Retired

To elaborate:

The first good WoW content patch went live today. Some of the features include:

New Dungeon: Dire Maul - 56-60th level dungeon for 5 people
UI Improvements - more interface bars!
Chat Bubbles - to see who's talking
Class Improvements - mostly bug fixes, but some adjustments and new spells
Meeting Stones - to get a group together for an instance
New Outdoor Raid Encounters - some new high-level mobs to take down outside of instances

It sounds sweet!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #252
Danny
Head Coach

Downloading like a snail now. 3% after 25 minutes.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #253
Bad-example
College Starter

It doesn't sound like paladins got any love this time around. I still lurk the official forums in the hope that they will announce some improvements to make pally more fun to play.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #254
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
It doesn't sound like paladins got any love this time around. I still lurk the official forums in the hope that they will announce some improvements to make pally more fun to play.

I doubt it. The pally is one of the strongest characters in the game already.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #255
Danny
Head Coach

Man, this is going to take forever.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #256
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
I doubt it. The pally is one of the strongest characters in the game already.

Tough to kill, yes. But also tough to level because it takes so long to kill stuff. That means less exp and loot per hour played and most boring combat as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 PM   #257
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Tough to kill, yes. But also tough to level because it takes so long to kill stuff. That means less exp and loot per hour played and most boring combat as well.

True, but how do you fix it without either gimping pallys in groups or making them entirely overpowered?

As far as exp and loot, you forgot to figure that pallys, on average, can take on high-level mobs than most any other character. So there are fewer kills, but there's no downtime and the exp per kill tends to be greater.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #258
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
True, but how do you fix it without either gimping pallys in groups or making them entirely overpowered?

As far as exp and loot, you forgot to figure that pallys, on average, can take on high-level mobs than most any other character. So there are fewer kills, but there's no downtime and the exp per kill tends to be greater.

How to fix them? In the simplest terms, reduce their defense, increase their offense.

I believe that pallies get the lowest exp per hour of all the classes but have no way to back that up with numbers.

I keep looking at other classes to try and get interested enough to play one, but so far no luck.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #259
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Hey, Blackadar, which class do you feel levels the quickest. I have to admit, I have leveled a heck of a lot faster with my mage than my rogue (although I do die a little more often).
Old 03-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #260
Danny
Head Coach

Not that you asked me Arlie , but Rogues have the ability to level the fastest. My guess is you are leveling faster because you are more experienced with the game. Mages aren't too far behind though. Druids, paladins and warlocks seem to be the slowest.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #261
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Hey, Blackadar, which class do you feel levels the quickest. I have to admit, I have leveled a heck of a lot faster with my mage than my rogue (although I do die a little more often).

It really can vary on the player. I'm leveling my mage faster than my rogue, but probably because I know what I'm doing. So here would be my take on the fastest levelers:

1. Shaman - by far, the most powerful character in the game is a Shaman. I would think that they would level the quickest. They can kill everything else on the battlefield.
2. Hunter - hunters are the solo kings. Between them and their pet, they can take down multiple targets quickly. The only things that slow them down are food and ammo. It's probably why hunters are the most-played class in the game.
3. Rogues - little downtime and they can stealth some quests. That tends to slow down a bit at higher levels where you get a lot of exp. from instance groups. 2nd most played class.
4. Mage - they kill quickly, but the drinking downtime at higher levels can really slow you down. This isn't much of an issue until around level 40, but it gets annoying after that and really annoying at 55 or so.

I think everyone else is lumped together. Druids, Priests, Warlocks, Paladins and Warriors all tend to level about as quickly. Some kill faster than others but have to do it on lower-level mobs. Some have downtime but decent DPS. Others are taken into instances at lower levels because their skillset is very necessary.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #262
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Brokin responds to the Warrior fixes. I'm expecting what is hopefully at least a noticeable improvement.

I'm also looking forward to the UI improvements. I can now dump Cosmos, which I hate but was a necessity up to this point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #263
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I'm also looking forward to the UI improvements. I can now dump Cosmos, which I hate but was a necessity up to this point.

