This is too funny...
http://www.my-nhl.com/
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #252
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
VANCOUVER (CP) - The Colorado Avalanche have traded Alex Tanguay to the Calgary Flames in exchange for defenceman Jordan Leopold and a second-round pick in Saturday's NHL draft.

The Flames also get a conditional second-round pick in either the 2007 or 2008 entry draft.

thanks, jon. wow...i'm not sure how Colorado sees this working out. Not that Leopold is bad, but Tanguay is a nice first line winger, while I'm not 100% sold as Leopold as an every-night rock a team needs on the blueline. I guess we'll see.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #253
Karim
College Starter

Actually, Calgary gave up two 2nd round picks, the 2006 pick and a conditional pick in 2007 or 2008.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #254
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Actually, Calgary gave up two 2nd round picks, the 2006 pick and a conditional pick in 2007 or 2008.

That's kind of what the quote Jon posted says, no?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #255
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It's official now. Laviolette will be with the Canes next year:

Signs five-year deal, terms "undisclosed"

One worry down, a sizeable stack left to go. Current discussions are now with Kaberle (who eviscerated his own bargaining position as a UFA by saying he wanted to remain in Raleigh next year) and Staal and I think a couple of other players (names elude at the moment).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #256
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack

One worry down, a sizeable stack left to go. Current discussions are now with Kaberle (who eviscerated his own bargaining position as a UFA by saying he wanted to remain in Raleigh next year) and Staal and I think a couple of other players (names elude at the moment).

Damn, I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping he'd be in Boston. Oh well, i'm used to mediocrity, I can only image who we'll have on the bench next season.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:58 AM   #257
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Raycroft deal for the Leafs is ridiculis.Obviously Ferguson is trying to get his contract extended.

I actually think it is a good trade for both teams...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 AM   #258
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack

I'm glad Karmanos had the sense to lock up Lavi for a good few years. It will be interesting to see how the remaining free agent issues go, I definitely want to see us sign our free agent defensemen, Kaberle, Ward, Wallin, etc. Cullen is also a UFA who has repeatedly said he wants to stay with the Canes. It's just a matter of how much money we have, all those guys are going to get paid if they stay with us.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #259
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

perhaps Laviolette can buy those hair plugs now

/not one to talk
Old 06-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #260
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Damn wedding on Saturday and 2 year old's birthday part Sunday...I missed this whole thread!

But going back to other items about the Pens...

Yes, the assumption is Staal will be the one to move to wing eventually.
Some people clamoring to move Crosby to wing, to have him and Malkin on the same line, but I HATE that idea. He started this season on the wing, and while he played well, he was worlds better in the middle.

Staal will not turn 18 until Sept (similar to Crosby last year). He still has a year of junior eligibility left. So, unless he is absolutely phenomonal in camp, he won't be on the big team this year.

And, in the salary cap world, it's not such a bad thing to have a guy who can always move back to C should one of Crosby/Malkin be gone in a few years.

Other Penguins news over the weekend--

They bought out the contracts of Sebastien Caron and Shane Endicott, both in the last year of their deals. Both received 1/3 of their remaining salaries, which will count towards this year's cap--Caron $240,660, Endicott $214,573.

Caron has been a decent player, but was cheaper to buy out than Jocelyn Thibault (who also has a year remaining).

Endicott is possibly the worst player to dress in the NHL this season, and I am not really exaggerating! He was seen as the Pen's 3rd line C of the future because of his big frame, but they failed to notice he was God awful in every other aspect of the game.

The main reason behind the moves was the Pens had too many players under contract...this makes rooms to sign FAs.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-26-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #261
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I must start off saying that I (like pretty much everyone else) find Pierre McGuire deeply annoying and irritating. He looks like a man-sized penis standing there between the benches during games.

That said, I did sort of like Pierre on the floor there during the draft. While still irritating, it was cool to have him interupt things to report a possible trade between two teams and then see the GMs actually head over to the league official, sign the contract, etc. Great coverage. A much better insight into how things really work on the draft floor than anything I've seen from the NFL (or any other league).

It was also nice to have Nonis miked. Obviously they couldn't air too much, but I liked what they did. It was 10,000x's more interesting than when they have the players miked. I mean, all you ever hear is "Come on, boys! Come on, boys! Go! Go! Go!" It's not terribly insightful.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #262
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I must start off saying that I (like pretty much everyone else) find Pierre McGuire deeply annoying and irritating. He looks like a man-sized penis standing there between the benches during games.
LOL! Given his supposed neutrality in that space, but then his constant homering for Edmonton whenever he wrote a piece on tsn.ca during the Final (or heck, even in that little space between the benches when he seemed to favor just about everybody BUT Carolina), I sincerely agree with this notion.

Quote:
That said, I did sort of like Pierre on the floor there during the draft. While still irritating, it was cool to have him interupt things to report a possible trade between two teams and then see the GMs actually head over to the league official, sign the contract, etc. Great coverage. A much better insight into how things really work on the draft floor than anything I've seen from the NFL (or any other league).
I don't know why, but the mental image I get is those "Iron Chef" moments when the "field reporter" is interrupting the chatter to report what's happening with the recently-gutted fish.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #263
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
That's kind of what the quote Jon posted says, no?

"The Flames also get a conditional second-round pick in either the 2007 or 2008 entry draft."

The Flames did not get any draft picks in return. The Avs got the conditional pick.

Last edited by Karim : 06-26-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #264
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
"The Flames also get a conditional second-round pick in either the 2007 or 2008 entry draft."

The Flames did not get any draft picks in return. The Avs got the conditional pick.

Nicely spotted.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #265
Karim
College Starter

Pronger speaks through his agent (not saying much)...
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...53672-sun.html

We'll probably never know the real reason why but the best speculation I heard was that his wife couldn't figure out the traffic circles and was a virtual prisoner in her home.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #266
Pyser
Pro Rookie

TSN:

The Boston Bruins have traded defenceman Nick Boynton and a 4th round draft choice in 2007 to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for defenceman Paul Mara and a 3rd round draft choice in either the 2007 or 2008.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #267
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Also, the Blackhawks have bought out Barnaby and Curtis Brown. The Tyler Arnason experiment has officially come to an end in Ottawa. They are letting him walk. (I would add some pithy comment about the Senators, but I leave all such comments in the ever capable hands of our Leader and Mentor).

Martin Biron signed a qualifying offer and wants a trade. He's the guy I am hoping the Wings get. He always treated me well in fantasy hockey.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #268
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Also, the Blackhawks have bought out Barnaby and Curtis Brown. The Tyler Arnason experiment has officially come to an end in Ottawa. They are letting him walk. (I would add some pithy comment about the Senators, but I leave all such comments in the ever capable hands of our Leader and Mentor).

Martin Biron signed a qualifying offer and wants a trade. He's the guy I am hoping the Wings get. He always treated me well in fantasy hockey.

Excellent. Those dumbasses actually learned from last offseason. I feared they'd just let him walk like they did with Satan and Z getting nothing in return for building them up to the players they were/are.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #269
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The "Pronger to Toronto" stories won't go away. Several sources are saying that the Leafs are offering Kaberle and Stajan, while the Oilers want at least Kaberle and Steen.

Now Stajan is a nice player who could develop into an Alyn McCauley type two-way guy, but Kaberle/Stajan is not going to get the deal done. Steen is the best Leafs forward prospect in a generation -- although that's not saying much -- but Kaberle/Steen is far from a slam dunk for Edmonton, especially if they can get a bidding war going.

The interesting part is Kaberle. He clearly has to be in the deal, since the Leafs just don't have any other young-ish stars. But they just signed him to a big extension this season, and gave him a no-trade clause. (Hey, anyone notice how easily JFJ gives out no-trade clauses? Almost as if he doesn't trust himself to make a deal, isn't it?)

Here's the catch -- Kaberle's extension doesn't kick in until July 1, meaning he still can be traded this week. Putting aside the ethics of trading a player you gave a no-trade to, it create a deadline for the Leafs/Oilers talks. Edmonton would probably like to drag this out a bit if they could, but the Leafs are out of the picture as of Friday so if Lowe really wants Kaberle he has to move now.

The other interesting thing is that Kaberle is an idol of highly ranked Czech prospect Jiri Tlusty, who just happens to have been drafted by the Leafs in the first round on Saturday. They want him to come over to North America, but he's not convinced. He was interested in coming over just to meet Kaberle, but now that may not happen. Ah well. If the kid is confused about the situation, he can probably just talk to his agent... some guy named Frank Kaberle Sr.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #270
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The "Pronger to Toronto" stories won't go away. Several sources are saying that the Leafs are offering Kaberle and Stajan, while the Oilers want at least Kaberle and Steen.

Gawd... I'd give up on the Oilers if they made that trade. It'd be awful. I don't see anything in Kaberle or Steen that we couldn't get as a UFA or already have in our system.

Edit: I really think that's more a Toronto thing anyways. In Edmonton, I've heard very little of Toronto as a trade partner, aside from the comment about how Toronto has nothing we could use/want.

Last edited by chrisj : 06-26-2006 at 08:25 PM.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #271
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
Gawd... I'd give up on the Oilers if they made that trade. It'd be awful. I don't see anything in Kaberle or Steen that we couldn't get as a UFA or already have in our system.
I'd be willing to bet that Kaberle is far better than you think he is. Put it this way: in the new NHL, Kaberle is as under-rated as McCabe is over-rated.

I still suspect the Oilers could do better, though.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #272
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that Kaberle is far better than you think he is. Put it this way: in the new NHL, Kaberle is as under-rated as McCabe is over-rated.

I still suspect the Oilers could do better, though.

Personally, I've always liked Kaberle, but when you're talking about a deal for Pronger, there's no way he can be the central figure in the deal, even if a promising forward is added to the mix.

What's going to make the deal is the progress (if any) by Lowe in resigning Spacek and/or Tarnstrom. If we resign both, there is no room for bringing in another defenseman, let alone making one the central figure in a trade. If we only get one or the other back, there are other avenues to explore (re: Redden), at which point you use Pronger to go after a goalie (if Roloson is not brought back) or a forward (if Roli is resigned).

I can't see Lowe making a move prior to July unless he's really settled on who he's going to pursue in free agency and knows which of his own he's getting back.

But if Kaberle/Stajan (or Steen) is the best offer we get for Pronger, I fully expect Lowe to force Pronger into starting next season here. It won't be good for the locker room, but he'd likely be traded early on in the season at the very latest anyways.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #273
bbor
Pro Starter

Kaberle is a much better player in the new NHL.I would do the deal from the Leafs side,but definatly not if i was on the Oilers side,of course the Oilers are kinda over a barrel here so......

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #274
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Personally, I've always liked Kaberle, but when you're talking about a deal for Pronger, there's no way he can be the central figure in the deal, even if a promising forward is added to the mix.
Pronger isn't coming back, period. The deal for Pronger will be whatever happens to be the best offer you can find from a team he'll report to. That's probably not Kaberle, but it could be. You're not exactly dealing from a position of strength. Lowe won't try to force him to come back if he ever wants to bring a big name player to Edmonton again.

As for Redden, he'll be resigning with the Sens. Jovo is going to Florida, Chara is probably headed for New York, and McCabe's wife won't let him go to Edmonton. So getting a top defenceman back in the deal is probably a priority.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-26-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #275
klayman
College Benchwarmer

How can Lowe force Pronger to come back? He'll just not report and holdout, making matters worse.

As far as getting a deal done quickly, I doubt that the Oilers are interested. Remember that Lowe dragged the Comrie trade for months and months (while the team was losing, no less). I seriously doubt we'll see a trade before training camp.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #276
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Pronger isn't coming back, period. The deal for Pronger will be whatever happens to be the best offer you can find from a team he'll report to. That's probably not Kaberle, but it could be. You're not exactly dealing from a position of strength. Lowe won't try to force him to come back if he ever wants to bring a big name player to Edmonton again.

You don't think so? I know Pronger wants out of Edmonton, and the Oilers will do everything they can to help him - but if they can't get what they want in return, I fully expect Pronger will - somewhat unwillingly - return.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #277
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
How can Lowe force Pronger to come back? He'll just not report and holdout, making matters worse.

I can't see Pronger sitting out. Remember, under new NHL rules, if he sits out, he's gone for the year. Plus he'll still owe the Oilers the remaining four years of his contract.

Last edited by chrisj : 06-26-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #278
klayman
College Benchwarmer

dola

You should hear some of the trades the guys up here on the radio are coming up with. Gagne, Carter and/or Pitkanen. Bouwmeester and Jokienen. Fuck, sign me up. Might as well trade Pronger for the '84 Oilers, the '82 Islanders, and the '78 Canadians while we're at it.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #279
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
dola

You should hear some of the trades the guys up here on the radio are coming up with. Gagne, Carter and/or Pitkanen. Bouwmeester and Jokienen. Fuck, sign me up. Might as well trade Pronger for the '84 Oilers, the '82 Islanders, and the '78 Canadians while we're at it.

Heh. My favourite was for Bouwmeester and Horton. I can see us maybe getting one, but not both.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #280
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I can't see Pronger sitting out. Remember, under new NHL rules, if he sits out, he's gone for the year. Plus he'll still owe the Oilers the remaining four years of his contract.

Then why trade him at all? Make him play the year, and trade him at the deadline when his value will be much more. And hey, if you can't come up with a good trade then, well hell, four more tries at it.

"Gee, Chris. I tried really really hard to trade you, but just couldn't do it. See you next year."
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #281
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Then why trade him at all? Make him play the year, and trade him at the deadline when his value will be much more. And hey, if you can't come up with a good trade then, well hell, four more tries at it.

"Gee, Chris. I tried really really hard to trade you, but just couldn't do it. See you next year."

Because, of course, the longer you keep him, the more of a cancer in the lockerroom he becomes. It's win-win for both sides if the Oilers trade him - and I can't see the team having a problem getting a decent value (it won't be equal - that would be nearly impossible) for him in return.

But do you honestly see (a) Pronger choosing to sit out for the season, and hope the Oilers trade him the next off season, or (b) Lowe choosing to accept a low ball offer just to get rid of Pronger?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #282
Travis
Pro Rookie

The point is right now that Lowe is likely at as weak of a position as he can be. I think he has the cojones to force Pronger to at least start next season on the team if he hasn't gotten a deal that he likes. Whether that's good for the team or not, he's not going to take whatever is offered just to make Pronger happy at this point. His #1 priority is to do what is best for the club, and given his track record to this point, he's on hit a vast majority of his moves, so I've got a lot of trust in him.

Another thing to consider is that with the cap going up, they can still go and make a splash in free agency, then adjust what they're looking for from a Pronger deal. If they go out and sign a player or two at $4 million plus, then you might start to value future draft picks a lot higher than you do right now when you need to fill out your roster for next season.

There are a lot of ways you can go with this, and I think the way Pronger went about this will create a bit of a divide amongst players in that some will really sympathize with Pronger and might bristle at the fact that he's not immediately dealt, while others will think what he did was a horrible move to pull not only for the team you're playing on, but against your team mates as well.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #283
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Because, of course, the longer you keep him, the more of a cancer in the lockerroom he becomes. It's win-win for both sides if the Oilers trade him - and I can't see the team having a problem getting a decent value (it won't be equal - that would be nearly impossible) for him in return.

But do you honestly see (a) Pronger choosing to sit out for the season, and hope the Oilers trade him the next off season, or (b) Lowe choosing to accept a low ball offer just to get rid of Pronger?

Sure. A woman is involved. That makes Pronger's actions completely unpredictable. I'm not so sure about the cancer in the locker room. Pronger strikes me as the professionial type, I don't see him causing a lot of problems if he comes back. And Lowe wouldn't accept any offer just to get rid of him, I'm sure.

But if I was Pronger, I would certainly be holding the holdout (pun) above Lowe's head, cause if I do holdout, then Lowe has a player who can't play that season, is one year older, and hasn't played competitively for a season. That decreases my value and it is really my only leverage against the GM. And then when the Oilers look like they might miss the playoffs come trade deadline, the fans and owners will be up in arms about why a deal hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #284
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Another thing to consider is that with the cap going up, they can still go and make a splash in free agency, then adjust what they're looking for from a Pronger deal. If they go out and sign a player or two at $4 million plus, then you might start to value future draft picks a lot higher than you do right now when you need to fill out your roster for next season.

Exactly. There is no reason for Lowe to pull the trigger on any trade right now. I wouldn't even be considering it until training camp (which isn't that far away). But then, I'm a lot smarter than Lowe
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #285
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i missed this no hold out rule.

youre saying if players dont report by opening day, they forfeit the entire season and pay? and void the contract on top of that??
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 PM   #286
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

I don't think Pronger would be a cancer in the form of causing problem on purpose... but obviously, how would a guy like Symth (a very loyal Oiler and supporter of the city), feel about playing with Pronger on the Oilers again?

But if I'm Lowe, I'm telling Pronger that if he wants to sit out the season, that's fine. But what will I get a year from now for a 33 year old player, who hasn't played in a year, and has shown to not be a team player? Not much, to the point where we are better off holding onto you in the hope you return to the Oilers because we are not going to trade you for Eric Brewer. If you want to retire, pass up the Stanley Cup, Hall of Fame, and millions of dollars, go ahead.

Yeah, it could get ugly. Of course, I don't think (or hope) it will get to that. I suspect both sides will take the win-win position.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #287
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
i missed this no hold out rule.

youre saying if players dont report by opening day, they forfeit the entire season and pay? and void the contract on top of that??

If I recall (trying to find a link), the new CBA states that if a player (such as Yashin) chooses to hold out, that they are suspended by the NHL without pay for the season. Maybe it was something that was just discussed, but I'm petty sure it was in there.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm wrong - sorta.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/cba_ratified072205.html

"SIGNING DEADLINE -- Restricted free agents who do not sign contracts by December 1 of a given year will be ineligible to play in the League for the balance of that season."

It's specifically for restricted free agents, of which Pronger is not. I'm not sure how this situation would be handled by the rules then.

Last edited by chrisj : 06-26-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #288
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I can see the future now:

Big name free agent: I have offers from Detroit and New York, but I'm interested in your offer, although I'm not 100% my family will like a small city like Edmonton. If I sign and give things a try and then decide I'd rather be somewhere else, how would you handle that?

Kevin Lowe: Well, established club policy is to force you to stay, even if you've made it clear that you desperately want out. If things get public it might get ugly but you'll be forced to report to camp because we play hardball with our superstars.

Big name free agent: [click]
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #289
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I can see the future now:

Big name free agent: I have offers from Detroit and New York, but I'm interested in your offer, although I'm not 100% my family will like a small city like Edmonton. If I sign and give things a try and then decide I'd rather be somewhere else, how would you handle that?

Kevin Lowe: [click]

Just had to fix where that conversation would end...

Honestly though, if that sort of conversation ever happens, I think the realistic two options are that Lowe negotiates a one year deal rather than a multi year package, or he stays the hell away from them rather than risk getting into this situation again.

Just think how much worse this would be if the Oilers had won game 7 and Pronger been named Conn Smythe winner.

Last edited by Travis : 06-27-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #290
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Just think how much worse this would be if the Oilers had won game 7 and Pronger been named Conn Smythe winner.

worse for Fernando Pisani maybe
Old 06-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #291
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, TSN is reporting that Jovo-Cop is sitting in Florida and awaiting free agent offers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169836&hubname=nhl

I think we must officially dub this offseason:

"The 2006 NHL Off-Season: Desperate Hockeywives"

Some quotes from the Jovanoski article:

According to the Palm Beach Post, the all-star defenceman would love to stay in the Sunshine State. His wife is from Boca Raton, Florida, and the Jovanovskis have spent every NHL off-season in Florida.

"It's what suits my family the best. I just want to be treated fairly."

It looks like Jovo will be return to the Panthers and join his good buddy Todd Bertuzzi. I assume Florida can afford him, though I have no idea.

It used to be that NHL players' wives were only brought up because they were incredibly hot and famous, this is certainly a twist.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #292
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Just had to fix where that conversation would end...
Really? You think the Oilers can be choosy when it comes to big name players?

With the salary cap, players are going to be basing their decisions on factors other than money because the salary offers will level out. That means choosing a city near home, a city they want to live in, a city that doesn't have an insufferable prick for a GM (cough, Ferguson), a chance to win a Cup, etc. The Oilers are starting from a step behind because Edmonton isn't seen as the greatest place to live -- that's probably not fair, but it seems like reality.

Playing hardball with a superstar may send a nice message to your existing roster but it isn't going to help you attract new players. Not to mention keeping your future young stars who can now go to UFA up to six years earlier than before.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #293
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Really? You think the Oilers can be choosy when it comes to big name players?

With the salary cap, players are going to be basing their decisions on factors other than money because the salary offers will level out. That means choosing a city near home, a city they want to live in, a city that doesn't have an insufferable prick for a GM (cough, Ferguson), a chance to win a Cup, etc. The Oilers are starting from a step behind because Edmonton isn't seen as the greatest place to live -- that's probably not fair, but it seems like reality.

Playing hardball with a superstar may send a nice message to your existing roster but it isn't going to help you attract new players. Not to mention keeping your future young stars who can now go to UFA up to six years earlier than before.

Honestly, at this point, if a player were to say verbatim what you had written, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Lowe hung up the phone. If a player is voicing that concern prior to signing any sort of contract, I don't see how you can then sign them for more than one year.

Get burned once, shame on the player, get burned again, and it starts to be the GM's fault *if there were warning signs*. We're just going through having our guts pulled out by our first true superstar since the Gretzky/Messier days, so I would think that if contract talks are entered with a legitimate, established superstar, Lowe would be very clear up front about just what it would take to get a long term deal done.

As it is, with Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, Bergeron, Schremp and Pouliot, we have a very nice nucleus on the team already. Those are the guys you want to make sure you keep happy. Sure, maybe only two or three of those will become stars in this league, but the team atmosphere that Edmonton has always had is a priority with Lowe, and whatever direction we go at this point is with that in mind.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #294
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It used to be that NHL players' wives were only brought up because they were incredibly hot and famous, this is certainly a twist.

well, it's not like she's ugly

Old 06-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #295
bbor
Pro Starter

Ahh....the power of having a vagina.It can turn a major league sport upside down.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #296
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
well, it's not like she's ugly

Is she the one on the left or the right?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #297
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Ahh....the power of having a vagina.It can turn a major league sport upside down.

tell us about it, sweetling. we guys can only imagine.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-27-2006 at 11:48 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #298
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
Is she the one on the left or the right?

the one with the yellow and red flowers in her hands...

FM
Old 06-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #299
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
the one with the yellow and red flowers in her hands...

FM

OK, so the one smiling so hard her eyes are nearly closed. Got it.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #300
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
OK, so the one smiling so hard her eyes are nearly closed. Got it.

no, not the one behind the baby, that's a guy, what, are you blind?!?!

FM