Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #251
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Earlier today, a Microsoft rep said there are no plans to bring Blu-Ray to the 360 and that they are focused on games for the 360.

Here is part of the statement:

"Games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=184130

Or

http://www.psu.com/UPDATED--Sony-to-...0002990-p0.php

Quote:
UPDATE:

We can now reveal to you that Microsoft is indeed working with Sony to allow the Xbox 360 to become Blu-ray accessible. Speaking yesterday in Las Vegas, Steve Balmer, the CEO of Microsoft had this to say:

"We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like, and I think the world moves on. Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense."

Did Mr. Balmer go too far and reveal something that Microsoft was not ready to let loose? All we know is that the Xbox 360 will in some way or form be allowed to play Blu-ray movies. This will seriously affect the sales of both sides as Microsoft can now say that the 360 can also play Blu-ray movies while the PS3 loses its advantage of being the only console to offer Blu-ray support. However, Sony will also gain extra revenue through this. So it is a win/lose situation for Sony and one we will closely have an eye on.

Not a confirmation on the 360 add-on, but I'd be quite surprised if one doesn't come out by the end of summer.

Last edited by Travis : 03-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #252
MJ4H
Coordinator

Incidentally, Super Smash Bros. Brawl has easily the best soundtrack ever for a video game. This is amazing.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #253
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Two of the big studios cut $10 off their Blu-ray SMRP's this past week to $29.99. To give you a comparison, that's the same SMRP as many of the new releases on regular DVD (though we all know that the big box retailers routinely sell them for $19.99-24.99). So there's really only a 50% difference right now and that will shrink even further as we approach the holiday season. Those numbers are more scare tactics by critics of the Blu-ray format than actual reality. If your 100-150% number were accurate assuming standard DVD new releases (which typically sell for $19.99), that would mean that Blu-ray new releases would be selling for $40-50. The reality is that they are selling for $30-35 upon release right now and will be even cheaper as the year progresses, which is not anything close to 100-150%.
I wasn't comparing Blu-Ray to DVD... I was comparing it to the cost of downloading a good quality SD movie. Amazon Unbox movies are $14.99 and Blu Ray discs are $30-$40. I fully expect online movie downloads to settle in at $10 and Blu-Ray to settle in at $20, hence my 100-150% is accurate both today and where I expect the markets to go.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #254
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

There's no way it's better than the Galaxy soundtrack. The main theme is pretty awesome though, I'll give you that.

If Vegas took bets on such things, I wonder what odds they might give on Smash Bros. becoming the best selling console game (ignoring Wii Play) this generation. Halo 3 is around 7-8 million and will continue to sell to new 360 owners, Smash Bros. Melee sold 6 million on the GameCube (and was it's highest seller with Mario Kart very close behind) with a far smaller userbase than the Wii has. GTA: San Andreas sold 12 million on the PS2 (best selling game of DC-PS2-XBox-GC era), so GTA4 will be near the top. It will probably be either Halo 3, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, or GTA4.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #255
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
There's no way it's better than the Galaxy soundtrack.

It is. 100%

And I love the galaxy soundtrack.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #256
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Final PAL and Japanese numbers for February are in. Once NPD numbers come out, worldwide totals can be calculated.........

Quote:
Japanese February Console Sales

Wii: 292K
PS3: 50K
360: 10K

PAL February Console Sales

Wii: 438K
PS3: 333K
360: 187K

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-07-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #257
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

crappy, I think my 360 is dead. Just went to put in a movie to watch and it won't read the disk, or the next disk, or the next disk, or either game I have.

no red light of death
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #258
MJ4H
Coordinator

Nintendo listed as top game developer in the world:

http://www.gamedevresearch.com/top-5...opers-2008.htm

based on sales, review scores, releases, and surveys. An interesting list.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #259
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Nintendo listed as top game developer in the world:

http://www.gamedevresearch.com/top-5...opers-2008.htm

based on sales, review scores, releases, and surveys. An interesting list.

Did I read that right?

Quote:
'Top 50 Developers' survey is now available for paid digital download for a price of US $2,995.

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #260
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Did I read that right?

I've always thought companies dumb enough to pay those sort of amounts to read someone elses assessment of whether they're successful or not probably shouldn't have made the list in the first place
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #261
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 20 List
1. Nintendo Kyoto (Brain Age, Wii Play)
2. Infinity Ward (Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare)
3. Blizzard Entertainment (World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade)
4. Electronic Arts Canada (FIFA Soccer 08, NBA Street: Homecourt)
5. Valve (Portal, Team Fortress 2)
6. Konami Japan Studio (Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer, Dance Dance Revolution Universe)
7. Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank Future)
8. Capcom Osaka Studio (Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Monster Hunter Freedom)
9. Electronic Arts Tiburon (Madden NFL 08, NASCAR 08)
10. BioWare Edmonton (Mass Effect, Jade Empire: Special Edition)
11. Bungie Studios (Halo 3)
12. Ubisoft Montreal (Assassin's Creed, Naruto: Rise Of A Ninja)
13. 2K Boston [& Australia] (BioShock)
14. Harmonix (Rock Band)
15. Bandai Namco Tokyo (Ace Combat 6: Fires Of Liberation, Beautiful Katamari)
16. Square Enix Tokyo (Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Front Mission DS)
17. Game Freak (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl)
18. Epic Games (Unreal Tournament 3, Gears Of War PC)
19. Hudson Soft (Mario Party 8, Mario Party DS)
20. Neversoft (Guitar Hero III, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground)

Apparently this list was paid for by... Infinity Ward. Looking at the list, they're really the one that just doesn't fit.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #262
SackAttack
Head Coach

The companies charging that kind of scratch aren't doing it with the hopes of getting Nintendo to buy the release so they can see where they landed.

It's in the hopes of getting a media outlet to pay that kind of scratch for the information for any stories they might be working on.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #263
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

lol at Nintendo Kyoto being chosen over EAD Tokyo. I guess making the best game of all time wasn't good enough for the top 20.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #264
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I wasn't comparing Blu-Ray to DVD... I was comparing it to the cost of downloading a good quality SD movie. Amazon Unbox movies are $14.99 and Blu Ray discs are $30-$40. I fully expect online movie downloads to settle in at $10 and Blu-Ray to settle in at $20, hence my 100-150% is accurate both today and where I expect the markets to go.

Shouldn't you be comparing the cost of SD movie downloads to SD DVDs, not Hi-Definition format stuff?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #265
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Shouldn't you be comparing the cost of SD movie downloads to SD DVDs, not Hi-Definition format stuff?
Perhaps you should go back read my post that spawned this line of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
One thing we learned from music's conversion from physical media to downloads is that the masses don't really care nearly as much about pure quality compared to things like cost and convenience. I'm generally an early adopter on technology and I still think my DVDs look great on my HD projector... I can't imagine the average consumer caring much at all about the difference between HDM and quality 480p downloads especially at 100-150% price differences.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #266
Calis
College Starter

Well I finally took the plunge and grabbed a PS3 today.

After setting up my home media server and firing it up here, I'm extremely impressed and I really see where this thing shines. I picked one up mostly because my old DIVX player was crapping out on me(I have a huge library of DIVX and XVID stuff of all sorts on my computer, and probably 75% of what I watch is from that). An added benefit was my old player was Composite only, and so is my 360 so I was constantly having to switch cables out when I switched from one to the other, so having an HDMI device was a nice bonus.

Awesome feature, and I'm very pleased with how well the DIVX upscales on there. I had some low quality stuff that looked terrible with my old player but now looks above standard quality TV, so it's a very nice change.

Blu-Ray is nice obviously, and it does a great job with regular DVDs. I should add I have a TV that is on the very cheap end of HDTV's, and has terrible upscaling so I'm noticing a huge difference. I don't even have 1080 capabilities, so it'll be nice when I have that.

Game-wise there is still absolutely nothing that interests me apart from The Show which I bought today. Nothing in the pipeline that interests me apart from Little Big World, but right now I'm pleased with the purchase without even having it as a gaming machine.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #267
Groundhog
Coordinator

Little Big World?? First I've heard of that... is that related to the Little Big Adventure game for PC some years back? I loved that game.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Little Big World?? First I've heard of that... is that related to the Little Big Adventure game for PC some years back? I loved that game.

I believe he was referring to Little Big Planet. It's received a high amount of praise for its innovative gameplay/design tools. It's a platformer that allows users to create their own games and distribute the new games through the online network. Here's a recent preview.............

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93853
Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #269
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Sorry, I was off..it's LittleBigPlanet.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/LittleBigPlanet

Sort of a platformer/world creatore thing from what I gather. Just out there enough that it might be fun.

No relation to Adventure I think, but I agree that game was awesome.

EDIT: I was off and slow

Last edited by Calis : 03-09-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #270
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thought I'd put this in the general console thread. The Sports Gamer guys put together a podcast with their impressions on MLB 2K8, MLB '08: The Show, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/pods/Ep13.mp3
Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #271
wade moore
lolzcat

So...

Apparently my in-laws were at BB the other day and saw a line of people.. turns out it was for a Wii (which they borrowed ours for a bit and loved)... there were 58 people in line and 68 Wii's..

So they got in line and got a Wii... and everyone else was buying "some Smash Bros. game?" so they bought it..

Which is awesome - cause no chance they like it which means I get it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #272
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Should be an announcement by Microsoft in the next hour or two when the NDA expires. Here's the details that will be announced about the Xbox 360 price cut in Europe.............

Arcade = £159.99, was £199.99
Premium = £199.99, was £249.99
Elite = £259.99, was £299.99

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-10-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #273
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
I wasn't comparing Blu-Ray to DVD... I was comparing it to the cost of downloading a good quality SD movie. Amazon Unbox movies are $14.99 and Blu Ray discs are $30-$40. .

The only place Blu Ray discs are $30-40 is Best Buy. Try looking at the place you're quoting for SD, Amazon. I've got 20+ Blu-Ray movies, and haven't paid more than $19.99 for any of them
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #274
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
One thing we learned from music's conversion from physical media to downloads is that the masses don't really care nearly as much about pure quality compared to things like cost and convenience.

Thats a ridiculous assumption to be made, and moving from Audio to Visual is a huge change. The vast majority of the masses either don't have the hearing, or don't have the equipment to hear the difference between a 128kbps mp3 and a full quality WAV. You can't tell the difference between the two on earbuds.

In general, people SEE much better than they HEAR. The biggest stumbling block right now for HDMedia is low HDTV adoption rates, but they're going up rapidly so far this year.

People also consume movies and music in different ways. I (and most of the people I know) think portable music, AKA the iPod, are a great idea. MOst people have no interest in carrying around a 3" screen to watch movies. If they want to watch a movie, they want to watch it on a big TV.

Yes, there are some lessons to be learned from MP3, but they most certainly are not the same markets.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #275
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Tthe difference between a 128kbps mp3 and a full quality WAV. You can't tell the difference between the two on earbuds.

Bzzzt.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #276
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Perhaps you should go back read my post that spawned this line of discussion.

No, I read it, and I didn't get it then and I still don't get it now. If I'm going to pay 14.99 for a digital download of a movie, I'd rather just buy the DVD for the same price and have a physical copy.

Plus, watching a movie on an iPod sized screen has no appeal to me.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #277
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
In general, people SEE much better than they HEAR. The biggest stumbling block right now for HDMedia is low HDTV adoption rates, but they're going up rapidly so far this year.
So you've acknowledged two assumptions...

1) HDTV adoption rates are low and that is a stumbling block for HDM
2) Most consumers don't have enough internet bandwidth to make HDTV downloads practical.

The first hurts HDM until it is resolved and the second will hurt HDM once it is resolved. Given that, how much window of opportunity does HDM have between those two points in time? How much of a window does Sony need to make this a profitable endeavor?

Personally I think the window is much smaller even than that based on two additional assumptions, which you don't seem to agree with:

1) DVD quality is good enough that the incentive to upgrade to HDM will be low for the masses
2) Nearly everyone who would be in the market for HDM has enough internet bandwidth for DVD quality downloads

You make the comparison between 128kb mp3s and CD quality sound and claim that is very different than the difference between SDTV and HDTV quality. While I agree that the difference between SDTV cable and HDTV can be vast (particularly with cable providers!), the difference between DVDs or good quality 480p and 720p/1080p is not really that large. In both cases someone paying attention can tell the difference, but the lower quality will still be very enjoyable to almost everyone.

In my personal experience with a 720p projector displaying at ~120", DVDs generally look better than the HDTV I get from my cable provider. Obviously neither looks as good as HDDVDs, but I wouldn't pay double for the HDDVD experience.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #278
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
No, I read it, and I didn't get it then and I still don't get it now. If I'm going to pay 14.99 for a digital download of a movie, I'd rather just buy the DVD for the same price and have a physical copy.

Plus, watching a movie on an iPod sized screen has no appeal to me.
First of all, no one said anything about watching on an iPod size screen. I certainly don't watch much of anything on my iPod.

Secondlyl, there is much available on download services like Amazon Unbox that is not available on DVD (particularly TV shows).

Thirdly, I'm guessing you've never experienced a good download service. The ability to instantly get access to just about anything and watch it on your TV directly on TiVo is pretty sweet (I imagine the experience is similar with the other services). The service I use allows free re-downloads of anything I've purchased so there is no issue with having to deal with storage (physically or digitally). I used to be into purchasing CDs and DVDs, but now i don't get the point of having physical media... they're really such a hassle to deal with all-around IMO. YMMV, but you probably won't be able to hold out too much longer...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #279
wade moore
lolzcat

FWIW the stuff I d/l from Unbox is at a FAR greater quality than my regular TiVO recordings.

I'm with Daimyo here - the large majority of the viewing public is not going to care about these "quality issues".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #280
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The only place Blu Ray discs are $30-40 is Best Buy. Try looking at the place you're quoting for SD, Amazon. I've got 20+ Blu-Ray movies, and haven't paid more than $19.99 for any of them

$19.99?

I have 30+, and I've only paid more than $15 for four of them. Two were $15.99, and the other two I bought at Best Buy yesterday because I got my discount + a $20 gift card for getting them, so my effective cost on a couple of Oscar-nominated films ended up being like $17.

$19.99? You're paying too much.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #281
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
$19.99?

I have 30+, and I've only paid more than $15 for four of them. Two were $15.99, and the other two I bought at Best Buy yesterday because I got my discount + a $20 gift card for getting them, so my effective cost on a couple of Oscar-nominated films ended up being like $17.

$19.99? You're paying too much.

Agreed. Anyone who pays more than that for any Blu-ray movie is a lousy shopper. It takes very minimal effort to find BR movies for under $20.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #282
KWhit
Coordinator

From a quick scan on Amazon, it looks like most BluRay movies are priced at about $25. DVD pricing seems more varied - anywhere from 12.99 to 19.99, but the most common price seems to be about 15.99.

There's still a big difference in price between the two formats and to claim that their pricing is similar is just wrong, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #283
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I want to buy a movie and I like to go walk to that amazon store right now and get one.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #284
MJ4H
Coordinator

Dude I think that's in South America
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #285
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I want to buy a movie and I like to go walk to that amazon store right now and get one.

You can get a movie for cheap on Amazon and wait a couple of days or you can pay a convinience fee to have it right away at Best Buy. That game hasn't changed in years. That's the reason that places like Best Buy can charge a higher price and make a bigger profit margin. Some people just can't wait.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
From a quick scan on Amazon, it looks like most BluRay movies are priced at about $25. DVD pricing seems more varied - anywhere from 12.99 to 19.99, but the most common price seems to be about 15.99.

There's still a big difference in price between the two formats and to claim that their pricing is similar is just wrong, IMO.

They have Buy one, Get one free sales going on all the time. That's what SackAttack and others are talking about. Unless you HAVE to get a movie right then at that price, you can usually find a much cheaper deal on most of the BR discs by waiting a week for a BOGO deal. It's rare that they don't have a BOGO deal going on.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #287
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They have Buy one, Get one free sales going on all the time. That's what SackAttack and others are talking about. Unless you HAVE to get a movie right then at that price, you can usually find a much cheaper deal on most of the BR discs by waiting a week for a BOGO deal. It's rare that they don't have a BOGO deal going on.

That is still a big difference from the DVD market. DVDs started out the same way, but at some point it no longer became worthwhile to wait for internet deals. Going down to the local Best Buy or Walmart gave the same prices as any normal Internet store. Movies are still an impulse buy for many people, so Internet BOGO deals will hit a number of people, but they won't hit the general masses.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #288
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
That is still a big difference from the DVD market. DVDs started out the same way, but at some point it no longer became worthwhile to wait for internet deals. Going down to the local Best Buy or Walmart gave the same prices as any normal Internet store. Movies are still an impulse buy for many people, so Internet BOGO deals will hit a number of people, but they won't hit the general masses.

Correct at this point, but they will become more common in the local retailers as we move through the holiday season. As you mentioned, DVD's went through a very similar 2 year period. It's to be expected at this point, but that doesn't mean that you have to spend $30-40 on a BR movie as some posters have implied.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #289
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, not necessarily BOGO, as it's actually been several weeks on that, but there are still deals to be found.

JR.com had a bunch of movies for $15.99 if you bought two a while back. Amazon periodically either does BOGO or B2GO (although of late it's more the B2GO).

Warner Bros. is doing a B2GO right now, and next week Target's doing a BOGO.

Then there's also ebay, things like that. No, you're not going to get the deals if you're an instant gratification hound, but with even a little bit of work, it's hard not to save money over MSRP.

I snagged The Assassination of Jesse James and Michael Clayton for $29 each (well, less for me because I work there, but bear with me) at Best Buy yesterday, which triggers a free $20 gift card. If you spend that on another BD, you can effectively get that third one for five or ten bucks.

$65 for three movies isn't the best deal I've seen in the last six months, but that's still ~$20 apiece for three movies that will normally retail for $30-35.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #290
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Correct at this point, but they will become more common in the local retailers as we move through the holiday season. As you mentioned, DVD's went through a very similar 2 year period. It's to be expected at this point, but that doesn't mean that you have to spend $30-40 on a BR movie as some posters have implied.

Depends on which "you" you are talking about. If "you" is a tech savvy Internet user who is willing to wait a few days for their movie purchase to go on sale and then wait a few more days for delivery, then no you don't need to pay $30-$40. If "you" is the general shopper who doesn't buy anything online outside of the holiday season, the you do need to pay $30-$40 for most movies, and $25-$30 for almost all of the rest.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #291
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Depends on which "you" you are talking about. If "you" is a tech savvy Internet user who is willing to wait a few days for their movie purchase to go on sale and then wait a few more days for delivery, then no you don't need to pay $30-$40. If "you" is the general shopper who doesn't buy anything online outside of the holiday season, the you do need to pay $30-$40 for most movies, and $25-$30 for almost all of the rest.

But I'm not sure that's relevant yet as the 'general shopper' doesn't have a BR player and isn't shopping for BR discs. The number of people in that situation by year-end will increase by quite a bit and so will the amount of shelf space in retail stores along with cost reductions. That all comes when the market has the demand to support it.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #292
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Unless its changed since the Warner decision, the BOGO deals usually don't have the newest movies, but only a subset of catalog titles.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #293
stevew
Hall Of Famer

our 2008 planogram has a huge footage allocated to blu ray movies, however sears prices on them are atrocious. I believe either 35 or 30 for most everything, sometimes they go on sale for 25.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #294
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But I'm not sure that's relevant yet as the 'general shopper' doesn't have a BR player and isn't shopping for BR discs. The number of people in that situation by year-end will increase by quite a bit and so will the amount of shelf space in retail stores along with cost reductions. That all comes when the market has the demand to support it.

So in a discussion about adoption rate and the question of whether or not Blu-Ray will actually see the positive results of winning the format war, the "general shopper" doesn't matter? The whole point is that Blu-Ray has to get the general shopper to be successful...and before other options become more attractive.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #295
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So in a discussion about adoption rate and the question of whether or not Blu-Ray will actually see the positive results of winning the format war, the "general shopper" doesn't matter? The whole point is that Blu-Ray has to get the general shopper to be successful...and before other options become more attractive.

Well, we could argue that until we were blue in the face (as some have done in the other thread). My assumption is that your 'other options' reference is digital downloads and my opinion is that those are much further off than some would like people to believe. The general shopper will matter a year from now. Right now, he/she doesn't hold much relevance. With that said, this is a console thread and I'd rather discuss that and leave this discussion to the HD movie thread.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-10-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #296
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, we could argue that until we were blue in the face (as some have done in the other thread). My assumption is that your 'other options' reference is digital downloads and my opinion is that those are much further off than some would like people to believe. The general shopper will matter a year from now. Right now, he/she doesn't hold much relevance. With that said, this is a console thread and I'd rather discuss that and leave this discussion to the HD movie thread.

But the two are certainly linked as Sony has put all of their hope into Blu-Ray and if it fails to be a profitable media for years and Sony loses market share (a given), then Sony has made a huge blunder. Getting back to the games, which is what you wish to discuss, I was just reading an article the other day that the 360 continues to dominate in that realm with by far the highest game attach rate.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #297
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If the general shopper holds no relevance, this discussion has no purpose. Do you really think the end-goal isn't to make the general shopper a Blu-Ray customer?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #298
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If the general shopper holds no relevance, this discussion has no purpose. Do you really think the end-goal isn't to make the general shopper a Blu-Ray customer?

I do think that is the end goal, but it's less than one month after BR won the format war. They've got to have several months to let things settle into place before we'll be able to see what ultimately comes of the format. I just think that most of the talk is awfully premature.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #299
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Unless its changed since the Warner decision, the BOGO deals usually don't have the newest movies, but only a subset of catalog titles.

Not the very newest, but I've seen quite a few BOGO sales that had new'ish titles. Yeah, mostly catalog stuff, but the last one I saw had all five of the Harry Potter movies available, among a couple of others.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #300
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
But the two are certainly linked as Sony has put all of their hope into Blu-Ray and if it fails to be a profitable media for years and Sony loses market share (a given), then Sony has made a huge blunder. Getting back to the games, which is what you wish to discuss, I was just reading an article the other day that the 360 continues to dominate in that realm with by far the highest game attach rate.

That shouldn't be surprising. The 360 has been out for nearly 2 1/2 years. The PS3 is just now starting to gain momentum, mainly due to BR integration. Even with the PS3 closing the gap in hardware by roughly 300K/month worldwide, I'd still expect the 360 to have a very solid attach rate as the installed base continues to add games. The PS3 is purchased by more than just gamers, so attach rates are going to suffer for some extent, though Sony would see revenue through the other PS3's in the form of BR movie purchases.