Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #251
Swaggs
Coordinator

Great episode. Just uncomfortable enough to be enjoyable, but not so outlandish that it was ridiculous.

I also thought Jim would come to the show, but having Michael go ended being surprising and touching enough to make me think they made a better choice there.

My favorite part was Dwight screaming and jumping down from Pam's desk after realizing it was a bat.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #252
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I also was rooting for Jim to show up, but I think Michael showing up was even better and joined the two separate storylines from the show together much better.

In case anyone cares, Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity) directed this episode and it was typical of his style.

Yeah, it was. Some funny bits, some excellent vampire references, but the key part of the episode was its emotional core.

Good stuff.

I've finally started watching this show for the first time this year. I've loved it. I have the season 1 & 2 DVDs and I'm making my way through them.

As for the comparison between the Brit and US versions, it's really hard to do. The Brit version was definitely darker, mainly because of the mad descent of the David Brent character. The U.S. version has really benefited from a longer run. It's allowed them to build and add depth to an excellent cast of side characters like Toby, Angela, Stanley, etc., that really add a lot to the show. The Brit version didn't have enough time to really delve that deep into any characters other than the core group. If I had to make a call, I think I'd prefer Tim over Jim, but Dwight has surpassed Gareth. The Christmas Special/finale of the Brit version, however, is as good as TV gets really. It's one of the best series finales out there. It was really great, great stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #253
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

If everyone loved the British office, why was it's run so short?
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #254
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post

As I understand it, seasons in the UK for that type of show typically have a very short run of episodes. The BBC didn't cancel the series. It was wildly popular, I just think it was never intended to run all that long.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #255
Butter
Coordinator

UK seasons of shows are generally 6 episodes long. They also don't necessarily start at any particular set time like the US.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #256
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nevermind what I said about Pam and her ex-fiancee... he started reverting back to himself again. Even when he was trying to compliment her paintings, it sounded weird.

I noticed at the beginning that it was directed by Joss Whedon, but it caught me offguard and didn't think it was the same guy. Good to see someone else saw that.

Michael Scott started off all crazy again, but the ending redeemed him.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #257
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Next week's episode is being direct by JJ Abrams of "Lost"/"Alias" fame.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #258
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Next week's episode is being direct by JJ Abrams of "Lost"/"Alias" fame.

Great. So we're going to get a lot of confusing storylines that will never be resolved?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #259
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I like how Roy is being written. If it was a normal Friends-like show, he would have realized his mistake, make bold gestures and waltzed his way through problems. But here, you can see he loves her, but even when he tries, he doesn't really get Pam like he needs to.

I noticed that, and liked it. It was interesting that when Roy came by and praised her art, she kinda brushed it off - when Michael came by, she was thrilled.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #260
Raiders Army
Coordinator

When Michael went off on Ryan about not getting a sale yet and setting a fire I was waiting for him to say something about how he wears the same bright blue shirt to work every single day.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #261
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

i believe ricky gervais said he didnt think there was anywhere left to take it, and killed it himself.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #262
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Beacuse Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant are interested in making good shows, not milking something until the very end (although actually, they've managed to have both with the US series, im sure they're getting nice chunk of change).

The Office was wildy popular, he just decided to end it. Same thing he's doing with Extras.

Here in America, people are willing to tolerate total shit tv for a looong time, and the networks really dont care at all about quality.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #263
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
In case anyone cares, Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity) directed this episode and it was typical of his style.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't say it was necessarily typical of his style, but I would say there is little coincidence they had him direct and episode with a Vampire sub-plot.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #264
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah brilliant. I always like episodes were Michael shows himself to be a good guy right after ones he goes insane in. It keeps him balanced. It was really a great gesture for Michael to show up and really show interest in Pam's work (which not even Roy did, really). Of course he was still emotional from Ryan saying Dunder-Mifflin was going to be obsolete in 15 years.

Jim's vampire stuff was awesome... especially Dwight's face whenever he 'realized' it wasn another vampire symptom. And Meredith, in the middle of the ep, calling from the bathroom was rolling on the floor hilarious!

Creed being willing to do ANYTHING Dwight was asking for was great as well. Though I do wonder what else he has in that desk of his.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #265
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I loved Jim's vampire stuff and Dwight's reactions. Overall, another excellent episode.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #266
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Creed being willing to do ANYTHING Dwight was asking for was great as well. Though I do wonder what else he has in that desk of his.

Agreed. The way he cut off Dwight..."Yep." "Sure." "What size?"

When Kelly was telling him not to hurt the bat: "Animals don't feel pain."
Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #267
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It says something about the state of current television when Roy--a second tier character on a comedy--is being written with more depth and complexity than 95% of the TV characters out there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #268
Lorena
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Agreed. The way he cut off Dwight..."Yep." "Sure." "What size?"

Oh that was sooo funny!

The actor that plays Stanley is brilliant. I like how he put the jacket over his head and said, "I'm outta here." He needn't say much to get us busting up.

The ending when Michael showed up at Pam's art gallery had me tear up a bit; what a thoughtful kind man he was buying her art and displaying it when she was down on her stuff.

Oh yeah, and the candy bar bit in class was hilarious too!! Overall nice rebound after last week.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #269
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Today instead of doing anything useful I'm going to catch up on all the episodes of The Office that I've missed this season...which is just about all of them.

And drink some Captain & Coke.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #270
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It says something about the state of current television when Roy--a second tier character on a comedy--is being written with more depth and complexity than 95% of the TV characters out there.

Well, it says something more (sadly) than Two and a Half Men gets a bigger audience.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #271
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have a Office related story that I had to share with you guys. I was sitting at my desk today and one of my co-workers comes in late. So obviously we have that one guy that knows exactly when everyone comes and leaves everyday, but he isn't our boss. He goes up to that person and asks why he was late. The guy tells him this story.

He was at home eating dinner with his family and his 7 year old son shreeks and yells "BAT!!". In his downstairs a bat had gotten in the house and was flying around. He said his family was running around in terror as the bat flew through the house. Finally he saw the bat fly down the stairs into the basement and shut the door. He called animal control and told them what he did. AC said that was the worst thing he could do and to open the door to see if the bat was still flying around. He did slowly and the bat started flying up the steps after him. He immediatly shut the door and screamed in terror. Finally AC came and caught the bat for him.

The entire time he was telling this story I had last week's episode of The Office in my head. I'm laughing so hard, but the guy didn't see it so he didn't share the same humor in it that I did.

"Poop, Poop was raining from the ceiling. Poop"
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #272
Easy Mac

Creed is awesome
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #273
Easy Mac

And I can't believe Roy had a date.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #274
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I liked when Roy started smashing shit and his brother joined in "Damn Jet Ski!!"
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #275
MikeVic
Head Coach

Creed really is awesome. His life is crazy. Dwight should get a career in investigating houses.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 AM   #276
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
And I can't believe Roy had a date.
Huh?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #277
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I liked when Roy started smashing shit and his brother joined in "Damn Jet Ski!!"

Yep!

The next episode should reallllllly be interesting. "I'm gonna kill Jim Halpert."

The scene where Jim was talking and Dwight was yanking on the bannister in the background was great.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #278
Easy Mac

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I like it
http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/03/09/co...fice-newpeats/
Quote:
Remember when NBC had a slogan for their repeats, "If you've never seen it, it's new to you!" I thought it was actually pretty much true, if a sneaky way to sell reruns. Now they're going one step further. Next week the network is going to show two repeats of The Office. But instead of just airing them as they aired before, they're going to be recut into an hour-long episode, mixed up a little bit and with deleted scenes added to put in a whole new subplot that you didn't see in the first airings of the episodes. They're dubbing them "Newpeats."
Sorta sounds like a mix tape or using the shuffle feature on iTunes. My question is: will viewers like this? Will the directors of the episodes like it (assuming they're not part of the remix). Or will fans consider it cheating? Personally, I think it's a neat way to watch the episodes again. I mean, they're going to show the reruns anyway, so maybe this is a chance to show deleted scenes again and see what the episode looks if remixed.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #279
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I like it
http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/03/09/co...fice-newpeats/

It'd be cool if the re-runs ran during the summer when they were supposed to and not the time when new episodes are supposedly to be freaking run.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #280
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
It'd be cool if the re-runs ran during the summer when they were supposed to and not the time when new episodes are supposedly to be freaking run.

Well they only produce 22 episodes a year, so to run from September to May there will have to be some reruns in between the new episodes.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #281
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

I think it's a cool idea in theory, I'll wait to see the implementation though.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #282
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It actually sounds very cool to me. Look, repeats during the season will happen. It seems silly to complain about The Office, when another show I watch, House, is on-TV, off-TV so damned much (because of American Idol) you never know when its coming on (thank you DVR).
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #283
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'll be interested to see if it's scenes that haven't been shown on the itunes version. I suppose I'll have to DVR those two episodes.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #284
Easy Mac

Just reminding people its back on now. Supersized 40 minutes, which means 22 minutes of show and 18 minutes of commercials.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #285
RedKingGold
College Starter

The woman's suit gag was pretty damn funny
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #286
Easy Mac

What's wrong with naming the baby Usher?

Usher Jennifer Hudson Kuppour.

I love how the whole Ryan-Indian girl relationship is just running out of control, and its totally believable.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #287
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I love when Darryl teaches Michael "black man" talk
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #288
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
I love when Darryl teaches Michael "black man" talk

Fo shizzle.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #289
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"I'm going to beat your head in with a hammer. Let's go"
(listens over to Ryan and Kelly) "Ok"

And I loved how Toby said if it was on purpose that Michael put Toby back with Ryan and Kelly, it was genius.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #290
Easy Mac

Oh my god, I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

The Ryan-Kelly Netflix talk was absolutely hilarious... and I totally never do that when my girl talks.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #291
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How long till people with depression demand an apology?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #292
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh my god, I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

The Ryan-Kelly Netflix talk was absolutely hilarious... and I totally never do that when my girl talks.

Even funnier when he's holding out his hand checking out the time..

Is Michael going to jump? roffle
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #293
Easy Mac

dwight, you ignorant slut
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #294
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dwight, you ignorant slut

QOTW
Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #295
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Was Creed peeing in the bushes?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #296
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dang it I forgot today was Thursday!
Luckily I subscribe to the show through iTunes so I'll be able to download it tomorrow..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #297
Easy Mac

am i a hero? i really can't say, but yes.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #298
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Was Creed peeing in the bushes?
Yeah - raw potatoes will make you do that...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #299
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Brilliant!!

I especially liked when Creed pointed out the castle and you could clearly see the spires above the fence.

"It's takes bravery to be you", hehe

"I'm coming down for my present"

"If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I'll be a VERY rich man!"

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-12-2007 at 10:13 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #300
Butter
Coordinator

[un-shun]

I found the episode amusing as well.

[/re-shun]