Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #251
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I don't know what to make of Ryan... he can look horrible for most of the game and then look amazing at the end of it. It's strange.

Want to edit that?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #252
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, uh, LSU or Oregon for #2?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oops

You don't often see a defender running with the Heisman Trophy like that.
He won't get to keep it, but he sure had it in his hands right there.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-03-2007 at 10:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #254
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know what to make of Ryan... he can look horrible for most of the game and then look amazing at the end of it. It's strange.

Now THAT'S how you jinx a guy.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #255
Atocep
Coordinator

Now the ridiculous Matt Ryan heisman talk is done.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #256
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So, uh, LSU or Oregon for #2?

SI

Neither, Kansas.

knives out
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #257
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Neither, Kansas.

If Kansas wins out (including a win over Oklahoma in the title game), are they in the BCS title game?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #258
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bad matty!! no #2 ranking! no bcs bowl! no heisman!!

oh and it wasn't "ridiculous matt ryan heisman talk" atocep. kid's still going to be the #1 or at worst #2 QB drafted next year.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #259
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

so.. Hawaii, Kansas, Ohio St. undefeated.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #260
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, I'd love to see Ohio St. and Kansas play for the BCS championship as 2 undefeateds
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #261
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
If Kansas wins out (including a win over Oklahoma in the title game), are they in the BCS title game?

Well, I have no idea what the BCS will do in that scenario. But I tend to think if Kansas and Ohio State win out, then it should be Kansas vs. Ohio State.

knives out
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #262
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

oh and it wasn't "ridiculous matt ryan heisman talk" atocep. kid's still going to be the #1 or at worst #2 QB drafted next year.

Draft position doesn't mean anything.

Going into last week he was the 16th in passing effiency. Going into this week he was 54th. He has 2 games where he completed less than 50% of his passes. As a guy that doesn't bring anything other than his arm to the table, thats not good.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #263
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, I have no idea what the BCS will do in that scenario. But I tend to think if Kansas and Ohio State win out, then it should be Kansas vs. Ohio State.

I agree, but I was wondering what the BCS would do. Right now, they'll move up at least two spots with BC and Arizona State falling.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #264
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm just glad it's over because I'm tired of hearing the media's love-in about how great it is to be a Boston sports fan right now. What's funnier is, the fact that the Bruins have to be smarting that they've never part of that talk.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #265
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I agree, but I was wondering what the BCS would do. Right now, they'll move up at least two spots with BC and Arizona State falling.

My guess is if LSU wins out it'll be LSU vs. Ohio State (if Ohio State wins out) or Kansas (if Kansas wins out).

If there are a bunch of 1 loss teams to choose from, then it will be LSU vs. Oregon (if Oregon wins out), or the Big Twelve champion (if that's somebody with one loss).

If all those teams lose another game or two, then it will be Notre Dame vs. Florida.

knives out
Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #266
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

If all those teams lose another game or two, then it will be Notre Dame vs. Florida.

Navy fans will be pissed.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #267
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now THAT'S how you jinx a guy.

Yay!! Go Oregon!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #268
rowech
Pro Starter

This week's voting is very important. You have to say OSU is #1. Nobody else should be getting any votes at this point. After that, people better seriously consider who the #2 team is out of LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma and Kansas because at this point, I would think that team would have their way to the title in their own hands. For what it's worth, here's mine:

1. OSU
2. Oregon
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma
5. Kansas

Even if Oregon jumps to #2 (which I don't think they will) it would be really interesting to see if one of those other teams would leapfrog them at the end of the season because of the conference title game.

Last edited by rowech : 11-03-2007 at 11:14 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #269
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This week's voting is very important. You have to say OSU is #1. Nobody else should be getting any votes at this point. After that, people better seriously consider who the #2 team is out of LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma and Kansas because at this point, I would think that team would have their way to the title in their own hands. For what it's worth, here's mine:

1. OSU
2. Oregon
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma
5. Kansas

Even if Oregon jumps to #2 (which I don't think they will) it would be really interesting to see if one of those other teams would leapfrog them at the end of the season because of the conference title game.

The Big 12 title game could be huge, if both teams win out.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #270
st.cronin
General Manager

How can Kansas not be #2, is my question?

knives out
Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #271
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

Because it's football and not basketball.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #272
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Because it's football and not basketball.

knives out
Old 11-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #273
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Have you seen their schedule?

Not to take anything away, because being undefeated this late (especially this season) is a hell of an accomplishment. However, we won't find out how good Kansas is until their last regular season game.

LSU, Oregon, and Oklahoma have played better teams. LSU lost in OT to Kentucky, Oregon lost by 7 to Cal, and Oklahomo lost by 3 to Colorado. None of those losses are particularly embarassing.

If you to ask me who I thought the best teams in the country are right now, I'd have Kansas around #5, but willing to move them up above the others if they can get past Missouri and Oklahoma.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #274
Tigercat
College Starter

How come we can never decide what college football polls should reflect: best team or best season?

I can understand why fans would call Oregon their #2 team and think, as I think this second, that they are the second best team in the nation. But have they had the best or second best season thus far? I have always thought thats what the polls and the computers should rank. BCS should and hopefully will have LSU at #2.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #275
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
How come we can never decide what college football polls should reflect: best team or best season?

I can understand why fans would call Oregon their #2 team and think, as I think this second, that they are the second best team in the nation. But have they had the best or second best season thus far? I have always thought thats what the polls and the computers should rank. BCS should and hopefully will have LSU at #2.

Actually, I can see an argument for having even the "second best season" for Oregon so far. Only 3 games they've played this year have the opponent been within 2 TDs of them. One was the loss to Cal, which was one foot away from being tied at the end of the game. One was the TD victory over USC and the other was the 12 point win over ASU.

LSU has played a lot of good teams, but they just haven't looked all that impressive to me in the last few weeks, having to come from behind, in games they could have easily lost. I mean LSU could easily have had 3 losses by now (make that 4... forgot about the Florida game).

I never got the impression that Oregon was even close to that much trouble against USC or ASU, even though the score was relatively close against USC.

IMO, that means that Oregon has had a more impressive season than LSU.

edit: Interestingly enough, the BCS computers had Arizona State tied for #2 with Ohio State (Boston College was #1). LSU was #4 while Oregon was #6... though beating the #2 computer ranked team will probably help Oregon a lot in the computers.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-04-2007 at 12:04 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #276
RedKingGold
College Starter

Not only that, but that win over Michigan looks a lot more impressive now than it did in Week 2

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #277
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Big 12 title game could be huge, if both teams win out.

Kansas has to get by Missouri first.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #278
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
\
LSU has played a lot of good teams, but they just haven't looked all that impressive to me in the last few weeks, having to come from behind, in games they could have easily lost. I mean LSU could easily have had 3 losses by now (make that 4... forgot about the Florida game).

I never got the impression that Oregon was even close to that much trouble against USC or ASU, even though the score was relatively close against USC.
]

See, maybe its just me and the way I think about things, but these two statements scream that Oregon is be the best team; not necessarily the team that has accomplished the most.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #279
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See, maybe its just me and the way I think about things, but these two statements scream that Oregon is be the best team; not necessarily the team that has accomplished the most.

Well, at least according to Sagarin's SOS (before this week's games), LSU had the 16th toughest schedule and Oregon had the 20th. So I'm not sure that even asking which team "accomplished the most", Oregon was all that far from LSU in the discussion (if they weren't equal in that respect).
Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 AM   #280
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
and Oklahomo lost by 3 to Colorado.

His true feelings come out!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #281
MJ4H
Coordinator

No one even mentioned Darren McFadden's 323 yards rushing tonight? SEC Record.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #282
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I was more impressed with his 23 yard td pass.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #283
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Did you hear me talking about how much I was loving it when we beat the tar out of them?

Anywho, you know I love both you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Dear god I hate Mishitgan

Quote:
Spartans make Schmidty sad.

Quote:
Spartans make RendeR Sad Too.

Hi!

Hail to the victors, boys!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #284
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So yeah Kirby Freeman: 1-14 for 84 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT

How did FSU let this guy beat them?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #285
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I hate you Karl Dorrell. You are a shitty coach

You see, why the passion at this point? I am actually positive, feeling he is now all but certain to be fired. Guerrero gets one more chance to get this right. The first time, he had to concentrate on basketball and skimp on football. He got Howland and Dorrell. So he's one-for-two. Now Dorrell has raised the contract standards at UCLA, and I can only hope Guerrero will fill that contract with an appropriate level coach.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #286
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The statements you quoted scream to me that Oregon is a better team AND having a better season than LSU.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #287
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
No one even mentioned Darren McFadden's 323 yards rushing tonight? SEC Record.

Err, I don't really care about college football, but 323 sounded like cartoon numbers - and lo and behold, he actually did it. At some point, wouldn't you just put 9 men in the damn box?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #288
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Wells with his second long TD run of the 2nd half to give Ohio State the lead, 24-17.

Great game by Beanie, he's been sick the last several days - which is why he got limited action in the 1st half. And he has been battling a badly sprained ankle since the Washington game.

I'm beginning to think he should get some Heisman talk, the last three weeks he's been one of the elite running backs. His numbers for the season aren't too far off of Ray Rice and Mike Hart.

C. Wells - 195 car, 1165 yds, 10 TDs
R. Rice - 255 car, 1257 yds, 14 TDs
M. Hart - 215 car, 1188 yds, 12 TDs
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #289
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hi!

Appalachian State.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #290
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Great game by Beanie, he's been sick the last several days - which is why he got limited action in the 1st half. And he has been battling a badly sprained ankle since the Washington game.

I'm beginning to think he should get some Heisman talk, the last three weeks he's been one of the elite running backs. His numbers for the season aren't too far off of Ray Rice and Mike Hart.

C. Wells - 195 car, 1165 yds, 10 TDs
R. Rice - 255 car, 1257 yds, 14 TDs
M. Hart - 215 car, 1188 yds, 12 TDs

Based on those number he oughtta be way ahead of those two in consideration for heisman talk. His YPR is far better than Rice and a bit better than Hart. And as you said, he's missed large chunks of game time with the ankle *and ran on it when he was in those games*

Wells should be considered well ahead of those two right now. Expecially if you take in their teams' performances as a deciding factor as well.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #291
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Err, I don't really care about college football, but 323 sounded like cartoon numbers - and lo and behold, he actually did it. At some point, wouldn't you just put 9 men in the damn box?

I didn't see the whole game but I'm betting they did.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #292
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Add to the cartoony numbers that he only had 1 TD???? Then the week before he had 60 yds and 3 TDs.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #293
sooner333
College Starter

Until this week, Oklahoma had the best win in the top 10. Still could turn out that way if Mizzou gets above BC and ASU. However, they have the worst loss of the top 10 teams as well. It seems that all that gets mention is the bad loss, but they do have the best win as well.

Kansas' schedule will take care of itself. They will finish the season with their two hardest games, by far, against two top-ten teams. If they get through that gauntlet, I'm confident they will jump some one-loss teams to get in the championship game. They haven't done enough to deserve a top-2 ranking now, but they will by the end of the season.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #294
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hi!

How did I get included in that?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #295
Huckleberry
College Starter

The only thing less likely than Kansas winning out through the conference championship is Kansas getting left out of the title game if they win out through the conference championship.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #296
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

They won't be in the championship game, but no BCS bowl? All they have to do to get there is to win in Jacksonville in the ACC championship game. Wake is still 2 losses behind them in the Atlantic. (I hate Virginia)
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #297
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
They won't be in the championship game, but no BCS bowl? All they have to do to get there is to win in Jacksonville in the ACC championship game. Wake is still 2 losses behind them in the Atlantic. (I hate Virginia)

Clemson is 1 loss behind and BC comes to Death Valley....

Oh and theey have the #1 ranked pass D in the country
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #298
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
1.) the buyout would be ridiculous

2.) everything I've heard says ND officials had pretty much written this year off.

Considering how the next 2 recruiting classes are shaping up, it'd be stupid for ND to change coaches again and start over.

[just to stir the pot]
#3 He is white silly...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #299
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Kansas has to get by Missouri first.

Hell, we have to get past Okie State in Stillwater next week first.

SI

Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #300
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's the thing, it's purposely vague, kindof like MVP or Heisman voting. If there were actual subjective criteria, we probably wouldn't be having as much discussion. However, I imagine voters fall into one of three camps: "best team", "best season", and then a conglomeration of both with it being 50/50 or 75/25 because I've heard quite a few AP voters talk and they've said as much.

SI