Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #251
Ragone
Pro Rookie

i bet this is some ploy by the lakers to make themselves look like superheros "hey lets go down 3games to 1 and come back and win it for a challenge"
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:51 AM   #252
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Lakers can't lose. Remember, Phil Jackson is some super basketball genius so this must be some ploy of his to get Detroit on the ropes.

Either that or this is one of the few times that he ever had to really try to COACH a game...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 AM   #253
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd like all the people who have been comparing Kobe to Jordan to stop and ask themselves how many times Jordan was a non-factor in a Bulls playoff series when he was in his prime. Kobe has disappeared three out of four games in the Finals.

Oh, and Jordan never had the league's most dominating center around to help take the pressure off of him.

And could the Lakers be any more whiny?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #254
Driftwood
Banned

I hate the Lakers almost as much as I hate my father, but for slightly different reasons.
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:53 AM   #255
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I'd like all the people who have been comparing Kobe to Jordan to stop and ask themselves how many times Jordan was a non-factor in a Bulls playoff series when he was in his prime. Kobe has disappeared three out of four games in the Finals.

Oh, and Jordan never had the league's most dominating center around to help take the pressure off of him.

And could the Lakers be any more whiny?

They could be, Kodos but by now it doesn't matter. Michael Jordan played better than Kobe Bryant does now when Michael was sick with the flu. The only player out there that seemed sick was Bryant, hoisting up complete garbage out there, and taking away from Shaq who was man-handling guys underneath, I blame the majority of this loss on Bryant who has been totally out of his game since the last 40 seconds of game two.

Karl Malone, the finger-jabbin' 40 yr old cowboy thought that he was going to ride the Kobe & Shaq show to an NBA title, is getting quite a wake up call, and I think the look on his face (the few times they showed him on the bench) was priceless, he looked shocked and bewildered that Shaq & Kobe can't beat these guys on their own. Hey Karl, here's a tip get your PG to make a basket and you might be halfway there. Then again I'm no Phil Jackson so maybe this is what they're TRYING to do.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #256
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
i bet this is some ploy by the lakers to make themselves look like superheros "hey lets go down 3games to 1 and come back and win it for a challenge"

Hate to say, that's crossed my mind too. Yeah, I know, it's ridiculous. But....

Anyway, Miami's PA guy is way worse than Detroit's.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #257
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

All right. One more game. Let's get it done, boys!
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:36 AM   #258
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Phil Jackson was outcoached...
Old 06-14-2004, 06:13 AM   #259
DeToxRox
Head Coach

LionsFan: This has been amazing. I can't believe how dominating the Pistons have been this series. People finally can see that the Eastern Conference is not JV any longer.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #260
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
LionsFan: This has been amazing. I can't believe how dominating the Pistons have been this series. People finally can see that the Eastern Conference is not JV any longer.
Just not JV this year.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:37 AM   #261
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I dislike Phil Jackson just as much as the next guy. But just how exactly was he outcoached? You don't think he told Kobe to get the ball to Shaq? Kobe can do whatever he wants whenever he wants because Phil can't bench him. The lakers need him too much.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:47 AM   #262
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs
Hate to say, that's crossed my mind too. Yeah, I know, it's ridiculous. But....

Anyway, Miami's PA guy is way worse than Detroit's.

That kid that did the rookie game introductions on all-star weekend has the be the worst. Or was I the only one that wanted to slap him and tell him to just shut up?
Old 06-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #263
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Between the announcer and Kid Rock, that was THE worst pre-game I have ever witnessed. And I'm a Pistons fan. I'm sure the announcer is great when you're at the game with everyone screaming and anticipating tip-off of a big game and everything, but....well, I wasn't at the game. And he was damned annoying.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #264
Kodos
Resident Alien

Say... Where is MrBug? Shouldn't he be telling us how the Lakers are still going to win?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #265
Radii
Head Coach

Bug has been more reasonable the past few games, but I wouldnt' jump into this lions den either if I was a lakers fan

I think games 3 and 4 will slow down the kobe-jordan comparasions for awhile.

Actually losing an NBA Finals will help too, assuming that does indeed happen.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #266
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This has been too much fun so far. It can't end here. It just can't. I loved the story about Fisher, Fox, and George (was it?), and maybe Shaq and Kobe, who took Jackson into the bathroom in the Palace begging him to change the line-up. Between that and Magic's tirade, this has been a beauty to watch. I admit, I would love to see the Lakers losing to anyone. That alone would bring joy. But to have them losing to the Pistons. Our (city of Detroit) team! The very antithesis of the Lakers. It's better than I could have ever imagined. Just one. more. game. Must. win.

Great piece from Eric Neel... (I have never heard of him either)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=neel/040611

By Eric Neel
Page 2

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- It's 2-1 Pistons now, and the 100 different reasons for it all boil down to this: Detroit's got soul.

I know my Jr. Walker and the All-Stars, and I can lip-synch along with the Supremes, so I knew this. But last night in The Palace, it wasn't a thing I knew, it was a thing I could feel, from the floorboards to the rafters and everywhere in between.

The joint was jumping from the get. The crowd came early and they were loud long before the tip. By the time Anita Baker was plumbing the depths and scaling the heights of the National Anthem, hopping up and down like a young James Brown on the "Home of the brave" line, they were apoplectic.

In L.A., the fans, even the famous ones, are appreciative, and they get riled right on cue. But in Detroit, things are of a different order. In Detroit, they seem to sing and shout out of some fundamental, gut-bucket need. They make noise like they were born to it, like it's the full expression of who and where they are.

The din is unbelievable. It's percussive. Even if you're sitting still on press row, it accelerates your heart rate and the rhythm of your breathing.

Everything's different in an environment like this. Everything's heart and hunger in a room like this. Pretty and polish, professionalism and poise -- they're beside the point. It's all Brando aching for Stella in "On The Waterfront" and Rocky shouting for Adrian after the first fight with Apollo.

It's out-there, naked, free-form, full of individual want and collective desire.

It can be ugly and ragged, but it's got soul, baby. It's super-bad.

And the Pistons are the perfect basketball expression of it.

Larry Brown tells reporters he feels for Kobe and Karl. He speaks openly about his admiration and love for his players. He gets red-faced from anger and affection in equal measure. He runs the huddle like he's in a foxhole. He's not cagey or magisterial. He's not giving lectures or striking a philosophical pose. He's not acting cool or indifferent. He's coaching. He's being a coach.

Soul.

Ben Wallace's 'do and his arms-and-the-man patrol of the key?

Soul.

Rip's mask and the way he throws his lanky frame into traffic?

The way Rasheed bounces onto the court like he's stepping off the Mothership and Bootsy's backing him up?

Soul.

And you know it's in Tayshaun, in the boney way he gets up in Kobe's grill, sprints to the spot and holds his ground. Again and again and again and again.

And it's in Billups, too, when he withstands Kobe's pressure and somehow repeatedly finds room to breathe and to shoot.

Hell, it's the essence of the whole Detroit team, if you think about it. Look at these guys: They're cast-offs, they're players other teams didn't want or gave up on. "Trouble-makers," "under-achievers," 'tweeners, and guys who never quite developed somewhere else. And now they're a band of brothers who rally to and for each other from tip-off to final buzzer.

The Lakers have soul, too. Malone is laying it all out there. Kobe draws on deep reserves, to be sure. But their heart is a fractured thing. You can see it during timeouts. They don't huddle. They barely speak. Phil stands at a distance. Even in the most crucial moments of a game, the players seem disconnected.

They were no match for the deep-down way the Pistons got after it Thursday night. And that doesn't figure to change between now and the end of the series. Six days ago, most people outside of Detroit thought there was no way they could contain Devean and the Hall of Famers. Now it seems impossible that the Lakers will be able to stand up to the soul tide rolling through this series.

The Pistons killed on second-chance points (16-3) last night. They owned the offensive glass (15-7).

Those are the will numbers, the heart numbers, the numbers that inspire and feed off the frenzy of the fans.

It's a cliche to say the team that wants it more will win, but there are times when clichés are the truth, Ruth. And right now, the difference in this series is that the Pistons are scrambling and jumping on D, busting it in transition, boxing out, shouting out, and generally playing, as LT once said, "like a pack of wild dogs."

They go on long shooting droughts (the second quarter of Game 3 was a harrowing 4-of-15) and they make bad decisions that stir the bile in Larry's belly from time to time -- ill-advised alley-oops from Billups to Ben, bounce passes from Hunter into traffic that ricochet off ankles and knees, and so on. But they never sit and they never settle.

Not ever.

I'm a big fan of the West Coast game, of the dazzling runs of the Mavs and the smooth cuts and passes of the Kings. For months now, I've been telling anyone who'd listen that theirs was the essence of the game and that the Eastern style was a sluggish, rim-rattling travesty by comparison.

But last night, listening to a horn ensemble called the Sun Messengers breaking down "Bustin' Loose" alongside The Palace floor, watching skinny little kids and fat old ladies, black, white, and brown, dance with abandon in red-white-and-blue Afro wigs, feeling the noise, and seeing the Piston players shake, rattle, and roll, I realized I've been wrong.

Their edges are never as smooth as a Kobe J, and their punch is never as powerful as a Shaq dunk. But this team shares the ball. They work the pick-and-roll. They play as one. They do what Brown calls "playing the game right," not because they're perfect but because they're perfectly committed.

Like someone once said about jazz, and like I'm saying here and now about the soulful show the players and the patrons put on here in Auburn Hills, "it's not beautiful, but it is."

And this team from the East, this team that's beating up on the team I've spent a lifetime loving ... I gotta say, they're a joy to watch.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:15 AM   #267
MrBug708
Head Coach

*sigh*

Pistons in 5
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:19 PM   #268
Kodos
Resident Alien

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
*sigh*

Pistons in 5

Surrender? Are the Lakers French?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #269
MrBug708
Head Coach

The French havent threepeated....

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-14-2004 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense
Old 06-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #270
Kodos
Resident Alien

The French weren't heavily favored to win.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #271
druez
Banned

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=26216

I love it.... This next game is where the NBA comes in and influcenes the game through officiating so it goes to 6. Then the Pistons close it out in LA.

Druez the Prophet and new script writer for the NBA
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #272
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=26216

I love it.... This next game is where the NBA comes in and influcenes the game through officiating so it goes to 6. Then the Pistons close it out in LA.

Druez the Prophet and new script writer for the NBA

Where have you been. I'd expected this a couple games ago.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #273
druez
Banned

I did make a mention a few days ago after game 3.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #274
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Not until I see David Stern handing Coach Brown the trophy will I assume the series is over.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #275
rexallllsc
Banned

Imagine what the Lakers haters would say if there was the largest foul descrepancy in the playoffs in 25 years in favor of the Lakers?

That being said, they Lakers are just being outworked, and have no answer for Billups (and last night, Wallace).

If the Lakers lose to this team, I won't really be that bummed...it's a solid team who is playing good ball, and they aren't as hateable, IMO, as the Kings, and to a lesser extent, the Spurs.

That being said, I think the key game is Tuesday. If the Lakers win, I think they'll win the title. Obviously if the Pistons win...

rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:59 PM   #276
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I loved listening to the comments of Laker's broadcaster/former player Michael Thompson on the radio today. Basically, he gave the Pistons no credit, saying that the only reason they were winning is because it was all some grand conspiracy, with the league actively pushing the refs to call fouls for the Pistons more.

This despite the fact that the Lakers are the 'Yankees of basketball', have had three times as much coverage leading up to and, often, during the finals, and Detroit, well...lets just say, seems to be the city everybody loves to hate. Yet, suddenly the NBA dumps the Lakers. Good call Thompson, you and your team can keep talking stupid. Hopefully you continue to do so after the series is over, during the off-season, and all next season too. Give the Pistons no respect. It just motivates them that much more. Surely you've noticed?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #277
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I have no problems with reading Laker fans complain about the officiating, in fact I want to read it just to laugh at the pure irony.

Anybody who watched the game last night could see the Detroit was by far the aggressor, they were attacking the rim every chance they got and that is how you get fouls called. Shaq is the only one who showed up and played his tail off. Kobe was busy firing off fade away 3pters with 2 seconds left on the clock, that is now how you are going to shoot free throws.

But regardless, please, if you want to go and complain about the officiating feel free to do so. It makes this all that much sweeter to watch.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 06-14-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #278
Kodos
Resident Alien

I love watching Phil Jackson's mouth gape open as he thinks "They're actually not just handing us the trophy this year"...

It's almost as nice as watching #11 suffer.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #279
RainRaven
High School JV

It's funny how when in past years and series the Lakers have been getting every damn call it seems and suddenly when they don't they go whining right away. I see a Pistons team that is playing with maxiumum effort on damn near every pocession. The Lakers on the other hand stand on one spot.. wait for Shaq to get the ball.. stand some more... Shaq passes and then Kobe shoots the ball with 4 hands in his face with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. The Pistons are grabbing offenseive boards all the time yet the Lakers aren't getting any calls.. hrump. I heard that Laker broadcaster on ESPN Radio today and just about laughed my ass right off the highway. I hope the Lakers go down hard on tuesday and they can all shut the hell up for a year.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #280
rexallllsc
Banned

Now you guys know how Lakers fans feel about hearing everyone bitch about the Lakers getting calls the last few years.

Then again, I'm sure you guys will say the Lakers DID get the calls...
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:35 PM   #281
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Neel on Page 2
It's all Brando aching for Stella in "On The Waterfront" and Rocky shouting for Adrian after the first fight with Apollo.

Stick with the movie you've seen, Eric. "Stella" was in A Streetcar Named Desire.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #282
Kodos
Resident Alien

Stella!!!
Can't you hear me yell-a?
You're putting me through hell-a!
Stella!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #283
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Kobe called his shot today and did a Namath. I saw part of their news conference today and I'm starting to think Kobe is on his own planet. The guy was laughing and giggling through the whole thing like losing last night was just another game and no big deal. Now this (which wasn't part of the news conference I saw). I wonder if he even realizes just how badly his team has been outclassed. It's not like the Piston lucked into these wins or just a bad call here are there would make the difference. The Piston clearly look like the better team.

BTW, hooray for me, this is post #1,000.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=1821889

ESPN.com news services
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- It wasn't the defiant assurance of Rasheed Wallace's "They will not win Game 2" vow in the East Finals. Still, Kobe Bryant's quietly confident claim after the Lakers' Game 4 loss in the NBA Finals certainly qualified as a guarantee.

"I'm telling you right now," Bryant told the Los Angeles Times after Sunday's 88-80 defeat to Detroit. "We'll win Tuesday."

When asked about his Game 5 promise during Monday's media session, Bryant backpedaled from his comments before stepping forward to take ownership.

"I'll go with that, man. It's fine with me," Bryant said. "We don't have a choice. We've got to win. We've got to get it done.

"I think we came up here [and the] best-case scenario was to get three [wins], the next was to get two. … We still have an opportunity to get one. The worst possible scenario is you drop all three of these [games] but I don't think that's going to happen."

Bryant's teammates weren't surprised by the remarks. In fact, they didn't have to think twice before throwing their support behind No. 8.

"I feel that way, too," Shaquille O'Neal said.

"That makes two of us. … All we need is about six more people," Rick Fox added.

The danger in all of this, of course, is that Bryant will try to do too much to back up his words. A disappointing 8-for-25 performance in which the shots became increasingly difficult only figures to fuel the competitive fire of Bryant, who's shooting 31.6 percent (12 for 38) since his late heroics in Game 2.

Poor shot selection is partly to blame for Bryant's slump. The other reason has been Tayshaun Prince's 7-foot-plus wingspan blocking Bryant's view of the basket at all times.

"When Rasheed guaranteed a victory, he was trying to make a statement to us and to the coaching staff that we've got to come out with the right mind set," Prince said. "I don't know if that's what he's doing, but I think when a guy makes a statement like that he's really trying to get his guys focused on what has to be done. Obviously being down 3-1 is a must-win for him."

"We know Kobe is one of those people who are going to contribute in the game, so he's going to have to find a rhythm in the course of the game, so he's exploring that," coach Phil Jackson said. "That part of it I think is OK. But the timing and the choices [of shots] I think are what's important right now."

The way Derek Fisher sees it, if any Laker is going to make such a prediction, it may as well be Bryant.

"That's the right guy for us to start with in terms of his belief [of] the things he can do to help our team on the court [and] help us get a win," Fisher said. "That's what it's all about at this point. I don't think there's really much to talk about. We have to win to keep this thing going."

"We realize what we're up against," Karl Malone said. "We're not copping an attitude. It's not an attitude. We just believe in each other."
Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #284
Kodos
Resident Alien

The growing trend of players guaranteeing wins is getting really old.

I know that the Lakers benefited from getting the most fouls called on their opponents during the regular season. I guess they assumed that it'd stay that way in the playoffs, even if they just shot jumpers all day (outside of Shaq).

Finish 'em on Tuesday, boys! The whole world is rooting for you!!!

Last edited by Kodos : 06-14-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #285
MrBug708
Head Coach

Who woulda thought that a team that thrived on getting to the FT line playing against a team known for tough defense would see the tough defensive team getting to the line at an astonishing rate compared to the Lakers. Usually the tougher D teams tend to foul a lot.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #286
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Now you guys know how Lakers fans feel about hearing everyone bitch about the Lakers getting calls the last few years.

Then again, I'm sure you guys will say the Lakers DID get the calls...

Oh, cmon. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that game #6 against the Kings a couple of years ago wasn't one of the top 5 most ridiculous reffed games in the history of professional sports? Or the Timberwolves game a year ago when the cameras caught 5+ instances in the fourth quarter where T-Wolve players were called for fouls when they were half a foot away from TOUCHING the Laker player.

Or even game 6 of the T-Wolve series this year, when Shaq has 5 fouls, the ref walks to the scorers table and asks how many Shaq has. Shaq proceeds to shove every T-Pup within a ten foot radius of him for the next five minutes of the game without a call.

In fact, that may have hurt the Lakers more than anything I can ever remember. The other games caused outrage, but it was easy for Stern and the league to wipe them off as just some missed calls. When the dumb ass ref walks asks the question on national television, it forced the league to go into spin control of the highest level. There was ZERO quality explanation for the ref asking that question, no matter how much he tried to explain it away.

Is it really shocking then that we see a team over the course of an entire series get more calls than the Lakers for the first time in recorded history? I don't think so.

And no, it isn't just the Lakers or Laker bashing. The Bulls got away with it too. The NBA has been a "superstar" league for 15+ years now. The superstars get away with murder. It's a big reason there have been so few upsets in the history of the league when it comes to finals play. The team with the most stars wins, not only because they are great players, but because they get 10x the reffing decisions that the team without the stars does.

This is rewriting history. I watched the final 5 minutes of the last Pistons/Lakers game and was shocked to see how few calls the Lakers were getting. There were even multiple times I turned to my friend and said "That was a poor call, the Lakers didn't foul there" or "Wow, I thought Shaq was hacked that time" Clearly, it's changed for a series.

Oh, and no, I'm not saying the Lakers or Bulls "only" won because of the officiating in the past, anymore than the Pistons are winning this series for that reason. It certainly didn't hurt them though.

One last thing, from a Denver perspective, this series has reminded me a lot of the Broncos/Packers Super Bowl matchup in '97. The Packers showed up expecting Denver and the JV AFC League to fold over. When you watch highlights of the game, look at the Denver sideline and compare it to the Packer sideline. It's amazing how BADLY Denver wanted the game and how non chalant the Packers look through the first three+ quarters. From watching highlights of this series and the final 5 of the game the other night, that's the thing that's stuck out to me. The Pistons want this thing more than anything in the world. The Lakers aren't even close to thier energy level. Not even on the same planet in comparison.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #287
MrBug708
Head Coach

So it's the Lakers fault for getting calls and for not getting calls? That makes no sense. You basically are saying we have no right to bitch about calls, yet the opposing team can bitch in both cases?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:59 PM   #288
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who woulda thought that a team that thrived on getting to the FT line playing against a team known for tough defense would see the tough defensive team getting to the line at an astonishing rate compared to the Lakers. Usually the tougher D teams tend to foul a lot.

Not really, a team that plays good defense can put itself in position to not have to foul as much as one that is scrambling. There is a difference between good defense and scrambling defense.

Add the fact that Kobe was taking ill advised jumpers all game and that will cut down on the number of fouls drastically. The Pistons have been doing a great job of getting Shaq out of position on the floor and then being able to drive another player into the area where they end up getting fouled out of desperation, which will raise the foul total right there.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #289
JeffNights
College Prospect

Simply put, when you dribble-Drive to the basket, players reach, they commit blocking fouls.... and scrambling defense is out of position defense all this makes you commit fouls.

Then when you take ill-advised long jumpshots...well who would foul you then??

look at shot selection and also the style of play.

ANOTHER THING...i didnt hear minnesota coach flip sunders WHINING about the 91-46 foul adavtage the LAKERS had over TWOLVES through three games.

GET OVER IT.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #290
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hit a soft spot did I?

What was the advantage the other 3 games?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #291
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So it's the Lakers fault for getting calls and for not getting calls? That makes no sense. You basically are saying we have no right to bitch about calls, yet the opposing team can bitch in both cases?

No Bug, you can complain about the calls if you like. You may even have a point in some cases here. If the five minute span of the fourth I watched last game was any indication, I think the Pistons are getting some officiating breaks. I've never wanted the Lakers to get "no" calls. I've just wanted them to get the same calls everyone else gets. (just as I wish EVERY team got the same reffed game)

The problem, Bug, is the fact the Lakers have benefited from the officiating too many times to count in the past 4 to 5 years. You aren't going to find a lot of sympathetic fans to your side because most (not all) Laker fans have never acknowledged that they've gotten some major breaks with officiating decisions. It's always been, "we deserved those 25 free throws in the fourth quarter of game 6, because we're the Lakers. . . it's your team's idiotic fault they couldn't hold onto a 20+ point lead" I've watched teams outhustle the Lakers multiple times in the past few years and still have the Lake show get the calls. (Even this year in the regular season I watched the Nuggets outplay the Lakers for the entire game, only to have the refs simply rip the game away in the closing minutes, capped off by a non existent 24 second violation and the worst jump ball toss in the history of basketball)

Well, payback is a bitch and it's rarely fair. I hope Lakers fans, along with NBA fans all across the nation do sit up and complain about a league wide system of officiating that needs a complete overhaul. Problem is, if the Lakers get 65 foul shots a game over the next 3 games, you'll just revert back to your old form.

As for me, I'm already starting to see Melo get away with far more than he deserves. Add another great player or two in free agency, it'll be "my" team getting the breaks more often. I'll be happy when it's evened out at 50/50. . . when the inevitable happens and the Nuggets start getting a majority of the calls, it'll turn my stomach every bit as much as it does when I watch a Laker game now. ***sigh*** To think baseball used to be my favorite sport, with basketball a close second. . . it's now football, hockey and text based gaming for the rest.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #292
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think the Lakers got screwed on the fouls called on them. I think they've been correctly called for the most part with a few poor calls, but still calls none the less. I think the biggest thing is the lack of non calls that has hurt the Lakers. In the first quarter alone, there were about 5-6 obvious calls where Kobe has gone up for a layup and has been hit, almost Hack-a-shaqesque. Granted the Pistons are going to get the more favorable calls, but you said it yourself, where are all of the "superstar" calls? Most of the misses were pretty obvious. You can say that I'm finally getting what the rest of the league has had to deal with, but I've never liked NBA officiating myself. (The PAC-10 is a whole lot worse)

*shrugs* If the Lakers don't win, it's quite the upset. But I'll deal with it and move onto the Dodgers. That's the beauty of LA. Some team is always winning
Old 06-14-2004, 11:11 PM   #293
druez
Banned

Quote:
I dont think the Lakers got screwed on the fouls called on them. I think they've been correctly called for the most part with a few poor calls, but still calls none the less. I think the biggest thing is the lack of non calls that has hurt the Lakers. In the first quarter alone, there were about 5-6 obvious calls where Kobe has gone up for a layup and has been hit, almost Hack-a-shaqesque. Granted the Pistons are going to get the more favorable calls, but you said it yourself, where are all of the "superstar" calls? Most of the misses were pretty obvious. You can say that I'm finally getting what the rest of the league has had to deal with, but I've never liked NBA officiating myself. (The PAC-10 is a whole lot worse)

*shrugs* If the Lakers don't win, it's quite the upset. But I'll deal with it and move onto the Dodgers. That's the beauty of LA. Some team is always winning

How is your NFL team doing?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:13 PM   #294
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
ANOTHER THING...i didnt hear minnesota coach flip sunders WHINING about the 91-46 foul adavtage the LAKERS had over TWOLVES through three games.
I'm going to add a few comments and get out before I go nuts here.

I guess you should have actually watched the series and listened to the post game quotes. Flip sent the league a videotape in which he says he counted 30 something additional uncalled fouls on the Lakers. He did it, just like most coaches do it.

Troy,

We've gone back and forth on this a number of times. Heres my problem. Yes, the Lakers have benefitted from calls in the past. I've tried to stay away from this thread on purpose and not mention the foul disparity for this reason alone. It seems to me though, that now that it "may" be the Lakers on the short end of the stick, everyones all for the way the games have been called. And if you constantly refer back to Game 6 of the Sacramento series as justification arent you saying at this point that you accept it?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #295
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Non calls are every bit as horrible as bad foul calls and in many cases are worse. Shaq pushing two Timberwolve players aside and getting a dunk out of what should have been an offensive foul call hurts the T-Wolves far more than if they'd have a bad call against them. Non calls can change the momentum of a game. I remember a play in the T-Wolve series where Hoiberg drove down the lane and Shaq crushed him. . . Shaq didn't go straight up, he jumped into Hoiberg to block the shot. No call. While Hoiberg is down on the ground in pain, the Lakers finish off an easy layup and proceed to go on a 8-0 run.

That changed the outcome of the game more than a phantom foul call on Kobe ever could have.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:24 PM   #296
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Troy,

We've gone back and forth on this a number of times. Heres my problem. Yes, the Lakers have benefitted from calls in the past. I've tried to stay away from this thread on purpose and not mention the foul disparity for this reason alone. It seems to me though, that now that it "may" be the Lakers on the short end of the stick, everyones all for the way the games have been called. And if you constantly refer back to Game 6 of the Sacramento series as justification arent you saying at this point that you accept it?

You need to reread my post.

I've never wanted the Lakers to get "no" calls. I've just wanted them to get the same calls everyone else gets. (just as I wish EVERY team got the same reffed game)

I went on to say that the reason they won't get many sympathetic fans is because of how many breaks they've had over the last few seasons. I don't think it's right, no. I want to see a fairly officiated game everytime out. It's inevitable there will be some mistakes, but 98% of the time, I don't want the refs to be an issue. I don't want to see it happen against the Lakers nor for the Lakers.

If the officiating is poor, I hope the Laker fans do complain about it. I just hope they remember that the next time the Lake show gets handed a game on a silver platter because the zebras decide they are getting every call.

I don't want to see my favorite team get every call and I don't want to see my most hated team (which, by the way, is not the Lakers) get no calls. Either way, it cheapens the game. Either way, it aint right.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:30 PM   #297
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I don't want to see my favorite team get every call and I don't want to see my most hated team (which, by the way, is not the Lakers) get no calls. Either way, it cheapens the game. Either way, it aint right.
Unfortunately, this doesnt seem to be the NBA these days (and I'm going back to all of those Lakers games you talk about). I dont remember any of these issues with the Lakers of the 80's or the Celtics.

The bigger issue at this point is... if the Lakers arent your most hated team, I'd hate to see how you talk about the most hated team.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #298
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Unfortunately, this doesnt seem to be the NBA these days (and I'm going back to all of those Lakers games you talk about). I dont remember any of these issues with the Lakers of the 80's or the Celtics.

The bigger issue at this point is... if the Lakers arent your most hated team, I'd hate to see how you talk about the most hated team.

They weren't the issues back then, because the stars got away with "SOME" calls, but didn't get away with murder either. Think of all the great shots Magic and Bird hit, how many times did they push off? It rarely happened. Shooting and athliticism won games before the Pistons took that away from us for good. I've said it before, but the biggest change in the NBA now to then is the type of defense being played.

It used to be a positional game. The Pistons came along and fouled every possession knowing the refs couldn't call em all. Quickly, they were copied. As the expansion happened and you got an influx of players that couldn't shoot, it switched. It's now a game of STRENGTH, not athleticism or position. You can run down, get PERFECT post position on a big man, and simply be pushed 15 feet out. It used to be that once you were set, you had the right to the spot on the floor. Now it's a game for body builders. I can't imagine how a guy like Kevin McHale, even with his array of low post wizardry would be able to play in today's game. He'd have been pushed off the blocks and would never have had a chance to use those moves.

Oh, and my most hated team. . . The Jazz. If the NBA ever starts fining guys for flopping or faking calls, the Jazz would take care of 90% of the pension fund with their fine money every season.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:04 AM   #299
Fouts
College Starter

Lakers in 7!
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:06 AM   #300
Fouts
College Starter

Just trying to break up the circle jerk, anti-Lakers, Pistons bandwagon love-athon!! Carry on with your drubbing of the Lakers, while Kobe and Shaq count their rings.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote