Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #251
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
By the same definitions you are using in other EULAs, FOF's EULA doesn't actually say that. It says you are entitle to install the "software" on one computer. Having two licenses doesn't imply that you can install the "software" on two computers. According to the letter of the word of the EULA, one copy of the software = one computer. My impression is that two licenses are issued as a convenience for the consumer and software developer. Taking advantage of that convenience doesn't mean its right.

Correctomundo!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #252
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
16 members and 5 guests viewing this thread. It's 5 pages long. You guys are clearly not letting sleeping SkyDogs lie.

What part of the title do you people not understand?

Well, when you scold children, it is important to let them know what exactly they did wrong. And in this case, the community was accused of engaging in illegal activity, but that activity has not been shown to be illegal. It has been proven that some game EULAs state that you are not allowed to sell or trade your copy once you've installed it and used it. However, no such language has been found in the EULAs of the games in question. So the community is left wondering exactly what was done wrong.

On the positive, it has been pointed out some recent games are explicitly attempting to disallow this, so we've all learned something, but on the other hand you have the community wondering why someone was banned for doing something that most of us have done, continue to do, and appears to have been all legal and above-board.

So we've all been scolded, but we're not exactly sure why this suddenly erupted with no warning and with no apparent backing. As confused children, we're trying to figure out what exactly we did that raised dad's ire, and why he didn't just post a nice "folks, I've allowed this in the past, but since paying attention to some recent EULAs and noticing that language has changed, I'm going to forbid any game trading from here on out to avoid any potential legal entanglements for the board".

I've been sitting here since I first read this post trying to figure out exactly what got our moderator's hackles up, and I still can't. This is coming from someone who is usually quick to jump to SkyDog's defense when others think he's overreacted. Between this and the whole deal with the new moderately insulting titles ("has started shaving" for our female members? "cocky and funny" was created as a direct insult, wasn't it?), I don't think it's been a good week for the board.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #253
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did they look anything like... this?

If I only had pictures from some of our halloween parties...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #254
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Well, when you scold children, it is important to let them know what exactly they did wrong. And in this case, the community was accused of engaging in illegal activity, but that activity has not been shown to be illegal. It has been proven that some game EULAs state that you are not allowed to sell or trade your copy once you've installed it and used it. However, no such language has been found in the EULAs of the games in question. So the community is left wondering exactly what was done wrong.

On the positive, it has been pointed out some recent games are explicitly attempting to disallow this, so we've all learned something, but on the other hand you have the community wondering why someone was banned for doing something that most of us have done, continue to do, and appears to have been all legal and above-board.

So we've all been scolded, but we're not exactly sure why this suddenly erupted with no warning and with no apparent backing. As confused children, we're trying to figure out what exactly we did that raised dad's ire, and why he didn't just post a nice "folks, I've allowed this in the past, but since paying attention to some recent EULAs and noticing that language has changed, I'm going to forbid any game trading from here on out to avoid any potential legal entanglements for the board".

I've been sitting here since I first read this post trying to figure out exactly what got our moderator's hackles up, and I still can't. This is coming from someone who is usually quick to jump to SkyDog's defense when others think he's overreacted. Between this and the whole deal with the new moderately insulting titles ("has started shaving" for our female members? "cocky and funny" was created as a direct insult, wasn't it?), I don't think it's been a good week for the board.

You're on thin ice bucko. One more word, you and your EULA violating utilities are OUTTA HERE!!!

Of course I jest and agree with what you posted above.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #255
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Like the guy that Skydog banned was really going to be a contributing member of the board. He had something like 2 posts in 3 years. I don't think Skydog would have banned a more active member. Would you rather he allow messages like "ENJOY 6 INCHS and 2 FET OF GIRTH WITH PENISENLARGERR." which probably aren't illegal, but definitely don't belong on the board?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #256
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Like the guy that Skydog banned was really going to be a contributing member of the board. He had something like 2 posts in 3 years. I don't think Skydog would have banned a more active member. Would you rather he allow messages like "ENJOY 6 INCHS and 2 FET OF GIRTH WITH PENISENLARGERR." which probably aren't illegal, but definitely don't belong on the board?

because clearly, that is the only possible alternative to this bannination
Old 12-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #257
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Did they look anything like... this?

I hope she doesn't loose her tongue.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Like the guy that Skydog banned was really going to be a contributing member of the board. He had something like 2 posts in 3 years.

Careful, you're going to be accused of using common sense in this thread.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #259
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Correctomundo!
hey where were you when i made that point 2 pages ago.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #260
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
hey where were you when i made that point 2 pages ago.

taking a nap. i was tired from trying to wrap my brain around such logic as "i'm going to ban this guy but not close a stickied game trading thread".
Old 12-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #261
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What incredibly elitist thinking. There have been posters in the past that have been around a long time without adding much and then decided to start participating in the discussions. History is a good predictor of future behavior, but it's far from 100% accurate.

Even if what he had done was against the EULA's of the games in question (still not proven), was banning necessary? A warning and locking of the thread wouldn't have gotten the point across?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #262
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

I guess this is where we disagree. Some longtime lurkers become contributors. Check out my Antmeister profile. I have 10 posts in 3 years. Then I forgot my password when I logged off and made this new one. I still didn't really post that often until the last year. And there still is no good reason why he was banned so what does post count have to do with anything?
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #263
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
What incredibly elitist thinking. There have been posters in the past that have been around a long time without adding much and then decided to start participating in the discussions. History is a good predictor of future behavior, but it's far from 100% accurate.

Even if what he had done was against the EULA's of the games in question (still not proven), was banning necessary? A warning and locking of the thread wouldn't have gotten the point across?

Stop reading my thoughts!
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #264
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I know some other posters wouldn't mind getting a penis enlarger.

Uhhhhhh....definitely not me. Yeah...not me.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #265
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think I have ever been accused on being elitist before. An elitist would ignore somebody with like 200-300 posts because they have 12,000. This guy had 2 posts, one of which was looking to trade for a game. (I don't know the guys name, but I would love to see what his other post was) Sorry, this is a stupid, non-issue.

I would take that seriously if you had more posts.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #266
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't think I have ever been accused on being elitist before. An elitist would ignore somebody with like 200-300 posts because they have 12,000. This guy had 2 posts, one of which was looking to trade for a game. (I don't know the guys name, but I would love to see what his other post was) Sorry, this is a stupid, non-issue.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #267
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

He had more than 2 posts, I think it was 7 or 8. Anyway, his other posts were discussing TCY stuff.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #268
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

clearly we have not "let sleeping Skydog's lie", well... we have let him lie but not very well...

I'm anxiously awaiting our promised "our else" punishment.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #269
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, this is a stupid, non-issue.

The level of objection to SkyDog's stance here is clear evidence that it's most definitely an issue, and the number of posts by the person banned doesn't change the fact that SkyDog over-reacted.

Antmeister is a perfect example of why judging someone by their post count is stupid - he's one of the most enjoyable posters here, and yet he's only recently become an active poster after a long period of time with very few posts.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Antmeister is a perfect example ...

And that's one out of ???

The odds of a valued member coming from the ranks of 2+ year lurkers aren't exactly the kind that make you rush to the betting window.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #271
Easy Mac

who the hell is antmeister?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #272
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Antmeister is a perfect example of why judging someone by their post count is stupid - he's one of the most enjoyable posters here, and yet he's only recently become an active poster after a long period of time with very few posts.

plus, 95% of his posts are in the freeware thread.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #273
Galaxy
Coordinator

I keep thinking Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac when I see the title of this thread.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #274
Joe
Pro Starter

this is the guy that got banninated:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...searchid=93350
Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #275
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Jon I don't know if I'm a "valued" member but I had about 30 posts, almost all comments in Quiksand dynasties, in nearly three years here.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 12-04-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #276
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

The odds of a valued member coming from the ranks of 2+ year lurkers aren't exactly the kind that make you rush to the betting window.

But why is he any less entitled to keep lurking? If I'm not incorrect, once you're banned you can't even read the board. My posts/day average is extremely low, yet I come here several times a day. I love this board. I love the discussions. I love the people. But because I don't "contribute", I shouldn't deserve to be judged on the same level as someone who writes more often?

The guy made a mistake. One mistake.. and a mistake that according to just about everyone here wouldn't have resulted in a banning for most regulars. But since he's only posted a few times he deserves a harsher punishment?

That just doesn't compute.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:44 PM   #277
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
this is the guy that got banninated:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...searchid=93350

sorry, no matches were found
Old 12-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #278
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Guilty until proven innocent, right?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #279
Rizon
Pro Starter

This thread is like herpes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #280
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Let's just go ahead and ban them all. Let's call it a preemptive strike designed to maintain the safety and integrity of the board.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #281
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah anyone who's been here less than a year posting with less than 300 posts... wait...

Also, just close the place to new registration because the new people will never have anything useful either.

You don't have enough posts to have a valid opinion on the subject.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #282
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Let's just go ahead and ban them all. Let's call it a preemptive strike designed to maintain the safety and integrity of the board.
Yeah anyone who's been here less than a year posting with less than 300 posts... wait...

Also, just close the place to new registration because the new people will never have anything useful either.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #283
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
This thread is like herpes.

The gift that keeps on giving.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #284
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Now you're on the right track. Once you keep new people from getting in, you can more easily find the rat bastards that are hiding amongst the regulars and trying to subvert the system.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #285
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think there are 3 kinds of people that pirate. You have the people that do spend money on games. They pirate stuff, and purchase the stuff they really like. I think this group is a minority. The second kind, is people that pirate stuff, but rarely ever buy anything. The only stuff they buy, is games that have to have a cd-key to play online, or software that is not pirated. I would think that the majority of pirates probably fall into this group. The third group of people is those that do not buy anything. They claim that if there was not pirated stuff, they wouldnt buy anything anyways, so the company is not losing sales from them. I think the number of people that would not buy anything if they could not pirate has to be relatively small.

The second part of this issue is how many sales are truly lost. Lets say game X is pirates 150,000 times. Obviously you cannot say that 6.75million was lost, because you have no way of knowing how many people that pirated the game would have bought it.

I think that if there was no piracy, and there was no ablility to rent games, you might see a modest increase in revenues. But I don't think the jump would be a significant as some might believe.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek

Hmm ... you expecting a big gasp of horror from me over that notion?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #287
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I think there are 3 kinds of people that pirate.

Actually, I can think of four: Those with eye-patches, those with hooks, those with peg legs, and those with parrots on their shoulders.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #288
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Didn't really want to post in this thread again but, I've read his other 3 posts and I would agree that a ban was unnecessary in this case.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #289
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It's so unjust that Luther Campbell should write a song about it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #290
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Luther Vandross would have been better.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #291
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
But why is he any less entitled to keep lurking? If I'm not incorrect, once you're banned you can't even read the board. My posts/day average is extremely low, yet I come here several times a day. I love this board. I love the discussions. I love the people. But because I don't "contribute", I shouldn't deserve to be judged on the same level as someone who writes more often?

The guy made a mistake. One mistake.. and a mistake that according to just about everyone here wouldn't have resulted in a banning for most regulars. But since he's only posted a few times he deserves a harsher punishment?

That just doesn't compute.

i've stayed out of this until now, but i think i pretty much agree with Coder on this. And also, what about the potential financial impact on Jim/Arlie of this bannination? I know if I asked a question like that and was subsequently banned, even though intellectually I would know that Jim/Arlie had nothing to do with the banning, it'd be a cold day in hell before I ever supported those developers again.

does that make sense? did it come out right?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #292
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
It's so unjust that Luther Campbell should write a song about it.

Doing the right thing, and not the wrong
So listen up, y`all, to what we say
We won`t be banned in the FOFC!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #293
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice game by dem Chiefs today.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #294
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So.... 6 pages.... Any progress made one way or the other?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is there ever any progress in a thread like this where people just enjoy airing their laundry in public?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #296
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

If I were to sell my computer would I first have to remove all licensed games because they belong to me and me solely, or could I leave them licensed to that particular computer. I mean is Windows not transferable when selling a computer to another party, or do they have to provide a new copy of Windows for the computer..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:19 PM   #297
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i've stayed out of this until now, but i think i pretty much agree with Coder on this. And also, what about the potential financial impact on Jim/Arlie of this bannination? I know if I asked a question like that and was subsequently banned, even though intellectually I would know that Jim/Arlie had nothing to do with the banning, it'd be a cold day in hell before I ever supported those developers again.

does that make sense? did it come out right?

I've wondered this as well.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #298
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Not even HA's vivid imagination + Yngwie Malmsteen's most intense moment could capture the fullness of it.

i'm intrigued now. what would you do if you had the keys?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 PM   #299
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i'm intrigued now. what would you do if you had the keys?

Well, use your imagination, at least we'l get close
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #300
Anthony
Banned

i think he would ban anyone who openly admitted to illegally downloading MP3s. that's a start.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote