Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #251
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Eh.. I prefer not to go the illegal or quasi-legal route.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #252
Grover
Pro Starter

If Time Warner carried Extra Time in my area it wouldn't be an issue.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #253
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
If Time Warner carried Extra Time in my area it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't get an "extra time", but I can stream all games online or on my ipad through the NBC Sports App. Do you have that? As a TWC customer, you should.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #254
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Pretty cool ending to a League 1 game

I think this is how everything goes down if you don't want to follow the link (MLS site).

During injury time a Bury player gets hurt so when play resumes Doncaster does the right thing and kicks the ball back to Bury, except the Doncaster player kicks it over the keepers head for a goal. The Doncaster manager basically begs the ref to not allow the goal but he won't have any of it, the goal stands. Doncasters manager then instructs his players to allow Bury to walk the ball into the net for the equalizer.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #255
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The Goal of the Season in the Eredivisie was already scored today, by Martin Hansen from ADO Den Haag against reigning champions PSV. Definitely worth googling.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #256
The Jackal
Coordinator

Wow, that was nice, from a keeper too.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #257
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
Pretty cool ending to a League 1 game

I think this is how everything goes down if you don't want to follow the link (MLS site).

During injury time a Bury player gets hurt so when play resumes Doncaster does the right thing and kicks the ball back to Bury, except the Doncaster player kicks it over the keepers head for a goal. The Doncaster manager basically begs the ref to not allow the goal but he won't have any of it, the goal stands. Doncasters manager then instructs his players to allow Bury to walk the ball into the net for the equalizer.

And meant to comment on this, good sportsmanship for sure.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #258
Grover
Pro Starter

West Ham have avoided a Joey Barton shaped bullet.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #259
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
West Ham have avoided a Joey Barton shaped bullet.

Go Swarm Intelligence
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #260
Grover
Pro Starter

I just thought it was a bizarre pairing to begin with. Gold even remarked in 2013 that he'd give Allardyce a few days off for his own mental wellbeing.

So... glad it's not happening.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #261
whomario
Pro Starter

Meanwhile in the German Cup there was a match terminated due to the referee being struck and blodied with a lighter and the team bus of Hertha Berlin was shot at straight through the windshield from a motorcycle, drivy-by-style... Luckily no one was hit.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #262
miami_fan
Coordinator

Am I a bad person if I hope that a Chelsea player gets seriously injured this weekend and is worse off because the medical staff took too long to go on the field?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #263
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Am I a bad person if I hope that a Chelsea player gets seriously injured this weekend and is worse off because the medical staff took too long to go on the field?

Kind of? Unless it's John Terry, then absolutely not.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #264
britrock88
Pro Starter

Shakiri to Stoke!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #265
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I just watched the Tivo of Liverpool and Stoke.

I'm definitely not sold on Liverpool's attack. Aside from being saved by Coutinho, they looked hard pressed to crack through Stoke's well organized defense. While Coutinho saved the day with his strike, it seemed to me that LFC ran their offense through him almost exclusively, and he didn't seem any more capable of orchestrating a breakthrough today than he did during the lambasting last season.

Stoke looked far more impressive at both ends in my book. But it might have been Liverpool's lack of polish that made that impression.

Agree. It was a frustrating result.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Kind of? Unless it's John Terry, then absolutely not.

I completely forgot about the John Terry angle. Okay, now I feel much better. Thanks for the pick me up!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #267
whomario
Pro Starter

Zlatan Who ?

From the german 3rd division

and from Serbia the bicycle kick that shames all others:

Last edited by whomario : 08-14-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #268
AlexB
Pro Starter

Back to the top of the league, until tomorrow at least. 28 points out of the last 33 now, slightly surreal!

More realistically, we're 15% towards our target after just two games.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #269
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow! Unbelievable comeback by Sporting KC to keep their run going at home. Three goals in the last 20 minutes to come back from a 3-1 deficit.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #270
whomario
Pro Starter

The Bundesliga is off and running I read somewhere that the league is the "the most exciting foregone conclusion" or sth with Bayern as the sure fire champion (seriously, their roster is amazing again with Douglas Costa looking like an upgrade over Ribery, not just a replacement).

Anyway, while Bayern fullfilled expectations with a 5-0 over Hamburg at home, my boys from Dortmund also got off to a stellar start, beating last years 3rd place team Mönchengladbach 4-0 and it could have easily been 6 or 7 nothing. Really dominant performance and the new coach is already making his presence known. I will never say a bad thing about Klopp and his style of play was amazingly brilliant and super exciting (and heck, last season was bad luck as much as anything else). But that being said: It seems that they still retain that but play much more patient offensively when the initial through ball is not there, sort of a hybrid approach between the Klopp style and a Tiki-Taka type game.

Mkhitaryan is looking world class at the moment, the guy is the perfect Attacking Midfielder on paper, now he is showing it in games. And Aubameyang is unfair at times. A player with that sort of speed is not supposed to also easily control high 50 meter passes or have a top notch heading game.

Here´s the 4 goals:

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #271
MrBug708
Head Coach

Coquelin should have been tossed. Ah well, playing one of the big boys today

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-16-2015 at 08:57 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #272
The Jackal
Coordinator

Coquelin's yellow was a stretch, but I agree I thought that second foul was probably deserving of a yellow. Maybe the ref figured those two combined weren't worth a red.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #273
The Jackal
Coordinator

What a first half to watch, though. Palace is a fun team.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #274
TroyF
Coordinator

Coq scares the hell out of me. Arsenal need his physicality, but he comes close to crossing the line a lot. Thank God for a win after the disaster of last week. Palace is a good team.

I'd be stunned if there is an incredibly violent challenge in this City/Chelsea game. The ref refuses to give a card for any offense. (both teams at fault, Silva and Costa both should have yellows and there could have been others)

It's shocking me how easy it has been for City to break down the Chelsea defense and get in for goal scoring chances. The keeper has been fantastic and a little bit lucky. Chelsea should probably be down 2 goals right now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #275
kingfc22
Head Coach

Mourinho is delusional. No Jose your team was not the best side in the second half. Not even close.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-16-2015 at 12:15 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #276
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow. Glad I went fishing this morning rather than watching Chelsea get drilled.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #277
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

City attack will unstoppable when De bruyne joins.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #278
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Holy crap, sounds like otamendi is definitely on too.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #279
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
City attack will unstoppable when De bruyne joins.

City have been unbelievable, but I think I can speak for most that of the big 4, the only one that frightened me with them running away was Chelsea. City are great and if Toure and Kompas play the way they did today, they could win the entire thing.

But I would be devastated had Chelsea started off with 6 full points, I'm only frightened City did. .
Old 08-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #280
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Mourinho is delusional. No Jose your team was not the best side in the second half. Not even close.

Jose and Costa and Terry. And. . . I love it when that team loses.

No, Jose, your team was not the better team in the second half. Your team was destroyed. They had one incredible chance to get to 1-1. Hart saves it, City scored a minute later and you were done. Chelsea might have been the better team for a five minute stretch in the second half. Beyond that, no.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #281
Grover
Pro Starter

I had to rewind and replay/pause to get this shot.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #282
Grover
Pro Starter

Otamendi is going to be Mangala Part 2. Hugely overrated. No idea where he got the reputation in Spain after seeing him play with Porto.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #283
miami_fan
Coordinator

Full props to the Spanish FA for banning Pique for four games. Just make sure it is the same for all players this season.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #284
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Lol otamendi was in the la liga team of the year last season. Had Messi in his back pocket. And Mangala will be just as good in a couple of years.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #285
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Lol otamendi was in the la liga team of the year last season. Had Messi in his back pocket. And Mangala will be just as good in a couple of years.

I always have to remember that defenders primes are usually later than a strikers and young kids usually get better. I REALLY have to try to remember that with Mangala because he has never impressed me in the least, even for flashes.

I think Otamendi is a good player, but as with every player, we'll need to see how he translates to the EPL. Some guys come right in and shine (see: Alexis Sanchez) Some guys take time, especially defenders. I remember how many Arsenal fans wanted to hang Kolechlny on a stick after his Arsenal start.

Whatever happens, if Arsenal doesn't win the title, it needs to be you guys. Please, for the love of everything sacred, make it you guys.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #286
whomario
Pro Starter

Dortmund down 0:3 after 20 minutes (first goal after 13 seconds), then hitting the woodwork 4 times and still comes back to win 4:3 in Norway against Odds BK. Felt like playing FM
Old 08-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #287
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Dortmund down 0:3 after 20 minutes (first goal after 13 seconds), then hitting the woodwork 4 times and still comes back to win 4:3 in Norway against Odds BK. Felt like playing FM
Say what!? We were briefly watching that game, saw BVB was down 3-1 and figured: that ain't gonna be worth watching. Shame on us...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #288
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Newcastle has spent the 4th most of anybody in Europe this transfer window.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #289
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Say what!? We were briefly watching that game, saw BVB was down 3-1 and figured: that ain't gonna be worth watching. Shame on us...

It was basically the most spectacular mix of high class athletes and Sunday League behavior you will ever find, totally bizarre game including the fact that it ended up with a kinda normal outcome despite all that Everything about that game was funky.
Goal after 13 seconds, Dortmund hitting the woodwork after 90 seconds, Odds nailing a 30+ yard Free Kick, Dortmund missing a great chance to a brilliant save, then scoring a vital 1:3 5 seconds later from a massive blunder of the keeper... Dortmund hitting the 2:3 60 seconds into the 2nd half, then hitting the woodwork 3 more times and then ultimately winning on a late header.
In the end it could have been 10-3 as well, Odds players were tired as hell towards the end. They played a style of play that is way beyond their weight class and it showed towards the end. Still, fun team (very young as well, played a 17 year old on the left wing and a trio of 19/20 year olds in goal/defense).

Old 08-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #290
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Apparently my ugly face showed up on TV during halftime of the Newcastle/Manchester United today on NBCSN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toonnbc.jpg (90.5 KB, 151 views)
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 08-22-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #291
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good win for Palace today
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #292
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nice, Neuqua . Good result as well.. so close to 3 points at the end...

---

Landon Donovan had the tweet of the day:
Landon Donovan on Twitter: "Love hearing all the @premierleague commentators talk about the "brutal heat" in the games today. Try playing @HoustonDynamo in August 😂😂🔥🔥"
Quote:
Love hearing all the @premierleague commentators talk about the "brutal heat" in the games today. Try playing @HoustonDynamo in August

They were talking about how hot it was in Norwich, 30 Celsius, which may have required a water break... I was like 30 C is what... 86 Fahrenheit?!! What? That's nothing! I can only imagine if MLS games took water breaks for every game where it was over 86... just about every game during the summer would have one!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-22-2015 at 12:26 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #293
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah Pedro can do it on a cool,wet Sunday afternoon at the Hawthorns but can he do it on a cold, wet Wednesday night at Stoke?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #294
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

LA Galaxy looking positively OP in the West right now. On their day they are easily the best in the league, but they are thinnest at the positions most likely to cause them to implode - GK an CB.

I would put money on them to in the cup this year (and maybe the Supporter's Shield as well).

They are absolutely collecting scalps at this point. Most of the biggest blowouts this year have been by them.

Keane-Zardes-Dos Santos-Gerrard-Llegett is just outrageous in attack. And when you look at their regular 18, the subs would be starting for almost any team in the league. It's probably been 5 years running where you could seriously ask if the Galaxy team was the best all-time MLS team.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #295
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know, I would have said similar at CB, but Leonardo has impressed me quite a bit lately.

And yeah, there is no answer for Keane-Zardes-Dos Santos-Gerrard-Llegett at this point. And then you add in there Juninho and Rogers making overlapping runs... yikes!

And Llegett is making me wonder why in the world West Ham didn't play him more. He actually did quite well when he did play for them, and he's showing that he definitely has great talent and decision making ability - what an acquisition by LA.

The other thing was that in the commentary, Taylor Twellman was right on point when he mentioned that LA is a great lesson in how to do Designated Players, where NYCFC isn't. He pointed out (and I forgot) that LA brought Keane in when he was 31 and while Gerrard is older, he's only on an 18 month contract. Dos Santos is in his 20s. NYCFC, on the other hand purchased old DPs from the start (though arguably David Villa is on the line of "old" - he definitely has a few really good years still in him).

I have been thinking of a while that what MLS teams should do with their DPs is bring in younger players who have great talent but have fallen out of favor in their clubs, or can't crack the starting lineup regularly for any host of reasons. That was what Toronto did with Giovinco. That's what Seattle did with Oba Martins. Arguably that's what LA did with Keane.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-24-2015 at 09:56 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #296
TroyF
Coordinator

I womder if Jose will bring up Arsenals game today whenhe talks about jis conspiracy theories. Clearly onside goal taken away (note, this one isnt even debateable) Arsenal loses two points.

Cech was amazing. Walcott has to play more. We need more goals.

If we are looking for the opposite of aggreived teams this year, it is Liverpool. They have got just about every major decision go their way so far this year.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #297
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I womder if Jose will bring up Arsenals game today whenhe talks about jis conspiracy theories. Clearly onside goal taken away (note, this one isnt even debateable) Arsenal loses two points.

If we are looking for the opposite of aggreived teams this year, it is Liverpool. They have got just about every major decision go their way so far this year.

Agree with the Ramsey goal, but Arsenal looked way better with Giroud up front than with Walcott. Giroud was at least in the right areas, Walcott was literally no threat at all.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #298
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Agree with the Ramsey goal, but Arsenal looked way better with Giroud up front than with Walcott. Giroud was at least in the right areas, Walcott was literally no threat at all.

I'm not even saying Walcott has to play up top as a striker. I just prefer it when he plays. His speed does things to opposing defenses when he's attacking. I love Giroud. Still, something is missing with the attack right now and it needs to be fixed.

I know, I'm overreacting a little bit after one horrid game and a game that we won yesterday if the refs do their job correctly. This team has far too much talent to be shut out twice in three games.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #299
The Jackal
Coordinator

I do want to see more of Theo and Ox, but against a team that just sits back (as a lot of teams will do against us), Theo is going to be largely ineffective as a lone striker.

Ramsey being shunted to the right just makes everything weird, though he's had some very good performances there lately.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #300
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

They're running a fine line by not playing Ox more because when he's coming on he's now trying to "show something" and isn't doing a lot of passing. I know they're both playing well but he needs on the field for either Carzola or Ozil. Both of those guys play well but they are not really dynamic and offer no real goal scoring threat.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote