Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #251
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Anybody have an idea on how long until the new laws in Ohio go into effect? The no smoking law and the Minimum wage hike should both affect my job.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 AM   #252
Swaggs
Coordinator

WY-00 Trauner (D): 47.91% Cubin (R): 48.26% Rankin (L): 3.84% 97.5% 01:09 am EST
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #253
SackAttack
Head Coach

Bearcat - don't such things usually take effect Jan. 1?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #254
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

UNOFFICIAL RESULTS FROM SEC'Y OF STATE:

Trauner: 66,414
Cubin:64,698
Rankin: 5,461 (Libertarian)

There are five counties in Wyoming that the Sec'y of State hasn't released results for:

Campbell, Carbon, Natrona, Crook and Sheridan

Natrona and Sheridan both went to Trauner, according to the results from their own county clerk's web sites.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-08-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #255
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Bearcat - don't such things usually take effect Jan. 1?

Thats what I thought but I heard so many different things at work tonight I wasn't sure.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #256
Swaggs
Coordinator

Here is Jim Webb's statement:

Quote:
"I apppreciated what Senator Allen not long ago said when he came on the news and said, `We all need to respect the process in this country, the Democratic process.' We all go out, we vote, we argue, we vote, but also I'd like to say the votes are in.

"And we won."

Pretty funny.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 AM   #257
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

UPDATED RESULTS
CUBIN: 74,015
TRAUNER: 70,443
RANKIN: 5,988

NOT INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE TOTALS
---
Sheridan County results (I guess there was an update in Sheridan...because my last count was that he won there..but oh well)
---
BARBARA CUBIN (REP) . . . . . . . 5,869 51.08
GARY TRAUNER (DEM) . . . . . . . 5,240 45.60

NATRONA COUNTY
---
BARBARA CUBIN (REP) . . . . . . . 8,877 41.09
GARY TRAUNER (DEM) . . . . . . . 12,020 55.64
THOMAS R. RANKIN (LIB) . . . . . . 664 3.07
WRITE-IN. . . . . . . . . . . 44 .20
Old 11-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #258
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There is only one county left to report in Wyoming, that's Carbon County. In 2004, Cubin won that county by 612 votes over her Democratic challenger Ted Ladd.

Of course, the two unofficial numbers I listed from the county's Sheridan and Natrona could change...since they're not on the SoS site yet. We shall see...but I think that margin in Natrona put Trauner over the top.

In 2004: 15,630 14,886 that was vote total in that county in favour of Cubin (who is from and lives there..)

Trauner will win this race.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #259
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Here is Jim Webb's statement:

Pretty funny.

Looking at CNN.com, there's only one district with less than 100% of precincts reporting, and that's Arlington, where Webb is polling 3-1 against Allen.

I'd say he has won.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #260
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like Montana is tightening up a bit.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:40 AM   #261
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ok, time to share my story from the 1994 election.

I was working for an airline, Dallas Express Airlines. At the time of the elections, we didn't have any airplanes. We had to suspend operations in August due to lack of capital. I was one of three people to stick around and try to get the airline off the ground (pun intended) again. We had some airline air conditioning units to sell, and an airline in Tuscon, AZ agreed to buy them. The catch was, we had to deliver them.

I don't know if you've ever seen these AC units, but they are about the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. We had three of them to deliver. So we rented a 25 foot Penske truck and planned to drive them to Tucson, drop them off, and drive back. We got the things loaded on Tuesday (election day) and hit the road. We joked that if they fell out the back of the truck, we'd just stop, pull off the stickers with Dallas Express, and keep driving. Imagine our surprise when we stopped for dinner in El Paso, and saw the back door of the truck bowing out about a foot!

Luckily, there was a Penske shop nearby, and they were able to jack the truck up, and get the units away from the door so we could open the door and better chock the units down. Good thing we go this done before heading up into the mountain passes!

At this point, we'd been awake for 16 or so hours, and still had 8 to 10 hours of driving ahead of us. It was at this point that election results started to come in. Brian, the guy I was driving out there with, was a dyed in the wool Republican that would make the right-wingers on here look like Ted Kennedy. He started whooping and hollering in the cab while we were driving. He then was able to tune in Rush Limbaugh on AM Radio. However, he never was able to keep a station tuned in for long before losing the signal. He would search the dial until he found Rush again, and invariably it would be at about the same starting place of his broadcast each time. So for about 7 hours I heard the same 45 minutes of Rush's broadcast over and over again. It goes without saying that after that I hated Rush with a passion. Before then I was pretty ambivalent about him, but those 7 hours changed my view forever.

We pull into Tuscon around 10am, and drop the AC units off. They pass inspection, and we get the cash for them. We then get a hotel room to catch a few hours of sleep before heading back to Dallas. We had to be back by Friday for a meeting with some potential investors. We hit the road around 6pm on Wednesday. As we get back into the desert, Brian again locates Rush on the radio. And again, we get the same 45 minute snips as we lose one station and gain another. We get back to Dallas around 7pm on Friday, and at this point I've been listening to Rush for roughly 40 of the previous 48 hours. I was about to go insane. The guy sounds normal and coherent about 90% of the time, but he goes off the deep end the other 10%, at least back then.

That was my experience of the Republican majority after the 1994 mid-term elections.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #262
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Don't know about y'all, but I voted Vinatieri for Prez.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #263
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Looking ahead in VA, the governor is a Democrat. What is the Sec State and Supreme Court?
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #264
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Looks like Montana is tightening up a bit.

I don't see it happening. Burns is doing consistently worse in most counties than he did in 2000. He is going to lose by about 11,000 votes.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #265
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

McCaskill is declaring victory in Missouri! If she takes it and Webb takes it and Tester holds out, the Dems pull it out!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 AM   #266
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Ahhhh another sucky year for us third parties.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 AM   #267
SackAttack
Head Coach

Do they, though, DT?

Is that 51 counting Lieberman, who got thrown to the wolves by the CT Democratic Party for being a Republican in Democrat's clothing?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #268
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
McCaskill is declaring victory in Missouri! If she takes it and Webb takes it and Tester holds out, the Dems pull it out!

Contingent on two things

1) The Two I's caucasing with the Dems (and don't doubt there is pressure on Bush to fire Rumsfeld and offer Lieberman the Sec of Defense position to provide the final fuck you to the Dems)

2) The Lawyers of Virginia (who are about to make three years salary in two months), not finding a way to overturn the Webb result.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:05 AM   #269
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Talent just conceded. And there are still some votes to count, but it looks like Missouri loves its stems cells. That's going to be huge for our economy here in KC.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 11-08-2006 at 10:00 AM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #270
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The total at present is 88,761 for Cubin and 88,703 for Trauner. He needs to win Carbon County by a 1059 vote margin to beat her and win the race.

Cubin won that county in 2004 by 612 votes. He's beaten her in three counties that she won in 2004, including her home county and another one, Fremont, that she won by over 2600 votes in 2004. (He won it by 61 votes)

The results are obviously known by someone, but maybe they are counting over and over to be sure. Who knows...Carbon County is home to a large hispanic population....(21%) but who knows how many of them can actually vote or will..

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-08-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #271
Swaggs
Coordinator

MSNBC calls Mizzou for McCaskill.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #272
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Do they, though, DT?

Is that 51 counting Lieberman, who got thrown to the wolves by the CT Democratic Party for being a Republican in Democrat's clothing?

Lieberman said that he'd be caucusing with the Dems if he won.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #273
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Webb up by 6k now.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #274
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

webb is taking VA. up 6k votes! and tester is holding strong...4% over Burns...CNN just called missouri for mccaskill
Old 11-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #275
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

CNN does the same.

49-49

Montana and Virginia yet to come, and the D leads in both
Old 11-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #276
biological warrior
High School Varsity

I havent seen a collapse like this since this years MSU vs ND game.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #277
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Webb up by 12k now.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #278
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Contingent on two things

1) The Two I's caucasing with the Dems (and don't doubt there is pressure on Bush to fire Rumsfeld and offer Lieberman the Sec of Defense position to provide the final fuck you to the Dems)

2) The Lawyers of Virginia (who are about to make three years salary in two months), not finding a way to overturn the Webb result.

The irony of 1) of course, is that the GOP governer would then get to appoint a Senator - who would be a Republican.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #279
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
The irony of 1) of course, is that the GOP governer would then get to appoint a Senator - who would be a Republican.

That's not ironic.

That's WHY it's the 'fuck you.'
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #280
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Webb now up 11K votes in VA (probably a Recount-proof margin, to be honest), and Tester up 4% in MT. Barring Joe Liberman being the next SecDef, It's beginning to look like they have both,
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #281
andy m
High School Varsity

Oh, what a beautiful mornin',
Oh, what a beautiful day.
I got a beautiful feelin'
Ev'rything's goin' my way.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #282
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

As of right now, no incumbent Democrat Senator, Congressman, or Governor has lost or is losing.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #283
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

CNN is reporting that the precincts yet to report in MT may lean Repub, but even in a small state, 4% margin with 33% left is hard to catch up
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #284
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I got the story.

Cubin is getting recounts and it's helping her cause. I think she might yet pull this out, which honestly, I'd prefer in the short term because it would force the state GOP to make her resign after this last term.

She gained -- after the results were in -- votes due to a recalibration of votes in Natrona county (yes, the final unofficial results page with 100% of the precients reporting) changed their numbers and he only won that county by about 2000 votes.

I don't know that he can pull it off unless he has a huge win in Carbon County, which is still doable. Nonetheless, the whole thing is fishy. And yet, unexpected at the same time. No one will want to hear talk of recounts in Wyoming, least of who the people around the state.

Sooo..it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I think that the Carbon county results are gonna be a bombshell, that's why we haven't seen them yet.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 AM   #285
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m View Post
Oh, what a beautiful mornin',
Oh, what a beautiful day.
I got a beautiful feelin'
Ev'rything's goin' my way.

great song on a great album
Old 11-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #286
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
CNN is reporting that the precincts yet to report in MT may lean Repub, but even in a small state, 4% margin with 33% left is hard to catch up

Yes, they do lean Republican, but Burns has too much to make up. He is down an average of 2.5% in counties from the 2000 election. I think they're just waiting for something from the area where they screwed up the voting to make a call. This one seems over. Burns should make up a tiny amount, given the counties left out there, but not much.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if this has been mentioned (it's a long thread & I haven't been home all that long yet) but there's a couple of hellacious races still underway in Georgia.

Incumbent Jim Marshall (D) has seen his several thousand vote lead over former congressman Mac Collins dwindle to 708 votes as the absentee/early votes continue to trickle in. There can't be many votes left out there, but with less than 1000 votes separating them out of 152k +, this one will probably go to a recount either way, unless there's a big swing in the final 15 precincts still outstanding.

Meanwhile incumbent John Barrow (D) had seen his lead over former congressman Max Burns dwindle in a similar fashion but it just bumped back up to 3,387 with 95% of precincts reporting.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #288
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I would love a full fledged political sim, like President Forever, but on steroids (so to speak)

Congressional elections every two years and the presidential every four years. The "in between time" have events, that will affect what issues get prominence come election time (for example, the Republican strategist in this game would be so pissed that the Random Events "Unpopular War", and "Scandal" (several times over) were played on him JUST as he was going to pwn those Democrats from the game) Each region has its own issues.. what flies in the Heartland isn't as important to the Northeast).

You'd be setting the GRAND strategy, not micromanaging (that would be done via AI, or you could take one race only, and try to guide your neophyte politician through several terms as a Representative, then to either a Senatorship or a Governor's position, and then MAYBE for president?)

Basically, the FM of politics sims, but I think it'd be way too hard to code, I guess.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #289
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned (it's a long thread & I haven't been home all that long yet) but there's a couple of hellacious races still underway in Georgia.

Incumbent Jim Marshall (D) has seen his several thousand vote lead over former congressman Mac Collins dwindle to 708 votes as the absentee/early votes continue to trickle in. There can't be many votes left out there, but with less than 1000 votes separating them out of 152k +, this one will probably go to a recount either way, unless there's a big swing in the final 15 precincts still outstanding.

Meanwhile incumbent John Barrow (D) had seen his lead over former congressman Max Burns dwindle in a similar fashion but it just bumped back up to 3,387 with 95% of precincts reporting.

They just said on TV that Marshall is the only D incumbent in super danger of losing his seat.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #290
Swaggs
Coordinator

Webb is getting close to having enough of a lead that the state will not pay for a recount. If Allen is not within 5%, he would have to pay for the recount himself.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #291
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

updating Marshall(D) vs Collins(R) in Georgia -- the margin is now 48 votes, out of 158,000 cast.

But it looks to me as though Marshall should hold on. There are 9 precincts still to count, no more than one in any county, which makes me think those are likely to be the absentees. 6 of those 9 have gone in favor of the trailing Collins, BUT one of them is Bibb County (Macon) which is the largest by far and went about 60% to Marshall.

My expectation at the moment is that, depending upon who turns in their results first, Collins will take the lead briefly and then Marshall will claim it for good once Bibb's numbers are completed.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you mean point 5%?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #293
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Webb is getting close to having enough of a lead that the state will not pay for a recount. If Allen is not within 5%, he would have to pay for the recount himself.

1%
Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #294
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
you mean point 5%?

Right you are.

It is getting late, but I keep thinking that Montana call is right around the corner.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #295
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
1%

Yeah... it is actualy 0.5%.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #296
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh man. Limbaugh's got be apoplectic, McCaskill just publicly credited Rush's overreaction to the Missouri Michael J Fox ad (and the surge in votes on the Stem Cell bill) for the reason she won.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 AM   #297
Swaggs
Coordinator

Man... they must be taking their sweet time counting the ballots in Montana.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Man... they must be taking their sweet time counting the ballots in Montana.

Maybe they're like, what was it, Loudon County, VA? Where the election supervisor said basically "I'm going home now. I'll be back in the morning & we'll finish counting then".
Old 11-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of those quirky little tidbits that you pick up along the night (sorry if this has been mentioned already)

History worked against the GOP, too. Since World War II, the party in control of the White House has lost an average 31 House seats and six Senate seats in the second midterm election of a president's tenure in office.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #300
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I wouldn't be surrpised to get that trotted out in the next few days, Jon.