Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #251
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
They had plenty of copies down at the CC when I was out laptop shopping. I'm so close to cracking for this game and paying essentially $210 for a single game.

The only good thing is that if you like other genres, there are plenty of good PS2 games out there.

As soon as we buy the house and I still see that we have a decent amount of funds, I'm going to crack and buy this game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #252
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The only good thing is that if you like other genres, there are plenty of good PS2 games out there.

As soon as we buy the house and I still see that we have a decent amount of funds, I'm going to crack and buy this game.

Yeah, I see that they have a lot of titles in their "Greatest Hits" category, which are currently going for $19.95. There would be a lot of games that are "new to me"

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 03-18-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #253
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I see that they have a lot of titles in their "Greatest Hits" category, which are currently going for $19.95. There would be a lot of games that are "new to me"

I never played God of War, but that is supposed to be a great game that is now among the Greatest Hits Titles, and is another game that I plan on buying in the next few months. There are MANY very good games that can be bought for 19.95.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #254
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
They had plenty of copies down at the CC when I was out laptop shopping. I'm so close to cracking for this game and paying essentially $210 for a single game.

It's what i did, bought a PS2 just for this game but i guess i'll end buying more games for it. It doesn't beat the text sim experience on a PC, but for action games the PS2 is great.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #255
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I never played God of War, but that is supposed to be a great game that is now among the Greatest Hits Titles, and is another game that I plan on buying in the next few months. There are MANY very good games that can be bought for 19.95.

Yes, God of War is on my list to get next.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #256
Philliesfan980
Banned

Its going to be an expensive night....
Old 03-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #257
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Its going to be an expensive night....

Old 03-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #258
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I traded Arena Football at Hastings and used that towards it.

Hehe...but then, I'm not the die hard fan you are, Pumpy.
Good point. I haven't played much Arena Football lately because of other games, but I love the online play too much to let it go. Perhaps I'll get to play MLB '06 someday.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #259
Philliesfan980
Banned

Well guys, just bought the game & system (and a new laptop!). Thanks for all the good impressions!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #260
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well guys, just bought the game & system (and a new laptop!). Thanks for all the good impressions!

Should we let you in on the joke?

This game is utter.............

FUN!

I bet the Circuit City employee who waited on you was very happy you walked through those doors tonight.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #261
SegRat
High School Varsity

Finally after really struggling in my third season I had a break through game. Pitched 4.2 innings, gave up 3 hits, no runs, no earned runs, no walks, and 9 strikeouts. I was on fire!!!

I love this game. By far the best console game I have played in years.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #262
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
Finally after really struggling in my third season I had a break through game. Pitched 4.2 innings, gave up 3 hits, no runs, no earned runs, no walks, and 9 strikeouts. I was on fire!!!

I love this game. By far the best console game I have played in years.

I'm going to have to break down and try the career mode, damn you guys!!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #263
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I'm going to have to break down and try the career mode, damn you guys!!

The following is being played in rookie mode.

I started my player carrer as a 21 yr old prospect catcher.
After spring training with the Phillies, I'm offered a contract.
I spend the 1st season in AAA. a not bad season.
Next season, Phillies offer another 1 yr deal, I ride the bus between AAA and ML. An ok season.
Released by the Phillies, I decided not to sign with the Phillies, I instead go to ST as non-roster invitee.
I have a terrific spring. Phils offer a 2 yr deal, I accept. Begin season again in AAA, but luck out after injury to Liberthal. I immediately start, but with not so great numbers, coach has confidence and keeps me in. I start to come around, but Liberthal is healthy now, back to AAA I go. OK, good experience, I'll build on it for next season.

Yr 2 of deal.
Its AAA again, but Liberthal is traded around mid-season for prospects, I'm brought up. Finally, my chance to shine!
I put up much better numbers than previous stint, finish the season batting .286, 20 HRs, 60 RBIs, good numbers I say, coaches say I could do better. Tough team to satify I guess.

