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #289
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

As my good friend Wes Collins likes to say,

supdudeslol
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:12 AM   #290
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Making comments such as that is just as much trolling as saying that George Bush is an idiot or that Hillary Clinton is a communist.

But those are true statements.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #291
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've come to realize that reasoning with you on some things is pointless because you're beyond reason on it, yet somehow I try.

Then probably better to stop trying, because if this is the best you can do then we're both S.O.L. If you can't follow the legitimate distinction, either you're not capable of doing so (which I'm not yet ready to believe) OR you're willfully blind to it in order to justify your own mistake (which seems much more likely).

Quote:
As far as I can see, the only "trolling" you're pointing to that we "missed" is stevew's comment about capsicum.

Well damn, how many other opportunities have you gotten to fuck something up completely yet? It's not my fault that you're only 1-for-1 so far, I'm sure you'll get your AB's though. And that certainty is the only reason I've even bothered to try this time - like trying to correct a problem with a hitter's swing before they get back up to the plate again. Sadly, it's pretty obvious that I'd have better luck trying to break someone of swinging cross-handed than anybody is going to have here. You either can't get it or won't get it, and I'm ready to concede that there's not going to be jack shit anybody can do about it.

From this point, you'll only hear from me on the most egregious (sp?) of cases that happen within my view. The rest? ... well, at some point those just get filed under "business as usual".
Old 03-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #292
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus

no, we don't.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #293
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Jon,

While I appreciate your efforts to point out what a poor job the new "Mod Squad" is doing, and your constant moaning about how bad this will all be for this board, and how you aren't treated fairly, etc., my only request is that you give it a rest for at least half a day.

I request this not for my own sanity, but for Skydog's. The volumes of material that you have already provided will give him ample evidence to go through, allowing him to make a judgment on what a horrible job the newbies have done, allow him to rethink the error of his ways, and have each of us killed by a gang of young christian children. If you keep on fighting the good fight so well, it will take that much longer for him to put his pawns into action.

So give it a fucking rest, will ya?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #294
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I'm ready to concede

Who had March 10, 2006 in the pool?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #295
John Galt
Pro Starter

I can't tell why Jon refuses to talk specific facts. It's either that doing so would expose his argument as silly or because he thinks naming names and incidents violates some norm (which would be strange since he violates every other politeness norm). Or maybe its something else. For now, I think he can't talk about specifics because it would show he is full of it.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #296
rkmsuf
Head Coach

great nuts of fire. this thing is still going?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #297
Daimyo
College Starter

Don't feed the troll.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #298
st.cronin
General Manager

There is nothing so breathtaking as a shorn scrotum.

knives out
Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #299
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
If I tell you (the collective "you") to go fuck yourself with a box of paper clips (first random item I saw when I looked around the room) that's pretty much exactly what I meant to say -- in other words, I'm telling you to do so because I believed you needed telling ... not because I'm hoping for some reaction that'll start a 20 page thread, it's not for show, it's not to see what you'll say next.

I think this argument is hillarious. "If I tell you I want you to die, it isn't trolling because I mean it."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #300
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
great nuts of fire. this thing is still going?

It's got ups