Coordinator

haha
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #253
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is really cool.

Quote:
Could Osama bin Laden have been found faster if the CIA had followed the advice of ecosystem geographers from the University of California, Los Angeles? Probably not, but the predictions of UCLA geographer Thomas Gillespie, who, along with colleague John Agnew and a class of undergraduates, authored a 2009 paper predicting the terrorist’s whereabouts, were none too shabby. According to a probabilistic model they created, there was an 80.9% chance that bin Laden was hiding out in Abbottabad, Pakistan, where he was killed last night. And they correctly predicted that he would be in a large town, not a cave.

The bin Laden tracking idea began as a project in an undergraduate class on remote sensing that Gillespie, whose expertise is using remote sensing data from satellites to study ecosystems, taught in 2009. Based on information from satellites and other remote sensing systems, and reports on his movements since his last known location, the students created a probabilistic model of where he was likely to be. Their prediction of a town was based on a geographical theory called “island biogeography”: basically, that a species on a large island is much less likely to go extinct following a catastrophic event than a species on a small one.

“The theory was basically that if you’re going to try and survive, you’re going to a region with a low extinction rate: a large town,” Gillespie says. “We hypothesized he wouldn’t be in a small town where people could report on him.”

“It’s not my thing to do this type of [terrorism] stuff,” he says. “But the same theories we use to study endangered birds can be used to do this.”...

The undergraduates did such a nice job on the project, Gillespie says, that he wrote the results up as a paper and submitted it to a small journal, MIT International Review. The next day, he was shocked to find his
inbox full of requests for interviews from everyone from USA Today to Sean Hannity. (He declined the latter.)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #254
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

gameover.jpg
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #255
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is really cool.

It also turns out we could have found him if the CIA had used Google.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #256
Johninja
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I think you could really draw some observations from that image.

Like for instance, look who is at the head of the table. IDK his name, but he looks like a high ranking general. It appears to me he was probably the first in that room as the operation began

I would say the guy in the blue suit is the IT guy but he has way too many medals. Unless they give medals for IT. I got this one in the server crash of '09.....lol

Oh and *%$# Bin laden.

Last edited by Johninja : 05-03-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Johninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #257
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The General in the middle that you are talking about is Brig. Gen. Marshall B. "Brad" Webb

Biographies : BRIGADIER GENERAL MARSHALL B. "BRAD" WEBB

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #258
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

You know, if this was like that CSI or Bones show, then someone would do a zoom in and clear up on that one generals glasses, so we could see the reflection of the movie off them.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #259
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #260
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The General in the middle that you are talking about is Brig. Gen. Marshall B. "Brad" Webb

Biographies : BRIGADIER GENERAL MARSHALL B. "BRAD" WEBB

And CJCS Michael Mullen standing right behind him. I guess if you have more stars you don't get a seat.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #261
Critch
lolzcat

real or fake?

He's looking well for his years on the run, except for the hole in his forehead.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #262
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
real or fake?

He's looking well for his years on the run, except for the hole in his forehead.

Fake, for two reasons:

1. I just happened to have seen the reverse image on another site several hours ago.

2. It doesn't match the description of his wounds from news sources.

Quote:
The senior us official also says the White House received 3 sets of photos yesterday. The photos included:

1. Photos of OBLs body at a hanger after he was brought back to Afghanistan. This is the most recognizable with a clear picture of his face. The picture is gruesome because he has a massive open head wound across both eyes. It’s very bloody and gory.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #263
Rizon
Pro Starter

A "senior US official" was reported as describing the picture as this:
Quote:
Photos of OBLs body at a hanger after he was brought back to Afghanistan. This is the most recognizable with a clear picture of his face. The picture is gruesome because he has a massive open head wound across both eyes. It’s very bloody and gory.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #264
Rizon
Pro Starter

Ksyrup FTW
Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #265
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Here's the original to the fake:

http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...ce9d93181b.jpg
Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #266
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Given that the General is the only not looking at the screen I assume he is receiving all the feeds and putting up the most relevant on the big screen. Not necessarily an act of subordination by Obama
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #267
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was just thinking that if we had a few bouncing smilies going on in this thread, it would resemble an Omertà obit

Ha, I had Omertà flashbacks when I saw the Rot in Hell newspaper cover on whatever NY paper it was that had it.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #268
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Given that the General is the only not looking at the screen I assume he is receiving all the feeds and putting up the most relevant on the big screen. Not necessarily an act of subordination by Obama

I've worked for a couple of bosses who would have demanded the biggest chair at the table no matter who was doing what.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #269
molson
General Manager

White House is now saying Osama was not armed, but that he did resist. Karate? Jedi Mind Tricks?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #270
JediKooter
Coordinator

Guess he should have armed himself...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #271
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reports of a huge explosion in Kabul, believed to be at the U.S Embassy. I'm just seeing Real Time updates on Google, but I don't see it on CNN or anything yet.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 05-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #272
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reports Of Huge Explosion In Kabul

Quote:
Gregory White | May 3, 2011, 3:55 PM | 1,486 | comment

The latest: The International Security Assistance Force (led by NATO) has confirmed the explosion, but not any details on the explosion.

From BNO News:

"We have a report of an explosion in Kabul. We are currently checking with our Afghan partners for more information," an ISAF spokesperson said, without providing more details.

The latest report on the ground, from Wall Street Journal correspondent Dion Nissenbaum, is that the explosion hit west of the ISAF and U.S. Embassy, according to the ISAF.

There are reports from journalists on the ground in Afghanistan that a huge explosion has been heard in Kabul.

No confirmation yet on the explosion, or where it has happened. Jonathan Boone, a journalist writing for The Guardian, has received a phone call suggesting the explosion was at the U.S. embassy, but that's yet to have been confirmed.

More to follow...
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #273
Rizon
Pro Starter

hxxp://www.businessinsider.com/kabul-explosion-us-embassy-rumor-2011-5

Quote:
Gregory White | May 3, 2011, 3:55 PM | 1,588 | comment

A A A

Afghanistan war

Image: wikipedia
See Also:
Apache helicopter
Politics In 60 Seconds: What You Need To Know Right Now
Demonstrators in Lahore, Pakistan
US-Pakistan Relations Reach Their Nadir
Afghanistan war

The latest: The International Security Assistance Force (led by NATO) has confirmed the explosion, but not any details on the explosion.

From BNO News:

"We have a report of an explosion in Kabul. We are currently checking with our Afghan partners for more information," an ISAF spokesperson said, without providing more details.

The latest report on the ground, from Wall Street Journal correspondent Dion Nissenbaum, is that the explosion hit west of the ISAF and U.S. Embassy, according to the ISAF.

There are reports from journalists on the ground in Afghanistan that a huge explosion has been heard in Kabul.

No confirmation yet on the explosion, or where it has happened. Jonathan Boone, a journalist writing for The Guardian, has received a phone call suggesting the explosion was at the U.S. embassy, but that's yet to have been confirmed.

More to follow...

A Twitter feed had a guy drive by the US Embassy and it was ok.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #274
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yeah looks like it was relatively near the Embassy but the Embassy is fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #275
Rizon
Pro Starter

DeTox and Kysrup have both beat me to the punch today. I feel like Michael Spinks.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #276
JediKooter
Coordinator

Do you at least still have your teefus? Or is that Leon?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Now that I see the source, I certainly have my doubts about it since their "journalism" during this has been notably bad. Their original "story" about the weapons likely to have been used during the raid was comically bad.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #278
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

just checking to see if franklinnoble was trolling fofc as hard as FB
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #279
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just for the record: Glen Beck is a moron.

Just want to see what he was saying, and he is making the arguement we shouldn't have killed him. Seriously. If Obama cured cancer, Beck would argue that we really need cancer, and Obama is pushing a communist agenda by curing it. A moron.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #280
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
White House is now saying Osama was not armed, but that he did resist. Karate? Jedi Mind Tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Guess he should have armed himself...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg unset.jpg (41.7 KB, 222 views)
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #281
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I was trying to remember where that line was from. Thanks
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #282
Johninja
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

Pretty much what i was trying to say
Johninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #283
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Just for the record: Glen Beck is a moron.

Just want to see what he was saying, and he is making the arguement we shouldn't have killed him. Seriously. If Obama cured cancer, Beck would argue that we really need cancer, and Obama is pushing a communist agenda by curing it. A moron.

+1
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #284
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

On the news, they keep talking about how his compound was "near here" and "next to this" and everyone's going "How could they not have known!?"

But then I look at this (lol at the marker), and see it's in "a corner" essentially, more of a rural-like area of the town, well out of the way from anything that would be like a high traffic area. If he never left the compound, I could easily see how he could have hid there for years without being noticed.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #285
larrymcg421
Head Coach

From what I've read, they've known about the compound for a long time and have been watching, but there was no evidence at all that Bin Laden was there until they tracked the courier.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #286
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

I love that people are now writing reviews for the location. However, three stars is pretty high for a place with no internet access. That would be the biggest turn off for me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #287
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
From what I've read, they've known about the compound for a long time and have been watching, but there was no evidence at all that Bin Laden was there until they tracked the courier.

The implication that I keep hearing (from many places) is that the Pakistan government must have known that Osama bin Laden was there because of how close it is to the Pakistan's version of West Point when it's really not close to that or anything else.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #288
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
On the news, they keep talking about how his compound was "near here" and "next to this" and everyone's going "How could they not have known!?"

But then I look at this (lol at the marker), and see it's in "a corner" essentially, more of a rural-like area of the town, well out of the way from anything that would be like a high traffic area. If he never left the compound, I could easily see how he could have hid there for years without being noticed.

I like how it was referred to as a "mansion". It's a frickin shack. Saw video of the inside today at lunch and it looks like an abandoned backyard shed inside. Maybe it's a mansion in Pakistan.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #289
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I like how it was referred to as a "mansion". It's a frickin shack. Saw video of the inside today at lunch and it looks like an abandoned backyard shed inside. Maybe it's a mansion in Pakistan.

Haven't heard mansion, but have seen it described as "luxurious" more than once. Why, because it had curtains?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #290
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Haven't heard mansion, but have seen it described as "luxurious" more than once. Why, because it had curtains?

It was definitely described as a mansion in the news reports on Sunday night.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #291
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #292
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I love that people are now writing reviews for the location. However, three stars is pretty high for a place with no internet access. That would be the biggest turn off for me.

My favorite part is that the main picture for it is the Bluth model home from Arrested Development.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #293
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

Perfect! I'm glad someone got it.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW (which ain't much since I've covered a good bit of this here already), the blog is updated with my thoughts on various parts of this story. Hopefully more organized than my drive-thru posts here, even if it may not be any more agreeable to some. Still, a few of you are usually kind enough to boost my ego with a click so I'll provide the link in case you're so inclined & aren't on overload.

When the wicked perish … | Jon's Three Cents
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #295
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

And pillows.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #296
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

I'm actually surprised that Osama himself wasn't in that picture.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #297
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I'm actually surprised that Osama himself wasn't in that picture.

No doubt.. by looking at some of the people in the picture, death is not a obstacle.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #298
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Not until Ding Chavez and John Clark showed up to stake out the place.

The ecosystem geography bit from UCLA is cool. That is my field, even though I don't do ecosystem modeling.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Not until Ding Chavez and John Clark showed up to stake out the place.

Score
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #300
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Courier who led U.S. to Osama bin Laden's hideout identified - CNN.com

What has been the reaction in Pakistan (both gov't and citizens), Israel and the rest of the Middle East?

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-03-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote