Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #251
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm not discounting him because he was wrong. (though I do think he was an idiot not to see the PS3 in real trouble long before its release. Let's face it, I predicted that the PS3 would have a disasterous first year and I'm not brilliant or an industry insider by any stretch)

Why I'm discounting him as a hack (along with the writer of the article) is because he's giving the same old tired line now that was being used before the consoles came out.

I know this may come as a monumental shock to him, but people knew the Wii didn't have HD and the PS3/360 did a long time ago. Look at sales numbers and tell me how many people that has impacted? Last month the Wii sold 608,000 units more worldwide than the PS3.

The PS3 sold just over 200k more than the 360 last month for comparison.

The Wii demand is still not slowing down. This generation is O_V_E_R as far as #1 is concerned and any hack that can't see that is just that, a hack.

Which is exactly the point I was making and I agree with you. Don't discount an opinion of an analyst just because he's missed before. You're not going to find an analyst in any field that hasn't missed before. Measure his comments at face value given the current situation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #252
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
The people who purchase the Wii don't give a damn about HD graphics. They aren't your die hard video game addicts that want to see huge explosions. They are everything from senior citizens to the parents of a couple of 6 year olds who want to interact with each other and play games with the kids.

The most my mom has played video games in the last 30 years (since I've been around) has been 1) Ms. Pac Man, 2) Tetris on the Gameboy, 3) Zoop or whatever it's called on the PC at work and 4) Those "Brain Games" on the DS.

My dad played video games a bit back in the C64 days, but other than that (and occasionally the before-mentioned Zoop or whatever at work), he has not touched video games in the 30 years I've been in existance.

Last week, they bought a Wii. I can also say they certainly don't care about the 360 or the PS3. GTA IV might sell a few more 360s and PS3s for awhile, but anyone who thinks GTA is going to negatively impact the Wii is clearly not paying attention.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #253
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Measure his comments at face value given the current situation.

I think that's what he's doing. He's saying the guy's stupid if he thinks the Wii momentum is going to slow because it doesn't have HD graphics. People have been voting with their paychecks and they have said (very loudly) that they just don't care about fancy graphics nearly as much as analysts like this guy seem to believe.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #254
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not discounting him because he was wrong. (though I do think he was an idiot not to see the PS3 in real trouble long before its release. Let's face it, I predicted that the PS3 would have a disasterous first year and I'm not brilliant or an industry insider by any stretch)

Why I'm discounting him as a hack (along with the writer of the article) is because he's giving the same old tired line now that was being used before the consoles came out.

I generally echo this sentiment, but mostly I discount the analysis because there is no analysis in the article. He isn't giving trends and extrapolating, he is just saying that the Wii doesn't get GTA IV and that is a bad thing. He is also saying that GTA IV will be good for the PS3 which is pretty much a given. No analysis, just opinion.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #255
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another article predicting a Blu-ray 360 model by August. Obviously, they're going to have to put out an add-on version for those that have already bought a DVD 360 model to allow them to have the option for similar functionality...........

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ul-come-august
Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #256
wade moore
lolzcat

If they made an add-on in the $100-$200 range that would be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #257
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
If they made an add-on in the $100-$200 range that would be fantastic.

Just a guess, but I'd think that it would likely be at the $199 price point. I can't see how they could make it any cheaper than that given the price of the BR drives.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #258
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Just a guess, but I'd think that it would likely be at the $199 price point. I can't see how they could make it any cheaper than that given the price of the BR drives.
If it functions as well as a stand-alone, I wouldn't complain about that. If it functions as well as the PS3 Blu-Ray, I'd be ecstatic at that price.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #259
Dekanth
Mascot

So, I want to buy an Xbox 360. I won't ever play online, and it will be very, very casual gaming. GTA IV and a few games here and there at the very most.

The question is, should I get the arcade version, or go for the next one up, with the 20mb drive or whatever it is. What are the main differences?
Dekanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #260
spleen1015
Coordinator

What ever you get, get one with a hard drive.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #261
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What ever you get, get one with a hard drive.

Agreed. The 20 GB hard drive should serve your needs fine since it doesn't sound like you'll be downloading a lot of stuff, but an arcade one is a bad buy IMHO.

The lack of a hard drive may hamper the performance of future games on the arcade model, and you'll save money by not needing to buy memory sticks in the future.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-05-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #262
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Obviously, they're going to have to put out an add-on version for those that have already bought a DVD 360 model to allow them to have the option for similar functionality...........
Why obviously? Games will still continue to run off DVDs so why would they have to release a Blu-Ray add-on for existing 360 owners? Nobody bought a 360 expecting it would play BR movies. Further, BR pretty much has to get standalone $200 players out by Christmas to stand a chance of being anything more than a niche product. I can't imagine a 360 add-on for $150 would generate much demand if that happens.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #263
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekanth View Post
So, I want to buy an Xbox 360. I won't ever play online, and it will be very, very casual gaming. GTA IV and a few games here and there at the very most.

The question is, should I get the arcade version, or go for the next one up, with the 20mb drive or whatever it is. What are the main differences?

I agree with what others have said. When I bought my 360 two years ago I got one without a hard drive because that was all I could find, and then bought the hard drive to add onto it a few days later. Not sure if the price of memory cards are the same or not, but having the 20GB hard drive just seemed like a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better value to me over the memory cards.

FYI, I am like you in that I do not do online gaming. GTA IV my push me into later on but for two years I have never done any. I still find that I would not want to be without the HD.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #264
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Wii breaking new ground yet again:

Quote:
Pole dancing videogame headed for the Wii

A COMPANY that makes pole dancing equipment has announced plans to develop a videogame for Nintendo's motion-sensitive Wii console.

"We are pleased to confirm that Peekaboo is in talks to develop a game for the Nintendo Wii that meets mainstream demand for the fun and fitness benefits of pole dancing," the company said.

Peekaboo is best-known for selling a range of pole-dancing products for use in the home – including the "Electra", a pole inspired and endorsed by former Playboy model Carmen Electra.

The company denied rumours Electra would be involved in the videogame, which will be promoted as a fitness product in the same vein as the recently-launched Wii Fit.
"With pole dancing classes springing up in gyms and health clubs across Europe and the USA, the number of women seeking the body-sculpting and fat-burning effects of this aerobic form of exercise has never been greater," Peekaboo said.

"Men and women of all shapes and sizes will be encouraged to work on improving their skills, with the firm focus on fun and fitness as per the core brand values of Nintendo Wii."

The Wii is best known for its family-friendly, movement-based games including Wii Sports and Wii Fit, which lets players perform physical exercises on an electronic balance board.

The announcement of a pole-dancing game means Wii players may see another type of peripheral for the console – an electronic pole controller.

"Peekaboo and its partners are focussed on using Wii-friendly hardware to make aerobic pole dancing instantly accessible just as Guitar Hero did for rock’n’roll," the company said.

A spokesman for Peekaboo told MTV's Multiplayer blog that the company was also looking into a mobile phone version of the game.

Peekabo caused controversy in 2006 when its home pole-dancing kit was sold in the "Toys" section of UK retailer Tesco. The store responded by moving the product into the "Fitness" section.

Peekaboo's pole dancing game is in a "developmental phase" and does not yet have a title or release date.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014117,00.html
Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #265
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The Wii breaking new ground yet again:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014117,00.html

I can see the headlines before they're even written...........

"Epidemic of broken hips and record STD transmission in nursing homes caused by 'virtual pole dancing' craze."
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony announced that Killzone 2 has been bumped to February 2009. The event was in Europe, but there was no mention if that was a European delay or worldwide delay.

They also announced that the PS3 has passed the 360 in Europe, despite the 16 month head start by the 360 and the higher price point. The PS3 sales in Europe are also trending ahead of PS2 sales at similar points in their life cycle.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New footage coming out of Sony Gamer Day.

Gameplay footage of Mirror's Edge...........

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18706

New trailer for Killzone 2.............

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18705
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Early numbers in Europe on software are very positive. Both the PS3 and 360 versions of GTA4 beat Wii Fit in every country that has announced numbers (UK, Ireland, Norway, Netherlands). Impressive for both consoles to put up a win in head-to head releases.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-06-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #269
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

When the wife took back the 360 last night we had bought last week (mine is back from repair, woohoo) she said they had no 360's at all, but a bunch of Wii's. That is a change......
Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #270
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
When the wife took back the 360 last night we had bought last week (mine is back from repair, woohoo) she said they had no 360's at all, but a bunch of Wii's. That is a change......

I'm guessing they had a pretty big supply increase this week. I went to Target and to Best Buy last night and both places had Wii's in stock. Certainly catches your eye after seeing the "We're out of Wii's" sign stuck to the display for so long.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #271
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow, I noticed a couple of retail managers in Boston and Baltimore mention that they've had Wii's in stock for 4 days?!?!

SackAttack & stevew, did your store get a big shipment to match what these other stores are reporting?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-06-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #272
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm guessing they had a pretty big supply increase this week. I went to Target and to Best Buy last night and both places had Wii's in stock. Certainly catches your eye after seeing the "We're out of Wii's" sign stuck to the display for so long.

I don't doubt the part about the Wii's, but I know they had a couple there last week as well. They also had about 10 360's though last week, and they have none, that is what caught me by surprise.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #273
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't doubt the part about the Wii's, but I know they had a couple there last week as well. They also had about 10 360's though last week, and they have none, that is what caught me by surprise.

I'm not too surprised by that. Early numbers for the first GTA4 week show a 65% increase in Xbox 360 sales and a 80% increase of PS3 sales over the previous week. Both of the consoles moved more hardware than usual.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #274
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

EA promises special versions of their sports games for the Wii........

Quote:
VANCOUVER - Video-game publisher Electronic Arts unveiled two initiatives on Tuesday to breathe new life into its sports business by making games that are easier to play and customized for Nintendo's popular Wii console.

Key games such as "Madden" football, "NBA Live" and "FIFA" soccer will come out in special versions for the Wii, which has become the best-selling game system by drawing in older and female players with friendly graphics and simple motion-sensing controls.

EA is also starting a sub-brand dubbed Freestyle that will be home to a new set of games not tied to any existing league and therefore free of expensive licensing rights. The first game will be "Facebreaker," a cartoonish and whimsical boxing game due out in September.

"We can't be blind to the fact that different consumers are coming into games now and shame on us if we can't evolve and develop something for that crowd," Peter Moore, head of EA Sports, told Reuters.

EA expects to have sold about $1.3 billion worth of sports games in its fiscal year just ended in March, accounting for more than a third of total revenue.

Known for their sharp graphics and attention to detail, EA's sports games are among the industry's best-selling titles each year. But many gamers have criticized them for including few groundbreaking new features and increasingly complex controls that make them tough to play.

Showing off this year's lineup of sports titles at a news conference in EA's Vancouver studio, Moore said the company had not forgotten about its core fans who want the most realistic experience.

"While we have no intention whatsoever of dumbing down the experience that we all love and that drives this multibillion dollar business ... we need to make sports games more approachable," Moore said.

Caught off guard by the Wii's success following its launch in late 2006, EA tried to adapt its sports games to the Wii, an effort Moore admitted amounted to basically tacking on the motion controls without changing the core game.

Moore, who joined EA from Microsoft's games division to head up the sports business last September, said the new approach to the Wii marked a dramatic rethinking of what those players wanted from a game.

The model was "Wii Sports," a title from Nintendo included with every Wii that took bowling, baseball, golf, tennis and boxing and reduced them to a handful of simple motions.

"We learned some hard lessons. That was the type of sports experience they were looking for and we saw that and decided we needed to redefine what our sports games were about," Moore said. This year, EA's top sports games for the Wii will have "All-Play" added to their titles.

While versions for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 will be similar to previous years, the "All-Play" titles will have options to use simpler controls and quicker games.

"It's like how swimming pools have a deep end and a shallow end. EA Sports has really only built a swimming pool with a deep end. It's intimidating for a lot of people to jump right in the deep end. With All-Play, we're building a shallow end," Moore added.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #275
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New video of Motorstorm 2: Pacific Rift..............

http://gamersyde.com/stream_7074_en.html
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #276
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

iD Sofware announces that Doom 4 is in development...........

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=52560
Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #277
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fight Night 4 announced............

Quote:
“The EA SPORTS Fight Night franchise has always been synonymous with quality and innovation that raised the bar for the sports videogame genre”, said Kevin Wilkinson, Executive Producer, EA SPORTS. “EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 3 was a platform defining game as the industry transitioned to next generation consoles. EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 will change how boxing games are played and measured in the future.”

Featuring a re-written gameplay engine, EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 will add a variety of fighting styles and boxer differentiation to authentically emulate the greatest fighters of all time. Pressure your opponent with the brawling inside style of young Mike Tyson, bobbing and weaving to set up powerful hooks and uppercuts. Capitalize on Muhammad Ali’s reach, hand speed and fleetness of foot to bewilder your opponent with lightning fast jabs and straights from the outside. For the first time in history, EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 gives you the opportunity to pit these legendary heavyweights against one another and name a true champ.

No fight will be the same with an all-new physics-based animation system that recreates the full spectrum of true-to-life punch impacts, giving boxers a devastating arsenal of punches, blocks and ring movement. The new physics system allows for missed punches, glancing punches, knockout blows and for the first time ever, rough and tumble inside fighting. Fatigue, adrenaline, footwork and timing all come into play as you hammer away at your opponents.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #278
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
iD Sofware announces that Doom 4 is in development...........

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=52560
I can picture the web comics for tomorrow already about the daivd winter like release schedule.

Quote:
Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #279
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Take-Two is proclaiming the GTA Launch "the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment." They report over 3.6 million copies were sold on launch day and over 6 million in the 1st week for over 500 million dollars:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190520...stnews;title;0
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #280
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The largest in history? They clearly must be leaving out Maximum Football to proclaim such a thing.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #281
Groundhog
Coordinator

How does this affect the EA takeover I wonder.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
How does this affect the EA takeover I wonder.

Odds at a merger are reported to be at best a 50/50 proposition.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #283
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of number in today. First, the April hardware sales numbers from Europe and Japan. PS3 with a major boost from the GTA4 release will likely secure #2 in worldwide numbers for the 6th straight month. Wii had heavy numbers in Europe with supply issues easing. These numbers combined with the NPD numbers on Friday will give the final worldwide numbers.............

Quote:
April Japan Console Sales

Wii - 186K
PS3 - 38K
360 - 7K

April European Console Sales

Wii - 744K
PS3 - 489K
360 - 375K

Here's the numbers for GTA4, Wii Fit, and Mario Cart since release in Europe and North America

Quote:
Europe

GTA4 (PS3) - 1,228,000 (1 week)
GTA4 (360) - 970,000 (1 week)
Wii Fit - 975,000 (2 weeks)
Mario Kart - 1,377,000 (4 weeks)

North America

GTA4 (PS3) - 1,386,000 (1 week)
GTA4 (360) - 2,318,000 (1 week)
Mario Kart - 1,231,000 (1 week)

Impressive how well the PS3 and and 360 performed with a AAA title against AAA Wii titles when going head-to-head. Microsoft will be happy that the GTA4 sales ratio in North America were close to expectations (63% of total units in NA compared to 71:29 hardware advantage overall since launch), but the heavy sales loss in Europe despite a 55:45 market share advantage for hardware is going to be very disappointing.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-07-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #284
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if the kid in Japan with a 360 is considered the dork of the class?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #285
Groundhog
Coordinator

When I was over in Japan last year I was surprised by the first video game store I entered. It may as well have been a Wii and DS store as they took up about 10 or so rows, then the PS3 had about 2 rows, and the 360 had like 3 or 4 shelves of games, and I didn't even see a console for sale.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I wonder if the kid in Japan with a 360 is considered the dork of the class?

To be honest, he's generally considered an American. There's a large number of Americans over in Japan (mainly military families) that will either buy a U.S. import Xbox 360 or will have one shipped to Japan. The stores over there stock and sell U.S. import games for that reason.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #287
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

GTA IV accounted for over a 50% increase in week to week sales of the 360 Hardware:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/07/gt...ales-detailed/
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #288
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
GTA IV accounted for over a 50% increase in week to week sales of the 360 Hardware:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/07/gt...ales-detailed/

It'll be interesting to see the NPD numbers tomorrow. It appears that the PS3 will likely retake 2nd place in the U.S. in April. MS has sent out pre-emptive PR statements the day before the NPD numbers have come out in each of the previous 3 months to try to blunt the news that they are not performing well in the U.S. right now. This would appear to be yet another press statement in that regard. We'll know by tomorrow if that's the case.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #289
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wii Fit gamers rejoice! Peter Moore plans to put out an EA game for the peripheral.

He also notes that you'll be able to buy the same game next year for full price in an 'update'. (OK, I might have made that part up.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=137758
Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #290
SackAttack
Head Coach

Haze demo on PSN. Wonder if it's gonna meet expectations or crash and burn.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #291
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Haze demo on PSN. Wonder if it's gonna meet expectations or crash and burn.

What are the expectations? I don't think they're all that high given the numerous delays. In November 2007, the expectations if it were released then would have been much higher. Now, not so much.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #292
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

w00t! MLB Power Pros is coming to America once again this year. (Wii, PS2, DS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k Sports PR
"We're thrilled to partner with Konami again, and with the Baseball season now in full swing, we're proud to offer our fans a refreshingly smart and exciting baseball game that is easily accessible for all ages," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "Baseball enthusiasts will appreciate the variety of newly added features, intuitive game modes and improved overall feel, and we look forward to hitting one out of the park this season with MLB Power Pros 2008."

With over ten different exciting game modes including the traditional Practice, Exhibition, League and Home Run Challenge modes, MLB Power Pros 2008 will bring fans closer to the action than ever before. Gamers also get the opportunity to act as general manager and control the destiny of their own franchise in Season mode, or engage in entertaining role-playing story modes such as Success and MLB Life modes. As general manager, gamers can trade, sign free agents, coordinate practice schedules, purchase new equipment, call up and send down players from the Minor Leagues, along with other management options to bring in fans, win playoff games and eventually, earn the title of World Series champion.

In Success mode, fans can participate in a story-based career of rising players in the Double-A Minor League system trying to improve their baseball skills and make an impression on baseball scouts while also having to balance various situations in their personal lives. Through a variety of amusing training and game challenges, players who complete Success mode will also be able to take their created player files into MLB Life as well, or also play as either an existing Major League Baseball player in Dream Mode, or start as a rookie in Major League Career mode. As a new feature in MLB Power Pros 2008, MLB Life is another story-based mode that will allow fans the possibility to simulate the exciting life and experience of being a Major League Baseball player over the course of a 20-year career. While continuing to play in games through the regular baseball season, players will also participate in a number of realistic situations such as signing contracts, purchasing houses and cars, making charitable donations, building up relationships with friends and teammates, picking up hobbies and much more.

With easy, pick-up-and-play hitting and pitching controls, along with intuitive Wii functionality, other new features in MLB Power Pros 2008 include support of 40-man rosters, change of ball speed, adjustment of defensive shifts, along with a real-time bullpen check functionality for substituting pitchers. MLB Power Pros 2008 will also support the option for players to import their Wii-based characters, Miis, from their Wii or Wii Remote to become part of the exciting action!

MLB Power Pros 2008, developed by Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., is not yet rated by the ESRB, and will be available for Wii and the PlayStation 2 system this July, as well as Nintendo DS later this fall.

Expansion of the RPG-like Success Mode into a 20 year MLB Career = WIN

I'm glad to see it's also coming out on the DS as well, I'd been tempted to import the Japanese version at some point. The DS has a great catalog of games but its lack of good sports games has bothered me for some time, this will help that out a little bit at least.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #293
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
w00t! MLB Power Pros is coming to America once again this year. (Wii, PS2, DS)

Expansion of the RPG-like Success Mode into a 20 year MLB Career = WIN

I'm glad to see it's also coming out on the DS as well, I'd been tempted to import the Japanese version at some point. The DS has a great catalog of games but its lack of good sports games has bothered me for some time, this will help that out a little bit at least.

I will definitely be picking up the DS version. I've been really looking for a good baseball game on there, and think that'd be a perfect fit.

Good news all around on it coming back. I didn't think it would.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #294
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
What are the expectations? I don't think they're all that high given the numerous delays. In November 2007, the expectations if it were released then would have been much higher. Now, not so much.

Let's say the expectations originally raised for it.

I agree that I think those expectations have been tempered somewhat, but I've seen games suffer huge delays before and still turn out well.

So I guess rephrase.

Meet original expectations, or play down to the level people have started to expect from it after all the delays.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #295
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'd love the MLB Life mode in Power Pros. Success mode just didn't do it for me. Play one or two games over the course of a couple of hours of stupid RPG questions, then game over when you don't hit the big home run or whatever.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #296
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Success mode x 20 years = purchase for me.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #297
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of new news.........

Microsoft may debut a motion controller as soon as next week.........

http://kotaku.com/388741/rumor-micro...ller-next-week

Codemasters picks up the F1 license. Codemasters did Microsoft a big favor here, as previous F1 games have been exclusive due to Sony holding the license. The 360 will probably still be the lower selling version by a wide margin, but at least they have a chance to get into the market.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67228

Bill Harris post about the fallacy that stores aren't doing enough to keep mature rated games out of kids' hands..........

Dubious Quality: Well, Isn't This Interesting

Another post about Microsoft's continuing troubles in Europe with data about sales trends..........

Dubious Quality: Console Post of the Week: Across the Pond

Aaron Greenburg interview where he stirs the flame wars. I'm really not sure he wants to get in a media battle with Sony at this point. Sony could simply ask publicly why Microsoft hasn't released actual failure rates on the 360 and he'd be in a corner. These kinds of PR attacks generally come from the competitor who's not doing as well and feels the need to strike out, which we know is the case with Microsoft currently. I'm also still trying to figure out how 2007 is two years ago............

http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive...iv-85192.phtml

Quote:
"I know a lot of folks enjoy watching the console wars and we would never underestimate our competition. But answer to your question specifically, didn’t Sony promise all of this last year including Home as well? We have been fighting Sony’s promises from the day we entered the market and if you remember at that time it was all about PS2 being an online cybercity with partner announcements from the likes of RealNetworks and AOL. Then three years ago at E3 they showed what PS3 games would supposedly look like with the Killzone 2 video, that we are now learning will ship four years later. That means that we will have shipped Gears of War and Gears of War 2 before they can even get Killzone out the door. Think back to GDC 2007 when Sony promised to leap ahead in online with the Sony Home unveil. Here we are two years later and multiple delays for a product that has appears to have little to no buzz. Where are the achievements? The friends list integration across all games? Where is the long-promised video store? Where are all the other products using and networking with their CELL chip? How come Blu-ray did not result in better games? What happened with Sixaxis and rumble? Where is the complete 1080p game library we were promised? If Blu-ray as they said would be such a catalyst to PS3 console sales, then why have PS3 sales over the past couple months not seen any lift since the format victory?

The days of Sony snowing the consumers and the press are over, I think the pressure is now really on them more than ever to deliver on all of these promises."
Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #298
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

BTW.....I misspoke on the NPD release dates. Software NPD numbers will be released today. Hardware NPD numbers won't be released until May 15th.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #299
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Take-Two is proclaiming the GTA Launch "the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment." They report over 3.6 million copies were sold on launch day and over 6 million in the 1st week for over 500 million dollars:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190520...stnews;title;0

Someone help me out here... how does 6 million copies x $60 a copy = $500 million?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #300
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Someone help me out here... how does 6 million copies x $60 a copy = $500 million?

Exchange rate. I'm pretty sure copies were 50 pounds or 50 Euro in UK and Europe.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote