Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will (not should) be the Democratic presidential nominee in 2008?
Joe Biden 0 0%
Hillary Clinton 62 35.84%
Christopher Dodd 0 0%
John Edwards 10 5.78%
Mike Gravel 1 0.58%
Dennis Kucinich 2 1.16%
Barack Obama 97 56.07%
Bill Richardson 1 0.58%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #2851
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Frankly, it smacks of cowardace to me. No principles on who he'd rather support, but wanted to play up a position in the administration.

The joke, of course, is on him. The Edwards support this late in the primary doesn't mean anything really. So Obama doesn't have to be beholden to put him as AG or something else.

To be fair to Edwards, I think Obama and he are closer on policy and priorities than he is to HRC.

Edwards's support, I think, does have meaning. It got folks to stop talking about the butt-kicking he received from WV voters, for one. Also, 28 delegates (which I believe was JE's total) is 28 delegates. It is like winning a medium-sized primary.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #2852
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
To be fair to Edwards, I think Obama and he are closer on policy and priorities than he is to HRC.

Edwards's support, I think, does have meaning. It got folks to stop talking about the butt-kicking he received from WV voters, for one. Also, 28 delegates (which I believe was JE's total) is 28 delegates. It is like winning a medium-sized primary.

Are those delegates required to follow Edwards' endorsement? I think that the vast majority would, but I didn't think they were required to support Obama.

Edit: CNN states that it is 19 delegates.

Last edited by wbatl1 : 05-15-2008 at 03:12 PM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #2853
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, Edwards can just released the delegates. He can suggest they vote for Obama, but they can vote for Edwards or Clinton or even Kucinich if they wanted.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #2854
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
You say coward. I say smart politician. He doesn't owe anybody anything. He shopped for the best deal and will get it if Obama wins.

And as much as I don't care one hoot for Edwards, there's also the possibility that he genuinely believes that he would be the best choice for whatever post he's angling for. And by doing what he can to put himself into position to get that appointment, he's doing what he believes is "best for America" (for lack of a better phrase).

While I can't personally imagine any position where he would actually do something good for the country, I can't rip on the guy for following a logic something along the lines I described. (Yeah, I know, the odds of any politician actually thinking of the country before themselves is kind of slim these days, but it's still theoretically possible)
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #2855
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Warren was a looong time ago, back when you didn't have justice subject to ABA rankings and scrutiny over their legal backgrounds. Things have changed greatly since then.

Things have changed greatly just in the last 15 years. My understanding up until Bork, all nominees were rubber-stamped with token opposition.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #2856
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Things have changed greatly just in the last 15 years. My understanding up until Bork, all nominees were rubber-stamped with token opposition.

That's not entirely true. A lot went sailing through, but few were denied:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

As you can see Nixon had two rejected in trying to replace Abe Fortas (Haynesworth and Carswell... both were rumored to support segregation for one). Though interestingly, Blackmun, who was the 3rd choice was unanimously approved.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-15-2008 at 09:50 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #2857
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Didn't know that, Immy, thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #2858
chesapeake
College Starter

You are also looking at 2 sets of delegates. 28 superdelegates pledged to JE, and I've seen 16 pledged delegates for him (8 in SC and 4 each in NH and IA). As of this morning, apparently, 14 of this total (7 from each set) have now pledged to Obama and 2 to HRC. If my count is accurate, then 28 are still undecided.

According to the National Journal, Obama picked up 6 of the 8 SC delegates and 1 of the 4 NH. I'm not entirely sure that IA has selected human delegates yet. As a caucus state, I don't think they select the people to fill the delegate slots until their state convention, which I think is still pending.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #2859
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Actually the 28 is his number if you include Florida where he has 12 delegates 7 of which have stated that they will go to Obama if (when) FL is seated.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #2860
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Did you notice? Among all of the typical political bullshit yesterday and today, Clinton was marginalized?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #2861
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What went wrong, How Hillary lost from the people within the campaign.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #2862
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
What went wrong, How Hillary lost from the people within the campaign.

I love reading stuff like this, which I why eagerly anticipate the special Newsweek issue that comes out after the election that gives all of the behind-the-scenes stuff that we don't know about at this time.

I found this to be really funny, "She should have kept Bill chained in the basement at Whitehaven with a case of cheese curls and a stack of dirty movies."

Last edited by Buccaneer : 05-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #2863
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think one of the themes that I pick up is the 'delusional' element (for the lack of a better term). She is still doing that today when she is insisting that she has a lead in popular votes. Someone is telling her to say (and keep saying that) while everyone know she doesn't, no matter how they justify it.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #2864
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I think one of the themes that I pick up is the 'delusional' element (for the lack of a better term). She is still doing that today when she is insisting that she has a lead in popular votes. Someone is telling her to say (and keep saying that) while everyone know she doesn't, no matter how they justify it.

Agreed. There is an obvious disconnect for her, because I don't think she saw this coming. I don't think she imagined she'd be in a position NOT to win the nomination.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #2865
SFL Cat
College Starter

Never count a Clinton out...even after the fat lady sings

Last edited by SFL Cat : 05-17-2008 at 04:34 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #2866
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
To be fair... this is a Democratic PRESIDENTIAL nominee thread. So I can see the confusion.

Well, I tried to keep the Republican nominee thread alive with updates on McCain's flip-flops, temper tantrums and senior moments, but Bucc and Cam just made fun of me.

Jerks.

Quote:
All the justices on the courts are highly respected jurists and have been on the bench for a while before going to SCOTUS.

With the exception of Clarence Thomas, of course.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #2867
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Obama becomes the first presidential candidate ever to visit the Crow Nation in Montana. .
And if you've ever driven past there on the way to Billings, it's indeed a sad, sad sight. I'm amazed he made the trip.

And apparently, he got 75,000 to come see him in Portland the day before. What?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-19-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #2868
chesapeake
College Starter

Montana has gotten into the strange habit of electing Democrats statewide lately, most recently dumping Senator Conrad Burns for Jon Tester. Obama winning MT is a stretch, but I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the voters are angry this year.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #2869
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Agreed. There is an obvious disconnect for her, because I don't think she saw this coming. I don't think she imagined she'd be in a position NOT to win the nomination.

I think this mindset infected her campaign team, too. They saw the chance of Obama or Edwards emerging as a challenger to be so remote, they failed to do the fieldwork that even a front runner needs to do. They blew ridiculous amounts of money on high-priced consultants, and when the thing tunred out not to be over on Super Tuesday, she was essentially running a front runner's campaign underfunded and from behind.

One of the anonymous respondents made the point that Harold Ickes had a comprehensive understanding of the proportional delegate math, but the plan was based on winning big states rather than winning delegates. She had a GOP plan in a Dem primary.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #2870
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kentucky projected to Clinton. MSNBC has Pat Buchanan talk about how Clinton has a "case for the nomination" and of course, Obama goes and tries to take Oregon and use that as his declaration that the game is almost over. Buchanan is saying that Clinton would want to be VP bringing her coalition of white blue collar voters to the fold. But I can't believe she wants to be VP, but then, I suppose better to put the heat on him and add to the agenda than not.

Should be intriguing to see how the spin goes for all of this tonight. But I can't imagine he wants her or needs her and I don't believe it'll happen.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-20-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #2871
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think he's made a mistake by completely avoiding Appalachia. Sure, they lose. But I say that he has a message for them and to avoid them was a really silly tackle decision.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #2872
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Claire McCaskill is out in front and has been an Obama early adopter forever. She has to be on his short list for some sort of cabinet gig. I doubt she'd be his VP choice, but...I wouldn't rule it out either. She's been on his scream team since Day 1 it seems...and she seems to be on TV for him more than anyone. Though I've seen John Kerry doing it a lot lately too.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #2873
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I think this mindset infected her campaign team, too. They saw the chance of Obama or Edwards emerging as a challenger to be so remote, they failed to do the fieldwork that even a front runner needs to do. They blew ridiculous amounts of money on high-priced consultants, and when the thing tunred out not to be over on Super Tuesday, she was essentially running a front runner's campaign underfunded and from behind.

One of the anonymous respondents made the point that Harold Ickes had a comprehensive understanding of the proportional delegate math, but the plan was based on winning big states rather than winning delegates. She had a GOP plan in a Dem primary.

The short version:

Hillary lost because she hired Mark Penn.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #2874
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The short version:

Hillary lost because she hired Mark Penn.

I have a shorter version: High Negatives
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #2875
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
The short version:

Hillary lost because she voted for the war.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2876
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Obama only raised 31 mil in April! A staggering 94% of donations were under 200$. I don't know if he can win in November, but he's got a fundraising revolution going on.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #2877
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

Guys, it's simple logic.

Mark Penn always loses.

Hillary hired Mark Penn.

Ergo, Hillary lost because she hired Mark Penn.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #2878
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
dola

Guys, it's simple logic.

Mark Penn always loses.

Hillary hired Mark Penn.

Ergo, Hillary lost because she hired Mark Penn.

Here's part of his wiki

Quote:
Penn's strategy in the primary elections was to concentrate on winning the largest states, assuming that delegates would be awarded as a winner-take-all, and predicted that the campaign would score a decisive victory on Super Tuesday. He summed it up by saying "Could we possibly have a nominee who hasn't won any of the significant states -- outside of Illinois? That raises some serious questions about Sen. Obama.”[11] has led to questions and jokes about the apparent irrelevancy of much of the country on liberal blogs such as Daily Kos.[12] However, the rules in the Democratic primaries stated that delegates would be roughly proportional to a candidate's vote total, as opposed to electoral votes in the general election, yet the campaign maintained Penn's strategy. Consequently, while Clinton won the large states, she wound up splitting the delegates albeit getting a majority of them, due to Obama's strong showing in urban areas with large Afro-Amerian concentrations.[2]. However in small states and caucuses which Clinton neglected, Obama won them by overwhelming margins and received the big majority of delegates there.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #2879
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It's probably worth noting that in the 3.5 big battleground states (FLA, Ohio, PA, Michigan) Hillary is killing Obama when it comes to head to head polls vs. McCain - double digit differences in most. Maybe they'll swing back by November, but IMO there's enough bad blood against the DNC and Obama if he has to prevent the seating of delegates that Florida would go solidly GOP and Michigan would be in play.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #2880
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Interesting map by the NYTimes... probably some fascinating things to take a look at with this tool, but Rich Lowry points out if you look at the Kentucky county-by-county votes, there are more than a few (particularly in the southeastern part of the state) where Obama ended up in the single digits.

http://politics.nytimes.com/election...map/index.html
Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #2881
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Interesting map by the NYTimes... probably some fascinating things to take a look at with this tool, but Rich Lowry points out if you look at the Kentucky county-by-county votes, there are more than a few (particularly in the southeastern part of the state) where Obama ended up in the single digits.

http://politics.nytimes.com/election...map/index.html

I also noticed that there are counties where just a few hundred people voted. That's insane (or typical, I don't know what voter turnout is like in counties outside of...well, NJ and Philly).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #2882
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I don't know what the population of those counties might be either, or party affiliation. Certainly a lower turnout can skew statistics. But look at Pike County (it's in SE Kentucky). 14,000+ votes and Obama grabbed 6% of them. That's pretty amazing.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #2883
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
...SE Kentucky...14,000+ votes and Obama grabbed 6% of them. That's pretty amazing.

I completely agree it's amazing.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #2884
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I know of Pike County. Go look up the demographics. I don't, however, suspect it's much different than some of the WV counties.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #2885
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wonder if Chuck Hagel might play to the Obama folks as a candidate for them, with turncoat Joe (Lieberman) hanging out with McCain.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #2886
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Wonder if Chuck Hagel might play to the Obama folks as a candidate for them, with turncoat Joe (Lieberman) hanging out with McCain.

No, every single politician should be pigeon-holed into a predicatable niche and have straight party-line affiliation.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #2887
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
No, every single politician should be pigeon-holed into a predicatable niche and have straight party-line affiliation.

I certainly don't think that. But Lieberman lost his party primary and was campaigned for by Obama. So he turns against the party that gave him his seniority, committee assignments and a guy that helped him save his hide, by going with a guy who can't keep his ideas straight?

I'm not rooting for a dog in this one, but as someone who REALLY liked McCain and respected him circa 2000, I'm appalled at how much he's completely turned into a conventional GOPer.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #2888
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Saved his hide? Liebermann was going to win big in CT regardless and if he didn't get the committee assignments from the Dems, the Republicans would have given their spots to him if he switched over. Believe me, the Dems figured that they need Libermann.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #2889
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's not a superdelegate. After he endorsed McCain, he was stripped of his super delegate status. He's pissed a lot of people off by going so far out of pocket on this one.

They can't take him out of the fold now, given they've got such a narrow lead in the Senate, but if they pick up seats in November, it's been widely rumoured that they'd send him packing for good from the party tent. And sure, the Republicans might give him love. But he wont be in the majority party and he won't be hurting them from within.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-22-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #2890
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And then, of course, they lose that seat in CT for as long as he's alive. And as the Republicans figured out, there can be dramatic swings in as little as a few years.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #2891
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
And then, of course, they lose that seat in CT for as long as he's alive. And as the Republicans figured out, there can be dramatic swings in as little as a few years.

He won't get reelected again in CT. He duped them last time, but not in '12. This is his last go-round. I doubt they'll really boot him, but his influence won't be what it was after this year, for sure. Obviously depends on what happens. McCain would likely rescue him and give him a cabinet spot, if he wins.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #2892
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He won't get reelected again in CT. He duped them last time, but not in '12. This is his last go-round. I doubt they'll really boot him, but his influence won't be what it was after this year, for sure. Obviously depends on what happens. McCain would likely rescue him and give him a cabinet spot, if he wins.

I think you've seriously drank the Kool-Aid if you don't think he'll get re-elected. Liebermann is incredibly popular in CT to the point that even when the Dems in CT booted him, he won by a good margin in the general election. He's like Ted Kennedy (well before the brain tumor) in that Kennedy could have run on the Fascist party of Massachusetts and won big.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #2893
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Leiberman has every right to believe whatever he wants. Ho doesn't, however, have a right to consistently attack his party and the likely nominee for President and then expect to retain his chairs.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #2894
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From April 7, 2008:

If you could vote again for U.S. Senate, would you vote for Ned Lamont, the Democrat, Alan Schlesinger, the Republican, or Joe Lieberman, an Independent?

All

Lamont (D) 51
Lieberman (I) 37
Schlesinger (R) 7

Democrats

Lamont (D) 74
Lieberman (I) 19
Schlesinger (R) 2

Republicans

Lamont (D) 4
Lieberman (I) 74
Schlesinger (R) 19

Independents

Lamont (D) 53
Lieberman (I) 36
Schlesinger (R) 6
Old 05-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #2895
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Obama appears to have won the working-class white vote in Oregon. From electoral-vote:

Quote:
Something odd happened Tuesday: Barack Obama beat Hillary Clinton solidly among working class white voters in Oregon. He won in all age groups except over 60 and he won among voters making under $50,000 a year and he won among voters without college degrees. Given the demographics of Oregon, nearly all these people are white. Thus it indeed seems he has an Appalachia problem rather than a generic blue-collar problem.

Obama's also won a bunch of other predominantly white states from Clinton that haven't been in Appalachia (Idaho, Maine, etc...)

I'm not sure what this means, yet, but offer it as fuel for the discussion.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #2896
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From April 7, 2008:

If you could vote again for U.S. Senate, would you vote for Ned Lamont, the Democrat, Alan Schlesinger, the Republican, or Joe Lieberman, an Independent?

Aren't we decrying the polls for being too early in the Presidential race?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #2897
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just think it's clear he isn't, "incredibly popular in CT."
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #2898
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I just think it's clear he isn't, "incredibly popular in CT."

I have no doubt that you were trumpeting the same tune when Zell Miller spoke at the Republican convention.

This kind of partisan party group-think has always been present. I hope there's a trend away from it, but I won't hold my breath.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #2899
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mizzou, you really need to have your reading comprehension checked out. Above, I stated clearly that Lieberman can hold whatever policy positions he wishes. However, when he attacks his party and his party's presidential candidate, and the same would be true IMO for a Republican attacking his/her own party, he has no right to rewards granted by that party. Socially and economically he's on my side most of the time, so I can forgive the differences with foreign policy, but the lengths to which he's gone to hurt his party should carry some consequences.

The poll cited above isn't proof that Leiberman will lose in 2012, but it is proof that he's considerably less popular in CT now than two years ago and is in real danger of losing his seat.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #2900
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, his approval rating in CT is around 50% even while getting hammered in the press by the Dem Party (in fact, his approval/disapproval rating is similar to Senator Chambliss of GA, and he's going to sweep to victory).