Following season, Phils offer a 3 yr deal. Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Yankees, and RedSox are also interested. Yanks and RSoxs offering 2 yr deals. Phils, LA,SF, and Indians offering 3 yr deals. I chose the Phils, as they are offering more money, plus I know I'm going to be starting.

In my 3 yrs with the Phils, I'm averaging .290 80 Hrs 305 rbi. I'm performing, but the team finishes either 3rd or last in my time with them.
I sign again, but only for 1 season, I'll give them 1 last chance to show me something. The team begins with a 2-13 record. I call a team meeting, ok response I guess. Next 10 games, 1-9, now I complain, I ask to be traded, this is what I get, "No way, you're our best player, forget about it." Complain some more, to the point that finally, I get released mid-season. T.O style I guess.
I sit out the rest of the season. 4 teams are interested next season, A's, Mariners, Indians, and Yankees. I sign with the A's, this would be a great move as it turns out. I have a monster season, I bat .335, 52 HRs, 132 RBIs.
The A's go on to win the Division and LC. Low and behold, who do the A's play in the WS? The Phillies!?!? I say , Oh yeah! My time to get back at them!
We crush the Phils in 4 games, I'm named WS MVP. Take that Phillies!

Next season, the A's offer a 6 yr deal, I immediatedly accept.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #264
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

My 7 yrs with the A's, 4 WS titles, and a host of performance awards and other accolades.

I decide not to come back to the A's as the team has been in a decline. I sign with the Marlins. I have a sub-par 1st season, but bounce back with a .310 ba, 46 hrs, 115 rbis, and WS title for the Marlins. I now consider myself a hired bat, as I'm now playing for the Padres.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #265
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

I just rented this game two days ago and haven't been able to stop playing it. I really like it.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #266
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky
The following is being played in rookie mode.

I started my player carrer as a 21 yr old prospect catcher.
After spring training with the Phillies, I'm offered a contract.
I spend the 1st season in AAA. a not bad season.
Next season, Phillies offer another 1 yr deal, I ride the bus between AAA and ML. An ok season.
Released by the Phillies, I decided not to sign with the Phillies, I instead go to ST as non-roster invitee.
I have a terrific spring. Phils offer a 2 yr deal, I accept. Begin season again in AAA, but luck out after injury to Liberthal. I immediately start, but with not so great numbers, coach has confidence and keeps me in. I start to come around, but Liberthal is healthy now, back to AAA I go. OK, good experience, I'll build on it for next season.

Yr 2 of deal.
Its AAA again, but Liberthal is traded around mid-season for prospects, I'm brought up. Finally, my chance to shine!
I put up much better numbers than previous stint, finish the season batting .286, 20 HRs, 60 RBIs, good numbers I say, coaches say I could do better. Tough team to satify I guess.

Following season, Phils offer a 3 yr deal. Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Yankees, and RedSox are also interested. Yanks and RSoxs offering 2 yr deals. Phils, LA,SF, and Indians offering 3 yr deals. I chose the Phils, as they are offering more money, plus I know I'm going to be starting.

In my 3 yrs with the Phils, I'm averaging .290 80 Hrs 305 rbi. I'm performing, but the team finishes either 3rd or last in my time with them.
I sign again, but only for 1 season, I'll give them 1 last chance to show me something. The team begins with a 2-13 record. I call a team meeting, ok response I guess. Next 10 games, 1-9, now I complain, I ask to be traded, this is what I get, "No way, you're our best player, forget about it." Complain some more, to the point that finally, I get released mid-season. T.O style I guess.
I sit out the rest of the season. 4 teams are interested next season, A's, Mariners, Indians, and Yankees. I sign with the A's, this would be a great move as it turns out. I have a monster season, I bat .335, 52 HRs, 132 RBIs.
The A's go on to win the Division and LC. Low and behold, who do the A's play in the WS? The Phillies!?!? I say , Oh yeah! My time to get back at them!
We crush the Phils in 4 games, I'm named WS MVP. Take that Phillies!

Next season, the A's offer a 6 yr deal, I immediatedly accept.

Wow, they released you midseason. That's a new one. I've always wanted to see if I could engineer a trade. My contract with the Cards is huge, so I guess I'm a hard person to move. But I started a new career for a friend and he's with the Orioles, so maybe we'll try that.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #267
Izulde
Head Coach

The most exciting part about getting back from Spring Break is that I get to play my pitcher's career some more.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #268
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well, I just bought the PSP and the game - charging the PSP now. Being portable, I'll get to play all the time rather than after the kids bedtime and before my wifes. Most expensive game ever
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #269
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Well, I just bought the PSP and the game - charging the PSP now. Being portable, I'll get to play all the time rather than after the kids bedtime and before my wifes. Most expensive game ever
And you will love it
Old 03-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #270
Icy
Pro Starter

I have ended my first season as Pitcher in Veteran level. It was just an average season, i ended 6-8 with a 4.83 ERA in AA for the Phillies. They released me at the end of the season (weird when the manager and team mates happyness was maxed) and then they offered me a new contract, i signed and now i'm the 5th man in the AAA rotation.

The season as pitcher is way slower than as hitter as you have lots of appearances, every 5 days as SP and from time to time as Closer or Reliever. Loving it so far

Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #271
Coder
College Prospect

I guess that with this being a Sony-title, I bet we'll never see a port to the boxes? (i.e. Xbox classic or 360)...

Too bad, I can't justify buying an "old generation" console since I have the box at the moment, and if I'm getting a next gen it's going to be a 360... but the game just sounds EXACTLY what I've been wanting since the first FIFA was released back in the early 90s. Doesn't matter the sport.. This is EXACTLy the kind of career mode I've been wanting for a console sports game.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll be getting a 360 with Ghost Recon and then get Top Spin 2 in April.. but a game like "The Show" would be the only game I'd feel perfectly comfortable with splashing out $90 for "just" a game.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #272
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I have ended my first season as Pitcher in Veteran level. It was just an average season, i ended 6-8 with a 4.83 ERA in AA for the Phillies. They released me at the end of the season (weird when the manager and team mates happyness was maxed) and then they offered me a new contract, i signed and now i'm the 5th man in the AAA rotation.

The season as pitcher is way slower than as hitter as you have lots of appearances, every 5 days as SP and from time to time as Closer or Reliever. Loving it so far

I'll have to try to pitcher thing next.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #273
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
I guess that with this being a Sony-title, I bet we'll never see a port to the boxes? (i.e. Xbox classic or 360)...

Too bad, I can't justify buying an "old generation" console since I have the box at the moment, and if I'm getting a next gen it's going to be a 360... but the game just sounds EXACTLY what I've been wanting since the first FIFA was released back in the early 90s. Doesn't matter the sport.. This is EXACTLy the kind of career mode I've been wanting for a console sports game.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll be getting a 360 with Ghost Recon and then get Top Spin 2 in April.. but a game like "The Show" would be the only game I'd feel perfectly comfortable with splashing out $90 for "just" a game.

As I understand it they cannot port it. Due to the MLB licenseing they can only make a game for their own console. Take Two are the only ones that can make an MLB game that crosses platforms.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #274
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
As I understand it they cannot port it. Due to the MLB licenseing they can only make a game for their own console. Take Two are the only ones that can make an MLB game that crosses platforms.

Thanks, well hopefully more companies will catch on to the "single-player" careermode... EA are at least trying it with their later titles.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #275
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Thanks, well hopefully more companies will catch on to the "single-player" careermode... EA are at least trying it with their later titles.

Yes, but it's really stupid how they are doing it, as you need to control all the players in NFL superstar mode for example, if i play a career game as RB, i only want to control my RB not the QB, WRs etc.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #276
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed

They would NEVER port it, it's made by Sony for the Sony playstation 2 only and next year for both, I would assume.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-19-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #277
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy

That will be my career start, a hard throwing lefty from St. Charles, Missouri. Can I wear the birds on the bat? Will my feelings get hurt and I opt to play for the rival Cubbies?
Old 03-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #278
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
That will be my career start, a hard throwing lefty from St. Charles, Missouri. Can I wear the birds on the bat? Will my feelings get hurt and I opt to play for the rival Cubbies?

Exactly what i am, i set myself as leftie and maxed my fastball speed while i'm not that good throwing other pitches.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #279
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Exactly what i am, i set myself as leftie and maxed my fastball speed while i'm not that good throwing other pitches.

I can't believe how much fun this is. I set the fielding to auto so it's great to be pitching in spring training with that Cardinals defense behind me.

With that being said, I stink and the Orioles are teeing off on me. I had to turn the game off because I could sit there all night and play career mode.

Thanks for all the impressions, as franchise was all I was going to try. This might be the most fun I've had in a video game in quite some time and something I thought I wouldn't like.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #280
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I literally can't help but play the career mode all the time. It's nuts. Now I've got two different career going and so, it's insane to try and get the player into a regular starting job. It's my friend now, he's in his 3rd season after 2 years with the Orioles, playing just about 30 games in the majors and mostly in AAA otherwise.

Now, he's with the Marlins and after a month, they called him up. I demaned more playing time and they gave it to him. So now it's put up or shutup time. It's a 2-year deal, but he's mostly a singles hitter, who does a good job batting in runs, but he's not fast and his defense is spotty. So maybe I might just let the demote him again, so I can get his defense up to par and he can start all next season.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #281
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Crap, played my first spring training as a pitcher on the O's and had a 9+ ERA. Received no contract offer. Am I just destined to sim to next appearance and that appearance may be next year (if ever?!). C'mon, I'm 37 - I'm the feel-good story of the year!
how do you know?

Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #282
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Crap, played my first spring training as a pitcher on the O's and had a 9+ ERA. Received no contract offer. Am I just destined to sim to next appearance and that appearance may be next year (if ever?!). C'mon, I'm 37 - I'm the feel-good story of the year!

hahaha..Disney isn't in this game, pal.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #283
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

LaRussa said I looked good, but Walt didn't even offer me a minor league contract. I sat out the whole season while the Yankees beat Houston 4-1 in the World Series. Next season rolls around and my phone rings 4 times.

Kansas City
Texas
Atlanta
Cincinnati

all offer me 1yr/$30,000 contracts. Now I have that, "I'll show them" attitude and I accept the contract to play for the Kansas City Royals AA team. Never thought I'd be in the AL, let alone the Royals farm club to start my career.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #284
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
LaRussa said I looked good, but Walt didn't even offer me a minor league contract. I sat out the whole season while the Yankees beat Houston 4-1 in the World Series. Next season rolls around and my phone rings 4 times.

Kansas City
Texas
Atlanta
Cincinnati

all offer me 1yr/$30,000 contracts. Now I have that, "I'll show them" attitude and I accept the contract to play for the Kansas City Royals AA team. Never thought I'd be in the AL, let alone the Royals farm club to start my career.

While I'm fucking pissed at the non-functional replacement remote, I have to say it's damn cool that it's possible not to get any contract out of ST.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #285
jbmagic
Pro Starter

When you guys have time, give Manager Mode a try too.

Its very fun. There is so many options to choose from for being a manager and you can watch the game being played live.

There is real graphic and not text mode like MVP does Manager mode.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 AM   #286
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can't believe how much fun this is. I set the fielding to auto so it's great to be pitching in spring training with that Cardinals defense behind me.

With that being said, I stink and the Orioles are teeing off on me. I had to turn the game off because I could sit there all night and play career mode.

Thanks for all the impressions, as franchise was all I was going to try. This might be the most fun I've had in a video game in quite some time and something I thought I wouldn't like.

I'm playing that way too, setting the fielding on Auto so i only manage my pitcher, it's fun this way, i really enjoy the suspense when a high ball flies to my OF and i always wonder if he will drop it (i have errors on +1 and i see some from time to time).

One think i might need to bump is CPU power, i have it on +1 and i gave up only 2HR in the whole season in AA. I give up doubles and triples as soon as i make a pitching mistake, but not HR's.

Last edited by Icy : 03-20-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #287
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Good grief, that's definitely not a "problem" with me. I may have over-stamina'ed myself, because I get rocked every appearance. My second year (after getting no offer from the O's and sitting out the year) was just like my first - I got to pick which team's spring training to go to. I accidentally picked the Rockies and I'm getting annihilated with them as well.

I may need to start over. Somehow 37 year old, 5'8", 170lb pitchers with a lot of stamina don't seem to light the major leagues on fire.
how do you know?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #288
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good grief, that's definitely not a "problem" with me. I may have over-stamina'ed myself, because I get rocked every appearance. My second year (after getting no offer from the O's and sitting out the year) was just like my first - I got to pick which team's spring training to go to. I accidentally picked the Rockies and I'm getting annihilated with them as well.

I may need to start over. Somehow 37 year old, 5'8", 170lb pitchers with a lot of stamina don't seem to light the major leagues on fire.

At least you can take quite a beating
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #289
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm a real innings-eater, as long as you don't mind the 9.34 ERA attached
how do you know?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #290
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I'm playing that way too, setting the fielding on Auto so i only manage my pitcher, it's fun this way, i really enjoy the suspense when a high ball flies to my OF and i always wonder if he will drop it (i have errors on +1 and i see some from time to time).

One think i might need to bump is CPU power, i have it on +1 and i gave up only 2HR in the whole season in AA. I give up doubles and triples as soon as i make a pitching mistake, but not HR's.

Yeah, I haven't given up a HR yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting rocked and the AA ballpark I play in is friggin huge, but I would think a HR here and there - especially when pitching in spring training.

I think I'm going to get the eye toy out tonight and really put myself in the game. This time I'm going to start out with 2-3 pitches and go from there. I might even start out on All Star this time to see if the HR's start coming.

You know, it might also be a good dynasty to write.... as far as I can tell, it's really well done. The stats from the first season seem pretty decent as far as the Majors go. I think ERA is a tad high, but a quick glance seemed to see the stats look believeable.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #291
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I created (a younger version) of myself as a first baseman. Pretty good hitter, horrible defender. Was offered the standard one year, 30k contract by the Braves, and headed out to Triple AAA. In the first six weeks, I hit .380 with 7 home runs and 38 RBI. Asked for a call-up and got it. I've been with the major league team for about two weeks, and am hitting about .350 right now. No home runs yet, a smattering of doubles and one triple.

I've been playing on rookie, but I think I'm about to move up to Veteran.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #292
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
I created (a younger version) of myself as a first baseman. Pretty good hitter, horrible defender. Was offered the standard one year, 30k contract by the Braves, and headed out to Triple AAA. In the first six weeks, I hit .380 with 7 home runs and 38 RBI. Asked for a call-up and got it. I've been with the major league team for about two weeks, and am hitting about .350 right now. No home runs yet, a smattering of doubles and one triple.

I've been playing on rookie, but I think I'm about to move up to Veteran.

How many errors?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #293
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

So, created myself...a 31 year-old, out of shape, slow, 1B/3B type of guy and started out with the A's. After a couple of months in AAA, I was among the league leaders in most offensive categories and naturally requested a callup towards the end of June...and low and behold, my wish was granted. It took a couple of games before I saw any action with the A's but as my first start drew nearer, the hair on the back of my neck started to stand up. Batting 8th and playing thirdbase...woohoo!!! First time up was against Santana in Anaheim and he struck me out on a 2-2 fastball in on the hands...oh well!!! But, the next time around, I would rip that same fastball into right for a solid single...my first MLB hit. I would pick up another hit later in the game, but nothing will measure up to that first one.

Anyways, I got a couple more starts as July rolled on and before I knew it, the All Star break was approaching. I was hitting .571 in a handful of games and all of a sudden I get the call that I'm heading back to AAA. Huh?? Did I not do enough?? Didn't make any errors and I hit the cover off of the ball and I'm getting sent down!! Sheesh.

So, with two days off, figured I'd check out the AAA All Star game...I was a little surprised I wasn't on the team seeing as I was still all over the leaderboards...oh well. So, I thought I'd watch the game anyways, maybe cheer on any teammates that may have made it. So, clicked the watch game button and...............nothing. It just sat there. I could fast forward through songs and hit Select to see the help menu, but that's all that worked. I waited for a couple of minutes just in case something was going on in the background. I eventually had to reset my PS2...ARGH!!!!

So, my first MLB hit is no longer and when, or if, I do get another shot, there will be an asterisk on my second first hit baseball.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #294
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Been playing the PSP version extensively, and I've noticed a few other things missing from this version, but it's mostly just eye candy.

- No umpires. This was weird at first.
- No coaches or players in the dugout.
- When batting, the strike zone disappears right before the pitch is thrown. It's a little distracting for me as I use it on the PS2 version to help me determine if the incoming pitch is a strike or not. I'm getting used to it now, so it's not a big deal.
- The incoming pitch is much harder to see - again, I'm getting used to it as I play more.
- No pitchers warming up in the bullpen. They warm up, but there's no graphic of them throwing.
- In between innings, the graphic is always the same - it shows the next three batters and the linescore. On the PS2 you sometimes see only current Runs, Hits and Errors while the batter talks to the first base coach. Just a slightly less varied in-between innings transition - again, no big deal.

That's all I can remember at this point. Happily, I'm not noticing any eye strain that Todd or EaglesFan27 seemed to have when playing on the PSP. Really, it's a hot little game system and the fact that I can bring it with me during the day - play a little while making dinner, play at night without disturbing anyone, etc. - is great. I'm looking forward to my first business trip .
how do you know?

Old 03-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #295
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Dola - this game would also be fun to just have on in the background in a CPU vs. CPU mode while you're focused on something else. Almost like listening to a radio broadcast on a hot summer day. I used to do this with NCAA 2006 all the time.
how do you know?

Old 03-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #296
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I have a couple questions both around the same topic:

1. How long on average does it take to play out a full 9 inning game

a) When you control the whole game (Franchise mode, pitch, play defense and bat for all players)?

b) In Career mode when you use fast forward (or whatever it is called) just to do your players at bats/pitching outings?

2. Also could you speak to load times for these modes as well?

Thanks
nilodor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #297
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

NEED MONEY
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #298
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor

a) When you control the whole game (Franchise mode, pitch, play defense and bat for all players)?

b) In Career mode when you use fast forward (or whatever it is called) just to do your players at bats/pitching outings?

Thanks

Load times aren't bad. Sometimes there is a slight lag (on PSP, this is..) but it's all good.

I don't control the whole game, because I like to just be one player and let the team do the rest -- in career mode.

I actually haven't gotten past career mode yet. Which NEVER happens for me. But that's how it is in this one. I havent' tried a season to micromanage things yet. And I love to do that, but...just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #299
SegRat
High School Varsity

This game is crazy. In my third year I got called up to play for the Reds, unfortunatley I didnt get to play and was sent back down to AAA. Then I get rocked giving up 4, 5, and finally 7 runs in 3 games. Not good at all. The Reds must be saying thank god we didnt play him.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #300
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Without using fast play, about 45 mins to 1 hr if you let all the cutscenes go, which I do.
See above
Yes, which is maybe the best feature about career mode, I love this.
Well for ps2, not much.. maybe 15-20 secs while the park loads.
Thanks