Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #251
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Hey, why didn't anyone tell me that Johnnie Lee caught a pass for the Raiders today?!?

Sorry about that. Was sleeping and fast-forwarded through much of the game. Get it on Short Cuts!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #252
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

45th TD, 4 more to catch Manning.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #253
MikeVic
Head Coach

What happened there with Mankins and Harrison?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #254
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Brady also broke the 4,000 mark for Pasing Yardage. The Steelers need to score here..
Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #255
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Mankins probably cockpunched him.

It's his thing.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #256
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

DIDN'T GET IT!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #257
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Christ, who didn't know Ward was getting the ball pre-snap?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #258
Jas_lov
College Starter

I would have went for it there. After they predicted victory over you there's nothing better than shoving it in their faces. Brady needed another TD pass anyway.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #259
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just assuming that Pitt is trying to run the clock out and end the game now?

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-09-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #260
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I'm just assuming that Pitt is trying to run the clock out and end the game now?

There's certainly not in any hurry.

21 points in 6 1/2 minutes was unlikely, but not impossible. Steelers decided not to try.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #261
Rizon
Pro Starter

Not that I'm watching it, I heard from a friend, the 49'ers have thrown an INT to 3 different DTs in 1 game, an NFL record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #262
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Hooray for the #2 overall!!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #263
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hooray for the #2 overall!!

McFaden anyone?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #264
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Nice win (and important one too) for the Browns. Good to see them back as a playoffs contender.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #265
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

stay classy, Pittsburgh Steelers. nice lil cheap shot there.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #266
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
McFaden anyone?

I'm pretty sure they'll trade it.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #267
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I concede that the Patriots will go undefeated in the small season the Dolphins go winless and become the first team to go 0-16

This season will be worth if the Phins some how manage to beat the Patriots.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #268
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

probably. I'd be happy to trade down to the 20's and pick up a first-rounder next year
Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #269
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

If they can get value for it. I don't think the Pats are the only team to shy away from top 5 picks in the idiotic rookie salary bracket.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #270
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
This season will be worth if the Phins some how manage to beat the Patriots.

What do you think, a 30 point spread for that game?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #271
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
If they can get value for it. I don't think the Pats are the only team to shy away from top 5 picks in the idiotic rookie salary bracket.

Jerry wants McFadden BAD. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him work something out with the Patsies...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #272
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
probably. I'd be happy to trade down to the 20's and pick up a first-rounder next year

I would hope they'll get a little more than that if the pick ends up #2. I think they'll look into getting younger on defense - as cool as McFadden would be, I don't think they really need to address the offense.

Maybe a 1st round pick in the teens with first round pick next year, and some lower draft picks.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #273
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The highest spread will be the Jets game. I think we'll see a lot of Cassell against the Phins.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #274
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #275
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Favaorite part of the Steelers - Pats game was about 2 mins left, when Nantz decides to get all philosophical on us about "players grandizing themselves" when discussing Anthony Smith's guarantee and all the time he got on ESPN for it.

If Nantz had such a problem with it...why did he wait til the end of the game, and not mention it after 1,368th Simms mentioned it?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #276
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
stay classy, Pittsburgh Steelers. nice lil cheap shot there.

Dola
Was this the Arnold Harrison cheap shot? Or Logan Mankins one?

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 12-09-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #277
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Double Dola

Two stupid NFL rules that really bother me.

1) I caught parts of the early game we got in Pittsburgh on CBS, Raiders - Packers. FANTASTIC play on the ball by Atari Bigby, not touched down, races down the sideline, TD...but wait, penalty on the return because Cullen Jenkins hit McCown on the return. Not sure who the moron announcing team was (other than it wasn't Nantz-Simms, cause Steelers-Pats had that moron team), but one of the jackasses says Jenkins hit a "defenseless" McCown. The replay shows McCown standing in the middle of the field watching the play and he gets plowed. That is not defenseless. Defenseless is on the follow through of the throw. Stupid ass rule. Why don't they institute a rule, similar to the QB sliding on offense, if he doesn't want hit on a return, just fall to the ground?

2) I just don't get the logic of penalties on special teams plays and penalties (defensive) on plays where a TD is scored. Why on those plays do the play AND the penalty count? No other play does this happen, you choose the result of the play and decline the penalty, or choose the penalty.

Best example I can think of is during the Pats-Steelers game today, covering a punt, a backup CB for the Steelers took a procedure penalty for running out of bounds without being forced out. 5 yard penalty. The result was the punt return + the 5 yards. You want the penalty? Fine, re-kick.

Or last week, the Ravens - Pats game last week, Ed Reed offsides on an XP. The 5 yards enforced on the kickoff. Why? Want the penalty? Go ahead, and re-kick the XP. Or decline, and keep the result.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 12-09-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #278
Jas_lov
College Starter

I agree with you 100% on #1! This was what I was trying to say earlier and people said oh you're just a homer. McCown is weak and we need to protect him, blah blah blah. He's a football player and he's fair game on an INT return! Jenkins had every right to hit him. If McCown weren't such an idiot, he wouldn't have got hit like that. Favre wouldn't have been that stupid.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #279
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I agree with you 100% on #1! This was what I was trying to say earlier and people said oh you're just a homer. McCown is weak and we need to protect him, blah blah blah. He's a football player and he's fair game on an INT return! Jenkins had every right to hit him. If McCown weren't such an idiot, he wouldn't have got hit like that. Favre wouldn't have been that stupid.

Didn't even see your earlier post...i figured it was probably discussed in here, but didn't look through.

I guess if McCown starts walking to the Raiders sideline as the play is going on and Jenkins hits him from behind...then they can at least call it a block in the back. But he was in the middle of the field daydreaming and got nailed. I stand by original statement--want to protect the QB on offense, allowing them to do this sliding bullshit, make a rule requiring QBs lie down on any turnover return, as the signal they are out of the play.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #280
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Or last week, the Ravens - Pats game last week, Ed Reed offsides on an XP. The 5 yards enforced on the kickoff. Why? Want the penalty? Go ahead, and re-kick the XP. Or decline, and keep the result.

It was specifically changed this year for that reason. It keeps teams from taking a risk-free shot at blocking the XP by trying to get the advantage from timing the snap. This way they have something to lose by doing this.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #281
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It was specifically changed this year for that reason. It keeps teams from taking a risk-free shot at blocking the XP by trying to get the advantage from timing the snap. This way they have something to lose by doing this.

true
Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #282
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Didn't even see your earlier post...i figured it was probably discussed in here, but didn't look through.

I guess if McCown starts walking to the Raiders sideline as the play is going on and Jenkins hits him from behind...then they can at least call it a block in the back. But he was in the middle of the field daydreaming and got nailed. I stand by original statement--want to protect the QB on offense, allowing them to do this sliding bullshit, make a rule requiring QBs lie down on any turnover return, as the signal they are out of the play.

Exactly. If the QB doesn't want to be hit on an INT return, he should get off the field. If he's standing there or wants to go and make a tackle, he should expect to get hit. It's football. Protecting the QB in the pocket from late hits and hits to the head is fine because he really is defenseless right after he throws the pass.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 12-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #283
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
It's a rather big penalty, so allowing the TD and enforcing the penalty on the kickoff is a crappy way to go about things too. And it goes that way for any penalty by the scoring team really. It may have been away from the play, but it is still a penalty by the team scoring, so therefore the play doesn't count. Giving the Packers the ball, minus 15 yards from where the play happened, is a lot better then saying it is Oakland ball and acting like the INT never happened.

Went back to find this...i guess i saw it differently. McCown was not walking off the field. He wasn't chasing the play, but he wasn't running FROM it either. And he wasn't defenseless, unless by defenseless you mean not paying attention.

But, your post also goes along well with my other point a little earlier with this bullshit of getting the penalty call AND result of the play. Why can't it happen here too? TD, and kickoff from the 20. If they are going to use that stupid logic of giving both the penalty yardage and result of the play, use it here too.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #284
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Not arguing with you here, just sort of thinking out loud...

If the XP is missed, is it re-kicked? Don't think I've seen it happen (not many XP's missed).

Seems to happen loads on punts now too, where the kicking team commits a foul (like the example above, a 5 yard procedure call) and the receiving team takes the yardage from the return + 5 yards. Makes zero sense to me. Any other offensive/defensive player, if you accept the result of the play, you decline the penalty.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #285
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

On the XP the team has the choice of taking it there or on the Kickoff. It could come into play if you want to take the half the distance penalty and then go for 2 points.

Also, I know this is true in High School and college but not sure about the NFL. If the offense scores a TD and a facemask occurs, the offense has the choice of accepting the penalty and either adding it on to the XP or the Kickoff.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 12-09-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #286
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So how bout dem Colts?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #287
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

What if there is a holding call on the kicking team on the XP?
Can the defensive team choose to leave the XP on the board, and take the 10 yards on the kickoff?

The chances of the XP being missed from 10 yards back still pretty slim, and those 10 yards might be more valuable in setting up a potential return.

Really, just think it's fucking stupid. The offside on the XP, OK, I suppose. But in these other situations (punts), penalty or play. Pick.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #288
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

so good game tonight eh?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #289
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

i don't see too many safeties on punt blocks
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #290
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

word.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #291
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola, the rest of the game should be really fun though, since john can just blah blah through the rest of the game. I wanna see how many Brett Favre comparisons I can count.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #292
Rizon
Pro Starter

Not that I'm intentionally watching the game, since I'm on strike from the NFL, but my neighbors TV is on and reflecting off one of my monitors. Boy, the Ravens look really bad. Their cheerleaders look good from here, though.
Quote:
Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #293
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, I know the Baltimore Colts are playing at home against the Indianapolis Ravens (and beating them pretty good). But I don't know what's the "B" on the Ravens' bird mean. Does it stand for "Bad"?

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #294
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Ok, I know the Baltimore Colts are playing at home against the Indianapolis Ravens (and beating them pretty good). But I don't know what's the "B" on the Ravens' bird mean. Does it stand for "Bad"?

If you notice, there is a "W" in the bird head's outline (under the B). It stands for "Barely Watchable".
Quote:
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #295
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My only comment on Pats / Steelers, aside from WOOHOO!, is I still don't get why the media was so convinced a team that had lost to the Jets and Cardinals on the road was the team that was finally going to knock the Pats off.

Fun part is early predictions had the Giants doing it, as NED would have everything sown up while NYG would be fighting for playoff positioning, when now it looks like NYG is locked into the #5 seed and the only one with anything to play for then is the Pats potentially going for 16-0.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gee, y'think Baltimore came out a little flat tonight?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #297
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

flatter then a pancake run over by a steamroller.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cool, I get to be the first to say "that's using your head"
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #299
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Is that Maximum Football?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Why would anyone sit outside in bad weather to watch this game?