Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #2901
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some 50% off deals today only at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Gen Con Strategy Board Games Deal of the Day: Toys & Games
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #2902
CarterNMA
Mascot

Thumbs up Great wargame!

I picked up Day of Days last week, created by The Gamers, published by Multi-Man Publishing (of Advanced Squad Leader fame).

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Pr...7/Default.aspx

I've read the rules, not too extensive, and played the first turn on one map sheet. It's instant love. I've had a long relationship with studying the D-Day invasions, particularly the 82nd and 101st landings. This game allows you to use the historical drop zones or choose your own. And then you have to roll for where the companies actually land!

Anybody in the Annapolis/Baltimore/D.C. triplex interested in this should shoot me a PM.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #2903
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I may take you up on that, I am normally in the area once a month.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #2904
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Interested to see what you think of Day of Days. I argued about it at the CSI ding and dent booth at GenCon for $50 for awhile before I found a ding and dent End of Empire for just $20. If CSI still has some ding and dents left, I may pick it up. Looked fantastic.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #2905
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Just in case anyone is interested. I got a bunch of games up for sale but might be able to trade some if anyone had a game I am looking for. What I got on the trading or resell block:

War of the Rings (new in shrink wrap)
Pandemic
Small World
Race for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy expansion Gathering Storm (new shrinked)
Castle Panic
B-29 Superfortess (solo game)
Updated list for trade or sale on Boardgame geek

Pandemic
Small World
Race for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy expansion Gathering Storm (new shrinked)
Castle Panic
Rolling for the Galaxy (new)
Spartans
Baseball Highlights Deluxe with all expansions

Last edited by Galaril : 08-15-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #2906
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, my buddy got a copy of Mysterium at Gencon.

It's thoroughly fun. Basically...it's cooperative Clue, where one person plays as a ghost, trying to give you hints as to who killed him via dreams. (Aka Cards with very funky pictures). You basically are to pull clues from these goofy dream cards, and match them with a person / place / weapon.

And sometimes the ghost just doesn't have a good card to give a player, and sometimes the players focus in on a feature of the 'dream' that is ENTIRELY not what you were going for. Fun one.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #2907
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So, my buddy got a copy of Mysterium at Gencon.

It's thoroughly fun. Basically...it's cooperative Clue, where one person plays as a ghost, trying to give you hints as to who killed him via dreams. (Aka Cards with very funky pictures). You basically are to pull clues from these goofy dream cards, and match them with a person / place / weapon.

And sometimes the ghost just doesn't have a good card to give a player, and sometimes the players focus in on a feature of the 'dream' that is ENTIRELY not what you were going for. Fun one.

I have this too (the german version). My gf's favorite game thus far, though the ending is a little anti-climatic.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #2908
tarcone
Coordinator

I got The Dice Must Flow in the mail today. It is a Print n Play production. It was a preorder a few months ago. It's billed as a cross between Dune and Dune Express.
I read the rules tonight and it looks like it will be a really fun game. It plays 3-8. Has lots of interaction. And lots of dice rolling.

Not sure if it will ever get played. My group struggle to get together. But I'm thinking of going to game night at the FLGS to try and get it played.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #2909
APC
Mascot

Anybody play Legends of Wrestling from Filsinger games either card/dice or online?

Thumbs up or down?

Filsinger Games | Legends of Wrestling Card Game
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #2910
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
Anybody play Legends of Wrestling from Filsinger games either card/dice or online?

Thumbs up or down?

Filsinger Games | Legends of Wrestling Card Game

After Roddy Pipers death I wanted to pick a wrestling game and had considered this one along with TV Pro wrestling 2 or Face on the Mat. Long story short my reading of users comments on these all I sided and picked up Face to the Mat with TV PW a close second. Legends of Wrestling looks nice but seems more tactical as if Pro wrestling was an actual sport so passed on it. The other thing is the game is more or less a collectible card game and a money sink. The game comes with a only a small number of wrestlers and to get more you need to have buy additional sets. Also the game seems to be missing some famous wrestlers like Piper and Hulk I believe as examples due to copyright issues.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #2911
APC
Mascot

Quote:
After Roddy Pipers death I wanted to pick a wrestling game and had considered this one along with TV Pro wrestling 2 or Face on the Mat. Long story short my reading of users comments on these all I sided and picked up Face to the Mat with TV PW a close second. Legends of Wrestling looks nice but seems more tactical as if Pro wrestling was an actual sport so passed on it. The other thing is the game is more or less a collectible card game and a money sink. The game comes with a only a small number of wrestlers and to get more you need to have buy additional sets. Also the game seems to be missing some famous wrestlers like Piper and Hulk I believe as examples due to copyright issues.

Doesn't Face to the Mat come w/ fictional wrestlers and you have to buy additional sets if you want actual wrestlers?

A buddy of mine borrowed me his login info for Legends of Wrestling online and I tinkered with it for about 15 minutes. It's fun, but it does seem more for statheads and accumulating a database of results. There are some promotional/angle elements to it, though. It's fun, but can't say I'd plunk down money for it.....yet.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #2912
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
Doesn't Face to the Mat come w/ fictional wrestlers and you have to buy additional sets if you want actual wrestlers?

Homebrewed cards for FttM are easy peasy though. I've done dozens, and there are quite a few available for d'load as well. Its' been quite a few years ago but once you get the hang of it then it's really pretty simple.

There's even a very handy template for it (if the link is wonky let me know, I've almost certainly got a copy of the file somewhere)

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/modul...q=getit&lid=41
Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #2913
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Got to play Roll for the Galaxy this past week. Really enjoyed it. Enough so to order it. Also inspired me to finally pull Nations off the shelf. It's a pretty decent little civ game as well.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #2914
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Just got back from my guys week of RC planes & helis and boardgaming. Got to play a ton of new games.
Manhattan Project is fantastic.
Black Fleet is a cool little pirate game.
Finally got to play Galaxy Trucker which is very cool.
Also played Among the Stars which is 7 Wonders in space (with some additional twists).
Too many games played to list (total of 24 with only a few replays).

Great week overall!
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #2915
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Holy crap! I just found out that there is a M.U.L.E. board game being released this year.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #2916
tarcone
Coordinator

Just won Risk: Legacy. I'm hoping I can get some guys to together and play this. I have looked at it for a couple years. But free was a great price.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #2917
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Risk: Legacy is probably my favorite board game. I don't usually list it as my favorite because you can't just plop it down and play it, you have to plan it out. I'd highly recommend making sure you have 5 people who are committed to playing it through to its conclusion - I've run through three campaigns already (and I'm on my 4th right now), and we usually get together once a month, play for 3 hours or so and get through two or three games per session. It is tremendously fun.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #2918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ten Rare Board Games to Snap Up the Second You Can | Geek and Sundry
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #2919
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I had Dark Tower. Oddly enough, I think my parents bought it for me as a First Communion present. I think...

It was a lot of fun. I used play it in bed. I'd just skip the board and use the Tower to play the game, since I knew the board so well. Sadly, my copy of the guy is long, long since gone.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #2920
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I had that Fireball Island game, it was a blast! I have no idea whatever became of it, though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #2921
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've still got a very good condition copy of Dark Tower. Hanging onto that bad boy for dear life.

And I miss Fireball Island.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #2922
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Risk: Legacy is probably my favorite board game. I don't usually list it as my favorite because you can't just plop it down and play it, you have to plan it out. I'd highly recommend making sure you have 5 people who are committed to playing it through to its conclusion - I've run through three campaigns already (and I'm on my 4th right now), and we usually get together once a month, play for 3 hours or so and get through two or three games per session. It is tremendously fun.

I was going to try and do 4. I felt that would be better for getting guys together. But does it play better with 5?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #2923
Thomkal
Head Coach

Six board games you can play with your cat (I did not write this article despite what my cat claims)

Six Board Game You Can Play with Your Cat (Just Don’t Be Surprised When You Lose) | The Animal Rescue Site Blog
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #2924
tarcone
Coordinator

We played our 1st game of Risk: Legacy. Had one eliminated, so we broke open the 1st envelope. I won the game and named a continent. Game took about 90 minutes.

Next game day is planned. for October 16. Hopefully we get 3 or 4 games in.

Great game, by the way.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #2925
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
We played our 1st game of Risk: Legacy. Had one eliminated, so we broke open the 1st envelope. I won the game and named a continent. Game took about 90 minutes.

Next game day is planned. for October 16. Hopefully we get 3 or 4 games in.

Great game, by the way.

I am assuming that with all the Risk Legacy games there is pretty limited replay value. I mean once the parts are used, the cards thrown away and/or altered that is it right? I am wondering how many plays through can you realistically get before it is trashed?

Last edited by Galaril : 09-22-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #2926
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's been at the top of my 'want to play' list for 4 1/2 years, yet to be played...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #2927
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I am assuming that with all the Risk Legacy games there is pretty limited replay value. I mean once the parts are used, the cards thrown away and/or altered that is it right? I am wondering how many plays through can you realistically get before it is trashed?

Stuff will keep changing for fifteen plays, and after that you still have a game that's better than original Risk - the balance might or might not be perfect, but at least it has a sensible end condition.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #2928
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Stuff will keep changing for fifteen plays, and after that you still have a game that's better than original Risk - the balance might or might not be perfect, but at least it has a sensible end condition.

ah got it that is not too bad depending on how much a new copy is going for.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #2929
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am curious what other risk versions are worth the trouble of picking up. I know I have heard good things about the Star Wars versions and GOT but all are a bit steep price wise if you can even find a copy.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #2930
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Been a good week for gaming.

Played Churchill last week. Fantastic game. Love the conferences and the way they are handled. It's gotten some flak for it's winning conditions, which has an easy fix...if you don't defeat the Axis, everyone should lose, IMO.

Got some kickstarters in. Last Spike came yesterday and Wilderness Empires a few days earlier. WE looks really good. Hoping to get them both on the table this coming weekend.

Finally found a gaming white whale, a 1984-85 season set of Statis Pro Basketball. Most come and go for $100+ but managed to get this one in the 60s. fun season to play. Even the bad teams have some talent.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #2931
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just got Journey: Wrath of Demons in the mail today and man, this is a good looking game. They spared no expense

Here, watch this guy unpack it:

It's a very expensive game, clocking in at more than $100, I'll try it out soon, but man, it looks good.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-22-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #2932
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I just got Journey: Wrath of Demons in the mail today and man, this is a good looking game. They spared no expense

Here, watch this guy unpack it:

It's a very expensive game, clocking in at more than $100, I'll try it out soon, but man, it looks good.

Wow $100 no wonder the components are nice.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #2933
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Had my best day of gaming (with other people) this past weekend in Milwaukee. Keith Avallone of PLAAY.com hosted his annual pre-PLAAY event where we used his History Maker Baseball game to predict this years World Series winner. (Dodgers beat the Royals in five games).

Keith flew in from Denver, I flew in from San Diego, Steve Tower flew in from Boston, and a bunch of other gamers from the area attended as well. I posted a couple videos about the event and the custom cards I created for the attendees. It was a great time and I'd recommend future events to everyone here.

Here's a link to my videos...

Hands-On: Fall Classic Pre-PLAAY Wrap-up - YouTube

Hands-On: History Maker Baseball Full Game - YouTube
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #2934
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Had my best day of gaming (with other people) this past weekend in Milwaukee. Keith Avallone of PLAAY.com hosted his annual pre-PLAAY event where we used his History Maker Baseball game to predict this years World Series winner. (Dodgers beat the Royals in five games).

Keith flew in from Denver, I flew in from San Diego, Steve Tower flew in from Boston, and a bunch of other gamers from the area attended as well. I posted a couple videos about the event and the custom cards I created for the attendees. It was a great time and I'd recommend future events to everyone here.

Here's a link to my videos...

Hands-On: Fall Classic Pre-PLAAY Wrap-up - YouTube

Hands-On: History Maker Baseball Full Game - YouTube

Looks like you guys had a blast from the video. I wish I could of been there. .....of course I guess with me not making the cut for a HMB Plaay custom card with my brusied ego it is just as well
Old 09-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #2935
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just picked up two games from Worthington games Holdfast Russia and Hold fast Korea that reviews say are great solitaire or with two.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #2936
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Looks like you guys had a blast from the video. I wish I could of been there. .....of course I guess with me not making the cut for a HMB Plaay custom card with my brusied ego it is just as well

Ok, that's two good guys that have made me feel bad now.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #2937
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Ok, that's two good guys that have made me feel bad now.

You got too many fanboys Al:-)
Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #2938
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I thought this would be appropriate for this thread. As a fan of German games, I found myself nodding my head at this:

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #2939
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yesterday I noticed there's a new version of Civilization on the market. No, not the Sid Meier pc stuff, I mean a reimplementation of the 1980 Avalon Hill board game. It's called Mega Civilization, with an extended map, big enough for 18 players. As tempting as it sounds, it's actually priced at €200,- here. That's a lot of money for a game that most likely will never see the table to be played...
Old 10-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #2940
tarcone
Coordinator

That would be awesome if you could get 18 to play.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #2941
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on Stonemaier Games new Kickstarter Scythe. Recently picked up Viticulture and enjoy it very much.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:44 AM   #2942
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I played Operation F.A.U.S.T. at a con today. Really good bluffing deduction game. I think it improves on most of what goes on in Coup. Coup often ends anti-climatically, but FAUST really seemed to have fluid mechanics that players could use to make big plays and potentially win.

Actually played another game I'll be adding to my next purchase, and that is Lords of Xidit. This is a resource management game where you move around the board to recruit an army and then defeat monsters. You start each round programming your movement. The options are simple, and you don't find yourself waiting for someone to program all that often. This was really fun, and the interaction was more satisfying than I expected. This is a re-implementation of Himalaya, a game that won the Spiel des Jahres years ago.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #2943
tarcone
Coordinator

Played Splendor. Fun little filler game. I enjoyed it. But it's one of those games where an experienced player has an advantage.

Great components with the game also.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #2944
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Played Splendor. Fun little filler game. I enjoyed it. But it's one of those games where an experienced player has an advantage.

Great components with the game also.

An experienced player does have an advantage, but it doesn't take too long to gain that experience. Two or three games and most people should be competitive, and it plays pretty short so that isn't a huge investment.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #2945
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I've been tempted to pull the trigger on Stonemaier Games new Kickstarter Scythe. Recently picked up Viticulture and enjoy it very much.

I backed Scythe at the $100 level. Haven't played anything by them before, but the game looks good and high quality components were tempting.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #2946
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Yesterday I noticed there's a new version of Civilization on the market. No, not the Sid Meier pc stuff, I mean a reimplementation of the 1980 Avalon Hill board game. It's called Mega Civilization, with an extended map, big enough for 18 players. As tempting as it sounds, it's actually priced at €200,- here. That's a lot of money for a game that most likely will never see the table to be played...

I've had a great time over at civ.rol-play.com, and gotten to a point where the site's computer rankings think highly of me, even though I tend to just join games in progress and improve the standing of some sad-sack civilization that somebody had abandoned.

Just about done playing out the string at this point, though. I wish the games that had started here hadn't petered out...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #2947
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I grabbed Pandemic Legacy as soon as it came out, and I've got to say that I am obsessed with it. I'm really enjoying the experience, and I'll be a little sad when it's over, but it is a hell of a journey.

For those who've played Pandemic, the core mechanics are the same as regular Pandemic, but being a "legacy" style game, things change after (and even during!) each playthrough. The whole thing is over after 12-24 plays, but it's totally worth it. Highly, highly, highly recommended.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #2948
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I grabbed Pandemic Legacy as soon as it came out, and I've got to say that I am obsessed with it. I'm really enjoying the experience, and I'll be a little sad when it's over, but it is a hell of a journey.

For those who've played Pandemic, the core mechanics are the same as regular Pandemic, but being a "legacy" style game, things change after (and even during!) each playthrough. The whole thing is over after 12-24 plays, but it's totally worth it. Highly, highly, highly recommended.
Is it advisable to only play with Pandemic experience?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #2949
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Is it advisable to only play with Pandemic experience?
Yes, the rulebook strongly suggests that you play with the core Pandemic rules for a few games before embarking on the campaign. With that said, you do not need to go get a copy of the regular Pandemic game. Out of the box, you can play Pandemic Legacy almost exactly like regular Pandemic. The rulebook tells you exactly what you need and don't need to play it that way. I could be a little more specific, but I don't want to spoil any surprises. I guess the short answer is that you can buy Pandemic Legacy, follow what the rulebook says, and after maybe 2 or 3 games, you can jump into the campaign.

The only thing I'd add to that is that once you've started on the campaign, it would be a little hard to "rewind" and play regular Pandemic from that box because - being a legacy game - you will have to alter elements of the game. For example, certain things that exist when you open the box will no longer exist once you're a few games into the campaign.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #2950
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Huh. I've never heard Pandemic Legacy and Pandemic is one of my favorite games. I'll have to look into this. Thanks, Pumpy!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote