Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #251
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
so theres gonna be another season? i wonder which band, or if it will be AI like.

It would be funny if Axl Rose was one of the singers in the next series.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #252
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That new song, Easy Easy...was the main riff not a variation on the What You Need riff? They played them back to back, and that was a mistake. Sounded like a rip on their own song, with a standard chorus. It goes without saying that this album wouldn't be crap, even if Hutchence was live, but that song bothered me because of how similar it was to WYN.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #253
Ksyrup

I hope there's another season. Rockstar:Van Halen/Stone Temple Pilots/Alice In Chains - there are plenty of ways to go, although given the lack of a TV audience - not to mention how INXS ends up doing with the album/tour - perhaps they'll scare off some potential marks.

Maybe they can do Rockstar:Metallica and find someone who can replicate James' vocals circa 1988.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-20-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #254
Ksyrup

J.D. today became the first permanent lead singer of INXS since the departure of Jon Stevens but more so has to fill the void left after the death of original singer Michael Hutchence.

Following his win tonight, he joined INXS to perform the song 'Easy Easy' which is expected to be on the upcoming album. The bands new single is called 'Pretty Vegas' and is written by Andrew Farris and J.D Fortune and will be released on world-wide radio airwaves tomorrow.

Two things...I didn't know they even had another singer after Hutchence. I thought they'd been on hiatus since his death. Shows how far they've fallen off the map. Second, I guess it's possible that they could record a song in studio and have it to radio within a couple of days (I think last night's episode was taped on Sunday), but a better story is that they already recorded Pretty Vegas with him once they decided he would win and the song had legs 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #255
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
J.D. today became the first permanent lead singer of INXS since the departure of Jon Stevens but more so has to fill the void left after the death of original singer Michael Hutchence.

Following his win tonight, he joined INXS to perform the song 'Easy Easy' which is expected to be on the upcoming album. The bands new single is called 'Pretty Vegas' and is written by Andrew Farris and J.D Fortune and will be released on world-wide radio airwaves tomorrow.

Two things...I didn't know they even had another singer after Hutchence. I thought they'd been on hiatus since his death. Shows how far they've fallen off the map. Second, I guess it's possible that they could record a song in studio and have it to radio within a couple of days (I think last night's episode was taped on Sunday), but a better story is that they already recorded Pretty Vegas with him once they decided he would win and the song had legs 2-3 weeks ago.

Yeah, they have had a few different lead singers since then, touring and such. I remember they opened up Australia's olympic stadium with a different singer, cant remember his name, other than that he was black.

And the episode was taped yesterday in the morning, read that on Dave's blog.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:59 AM   #256
Ksyrup

Huh. So could they really record a song and get it distributed to radio that quickly? I don't know, but I doubt it.

The funny thing about the Jon Stevens guy is I have no clue who that is, but my immediate thought was of the teenage red-headed crooner from AI 2004. No wonder he didn't quite fit in with INXS!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #257
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Huh. So could they really record a song and get it distributed to radio that quickly? I don't know, but I doubt it.

The funny thing about the Jon Stevens guy is I have no clue who that is, but my immediate thought was of the teenage red-headed crooner from AI 2004. No wonder he didn't quite fit in with INXS!

They could have had him record the vocal (remember, they already laid the music track) in the last couple of weeks, along with tracks from Marty and Mig. They may have just had him do it, but I doubt they'd tip their hand to the singers that early.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 09-21-2005 at 08:19 AM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #258
Hurst2112
College Starter

Jimmy Barnes was with them for some time. He toured with them around 2000 (after Terence Trent Darby).

Barnes recorded the song "Good Times" with INXS back in 84.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #259
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

I would think they had the tune already mixed without vox. JD probably recorded the vocals during the show. After they mixed the vocals in, they would master it, and press some. They could turn it around pretty fast with FTP uploads.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #260
Ksyrup

I remember that song from the mid-80s, but had no clue he actually toured with them as their lead singer. Or that D'Arby did, either.

Who else - dare I ask - got run through the mill? Maybe that was the Jon Stevens from American Idol...
Old 09-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #261
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I remember that song from the mid-80s, but had no clue he actually toured with them as their lead singer. Or that D'Arby did, either.

Who else - dare I ask - got run through the mill? Maybe that was the Jon Stevens from American Idol...

Taken from INXS.com:

Over their career INXS have toured the world with numerous highlights such as playing to 250,000 people at the US Festival in California, with Queen at Wembley Stadium, headlining the huge HFS-Tival, performing for Prince Charles and Princess Dianna in Melbourne 1985, 100,000 people at Rock In Rio and their own sell out show to 75,000 people at Wembley Stadium.

The death of Michael Hutchence in November 1997 had a profound impact on the members of INXS, who had been close friends and collaborators for more than two full decades. In 1999 with guest vocalist Terence Trent D'Arby, they returned to the concert stage before 90,000 and a vast television audience to officially open Sydney's Olympic Stadium with a blistering performance. With guest vocalist Jon Stevens, INXS performed at the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympic Games in September 2000, broadcast to an estimated television audience of several billion people.

By the middle of 2002 INXS returned to the international concert arena with the band playing in South, Central and North America on a full scale tour with an overwhelming response and the band re-igniting interest from fans and media. Shows throughout Europe followed and multiple trips to Latin America which included headlining the huge Vina Del Mar Festival in Chile in 2003, broadcast to a global audience of 180 million.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #262
Hurst2112
College Starter

DOLA:

I don't think it's the same Stevens. The AI guy is John. INXS guy is Jon. Not to mention, He would have been 13 when he first sang with them...hehe.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #263
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Hurst2112, any news from Jordis?

FM
Old 09-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #264
Ksyrup

I know it's not the same guy, that was a joke. At the same time, one has to wonder...
Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #265
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Worst joke found on Fark while discussing this show

Quote:
Did they tell Michael Hutchinson that they were replacing him or did they just leave him hanging?

UGH!

Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #266
Ksyrup

Did the Bears tell Chad Hutchence that he flat-out sucked, or did they just cut him?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #267
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Hurst2112, any news from Jordis?

FM

Not yet. I have neglected to call her or her drummer from her local band. I will be soon though.

The distribution company I also work for has just gotten an order for another 3000 copies of Marty's band's CD.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #268
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

cool, let us know when you know something.

FM
Old 09-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #269
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Most things have been said but just a couple of points:

Check your tv schedules. Over here (Australia) Fox are showing a two hour show on Saturday night of the 1991 Wembley Stadium INXS concert. And on October 3rd they have a TEN hour show taken from this series.

Another INXS style program? Brooke commented at the end of the final show something to the effect that you should go to the show's web site and drop off your demo tape - "you could be on this stage next year". Whether "this stage" referred merely to the venue or another series I don't know.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 PM   #270
Ksyrup

Rockstar: Big Country!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #271
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
Another INXS style program? Brooke commented at the end of the final show something to the effect that you should go to the show's web site and drop off your demo tape - "you could be on this stage next year". Whether "this stage" referred merely to the venue or another series I don't know.

from rockstar.msn.com:
Quote:
Do you have what it takes to hold a stage, to front a world-class band, to headline a world tour?
Do you think you are a Rock Star?
Mark Burnett Productions is considering a second season of "Rock Star."
If you think you are good enough, send us a video and/or audio clip of your stuff. Please include all of your contact information.
No materials can be returned, and all materials are kept in the strictest of confidence.
Mail your submission to:
Rockstar Entertainment, Inc
Attn: Season 2 Casting
640 North Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049

So I'd assume she was talking about a possible Rockstar 2.

FM
Old 09-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #272
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Rockstar: Big Country!

Dreams do stay with you.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #273
Hurst2112
College Starter

A Van Halen rockstar would be worth watching. Imagine the shit a singer would have to put up with. Funny if Roth would be one of the contestants.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #274
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
A Van Halen rockstar would be worth watching. Imagine the shit a singer would have to put up with. Funny if Roth would be one of the contestants.

Really funny if Sammy Hagar also participated.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 PM   #275
Ksyrup

I read on two separate sites that:

1. VH was supposed to be the band THIS year, but they passed.

2. Rockstar did better in the ratings as the season went on, and Burnett will likely make a second season.

3. The rumor is STP, but the DeLeo brothers have been working with the guy from Filter in a new band and might decide not to do it.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:23 PM   #276
Joe
Pro Starter

yep. it did better in ratings as the show went on and was able to get access to better songs due to the good performances.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 PM   #277
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I read on two separate sites that:

1. VH was supposed to be the band THIS year, but they passed.

2. Rockstar did better in the ratings as the season went on, and Burnett will likely make a second season.

3. The rumor is STP, but the DeLeo brothers have been working with the guy from Filter in a new band and might decide not to do it.

Weren't they doing something with Chris Robinson???

Sidenote: Remember STP minus Weiland about 97. They changed their name to Talkshow. Had 1 album, 1 pretty good single.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #278
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

from canada.com
http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...2-5258c761bd5c

Quote:
Friday » September 23 » 2005
J.D. looks ahead to life of the famous
Jessica Whitby
CanWest News Service

Thursday, September 22, 2005

J.D. Fortune on the finale where he was named INXS's new lead singer. (AP/CBS, Monty Brinton)
TORONTO -- Less than 24 hours after his big win on the reality show Rock Star: INXS, Nova Scotian J.D Fortune already had a metaphor ready to describe his newly acquired celebrity.

"As far as being famous, I think fame is like honey on a knife. It tastes sweet at first but if you lick too much, you just might end up cutting your tongue. So, you just try to maintain a cool head about yourself," he said on Wednesday, during a a phone interview from Los Angeles.

On Tuesday night Australian rockers INXS decided Fortune, who beat 14 other contestants, was the right guy to front the band.

Along with the fame will likely come the temptations of sex, women, drugs and alcohol.

Fortune, who has openly discussed his past drug habits in his online blog, said he won't be swayed too easily.

"I've been in bands where there has been all that. And I've been through that stage in my life. I'm sure that the guys in INXS have also been exposed to that. But this is about making music," he says.

Fortune, who was born in Ontario, credits his five brothers for keeping him grounded.

He'll look to them to answer his questions because Fortune is all too aware he has a tough act to follow.

"Michael (Hutchence) is a light that will never die. And we, as fans, honour that. And as a band, honour that," he said.

Hutchence, INXS's original frontman, hanged himself in 1997.

Fortune doesn't want to replace Hutchence's legacy, but he says the band is "not finished their journey and I'm just along with them."

And to those who call him another 15-minute pre-fab wonder, Fortune pointed out the differences between his show and its competitors.

"American Idol is a star based on what they are telling you a star is. It is fame based on that, talent based on that. This is a band that has been there -- they have been one of the biggest bands on the planet. And for them to mentor us into this, they are nurturing us into this position as opposed to another show that is trying to weed out people and say: 'You're terrible, You're terrible.' "

INXS, and their newest member, will launch a concert tour that begins in the U.S. in January.

A special encore presentation of Rock Star: INXS featuring J.D.'s victory will be broadcast this Sunday at 5 p.m. on Prime.

-- National Post

FM
Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #279
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Don't know if this has been discussed yet but is this guy actually winning something by being named lead singer of a nothing band? 20 years ago he's the man. Now he's tagging along with a bunch of has beens.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #280
Ksyrup

The top 3 each got a 1987 Honda Civic.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #281
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
The top 3 each got a 1987 Honda Civic.

Rad.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #282
Ksyrup

By DEBORAH STARR SEIBEL

CBS's "Rock Star: INXS" rocked its way into ratings respectability: Top 10 in Nielsen's prized 18-to-49 demographic, the show finished a strong second in its time slot last week, with six million viewers. As the reality contest heads for its finale tonight, a show initially considered a major summer disappointment - and potential embarrassment to the reality producer Mark Burnett (whose credits include "Survivor" and "The Apprentice") - is sounding the right notes. Those working on the show say the reason for the turnaround is the music.

During the show's run, the 15 contestants - now winnowed down to three - have been covering some of the greatest anthems in rock history, including John Lennon's "Imagine," Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Pink Floyd's "Money."

Many of these songs have never been made available to prime-time shows or commercials, with the occasional exception of a telethon performance for disaster relief. Even Fox's "American Idol," consistently one of the most-watched television programs in the country (last season it boasted two finalists who billed themselves as rockers), hasn't been able to use most of the songs now playing on "Rock Star."

How did "Rock Star" - intended to find a new lead singer to replace Michael Hutchence (who died in 1997) - pull off what "Idol" couldn't?

"It's the William Hung factor," said the "Rock Star" executive producer David Goffin, in an interview at the show's Hollywood Hills mansion after a recent taping. Mr. Goffin is referring to the best-known "Idol" reject from the tens of thousands of truly awful singers who attempt to make the final cut.

Mr. Goffin is in a unique position to examine the differences between the shows because he served as supervising producer on "Idol" for its first three seasons. (A spokesman for he "Idol" executive producer, Nigel Lythgoe, said Mr. Lythgoe did not have time to comment.)

To Mr. Goffin one reason "Idol" is a hit - the showcasing of self-deluded singers during the audition process - is the very thing that prevents it from getting the kind of cooperation it needs from the music industry. "From a music standpoint," he said, "the musicians who write these great songs either a) feel bad for the people who butcher these songs, and/or don't want their music to be associated with people who could potentially sing it very badly."

Which is why the long shadow of "Idol" hung over "Rock Star" for months when the show's producers first lobbied for music clearances. The process began a year ago with personal meetings involving Mr. Goffin; the creator of "Rock Star," Mr. Burnett; the show's music clearance supervisor, Jill Meyers; and music industry executives. "They were really skeptical," Mr. Goffin said. "Mark being there helped a lot, because he doesn't want to ruin his reputation. And Jill has contacts in the industry that go pretty deep. But it wasn't like they said, 'Oh, O.K., here's our music.' We had to prove that this was not going to be a William Hung-esque show."

The producers presented record company executives with a promotional tape that they said showcased the contest's more serious nature. INXS has three multiplatinum albums (one selling at least a million copies is called a platinum) and four platinum albums to its credit. "We've written literally hundreds of songs since Michael's death," said the INXS lead guitarist, Tim Farriss. "We really need a singer." The show, from the beginning, was limited to talented and mostly professional singers. An added selling point was that Dave Navarro, lead guitarist from Jane's Addiction and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, had been chosen as host. But even that wasn't enough, Mr. Goffin said. "It really came down to how we were going to treat the music," he said.

Mr. Goffin said that basic issue of trust was overcome, slowly, with help from outside singers and songwriters who wanted to support INXS. "The Doors, very early on, said yes," he said. The Doors also lost their own original lead singer, Jim Morrison, in 1971, officially from heart failure. "When we got the Doors, I believe we obtained legitimacy," Mr. Goffin said. "There was a snowball effect."

The contestants seem impressed by the music available to them. The Canadian rocker Suzie McNeil, one of the final four, said she had an anxiety attack after grabbing "Bohemian Rhapsody." "It made me face all my insecurities," she said. "I didn't know if I was good enough to sing the song."

"A lot of our peers are watching this show and have cleared some incredible music," Mr. Farriss of INXS said. "Some of them have rung up and said, 'That was so good, what else would you like?' "
Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #283
rkmsuf
Head Coach

uh, ok.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #284
Ksyrup

Sorry, I posted that article in response to W's post yesterday about the show doing well and gaining access to better songs. It's kinda interesting, I didn't realize that's the way it worked. And it would explain why Idol is limited to uh, the music it is limited to.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #285
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

cool article Ksyrup, explains some stuff I wasn't really aware of, especially since I've never paid attention to any of the AI seasons, except for their worst of...

FM
Old 09-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #286
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry, I posted that article in response to W's post yesterday about the show doing well and gaining access to better songs. It's kinda interesting, I didn't realize that's the way it worked. And it would explain why Idol is limited to uh, the music it is limited to.

I kind of meant that I found it foolish as to the premise of the whole thing. The part where everyone is all concerned about people butchering their songs. Apparantly they never watched this show.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #287
Ksyrup

I didn't think anyone completely butchered a single song on this show, at least not in the sense of an AI butchering. It's one thing to put your spin on it and it not turn out very good; it's another to give it the William Hung treatment. Ironically, the only complete fuck up was by the guy who ended up winning, but that was more of a performance issue than an ability issue.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #288
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I didn't think anyone completely butchered a single song on this show, at least not in the sense of an AI butchering. It's one thing to put your spin on it and it not turn out very good; it's another to give it the William Hung treatment. Ironically, the only complete fuck up was by the guy who ended up winning, but that was more of a performance issue than an ability issue.

Just the fact the song appears on such a crappy show though seems lost on people.

Brooke Burke can barely read.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #289
Ksyrup

I keep trying to explain this...you have to separate the show from the outcome of the show. People keep saying the show sucked because the ultimate outcome was to pick a lead singer for a washed up band. That's not correct. The show itself was good - the performances, the weekly workshops, etc. I don't care about the host or the outcome. Just like I enjoy AI for the auditions and the embarrassment the rest of them go through in making stupid as fuck Coke commercials. A show can be entertaining even if no one gives a crap about the outcome. Has anyone heard the name Carrie Underwood in the past 4-6 months? I haven't.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #290
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I keep trying to explain this...you have to separate the show from the outcome of the show. People keep saying the show sucked because the ultimate outcome was to pick a lead singer for a washed up band. That's not correct. The show itself was good - the performances, the weekly workshops, etc. I don't care about the host or the outcome. Just like I enjoy AI for the auditions and the embarrassment the rest of them go through in making stupid as fuck Coke commercials. A show can be entertaining even if no one gives a crap about the outcome. Has anyone heard the name Carrie Underwood in the past 4-6 months? I haven't.

i have i seen her on several commercial, sporting events and talk shows.

Last edited by jbmagic : 09-23-2005 at 02:41 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #291
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i have i seen her on several commercial, sporting events and talk shows.

Yeah, but you don't count, because you watch all that shit.

Honestly, I haven't heard a single word about her since that show ended. I happened to see her CD single in BB the other say, and didn't even realize it had been released.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #292
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Don't know if this has been discussed yet but is this guy actually winning something by being named lead singer of a nothing band? 20 years ago he's the man. Now he's tagging along with a bunch of has beens.

I would dare say the winner is going to end up making much more money than you will this year. Having the band on television and in the press for the last few months almost guarentees this album will out-sell their last couple, and might even pull them a pretty big hit. Even if they do not, the contestants on this show just aren't marketing tools like you find on AI. A couple are going to make a pretty big mark on music soon, and much quicker/bigger than they would have without the exposure.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #293
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Besides JD and INXS, I would be very surprised if we don't hear from Marty, Suzie and Jordis in the music world very soon. I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 have more success than anyone has from AI.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:20 PM   #294
Ksyrup

I'm not sure about Suzie. Unless she carves out some kind of Melissa Etheridge/Sheryl Crow niche, I don't think she's unique enough to become a star. The other two have more going for them in that respect.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #295
Joe
Pro Starter

the new INXS will be on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson tonight. They were also on Ellen today, but I missed that.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #296
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

yep. theres a reason why they sing the same trash every season.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #297
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I hadn't realised that you needed permission to sing a song. I thought providing you paid the royalty fee or whatever you could sing it. You learn something every day.

Who the hell is Carrie Underwood?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #298
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm not sure about Suzie. Unless she carves out some kind of Melissa Etheridge/Sheryl Crow niche, I don't think she's unique enough to become a star. The other two have more going for them in that respect.

I'll buy her album/singles/Playboy spread.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:06 PM   #299
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Watched the 1991 INXS Wembley stadium concert last night - there's no way JD comes even close to Hutchence.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #300
Joe
Pro Starter

In case anyone was still wondering how the single was out so fast, I found this in an article:

Quote:
Equally exciting for Fortune is the fact that 'Pretty Vegas', the song he co-wrote with INXS guitarist Andrew Farriss, will be the first single from the album. The hook-ridden track, released earlier today, quickly became a fan favorite following Fortune's electrifying rendition on the hit CBS series Rock Star: INXS. The three finalists (Fortune, Mig Ayesa and Marty Casey) each went into the studio with INXS before the show's final taping to record new tracks, but it was 'Pretty Vegas' that struck a chord with fans. After viewers flooded message boards at MSN Music praising the song and the studio audience screamed for it at the finale, the choice was clear.