Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #251
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Funny, I keep saying the same thing about Teddy Kennedy.

What, you want a cookie or something?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #252
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It seemed that the dems had the more sound arguement last night on c-span. The Republicans just went into Party platform mode. Doesnt the bill create a constitutinal crisis though?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #253
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
The law does not allow her any other way to die, other than to be assisted indefinitely (until her organs fail). If there were any other way to legally do it, I'm sure those options would have been considered. Don't you? Starvation is not a choice that was made, it was the only choice offered.

Why not let the husband put a couple of bullets in her head? It might be a little more messy than letting her starve to death, but it would achieve the same goal much more quickly.

Besides, who wouldn't consider such an act a bonafide "mercy killing?"
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #254
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I don't have a lot to add about the substance of this issue -- but the politics of it fascinate me.

As nearly as I can tell, this is a matter about which reasonable people might be very conflicted. "Right to die" issues are complicated enough, but this particular story -- as best as I understand it, and I have made no special effort to educate myself, I confess -- seems even more troubling. The medical perspective is either ambiguous or is being painted that way -- whether she actually retains any degree of consciousness is perhaps up for debate. And the trail back to her own wishes, if that's what we'd want to follow, is regrettably not as clear as we'd like. Further, the current involvement of the federal government is potentially troubling as a matter of state's rights, or at least some would argue as much.

You would think that with so much to consider... so many complicated issues to try to weigh... that people would be all over the place on this. People's faith, perhaps their own life situations, any number of things ought to guide them in reaching a conclusion about what is the best ting to do here. This just seems to me like a classic case of "you're on your own with this one."

But what do we see instead? Almost perfect allegiance to pre-ordained party positions. Republicans screech that she must be saved, make every effort to deny evidence about what her actual wishes may have been, and are enthusiastic to buy all the innuendo about the husband, and in Congress, the GOP is basicaly in lock-step. Democrats, on the other hand, cry foul over any intrusion of her family (as if there is no place at all for their wishes or beliefs to even be considered), claim that Terri's wishes are all that matters even in the face of all the apparent blurriness in this case (which they prefer to ignore), and in Congress they line up to oppose the delaying measure.

I am generally worried about top-down thinking in politics -- people who decide their opinion on political issues based on what their party says, rather than the other way around. I worry even more about people starting to make similar judgments about matters of fact, rather than opinion. This particular issue might mark an example of yet another level of this -- when the matter becomes more complicated, people just decide not to give it any thought, and instead decide to delegate their thinking to the people they have decided to support politically. I hate to be guilty of the much-maligned "slippery slope" argument here... but this sure seems like one.

I, myself, am a pretty strong supporter of the principle of the "right to die." This particular case poses a challenge to those beliefs, in my mind -- maybe I'm just falling for claptrap spouted by those who are trying to make this case harder than it really is, that remains a possibility. But I am rather unnerved by those who seem to have etched this whole issue out so clearly, and so in keeping with their previous political disposition, that there's no room at all to even hear what someone else has to say.

It's a complex issue. Too bad the rhetoric seems basically the same as on everything else.

Just wanted to give props to a good post here.

Not so much on this matter, but on many others, I find myself slipping into the "I am against whatever the neoconservatives are for and vice versa" trap. It's easy to do, and something against which I need to fight.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #255
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I'm am curious, how many times can we take something to court? I know you can keep going up all the way to the US Supreme Court to appeal a lower court decision, after that, your out of luck, correct?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #256
Flasch186
Coordinator

i am not trying to sound insensitive but if they remove her feeding tube...do they have to like bring out a plate of food, in a just in case, kind of scenario. What if by some crazy twist of fate, she could feed herself at some point but the food isnt there? I dunno....its a weird situation I hope no one has to be in.

I DO NOT LIKE Congress getting involved or any Pol. for that matter in this, but my brain is getting kind of twisted in this.

I'm going to shut it down now as Im not sure how I feel about this, today.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #257
Klinglerware
College Starter

Well, it's a good thing for Republicans that Terri Schiavo isn't from TEXAS.

-----
George W. Bush signed a law in Texas that expressly gave hospitals the right to remove life support if the patient could not pay and there was no hope of revival, regardless of the patient's family's wishes. It is called the Texas Futile Care Law. Under this law, a baby was removed from life support against his mother's wishes in Texas just this week. A 68 year old man was given a temporary reprieve by the Texas courts just yesterday.

-----

Baby born with fatal defect dies after removal from life support
By LEIGH HOPPER
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The baby wore a cute blue outfit with a teddy bear covering his bottom. The 17-pound, 6-month-old boy wiggled with eyes open and smacked his lips, according to his mother.

Then at 2 p.m. today, a medical staffer at Texas Children's Hospital gently removed the breathing tube that had kept Sun Hudson alive since his Sept. 25 birth. Cradled by his mother, he took a few breaths, and died.

"I talked to him, I told him that I loved him. Inside of me, my son is still alive," Wanda Hudson told reporters afterward. "This hospital was considered a miracle hospital. When it came to my son, they gave up in six months .... They made a terrible mistake."

Sun's death marks the first time a hospital has been allowed by a U.S. judge to discontinue an infant's life-sustaining care against a parent's wishes, according to bioethical experts. A similar case involving a 68-year-old man in a chronic vegetative state at another Houston hospital is before a court now.

"This isn't murder. It's mercy and it's appropriate to be merciful in that way. It's not killing, it's stopping pointless treatment," said William Winslade, a bioethicist and lawyer who is a professor at the Institute for the Medical Humanities at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. "It's sad this (Sun Hudson case) dragged on for so long. It's always sad when an infant dies. We all feel it's unfair, that a child doesn't have a chance to develop and thrive."

The hospital's description of Sun — that he was motionless and sedated for comfort — has differed sharply from the mother's. Since February, the hospital has blocked the media from accepting Hudson's invitation to see the baby in the neonatal intensive care unit, citing patient privacy concerns.

"I wanted y'all to see my son for yourself," Hudson told reporters. "So you could see he was actually moving around. He was conscious."

On Feb. 16, Harris County Probate Court Judge William C. McCulloch made the landmark decision to lift restrictions preventing Texas Children's from discontinuing care. However, an emergency appeal by Hudson's attorney, Mario Caballero, and a procedural error on McCulloch's part prevented the hospital from acting for four more weeks.

Texas law allows hospitals can discontinue life sustaining care, even if patient family members disagree. A doctor's recommendation must be approved by a hospital's ethics committee, and the family must be given 10 days from written notice of the decision to try and locate another facility for the patient.

Texas Children's said it contacted 40 facilities with newborn intensive care units, but none would accept Sun. Without legal delays, Sun's care would have ended Nov. 28.

Sun was born with a fatal form of dwarfism characterized by short arms, short legs and lungs too tiny to sustain his body, doctors said. Nearly all babies born with the incurable condition, often diagnosed in utero, die shortly after birth, genetic counselors say.

Sun was delivered full-term at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, but Hudson, 33, said she had no prenatal care during which his condition might have been discovered. He was put on a ventilator while doctors figured out what was wrong with him, and Hudson refused when doctors recommending withdrawing treatment.

"From the time Sun was born ... he was on life support because his chest cavity and lungs could not grow and develop the capacity to support his body. He was slowly suffocating to death," Texas Children's said in a statement today.

Texas Children's contended that continuing care for Sun was medically inappropriate, prolonged suffering and violated physician ethics. Hudson argued her son just needed more time to grow and be weaned from the ventilator.

Another case involving a patient on life support — a 68-year man in a chronic vegetative state whose family wants to stop St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital from turning off his ventilator — was supposed to be heard today by the Houston-based 1st Court of Appeals.

But in a procedural switch, the case was transferred today to the 14th Court of Appeals, which promptly issued a temporary injunction ordering St. Luke's not to remove the man's life support, much as the 1st Court did Saturday. No hearing date has been set.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 03-21-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #258
Flasch186
Coordinator

its definitely hypocritical no doubt.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #259
Klinglerware
College Starter

Yeah, it sounds like the operative phrase in that Texas law is "could not pay". It's just crazy that the Republicans are supporting futile care for Schiavo when they are also trying to take away the very streams of support families need in this situation:

- the cutting of Medicaid funding (this is how Schiavo's care will be presumably paid
for if the tube stays in)
- pushing tort reform that would cut the malpractice awards (like the one that is
providing for Schiavo's care right now)
- passing the bankruptcy bill that will make it nearly impossible for families to start
fresh from the crushing medical bills they face

As for the case itself, I can certainly see where the debate comes from. The removal of a feeding tube is certainly not the most humane solution to this case. But the naked politicking on the part of the Republicans, especially when their position is built on a foundation of hypocrisy, is just disgusting and outrageous...
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #260
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
I'm am curious, how many times can we take something to court? I know you can keep going up all the way to the US Supreme Court to appeal a lower court decision, after that, your out of luck, correct?

This case is a special because of the bills/laws that Congress passed/is passing/will pass. I really don't know all the ins and outs of how the recent legislation changes things.

But, generally, here is a quick primer. There are some exceptions to that which I am about to lay out, but I am trying to keep it simple.

If your case involves federal law, you can bring it in state or federal court. If you bring it in federal court, then the trial court (federal district court) hears it first. Then you have an appeal of right to an intermediate appellate court (circuit court of appeals. This is what the infamous 9th Circuit is). That court HAS to hear your appeal if you take it. Then you can apply for discretionary review in the Supreme Court. They don't have to hear your case. Once 1.) The time for asking the Supreme Court to hear your case is over, or 2.) The Supreme Court says that it won't hear your case, or 3.) The Supreme Court hears your case and makes a decision, then your case is "Final."

If you bring your federal law case in state court, then the process goes State trial court--->State intermediate court of appeals-->state supreme Court-->U.S. Supreme Court. Once 1.) The time for asking the Supreme Court to hear your case is over, or 2.) The Supreme Court says that it won't hear your case, or 3.) The Supreme Court hears your case and makes a decision, then your case is "Final."

If your case involves only state law, then the process goes State trial court--->State intermediate court of appeals-->state supreme Court. The U.S. Supreme Court CANNOT hear issues of state law (be careful, though. It CAN hear the argument that a state law violates the Constitution or Federal Law. That is considered a federal law case).

Once you go through the above process and have a "final" judgement, the full faith and credit clause to the constitution prevents someone from going to another court to relitigate the same issues. If I have a final judgment from Mississippi, then you cannot go to Nebraska to get it overturned. The 50 states and the feds all respect each others decisions. If they did not, people would go from court to court suing until they got a good decision.

Finally, there is some complexity as to what the final judgement contains. Basically, a final judgment from a court systems precludes litigation of any other issues related to the same "nucleus of operative fact." This gets hard in a hurry, and its probably best to leave it with your gut instinct.

Oh, and there are some methods for reopening "final" cases, but they are used rarely and generally only for things like one of the parties hiding evidence from another party and the fraud was not discovered until after trial.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #261
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This site seems to be a good, balanced page, that gives the facts of the case from the beginning, and doesn't favor one side or the other. It's almost like a "snopes", in that it addresses alot of the questions, rumors, and other stuff going around. I found some new info in there I hadn't heard before.

hxxp://abstractappeal.com/schiavo/infopage.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #262
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Why not let the husband put a couple of bullets in her head? It might be a little more messy than letting her starve to death, but it would achieve the same goal much more quickly.

Besides, who wouldn't consider such an act a bonafide "mercy killing?"

Where did you hear the rumor that the husband might've been involved. Considering your other comments I wonder if it wasn't "fair and balanced" or perhaps just fit in nicely with your deck of cards.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #263
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I'm late to the fray here and I'm sure this probably was brought up in one of the past 261 threads but why is it so important for Terri to die?

Her parents are willing to take care of her, people have offered money to help pay for her care (and to her husband if he'll just go away) and the husband has obviously moved on by fathering children with another woman. So I guess the question I have is what I stated first - why is it important that she dies?

I read the beginning of the thread and it seems there's the usual expected backlash against the republicans for abusing power and the religious for wanting life preserved and I'm all for the gov staying out of personal affairs but why should her husband get to decide she dies when her family is willing to take care of her?

The husband does not strike me as sincere - his wife is alive - despite the fact that she can only be fed with a tube or perform many other functions, she is alive. She breathes on her own, she responds to people and she can make noises like laughing. She's not the same woman he married but she is alive and they are married yet he went out and started a new relationship and had children with another woman.

He has moved on with his life - he obviously no longer sees Terri as his wife if he's with another woman so why not just let someone who does want her alive and does want to care for her take care of her? I'm not saying he should have to stay and take care of her in this state for the rest of her life and not live his own life - that's his own choice to make but he's chosen to move on and live his life - why should he have any stake in what happens to Terri now? Why should Terri have to die now when there are people willing to care for her and pay for that care?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #264
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
I'm late to the fray here and I'm sure this probably was brought up in one of the past 261 threads but why is it so important for Terri to die?

Her parents are willing to take care of her, people have offered money to help pay for her care (and to her husband if he'll just go away) and the husband has obviously moved on by fathering children with another woman. So I guess the question I have is what I stated first - why is it important that she dies?

I read the beginning of the thread and it seems there's the usual expected backlash against the republicans for abusing power and the religious for wanting life preserved and I'm all for the gov staying out of personal affairs but why should her husband get to decide she dies when her family is willing to take care of her?

The husband does not strike me as sincere - his wife is alive - despite the fact that she can only be fed with a tube or perform many other functions, she is alive. She breathes on her own, she responds to people and she can make noises like laughing. She's not the same woman he married but she is alive and they are married yet he went out and started a new relationship and had children with another woman.

He has moved on with his life - he obviously no longer sees Terri as his wife if he's with another woman so why not just let someone who does want her alive and does want to care for her take care of her? I'm not saying he should have to stay and take care of her in this state for the rest of her life and not live his own life - that's his own choice to make but he's chosen to move on and live his life - why should he have any stake in what happens to Terri now? Why should Terri have to die now when there are people willing to care for her and pay for that care?

Well, therein lies the problem. It's not important that she die, it's important her wishes are carried out. Plenty of judges have heard from both sides and decided that her husband does represent her wishes, and not her parents. Independent doctors have also testified that there is so direct response to people, places, etc...You just have anecdotal evidence that her parents tell you she laughs when they say things, etc. If you read the NIH definition of persistive vegatative state, it says somewhere that there can be lower brain functions, like laughing, reaction to light, etc., but these are not necessarily in direct response to a given stimulus (something to that effect).

So it's not important that she die, per se, it's just important that an individual's wishes are respected when just about all courts decide based on presented evidence that those were said individual wishes. Whatever her family said, the courts decided that they did not represent her true wishes. Whether or not he moved on is of no concern. It doesn't affect what he wants, as he could continue to move on if she were just sitting in a hospital for the next 40 years. People are only using this as a way to vilify him to support their positions. To me, the fact that he's spent so much time and money on pursuing this influences me in the other direction, that he really does care about her wishes.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #265
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Gary, you want to control how people die, and now you want to control how they live as well ? 11 times a court has rules that he represents her wishes- why is that point so hard to get across ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #266
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sorry if this comes off as rude Gary, but have you read this thread at all? Your questions have been answered multiple times.

To summarize, the husband is acting on what he says were his wife's wishes to not remain living in such an incapacitated state. As for the talk of her "responsiveness", that's in serious doubt and not supported by independent court-appointed doctors. What is being described (and likely exaggerated) by her family is standard random activity and not evidence of any higher-level brain function.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #267
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Gary, you want to control how people die, and now you want to control how they live as well ? 11 times a court has rules that he represents her wishes- why is that point so hard to get across ?

What do you mean I want to control how people die or live? I believe that human life is the most precious thing on this earth - Terri is alive and her being kept alive is not going to hurt anyone. Her husband doesn't have to care for her or pay for her care - there are people willing to do that and just allow him to move on with his life and never have to worry about it again. It's not like she has been in a coma for 15 years. She may need a great deal of care but she is still alive.

You can line up 100 courts and to me what they say is irrelevant IMO in this case. Terri's wishes are not known. I agree with the others that have said this is the prime example for having a living will - but there was none so we do not know Terri's wishes. We know what her family says and we know what her husband says.

What if her husband is lying? What if she made an off the cuff remark 20 years ago to the effect of not wanting to be kept alive if something were to happen to her but wasn't serious? What if she's fought to stay alive for 15 years like this and feels that she still wants to live?

Look, I'm not saying that the court should force her husband to stay with her, incur all medical bills and basically ruin him financially just so she can live. If the husband wants nothing to do with her, fine. But as long as she has people who are willing to pay for her to remain alive then what's the problem? If there's a living will, concrete evidence, that she does not want to be kept alive in a situation like this then I say fine, that's her decision. But we don't know her decision and I feel that in that case, since there are people willing to pay for her care and that the burden for that is not falling on anyone who doesn't want that burden, then what's the harm in keeping her alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Sorry if this comes off as rude Gary, but have you read this thread at all?

Quote:
I'm late to the fray here and I'm sure this probably was brought up in one of the past 261 threads

No, I did not read 261 posts looking to see if what I said was posted. I was simply looking to join the discussion now.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #268
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
But as long as she has people who are willing to pay for her to remain alive then what's the problem?

But what if there isn't anybody willing or able to pay? That's a real issue for other families without the fame of the Schiavos...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #269
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
No, I did not read 261 posts looking to see if what I said was posted. I was simply looking to join the discussion now.

Hi Gary,

Here is a good website that has the facts, and only the facts about the case. It doesn't favor one side or the other. It addresses many of the questions and/or concerns you mentioned.

hxxp://abstractappeal.com/schiavo/infopage.html
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #270
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But we don't know her decision and I feel that in that case, since there are people willing to pay for her care and that the burden for that is not falling on anyone who doesn't want that burden, then what's the harm in keeping her alive?

The harm is that, as far as anyone knows, it was not her wish to be kept in this state. You talk as if there's no harm in keeping her alive so long as someone can foot the bill; what about the harm to Terri herself? How do you know that her continued existence isn't torture for her?

Quote:

Well, maybe you should read up before you jump in to a conversation this late.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #271
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
But what if there isn't anybody willing or able to pay? That's a real issue for other families without the fame of the Schiavos...

Well that's a different story - I'm not after socialized healthcare and let's tax people to death in order to keep people alive as long as possible. Its unfortunate but there are many people in our country that cannot afford treatments for their illnesses and that really sucks but you can't force people to pay for other people's care.

In this case there are willing caretakers and people willing to put up the money for that care. As long as those exist then why should she have to die when nobody knows for sure what her true wishes are? That's my only point here.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 03-21-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #272
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
The harm is that, as far as anyone knows, it was not her wish to be kept in this state. You talk as if there's no harm in keeping her alive so long as someone can foot the bill; what about the harm to Terri herself? How do you know that her continued existence isn't torture for her?

There's your problem - nobody knows what she wanted. How do you know she doesn't cherish each day she wakes up now? How do you know that she doesn't desperately want to communicate to the world that she wants to live? Nobody knows so why not error on the side of caution? She's lived like this for 15 years - maybe she has resigned herself to the fact that this is her life now and she cherishes the fact that she has life.

She might not want to live but I think that if she didn't want to live she wouldn't have survived 15 years the way she is and I can't think that anyone would want to be starved to death.

Quote:
Well, maybe you should read up before you jump in to a conversation this late.

Sorry, I spent my weekend doing something other than reading the forum. Next time I'll ask for your permission to post in a thread even when I clearly state I did not take the hour or two to read through it but simply wanted to be part of the discussion.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #273
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
It's not like she has been in a coma for 15 years. She may need a great deal of care but she is still alive.
What if she's fought to stay alive for 15 years like this and feels that she still wants to live?

I think these two statements are critical and illustrate the misconception that most people have about her condition.

Terri condition is far, far worse than a coma. Basically the difference between a coma and a persitive vegatative state is where the damage is. The brainstem has several several important functions. It connects the brain to the rest of the body, controls the general arrousal of the cortex (higher brain structures), and controls heart rate and respiration. Patients in a coma have damages to the structures underlying either of the first two functions. They are unconscious and thus completely unresponsive. Structures that control basic life support functions must be spared in patients in a coma which is why they are relatively infrequent (at least long ones). Patients can suddenly come out of comas and lead relatively normal lifes becuase their cortex is spaired.

A persistant vegetative state is caused by damage to the cortex which is involved in all higher functions including communication, emotion, memory, controlled movements, etc. Since the brainstem is spared, the patient can often be kept "alive" with minimal medical intervention. However, damage to the cortex is irreversable. There are no cures. Terri had a CT scan which showed that her cortex was gone. Neurons are very fragile cells and will die very quickly when they are deprived of nutrients or signals from other neurons. There is nothing left to help via therapy. Terri's body can continue to survive however, her brain is gone.

Everything Terri has done for the past 15 years (responding to stimuli, uncontrolled movements, smiling, crying etc) are very simple reflexes that are controlled largely by the brainstem or spinal cord and not by her cortex.

Last edited by Masked : 03-21-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #274
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
That is the key, isn't it. LIVE their lives. Not order someone to die by starvation based on the word of someone who claims to love her, yet had no problem porking another woman while she was in the hospital.

I won't sit and say that I think it's okay that he did this without just divorcing her. Seems to me that he wants to move on, the parents said they wouldn't begrudge him for doing that, but he seems to want to end this.

It just seems a bit off to me, like something else is going on that we don't know about.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #275
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Sorry, I spent my weekend doing something other than reading the forum. Next time I'll ask for your permission to post in a thread even when I clearly state I did not take the hour or two to read through it but simply wanted to be part of the discussion.

Gary, the point is that the same points you dredged up have already been discussed - in length - in the preceeding pages.

Joining the discussion is fine. But it seems discourteous to ignore 5 pages of valid, thoughtful discussion and start asking the same questions or proposing the same points that were previously discussed. If you can't bother to read the thread, why bother to post at all?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #276
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Gary, the point is that the same points you dredged up have already been discussed - in length - in the preceeding pages.

Joining the discussion is fine. But it seems discourteous to ignore 5 pages of valid, thoughtful discussion and start asking the same questions or proposing the same points that were previously discussed. If you can't bother to read the thread, why bother to post at all?

Well after 200 some posts seriously, are there going to be groundbreaking original posts? How exactly should I join a discussion then if what I have to say or want to discuss is already brought up? I posted because I wanted to discuss the issue with people who were reading it now and could reply now while I was reading the forums - if I wanted to simply read what others said I would have spent two hours reading the thread. If people already said their piece then that's fine - nobody had to reply to me. I could have started my own thread but that's not proper protocal either.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #277
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's your problem - nobody knows what she wanted. How do you know she doesn't cherish each day she wakes up now? How do you know that she doesn't desperately want to communicate to the world that she wants to live? Nobody knows so why not error on the side of caution? She's lived like this for 15 years - maybe she has resigned herself to the fact that this is her life now and she cherishes the fact that she has life.

She might not want to live but I think that if she didn't want to live she wouldn't have survived 15 years the way she is and I can't think that anyone would want to be starved to death.

And your problem is you think you know better than her husband what she would want. Nobody knows what she wanted? Not even her husband?

If you were to work through this whole history of what has happened logically, there's no reason to think that Michael Schiavo would have taken this path of action unless he was certain this was exactly what Terri would've wanted. Not unless you believe some conspiracy theory about him being the reason she suffered this condition in the first place.

If you were willing to read this thread, you'd find some excellent summaries of the situation posted by Blackadar.

As for her living 15 years in this state, all that proves is that the base-level functions of her brain still work, but we knew that already. Since there's no evidence of higher-level brain function, it's a real stretch to imagine that there's some conscious thought driving her continued existence.

Quote:

I could care less whether you prefaced your initial post or not. When you come into a thread this far in without having read most of it and pose questions that have already been debated endlessly, why should you expect any other response?

So you consider your time more precious than the rest of us? Some of us were willing to read through the thread and actually get up to speed on the debate. If you're not willing to do so, then I'm not sorry for denigrating your refusal to do so. It's a matter of courtesy.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #278
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
And your problem is you think you know better than her husband what she would want. Nobody knows what she wanted? Not even her husband?

I think there is an excellent chance that her husband doesn't know what she wanted. Be honest - how many married couples have sat down and discussed in 100% seriousness what they would want done in a case like this? I know that my wife and I have not discussed something like this but certainly based on this case we will get a living will made. I can't believe that my wife and I would be the only married couple on earth not to seriously discuss what we would want to happen to us if we were in a situation like that. My stance is that there is no proof that she ever expressed her wishes for this type of situation so why sentence her to death if there are people willing to care for her and pay for her care even if one of those people is not her husband or estranged husband or whatever you want to call him.

Quote:
I could care less whether you prefaced your initial post or not. When you come into a thread this far in without having read most of it and pose questions that have already been debated endlessly, why should you expect any other response?

So you consider your time more precious than the rest of us? Some of us were willing to read through the thread and actually get up to speed on the debate. If you're not willing to do so, then I'm not sorry for denigrating your refusal to do so. It's a matter of courtesy.

Well apparently you cared enough to respond a couple of times. I wanted a conversation with people on this matter - whether I choose to read 250 posts prior to making one is up to me as it is up to you whether you choose to respond to me or not. If you have debated the quetions endlessly then why waste time replying to me? I have not debated the issue prior to now so I chose to start now and debate with anyone willing to do so.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #279
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I think there is an excellent chance that her husband doesn't know what she wanted. Be honest - how many married couples have sat down and discussed in 100% seriousness what they would want done in a case like this? I know that my wife and I have not discussed something like this but certainly based on this case we will get a living will made. I can't believe that my wife and I would be the only married couple on earth not to seriously discuss what we would want to happen to us if we were in a situation like that. My stance is that there is no proof that she ever expressed her wishes for this type of situation so why sentence her to death if there are people willing to care for her and pay for her care even if one of those people is not her husband or estranged husband or whatever you want to call him.

Hi Gary,

not sure if you saw the link I posted earlier in reponse to your first post, it explains a lot better than I can this very point. The judges did not base their decision based on only the testimony of the husband. Other people testified that they too heard her make statements that she wouldn't want to stay in the state she currently finds herself in. Based on Florida law, the presumption is to keep someone alive, unless overwhelming evidence is shown to prove otherwise. I would assume that this legal level of burden has been proven, based on the rulings of every level of court system in Florida, and the refusal of the United States Supreme Court to overturn the rulings of the state judges.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #280
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So you know better than Michael Schiavo whether they discussed this or not? You claim there's no proof she wanted the right to die. Well, there's no proof she wanted to live in this state either.

And you keep assuming that staying alive in this state is the best option. Well, not if that's not what she wanted, and the person who was in the best position to know that has claimed she did not want to live in this situation. For all you know, this existence is torture for Terri Schiavo.

To me, the big issue here is way Congress is attempting to get involved in matters of individual rights and how they are trying to supercede the authority of the state. I also find huge irony in the hypocisy the Republican Party arbitrarily deciding when it's OK for the Federal Government to supercede State's Rights when it suits their political interests (i.e. appeasing the conservative christian faction of their base) while talking up State's Rights in other areas where they stand to gain.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #281
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Well that's a different story - I'm not after socialized healthcare and let's tax people to death in order to keep people alive as long as possible. Its unfortunate but there are many people in our country that cannot afford treatments for their illnesses and that really sucks but you can't force people to pay for other people's care.

In this case there are willing caretakers and people willing to put up the money for that care. As long as those exist then why should she have to die when nobody knows for sure what her true wishes are? That's my only point here.

But in your recent comments about the case, you say that Schiavo is being condemmed to a death sentence. In your response to my post, you say that, for other cases when there is no money for care, too bad. Is Terri Schiavo more worthy of life because it is likely that, due to the publicity, her care is more likely to get funded by private donors?

This is why the Republican handling of the case is so onerous. If they really cared about seriously dealing with all the issues of futile care head on, the Senate would have passed the version of the bill opening the federal courts to all cases similar to the Schiavo one. But the bill they passed is only applicable to the Schiavo case. This suggests pretty strongly to me that they are using Schiavo as a political tool, but are being careful not to open a can of worms in pushing the futile care issue too hard--they have to know that a "presumption of life" policy in futile care cannot be tenable if the Republicans are not going to support it by increasing the funding of medicaid and make it easier for families to shoulder the costs. I just don't see the Republicans being willing to put their money where there mouths are.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 03-21-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #282
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Well apparently you cared enough to respond a couple of times. I wanted a conversation with people on this matter - whether I choose to read 250 posts prior to making one is up to me as it is up to you whether you choose to respond to me or not. If you have debated the quetions endlessly then why waste time replying to me? I have not debated the issue prior to now so I chose to start now and debate with anyone willing to do so.

Last post on this issue before I let it die.

If you wanted a conversation on this matter, then why don't you READ the conversation? The "debate" as you framed it has been laid to rest - every single one of your points has already been discussed (and generally refuted). As it stands now, you post appears to be oblivious and frankly, not just a little bit discourteous to the rest of us who have put forth some pretty intelligent discussion over the last few days.

You want to "debate"? Then bring some new discussion points to the table or refute past points. Or should we just delete this thread and start over because you've just arrived?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #283
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think there is an excellent chance that her husband doesn't know what she wanted. Be honest - how many married couples have sat down and discussed in 100% seriousness what they would want done in a case like this? I know that my wife and I have not discussed something like this but certainly based on this case we will get a living will made. I can't believe that my wife and I would be the only married couple on earth not to seriously discuss what we would want to happen to us if we were in a situation like that. My stance is that there is no proof that she ever expressed her wishes for this type of situation so why sentence her to death if there are people willing to care for her and pay for her care even if one of those people is not her husband or estranged husband or whatever you want to call him.......

Maybe the reason people are getting annoyed with you is you appear to be totally ignorant about this case, and if you read this thread or (even better) read up on the case elsewhere you could at least make a halfway intelligent comment based on the actual facts rather than hypotheticals and your irrelevant feelings about what you would do in such a situation, etc.

This issue was litigated extensively and it was proved, by clear and convincing evidence, which is a highest burden of proof in civil court, that it was not her wish to live in this condition. It was proved through the uncontradicted testimony of her husband, her sister-in-law, and her friends.

You might not like the facts, but at least make a little effort to learn them before engaging in redundant, ignorant babbling.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #284
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
So you know better than Michael Schiavo whether they discussed this or not? You claim there's no proof she wanted the right to die. Well, there's no proof she wanted to live in this state either.

I'm not disputing that - I don't know her wishes but I also think that its reasonable to assume that nobody else may have truly known either. The only way her wishes are truly known is if she records them somewhere - anything else is pure heresay whether its from her husband, her family or anyone else regardless of which side of the fence they are arguing.

Quote:
And you keep assuming that staying alive in this state is the best option. Well, not if that's not what she wanted, and the person who was in the best position to know that has claimed she did not want to live in this situation. For all you know, this existence is torture for Terri Schiavo.

Well I stated earlier that if it was in fact her wish not to be kept alive by any means in the event of something like this then there would be no issue here. I can't say someone should be forced to live in a condition they do not want to live in nor would I try to. Yes, her existence could be torture but maybe its not torture at all. Maybe she is at peace with her existence. Do you know for a fact that her existence is torture for her? You don't and neither does anyone else but Terri.

Quote:
To me, the big issue here is way Congress is attempting to get involved in matters of individual rights and how they are trying to supercede the authority of the state. I also find huge irony in the hypocisy the Republican Party arbitrarily deciding when it's OK for the Federal Government to supercede State's Rights when it suits their political interests (i.e. appeasing the conservative christian faction of their base) while talking up State's Rights in other areas where they stand to gain.

To me, that's a different debate. This is not political to me - I don't think Congress should have to intervene in situations like these or waste taxpayer time and money on things like asking baseball players if they took steroids. In fact Congress wastes its time and money more often than not whether its democrat or republican. The sole issue with Terri is one of preserving human life when possible.

You have made excellent points that I do not know what Terri wants - the fact of the matter is that nobody knows FOR SURE what Terri wants because she never recorded it. But I think that in her case where she has people willing to pay for her care and not burden you or me with the costs of doing so then why should death be chosen over life when NOBODY knows what she wants. It's not like her family is asking the state to pay for her to be kept alive - they want to care for her and pay for her care - who is her husband or a judge to determine that she should just starve to death instead of letting people who want to and are capable of caring for her do so?

Maybe it was her wish to not be kept alive in this state - but maybe it wasn't as well. Unless there's concrete proof of her wishes how can you sentence her to die?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #285
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully you've read the above posts, but it's not just her husband claiming this is what she wanted, and this point has been put through a severe legal test and consistently passed.

If the above posts don't address your points then I don't know what will. This wasn't some arbitrary decision by Michael Schiavo, and a rational, logical look at this case can't lead to any other conclusion but that he strongly believes this was what she wanted - why else would he perservere through the abuse he's taken in forging relentlessly ahead on this issue?

I will agree with you that hopefully this case makes it crystal clear to everyone that to avoid this kind of mess, a living will should be created stating your wishes. At the very least, make it clear to all your family and friends your position on this matter.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #286
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
But in your recent comments about the case, you say that Schiavo is being condemmed to a death sentence. In your response to my post, you say that, for other cases when there is no money for care, too bad. Is Terri Schiavo more worthy of life because it is likely that, due to the publicity, her care is more likely to get funded by private donors?

This is why the Republican handling of the case is so onerous. If they really cared about seriously dealing with all the issues of futile care head on, the Senate would have passed the version of the bill opening the federal courts to all cases similar to the Schiavo one. But the bill they passed is only applicable to the Schiavo case. This suggests pretty strongly to me that they are using Schiavo as a political tool,

That's a good point and I would say more worthy - no, more likely - yes. Who's children are more likely to get into Harvard and have a fantastic job when they come out of school? Those from a middle class working person like myself or those from a prominant political figure? It's a no brainer. That doesn't make it "right" but it is how it is. Terri would be fortunate enough to have her care paid for by private donors because of the publicity while other families are basically forced to stand by and watch a loved one die because they cannot afford the care.

As for how the Republicans are handling it - again, it is what it is. Name one thing that is not done in the name of politics from a political group? Every decision made by an important political figure or party has some type of political motivation - they all result in throwing a bone to some group they are trying to appease. The republicans are guilty of it, so are the democrats. To me that's not as important as the issue itself which is whether or not a court should sentence someone to die when there is no physical record of her wishes and there are people willing to pay for her care.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #287
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I believe that you are correct in that we don't KNOW beyond any sort of doubt that her husband isn't lying about his wishes. The point is that society and the courts have pretty well laid out the fact that it is entirely his decision. He doesn't have to prove anything. He is her husband, her life is in her hands. He says he is trying to do what she would want done. No one is in a better place to make that call than him. Not even her parents. If I were in that condition, I know I'd want my wife to be able to make the call on what to do. The way the laws of this land work, she has that power. Well unless someone made it out to be a "right to life case".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #288
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Maybe it was her wish to not be kept alive in this state - but maybe it wasn't as well. Unless there's concrete proof of her wishes how can you sentence her to die?

It is for this very reason that there are laws on the books and judicial guidelines to follow. I have not read the transcripts of each of the judicial hearings in this case. But if there have been, I believe, 10 seperate hearings, and in every instance the judge has come to the same conclusion, that she wouldn't have wanted to continue living in her current state. I have enough faith in our justice system that the legal decision that most closely resembles her wishes has been made.

This is wasn't simply one judge taking a statement from the husband, and a statement from the mom and dad. This has been a long string of legal hearing and decisions, and each step of the way, the husband's version of his wife's wishes has been the prevailing version.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #289
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I believe that you are correct in that we don't KNOW beyond any sort of doubt that her husband isn't lying about his wishes. The point is that society and the courts have pretty well laid out the fact that it is entirely his decision. He doesn't have to prove anything. He is her husband, her life is in her hands. He says he is trying to do what she would want done. No one is in a better place to make that call than him. Not even her parents. If I were in that condition, I know I'd want my wife to be able to make the call on what to do. The way the laws of this land work, she has that power. Well unless someone made it out to be a "right to life case".

Actually that's not exactly correct. They way it works under Florida law is when there is no written document laying out her wishes, the next-of-kin can petition the court. There is a statutory presumption in favor of life, meaning it is presumed that the person would want his or her life prolonged. This presumption can be rebutted if the court determines there is clear and convincing evidence that the person would not want his or her life prolonged. In this case, there was a trial on the issue and the court heard and considered all evidence on the issue and based on the uncontradicted testimony of numerous people it was determined, by clear and convincing evidence, that her was was to die in this situation. This decision was appealed and every appellate court also reviewed the evidence on which the trial judge made his determination and affirmed that the trial judge made the right decision.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #290
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
To me, that's a different debate. This is not political to me - I don't think Congress should have to intervene in situations like these or waste taxpayer time and money on things like asking baseball players if they took steroids. In fact Congress wastes its time and money more often than not whether its democrat or republican. The sole issue with Terri is one of preserving human life when possible.

But this is a huge part of the debate. You are taking the rights, freedom of choice, and our trust in what I think is one of the strongest things we have (our medcial field), and giving it to the government and politicans who are speaking on behalf of the parnets, yet do not know anything about Teri (have they ever seen her, consulted with the doctors)? You are also pushing aside the court system that have over and over ruled in favored of the husband (and done so on extensive fact searching, hearings, ect).

Last edited by SunDancer : 03-21-2005 at 03:14 PM.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #291
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

As for how the Republicans are handling it - again, it is what it is. Name one thing that is not done in the name of politics from a political group? Every decision made by an important political figure or party has some type of political motivation - they all result in throwing a bone to some group they are trying to appease. The republicans are guilty of it, so are the democrats.

Yes, there's no denying the point that the Democrats are often guilty of the same grandstanding, hypocrisy, and choosing politics over serious policy-making that we are seeing from the Republicans on this issue.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on whether the focus should be on assessing this case in a vacuum; and on whether we should consider the implications this case may have to medical care and its cost-structure in this country.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #292
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Hopefully you've read the above posts, but it's not just her husband claiming this is what she wanted, and this point has been put through a severe legal test and consistently passed.

If the above posts don't address your points then I don't know what will. This wasn't some arbitrary decision by Michael Schiavo, and a rational, logical look at this case can't lead to any other conclusion but that he strongly believes this was what she wanted - why else would he perservere through the abuse he's taken in forging relentlessly ahead on this issue?

I have read information on the case and yes I know it was just not her husband. I don't recall all of the "others" but I believe they were his brother and his brother's wife. There's money involved in this case and I hate to say it but it certainly can't be out of the realm of possibility that its a motivation to testify one way or the other for everyone involved.

Also if you read to what the court decided was her consent to not be kept alive in such a situation her comments seem to be off the cuff remarks. Like in one case she saw a movie with a man in a coma and allegedly remarked that she would not want to be kept alive on a machine like him. To me, that doesn't seem like it should be a declaration of her true wishes. For starters there's no explicit remark in there - how can a court decide that she wouldn't want to be kept alive under any circumstances? Maybe she just wouldn't want to be kept alive if she was in a coma. Maybe it was just a remark in regards to the movie.

It bothers me that none of her alleged comments about not wanting to live like that were made in the context of a serious, heartfelt discussion. Alleged comments were made at a luncheon for her grandmother's funeral and a comment about her grandmother being in intensive care and saying that if she was ever a burden she wouldn't want to live like that. Well she's obviously not a burden to her family who want to keep her alive.

I just fail to see conclusive proof in the court reports about her alleged comments that would warrant a judge deciding that it was her wishes to not live in a situation like this. But that's the problem with not having recorded proof - I think her alleged comments made to her husband and his family members could have been made simply as comments upon seeing a situation and without true regards to her own future or there's always the possibility that those comments weren't made or made exactly like that.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #293
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
But this is a huge part of the debate. You are taking the rights, freedom of choice, and our trust in what I think is one of the strongest things we have (our medcial field), and giving it to the government and politicans who are speaking on behalf of the parnets, yet do not know anything about Teri (have they ever seen her, consulted with the doctors)? You are also pushing aside the court system that have over and over ruled in favored of the husband (and done so on extensive fact searching, hearings, ect).

Well I'm not for Congress and politicians getting involved in this - my beef is with the court. I realize what judgment the court has made and I realize what they are basing that judgment off of and I don't agree with it. I see a situation where we have an individual whose right to life is being decided by a court based on testimony of what people claim she said to them 15-20 or more years ago. The resources to pay for her care are there but the court has decided that her wishes are to die - I would have zero issue with that if she had left proof or made a remark about that in different circumstances. But alot of people say things they don't truly mean when faced with grieving situations (like seeing her grandmother in intensive care or at her funeral luncheon) or say things just to comment like when watching a movie with a man in a coma. I just don't feel there is conclusive evidence that she would not want to live this way and when there are people willing to care for her then why should she have to die?

Also I do wonder what the motives of the husband are. He's at odds with her family, he's fathered children with another woman, there's money involved in the case, the testimony being used is from his brother and sister-in-law....it's possible that he's a stand-up guy and doing what he feels his wife would want but its hard to ignore the other actions of him. Does his wife want to die in a situation like this? possibly. Would his wife wanted him to go out and have sex with other women and have kids by another woman while she is still alive? I don't begrudge him the fact that he can move on with his life but it certainly at very least gives me some pause as to what his motives might be.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 03-21-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #294
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What really bothers me in this case isn't anything about Schiavo (I could care less), but the fact that Congress passed a BLATENTLY unconstitutional law. A lot of Congressmen are lawyers, they should have either known better, or they did know and didn't care. It's quite shameful that plenty of Congressmen knew the law was going to be struck down, but passed it anyway.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #295
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
What really bothers me in this case isn't anything about Schiavo (I could care less), but the fact that Congress passed a BLATENTLY unconstitutional law. A lot of Congressmen are lawyers, they should have either known better, or they did know and didn't care. It's quite shameful that plenty of Congressmen knew the law was going to be struck down, but passed it anyway.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than to beg for permission.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #296
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also I do wonder what the motives of the husband are. He's at odds with her family, he's fathered children with another woman, there's money involved in the case, the testimony being used is from his brother and sister-in-law....it's possible that he's a stand-up guy and doing what he feels his wife would want but its hard to ignore the other actions of him. Does his wife want to die in a situation like this? possibly. Would his wife wanted him to go out and have sex with other women and have kids by another woman while she is still alive? I don't begrudge him the fact that he can move on with his life but it certainly at very least gives me some pause as to what his motives might be.
I'd recommend reading the opinion of the Guardian Ad Litem appointed for Schiavo as a result of the 2001 intervention by the Florida legislature. He was charged with representing Terry's interests, and I think he laid out the situation fairly dispassionately.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #297
Peregrine
Pro Starter

An interesting sub-note to all the outrage sparked by Congress meddling with the case is that the federal judge can choose not to even rule on the case. There seem to be some constitutional issues involved and he can have the law tossed if need be, or just leave the case alone on the merits. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Of course if he doesn't rule in their favor Congress will gracefully accept it in the spirit of checks and balances I'm sure
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #298
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Has anybody here gone to www.TerrySchiavo.com ???

It's not the same woman, but an Italian who's not bad on the eyes at all...
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #299
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well I'm not for Congress and politicians getting involved in this - my beef is with the court. I realize what judgment the court has made and I realize what they are basing that judgment off of and I don't agree with it. I see a situation where we have an individual whose right to life is being decided by a court based on testimony of what people claim she said to them 15-20 or more years ago. The resources to pay for her care are there but the court has decided that her wishes are to die - I would have zero issue with that if she had left proof or made a remark about that in different circumstances. But alot of people say things they don't truly mean when faced with grieving situations (like seeing her grandmother in intensive care or at her funeral luncheon) or say things just to comment like when watching a movie with a man in a coma. I just don't feel there is conclusive evidence that she would not want to live this way and when there are people willing to care for her then why should she have to die?

So basically, you're saying all the previous court sessions deciding this case were a sham, and that the burden of proof the state of Florida required was too minimal?

Quote:

Please present a logical scenario outlining what possible motives Michael Schiavo could've had to have pursued this decision, especially when you consider all the vehement opposition and character assassination he's had to face, that were anything other than pursuing what he genuinely believes to be Terri Schiavo's wishes?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #300
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

This sums up the merits of the parents' case quite well:

Quote:
The two sides presented their cases Monday for 45 minutes apiece.

Gibbs [the parents' lawyer] repeatedly called for urgent action, saying Schiavo is dehydrating and starving "as we speak."

He said her right to due process has consistently been denied by lower courts -- a statement that drew intense questioning from the judge.

Pressed by Whittemore to cite any case law to support his argument, Gibbs admitted he could not think of any.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/21/schiavo/index.html