Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #251
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Can you cancel your backorder?

Not on-line apparently, which leads me to believe it might be a hassle. I've fired off an e-mail not expecting much. I'll still give them a couple days before I phone.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:13 PM   #252
Karim
College Starter

Hurst,

Did you include the "DEBUG_MODE" line?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:33 PM   #253
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So does the "don't know" thing do anything other than fix the non-licensed names?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:37 PM   #254
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
So does the "don't know" thing do anything other than fix the non-licensed names?

Mine fixed me a sandwich and washed my car.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #255
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Hurst,

I didn't and it works just fine.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 PM   #256
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
Mine fixed me a sandwich and washed my car.

ROTF!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #257
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Hurst,

I did not either and have had no issues.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #258
Johnny93g
College Starter

I dont Know worked without the debug mode..but too late....I like my game...I dont want to start over.....there has to be a way to incorperate it into careers already started
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 07-06-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #259
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I dont Know worked without the debug mode..but too late....I like my game...I dont want to start over.....there has to be a way to incorperate it into careers already started

If there is, I haven't found it.

Anyhow, I'm waiting for any 'other' additions we don't know about, not to mention another patch as I've had another crash - and a few cleanup issues. I'm also hoping a roster update comes down the pipe in the future.

Plus, there's so much I still need to learn about the game.

The good thing is, a dynasty is easy to write up/transfer into a forum message.

Todd
Old 07-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #260
Swaggs
Coordinator

Anyone know much about "pundits?"

And how I can get one for my team?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:34 AM   #261
Karim
College Starter

I vaguely remember Marc saying there was a pundit file that can be editted...
Old 07-07-2004, 03:25 AM   #262
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Time to say the official line ....

(dusts it off)

Any editing of files supplied with games created by Sports Interactive is in violation of the EULA agreement that you digitally sign when you install the game and is in no way condoned by SI.

Any changes made to the game by such alterations are not officially part of the game as supplied and as such will not be supported by SI.

This has been a public information broadcast, thank you for listening ...

Marc
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:35 AM   #263
korme
Go Reds

i want this game

and i watch 0 hockey

:-/
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:51 AM   #264
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g

AFAIK, from the CM series, there is no way to do it without starting a new career. I think it causes it to load the data when the game starts for the first time, it can't change that info when a game has already been created.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #265
Johnny93g
College Starter

That pisses me off more then anything....It's a great little secret to have, but I wish I knew it before I started to enjoy my game......

As for the editing thing, I hope someone figures out some way to edit once the game has started...I'd like to put in my players pictures, as well as at least editing the arenas.....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #266
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've got a simple question. Haven't started playing quite yet, but I will have some time this weekend. Been debating starting NHL:EHM or going back to my CM 03/04 career (Euro 2004 fever an all). The question is:

Is the game playable as is? Should I wait for another patch before I start?
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #267
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Playable as is.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #268
condors
College Starter

i have played it over 30 hours and haven't had a single crash yet
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #269
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Nice post on player development by the prolific (and knowledgeable) JeffR:

Quote:
I've had the game running for 11 seasons now, so I've got a pretty interesting pile of results to look at. I thought I'd list what's become of the first-overall NHL draft picks in order to show off the variety in the way players progress (skipping 2004 and 2005 to start with the first one that isn't a "real" player that starts in the database, to avoid spoilers.)

2006: Nashville - Andrei Sokolov, RW/LW, Almetyevsk, Russia. Spent one more year in Russia, then came over and struggled in his rookie season, getting 23 points and going minus-33 in 75 games. Picked it up after that, especially after a trade to Phoenix in 2009, becoming a reliable 50+ point guy and having one 76-point season, but hasn't quite blossomed into a top star.

2007: Ottawa - Dennis Gibson, C/RW, Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL. Couldn't make the Ottawa squad in his first two tries, although when he finally joined them in 2009-10 had a reasonable first year (35 points) and progressed steadily in his next two seasons. His point total fell off dramatically after that, though, and he's basically a third-line utility player now. (His career looks like a blend of two real Ottawa first-rounders, Alexandre Daigle and Jason Spezza.)

2008: Dallas - Terry Dufour, RW/C, Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL. The second consecutive #1 overall from the Acadie-Bathurst Titan, he moved up to the NHL at the same time as Gibson and made a much bigger early impact, getting 64 points and finishing as Calder Trophy runner-up. A knee injury early in his second hurt his progress, and he's missed a lot of time with other problems since then. Still, he's one of the Stars' best players and could have some big years in front of him.

2009: Boston - Terry Gordon, C, Regina, WHL. A big man that bears a bit of a resemblance to his ex-Boston teammate Joe Thornton, he progressed slowly and wound up playing in the WHL through his overage year. His rookie season in 2012-13 was solid, though (46 points and an all-star game appearance thanks to a big first half.) A knee injury ended his sophomore season at 49 games, but by that point he'd already surpassed his rookie goal total. If he heals properly, it looks like he could turn into a superstar.

2010: Pittsburgh - Scott Groleau, C, Tri-City, WHL. Made the Penguins as an 18-year-old, and put up a credible 31 points. Since then, his point totals have been right around 50, but he's become one of the league's best defensive players and the Pens' captain, a Mike Peca-esque player. Played on the 2014 Canadian Olympic gold medal-winning team.

2011: Calgary - Rob Doria, C, Rouyn-Noranda, QMJHL. The first American on this list, he made the Flames a year after being drafted and had a 29-point rookie season. He improved to 40 in his second year and looks like he'll continue to progress.

2012: Columbus - Andrei Tezikov, C/LW, Moscow Spartak, Russia. Opted to stay in Russia for two more years and dominated the league as a 20-year-old, running away with the scoring title. Signed a contract with the Bluejackets in the summer of 2014, and could wind up being the best of this group.

2013: Pittsburgh - Chad Patterson, LD, Kitchener, OHL. A big (6'4, 227) defender, he spent the 2013-14 back in Kitchener and put up amazing numbers for a defenseman in the Rangers' run to the Memorital Cup tournament. The Penguins haven't been able to get his name on a contract yet.

2014: Chicago - Kerry Baird, LD/RD, Lewiston, QMJHL. A tough offensive defenseman who led his junior team to two consecutive Memorial Cup appearances, winning the tournament last season. May need to improve his skating to succeed in the NHL, though.

All in all, a pretty varied group. Some guys who'll become superstars, a few mediocrities, and one guy (Gibson) who's pretty much a bust. If I remember the freeware game right, it was pretty hard to screw up with a #1 overall pick. Not so here.

And to further impress on the non-hockey/non-NHL fans the need for good scouting, here's a list of where each of the Calder Trophy (NHL Rookie of the Year) winners were taken in the draft.

2004: #78 overall.
2005: #2.
2006: #3.
2007: #15.
2008: #1.
2009: #204.
2010: #65.
2011: #4.
2012: #14.
2013: #2.
2014: #21.

So you don't necessarily need a top-5 pick to pick up a star player.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:38 PM   #270
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Is the game playable as is? Should I wait for another patch before I start?

The game is playable, and appears to be more stable than any new game from SI I have ever played. And I have played them all.

I would probably wait until the next patch before starting a serious game as it looks like it is due within the next week or two.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #271
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm sitting staring at the demo confused and not sure where to start. How good is the manual on the downloaded version?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 PM   #272
Hurst2112
College Starter

the manual is pretty thorough as far as initial settings go. I am of course talking about the manual for the purchased download (which I think would be the one you are playing). I would certainly start with a team and league you are familiar with. I haven't gone into the manual deep enough to tell you anything else from the setup, forward.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #273
BigDPW
College Prospect

Has anyone found a way to call up a unsigned prospect that you have drafted the rights to for the preseason??? Isn't this allowed in the NHL... I remember the Hurricanes having a few guys that they owned the rights to but that were unsigned in camp the last few years that returned to play juniors during the reg season or went back to play in their native country until they were ready...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #274
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Nice post on player development by the prolific (and knowledgeable) JeffR:

thats AWESOME. Where did you find that?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #275
Blackadar
Retired

Can anyone comment on how fun the draft and free agency is? Is the inability to trade picks once the draft starts a killer?

Right now, I'm strongly leaning towards not buying the game for a few reasons. I spent 10 hours with the demo and I like it a lot. However...

1. I'd like to see some of the known bugs fixed. Like college teams not getting players. Scoring issues in the minor leagues. Trade counteroffer problems (being rejected by the team that proposes the offer). And a few others.

2. Softwrap. I'm just not crazy about spending $40 for DL software. I think I'd rather have the disk and manual. But I don't want to spend $50+ (US) having it shipped from overseas. If I could order it from Amazon UK, I'd get the Football Manager/EHM combo pack. But they don't seem to ship to the US on that one. (shit)

The one thing I haven't really experienced is the draft - and it may be the thing that pushes me over the edge. I always loved drafting in FOF and was wondering how good the implementation is.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #276
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
thats AWESOME. Where did you find that?

On the SI boards.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:22 PM   #277
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
2. Softwrap. I'm just not crazy about spending $40 for DL software. I think I'd rather have the disk and manual. But I don't want to spend $50+ (US) having it shipped from overseas. If I could order it from Amazon UK, I'd get the Football Manager/EHM combo pack. But they don't seem to ship to the US on that one. (shit)

Blackie:

In case it helps, GoGamer is a US company that occasionally picks up imports before their US release. They have the game. $6 shipping gets it to you in two days:

GoGamer Link

I've used them a couple of dozen times in the past four years or so and only had one problem with them in that time. Otherwise, they've been very good.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #278
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Dola...

Am thinking of buying, but a couple of quick questions. I was wondering how the speed of the game is if you have all the leagues running. Anyone comment on the game's speed when running all the leagues on a fast computer system?

Also, is it possible to start out as a manager in some low-level British team and gradually work your way over to manage in the NHL? Is the job market for managers well done?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 PM   #279
The_herd
College Starter

1) I believe Sab is running all leagues on enhanced and said sim speed is pretty good.

2) I really can't comment because I've played 1 season so far. But if the job market system is the same as CM, then yes, its very well done.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 PM   #280
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

GB,

You are able to apply for any job that is avaliable in any league you are simming. I haven't had much to worry about since I started with the NHL, but the manual has a nice section on it.

Quote:
Tracking Your Career
Your career will obviously be of extreme importance to you. From the drop-down
menu underneath your manager name to the top left of the screen there are a
number of options to help you track your career.
General Manager Points
For each of your actions in NHL TMEastside Hockey Manager, you can earn
Manager Points. These are mainly achieved through winning games, maintaining a
high league position, and making good progress with your team. Should you earn
enough points, you may end up gracing the managerial Hall of Fame.

Your reputation when starting a new game is naturally set to Unproven. A further six
categories follow into which you will eventually find yourself. These are Star, Superb,
Very Good, Good, OK and Normal.
General Manager Stats
Using the View Menu, you can view a number of statistics for all General Managers
in your game world.
History
Here you can view a complete summary of your career. Each milestone is listed, such
as trades and deals made, competitions won, and new jobs. From the View and
Filter menus respectively, you can view almost anything you wish to.
Applying for a new job
There may come a time where you want to look to pastures new by applying for any
attractive managerial positions which may become available to you. To view any
vacancies, and also any jobs which are in precarious positions, click to the Job
Information screen from the option in the drop down menu underneath your
managerial name.
To apply for any vacant jobs click the team who have the vacant position, then ‘Apply
for Job’ to the bottom right of the following screen.
Be aware that your board will not be too pleased with your apparent lack of
commitment to your current job, and should you unsuccessfully apply for a number of
jobs, they may well decide to sack you.
Should your career be progressing successfully, and the opportunity arises, you may
wish to move into international management. NHL
TM
Eastside Hockey Manager
includes the major international hockey tournaments, and allows
the general manager to select their roster and hire and fire staff in order to give you as
good a chance as possible of making a name for yourself on the international scene.
Resigning and Retiring
Should it all become a little too much for you, and frankly you see no future at your
team, you can resign from your job and become a commodity who may freely be
approached by any team looking to hire you.
Furthermore, if it really becomes too much and you want out altogether, and you
perhaps see your future in another field, you can retire from the sport completely,
removing your manager and all stats with it.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-07-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #281
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

The Herd, Sachmo: Thank you much! That looks perfect.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #282
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

As for the speed, someone posted on the SI board about having all league running and the sims taking 7 to 10 seconds per day and was wondering if it were normally that long!!

On my PII 300, it takes about 5 minutes to get through a day.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #283
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have a reasonably good system with half the leagues running in standard mode. One day takes about 10 seconds to sim. Not great, since it's enough to pull you out of the game, but still pretty darn quick considering everything that's going on.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #284
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Getting thrashed by other teams? Check out the new EHM forums on SI!

Tactical Tips Forum

Good Player Guide
Old 07-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #285
Karim
College Starter

Also want to make mention of a user-created pundit file available which will enable real media names appear in the game. It was available yesterday on the SI boards. I'm not sure if this is something that should be linked to.

I think you have to create a /media directory in the data directory for it to function. I downloaded the softwrap version (just 6 month trial) and didn't see a media directory there.

Of course, again, a new career is required to see any effects.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #286
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName
I'm sitting staring at the demo confused and not sure where to start. How good is the manual on the downloaded version?

You can download the manual yourself. If you go to SI's main site, in their downloads section, you can find the manual in four different languages (one of which just happens to be English )
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:30 PM   #287
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also want to make mention of a user-created pundit file available which will enable real media names appear in the game. It was available yesterday on the SI boards. I'm not sure if this is something that should be linked to.

I think you have to create a /media directory in the data directory for it to function. I downloaded the softwrap version (just 6 month trial) and didn't see a media directory there.

Of course, again, a new career is required to see any effects.

PM me with this info, please! How are you finding this? I'm reading through the posts over there and can't find any of this info.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 07-09-2004, 06:16 AM   #288
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

There's also an enhanced commentary file kicking around on the net now which appears to be getting positive feedback from people if you're interested in 'add-ons' ...
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #289
Galaril
Pro Starter

I came across this.Guys sounds like he knows enough to make a fair review based on playing the game.

link:
http://www.priomh.com/comments.php?id=33_0_1_0_C
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:52 PM   #290
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, here's an odd question. I download the game fromteh link and run the install. It unzips the install and then I get my usual scanning file by Nortons on the data file. At that point I gdet a download manager prompt that seems to be downloading NIS2004.exe with multiple scans start coming up for file NIS2004.exe.xdb

This has happened with two different versions of the download, one from over the weekend and one from just last night.

The download for that last file is at like 2Kps. I have never had this dowload manager come up before, even with recently downloaded installs like OOTP.

Has anyone seen this?

What screen does everyone else get after the install extracts itself?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #291
Karim
College Starter

I don't know if there's a problem or not but...

I tried to get as many European prospects a trial during exhibition. I first scouted them to see if they were worthy and then offered them a trial. I managed to get 4 over but then the ability to offer a trial disappeared. I'm not sure why. Is 4 a maximum? I had 29 players on my roster.

Also, for some strange reason, John Slaney kept getting called up even though I already had 8 defensemen on my roster. I simmed and found out somehow he was in the lineup even though I never called him up. I've since demoted him (had to place him on waivers first) and I haven't noticed this happening again. Strange...
Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #292
Swaggs
Coordinator

Is there any way to compliment your players through the media?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:54 AM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs

I don't think there is in this version. It will be added on for sure. It's in CM, but wasn't added into the game until quite recently if I recall.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:05 AM   #294
sabotai
General Manager

I have an AMD 1800+ and 786 RAM with all leagues on Enhanced. It takes anywhere between 2 seconds and 10 seconds to sim a day, depending on what the AI needs to do and how many games are being played that day.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:55 AM   #295
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Okay, here's an odd question. I download the game fromteh link and run the install. It unzips the install and then I get my usual scanning file by Nortons on the data file. At that point I gdet a download manager prompt that seems to be downloading NIS2004.exe with multiple scans start coming up for file NIS2004.exe.xdb

This has happened with two different versions of the download, one from over the weekend and one from just last night.

The download for that last file is at like 2Kps. I have never had this dowload manager come up before, even with recently downloaded installs like OOTP.

Has anyone seen this?

What screen does everyone else get after the install extracts itself?
This is a fairly common problem - you've got another setup installation file in your temporary files folder so the installer is running that instead of the correct one, if you flush your temporary files it'll install correctly.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:43 AM   #296
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
As far as just coming out and complimenting players on your own, that was not available in CM3 and EHM is based on that engine. From the dynasties, it sounds like the CM4 engine has added that ability so I would expect that from the next edition.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #297
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Marc, got it up and runnign finally. Good job to everyone there at SI on this one, early impressions are quite favorable.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:01 PM   #298
Ryan S
Quarterback

Can someone please post links to the media files and config files, or to EHM fan sites? I can't find anything over at SIGames, and my search is not being helped by the fact that it takes about 20 seconds to load a page since they upgraded the board software. (And I have a broadband connection)

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-10-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #299
Karim
College Starter

This is the best pundit file I've found...includes more WHL and Finnish media sources...
http://nwps.ws/~koli/EHM/pafiledb/pa...ion=file&id=20

Here is a link to the only commentary add-on I've found...
http://www.geocities.com/smetana6666/download.html

As for the config files, that breaks the EULA so there won't be a link but if you look on page 5 of this thread, all the information is there.

~~~~~
pundit.cfg goes into /data/media --> You'll have to create this directory if you have the downloaded version of the game. I just learned you DON'T have to start a new career to get the media effects.

events_eng.cfg replaces the same file in /data/match events --> Make a backup of the original.

extra_config.cfg in /data/database is the config file in question.
~~~~~

That's the most up to date information I have.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #300
Karim
College Starter

I should also mention another "hidden" feature. Apparently you can trade during the draft although there are no AI-AI or AI-initiated trades.

Matt from Sega: "...select a team, offer a trade, and click "continue game". The draft doesn't advance, but you get an instant response - exactly as you would if you were in the draft scenario."