Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #251
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Regarding Washington Redskins name change, ‘never’ may be sooner than anyone thought - The Washington Post
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #252
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I don't see changing the name as any great loss. It may end up being a financial windfall for the NFL as they get to sell all-new merchandise.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #253
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This is a good opportunity to name them something like the Washington Gridlock or Washington Lobbyists or Washington Thieves.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #254
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'll tell you, the name of Washington's football team could be the star of a show called "Names I Don't Care About."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #255
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This is not at all surprising. I have no doubt Raiola said exactly what they claim he said. He's a loud-mouthed hot-head. He's gotten in trouble for yelling obscenities to Lions fans and all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Interesting that the band was from his brother's alma mater.

Raiola has come out and admitted he said what he said, because, well, of course he did. He has apologized and made a sizeable donation to the Wisconsin band.

So, all's well that ends well!

I am sure his brother is very happy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #256
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Saw it on twitter, but ATL needs to trade Gonzalez to KC stat

That won't happen. They don't need to introduce him into the locker room. He's a great player, but he had some locker room issues towards the end of his time in KC. When you're 5-0, leave it alone.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #257
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Yeah I'm sure they'd be hesitant to replace their sterling production at TE with a Hall of Famer who at one point was the franchise because he bitched when they sucked.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #258
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure they'd be hesitant to replace their sterling production at TE with a Hall of Famer who at one point was the franchise because he bitched when they sucked.

At one point. That was a few years ago. Is he more talented than anything we currently have? Probably. Would adding him to the roster improve our team? Maybe.

I've seen multiple articles today with the same opinion of what I just mentioned. I'm not the only one who thinks that. I'm sure Tony will start bitching because the Falcons suck any time now if previous situations hold true.

FWIW......Sean McGrath has provided a huge boost to this team at TE. Very good pass catcher thus far and he's been a tremendous blocker, something that Tony wasn't always that good at.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #259
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Is he more talented than anything we currently have? Probably. Would adding him to the roster improve our team? Maybe.

Of all the MBBF things you've ever posted, this is the most MBBF.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #260
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

hahahaha. But can Gonzo handle the crowd noise?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #261
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Of all the MBBF things you've ever posted, this is the most MBBF.

Yeah, team chemistry is overrated.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #262
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
At one point. That was a few years ago. Is he more talented than anything we currently have? Probably. Would adding him to the roster improve our team? Maybe.

I've seen multiple articles today with the same opinion of what I just mentioned. I'm not the only one who thinks that. I'm sure Tony will start bitching because the Falcons suck any time now if previous situations hold true.

FWIW......Sean McGrath has provided a huge boost to this team at TE. Very good pass catcher thus far and he's been a tremendous blocker, something that Tony wasn't always that good at.

On some level, I really love whatever passion drives one believe that their team would be better off, just as good, or maybe slightly, but just slightly, not as good, with Sean McGrath at TE than Tony Gonzales.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #263
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yeah, team chemistry is overrated.

Yes, team chemistry is a good thing to have, but let's be realistic here. Gonzalez left the Chiefs five years ago. The Chiefs have an entirely new management team, an entirely new coaching staff and, I assume, there has been significant turnover in terms of the roster. I would have to imagine that whatever friction there was between Gonzalez and the Chiefs back in 2008 is largely, if not entirely, gone.

Unless, of course, it was the unbearable crowd noise.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #264
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
On some level, I really love whatever passion drives one believe that their team would be better off, just as good, or maybe slightly, but just slightly, not as good, with Sean McGrath at TE than Tony Gonzales.

That's not what I said. There's no question that Gonzales is more talented than Sean McGrath (though it should be noted that he's a third stringer, not our starter). I'm a firm believer that team chemistry is very important and if it wasn't, all you'd have to do is get the best players and you'd always win.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #265
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Everyone on the Chiefs would be so fucking dejected that they got Tony Gonzalez they would start sucking. It's blatantly obvious.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, team chemistry is a good thing to have, but let's be realistic here. Gonzalez left the Chiefs five years ago. The Chiefs have an entirely new management team, an entirely new coaching staff and, I assume, there has been significant turnover in terms of the roster. I would have to imagine that whatever friction there was between Gonzalez and the Chiefs back in 2008 is largely, if not entirely, gone.

Unless, of course, it was the unbearable crowd noise.

I'm not going to turn down Gonzalez coming back, but I don't think it's in the best interest of the team to do so. Tony is a good player who can be pretty self-serving at times.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Everyone on the Chiefs would be so fucking dejected that they got Tony Gonzalez they would start sucking. It's blatantly obvious.

I'll take that as a white flag and move on to other discussion.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #268
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
I've seen multiple articles today with the same opinion of what I just mentioned. I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Unsurprisingly the people you read hold stupid views.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #269
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
When you're 5-0, leave it alone.

Yep, when you struggle to put away a Ryan Fitzpatrick-led offense and the rest of your success is based on running through the worst division in football and a terrible Jax squad, you must leave things alone.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #270
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not what I said. There's no question that Gonzales is more talented than Sean McGrath (though it should be noted that he's a third stringer, not our starter). I'm a firm believer that team chemistry is very important and if it wasn't, all you'd have to do is get the best players and you'd always win.

So you're saying you're better off with a third-string TE than a Hall of Fame TE?

Gotcha.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #271
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wow...

I know that Detroit and Cleveland fans like to compete to see who has the most sympathetic fans, but as a life long Falcons fan, I just wonder if they'll ever win a championship.

I know people say that I should be happy that the Falcons have a good young team to be excited about for years to come, but honestly I don't see it. All they do is every few years they get just good enough to get my hopes up so they can find a brand new way to crush my dreams.

I saw a stat like 2 months ago that of the 4 major sports, Atlanta has had 159 seasons combined between their teams and only have 1 championship to show for it. On their list the only cities that came close was Seattle who had 1 championship for 115 seasons, San Diego who had 1 for 107 seasons and Phoenix who had 1 championship for 101 seasons.

Some days I honestly wonder if I would be happier just giving up sports. Yesterday the Braves were eliminated from the playoffs once again and pretty much any hopes of the Falcons season went down the tubes.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #272
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yep, when you struggle to put away a Ryan Fitzpatrick-led offense and the rest of your success is based on running through the worst division in football and a terrible Jax squad, you must leave things alone.

Around here, we call that Marty-ball. It started as a good thing, became a bad word towards the end of his tenure. Now we see more Marty-ball and it's suddenly a good thing again. Funny how that works.

As for the schedule, we earned it by our play last year. Get in the playoffs and rely on your stellar defense. It worked pretty well last year.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #273
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
So you're saying you're better off with a third-string TE than a Hall of Fame TE?

Gotcha.

All things being equal, you're correct. But all things are not equal in this instance.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #274
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All things being equal, you're correct. But all things are not equal in this instance.

So you must have a young Pro Bowl pass-catching TE already on the roster then?

(I'm asking honestly, I couldn't tell you who aside from Jamal Charles is on the Chiefs roster these days).
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #275
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So your big argument against bringing Gonzo back revolves around not even your starter or backup TE but your third string TE? Haha you crack me up, MBBF.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #276
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm a firm believer that team chemistry is very important and if it wasn't, all you'd have to do is get the best players and you'd always win.

I'll take a team full of the best players over a team full of glue guys any day of the week and 3 times on Sunday.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #277
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So your big argument against bringing Gonzo back revolves around not even your starter or backup TE but your third string TE? Haha you crack me up, MBBF.

Well, as we've come to find out due to our top two TE's going down, we have a much better player at our third string TE position than we previously thought. I realize most posters who are responding haven't seen the Chiefs play yet, but McGrath has been an amazing find. He's been very good since taking over the starter role and may keep that role even when the other TE's come back.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #278
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
You could see the Pittsburgh decline coming, though I am not sure anyone quite expected it to hit this fast.

This is a good point. It's not surprising that Pittsburgh is underperorming this year. It IS surprising how terrible they are and how quickly they got there.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #279
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Count me as someone whose not sure it's a good idea to bring Gonzalez back. There's no telling the impact it could have on the locker room.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #280
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's like they would be bringing in Terrell Owens or something!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #281
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, as we've come to find out due to our top two TE's going down, we have a much better player at our third string TE position than we previously thought. I realize most posters who are responding haven't seen the Chiefs play yet, but McGrath has been an amazing find. He's been very good since taking over the starter role and may keep that role even when the other TE's come back.

The only Chiefs game I have seen was that Thursday night game against the Eagles. Was McGarth the guy rocking that massive hipster beard?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #282
chadritt
High School Varsity

How weak is your locker room that adding a hall of famer, even if he might be the worlds biggest jackass, could make everyone stop trying so hard to win?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #283
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The only Chiefs game I have seen was that Thursday night game against the Eagles. Was McGarth the guy rocking that massive hipster beard?

Yes. Fans have taken to calling him 'The Bearded One'.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #284
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Around here, we call that Marty-ball. It started as a good thing, became a bad word towards the end of his tenure. Now we see more Marty-ball and it's suddenly a good thing again. Funny how that works.

As for the schedule, we earned it by our play last year. Get in the playoffs and rely on your stellar defense. It worked pretty well last year.
"Marty-ball" became a derisive term because it meant you were going 13-3 and then losing at home in the playoffs... which actually seems like a really likely scenario for the Chiefs.

And because I can't resist piling on, are you bragging about the Chiefs underachieving their talent level last season? (If you are, good job "earning" the right to play the desultory NFC East and the 2 worst NFC South teams first this year.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #285
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Bring back October Gonzalez!
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #286
Danny
Head Coach

Someone like Gonzalez would be fantastic for a QB like Alex Smith.

Tony G is a great team player. And really the Chief are 4-0, whoopity do, Gonzo gives them a weapon who makes them a stronger team for a possible superbowl.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #287
Danny
Head Coach

Oh and Julio Jones out for the year most likely, Falcons officially done.

Real sucky to see a player like Jones go down and it could be chronic issue

Last edited by Danny : 10-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #288
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Despite how bad the Giants have been you have to say Atlanta is the biggest disappointment

Houston and Washington have both performed below my expectations this year, but I think Atlanta has to take the cake.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #289
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just a reminder that the PBS Frontline documentary: League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis, airs tonight. Don't know if the schedule is the same everywhere, but in metro Detroit it airs at 9PM and midnight.

This is the documentary that ESPN was originally apart of, but bailed in August out of after the NFL reportedly put pressure on them.

‘League of Denial’ Looks at N.F.L. and Concussions - NYTimes.com
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #290
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I can't really say that the Falcons play is that surprising. I believe they were something like 7-2 last year in games decided by a touchdown or less. That normally regresses towards the mean. Couple that with a pythagorean wins total of just over 9 and they clearly over-achieved last year by 3-4 wins.

Unfortunately for them, that luck has swung completely the other way this year, going 1-4 in games decided by a touchdown or less while being outscored by only 12 points.

They had the ball within the 5 yard line in the final seconds against the Saints and within the 10 in the final seconds against the Pats. Last night they lost on a last second field goal (although admittedly were behind most of the game regardless).

They could easily be 4-1, if not 5-0. Unfortunately for them, a team that had a lot of luck on their side last season in regards to injuries, bounces, calls going their way, etc. has had very little this year.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #291
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Someone like Gonzalez would be fantastic for a QB like Alex Smith.

Tony G is a great team player. And really the Chief are 4-0, whoopity do, Gonzo gives them a weapon who makes them a stronger team for a possible superbowl.

Did the NFL take away a win? How'd we get back to 4-0 after going 5-0 on Sunday?

Not sure where you got that Tony is a great team player. He's a great player who's had a great career, but rarely has been considered a great team player.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #292
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Did the NFL take away a win? How'd we get back to 4-0 after going 5-0 on Sunday?

Not sure where you got that Tony is a great team player. He's a great player who's had a great career, but rarely has been considered a great team player.

I've never heard anything about him being a bad teammate? If you're not a bad teamate I think you are a good one
Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I've never heard anything about him being a bad teammate? If you're not a bad teamate I think you are a good one

From an article today written by the guy who was the Chiefs' beat writer during Tony's time on the team.......

Quote:
"The biggest concern for the Chiefs should be their locker room and what introducing a player of Gonzalez’s stature would do. Toward the end of his time with the Chiefs, Gonzalez was more interested in personal goals than winning. The Chiefs have some great chemistry, and they need to be wary of everything before introducing a foreign element into their locker room. The only way a Gonzalez trade works for them is if he won’t pout if he doesn’t get the ball."

As soon as Tony started seeing the ball less in KC, Tony could be seen on the sidelines with visibly bad body language. He's been all about stats as opposed to the team for some time now. That doesn't make him a bad guy by any means, but it's the last guy you'd want to introduce into a team that seems to have excellent cohesion and selfless team play.

Jay Glazer spoke with Tony today and he said he has no interest in doing anything other than finishing his career at Atlanta. We'll take Tony at his word and assume that he'll do so and then will go into the HOF as a Chief in 5 years.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #294
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

If the team I played on went 6-26 the last two years I was there, I would probably be a pretty shitty teammate as well. Don't know why he would be complaining about seeing the ball less, considering his last two years in KC were his best back to back seasons of his career.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #295
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Just a reminder that the PBS Frontline documentary: League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis, airs tonight. Don't know if the schedule is the same everywhere, but in metro Detroit it airs at 9PM and midnight.

This is the documentary that ESPN was originally apart of, but bailed in August out of after the NFL reportedly put pressure on them.

After watching the film, I'm not at all surprised that the NFL would pressure ESPN. They have no interest in seeing anything that could remotely damage the shield being publicized. There are certainly arguments that can be made about the scientific findings of the McKee group at Boston University, but the NFL comes off as ridiculously arrogant in its desire to make sure that any brains from former players go only to scientists who they deem fit to have them. It seems to be just another instance of the NFL's hubris.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #296
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

My Mom watched it and called to tell me to turn it on. I was recording it anyway but the first thing she said was that if she had known this stuff, she never would have let me play.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #297
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
From an article today written by the guy who was the Chiefs' beat writer during Tony's time on the team.......

As soon as Tony started seeing the ball less in KC, Tony could be seen on the sidelines with visibly bad body language. He's been all about stats as opposed to the team for some time now. That doesn't make him a bad guy by any means, but it's the last guy you'd want to introduce into a team that seems to have excellent cohesion and selfless team play.

What a crock of shit. You're basing all of this off how he played when he was last in Kansas City in 2008, a team that went 2-14. "All about stats", are you completely high? He was set to retire last year but came back to make one more run at a ring. Do you think his Atlanta teammates were pissed about that? That this guy would just gonna hang around, barely contribute and piggyback off the hard work of others. Or do you think maybe they were happy that an ALL PRO TIGHT END was going to be there to get them over that hump?

The guy draws double teams near the goal line every game. The guy goes over the middle of the field for first down opportunities, all game, every game. In doing so, he allows (allowed) two of the best WRs in football to go nuts downfield and in space, racking up enormous numbers. Yet he's not selfless and is only out for himself.

What a horrendous argument you've attempted, which sure is saying something when referring to you. Go on and enjoy the selfless Mark McGrath or whatever the hell his name is, as well as your overinflated regular season record and sure fire playoff opener exit.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #298
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

I'm still waiting for the players to sue ESPN for their "Jacked Up" segments that were part of the problem...
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What a crock of shit. You're basing all of this off how he played when he was last in Kansas City in 2008, a team that went 2-14. "All about stats", are you completely high? He was set to retire last year but came back to make one more run at a ring. Do you think his Atlanta teammates were pissed about that? That this guy would just gonna hang around, barely contribute and piggyback off the hard work of others. Or do you think maybe they were happy that an ALL PRO TIGHT END was going to be there to get them over that hump?

The guy draws double teams near the goal line every game. The guy goes over the middle of the field for first down opportunities, all game, every game. In doing so, he allows (allowed) two of the best WRs in football to go nuts downfield and in space, racking up enormous numbers. Yet he's not selfless and is only out for himself.

What a horrendous argument you've attempted, which sure is saying something when referring to you. Go on and enjoy the selfless Mark McGrath or whatever the hell his name is, as well as your overinflated regular season record and sure fire playoff opener exit.

See folks. This is what happens when the Giants and Jets aren't so good. NYC implodes.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #300
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
See folks. This is what happens when the Giants and Jets aren't so good. NYC implodes.

Forgiving that I'm a Niner fan, that was a well thought out response that you should be proud of.