Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #251
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Dexter Jackson is a great pickup for the Bengals. This is the guy they have targeted from the beginning and they paid him a lot less than Archuleta and Chavous got. He covers and plays the run the way Marvin wants from his safeties. We got an under-30 Super Bowl MVP in a position of need.

Now I hope we can get Sam Adams to fill our other big hole.

Sam Adams plays QB?

Seriously, though, i think Jackson is a pretty good value signing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #252
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Heck, the 49ers ought to offer Millen a 4th for Charles Rogers- his base salaries are fairly low, and it seems likely that the Lions have given up on him.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #253
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Heck, the 49ers ought to offer Millen a 4th for Charles Rogers- his base salaries are fairly low, and it seems likely that the Lions have given up on him.

That's kind of why I asked if he might get traded, but I don't think they'd trade for him anyways. They seem to want to see what Battle, Hamilton and Maxwell can do. Woods is a bust at this point, IMO.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #254
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
That's kind of why I asked if he might get traded, but I don't think they'd trade for him anyways. They seem to want to see what Battle, Hamilton and Maxwell can do. Woods is a bust at this point, IMO.

I really like what the Niners just did. Bryant is a big upgrade over Lloyd. Lloyd is good for the spectacular catch, but other than that his game is limited. He has a hard time getting off the line and he is not a possession receiver either.

Battle played well last season before he got hurt and Hamilton didn't play all season. Woods is garbage and I can't wait for him to get cut.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #255
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I really like what the Niners just did. Bryant is a big upgrade over Lloyd. Lloyd is good for the spectacular catch, but other than that his game is limited. He has a hard time getting off the line and he is not a possession receiver either.

Battle played well last season before he got hurt and Hamilton didn't play all season. Woods is garbage and I can't wait for him to get cut.

We've talked about this before in other threads, but I still can't comprehend how Woods is such a big bust. I thought at best he would be a top 5 WR (and quickly), and at worst, would be a guy you could count on for 60 catches a year. I don't think I've ever been more wrong about any player in any sport.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #256
st.cronin
General Manager

Cheerleaders avoid jail:

hxxp://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9305560

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #257
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22

Oh, I love what they did as well, especially when you look at what Randle El got. Battle I think was the most consistent receiver on the team last year, he just couldn't stay healthy. I have no idea what to expect out of Hamilton or Maxwell, and Woods won't amount to anything, it seems, which surprises me, too. I though he'd be a solid, dependable WR. Not so much.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #258
Bad-example
College Starter

I like the Bryant signing as well. The money seems reasonable. Lloyd was a headache in the lockroom and tough to coach. I hope he bombs with the red4skins.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #259
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I'm really interested in seeing what route they go with the 6th pick. Seeing as this draft is perhaps deepest at LB, I would rather not select Hawk if he's there. Mario Williams or Vernon Davis are the two guys I want the most, but who knows if Mario will be there. I've heard Nolan loves Huff, but that might be a little too early for him. If they trade down, I'd hope it's just a few spots so we can snag one of those guys. Should be interesting to see how everything shakes out though, especially if NO lands Brees.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #260
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Redskins and DE Andre Carter have agreed on a six-year, $30 million contract.
It's an almost identical deal to Adam Archuleta's. Both players will help, but the Redskins massively overpaid again. Who would have come close to paying this much? Carter is talented, but has struggled to stay healthy or provide consistent production in San Francisco. He should move back to defensive end in Washington. Mar. 13 - 6:14 pm et
Source: NFL.com

Schefter says he is flying in, so I guess it is still not official and stuff can happen so the deal doesn't go through. I've read that the Broncos were after Carter because he would be cheaper alternative than trading for Abraham.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #261
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Did the Redskins get a different cap number than the rest of the league? Seems like they had a doomsday scenario and now all of a sudden they are signing everyone at $5M a year...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #262
SunDevil
College Prospect

New York Knicks of football....
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #263
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

You know, we're seeing lots of "overpaid" contracts this year - Washington's 6/30 blank checks, Williams at 6/36, Hutchinson at almost 50 million...has anyone in fandom or the media really wrapped their heads around the escalation of the cap?

In 2000, the cap sat at a hair over $62 million. In 2006, it'll be $102 million. What would have been a $20 million contract with a signing bonus of $5 million just a few years ago is now a $35 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus.

Checking some of the big 2000-2001 deals, I see that the recently released Trevor Price got a seven year extension after his second Pro Bowl with the Broncos worth $60 million, with an $11.5 million signing bonus. Are we seeing any $100 million deals this year with $19 million up front?

Antwaan Randle-El spurned the Bears this year because they wouldn't give him a contract worth $6 million per season...the same cap percentage they offered Marcus Robinson (equivalent 4/24, $8 SB) in 2000. True, Robinson was coming off a great 1400 yard season, but his production since was truly...Randle-Elesque.

I can see reporters missing the increase - doom and gloom heads to more page hits. I can see fans of teams gnashing their teeth - there are dozens of cases this year alone where a player was "a Pro Bowler" one minute when he was courted by the hometown team, and "an overpaid bum" the next when he signed with rivals. But guys...we play FOF, right? Turn on the game, run the cap up to $110 million or so (since we don't have quite the number of ways to ferry around cash as in the NFL) and SEE where the contracts come in.

The NFL's got money, and they share enough to pay for the players. It's pretty much built into the contract. It's done - we stopped arguing about it last week. That said, a lot of this isn't overpaying, it's new money. Since the contracts aren't guaranteed, it'll all balance out.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #264
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i wonder what a TO or a Randy Moss could get from Snyder...NFL's first 200 million dollar contract?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #265
Subby
lolzcat

Gibbs would never allow either of those guys on his team...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #266
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i wonder what a TO or a Randy Moss could get from Snyder...NFL's first 200 million dollar contract?

To answer the question honestly, I could see Washington going to 7 years/$75 million with $16-20 guaranteed if the Cowboys and maybe the Texans both decided to floor it to get one of them.

As Chrisubby said, though, Gibbs wouldn't want either one of them.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #267
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
In other words Tompson is saying this..."We hope to get one year out of him in which he may or may not try his hardest and then either let him walk for nothing ...

As opposed to getting what for him now? There may be a team dumb enough to offer something for him, but unless the Pack can get a 1st rounder for him, I'd let him retire.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #268
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
As opposed to getting what for him now? There may be a team dumb enough to offer something for him, but unless the Pack can get a 1st rounder for him, I'd let him retire.

Exactly. A player coming off an injury, with one-year left on his deal, and represented by Rosenhaus. Good luck with that.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #269
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think he fired Rosenhaus, FWIW.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #270
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I think he fired Rosenhaus, FWIW.

He did, but obviously Drew left enough of a residue on him.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #271
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I don't blame Walker - Farve on the other hand, proved once again to be a grade A jackass. He got his money with multiple years on his contract.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #272
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have re-signed PR/KR Eddie Drummond to a 5 year/$6 million deal. That's a lot of money and a long time for a guy who never stays healthy and pretty much sucked last year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #273
Subby
lolzcat

I think it is easy to look at a lot of these contracts and say...whoa! that's a lot of money...when in reality we have no idea how they are structured and thus might be looking at deals that aren't that out of whack in the near-term.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #274
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I think it is easy to look at a lot of these contracts and say...whoa! that's a lot of money...when in reality we have no idea how they are structured and thus might be looking at deals that aren't that out of whack in the near-term.

For what it's worth, I don't think Dummond's contract is all that bad. From what I understand, there are a lot of clasues worked into the deal that will significantly reduce the amount of the contract when Drummond is not in the line-up for a game (see: injured).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #275
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Here you go Bengals fans.

Quote:
Bengals talking with agent for Arrington
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Dayton Daily News
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
The Cincinnati Bengals have been relatively quiet thus far during this free agent process, signing only veteran S Dexter Jackson, an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay, to a four-year contract on Monday. However, the club could be on the verge of making major headlines if it can land arguably the top-rated linebacker on the open market, LaVar Arrington.

Talks between the Bengals and representatives for Arrington are believed to be in the early stages, but things could heat up real soon.

According to Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, the Bengals have contacted him regarding the Pro-Bowl linebacker, with the latest conversation taking place on Monday.

"Marvin [Lewis] definitely knows LaVar and there's definitely interest there," Poston said. "Marvin not only coached LaVar, but got to know him very intimately on the defensive side of the ball. Cincinnati is a great organization under Marvin's leadership and I'm sure he would like to get LaVar in there if he could. I think Marvin will try to do that."

Arrington, 27, played only one season (2002) under Marvin Lewis when Lewis served as defensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins. Arrington had his best output as a pro that year, registering 92 tackles and 11 sacks. Adding Arrington, who is versatile, aggressive and relentless, to the mix would give the Bengals a lot of flexibility on defense both rushing the passer and stopping the run. Such a move would likely nix the experiment of David Pollack playing the outside linebacker position. During the season Pollack was most effective while playing defensive end and showed that he could play the position at the pro level, which many doubted.

Wow. Maybe a pipe dream. What would it mean? Pollack played well at DE. Maybe he sticks there?
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #276
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw amention of this in the story on Jackson, but didn't think much of it. LaVar would be great in the locker room. I don't know if they'd move Pollack to DE or cut Simmons.

Overall I like LaVar, but if he gets 4mil in cap space I think the money can be better spent.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #277
scooper
College Benchwarmer

4 million is nothing for a player of his caliber, and probably not enough to get him. Look at some of the players signed so far. With a larger cap, salaries are going up.

I think it's too early to cut Simmons, though he'd have to fight harder to get on the field.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #278
Butter
Coordinator

Would def. prefer them to spend the money at DT instead of LB. Maybe they can get a stud DT in the draft though... but I doubt it at their draft position.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #279
scooper
College Benchwarmer

DT is a bigger need, but the defense lacks playmakers in general. There are no great DT's in free agency, only good ones-though good is undoubtedly an upgrade.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #280
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
DT is a bigger need, but the defense lacks playmakers in general. There are no great DT's in free agency, only good ones-though good is undoubtedly an upgrade.

Both true, but LaVar worries me a bit. If he could come in and play like he did a couple of years ago under Marvin, then I'd be thrilled.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #281
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So it sounds like Givens signed with the Titans.

The Pats plan on doing anything with their 15 million?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #282
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
So it sounds like Givens signed with the Titans.

The Pats plan on doing anything with their 15 million?

Boston Globe reported Tuesday Morning that Kraft has invested the 15 million set aside for cap expenses in a trophy polishing company. They will single handedly keep the 3 super bowl trophies shining brightly for the next 30 years.

When asked why, Mr. Kraft simply shrugged, "Do YOU expect us back?"

Last edited by RendeR : 03-14-2006 at 10:20 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #283
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Scoop: You're probably right, but I wouldn't dream of giving LaVar more than 4mil. He's had injuries the past two years and regardless of the cause he had two DNPs last year a several more 5-10 snap games.

I'd sign him if he's a bargain, but its a big gamble to give LaVar huge money. I hope the Bengals spend their money on positions that they need help with. LB is probably the strongest position and deepest on that team.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #284
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Was LaVar an every down player last year at any point? My understanding was he was only playing a limited number of snaps because he just wasn't what he once was.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #285
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Grant: The way the Skins used LaVar was mindboggling. There were maybe two or three games where he was an everydonw backer, notably the Tampa playoff games where he got nine tackles and an interception. Most games he was a situational substitution. Most confusing was that he almost never blitzed and almost never played on third down. This is a guy that a few of years ago almost hit double digit sacks.

It was never clear what the real issue was between the coaches and LaVar. It may have been freelanceing, it may have been personal issues, it may have been that his knee injury took much longer to heal than expected. Regardless, LaVar never was an important piece for the Skins. On the other hand, when he was given snaps he rang up pretty good numbers.

I think he'll be back to Pro Bowl form next year, but I'm also worried about the last two years both in terms of production and injury. If he's a bargain I'd sign him ASAP, but I wouldn't be willing to drop a top money deal on him.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #286
scooper
College Benchwarmer

In related news, Kitna's a Lion per bengals.com
Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #287
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I used to like Kitna, but all his talk about God deciding where he'd play this year really turned me off. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Kitna was more concerned about finding a place to compete for a starting job than was God.

I guess I also don't see what Kitna gets out of this. No way the Lions make the playoffs and very little chance Kitna starts more than a few games when Harrington bombs. I hope he enjoys watching the Bengals in the playoffs.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #288
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Nice. It was a necessary move and out of the viable options out there: a trade for Ramsey or Culpepper, signing McCown or Brees (too rich), it was the one that seemed to make the most sense.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #289
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Kitna was more concerned about finding a place to compete for a starting job than was God.

God could start anywhere he wanted. Talk about the knack for throwing hail mary's.

Not a bad signing for Detroit. I'm glad Kitna's not the answer anymore in Cincy. He doesn't have the arm to really run this offense, but he can still play.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #290
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
I'm really interested in seeing what route they go with the 6th pick. Seeing as this draft is perhaps deepest at LB, I would rather not select Hawk if he's there. Mario Williams or Vernon Davis are the two guys I want the most, but who knows if Mario will be there. I've heard Nolan loves Huff, but that might be a little too early for him. If they trade down, I'd hope it's just a few spots so we can snag one of those guys. Should be interesting to see how everything shakes out though, especially if NO lands Brees.

I don't think they would take Williams with the 6th pick because he doesn't fit into their defensive system (see Carter, Andre). My dream would be that Ferguson falls to them (although I don't see that happening), or trading down. If they trade down to like the 13th-14th pick, there is a chance they can get LenDale White, Chad Greenway, or Winston Justice, all pretty good players.

I think the top 15 in this draft is littered with future Pro Bowlers
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #291
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think it was a good pickup for Detroit. Kitna's got a good head and can help diagnose the D for Joey. He's also a calming presence and a guy that can keep spirits up. If Joey is ever going to get it, Kitna's going to be a big help.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #292
st.cronin
General Manager

I think that signing means Joey sits on the bench.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #293
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I think it was a good pickup for Detroit. Kitna's got a good head and can help diagnose the D for Joey. He's also a calming presence and a guy that can keep spirits up. If Joey is ever going to get it, Kitna's going to be a big help.

So he has gone from talking about Jesus to being Jesus? That's so cool.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #294
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jags signed OT Mike Williams from the Bills.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #295
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions also re-signed DE Kalimba Edwards at 5 years and $20 million. Edwards was a 2nd round pick a few years ago. Many in Detroit were displeased with the pick and wanted the Lions to grab Clinton Portis instead. The fact that Kalimba hasn't really developed as advertised and Portis has been excellent hasn't helped ease that displeasure.

Edwards had a career high 7 sacks last year, though only 1 in the last eight games. He is a speed/edge rusher. He really isn't that great, but given the alternatives out there, I don't think it was a bad idea to re-sign him. The Lions only have two other DEs (Hall and Swancutt) under contract, so it was a need. Hopefully Marinelli and Henderson can really work with Edwards and make him everything he was meant to be.

So far the Lions have signed Kitna and Cory Bradford and re-signed Eddie Drummond and Kalimba Edwards. It's a start, I guess.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #296
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I think that signing means Joey sits on the bench.

I don't think so. I think the signing was an attempt to get some stability in the back-up QB role. That said, based on past performance, Joey will likely be sitting on the bench in the near future in any event.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #297
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The other thread says it, but Culpepper getting dealt to Miami (for a 2nd) cleared the way for the Saints to sign Brees to a $60 million, 6 year deal.

This means the Saints are no way getting a QB with the 2nd pick. Speculation is they may trade down to the Jets, so they can pick Leinhart. I have to think the Saints may be looking at Ferguson or defense with the pick now.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #298
Subby
lolzcat

And the 'Skins sign their Mentor: Quarterbacks.

Todd Collins.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #299
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
And the 'Skins sign their Mentor: Quarterbacks.

Todd Collins.

It never hurts to a have Michigan quarterback on your team. Unless that quarterback happens to be The Betrayer. Then you're fucked.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #300
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just heard that the Cowboys have cut Keyshawn Johnson. Hrmm... I wonder who they will get to replace him.