Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #251
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
Actually that's not a lie.

If you've played KOTOR you know what I'm talking about.

A character in the game was kept alive based solely on using the force. I won't say who, or how, as it would be a spoiler for those who haven't played it.

But that does not mean that Palpatine KNEW... which was the point, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Is it really speculation? Palpatine says that Plagueis (sp?) knew how to do it, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then his apprentice killed him. then he says this later --

PALPATINE: To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.

I caught it in the theater, but none of my friends did, so I haven't been able to discuss it with anyone. Wouldn't this second line indicate that he was indeed lying to Anakin simply to turn him?

I caught the line as well. Though some say Palpatine was Plagueis's apprentice. I don't see it that way (though it could be, who knows). I know that Palpy said we can discover the secret, but it seems he didn't care about the secret and just wanted Anakin to turn.

And apparently, from what I've read on other forums, in the novelization of RotS, the scene where Vader breaks all the droids, he is trying to get at Palpatine after being told Padme was dead (thinking he was fooled) before he realized it was useless. Can someone who has the book confirm or deny that?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #252
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

So you believe Palpatine had the foresight to keep all these things in motion, and know what would motivate Anikin to do what he wanted. Including seeing Padme's death without being told by Anakin about it.

Yoda even has problems seeing things before they happen.

Yet, he isn't powerful enough to keep someone alive? The movies do a terrible job of explaining what the force is capable of, and such. Books, and games do a much better job.

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 05-24-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #253
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you believe Palpatine had the foresight to keep all these things in motion, and know what would motivate Anikin to do what he wanted. Including seeing Padme's death without being told by Anakin about it.

Yoda even has problems seeing things before they happen.

Yet, he isn't powerful enough to keep someone alive? The movies do a terrible job of explaining what the force is capable of, and such. Books, and games do a much better job.

IMO, keeping someone alive is FAR harder than looking into the future. We have seen that Jedi and Sith have some capacity to see into the future. But for keeping someone alive, all we've been told is one man figured that out and told it to his apprentice.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:00 AM   #254
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Why wouldn't a small lie by Shmi herself go with the series? After all, plenty are speculating the Palpatine saying he could keep Padme from dying was merely a lie to get Anakin on his side.
We don't KNOW that is a lie though. No plotline revelation in the storyline of Star Wars has been shown to be false, that I can think of, anyway. And besides, the good-evil paradigm of Star Wars would lead you to believe that the good guys are always telling the truth, and the bad guys can not be trusted. Palpatine is almost expected to lie.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #255
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
We don't KNOW that is a lie though. No plotline revelation in the storyline of Star Wars has been shown to be false, that I can think of, anyway. And besides, the good-evil paradigm of Star Wars would lead you to believe that the good guys are always telling the truth, and the bad guys can not be trusted. Palpatine is almost expected to lie.

As you alluded to Obi-Wan does say that Vader killed Anakin. Now perhaps you can say he was streaching the truth, and Anakin was dead to him when he turned, but I'd still say it was a lie.

Obi-Wan does tell a lie when he tells Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber. Anakin says no such thing.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:06 AM   #256
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well, if StarWars.com can be taken with any salt.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...ker/index.html

Quote:
A loving, soft-spoken woman, Shmi Skywalker was determined to provide a better future for her only son, Anakin, than their lives as slaves could possibly offer. She knew her son was special -- despite their hardship, Anakin was selfless, kind and gifted. His birth was extraordinary -- there was no father. Some have speculated that it was the will of the Force that created Anakin in Shmi's womb. This would suggest that Anakin is the one spoken of in an ancient Jedi prophecy -- the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #257
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
IMO, keeping someone alive is FAR harder than looking into the future. We have seen that Jedi and Sith have some capacity to see into the future. But for keeping someone alive, all we've been told is one man figured that out and told it to his apprentice.

In KOTOR, someone did it who wasn't even a Jedi master. Wasn't on the council ... nothing. KOTOR happened long before the movies, but it's hard for me to imagine that someone not even a council member can do it, but the dark lord of the sith who was taught everything by his master who could do it ..... can't.

Just doesn't make sense.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 AM   #258
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In KOTOR, someone did it who wasn't even a Jedi master. Wasn't on the council ... nothing. KOTOR happened long before the movies, but it's hard for me to imagine that someone not even a council member can do it, but the dark lord of the sith who was taught everything by his master who could do it ..... can't.

Just doesn't make sense.

Who says Plagieus was Sidious's master? That's just speculation and I'm not sure any of that story Sidious said was true (or rather was merely legend).

KOTOR also had battle meditation, which would have been useful for Jedi's to use during the Clone Wars . The fact that KOTOR had it doesn't say anything to me. That was 1000 years before Ep 1. Knowledge could have been lost... especially with what occured in KOTOR II.

And, after all, Palpatine spoke as if only Plageius had discovered how to do it AND that it was ONLY knowable by the Sith... not the Jedi. So it seems things have changed since KOTOR's Jedi.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #259
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And apparently, from what I've read on other forums, in the novelization of RotS, the scene where Vader breaks all the droids, he is trying to get at Palpatine after being told Padme was dead (thinking he was fooled) before he realized it was useless. Can someone who has the book confirm or deny that?

Old 05-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #260
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
KOTOR also had battle meditation, which would have been useful for Jedi's to use during the Clone Wars . The fact that KOTOR had it doesn't say anything to me. That was 1000 years before Ep 1. Knowledge could have been lost... especially with what occured in KOTOR II.
The Zahn trilogy has Darth Sidious as a person that used battle meditation.

Last edited by TazFTW : 05-24-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:26 AM   #261
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting... it seems that he wasn't trying to get at Palpatine... unless 'the shadow' can be a stand in for him. But I think that means his internal shadow. Though I could be mistaken.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #262
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Zahn trilogy has Darth Sidious as a person that used battle meditation.

Was it used during the Clone Wars (don't know about books for that) or was it too specialized for any of the Jedi at the time?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #263
JeeberD
General Manager

Just gonna say that I saw the movie tonight and that I really enjoyed it...despite the bad Anakin/Padme lines...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:37 AM   #264
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Was it used during the Clone Wars (don't know about books for that) or was it too specialized for any of the Jedi at the time?

I don't think battle meditation has been mentioned during the Clone Wars.

Since battle meditation was used in KOTOR, I guess someone could write up a reason that it was too powerful (perfect for a sith) and erased from the archives, or a sith stole it. The person able to use it in KOTOR did turn.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #265
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

This question was asked earlier, why is Leia, a princess?

In the novelization of ROTS, they mention Bail is a prince. So it can be assumed that he becomes King sometime between Ep. 3 and 4.

[edit]Read the last chapter again and Bail says his wife the Queen. So maybe he is already the King. I brought up prince because it mention's prince consort hands Leia to the queen.

Last edited by TazFTW : 05-24-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:49 AM   #266
JeeberD
General Manager

It's been a long time since I saw the original trilogy (but taking care of that soon, just placed all three and The Clone Wars in my Netfilx queue) but maybe Leia is a princess in the same way that Padme was queen...as an elected official?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #267
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Is that whole book written in second person?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:06 AM   #268
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
PALPATINE: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "the wise"?

ANAKIN: No.

PALPATINE: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life ... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

ANAKIN: He could actually save people from death?

PALPATINE: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

ANAKIN: What happened to him?

PALPATINE: He became so powerful . . . the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. (smiles) Plagueis never saw it coming. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.

ANAKIN: Is it possible to learn this power?

PALPATINE: Not from a Jedi.

~

PALPATINE: To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.

I'm assuming that yes, Palpatine learned everything from Plageuis, but he had not yet used the power to create life/cheat death, or discovered its effects/side-effects. (seeing that Plageuis was the only one who had ever achieved it, if my interpretation of the 2nd quote is correct.)
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 AM   #269
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I think it's all meant to be subjective. A metaphor for all of us to ponder upon until Lucas is forced to reveal all when Lucas Arts files for bankrupcy.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:11 AM   #270
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

DAMN.

I'm getting the fucking novel.

Now THAT is what I call an emotion-filled transformation from human to machine.

Far better than the cheesy scene in the movie.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #271
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who says Plagieus was Sidious's master? That's just speculation and I'm not sure any of that story Sidious said was true (or rather was merely legend).

And, after all, Palpatine spoke as if only Plageius had discovered how to do it AND that it was ONLY knowable by the Sith... not the Jedi. So it seems things have changed since KOTOR's Jedi.

I believe that the Jedi used battle meditation as well in the Clone Wars. They influenced their soldiers (the clones) to fight better than the droids. there's some sort of Battle Meditation involved as well, I'm sure.

This is evident with the RotJ novel, wherein the death of Palpatine brought ruin to the Imperial Fleet, since he was no longer influencing them through the force. Same thing with Admiral Thrawn in the Corellian Trilogy.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:14 AM   #272
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting... it seems that he wasn't trying to get at Palpatine... unless 'the shadow' can be a stand in for him. But I think that means his internal shadow. Though I could be mistaken.

If I remember that shadow was Sidious.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #273
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Interesting. If all the damage to Anakin's body in that passage is accurate, then how in the world is he able to speak or see or hear normally when Luke removes his mask at the end of ROTJ?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #274
Calis
College Starter

http://darthdolenz.ytmnd.com/

This made me giggle.

There's this one also-

http://unitedstatesofno.ytmnd.com/
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #275
MikeVic
Head Coach

One more question that I hope someone can answer...

Anakin joins the darkside in hopes of saving Padme. Yet, when he's the man-machine Vader, Palpatine tells him that he killed Padme. So, not only did the dark side NOT save her, but he actually killed her himself because of the dark side.

Why does Vader continue to follow the dark side after all this? Is it as simple as he's consumed by the dark side and CAN'T go back?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #276
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
One more question that I hope someone can answer...

Anakin joins the darkside in hopes of saving Padme. Yet, when he's the man-machine Vader, Palpatine tells him that he killed Padme. So, not only did the dark side NOT save her, but he actually killed her himself because of the dark side.

Why does Vader continue to follow the dark side after all this? Is it as simple as he's consumed by the dark side and CAN'T go back?

Go back to what?

He's wiped out all the Jedi. The only ones left are Obi-Wan (who just about killed him) and Yoda (who probably would have finished the job properly).

Padme is dead. He has no idea he has any kids to live for. He's got nothing. At that point, he might as well get on with ruling the galaxy.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #277
Tigercat
College Starter

The danger of attatchments for the Jedi. He had three things in his life, 1) the power which he would use to 2) create order, guard life, protect the republic, ect for 3) those he cared about. Those he cared about are either dead or, as he sees it, abandoned him. So all Vader has left is his power to create order to the galaxy. And one could see how that power becomes more and more corrupting as the years go by until he himself can't see a way away from it. "It is too late for me, my son." But Luke showing up brings back the people he cared about part of the equation, which allows him to redeem himself as Anakin, by turning on the dark for someone he cares about.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #278
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
If I remember that shadow was Sidious.

Ah.. I see the part where it turns from 3rd person to 2nd person. It does say the shadow was Sidious... so he WAS trying to get at Sideous when destroying everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic

Yes. Once you enter the dark side, it is extremely difficult to come back. That is why even being tempted by the dark side is bad.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #279
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Go back to what?

He's wiped out all the Jedi. The only ones left are Obi-Wan (who just about killed him) and Yoda (who probably would have finished the job properly).

Padme is dead. He has no idea he has any kids to live for. He's got nothing. At that point, he might as well get on with ruling the galaxy.

techincally, there were still other jedis alive, since not every jedi was killed in the clone wars...which is what the live action series will be (partly) about.

but i agree with your point.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #280
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Go back to what?

I didnt like the concept of Obi-Wan walking away and letting him suffer. Surely he should have just finished the job, or perhaps have been fired upon or something so as to give him the reason to leave the site. But he should have finished the job properly.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #281
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I didnt like the concept of Obi-Wan walking away and letting him suffer. Surely he should have just finished the job, or perhaps have been fired upon or something so as to give him the reason to leave the site. But he should have finished the job properly.

Well, the way it happened was the only way to tie up some of the loose ends leading into ANH... Vader has to survive, but be horribly mangled, and Obi-Wan has to somehow obtain his lightsaber to give to Luke later on.

I think the earlier theory, that Obi-Wan was holding back for most of the fight, is probably true. I don't think he really wanted to kill Anakin.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #282
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Here's an inconsistency that bothers me: at the end of III, you get the impression that Vader is second in command and won't take any crap from anyone. Then by the beginning of IV he is taking orders from Tarkin and Imperial people making fun of his religion to his face. He gets more authoritative as the original trilogy goes on, but in the beginning he is not as much a badass. Am I wrong on this?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's an inconsistency that bothers me: at the end of III, you get the impression that Vader is second in command and won't take any crap from anyone. Then by the beginning of IV he is taking orders from Tarkin and Imperial people making fun of his religion to his face. He gets more authoritative as the original trilogy goes on, but in the beginning he is not as much a badass. Am I wrong on this?

I think so. I always saw Vader as being in charge, even though Tarkin is captain of the Death Star. I saw Vader as letting Tarkin have his position while he was the actual power. Vader sees Tarkin as a good soldier and didn't want to destroy him (from the end of Ep 3, it seem Tarkin was there at the beginning).

Quote:

I wouldn't have disappointed if Obi-Wan did. It's very un-Jedi to strike down an 'unarmed' man. That's why Anakin felt bad after he did so to Dooku.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:20 PM   #284
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
I think so. I always saw Vader as being in charge, even though Tarkin is captain of the Death Star. I saw Vader as letting Tarkin have his position while he was the actual power. Vader sees Tarkin as a good soldier and didn't want to destroy him (from the end of Ep 3, it seem Tarkin was there at the beginning).
Here is what I am mostly referring to:
Quote:
MOTTI: Any attack made by the Rebels against this station would be a
useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've obtained. This
station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use
it!

VADER: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've
constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to
the power of the Force.

MOTTI: Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader.
Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure
up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the
Rebel's hidden fort...

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue under Vader's
spell.

VADER: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TARKIN: Enough of this! Vader, release him!

VADER: As you wish.

Deference to Tarkin, and Motti doesn't seem to be scared of him. I can see your point, but it just seemed like a different dynamic from one film to the next.

Last edited by MrBigglesworth : 05-24-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #285
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

From what I've read outside the movies themselves, Tarkin was regarded as the most brilliant military tactician in the galaxy, and was the supreme commander of the Imperial Navy.

Once Tarkin was dead, Vader assumed his role, and stopped taking any shit from pissant admirals and star destroyer captains.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #286
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
From what I've read outside the movies themselves, Tarkin was regarded as the most brilliant military tactician in the galaxy, and was the supreme commander of the Imperial Navy.

Once Tarkin was dead, Vader assumed his role, and stopped taking any shit from pissant admirals and star destroyer captains.

I think that's right. Also, it seems to be assumed that by the time Ep IV starts the Jedi are pretty much presumed to be wiped out. Vader was probably focused on chasing the last few down, while Grand Moff and the other Imperials handled the more militaristic side of the campaign (crushing the rebel alliance).

Once the Grand Moff was killed there was not only a void in leadership, but by the begining of ESB Vader and the Emperor know Luke is alive and are pretty much focused exclusively on capturing him, making defeating the rebel alliance pretty much secondary. Since the focus has shifted once more to "Jedi" affairs, it makes sense the Vader is the top dog.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #287
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wouldn't have disappointed if Obi-Wan did. It's very un-Jedi to strike down an 'unarmed' man. That's why Anakin felt bad after he did so to Dooku.

Well, there is also compassion for not letting a friend feel pain.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #288
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Only one guy makes fun of Vader, and I doubt he would do it twice.

Vader works outside the imperial fleet chain of command and in that scene he is dealing with imperial fleet matters, so he defers to Tarkin.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #289
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Dude. Seriously. Did you see what he did to the younglings? HE BUTCHERED THE YOUNGLINGS. A man who butchers innocent little younglings deserves no such compassion.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #290
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I think that's right. Also, it seems to be assumed that by the time Ep IV starts the Jedi are pretty much presumed to be wiped out. Vader was probably focused on chasing the last few down, while Grand Moff and the other Imperials handled the more militaristic side of the campaign (crushing the rebel alliance).

Once the Grand Moff was killed there was not only a void in leadership, but by the begining of ESB Vader and the Emperor know Luke is alive and are pretty much focused exclusively on capturing him, making defeating the rebel alliance pretty much secondary. Since the focus has shifted once more to "Jedi" affairs, it makes sense the Vader is the top dog.

On the DVD commentary for Ep IV, someone (can't remember if was Lucas), explains that Vader was intended to be viewed as more of a pathetic characater for much of IV, that subscribed to "old school" beliefs that most others dismissed. Thus, it was common for him to be pushed around by politicians and administrative-types. In reality, of couse, Vader comes off as pretty bad-ass and powerful throughout the entire movie. Lucas (or whoever) acknowledged that the Moff/meeting scene didn't really fit how the Vader character actually turned out, and felt compelled to explain why is was there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 PM   #291
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
MOTTI: Any attack made by the Rebels against this station would be a
useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've obtained. This
station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use
it!

VADER: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've
constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to
the power of the Force.

MOTTI: Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader.
Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure
up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the
Rebel's hidden fort...

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue under Vader's
spell.

VADER: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TARKIN: Enough of this! Vader, release him!

VADER: As you wish.

i always found the "ancient religion" part weird. i mean, they were ALL alive when jedis were running around kicking everyones ass. it wasnt even 2 decades ago!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #292
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Dude. Seriously. Did you see what he did to the younglings? HE BUTCHERED THE YOUNGLINGS. A man who butchers innocent little younglings deserves no such compassion.

I didn't see him butcher any younglings. All I got was a quick flash of a lightsaber. Now... if they actually showed Anakin slicing down kids and teens in the temple, then I would say that they did their job in turning him against the audience successfully.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 PM   #293
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Which would be outweighed by not striking down an unarmed opponent. Remember, Anakin was his opponent. He wasn't fighting beside him and then went down.

If Obi-Wan did it, he'd either do it out of anger or a strong compassion for his friend. I think both would be forbidden by the Jedi Code. Remember, even 'good' attachment to others, such as love, can be a path to the Dark Side. The Jedi are like stoics, they are required to be devoid of such emotion.

At least that is how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Choas
I didn't see him butcher any younglings. All I got was a quick flash of a lightsaber. Now... if they actually showed Anakin slicing down kids and teens in the temple, then I would say that they did their job in turning him against the audience successfully.

I think everyone knew he did it. Lucas didn't want to turn the film to an R rated one for one scene (Anakin killing young children explicitly would have done it). People in the theater I was in gasped, loudly.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:49 AM   #294
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I finally got around to seeing the movie. I have to say it was good, a billion times better than the first two crappy movies. I don't know where to rank it yet within the whole series, but stand-alone it was a very good film (besides Portman and Haydens stone acting). The first team I heard the breath from Vader it sent chills down my spine. It ended up answering some of the questions I wanted answered and the last 45 minutes of the film were superb. I went in being a sympathetic to the Dark Side and the Empire (I even got a "Alderaan Deserved it" shirt) but came out of the movie hating the Empire.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:02 AM   #295
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought this was pretty funny

hxxp://vaderinternet.ytmnd.com/
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #296
Sharpieman

Ok I haven't read through this whole thread (I probably will later on) but there may be some plot holes in this movie (or maybe I just missed it). How the hell does Obi-Wan not recognize R2 in ANH when Luke brings R2 to his house??? WTF? He says something like "I don't remember owning a droid." Also, Is R2's memory erased too with C3PO's?

Two other things kind of annoyed me, Luke's uncle and aunt have English accents in Episode 2 (I don't know if they talk in Episode 3) yet they have American accents in the older movies.

Did the Trade Federation leaders' asian accents go away completely in this movie or is that just me?

I still don't understand how Vader was concieved. Is he evil Jesus?

The story was rushed, the whole Senate must be retarded because they just accepted whatever Sidious said and cheered and loved him without question. And how does Luke go from "What did I just do?" to Sith-Loving Evil guy in literally 2 secondes?

The gay Noooooo by Vader at the end was out of character completely.

Hayden is a horrible actor. Lucas sucks at writing. He could have made the story so much better. The problem with the script was that there wasn't enough shock value (although the killing of the younglings was "good"). Vader needs a father damnit!!!!

The problems with the plot holes and other little things hurt the movie, but in the end it was satisfying I guess, just to have it all finished.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

[quote=Sharpieman]Ok I haven't read through this whole thread (I probably will later on) but there may be some plot holes in this movie (or maybe I just missed it). How the hell does Obi-Wan not recognize R2 in ANH when Luke brings R2 to his house??? WTF? He says something like "I don't remember owning a droid." Also, Is R2's memory erased too with C3PO's?
[quote]

Droids are a dime a dozen, and r2 was never "his" droid anyways

Yeah, the accents were all off.
Quote:
I still don't understand how Vader was concieved. Is he evil Jesus?
Its possible that Plageius made Anakin, but its also possible he is evil Jesus. Its not a "for certain" point, probably meant to spur debate and keep people interested in the series.

Quote:
The story was rushed, the whole Senate must be retarded because they just accepted whatever Sidious said and cheered and loved him without question.
In Episode 2 Dooku reveals that over 100 senators are under influence of a Sith lord. Im sure the number has increased.

Quote:
And how does Luke go from "What did I just do?" to Sith-Loving Evil guy in literally 2 secondes?

He had already begun the path to the darkside in episode 2, and the guilt associated with killing Windu had to push him over the edge. At that point, Anakin was meat unless he destroyed the Jedi.

Quote:
The gay Noooooo by Vader at the end was out of character completely.

Brutally awful, i agree.
Quote:
Hayden is a horrible actor. Lucas sucks at writing. He could have made the story so much better. The problem with the script was that there wasn't enough shock value (although the killing of the younglings was "good"). Vader needs a father damnit!!!!

The problems with the plot holes and other little things hurt the movie, but in the end it was satisfying I guess, just to have it all finished.

Yeah, his writing wasnt as good as it should have been. While i can agree you dont get the R rating, it still wasnt very hardcore for a pg13 movie, he had plenty of room to expand, etc. Basically he wasted far too much film on episodes 1 and 2, only leaving him 2 hours to do episode 3.

Basically he could have cut about an hour out of episode 1 at least, and inserted most of the better episode 2 parts into it. And then perhaps end episode 2 with the saving of palpatine sequence that began episode 3. And then had more time for episode 3.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #298
Sharpieman

I'd love to learn a lot more about Darth Plageius, he seems to be the most powerful Sith leader ever.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #299
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
I'd love to learn a lot more about Darth Plageius, he seems to be the most powerful Sith leader ever.
Not like that pussy Darth Maul who couldn't even take out a padawan.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #300
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
The story was rushed, the whole Senate must be retarded because they just accepted whatever Sidious said and cheered and loved him without question.
This is exactly how Hitler came to power. "So this is how liberty dies: to thunderous applause" is such a true line. Revolutions are most often populist, and people will give up anything if there is a perceived threat. Just look at our own country, would you have thought 5 years ago that we would ever make torture a fundamental part of our national policy? Now, to most people, it is no big deal that we do this, because there is a perceived threat that we must do anything to vanquish. It was the same for the Senators in the SW universe. They were ready to give up all of their freedoms to protect their freedoms. It seems pardoxical to an outsider, but it happens all the time in reality.