I'm getting to the point (19th level mage) that I was going to have to install one of those things, so I'm definitely looking forward to the UI improvements.

Chat bubbles could be helpful.

Meeting stones almost certainly will be.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #264
Danny
Head Coach

I ended up downloading the patch from 3-D Gaming as the blizzard download was ridiculously slow.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #265
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

8% and I've DL'ing on my broadband for like 20 minutes. I wonder if I'll renew WoW next month...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #266
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Won't do you any good even if you can get it downloaded.
All of the severs have been crashing every 5 mn.

They really screwed something up.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #267
Danny
Head Coach

Yup, I downloaded the patch a couple hours ago and haven't been able to get on my server.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 PM   #268
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
8% and I've DL'ing on my broadband for like 20 minutes. I wonder if I'll renew WoW next month...

Can you really blame them for slow download speed? Probably a half million people are downloading it from their servers at the same time. It's the same reason why the servers keep crashing. What they screwed up was the distribution of the patch.

Go to www.3dgamers.com and download it from there. I downloaded the BitTorrent file and had it pretty fast.....of course, Lothar isn't listed on the server list right now so it dowsn't matter....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #269
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Can you really blame them for slow download speed? Probably a half million people are downloading it from their servers at the same time. It's the same reason why the servers keep crashing. What they screwed up was the distribution of the patch.

Go to www.3dgamers.com and download it from there. I downloaded the BitTorrent file and had it pretty fast.....of course, Lothar isn't listed on the server list right now so it dowsn't matter....

Uh, no Sabotai. They use Bittorrent, so it's not half a million peeps downloading it from their servers. It's half a million peeps downloading it from each other - with major issues - and then not being able to get on to the servers at all.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #270
Danny
Head Coach

Honestly, the download speed I dont really blame them for all that much. However, they need to have their servers working when people have downloaded the file.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:12 PM   #271
sabotai
General Manager

Well I was smart enough to just get a BitTorrent file from a different location instead of downloading it from Blizzard (however they distribute it). If they're using BitTorrent, then why is the download speed so slow for everyone?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #272
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Well I was smart enough to just get a BitTorrent file from a different location instead of downloading it from Blizzard (however they distribute it). If they're using BitTorrent, then why is the download speed so slow for everyone?

I really don't know why it sucks so much. It's probably some sort of Bittorrent-like client...maybe not BT itself. But that is their patch distribution method. And I got it from a different source as well...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 PM   #273
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, if I remember correctly from the open beta, they use a BT-like client which sucks total monkey balls and it ends up coming mostly from their server anyway.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #274
Danny
Head Coach

Anyone here purchase their epic mounts yet or get any of their class armor sets? I need another 410 gold or so for my epic. I have 1/8 pieces of Wildheart gear, the belt.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #275
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Grilge, now a 20th Level Troll Mage, went into his first instance today: Ragefire Chasm. He learned something important about instances, which is that it's always nice to have someone who can rez.

As it was, the group I went in with included myself, a Level 20 Rogue, her friend the Level 14 Warrior (!), and a Level 19 Rogue. Two Rogues! HAHAHAHAHA!!! We wiped a few times.

The first Rogue knew what she was doing, and we'd approach most groups by her sapping one mob and me sheeping the other. This worked very well in the places where there were two guards (which we'd sap/sheep) and a "boss".

The Warrior was OK, but very underpowered. And the other Rogue was completely useless - no idea what he was doing and more than once brought us extra adds.

I did cheat death once by using Frost Nova and running for the Instance Entrance after everyone else had wiped and was running back from the graveyard. That was funny. I also more than once saved everyones bacon either through a) good AoE when we pulled too many mobs or b) nuking the hell out of a boss.

It's good to be a mage....
Old 03-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #276
Blackadar
Retired

Mages are sweet, aren't they?

Anyway, Pepper is 57 now. Or will be in about 1 bar...I can't remember which.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #277
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Mages are sweet, aren't they?

Anyway, Pepper is 57 now. Or will be in about 1 bar...I can't remember which.

Yeesh, you have two that almost are level 60 already. I started an alt undead mage named Glyce, he is level 12. I am still playing Pondura some. I want to build up my gold count so that I can get an epic mount when they update the graphics. 570 down, 330 to go
Old 03-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #278
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Did we lose GB, by the way?
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #279
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
Yeesh, you have two that almost are level 60 already. I started an alt undead mage named Glyce, he is level 12. I am still playing Pondura some. I want to build up my gold count so that I can get an epic mount when they update the graphics. 570 down, 330 to go

See, there's the difference. I don't have 250 gold between my 3 characters - Ronsinn has 130, Pepper 80 and Blackadar 20. I don't grind much at all. I level quickly, but I don't farm and I don't grind. It would take me a week or two of solid grinding mobs to get to 500 gold.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #280
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I'm kind of disappointed in some of the changes in the way travel works. It seems like they were implemented solely to make you stay in the game longer. You know have to wait for a boat beat Auberdine and Menethil Harbor. Also the flight from a Ironforge to Menethil Harbor takes about 10 times as long.

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 03-25-2005 at 03:09 PM.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #281
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Proud to say that NoobRockne has now reached level 12. Getting there and still trying to figure out the best way to play one of these games. Never thought that I would be hooked on an MMORPG. Did learn a major lesson, you need a group that you can trust. Took on something a couple levels over my head (which should have been okay with two extra players at levels around mine) but they both bailed and left me to get my butt kicked (actually I almost took it but ended up missing with my last attack and getting killed).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #282
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Is there any way to "break up" stacks in your inventory? For instance, let's say I have a stack of 20 Conjured Water, and I want to break this into a stack of 15 (for myself) and a stack of 5 (to trade with someone who just asked for some). Can that be done?

Also, I just realized that now that I'm level 20, I can use the Teleport spells! Woohoo!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #283
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Is there any way to "break up" stacks in your inventory? For instance, let's say I have a stack of 20 Conjured Water, and I want to break this into a stack of 15 (for myself) and a stack of 5 (to trade with someone who just asked for some). Can that be done?

Also, I just realized that now that I'm level 20, I can use the Teleport spells! Woohoo!

Shift-click the item.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #284
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
See, there's the difference. I don't have 250 gold between my 3 characters - Ronsinn has 130, Pepper 80 and Blackadar 20. I don't grind much at all. I level quickly, but I don't farm and I don't grind. It would take me a week or two of solid grinding mobs to get to 500 gold.

I didn't grind at all to get 500 gold (thats what I had when I reached 60). I have duel gathering skills (herb/skinning) and make good use of the auction house. Another of my guild members reached 900 and got his epic mount at 60 and he didn't grind at all either. He took advantage of the auction house as well and got one epic drop which he sold for around 300 gold.

You make far more gold selling things in the auction house as opposed to a vendor.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #285
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Shift-click the item.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #286
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Stupid Newbie question: What is grinding?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #287
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
I didn't grind at all to get 500 gold (thats what I had when I reached 60). I have duel gathering skills (herb/skinning) and make good use of the auction house. Another of my guild members reached 900 and got his epic mount at 60 and he didn't grind at all either. He took advantage of the auction house as well and got one epic drop which he sold for around 300 gold.

You make far more gold selling things in the auction house as opposed to a vendor.

I know...I've used the AH extensively. You knew I knew that, didn't you?

I just don't spend much time farming - I tend to spend my time questing, which generates a lot less money. You've gone with dual gathering, whereas I've always gone with gathering/tradeskill which isn't nearly as profitable. I just have never wanted for money - the epic mount doesn't really do it for me as I can fly to most areas in the game. There's rarely been a blue/epic item that I've wanted to buy. 1-3 DPS doesn't much matter to me. Which is probably why I tend to start new characters rather than repeatedly run instances at level 60.

I don't run out of gold. If I start to get low, I'll go craft for a bit and get 5-15g and then I'm done.

In addition, I've had a HORRID time with drops. Probably the worst luck of any player in the game. I can count the number of blue, BOE (non-boss) drops on one hand between all my characters. I've never had a purple drop. I also pass on a lot of stuff in instances. It's virtually a running joke.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #288
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan

Just killing the same mobs for gold/exp (over and over) again not for any particular quest. You wind up with far more gold per level (and it takes about the same amount of time as questing) but - at least to me - it's boring as hell.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #289
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan

Killing the same mob (creature/NPC) over and over again for experience, money, items, consumables, etc....
Old 03-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #290
Blackadar
Retired

Blackadar, 4 teh win!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #291
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I know...I've used the AH extensively. You knew I knew that, didn't you?

I just don't spend much time farming - I tend to spend my time questing, which generates a lot less money. You've gone with dual gathering, whereas I've always gone with gathering/tradeskill which isn't nearly as profitable. I just have never wanted for money - the epic mount doesn't really do it for me as I can fly to most areas in the game. There's rarely been a blue/epic item that I've wanted to buy. 1-3 DPS doesn't much matter to me. Which is probably why I tend to start new characters rather than repeatedly run instances at level 60.

I don't run out of gold. If I start to get low, I'll go craft for a bit and get 5-15g and then I'm done.

In addition, I've had a HORRID time with drops. Probably the worst luck of any player in the game. I can count the number of blue, BOE (non-boss) drops on one hand between all my characters. I've never had a purple drop. I also pass on a lot of stuff in instances. It's virtually a running joke.

I know you knew about the AH, but figured I would put it in anyway. I don't like farming either. I got to 60 and my 500 gold via questing also. While I haven't had any purple drops, I've gotten some solid blues and greens which have made me some nice gold. I want the epic mount for pvping when the honor system and battlegrounds come out. I think it will be a big help in certan situations.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #292
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just killing the same mobs for gold/exp (over and over) again not for any particular quest. You wind up with far more gold per level (and it takes about the same amount of time as questing) but - at least to me - it's boring as hell.

thanks, eventually I learn the lingo.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #293
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

delayed dola: Noobrockne is now up to level 14, not that the list is really being updated anymore .
Old 03-29-2005, 11:53 PM   #294
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think it's official... these realm downtimes are pissing me off. I have had almost no time to play in the past month, and already renewed my subscription on March 16th... I login right now hoping to play for an hour or so, and see that I have to update yet again. After 20 minutes, I get some window showing a list of servers... and see that I can't select my server (Laughing Skull).

I check the Realm Status page, and see my server as having a green arrow. That is supposed to mean the server is up. But it's not. What a piss off.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 AM   #295
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Well at least be glad you might still have your characters.. apparently alleria was pretty hard hit, and my main which was 60 is now gone.. i've sent in a ticket.. but god knows what kinda rollback i'll get. if at all
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:24 AM   #296
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Well at least be glad you might still have your characters.. apparently alleria was pretty hard hit, and my main which was 60 is now gone.. i've sent in a ticket.. but god knows what kinda rollback i'll get. if at all

It's not gone. Blizz introduced a wonderful bug yesterday that would allow someone to create a char. with your name...meaning you couldn't play. Now they've had the systems down for the last day trying to fix it.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #297
Danny
Head Coach

I ran Dire Maul for the first time this morning Very fun instance.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #298
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

My biggest complaint about the game is the poor service. For $15 per month I would think the server, and website for that matter, uptime would be impeccable.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #299
Danny
Head Coach

I have had no problems other than sometimes Tuesday maintenance and the patch days. I find that acceptable, but not ideal. Many people complain about every second of downtime, but for something this complex the service on my server has been fine.

The problem is 20 or so servers are terrible with constant problems and downtime. If your main is on one of those servers, I completely understand the frustration and if it were my server, I would consider cancelling my account. If Blizzard can get those servers to the point of the other ones and then improve the smoothness of their weekly maintenance and patching, the service will be excellent. However, those are big IF's.

My main complaint is the current lack of high end content. I am really looking forward to battlegrounds, the pvp honor system and additional high level instances, gear and raid material. I'm hoping this stuff will be in by the time summer hits, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by Danny : 03-30-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #300
MikeVic
Head Coach

As someone pointed out on the official forums.. they make around $15 Million american A MONTH from this game... you'd think they could find a solution to these problems.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote