High School JV

Athletic-god rankings

1. Devin Hester
2. Roger Federer
3. Some soccer player
4. Some rugby player
5. Tiger Woods
6. Chuck, err...need to save some cash

In all seriousness, Hester deserves every ounce of the hype he receives, because first and foremost football is a game of field position, and Hester is the ultimate weapon. If he is on the Pats/Colts that team probably scores 50+ a game with ease.

As for the Bears, excellent end to the season against 2 teams with much to play for. The defense should be back to elite status next season, assuming they don't lose 8 starters again, and I'd be shocked if they failed to make the playoffs. Winning the NFC North isn't going to be easy with the other rising squads, but I believe the Bears D will still trump all, and having Hester will allow them to score the needed points.

Last edited by watravaler : 12-30-2007 at 03:38 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #252
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't think Derek Anderson is any better than Damon Huard.. That is to say, he has been very lucky a lot of times this season, and his receivers have bailed him out a lot.. He probably won't have another season remotely close to this. To me, what I have seen of Brady Quinn is enough to say he is still a better quarterback and I wouldn't second guess giving him the job next season no matter what Derek Anderson has done.

He has had a good year, yes.. But I suspect he has been playing way above his true abilities. Hence the comparison to Huard.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #253
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Bears fans can be so cute sometimes.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #254
Radii
Head Coach

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB....php?p=3435115

I'm assuming that's all accurate, info on how the top 8 picks will be decided based on the outcome of today's games. Seems like Atlanta just screwed themselves out of the #2 pick by beating Seattle and may fall as low as 5th or 6th now. Oakland, the Jets, the Chiefs or the Rams could all end up with the #2 pick still.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #255
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This just in. Travis Kirschke is NOT Aaron Smith.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #256
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damn the niners for their late-season surge
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #257
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I can't believe the lack of respect that the Patriots are getting in this thread. I'm not a Pats fan, but a lot of people just make up excuses to hate them.

Regarding the penalty thing, I believe that New England is one of the higher penalized teams in the league (although admittedly, I'm too lazy to search it out). People that hate the Pats seem to watch the game looking for calls that go the Pats way, instead of being cognizant of the fact that calls go both ways. The call on Moss in the end zone that led to the return TD was awful. Was the sideline call on Toomer awful as well? Yes, it would have been a bad call if it had gone against the Patriots as well, which sometimes it does. I really don't see how the NFL has a hidden agenda here. Hey, maybe Eli Manning is part of the conspiracy as well? I bet he threw that interception to Hobbs on purpose so that the Pats could score the go ahead TD.

Regarding the strength of schedule, it has been touched on already, but the 72 Dolphins had one of the worst schedules ever. They didn't play a team that had a record over .500 over the course of the regular season.

There are currently 9 teams outside of the Patriots that have won 10 games or more this season. The Pats have played 6 of those teams, three of them on the road.

Not counting the New England games, Dallas and Indy are 26-2. The Pats beat them both on the road.

Saying they have a poor schedule is clutching at straws. As for health, any good team needs to be healthy and have some luck to succeed. Would that mean that the Colts championship last year is tainted because Manning played instead of Sorgi?

To me, a team wins a Super Bowl every season. While it's a very special accomplishment, it gets done by someone every year. A team going 16-0 has never been done and may never be done again. It seems like quite a few people are undermining the accomplishment. IF I ALREADY HAD A SUPERBOWL RING, I would take the 16-0 season before another ring.

Does it lose a bit of its luster if they fail in the playoffs? Naturally, as it's no longer a "perfect season". However, far be it for me to label a team chokers if they lose a game in the playoffs. Going 16-0 is an amazing accomplishment enough, let alone asking a team to go 19-0. This is even more spectacular by the fact that it was done in the salary cap era. There are so many factors that can play into a game, injuries, bad calls, etc. that truly make it a game of inches. I don't see how the Pats losing to the Jags or the Colts or the Cowboys could be classified as choking (unless they stink it up and lose something like 35-17). Those are all very good football teams who are just as capable of beating the Pats as the Pats are of beating them. When the 2004 Steelers (who are actually only one game worse than the Pats) lost in playoffs, it wasn't them choking, but rather them losing to another very good football team.

I don't see how it would be any different this time around.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #258
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can't believe the lack of respect that the Patriots are getting in this thread. I'm not a Pats fan, but a lot of people just make up excuses to hate them.
That's just what it's like around here. I almost feel bad for some of these insecure fans.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #259
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

Regarding the penalty thing, I believe that New England is one of the higher penalized teams in the league (although admittedly, I'm too lazy to search it out). People that hate the Pats seem to watch the game looking for calls that go the Pats way, instead of being cognizant of the fact that calls go both ways. The call on Moss in the end zone that led to the return TD was awful. Was the sideline call on Toomer awful as well? Yes, it would have been a bad call if it had gone against the Patriots as well, which sometimes it does. I really don't see how the NFL has a hidden agenda here. Hey, maybe Eli Manning is part of the conspiracy as well? I bet he threw that interception to Hobbs on purpose so that the Pats could score the go ahead TD.

Regarding the strength of schedule, it has been touched on already, but the 72 Dolphins had one of the worst schedules ever. They didn't play a team that had a record over .500 over the course of the regular season.

There are currently 9 teams outside of the Patriots that have won 10 games or more this season. The Pats have played 6 of those teams, three of them on the road.

Not counting the New England games, Dallas and Indy are 26-2. The Pats beat them both on the road.

Saying they have a poor schedule is clutching at straws. As for health, any good team needs to be healthy and have some luck to succeed. Would that mean that the Colts championship last year is tainted because Manning played instead of Sorgi?

To me, a team wins a Super Bowl every season. While it's a very special accomplishment, it gets done by someone every year. A team going 16-0 has never been done and may never be done again. It seems like quite a few people are undermining the accomplishment. IF I ALREADY HAD A SUPERBOWL RING, I would take the 16-0 season before another ring.

Does it lose a bit of its luster if they fail in the playoffs? Naturally, as it's no longer a "perfect season". However, far be it for me to label a team chokers if they lose a game in the playoffs. Going 16-0 is an amazing accomplishment enough, let alone asking a team to go 19-0. This is even more spectacular by the fact that it was done in the salary cap era. There are so many factors that can play into a game, injuries, bad calls, etc. that truly make it a game of inches. I don't see how the Pats losing to the Jags or the Colts or the Cowboys could be classified as choking (unless they stink it up and lose something like 35-17). Those are all very good football teams who are just as capable of beating the Pats as the Pats are of beating them. When the 2004 Steelers (who are actually only one game worse than the Pats) lost in playoffs, it wasn't them choking, but rather them losing to another very good football team.

I don't see how it would be any different this time around.

well said sir
Old 12-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #260
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Squeaky wheel, imo. I think your average non pats fan on this board is rooting against them but respects what they've done, or is fairly indifferent as far as rooting for/against them but impressed by what they've done. Its a minority of people for sure trying to downplay what the Pats have done this season from what i can tell.

Exactly how much value 16-0 has if they don't win the super bowl to me is a totally separate discussion and doesn't have anything to do with respect, but how history may view this season if it doesn't have a super bowl win.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #261
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The Pats are simply phenominal, there's no other way to put it. I think the one thing that irks people is when they get a few "50-50" calls going their way in a game (ie, Baltimore or NYG games). It's not that most other teams fail to get those calls from time to time, it's almost like having a father-son basketball game with the Dads getting all the love from the refs. It just makes a situation that seemed unfair on talent to begin with even more silly. But, you can't really fault NE for that - they are just a great team this year.

As to the NFC North, I don't think the Packers have a UFA starter for offense or defense. And, given GB is the youngest team in the league, Brett calling it quits is the only factor that could derail them next year (if you are not a Rodgers fan). The Bears still have to settle on a QB and a RB, find a way to keep Briggs and Berrian (UFAs) and hope all their seriously injured guys come back effective. I'd be more optimistic about the Vikings in 2008 than the Bears at this point.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #262
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
This just in. Travis Kirschke is NOT Aaron Smith.

Yes sir. The playoff game can be ugly. No Smith or Parker.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #263
MikeVic
Head Coach

I respect what the Pats have done, and would root for them like I did for the Colts (when the Steelers are out of the picture), except for two things:

1. They've had good success and have won Super Bowls far too recently.
2. The constant bitching and whining from Pats fans on this board. I know one guy in person that's a Pats fan, and although he makes excuses here and there... every fan does for their team. So it's tolerable. Some of the whining and "show us respect!!!!!!!" from people on this board has made be so sour on the Pats.

But I still respect them.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #264
Radii
Head Coach

I love the cover story on espn.com... well, the banner the browns fan has in the image, at least:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007...s_fans_412.jpg
Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #265
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I love the cover story on espn.com... well, the banner the browns fan has in the image, at least:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007...s_fans_412.jpg

What the... Is Dungy C3PO?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #266
highfiveoh
Banned

The Vikings have a new quarterback - Jerome Elway would be his name.
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #267
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It's amazing to follow the Bolts going from being dead and buried after 4 games to the 3rd seed of the AFC.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #268
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Not many people in New Jersey for the Jets/KC game. It's freakin empty. Game is in overtime too.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #269
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I don't think Derek Anderson is any better than Damon Huard.. That is to say, he has been very lucky a lot of times this season, and his receivers have bailed him out a lot.. He probably won't have another season remotely close to this. To me, what I have seen of Brady Quinn is enough to say he is still a better quarterback and I wouldn't second guess giving him the job next season no matter what Derek Anderson has done.

He has had a good year, yes.. But I suspect he has been playing way above his true abilities. Hence the comparison to Huard.

Huh?

I don't think that Derek Anderson is the second coming or anything, but he's put up some great numbers this year. I haven't watched every Browns game (though I probably have seen way more than your typical Bay Area resident/49er fan), but how can his receivers bail him out to the tune of 3,635 yards, 28 TDs, 18 INTs and an 82.7 QB Rating? At some point that has to be something he is doing right, or someone else would have been successful in Cleveland.

And how in the freaking world is 3/8 Passing enough to make you think that Quinn will be any better than Anderson? True enough, a sure-thing TD pass was dropped (I'm giving Braylon the benefit of the doubt on the other one, Clements made that a difficult ball to catch)...but it's only 8 passes. Versus a full season of 80+ QB Rating.

Derek Anderson seems to be getting crapped on just because he had ONE really bad game when it counted. I don't think he's amazing or anything, but damned if he wasn't a DECENT quarterback this season, and people are forgetting it rather quickly.

Caveat - As a 49ers fan, I have not seen much good play out of the QB position lately.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 12-30-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #270
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
2. The constant bitching and whining from Pats fans on this board. I know one guy in person that's a Pats fan, and although he makes excuses here and there... every fan does for their team. So it's tolerable. Some of the whining and "show us respect!!!!!!!" from people on this board has made be so sour on the Pats.

Whatever dude, but I find it hypocritical that it's acceptable to attack the Pats for everything up to but just short of the war in Iraq, but unacceptable for a Pats fan to defend them from such attacks. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll get to say it again: there are whining arrogant fans for EVERY sports team, and the only reason people love to pick on the Pats fans is because the team is successful right now.

Wait a second, I guess I can deal with that
Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I'm a huge Giants fan and I respect the Pats and generaly root for them and enjoy watching them play.

That being said there were some horrible calls last night. A phantom illegeal contact call that kept the Pats first drive alive. 2 bad calls on Toomer. Rodney Harrison trying to gouge out Brandon Jacobs eye and not getting ejected.

I'm not blaming the Giants loss on the officials. It was their game and they blew it. They have no one to blame but themselves. But if you don't think the officiating was off last night we were watching a different game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #272
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm a huge Giants fan and I respect the Pats and generaly root for them and enjoy watching them play.

That being said there were some horrible calls last night. A phantom illegeal contact call that kept the Pats first drive alive. 2 bad calls on Toomer. Rodney Harrison trying to gouge out Brandon Jacobs eye and not getting ejected.

I'm not blaming the Giants loss on the officials. It was their game and they blew it. They have no one to blame but themselves. But if you don't think the officiating was off last night we were watching a different game.

that was wilfork not harrison. And i'm sure he'll be on the receiving end of a 10k fine for that.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #273
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that was wilfork not harrison. And i'm sure he'll be on the receiving end of a 10k fine for that.

And in fairness, no one saw it because the officials were breaking up a fight away from that exchange. It's not like the umpire was standing right there and chose to ignore it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #274
st.cronin
General Manager

Also he was not "trying to gouge" anybody's eyes out. It was an aggressive finger-point, there was no intent to injure. Which was not the case in some of the Giant's weaker/dirtier moments...

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #275
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

you aren't going to mention the end zone celebration call that set up a Giants touchdown?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #276
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
you aren't going to mention the end zone celebration call that set up a Giants touchdown?

That was a bad call.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Also he was not "trying to gouge" anybody's eyes out. It was an aggressive finger-point, there was no intent to injure. Which was not the case in some of the Giant's weaker/dirtier moments...

your kiddig right?

aggressive finger point?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #278
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
your kiddig right?

aggressive finger point?

Watch it again. There was no attempt to injure, none whatsoever. If he had wanted to hurt the guy, he definitely could have injured Jacobs - but what he was doing was a gesture, nothing more.

knives out
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Watch it again. There was no attempt to injure, none whatsoever. If he had wanted to hurt the guy, he definitely could have injured Jacobs - but what he was doing was a gesture, nothing more.

how can you seriously speculate what his intent was?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #280
Rizon
Pro Starter

If the Colts win tonight, I win $400 in my yearlong pickem pool. If they lose, then I get $0. I didn't really want it to come down to that. :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #281
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Again, not saying he isn't a great player, but he doesn't deserve all the hype he gets.

Just making the point that he hasn't done anything worthwhile on his own.

It is impressive, but I'd say reserve judgment on him until we see how he is as an overall football player. I wonder what Brian Mitchell or Daunte Hall or Joshua Cribbs would do in his position with the same 10 guys blocking for him.

I'm going to assume you are TRYING to make a stupid point to annoy people. I do that all the time because it is ammusing watching the reactions of certain people.

But if you are being serious, you are dumb. e.g. raider fan
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #282
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I think the Anderson/Quinn story will be very interesting this season. The Browns got Quinn at a reasonable contract number, so they could carry both . . . but if they can't reach a contract with Anderson, I think a team will take him with a 1st and 3rd after the highest FA tender. So, then they have to think instead about exclusive franchise tender (big money) to protect him from any poaching. And then try to trade him for more. I honestly don't know what I would do. Good young QBs are hard to find. If Quinn doesn't pan out, letting Anderson go is a big mistake. But if Quinn is good, then imagine what the Browns could do to upgrade the franchise by adding 2 1st round picks (which I think some teams would pay for him in a trade).

Very interesting indeed.

Or do you trade Quinn?? So many avenues to go here.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-30-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #283
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, I don't know that he's worth 2 1st rounders...without the stinker against Cinci, maybe he was, but that crappy outing DOES stick out in peoples' memories, moreso because it was a pressure game to get the team into the playoffs.

I am thankful I don't have to make that decision though -- the team is pretty darn close to being a good team, and screwing it up could get you hated in Cleveland really, really quick.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #284
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I'm going to assume you are TRYING to make a stupid point to annoy people. I do that all the time because it is ammusing watching the reactions of certain people.

But if you are being serious, you are dumb. e.g. raider fan

Correct. Raiders is completely blind. Calling a guy that scores a TD when touching the ball as few times as Hester does is unique weapon. Is he as good as a star QB, RB, WR, or CB. No. But he still has incredible impact as a returner. He's won several games for the Bears. As for any argument that he is only the product of good blocking, that is just delusional. Even with good blocking, you have to have the vision, speed, and agility to take advantage of it, which Hester does more than anyone in the history of the NFL. I'd still trade him for a top notch WR or RB though, because the Bears are in desperate need of both.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #285
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

I see where you are coming from, but you still can't be sticking your finger inside a facemask. Even an accidental injury could occur. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Wilfork is a little bit of a jackass. But I have come to realize over the past 2 seasons that the Pats are not the hardworking angels I took them for. They are involved in no more and no less jackassery than most teams.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #286
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

A gesture where he placed his finger inside his facemask, pushed it further in, pushed again, and then pushed one more time.

No offense, but you sound like an idiot.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #287
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I see where you are coming from, but you still can't be sticking your finger inside a facemask. Even an accidental injury could occur.

Oh, I absolutely agree.

knives out
Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #288
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Listen.

I don't want to come accross as some whiney sore loser. The Pats won the game and the Giants blew it. I'm not saying it was because of the officials, I'm just saying I thought they called a lopsided game.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #289
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Listen.

I don't want to come accross as some whiney sore loser. The Pats won the game and the Giants blew it. I'm not saying it was because of the officials, I'm just saying I thought they called a lopsided game.

I thought it was lopsided as well. The reasons why most of the 50/50 calls went there way will never be answered so I chose to remain silent about that issue.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #290
Galaril
Pro Starter

Woo-hoo. Titans up 7-0. ..............Wayne fumble! That hit on Wayne was one of the hardest I have seen all season. You could almost see his whole body collapse and the hit was straight head on wow.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #291
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm amazed that people really seem to think that the NFL is intentionally favoring the Pats. If something like this was going on, you don't think there's one Colts fan or anyone else that hates the Pats that would blow the whistle, put a stop to it, or even counteract it with their own devious plan?

Give it a rest. I hate the Pats, but the games aren't being fixed to help them go 19-0, the moon landing wasn't fake, and Mikey didn't die from ingesting Pop Rocks and Soda.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #292
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Woo-hoo. Titans up 7-0. ..............Wayne fumble! That hit on Wayne was one of the hardest I have seen all season. You could almost see his whole body collapse and the hit was straight head on wow.

NO NO BAD VERY BAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #293
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
NO NO BAD VERY BAD

Titans fan say good
Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #294
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I had a fight with a buddy of mine who was convinced the Sox won the series in '04 because the whole season was rigged. I had to re-evaluate my opinion of his intelligence.

Same situation here. Even if it's only a single game.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-30-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #295
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

This may be the first and only time I cheer on the Colts. I'd love to see the Browns in the playoffs.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #296
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I think the Anderson/Quinn story will be very interesting this season. The Browns got Quinn at a reasonable contract number, so they could carry both . . . but if they can't reach a contract with Anderson, I think a team will take him with a 1st and 3rd after the highest FA tender.
I don't know about that. First, it's going to cost a 1st, a 3rd and a big money deal to make that happen. Almost every team that needs a QB bad enough to go after Anderson for that price is drafting in the top 10-15. That means it costs even more for them. You are looking at possible teams like Miami (#1), Atlanta (top 6), Baltimore (#7-8), Chicago (10-15) and Minnesota (16-19) as the only teams seemingly willing to pay near that price (SF doesn't have a 1st). You could probably throw out Chicago and Minnesota as one has very pressing UFAs (Bears) and the other a young QB they like (Jackson). So, you would to be looking at these things for Anderson to leave:

1. One of these teams decides to part with a high pick in rounds 1 and 3 and signs him an offer sheet with enough guarantees to ensure Cleveland doesn't match.

2. Anderson decides to go to sign the offer and go to teams like Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore or maybe Chicago and Minny that have most of their money on D and at RB. Compare that to the Browns with their money at OT, WR and TE. A higher chance would be he goes to Cleveland after receiving interest and lets them make an offer in that ballpark first.

But, the worst thing about giving Anderson a franchise tag is you lose all that space to potentially use on upgrading the Browns defense. Tying up all that money when guys like Lance Briggs, Jared Allen, Terrell Suggs, Asante Samuel, Karlos Dansby and others are out there seems like a bad move (and thats not counting guys like Haynesworth and Trufant who will probably be franchised). Worst case, you lose Anderson to a crazy FA offer and get money to spend on a top defensive player, a high 1st and 3rd in this draft and have Quinn at QB. Best case, Anderson signs a fair long term team deal and you haven't wrapped up all your cap space in him during the negociations.

Of course, after all this, my money is on him extending before the FA period even starts.

Last edited by Arles : 12-30-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #297
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think Browns fans are crying at the appearance of Jim Sorgi
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #298
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You have to love that play.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #299
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Gotta love Madden's explanation of the double touch where he says "double touch" as many times as possible in one sentence. Is this Madden or Caliendo doing Madden?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #300
Galaril
Pro Starter

Boy, I will say one thing I wish my good ole Titans had the drafting prowess of the Pats front office. I think that this year has expsoed Vince Young as being another of these one trick running QBs ala Kordell Stewart. And don't evn get me started with using the 5th overall pick on Pacman in 05.