Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #251
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Any Niners fans have an opinion on Cedric Wilson?

I don't believe I have ever heard of him before this signing and his size/speed make it sound like he is a Randle El clone--more quick and agile than downfield speedy. I was kind of hoping the Steelers could find some contrasting talent in FA and the draft, along the lines of one tall/possession type and one deep threat to go with Hines Ward and Randle El.

Not a niner's fan, but Wilson is decent. He's not Plex though.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #252
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Buccaneers resign Joey Galloway.

Darren Howard will sign his franchise tender. The Saints are still looking to trade him.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #253
mckerney
Coordinator

KFAN reporting that the Vikings are close to resigning Jermaine Wiggins.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-08-2005 at 03:33 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #254
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
KFAN reporting that the Vikings are close to resigning Jermaine Wiggins.

Wonder what that means for Kleinsasser...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #255
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Wonder what that means for Kleinsasser...

I don't think it means much for Kleinsasser, the Vikings will likely continue to run a 2 TE set most of the time next year. Wiggins wasn't nearly the blocker the team expected him to be when they brought him in though was a much better reciever, so the two likely aren't in competition for the same spot.

KFAN also reporting that a Viking official said that the team is currently in contract negotiations with Fred Smoot.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-08-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #256
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I don't think it means much for Kleinsasser, the Vikings will likely continue to run a 2 TE set most of the time next year. Wiggins wasn't nearly the blocker the team expected him to be when they brought him in though was a much better reciever, so the two likely aren't in competition for the same spot.

KFAN also reporting that a Viking official said that the team is currently in contract negotiations with Fred Smoot.

Fred Smoot still has a pretty good offer on the table from Washington. I would be shocked if Red McCombs is the man to beat it.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #257
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Fred Smoot still has a pretty good offer on the table from Washington. I would be shocked if Red McCombs is the man to beat it.

I'm sure the deal would have to include the deal would include a delayed bonus much like Pat Williams recieved.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #258
mckerney
Coordinator

Source: Vikings close to signing Smoot
Last Update: 3/8/2005 4:14:50 PM

KFAN dot com

The Vikings and free-agent cornerback Fred Smoot are close to reaching an agreement on a lucrative multiyear contract, a Vikings source told the FAN on Tuesday afternoon.

Smoot, a former second-round pick who played his first four seasons in Washington, rejected a contract offer from the Redskins last week that included a $10 million bonus.

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, coach Mike Tice and other team officials were ironing out contract details with Smoot and his agent, James Cook, in a closed-door meeting at Winter Park, the source said. Smoot was scheduled to continue his free-agent tour on a flight Tuesday afternoon.

Smoot, considered one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, has 182 tackles and 16 interceptions in 60 career games. He battled shoulder and back problems in 2004, but played in 15 games -- missing only the Redskins' victorious season finale against the Vikings.

The 25-year-old Mississippi State product also has had chest and knee injuries, playing in all 16 games just once in his four-year career.

In Minnesota, Smoot would play opposite Antoine Winfield, who signed a six-year, $35 million contract last March that included a $10.8 million bonus.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the Vikings were roughly $31 million under the salary cap.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #259
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Glad the Bengals are making moves to improve.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #260
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
As of Tuesday afternoon, the Vikings were roughly $31 million under the salary cap.

Holy crap! How did they manage that? Do they still have a lot of people to sign?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
kendrell bell to kc for 7 years.

Thats a gripload of cash(10+ million guaranteed) for a guy with health issues. I can't believe you can be hurt all year and still expect 6mil/year like his agent was expecting. Talentwise it may be a loss to Pitt, but its not like we were gonna miss him anyways. I wonder what round of compensatory pick he will give us.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #262
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Holy crap! How did they manage that? Do they still have a lot of people to sign?

Nah, just cheap.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #263
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho

Apparently they give guys a lot of incentives marked "likely to be achieved" and when the guys dont get those incentives, they get folded into the cap the following year. I read about one team giving their 3rd string QB a 5 million dollar incentive if he throws the most TD passes for the team(I think Jacksonville). Its a cap loophole they should look to close in the future to some degree.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #264
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Thats a gripload of cash(10+ million guaranteed) for a guy with health issues. I can't believe you can be hurt all year and still expect 6mil/year like his agent was expecting. Talentwise it may be a loss to Pitt, but its not like we were gonna miss him anyways. I wonder what round of compensatory pick he will give us.

I hope they are graded by the amount of the player's new contract.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #265
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Local radio has confirmed that Smoot has signed with the Vikes.

-----
Vikings bolster secondary with Smoot
Last Update: 3/8/2005 6:17:09 PM

KFAN dot com

The Vikings and free-agent cornerback Fred Smoot agreed to terms on a six-year deal early Tuesday evening, the FAN has learned.

Terms were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be close to the six-year, $35 million contract the Vikings' other top cornerback, Antoine Winfield, signed last March.

The team will introduce Smoot at an 11 a.m. press conference Wednesday.

Smoot, a former second-round pick who played his first four seasons in Washington, rejected a contract offer from the Redskins last week that included a $10 million bonus.

The 5-foot-11, 174-pound cornerback planned to continue his free-agent tour in Kansas City on Tuesday afternoon, but missed the flight while his agent, James Cook, ironed out details with Vikings officials at Winter Park.

Smoot, considered one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, has 182 tackles and 16 interceptions in 60 career games. He battled shoulder and back problems in 2004, but played in 15 games -- missing only the Redskins' victorious season finale against the Vikings.

The 25-year-old Mississippi State product also has had chest and knee injuries, playing in all 16 games just once in his four-year career.

Smott will start opposite Winfield in Minnesota, replacing restricted free agent Brian Williams.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 03-08-2005 at 06:23 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #266
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Apparently they give guys a lot of incentives marked "likely to be achieved" and when the guys dont get those incentives, they get folded into the cap the following year. I read about one team giving their 3rd string QB a 5 million dollar incentive if he throws the most TD passes for the team(I think Jacksonville). Its a cap loophole they should look to close in the future to some degree.
Don't confuse the issues here. There's no way the NFL would deem that clause you're talking about "likely to be earned."

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-08-2005 at 06:49 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #267
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like Fred Smoot... and I'm not biased by the fact that he was my starting corner in FOF2K4 for a long time. I like him in the NFL, too I guess.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's a good signing for the Vikes. It gives them two quality starting corners for the first time in years. If they do manage to trade for Darius, they should have a decent D. Their line is pretty strong, the linebackers are fast and athletic, and their secondary should be solid. If they get a good wideout in the draft (or sign an FA) to help fill the Randy Moss void, they should be in good shape.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #269
mckerney
Coordinator

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5281325.html

The Vikings have agreed to terms with free agent tight end Jermaine Wiggins on a five-year deal worth $7.3 million with a $1 million signing bonus, his agent, George Mavrikes, told the Star Tribune on Tuesday.

With the Smoot signing, Brian Williams can either be moved to safety, or he'll be a solid nickle back.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-08-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #270
Franklinnoble
Banned

Vikings are busy today...
Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #271
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Vikings are busy today...

Yeah, if only they can pull off a deal for Darius today.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #272
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Any idea on who the Vikings kicker is going to be next year, mckerney? I don't want this to end up being another "wait until someone gets cut during training camp" type deal.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #273
mckerney
Coordinator

With luck, Mike Nugent.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #274
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
With luck, Mike Nugent.

Hell, Ted nugent would be an upgrade at this point
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #275
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Hell, Ted nugent would be an upgrade at this point

Yeah. It sure would be nice to get some youth at the kicker position.

If we're unlucky, Rhys Lloyd will be wearing purple as he fires extra point attempts into the defensive line. Why he's ranked the 3rd best kicking prospect by Kiper is beyond me.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #276
TLK
Pro Starter

John Clayton is reporting that Brad Johnson will end up with the Lions, possibly as early as tomorrow....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #277
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
John Clayton is reporting that Brad Johnson will end up with the Lions, possibly as early as tomorrow....

Where's Jeff Garcia go? Joins the iffy Tampa situation?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #278
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Sigh. Looking like Bears and Jay Fiedler are gonna be united.

Joy.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #279
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Don't confuse the issues here. There's no way the NFL would deem that clause you're talking about "likely to be earned."

Seriously, Quinn Gray had like 6 million in incentives that he didnt earn, but that were considered "likely to be earned," giving the Jags an extra cap credit for this year.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #280
TLK
Pro Starter

Garcia had been linked with Denver. Seattle is also possible after the Dilfer trade....

Last edited by TLK : 03-08-2005 at 09:48 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #281
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Any Niners fans have an opinion on Cedric Wilson?

I don't believe I have ever heard of him before this signing and his size/speed make it sound like he is a Randle El clone--more quick and agile than downfield speedy. I was kind of hoping the Steelers could find some contrasting talent in FA and the draft, along the lines of one tall/possession type and one deep threat to go with Hines Ward and Randle El.

I'll miss him -- he was a solid young receiver who looked like he could be a solid #2/3 type WR. It seemed like every single pass he caught was for a first down.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #282
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Where's Jeff Garcia go? Joins the iffy Tampa situation?

All signs pointed to Denver at one time. Though Seattle apparently jumped into the mix too after the Dilfer trade.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #283
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Garcia had been linked with Denver. Seattle is also possible after the Dilfer trade....
Woah.

That was weird. I didn't see your post when I posted mine.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-08-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is the article i was talking about

Quote:
Around the 49ers, the phrase "dead money" has been heard a lot this year. Dead money refers to a portion of signing bonuses paid in the past to players who no longer are with the team.

Here's how it works:

Signing bonuses are prorated over the length of a contract for salary-cap purposes. If a player leaves the team before his contract expires, the remaining prorated portion of the bonus is counted immediately, in a lump sum, against the cap.

For example, when the 49ers got rid of Jeff Garcia following the 2003 season, they had to account for about $10 million of signing bonus previously paid to him but not yet counted against the cap.

That is known as "dead money."

In apportioning their $80.582 million salary cap this year, the 49ers had to include $28 million of dead money.

Dead money also can carry a hidden advantage to an owner because it allows a team to use up salary-cap space without spending anything more. Some NFL owners have been known to intentionally create dead money.

The flip side of dead money is a loophole in the cap rules that allows teams to create additional cap space.

Owners who want to spend more money, rather than pinch pennies, have an easy way to get some wiggle room. If a team has cap space remaining late in a season, because, say, space left for emergency injury replacements was not required, there is a way to push that cap room to the following year.

A team can do this by signing a player to a contract that calls for impossible-to-achieve bonuses; under the rules, a bonus added to a contract during the season is counted against the current cap as "likely to be earned," although it might never be paid.

Jacksonville recently did this with third-string quarterback Quinn Gray, signing a new deal that included a $6 million bonus if he leads the team in touchdown passes.

That won't happen, of course. So in 2005, that $6 million will be credited back to the Jaguars' salary cap, in effect raising their cap limit by that amount. Some owners want to close that loophole.

Last edited by stevew : 03-08-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #285
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cardinals sign S Robert Griffith to a two year deal.

Falcons sign P Toby Gowin and release P Chris Mohr

Browns sign Trent Dilfer to a 4 year deal

Patriots re-sign G Stephen Neal
Old 03-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #286
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Seriously, Quinn Gray had like 6 million in incentives that he didnt earn, but that were considered "likely to be earned," giving the Jags an extra cap credit for this year.

I appreciate the follow-up, it looks like we both get half-credit here. It specifically mentions that bonuses that are added to a contract "during the season" are automatically factored in as "likely to be earned."

I wonder what the defition of "during the season" is, and I wonder how long it will take the NFL to close that particular loophole.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #287
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I like what the Vikes are doing this year. They have seriously upgraded the defense - CB, LB, DL (which they had to do), and even more so if they add a quality safety. They dumped the Moss headache, and will probably get a very promising WR in Mike Williams in the draft. Add a 3rd receiver in FA, and I think they will compete. They won't be as explosive, but won't need to with the improved defense.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #288
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
I like what the Vikes are doing this year. They have seriously upgraded the defense - CB, LB, DL (which they had to do), and even more so if they add a quality safety. They dumped the Moss headache, and will probably get a very promising WR in Mike Williams in the draft. Add a 3rd receiver in FA, and I think they will compete. They won't be as explosive, but won't need to with the improved defense.

I agree with you - and I'm a Packers fan. Their defense has gotten a whole lot better in the last week. That makes me uneasy - and the fact that Packers fans are uneasy should make Vikings fans very happy.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #289
Franklinnoble
Banned

Bah. The Vikings need a new head coach before they go anywhere.

Tice is goddamned horrible.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #290
Franklinnoble
Banned

dola... Seriously... I mean, Art Shell is begging to work as a head coach again, and Mike Tice still has a job.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #291
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards ownership shelling out money + Good players actually wanting to play for the Cardinals=Me, Cardinal fan, falling into a coma in disbelief.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:25 AM   #292
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bah. The Vikings need a new head coach before they go anywhere.

Tice is goddamned horrible.

you mean most coaches don't consider anything inside the 50 to be 4-down territory?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #293
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola... Seriously... I mean, Art Shell is begging to work as a head coach again, and Mike Tice still has a job.

I really am puzzled by why Art Shell hasn't gotten another shot - the man was 54-38 with the Raiders and had just 1 losing season.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #294
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Sigh. Looking like Bears and Jay Fiedler are gonna be united.

Joy.

I hear Fielder to the Jets. That leaves Garcia to Chicago. Not good.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #295
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
I hear Fielder to the Jets. That leaves Garcia to Chicago. Not good.

You know, having to choose between Fiedler and Garcia as a backup is a bit like having to choose whether you want an angry pack of chimps to rip off your nose or your foot.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 PM   #296
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
You know, having to choose between Fiedler and Garcia as a backup is a bit like having to choose whether you want an angry pack of chimps to rip off your nose or your foot.

I don't think so. We're talking backup here. Granted he's not what he once was, but Garcia has played at a pro bowl level. Fiedler, granted isn't a great QB, but he has considerable starting experience, is intelligent and can pick up an offense and didn't exactly have a great offense around him in Miami.

No, I wouldn't want either of them leading my team, but really, how many back-ups would you look at and say "Wow. I want that guy?" My guess is only a handful. We are talking backups here.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #297
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie

Only more painful.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #298
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
I don't think so. We're talking backup here. Granted he's not what he once was, but Garcia has played at a pro bowl level. Fiedler, granted isn't a great QB, but he has considerable starting experience, is intelligent and can pick up an offense and didn't exactly have a great offense around him in Miami.

No, I wouldn't want either of them leading my team, but really, how many back-ups would you look at and say "Wow. I want that guy?" My guess is only a handful. We are talking backups here.

I was just kidding.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM   #299
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
how many back-ups would you look at and say "Wow. I want that guy?"
Uhhh, Doug Pederson?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #300
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
I really am puzzled by why Art Shell hasn't gotten another shot - the man was 54-38 with the Raiders and had just 1 losing season.

I hate playing the race card, but this is what I'm talking about. It's bloody ridiculous. You've got teams like the 'Niners and Vikings hiring established deadbeats as head coaches. The Raiders hired Norv Turner. The Falcons and Jags hired unproven assistants (yes, they've worked out ok... but still). Re-treads like Schottenheimer get chances all the time.

But Art Shell can't get a job.

If I made a list of the white guys who've been hired since Art Shell's been fired, it'd be sick.

It's fucked up.