Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #251
HighandOutside
n00b

Again, is there and option for turning off the player ratings? I have gotten used to playing without ratings and, instead, scouting players based on their performance...using ratings feels like cheating. If I can turn them off, Puresim is my game this year over OOTP. Looks like OOTP is bedeviled by AI issues.

Last edited by HighandOutside : 06-04-2006 at 03:53 PM.
HighandOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #252
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandOutside
Again, is there and option for turning off the player ratings? I have gotten used to playing without ratings and, instead, scouting players based on there performance...using ratings feels like cheating. If I can turn them off, Puresim is my game this year over OOTP. Looks like OOTP is bedeviled by AI issues.

let me check on that
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #253
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

nope...goes down a 1-5 scale. then again, Shaun, would it be possible to just add a "0-0" scale so that everything is recalibrated to zero or something? seems like it shouldn't be that hard since there are multiple scales. and this would make the game IMHO...amazing.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #254
buckeyebulldog
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley

Edit: Is anyone able to get to the Matrix Games forums? Haven't been in awhile and I can't get to anything on their site.

I haven't been able to get on their board for the last two weeks or so. I noticed you and hukarez seem to have the same problem. I get an error message that reads like this:

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:
  • Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
  • Open the www.matrixgames.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)
  • Error Type:
    ADODB.Command (0x800A0D5D)
    Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.
    /forums/js/globalSessionFunction.asp, line 24
  • Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
  • Page:
    GET /forums/tt.asp
  • Time:
    Sunday, June 04, 2006, 5:15:27 PM

Any suggestions as to what I need to do? I contacted the Matrix forums support email but they did not respond. Any suggestions?
buckeyebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #255
vtbub
College Starter

Clear your cache. I've been able to get in without any problem.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #256
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Here is the change log since the 1.10 official patch:
=================================

=== 1.14 Beta Changes ===

- Fix: If the pitcher was injured while batting in a game that the user was managing, then the game would correctly prompt to replace him, however no matter what the user did PureSim would not accept the replacement, so the user would be locked on the lineup dialog with no way out except terminating the game via end task or CTRL-ALT-DEL.

- New: Added "View Card" link to player almanac page, which allows the player card to be viewed from the player's almanac page.

- New: Added "Transactions" section to season almanac page

- BIG Tweak: Injury severity/healing duration variation greatly increased. You'll see a greater number of significant injuries and a wider range of severity in general. Estimated days until return is now more accurate as well. Note, if you play an injured guy they heal more slowly, players on the DL heal the fastest (even over players on the bench but not the DL)

- BIG Tweak: Injuries can now span seasons. For example, its possible for a player to get an injury that requires almost a full year to heal.

=== 1.13 beta changes ===

- BIG Tweak: Greatly improved time period specific pitcher usage, leading to more complete games, IP etc in eras where it was all about the starter. A lot of this revolved around an AI that was just too aggressive with the pinch hitter usage in the early years of baseball, where in fact this was VERY rare.

- BIG Tweak: No longer imposing restrictions on the number of pitchers a team must carry on the major league roster. The AI is also cognizant of this, and based on the time period it will carry an appropriate number of pitchers (e.g. in 1901 it may carry a total of 7 with 4 starters and no closer)

- Tweak: The pre-game lineup screen shows the players names color-coded based on their fatigue level

- Tweak: On PSPNCast the team info windows are always hidden when the graphical ball flight animation is playing. This can help with some ball park photos that don't match the layout of the one that ships with the game (note in a previous beta I was hiding the scoreboard as well, but decided to put that back...)

=== 1.12 beta changes ===

- New: The AI now dynamically adjusts it's GM/Managerial tendencies based on the team's charateristoics

- Tweak: On the "Import Real Players" screen the previous default sort order was AB, now it is always alphabetical

- Speed: No longer doing unnecessary compact of the secondary (.psx) database in the off season. When association files got up over 1gb this was taking an exceedingly long time and providing little benefit. Basically after 50 or so years of history in larger associations, this would bring the off season to a crawl. Note, the primary (.psa) association file *is* still being compacted, and that is very important.

- New: Added SAC Bunt frequency managerial tendency

- New: Press ANY key during animated ball flight to skip the rest of the animation sequence.

- New: Added [x] Disable Ambient Sounds option to the PSPNCast "Play Options" dialog.

- Fix: Greatly reduced chance a runner will score when attempting to steal home.

- Fix: When managing a game, if the user clicked "OF Depth" as opposed to pressing the "O" key, instead of toggling the outfield depth PureSim would start the play. No click works just like pressing "O" works, it toggles through the outfield depth options with each click.

- Fix: SLG was wrong in some cases on the splits tab on the player card.

- Fix: Very Rare "Error 3022" When Building almanac, along with some additional robustness improvements in that area

- Fix: If the user viewed splits for a player, then clicked the "next" link to move to another player, then the splits would not be displayed for the next player if the user attempted to view them

- Fix: PSPNCast was sometimes showing the on field message in "red" when the play result was a base hit or home run.

- Fix: In some cases the tooltip for the fielders on the defensive team was showing their offensive ratings as opposed to their defensive ones

- New: Now have ability to have bullpens without closers. PureSim's AI is cognizant of this as well. This feature is setup when you start the association. It is typically used to better simulate eras in history where the closer was not employed in the pen. Note, as your association transitions into the modern era PureSim will prompt you to see if you'd like to transition to using the closer.

- Tweak: Multiple improvements to ball flight trajectories on PSPNCast

- Tweak: Added warning message that lets user know that they are using a non-standard ball park image, and that in-game ball flight animation will suffer horrible performance. Note, park images should be 1024x768

- Tweak: When playing in unattended auto play mode the "Please Wait" dialog has been moved down the screen and made more translucent so the standings are clearly visible at all times.

- Tweak: No longer allowing user to import a park photo unless it is a 1024x768 .jpg file

- Cosmetic: Alignement of "Hall of Fame Member" text on player card was off a bit

- New: Player Affinity mode - If you choose this option (only avail for historical / real players association) the following will happen:

1. Teams will be highly likely to try and keep their makeup similar to what it was in real life, so if a player's contract is expiring in 1957, but he actually played with that team through 1960 in real life, then there is a high probability the team will offer an extension, and a high probability he will accept.

2. There is a very high probability that teams will sign rookies based on when they
appeared on that team in real life. For example I just played an association through the early 80's into the 90's and it was cool to see Griffey Junior show up on the M's and to see all the young talent come streaming into Cleveland as they went through that amazing build...

The net result is if you are looking for career play that retains a lot of flavor from reality even as the career progresses, this is a fun option. Note it is not 100% as there are tons of other issues in the mix with finances, trading etc. Still that actually keeps it fun.

- Tweak: Starter endurance, usage and number of complete games is now more greatly influenced by the time period being simulated (e.g. you'll see more complete games back in the early years of Baseball)

I didn't even know 1.13 was even out, since I've been working off 1.12 for the past couple weeks or so.

http://www.psmultiplayer.150m.com/PureSim2007-SetupRelease-v114_Beta_Patch.exe (27mb)
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 06-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #257
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
I didn't even know 1.13 was even out, since I've been working off 1.12 for the past couple weeks or so.

http://www.psmultiplayer.150m.com/PureSim2007-SetupRelease-v114_Beta_Patch.exe (27mb)

I'm not sure he released 1.13 to the public.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #258
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebulldog
I haven't been able to get on their board for the last two weeks or so. I noticed you and hukarez seem to have the same problem. I get an error message that reads like this:

-- text snipped --

Any suggestions as to what I need to do? I contacted the Matrix forums support email but they did not respond. Any suggestions?

I was able to get in later that day. Not sure what was going on.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #259
Galaril
Pro Starter

I would hold installing the last 1.14 patch. People on the PS matrix board are reporting the game freezing up after installing.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #260
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I would hold installing the last 1.14 patch. People on the PS matrix board are reporting the game freezing up after installing.

Hasn't frozen on me yet...unless it's something specific that they were doing post-install?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #261
buckeyebulldog
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
Clear your cache. I've been able to get in without any problem.

Sorry to waste space in this thread on this . . . but I can't seem to get this. I don't want to assume what my "cache" is. My Help indicated clearing my temporary internet files folder. Done . . . same problem. I accessed the MS Knowledge Base and can't really find what I am looking for. I don't know whether or not to keep asking Matrix or wait for a response. I like to be able to watch what's going on with PureSim as I really have enjoyed playing the game.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #262
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Sorry to waste space in this thread on this . . . but I can't seem to get this. I don't want to assume what my "cache" is. My Help indicated clearing my temporary internet files folder. Done . . . same problem. I accessed the MS Knowledge Base and can't really find what I am looking for. I don't know whether or not to keep asking Matrix or wait for a response. I like to be able to watch what's going on with PureSim as I really have enjoyed playing the game.

You did the right thing there. How are you accessing the boards, through the Matrix site or through the a direct link?

Old 06-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #263
buckeyebulldog
n00b

Whether I go through the Matrix front page or go directly through a shortcut, I get the same result.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #264
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Whether I go through the Matrix front page or go directly through a shortcut, I get the same result.

Oh techie people, am I right that he has a cookie problem?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #265
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
Oh techie people, am I right that he has a cookie problem?

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #266
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Does anyone have a quickie set of house rules in place yet? I've found that the trading AI is woeful, so I have to limit myself when it come to trading. The AI just loves strong MRs, so I can stockpile a lineup full of HOF hitters pretty quickly.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #267
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:

You're using IE 6, I'm presuming?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #268
buckeyebulldog
n00b

Yes, I am using IE 6. I have no problems accessing any other webpages. This just happened out of the blue a couple of weeks ago.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #269
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Are you using any kind of Cookie blocker/ pop blocker software? How about the Firewall? Microsoft built-in firewall or another like Zonealarm? Are you using any Anti-virus software/ Anti-spyware software? Try turning all of your ancillary security apps off ie. firewalls, popblockers including in IE6, anti-spyware and anti-virus apps. Also, lower the cookie setting in the IE 6 (privacy tab of IE 6 options) to 2 settings from the bottom so it is in the middle or lower. Now try to go to the Matrix site. Thayt should do it I f you can get in you will need to start turning security back on one application at atime to find out which one is blocking your access. I fyuo can narrow it down you should find a rule or domain that is blocking the Matrix site . hope that helps. Also, are you trying to access it from a work PC. If so it could be the corporate secuiryt firewall that is blocking at the inbound zone of your firewall.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #270
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone seen where/if the game keeps record of the longest hitting streaks?

It obviously keeps track of them because it puts them in the PSPN Reports, but I have never seen it in the Almanac or records area.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #271
Galaril
Pro Starter

This would be a good screen to add to the game if it isn't there. i too want to know anyone who is on adouble digit hitting streak.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #272
buckeyebulldog
n00b

Quote:
Are you using any kind of Cookie blocker/ pop blocker software? How about the Firewall? Microsoft built-in firewall or another like Zonealarm? Are you using any Anti-virus software/ Anti-spyware software? Try turning all of your ancillary security apps off ie. firewalls, popblockers including in IE6, anti-spyware and anti-virus apps. Also, lower the cookie setting in the IE 6 (privacy tab of IE 6 options) to 2 settings from the bottom so it is in the middle or lower. Now try to go to the Matrix site. Thayt should do it I f you can get in you will need to start turning security back on one application at atime to find out which one is blocking your access. I fyuo can narrow it down you should find a rule or domain that is blocking the Matrix site . hope that helps. Also, are you trying to access it from a work PC. If so it could be the corporate secuiryt firewall that is blocking at the inbound zone of your firewall.

Thank you for your suggestions. In looking at these things, I turned off my Netzero pop blocker. I have no firewall. My Norton Anti-Virus is messed up and seems not to be able to auto-protect, so it's off. I lowered the cookie setting as suggested and I still cannot get on the forum site. I can navigate around the Matrix site with the exception of going to the forums. Oh, and my computer is at home.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #273
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Do you have Java (and if you have FF... do you have Java Script installed?)
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #274
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This would be a good screen to add to the game if it isn't there. i too want to know anyone who is on adouble digit hitting streak.

Well it does tell you when there is an active hitting streak. Anyone currently on a 10 or more game hitting streak gets listed in the PSPN Report.

What I am interested in is a history of this. In the Almanac I want to see the top 10 longest hitting streaks of all time or something like that.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #275
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions. In looking at these things, I turned off my Netzero pop blocker. I have no firewall. My Norton Anti-Virus is messed up and seems not to be able to auto-protect, so it's off. I lowered the cookie setting as suggested and I still cannot get on the forum site. I can navigate around the Matrix site with the exception of going to the forums. Oh, and my computer is at home.

Hmmmm (Scratching head)
Old 06-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #276
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Does anyone have a quickie set of house rules in place yet? I've found that the trading AI is woeful, so I have to limit myself when it come to trading. The AI just loves strong MRs, so I can stockpile a lineup full of HOF hitters pretty quickly.

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on the PureSim AI as well. Is the game challenging, or can it be made so with some rule modifications? I've been holding off getting the game because I'm afraid it might be too easy, and I haven't heard much regarding the game's AI.

The inital reports regarding OOTP have pretty much confirmed my assumption that the game will take another version before it fits its new code, and so that one is off the radar for the time being.

That leaves this game. Would love to buy it, as it sounds like fun, but the AI is a question mark at this point.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #277
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Anyone seen where/if the game keeps record of the longest hitting streaks?

It obviously keeps track of them because it puts them in the PSPN Reports, but I have never seen it in the Almanac or records area.

My biggest issue with PureSim. It keeps track of a lot of stats. . . but only shows a handful completely. I know Shaun is working on adding more to the game, this is the type of thing I'd be looking for.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #278
FBPro
College Starter

Well, I believe as was stated earlier the trade AI is not strong but I haven't had time to check for any adjustments which maybe possible.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #279
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
My biggest issue with PureSim. It keeps track of a lot of stats. . . but only shows a handful completely. I know Shaun is working on adding more to the game, this is the type of thing I'd be looking for.

I suggested this over on the PureSim board, along with VORP and career splits. Hopefully down the line a bit we will see some of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on the PureSim AI as well. Is the game challenging, or can it be made so with some rule modifications? I've been holding off getting the game because I'm afraid it might be too easy, and I haven't heard much regarding the game's AI.

The inital reports regarding OOTP have pretty much confirmed my assumption that the game will take another version before it fits its new code, and so that one is off the radar for the time being.

That leaves this game. Would love to buy it, as it sounds like fun, but the AI is a question mark at this point.

Not sure what type of game Toddzilla is playing. I agree pretty near 100% with his thoughts on the trade AI....when playing with historical players.

I am noticing in my ficticious career I have going now, it is not as bad. Player ratings also do not seem to be as high or across the board high as I was seeing with the Lahman imported players.

With both sets of players though, high ratings do not equal good stats all the time, which is a very good thing. With my fictional team right, my two players with the highest ratings are in the middle of the pack stat wise on my team.

edit: I am finding my fictional team more challenging then the historical game I was playing. Both are challenging enough for me so far.

Last edited by Cringer : 06-05-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #280
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I've played out six season and only won once. The only house rule I'm using is that I made my team's payroll 15% below everyone else's. I haven't been able to put together very good teams. I don't know if I'll filip the switch at some point and win a bunch in a row, but right now I'm finishing in the second division more often then not.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #281
henry296
College Starter

The only trade house rule that I'm using is 1 for 1 trades. However, starting as the 1920 Pirates, I've got a pretty strong that won the World Series in 1921 and is contending in 1922. There is one trade that I regret where I traded a strong middle reliever for an All Star 3rd baseman. I've also gotten 2 real life HOFers in the draft and I'm not sure why they were both still on the board, other than the fact that they were hitters and the other teams might have draft older players focusing on pitching since they had weak relief corps since most teams only used 7 pitchers and were trying to fill in to make a staff of 10.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #282
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I've gotten to the point where I can keep my team at or near the top of the standings for decades on end because the AI just loves high-skill MRs. The playoffs are usually a crapshoot, but if I don't run away with the division by 10-15 games, I'm a little disappointed.

When trade offers come in from the AI, it starts like this, "The New York Yankees are interested in trading for Chuck McElroy." You then decide if you want to try and make a deal. If you do, the trade screen comes up and you are presented with all of the players the Yankees are willing to deal 1-for-1 for McElroy. If McElroy is a high-skill reliever, you will typically be presented with EVERY SINGLE OFFENSIVE PLAYER on the team with an exception or two. It is just too easy to exploit, and there's no real way to tune it down except to NOT trade, which is a tad unrealistic.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 06-06-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #283
Galaril
Pro Starter

Agree that the trade ai is not that great as Toddzilla mentioned the AIs Middle Reliever fetish.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #284
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Ok, close enough. I think I can work with a "no-trading away middle relievers" house rule for the time being. Worth a shot.

Downloading now...
Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #285
path12
Coordinator

I'm having little trouble keeping my team at around .600-650 for the season, but I've yet to advance in the playoffs. Agree that the trade AI for relievers isn't very good, but what bugs the most is the complete games -- hell, some of my relievers are only getting in 25 IP in a season because there are so many complete games (my #3 pitcher had 15 last year). And this is with the manager option set to a quicker than average hook.

I've just got the first patch though, maybe the beta fixes that. Fictional league, 24 teams, 4 divisions.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #286
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
I'm having little trouble keeping my team at around .600-650 for the season, but I've yet to advance in the playoffs. Agree that the trade AI for relievers isn't very good, but what bugs the most is the complete games -- hell, some of my relievers are only getting in 25 IP in a season because there are so many complete games (my #3 pitcher had 15 last year). And this is with the manager option set to a quicker than average hook.

I've just got the first patch though, maybe the beta fixes that. Fictional league, 24 teams, 4 divisions.
I have found stuff like that is pretty easily tuneable within your Manager/GM tendencies. Just specifiy wheter you are patient with your starters or have a quick hook, and the game will respond accordingly. I had the opposite problem - pitchers getting yanked way too quickly and relievers pitching 100-150 IP. I made a small adjustment and all is well!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #287
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I have found stuff like that is pretty easily tuneable within your Manager/GM tendencies. Just specifiy wheter you are patient with your starters or have a quick hook, and the game will respond accordingly. I had the opposite problem - pitchers getting yanked way too quickly and relievers pitching 100-150 IP. I made a small adjustment and all is well!

IIRC I have it on the fourth of the five choices of quick hookness (?). I'll check it again when I get home tonight....
Old 06-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #288
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

OK, is the Matrix Games website and forums down?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #289
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
OK, is the Matrix Games website and forums down?

I just got in without a problem.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #290
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Yeah - its back for me, too.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #291
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Hummm. I must be missing something obvious, but how do I save an association as a template?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

GB: After the Spring Training, BEFORE YOU PLAY ANY GAMES.. From the Main Screen "Click here to save association as template"
Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #293
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
GB: After the Spring Training, BEFORE YOU PLAY ANY GAMES.. From the Main Screen "Click here to save association as template"

Ohhh...

After Spring Training!

I was before spring training. That must be the reason.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #294
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Random thoughts after managing one game...

The in-game ball graphic is nice, but it’s often a bit tricky to figure out what’s going on. Singles often stop at the back end of the infield, so they look like ground outs. There are no throw animations, which would help. Still, it’s kind of fun and adds to the game.

In game, stats don’t update live in the commentary, but they do in the batting order display. Humm. No biggie, but it stands out.

I might be missing something, but it seems a bit random with regards to outfield throws. I’ve read others comments here, and I have to agree that this is a bit awkward. There were a couple of times that I forgot whether the fly out was short or deep or whatever, so you’ve got precious little information to make judgement. Be nice if that information was repeated in the decision-making screen. Also, it really seems like we could use more information than is given. In my one game, there was a fly ball to deep left. The runner was a 4 speed (out of 5); my outfielder had and arm of 4 as well. The runner tried to advance. I really don’t think this is enough information to make a meaningful decision. Was my outfielder running away from home when he made the catch? Where in left field was he? Did the runner get a good jump? Had my outfielder left his feet to make the catch? All of these factors would go into a real decision, but instead all I have to work with is deep fly ball, arm strength, and runner speed. If you aren’t going to give us more details, I would think it would make more sense to give the player a percentage chance of success that could encompass all the details. For example, “The runner is trying to advance (speed 4 vs. arm 4). You have a 65% chance of throwing him out. What will you do?” This gives us a meaningful decision to make, rather than a blind one.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the one game I played. My St. Cloud Loons scored five runs in the sixth to come from behind and win, 6-3, over the hated New York Sluggers in New York. Game moved along quickly and things were pretty intuitive. Fun! It felt like baseball game.

So far, after about 30 minutes setting up my league last night and 15-20 minutes to manage that game, I'm impressed. Looking foward to playing more. I haven't played this year's version of OOTP, but PureSim feels like a refined/lite version of OOTP6, and I mean that in a very positive way. I am impressed that I have a league up and running in such a short time. That took me forever to get right in OOTP.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-06-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #295
hukarez
College Starter

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Are you playing the Demo by chance, or did you just jump right into the retail version?
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 06-06-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #296
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Are you playing the Demo by chance, or did you just jump right into the retail version?

Bought the full version. I've read enough to figure that I could get my money's worth out of it.

I really like the feel of it so far. I can't tell you how nice it was to create a fictional league, complete with player photos, in under 30 minutes. That is awesome.

Other random notes...

Is there no way to randomly assign minor league team names in fictional leagues? Do you have to type them all in one by one?

There are some places where the screens look like they could be adjusted. Substitutions, especially. The window is small, and you have to scroll horizontally to view all the figures on your players.

Also, I must be missing this, but I can't seem to find the lefty/righty batting ratings when making substitutions. This seems like it should be more prominent.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #297
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Also, I must be missing this, but I can't seem to find the lefty/righty batting ratings when making substitutions. This seems like it should be more prominent.

It doesn't show you left/right ratings. The stats are available current season, but not the ratings.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #298
henry296
College Starter

There are no player specifc lefty / right ratings, but the game engine factors in a platoon splits where lefties perform worse vs lefty pitchers.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #299
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Bought the full version. I've read enough to figure that I could get my money's worth out of it.

I really like the feel of it so far. I can't tell you how nice it was to create a fictional league, complete with player photos, in under 30 minutes. That is awesome.

Other random notes...

Is there no way to randomly assign minor league team names in fictional leagues? Do you have to type them all in one by one?

There are some places where the screens look like they could be adjusted. Substitutions, especially. The window is small, and you have to scroll horizontally to view all the figures on your players.

In all honesty, I haven't really tinkered around too much with settings. All I've done with my association were MLB real team names and logos (via PadresFan's website link on the Matrix boards), and fictional player photos so far. I've just messed around with the latest Betas (though, I've still to download 1.15 as of today, probably when I get home).

At first, I really wanted to simulate some history -- but it nearly too half an hour just to get halfway through the first season on my archaic 1.13ghz laptop. Then again, this was before any of the patches were released, and I just kept chugging on through with my game.
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 06-06-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #300
jbmagic
Pro Starter

New Beta 1.15 release

Quote:
As always, note this is a BETA patch. Use it at your own risk. If you prefer to play it safe, you may want to wait for the official patch. That said, all Beta patches are typically extremely stable..

http://www.psmultiplayer.150m.com/Pu...Beta_Patch.exe (27mb)

Here is the change log since the 1.10 official patch:

=== 1.15 Beta Changes ===

- Fix: Fixed "Assertion Failed" crash error that was introduced in Beta 1.14 (It was crashing on a career-ending injury)

- New: New PSPN Story notes when a record-breaking hitting streak comes to an end. Note, this only gets mentioned on hitting streaks of 15 games or more.

- Tweak: Existing PSPN "Active Hitting Streaks" story makes note of teh current all-time record, and lists players in boldface type that are currently tied/ahead of the record.

- Fix: On the pre-game lineup screen, the new feature added in the beta to show the player names colorized based on their fatigue level was showing the home and visitor teams with the same colors.

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote