Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #251
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molston
When the SAME people later give the Rockies credit for their great season

LOLOLOL! And I'm sure Lou Holtz was giving Navy credit for their great season too when he was the ND coach!!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #252
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
LOLOLOL! And I'm sure Lou Holtz was giving Navy credit for their great season too when he was the ND coach!!

Lou Holtz was just trying to get the other team to believe the hype and let their guard down.

The people in your office were just trying to give the Rockies credit, and they might have been trying to downplay the arrogance angle.

And yes, the Red Sox were a clear favorite, but that view wasn't everywhere. Check the MLB thread again, there were many who thought the Rockies would roll to a world series. They did have a pretty nice winning streak, if I recall.

I guess the Red Sox fans could predict a tie and you wouldn't jump all over them.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 10:15 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #253
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Lou Holtz was just trying to get the other team to believe the hype and let their guard down.

The people in your office were just trying to give the Rockies credit, and they might have been trying to downplay the arrogance angle.

And yes, the Red Sox were a clear favorite, but that view wasn't everywhere. Check the MLB thread again, there were many who thought the Rockies would roll to a world series. They did have a pretty nice winning streak, if I recall.

I guess the Red Sox fans could predict a tie and you wouldn't jump all over them.

Oh please... give the Rockies credit? By claiming they were actually the underdog? When the Red Sox were quite clearly the favorite. Yes, the Rockies had a very nice winning streak, but if you said the Red Sox should be the underdog, I'd consider your sanity.

As for the last throwaway comment, like I said, there isn't a "you're with us or against us" Bush-like crap. There is a way to be confident without being arrogant or give credit to the other team without claiming underdog status all the time. Unfortunately this you are either one or the other mentality seems to persist a lot when someone doesn't like it when the fanbase goes a bit too far to one side or the other.

For an area of the country that elects Kerry to the Senate, it's quite ironic that nuance can't be considered in dealing with the Pats or Red Sox .

Recall there are tons of folks who rooted like Hell for the Red Sox in 2004 (me among them), who just can't stand them now.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-30-2007 at 10:23 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #254
molson
General Manager

Quote:

For an area of the country that elects Kerry to the Senate, it's quite ironic that nuance can't be considered in dealing with the Pats or Red Sox .

OK, that's a pretty good point.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #255
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

All I'm saying is that we'd like you more if acted more like Yankee fans .
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #256
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All I'm saying is that we'd like you more if acted more like Yankee fans .

I always found yankees fans more annoying personally but thats likely because I hated the fact that the Yankees spanked the Braves a few times, where the Red Sox haven't really done anything one way or another to the Braves in my lifetime.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #257
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There are quite a few Pats fans that post here that don't fit in the stereotype, but most of the ones I've met have been insufferable lately.

My advice is for them to write out a pragraph on how they feel about Yankees fans. Then do a Find/Replace and replace Yankees with Patriots. Then reread the paragraph.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #258
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I always found yankees fans more annoying personally but thats likely because I hated the fact that the Yankees spanked the Braves a few times, where the Red Sox haven't really done anything one way or another to the Braves in my lifetime.

Red Sox and Yankee fans have very similar tiers of membership - it breaks down by age, and how long they've been a fan.

There's also a ridiculous number of college students in these two cities (especially Boston), and that's probably the most vocal section of their fanbase. And a lot of those "vocal" (asshole might be appropriate too) fans are BU students from Long Island that have decided to get drunk and go to Red Sox games and pretend to be fans. Nobody's happy with that development, Sox fans and non-Sox fans alike. But those are the "fans" you notice first, and they contribute to the reputation.

I'd even concede that there's a most definitely a higher % of Red Sox/Pats fan assholes than probably any other team, largely because of the huge, drunken, college faction. (and that would include people beyond Long Island). It's a younger, less mature fan base on the whole. But it's still a very small portion of the greater whole. (And I realize that this is all many of you are saying, and I don't disagree with that)

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #259
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't wait until the Lions' dynasty starts and people start calling Lions' fans annoying, arrogant, and classless.

That will be sweet...

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #260
st.cronin
General Manager

I will agree with Render about one thing, Boston is a miserable place to live.

knives out
Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #261
Desnudo
Coordinator

It's not my favourite city by a long stretch, but I think miserable is way too strong. I would describe it more like "slightly assholish with some nice history."
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #262
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Red Sox and Yankee fans have very similar tiers of membership - it breaks down by age, and how long they've been a fan.

There's also a ridiculous number of college students in these two cities (especially Boston), and that's probably the most vocal section of their fanbase. And a lot of those "vocal" (asshole might be appropriate too) fans are BU students from Long Island that have decided to get drunk and go to Red Sox games and pretend to be fans. Nobody's happy with that development, Sox fans and non-Sox fans alike. But those are the "fans" you notice first, and they contribute to the reputation.

I'd even concede that there's a most definitely a higher % of Red Sox/Pats fan assholes than probably any other team, largely because of the huge, drunken, college faction. (and that would include people beyond Long Island). It's a younger, less mature fan base on the whole. But it's still a very small portion of the greater whole. (And I realize that this is all many of you are saying, and I don't disagree with that)

Come on now...why only BU kids ? Northeastern, BC, Hahhvad...each of there own section of tag-along college 'fans.'
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #263
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Come on now...why only BU kids ? Northeastern, BC, Hahhvad...each of there own section of tag-along college 'fans.'

I only chose BU becuase it's closest to Fenway Park. But you're right.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #264
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I actually don't mind living near Boston. Growing up in the south, and having lived in Atlanta and Dallas I always heard that in the south you had southern hospitality and everyone was nice to one another, but in the Northeast, everyone was jerks and unfriendly. I have for the most part found that untrue all the way around and enjoy most everything about living here other than the miserable weather, the horrible roads and the crazy politics
Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #265
MikeVic
Head Coach

I glanced at the standings on nfl.com today, and it looks funny in the AFC East... 1st-place Patriots have 300-something points, and 2nd-place Bills have under 100. :P
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #266
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Yeah, but it seems like the rioting and general assholish behavior congregates around BU, NU, and UMASS Amherst.

I think that's unfair, obviously it's going to be more congregated around BU and NU bc they are literally a block or two away.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #267
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
...and booed the Giants taking a knee to end the game.

That was one of the few things that annoyed me. The crowd was too neutral, not partisan enough - made noise when the Dolphins were on offense, and were silent on D. Tried getting a D-Fence chant going a number of times, but had about three people join in.

The cheers were loud for the TD's and a couple of other big plays, but generally it was quiet. Made me chuckle that when Ginn tripped on the KO, there was an audible groan! Set the tone somehow...

Still enjoyed it though, but they need to work out how to get more fans of the teams playing into the stadium to get the right atmosphere...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #268
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

The point is, if someone is going to decide that "Patriots fans are jerks", you're going to be treating them in a way that will make your perceptions true. But I'm pretty sure my parents aren't jerks, neither were my friends in the neighborhood, neither was the mailman, or the nice old guy across the street that let us play baseball in his yard. Or my first grade teacher, or the pastor at are church. They were are regular people.

Ok, last post here for me, i just want to clear some confusion molson has going on here.

You posted here that people are deciding the fanbase are jerks before actually dealing with them. As I've posted numerous times in this thread alone, that is not the case for me.

Prior to living there I actually supported the Pats, even through the first SB run. I wanted them to suceed, hell i was chering them on vs the bears in 85 and the pack in...what 93 was it? Its not like I moved to new England and arbitrarily chose to treat everyone like shit there.

Its not a self fullfilling prophecy molson, its an action-reaction. I was there, I joined in the celebrations and then suddenly instead of rational human beings it felt like the entire populace fairly swiftly mutated into jerks. What was worse is they seemed to really feel they were being villified unjustly and that made them even worse.

Please try to understand, in this chicken or egg discussion, it wasn't me firing the first salvos. I was quite happy living somewhere with a team I didn't hate that was doing great after years of suffering. The asinine behavious came after and THAT is what soured me on the people there.

But since you've ignored that throughout this discussion and are certain that I'm just being a prick and thus bring it on myself, well I guess its better I live in a City whose fans CAN be assholes, but for the most part are just pleasent people.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #269
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Week 12
Nov 25W41-9at Detroit Lions
Guess how many passes Sorgi threw in these games?

Yeah! Good point.

That Lions' game was particularly hurtful, it being on Thanksgiving and all. Poor Fernando Bryant he really got torched in that game.

Evil Coltses...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #270
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I glanced at the standings on nfl.com today, and it looks funny in the AFC East... 1st-place Patriots have 300-something points, and 2nd-place Bills have under 100. :P

I'm getting tired of the Pats having a 6-game feast in the AFC East each year. Sure makes getting a good playoff seed easy.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #271
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Ok, last post here for me, i just want to clear some confusion molson has going on here.

You posted here that people are deciding the fanbase are jerks before actually dealing with them. As I've posted numerous times in this thread alone, that is not the case for me.

Prior to living there I actually supported the Pats, even through the first SB run. I wanted them to suceed, hell i was chering them on vs the bears in 85 and the pack in...what 93 was it? Its not like I moved to new England and arbitrarily chose to treat everyone like shit there.

Its not a self fullfilling prophecy molson, its an action-reaction. I was there, I joined in the celebrations and then suddenly instead of rational human beings it felt like the entire populace fairly swiftly mutated into jerks. What was worse is they seemed to really feel they were being villified unjustly and that made them even worse.

Please try to understand, in this chicken or egg discussion, it wasn't me firing the first salvos. I was quite happy living somewhere with a team I didn't hate that was doing great after years of suffering. The asinine behavious came after and THAT is what soured me on the people there.

But since you've ignored that throughout this discussion and are certain that I'm just being a prick and thus bring it on myself, well I guess its better I live in a City whose fans CAN be assholes, but for the most part are just pleasent people.

You ran into some jerk fans - and then attributed to milllions of people. And not just fans of a team, but an ENTIRE geographic area.

I realize you lived there. But you didn't have contact with hundreds of thousands of people. What you're describing almost sounds like a sci-fi movie.

You got tired of the Pats hype and annoying Pats fans. That's understandable. But blanket-bashing people on a random message board is an illogical reaction to that.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #272
Groundhog
Coordinator

So, how about that Tom Brady? Quite and arm, eh?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #273
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
So, how about that Tom Brady? Quite and arm, eh?

What the hell does that have to do with the tireless and never-repetitive discussion about Boston fans? Stay on topic!

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #274
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
You ran into some jerk fans - and then attributed to milllions of people. And not just fans of a team, but an ENTIRE geographic area.

I realize you lived there. But you didn't have contact with hundreds of thousands of people. What you're describing almost sounds like a sci-fi movie.

You got tired of the Pats hype and annoying Pats fans. That's understandable. But blanket-bashing people on a random message board is an illogical reaction to that.

#1 this entire post of yours is false, a lie, a fabrication. You don;t KNOW any of this and for your information:

I DID in fact have contact with hundresd of thousands of people. How many poeple live in New England?

I worked for the USTA New England office. I traveled to every state up there for programs, scheduling seminars, tennis related events. Hell at the Fed'cup ALONE there were nearly 100 thousand people over a SINGLE weekend.

This is the biggest dent in your argument, you don't KNOW anything about me or my experience, you are so vehemently ignoring the fact that I might just be being honest and straight with you that you just make up shit and label it as the real reasoning.

WTF?

You cling to this idea that one or two or even a dozen individuals created this opinion in me. Which is NOT the case, it was the general atmosphere of the entire area. Didn't matter if I went to the grocery store, the mall or the local game shop to play warhammer. It made no difference if I were in south Connecticut or BF-egypt Maine, or of course downtown Boston. The conversation always flowed back to the teams and how woefully disrespected they are. And if not the woe is me story, then it was the arrogance that bordered on sheer idiocy. It became impossible to have any type of conversation without someone bringing up the teams or getting pissed off when someone dared disparage them in even the smallest way.

Dude, I'm, sorry you aren't willing to at least try and see this from my perspective, but frankly, thats the entire problem with the "so called majority" that I speak of. If it isn't what you want to hear then its obviously just wrong and someone elses fault, or is just utterly made up to discredit the teams.

THIS is the problem, the utter and complete unWILLINGness of that fanbase to ever consider that they MIGHT be the problem.

Thank you for helping to show my point so very clearly.

Last edited by RendeR : 10-30-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #275
st.cronin
General Manager

It doesn't matter how many Patriot or Raider fans you have met. Whenever you generalize about a group of people, you are always wrong.

knives out
Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #276
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I will agree with Render about one thing, Boston is a miserable place to live.

That's absurd - I can't think of any other city (outside of San Francisco/ the Bay Area) where I would rather live (within the US). Its a wonderful place.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #277
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post

No No, definitely BU (2 years living on the B line at Packard's Corner - I fucking hate BU ). Though the arsehole contigent has strong roots at NorthEastern.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #278
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
#1 this entire post of yours is false, a lie, a fabrication. You don;t KNOW any of this and for your information:

I DID in fact have contact with hundresd of thousands of people. How many poeple live in New England?

I worked for the USTA New England office. I traveled to every state up there for programs, scheduling seminars, tennis related events. Hell at the Fed'cup ALONE there were nearly 100 thousand people over a SINGLE weekend.

This is the biggest dent in your argument, you don't KNOW anything about me or my experience, you are so vehemently ignoring the fact that I might just be being honest and straight with you that you just make up shit and label it as the real reasoning.

WTF?

You cling to this idea that one or two or even a dozen individuals created this opinion in me. Which is NOT the case, it was the general atmosphere of the entire area. Didn't matter if I went to the grocery store, the mall or the local game shop to play warhammer. It made no difference if I were in south Connecticut or BF-egypt Maine, or of course downtown Boston. The conversation always flowed back to the teams and how woefully disrespected they are. And if not the woe is me story, then it was the arrogance that bordered on sheer idiocy. It became impossible to have any type of conversation without someone bringing up the teams or getting pissed off when someone dared disparage them in even the smallest way.

Dude, I'm, sorry you aren't willing to at least try and see this from my perspective, but frankly, thats the entire problem with the "so called majority" that I speak of. If it isn't what you want to hear then its obviously just wrong and someone elses fault, or is just utterly made up to discredit the teams.

THIS is the problem, the utter and complete unWILLINGness of that fanbase to ever consider that they MIGHT be the problem.

Thank you for helping to show my point so very clearly.

Dear god RendeR, I'm annoyed by Pats fans as well (living in Boston did that to me), but you don't seem to understand the concept of anecdotal evidence in terms of its applicability to a larger setup. Yes, there are a lot of bandwagon fans who couldn't pick Drew Bledsoe out of a lineup, but Molson's point is applicable - your experiences alone are not enough to make sweeping generalizations, no matter how much you SCREAM IN CAPITAL LETTERS about it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #279
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
That's absurd - I can't think of any other city (outside of San Francisco/ the Bay Area) where I would rather live (within the US). Its a wonderful place.

Well, its a great place to go to college. Otherwise I don't think it offers much, and I feel like it has the highest ratio of cranky bastard/good neighbor of any place I've ever lived.

I consider it the Paris of North America.

knives out
Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #280
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, its a great place to go to college. Otherwise I don't think it offers much, and I feel like it has the highest ratio of cranky bastard/good neighbor of any place I've ever lived.

I consider it the Paris of North America.

Huh. I lived in an apartment and I guess it was my first post-college job, but I never ran into the legions of assholes that I was warned about. It feel like a comfortable old town (though I was in Brookline for most of the time).
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #281
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Dear god RendeR, I'm annoyed by Pats fans as well (living in Boston did that to me), but you don't seem to understand the concept of anecdotal evidence in terms of its applicability to a larger setup. Yes, there are a lot of bandwagon fans who couldn't pick Drew Bledsoe out of a lineup, but Molson's point is applicable - your experiences alone are not enough to make sweeping generalizations, no matter how much you SCREAM IN CAPITAL LETTERS about it.

But he's actually disputing the fact that he's even using anecdotal evidence. He's claiming that he's simply made contact with enough people that he can claim a trait belongs to a "majority" of them with a straight face. I didn't understand the point at first because it's an amazing statement.

Tennis is apparently way bigger than I thought it was in Boston. (And yes, I know he brought up contact at supermarkets, etc, but unless it were 1,000 supermarkets, the point stands).

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #282
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Huh. I lived in an apartment and I guess it was my first post-college job, but I never ran into the legions of assholes that I was warned about. It feel like a comfortable old town (though I was in Brookline for most of the time).

Brookline and Brighton are pretty nice places to live in your 20s. After that, a lot of people feel that they're priced out, want something better in terms of square feet, and move away.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #283
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

No crapshoot, its ont applicable, because nothing he's saying is factual. He's stating that I met a few shitty fans, period and went on a hate filled rampage blaming everyone for the acts of a few.

That is in FACT false. That is all my last post was trying to point out. his entire argument one way or the other is based on HIS opinion that my experience was something that it was not. He made it up. My experiences alone are ENTIRELY enough for ME to make a considered opinion on.

Again, you folks seem to think this just happened to me one day, it took 4 years of this to create this much disdain! =)

Come on READ, stop assuming I'm just tryin to be a hater, I'm not. I was utterly turned away BY the fanbase. I still know a number of pats fans and they're pretty much all normal fun loving people. So how do you correlate those facts? hrm?

If you're molson, you ignore them and just label me a prick with a stick up his ass and blame everyone else for hating the teams and the area =)

If you're not a total fanboy you MIGHt stop and say, "wow, maybe there is something to that, I may not have seen it, but that doesn't mean its not there"

I'm not asking everyone to despise things the way I do, I simply want my position to be acepted as such, but THAT again is something this specific fanbase can't do, it woul crush their pretty glass house they live under.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #284
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
But he's actually disputing the fact that he's even using anecdotal evidence. He's claiming that he's simply made contact with enough people that he can claim a trait belongs to a "majority" of them with a straight face. I didn't understand the point at first because it's an amazing statement.

Tennis is apparently way bigger than I thought it was in Boston. (And yes, I know he brought up contact at supermarkets, etc, but unless it were 1,000 supermarkets, the point stands).

Hrm, 4 years, 3 trips a month to the grocery store, on average say 25 people passed by, overheard, contacted, assisted by etc etc ...hrm....36 x 25 x 4 =3600 just from the grocery runs...2 hokcey games...30,000 in the arena, I'll just stick with the quarter I was sitting in, say 8,000 screaming insulting assinine drunken fans? (you KNOW bruins fans, so you best not even TRY arguing that)

so thats 19,900 people I've spent time in and around directly, Now, I haven't aded work contacts in yet, but even so, almost 20 grande is a pretty fucking huge sampling for ANY research item. Lets toss the whole BS about sample size out the window, K? cause you don't appear to understand your own suggestion.

Last edited by RendeR : 10-30-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #285
molson
General Manager

RendeR - if you just said there was a higher ratio of Boston residents and Pats/Red Sox fans with these kind of negative traits (compared to other cities and teams) I'd call a truce and agree.

The majority stuff still is, and will always be ridiculous, however.

And responding to your post above - were all of those 19,900 people jerks? 100% of the people you had contact with? That's an amazing statement.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #286
st.cronin
General Manager

If molson weren't so classless he wouldn't be running up the score on RendeR like this. Its just not fair.

knives out
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #287
RendeR
Coordinator

Humurously enough molson, you really are just proving my opinion. You just can't let go and even give a modicum of respect to anyone elses point of view. For you if we're bashing anything related we're just assholes being haters.

Thats part and parcel of the entire problem. The more you badger on at me trying to prove how wrong I am the more you prove exatly what I'm saying.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #288
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
If molson weren't so classless he wouldn't be running up the score on RendeR like this. Its just not fair.

this would be funny if he'd made a single point without basing it on lies.

molson, so now yer saying that your ONLY issue in this is that I said a Vast majority?

Funny, but in MY experience that is exatly what I saw. Sorry you disagree, but I'm not going to lie to everyone else to make you feel better. What you want to believe and reality don't appear to match based on MY experience.

but of course, I'm just hating, so I have to be wrong.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #289
molson
General Manager

Quote:
For you if we're bashing anything related we're just assholes being haters.

What's this "WE'RE"? You're the only one I have an issue with. I don't even mind the Pats haters, they just add to the fun. I hate the Colts, but that's a strictly entertainment-based "hate", like I hated the Lakers back in the day. (And that's the same kind of hate many people have for the Pats, which is cool). Your statements go much further and are completely over-the-top illogical, and at this point, I'm more annoyed by that than the actual content.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #290
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
And responding to your post above - were all of those 19,900 people jerks? 100% of the people you had contact with? That's an amazing statement.

Using your data sampling idea, i went to a game with 30,000 pepole, about a quarter of THOSE people were jerks, thats about 8k? I was giving an example of a grouping with jerks in it. Not saying all 8k in my specific section were ALL jerks.

The grocery store is just the general numbers I can remember, there are far more than 25 people within contact/earshot range in any large grocery store in massachusettes

Its all just words to you anyway, you aren't really reading them to try and understand them, you're just looking for another punchline to strike back at what you consider and injustice.

If you're not one of the asshole fans, then why do you care so much?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #291
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
What's this "WE'RE"? You're the only one I have an issue with. I don't even mind the Pats haters, they just add to the fun. I hate the Colts, but that's a strictly entertainment-based "hate", like I hated the Lakers back in the day. (And that's the same kind of hate many people have for the Pats, which is cool). Your statements go much further and are completely over-the-top illogical, and at this point, I'm more annoyed by that than the actual content.

Truth hurts. If it were really that illogical to you you'd have just ignored me.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #292
RendeR
Coordinator

Goodnight folks.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #293
molson
General Manager

Quote:

If you're not one of the asshole fans, then why do you care so much?

Good question - I have no idea. Mostly I'm trying to kill a little time at work. When someone bashes my entire home region, I also feel a little motivated to respond.

But I don't care that much. It's a message board. I'm not going to slash your tires or anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #294
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Good question - I have no idea. Mostly I'm trying to kill a little time at work. When someone bashes my entire home region, I also feel a little motivated to respond.

But I don't care that much. It's a message board. I'm not going to slash your tires or anything.

*cackles* wel thats good to know, especially becuse if you WERE going to do so I'd really be freaked out that you'd drive 9 hours to seek revenge from a message board argument
Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #295
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

DOLA: And the region itself really isn't at issue here. I adore the countryside, the mountains the trees everywhere, the ocean, and the history of the region is probably far and away the most well documented and important in the country.

Its not New England I despise, its the vast majority of its populace thats all, just the people.....in fact, remove everyone to like...mexico or something and let us repopulate it and see if its the region that turns everyone into asshats

An Experiment!!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #296
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, I gotta say - this isn't exactly an intellectually fair fight. One person understands statistics and anecdotal evidence - the other..... uses LOTS OF CAPS.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #297
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Enough of the Render - Molson topic.. a bigger issue has come up..

Render, I've looked for a USTA location in Central Mass that I can play in leagues without having to pay like $1500 a year in membership fees. THis was very common where I grew up, but i can't find anything like that here.. Its all tennis clubs that have horrible fees... Does anything like that exist in new england??
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #298
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Enough of the Render - Molson topic.. a bigger issue has come up..

Render, I've looked for a USTA location in Central Mass that I can play in leagues without having to pay like $1500 a year in membership fees. THis was very common where I grew up, but i can't find anything like that here.. Its all tennis clubs that have horrible fees... Does anything like that exist in new england??

The key thing is to play USTA leagues, not joina specific club. Saves you a ton of money in the long run.

Give me an Email and Phone number in a PM and I'll email Heather Anastos at the USTA-NE offices. I guarentee she'll either get in touch with you directly or deliver your info to the person(s) that will be able to answer your questions and get you playing as much tennis as you can handle.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #299
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
1) Sports leagues are NOT like regular businesses. Other businesses do not need their competitors to survive (and prosper) in order for them to prosper (unless they are subject to antitrust suits, but that's another story). Sports leagues require most, if not all, of the competitors to succeed. Otherwise, you aren't going to get any money. You think the Pats would be making much if they were a barnstorming team with no national TV deal?

2) I don't think that "dominating play" really will add to attendance. Winning will. Blowing everyone out, I'm not sure.

I just saw this post. I a little late on the commenting ... sorry.

On the whole, yes, it's in the LEAGUE's best interest that there's some parity, but we're not talking about the league as a whole -- for the Patriots, there's absolutely no incentive to hold back on scoring. In essence, the Patriots really gain nothing as a team if they allow teams to remain in the game until the end. They have no reason to allow teams "dignity" by pulling their punches.

For each 21 point blowout, it causes more media coverage, which leads to more merchandise sales, ect. If Brady breaks the TD record, it's good times financially for the team (and Brady, I figure he has an incentive bonus in his contract). If the team breaks records, these are the kinds of things a franchise can hang their hat on for decades. After all, the 49ers continue to sell Montana jerseys to this day.

To me, there's just no reason why a professional team should ever hold back on scoring. If you have the ability to score, if the offense is being paid to put points on the board, then you just have to let them do that.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 11-02-2007 at 06:57 AM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #300
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
If the team breaks records, these are the kinds of things a franchise can hang their hat on for decades. After all, the 49ers continue to sell Montana jerseys to this day.

I like this quote, because I think it backs my point . Aside from having the single season QB rating record, what big time records did Montana hold? What records did the 49ers have during his time there?

The answer is 4 SuperBowls. And you don't have to run up the score to achieve that.

And I'd assume the media coverage is more for the undefeated record. And we aren't talking 21 point blowouts, we are talking about going for more when you already are up by 21. I'd imagine 3 TDs or even 2 TDs of a lead will get you the media coverage you desire.