Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #251
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Hasek and Lalime have identical .930 save percentages in the playoffs...and Lalime has a better GAA.
Numbers can lie.

For one, Lalime's GAA is one of the most misleading stats in the league. He always played behind an excellent defensive team in Ottawa, and he did it during the dead puck era. So of course his GAA is excellent, and even his save percentage is inflated thanks to the lack of tough second shots he was facing. And keep in mind that a good chunk of his post-season numbers came during his excellent series in 2002 against a Flyer team that was imploding and trying to get its coach fired.

Beyond that, last season was more than an off-year for Lalime -- it was the year that teams figured him out. The knocks against him are numerous: he "plays small", he's a poor puckhandler, and he can be beaten high on either side off the rush. His downfall really started in the New Jersey series in 2003, when the Devils forwards were skilled enough to pick him apart.

What's worse, he's one of those goalies who has a knack for giving up the bad goal. He'll play a great game for 50 minutes, even stand on his head some nights, but when his team is down by a goal and pressing he'll break their backs by giving up a softie. Eventually his Ottawa teammates had just stopped trusting him.

The good news for Blues fans is that he's still a good goalie (not great, but good) and he came cheap. He's still young (most goalies don't hit their prime until they're over 30) and a change of scenery could do wonders for him.

So in summary, it's a good gamble by the Blues and the price was right. But he's far from an elite goalie and expectations of him should be kept reasonable.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #252
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't think he's an elite goalie either. but I still think he's a pretty darn good one, and better, at this point, than Hasek.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:08 AM   #253
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think he's an elite goalie either. but I still think he's a pretty darn good one, and better, at this point, than Hasek.
There's really no way to say whether he's better than Hasek, given that Hasek has only played 14 games in two years. But if I'm a team with Stanley Cup hopes this year, there's no doubt in my mind that I want Hasek in net, not Lalime.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:27 AM   #254
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
There's really no way to say whether he's better than Hasek, given that Hasek has only played 14 games in two years. But if I'm a team with Stanley Cup hopes this year, there's no doubt in my mind that I want Hasek in net, not Lalime.

I'd rather have Cujo than either of them.
*ducks*

seriously, I can't argue with the Sens dumping Lalime - even though I think he's a good goalie, there was enough doubt among players/fans that this was necessary (granted, I would think they could have done better than a 4th rounder, but it's hard when everyone in the league knows the guy's going to get traded).

I just don't really think that Hasek is the answer. He's old, and he hasn't played much lately. Personally, I thought that even in his Cup year, his play in the postseason was pretty uneven (6 shutoust and 5 4+ goal games). At best, he's prone to injury (or, worse, prone to faking injuries). And, although you certainly don't look to goalies to resolve clubhouse issues (they are the equivalent to heavy metal drummers - flakes), putting this borderline cancer on that fucked up team can't be a benefit (what, Tom Barrasso wasn't available? oh wait, they tried that already).

All I know is, I wouldn't want to see this guy on my team. 3 or 4 years ago? absolutely. Not anymore.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #255
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Nikolai Khabibulin
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #256
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I just don't really think that Hasek is the answer.
I guess the question is: If not Hasek, who? Who's realistically available who would be a better fit?

Kolzig would be, but we don't know what the Caps' asking price is. Belfour would be better if he becomes a FA, but apparently they didn't want to take any chances on that happening.

Other than those two, who could the Sens get that's better than Hasek?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-28-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #257
bbor
Pro Starter

Missing in this is Osgood....is Lalime a step up from him? A 4th rounder for a possible starting goalie is a steal though...in my books anyways.

Interesting thing i heard on the radio this morning......First was Roberts and Nieuwendyk signing with the Panthers...the 2nd rumour is both of them heading to Ottawa...Now that would upset the Leaf nation.

Strachen writes in todays paper that the Leafs and Kariya may be a good fit together too.....

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #258
Coder
College Prospect

Strachan thinks anybody would be a good fit in Toronto.. ;-) He's easily the most biased and erroneous hockey-writer I know of.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:21 PM   #259
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Strachan thinks anybody would be a good fit in Toronto.. ;-) He's easily the most biased and erroneous hockey-writer I know of.
Don't get the Ottawa Sun, do you?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #260
Coder
College Prospect

Nope.. just read SLAM I'm in Sweden you know.

Old 06-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #261
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

I 100% agree.....but this one sorta made sense to me too....this scares me more than anything that i agree with Strachan.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #262
Karim
College Starter

Interesting tid bit from Brian Burke during the draft. He said in last year's draft, he tried to acquire Kiprusoff but he and Wilson could agree on "insurance" (the conditionals attached to the number of games played or lack thereof). Sutter acquired him for a 2nd round draft pick before Christmas. Burke said he's obviously like to have that deal back.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #263
Coder
College Prospect

bbor > I'm wondering if Vancouver wouldn't an interesting alternative for Kariya as well. Naturally it comes down to money, but he's a BC-boy and the Canucks don't know what's going to happen with Bertuzzi.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #264
Karim
College Starter

NHLPA sympathizer, Larry Brooks, mad about Bettman's rejection of proposal but willingness to use portions of it as a measuring stick for GMs in dealing with this year's draft picks...
http://www.nypost.com/sports/23957.htm

Very interesting...
Quote:
Bettman and the league have made it clear to the teams not to expect grandfathering of pre-Sept. 15 contracts into the league's new age. Indeed, as we first reported two full years ago and reconfirmed this weekend, Bettman's plan is to hold a dispersal draft with teams able to protect players who earn up to an aggregate $31M in payroll, with the remainder available to be drafted — and, get this, with the original clubs on the hook for the contracts of both those players selected by other teams and those who might go unclaimed.

Payroll problems for St. Louis and Anaheim... lots of "cap" space for Atlanta...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/
Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 PM   #265
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If Bettman thinks that's fair in any way, shape or form, he's insane.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 PM   #266
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
bbor > I'm wondering if Vancouver wouldn't an interesting alternative for Kariya as well. Naturally it comes down to money, but he's a BC-boy and the Canucks don't know what's going to happen with Bertuzzi.

Canucks would be another logical fit if they can afford it...I have no idea as to what Kariya is worth right now...he had a horrible season last year.Would you pay him 8 mil a year coming off that season?

I think any deal having him come to the Canucks would have to include his brother making the team also

Old 06-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #267
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There's really no way to say whether he's better than Hasek, given that Hasek has only played 14 games in two years.

That is as good a reason as any to say he is better than Hasek. At least he is not a headcase, and has no reputation for bailing on his team. He may have problems, but he sticks around and deals with them instead of leaving the country.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-28-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:37 PM   #268
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

We already knew that though...did'nt we?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #269
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

If there is a "dispersal draft", I will consider walking away from following the NHL indefinitely. That would be taking things to an outrageous extreme. They might as well just fold the entire league and start over.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #270
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

A dispersal draft? Interesting idea -- but just plain nutty unless all the teams have been warned in advance.

I just don't see it working. Right now, today, there is no cap. If the league expects the teams to adhere to a non-existent cap this off-season, that's collusion. The dispersal idea is creative, but it would serve the purpose of instituting the cap right now, and the PA would be all over it. Besides, what about the players who wouldn't be taken in the draft? They just don't get to play anymore?

It seems as if there are only two options, assuming a cap does become reality eventually -- either you grandfather it, or you make all contracts voidable for a limited time to let teams escape bad deals.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:38 PM   #271
Karim
College Starter

Real negotiation won't actually take place until after Sept. 15th. I suspect it's a lot of bravado now, so far away from the deadline and that the final agreement will be a lot different than anyone expects.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:21 PM   #272
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

A dispersal draft would kill my team, as the article suggests, at least at the levels ($31 M) suggested there. So obviously, I'm not a big fan of that.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #273
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
A dispersal draft would kill my team, as the article suggests, at least at the levels ($31 M) suggested there. So obviously, I'm not a big fan of that.

CR

the Rangers would have to fold. They wouldn't even be able to put 20 guys on the ice.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #274
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the Rangers would have to fold. They wouldn't even be able to put 20 guys on the ice.

See? Added bonus.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:29 PM   #275
Karim
College Starter

Chief may be interested in this...

NHL to Investigate Mighty Ducks
AP - New York Visibly hot under the collar, Gary (Never Call Me "Napolean") Bettman, head poobah of the NHL, today issued a statement saying that the Mighty Ducks' actions at the Entry Draft this past Saturday were unprecedented and warrant a full-scale investigation. Citing the fact that the Ducks passed on Lauri Tukonen, Drew Stafford, A.J. Thelen and Marek Schwarz to pick Ladislav Smid, Bettman fumed, "Not even the Rangers could be that damned stupid." In fact, Bettman went on to criticize the Ducks' selection in each round with the exception of the 4th and 5th rounds.***

Bettman also noted that the Ducks were looking to unload Petr Sykora, Ruslan Salei, Vaclav Prospal, the Equipment Manager, the Assistant Equipment Manager and the only National Anthem singer in Southern California who knew ALL the words to both the Canadian and the American National Anthems.
Bettman also felt that the fact that the Ducks re-drafted Tim Brent---after expending a cumulative 45 minutes during the past two years trying to sign him---bolstered his conclusion that something more than typical NHL stupidity was involved.

He then quickly cut to the chase. "It's obvious that the Ducks will be lucky to win 9 games next season, assuming, of course, that the season starts in a timely fashion." (Interestingly, most hockey mavens expect that, after a prolonged work stoppage, there will only be an eleven-game season next year. Obviously, this does not include all the best-of-three playoff series.) "It's clear that the Ducks are trying to position themselves so that they will be in prime position to draft Sidney Crosby in the 2005 Entry Draft."

When asked if he had a response to the Commissioner's comments, Al Coates, the General Manager, Business Manager, Head of Food Sales and Interim Equipment Manager of the Might Ducks, said, "Who's Sidney Crosby?"

***the Ducks had no picks in either the 4th- or the 5th-round
Old 06-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #276
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dallas acquires forward Jaroslav Svoboda from Carolina in exchange
for a fourth round draft pick in 2005

Isn't he that big kid?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #277
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Chief may be interested in this...

NHL to Investigate Mighty Ducks
AP - New York Visibly hot under the collar, Gary (Never Call Me "Napolean") Bettman, head poobah of the NHL, today issued a statement saying that the Mighty Ducks' actions at the Entry Draft this past Saturday were unprecedented and warrant a full-scale investigation. Citing the fact that the Ducks passed on Lauri Tukonen, Drew Stafford, A.J. Thelen and Marek Schwarz to pick Ladislav Smid, Bettman fumed, "Not even the Rangers could be that damned stupid." In fact, Bettman went on to criticize the Ducks' selection in each round with the exception of the 4th and 5th rounds.***

Bettman also noted that the Ducks were looking to unload Petr Sykora, Ruslan Salei, Vaclav Prospal, the Equipment Manager, the Assistant Equipment Manager and the only National Anthem singer in Southern California who knew ALL the words to both the Canadian and the American National Anthems.
Bettman also felt that the fact that the Ducks re-drafted Tim Brent---after expending a cumulative 45 minutes during the past two years trying to sign him---bolstered his conclusion that something more than typical NHL stupidity was involved.

He then quickly cut to the chase. "It's obvious that the Ducks will be lucky to win 9 games next season, assuming, of course, that the season starts in a timely fashion." (Interestingly, most hockey mavens expect that, after a prolonged work stoppage, there will only be an eleven-game season next year. Obviously, this does not include all the best-of-three playoff series.) "It's clear that the Ducks are trying to position themselves so that they will be in prime position to draft Sidney Crosby in the 2005 Entry Draft."

When asked if he had a response to the Commissioner's comments, Al Coates, the General Manager, Business Manager, Head of Food Sales and Interim Equipment Manager of the Might Ducks, said, "Who's Sidney Crosby?"

***the Ducks had no picks in either the 4th- or the 5th-round

lol...what's that from? Snopes?

Interesting theory actually, although I find it hard to believe a team with Jiggy and Federov could finish in last. Besides, they have a lottery now, don't they?

That's pretty funny, though.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #278
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

funny stuff. I've been wondering about Crosby...

1) if there's going to be a season to just tank it, this coming season would be the one. teams thinking about cutting salary in anticipation of a new salary cap, might be incented to cut even further, and get a chance at Crosby.

2) if there's NO season (and I don't think that will happen), does Washington get Crosby? do they do another lottery?

3) is Crosby really as good as they say he is? (sounds like it)
Old 06-29-2004, 06:21 PM   #279
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
lol...what's that from? Snopes?

A frustrated Ducks fan posted it on a Flames message board.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #280
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

I've only seen him at the World Junior Championship and he was very impressive for just turning 16. He was also the youngest player to ever score in the tournament.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #281
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm not really wild about Smid either, but I haven't checked to see who else was available at that point. Was he a reach for the ninth spot?

CR

Old 06-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #282
Simms
FOBL Commish

Crosby's hype is nearly identical in breathlessness to that of Jason Spezza 4-5 years ago. And like Spezza, from everything I've seen, he's very very good.

I would argue that Spezza has already justified his #2 overall selection and will be a very solid NHLer for many years. But he will never be confused for Wayne Gretzky.

My hunch is that Crosby will turn out similarly. He'll go high, ease his way into a first-line role, and be a solid 70-90 point guy for most of his career. Solid, occasionally spectacular, maybe an MVP or two....but he won't be rewriting any record books.

In other words, he'll be a 21st century superstar.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:39 PM   #283
bbor
Pro Starter

Spezzas' skating will hold him back.Now mind you Gretz was never a great skater but back in his day the NHL was a lot slower than now.

Unless Spezza works real hard on his skating/conditioning(from what i hear he is) he will continue to be at the point he is at now.

Crosby is already a better skater than Spezza and i think he will be an over all better player..

IMHO.

Old 06-30-2004, 03:03 AM   #284
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Was Spezza really the most hyped in the last few years? The player I remember with the most hype surrounding him in recent memory was Vinny Lecavalier.

SI

Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 AM   #285
Coder
College Prospect

Spezza was hyped since he was 15. I remember reading about him being drafted by the Missiuaga Icedogs.. and I'm in Sweden .

Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #286
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
funny stuff. I've been wondering about Crosby...

He is without a doubt the best player I've ever seen at his age.

When he was at Shattuck, he was first line center, played PP and PK and he was only a freshmen. I've seen that done in normal HS settings, but not at Shattuck. Shattuck is a top flight private school with a midget hockey program. This kid had the kitchen sink thrown at him when he played there and he just never seem rattled, very composed for his age. If he can keep his feet on the ground he will be a spectacular NHL player.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 AM   #287
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
2) if there's NO season (and I don't think that will happen), does Washington get Crosby? do they do another lottery?
A friend of mine who covers the NHL for a sports network asked them this exact question, and the official answer was "we don't know". I suspect the league has a plan in place, but won't comment publicly since that would amount to an admission that they don't expect there to be a season.

My guess would be another lottery, but keep in mind that if the work stoppage drags on there may not even be a 2005 draft. Drafts are covered in the CBA, so unless one is in place (or the players and owners can reach a separate agreement -- fat chance) there would be no draft.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #288
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
A friend of mine who covers the NHL for a sports network asked them this exact question, and the official answer was "we don't know". I suspect the league has a plan in place, but won't comment publicly since that would amount to an admission that they don't expect there to be a season.

My guess would be another lottery, but keep in mind that if the work stoppage drags on there may not even be a 2005 draft. Drafts are covered in the CBA, so unless one is in place (or the players and owners can reach a separate agreement -- fat chance) there would be no draft.

I also read somewhere that if there was no season, but a CBA was reached prior to the draft, they would keep the same draft order for the most part, but would re-do the lottery. So there may be some changes in the top part of the order.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #289
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

News from Ottawa: the Hasek deal is essentially done and will be announced tomorrow.

But here's some great news for Leaf fans: Matthew Barnaby, the Official Punching Bag of the Toronto Maple Leafs™, is apparently set to sign with the Sens.

That's right. In an effort to get tougher in order to beat Toronto, the Sens are ready to spend their limited free agent money on a guy who has been beaten to a pulp several times by virtually every Leaf player.

The apparent question that rises from these two announcements: Does Muckler know that there are other teams out there than Buffalo? Will anyone without a Sabres connection ever land in Ottawa?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:00 PM   #290
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
News from Ottawa: the Hasek deal is essentially done and will be announced tomorrow.

But here's some great news for Leaf fans: Matthew Barnaby, the Official Punching Bag of the Toronto Maple Leafs™, is apparently set to sign with the Sens.

That's right. In an effort to get tougher in order to beat Toronto, the Sens are ready to spend their limited free agent money on a guy who has been beaten to a pulp several times by virtually every Leaf player.

The apparent question that rises from these two announcements: Does Muckler know that there are other teams out there than Buffalo? Will anyone without a Sabres connection ever land in Ottawa?

Man...if Muckler could land Gil Perrault...Danny Gare...Rick Martin the Sens would be a definate contender

Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #291
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....The Muckler picking up Sabres players reminds me alot of Riccardi picking up all the Oakland A's...and well...we see how that is turning out.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:03 PM   #292
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

3.... 2.... 1.... and free agency is here!

(And in the final hours, the Leafs lockup Roberts, Niewy and Belfour! Woot!)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #293
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A couple of notes of interest about the Hawks. ESPN had them under their "Draft Winners" column, tho the article talks alot more about how they got character players and not how well they could do on the ice except for Barker. But, of course, the Hawks, never a team to have a silver lining without a cloud ("We did it because it's something we could." ?!? I could throw myself off a bridge but that doesn't make it a good idea):

Qualifying offers are two-way
The Blackhawks extended contract qualifying offers to Eric Daze, Jocelyn Thibault and Bryan Berard, but added a two-way stipulation on the vets, where if they were assigned to AHL Norfolk for say injury rehab, they'd receive a minor-league salary, which angered some who cited a lack of respect. Daze (back), Thibault (hip) and Berard (eye) have all been slowed by injuries in recent years. "Of course, it's disappointing," agent Bob Sauve told the Arlington Heights Daily Herald. "I wish it didn't happen, but nothing surprises me anymore in this league." Said general manager Bob Pulford: "We did it because it's something we could. Why not do it? If they're worried about playing in the minors, geez." Sauve indicated his clients Thibault and Daze would rather sign long-term if possible.

SI

Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 AM   #294
bbor
Pro Starter

Nice job by JFJ

Old 07-01-2004, 03:40 AM   #295
Karim
College Starter

Turek gives a big FU to the union. Are you listening Jarome?
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgar...d-546991687586
Old 07-01-2004, 03:42 AM   #296
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Turek gives a big FU to the union. Are you listening Jarome?
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgar...d-546991687586

That's pretty cool and good news for the Flames.

SI

Old 07-01-2004, 04:09 AM   #297
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know this happened a while ago, but this is the most detailed report I've seen.

Poor Uncle Probie... For a while there, he was fantastic. The 87-88 season: 29 goals, 33 assists, 398 PIMs. Not too mention his performance in the playoffs that year: 16 games, 8 goals, 13 assists, 51 PIMs. What a force.

He's been troubled for a long while, but it seems as though he's hit rock bottom.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/04...e01-200669.htm

Probert faces 3 felony charges
Ex-Wing is accused in Florida of battery and resisting officer

How far has former Red Wings player Bob Probert fallen?

When exhausted police in Delray Beach, Fla., finally subdued an enraged Probert with repeated jolts from a Taser gun on June 4, Probert was in his first day on the job as an attendant at a beach club.

All he had with him, according to police reports obtained by The Detroit News, was $37, and a Narcotics Anonymous key chain with a single key.

At the police lockup, Probert punched the cell’s walls and window, stripped and plunged his clothes into the cell’s toilet, the reports say. He told one police officer, “I’m going to get you,” and began chanting “red and white, red and white.”

Police took Probert to the Palm Beach County jail, where he was booked, photographed and fingerprinted.

On Wednesday, the Palm Beach State Attorney’s office formally filed four charges against Probert: battery on a police officer, resisting an officer with violence, threatening a public official (each a felony with a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $5,000 fine) and a misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct.

No trial date has been set. Probert’s attorney, Robert Gentile of Palm Beach, declined to be interviewed. Probert could not be reached. He is free on $5,000 bond.

For much of his 18-year career with the Wings and Chicago Blackhawks, Probert was one of the NHL’s toughest enforcers. But he became known for his off-ice battles with alcohol and cocaine.

In 1989 Probert was convicted of attempting to smuggle a small amount of cocaine across the border between Canada and Detroit, and he served six months in a federal prison in Minnesota. The NHL banned him for life but rescinded that decision late in the 1989-90 season after Probert underwent rehabilitation.

In the summer of 1994, days after he signed as a free agent with the Blackhawks, Probert crashed his motorcycle while under the influence of liquor and was suspended indefinitely by the NHL. He finally was allowed to return for the 1995-96 season.

He retired after the 2001-02 season and, according to the Chicago Tribune, immediately checked into a residential substance-abuse treatment program.

About five months ago, Probert, 39, began living in Delray Beach, Fla., a resort town on the Atlantic Ocean in southern Palm Beach County.

The manager of the Colony Hotel and Cabana Club there said Wednesday that Probert had worked for the hotel’s beach club for exactly one day.

Witness Jamie Bowers told police she went to the Colony Beach Club for a “Full Moon Party” on the night of June 4 and met Probert, who she said seemed very nice. Just after midnight, Probert offered to give her a ride since she had walked to the club from her home a block or two away.

Instead, according to police reports, she, Probert and another partygoer took a detour down Atlantic Avenue, Probert saying he wanted to buy drugs. Probert pulled the white BMW SUV over to the wrong side of the road to talk to some men and was hanging out the window, yelling at them angrily, when a police car drove by, made a U-turn and pulled up behind Probert’s vehicle.

Several bystanders yelled at police that Probert was there trying to buy drugs and to come get him, reports say. Before they could get there, Probert had leaped from his car and started chasing one of the bystanders, trying to fight him.

Police intercepted Probert and said he began to fight them. Officer Thomas Tolbert used an “arm bar take-down” to bring Probert to the ground but was completely ineffective. Tolbert then used “several peronial nerve strikes,” but those didn’t affect Probert, either, the police reports say. Two other officers were helping Tolbert but could not handcuff Probert.

Tolbert drew his M-26 Taser, told the other officers to clear, and fired the two barbs into Probert’s chest. He fell backward on the street and rolled onto his side during the five-second electrical burst. But when officers approached, Probert fought back to his feet. Tolbert gave him “several more touch stun shots,” and finally officers were able to cuff him.

At the lockup, police tried to treat Probert for a cut beside his right eye. But Probert wouldn’t permit it. He said, according to one report, “that he’d been cut plenty of times in his life and did not need to be tended to.”
Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 AM   #298
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Other Wings news. The Wings tied up Draper with a long term deal. They did not come to terms with Devereaux, Shanahan, or Schneider. They are allegedly close with Shanahan, but not with Schneider...

Some interesting names in the Unrestricted Free Agent Pool. It's sad to see LA give up on Deadmarsh and Allison. Together with Palfy, they made a great line. You can't blame the Kings though. The chance that either player will ever really be healthy enough to play consistent hockey again is very unlikely.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:12 AM   #299
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I am on the side of the Blackhawks on those contract offers, but it would mean a lot more if we did not know that they were cheap bastards all around. It would have been nice to see it as a principled stand, instead of the cheapskate move that it really is.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:04 AM   #300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In reference to my previous post about the Ducks, they went ahead and offered qualifying offers to Vitaly Vishnevsky, Ruslan Salei and Rob Neidermayer, and worked out a deal with Andy McDonald. They also tried to work out a multi-year extension with Carney, and when that didn't work out, they picked up his option. They let Jason Krog, Cam Severson and Pete Schastlivy go with no qualifying offers.

So apparently it's not so fast on that fire sale. No way they keep all those players if that were the case. Of course, I'm crossing my fingers on that one.

CR