Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #2751
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Sure it shown in Atlanta, DC, and Miami, but do you really think a significant number of viewers in those areas were even planning to watch any baseball that day?

About the same number that watched anywhere else. Nobody stayed home just to watch the Mets, Phillies, Tiger, Twins, Dodgers, Padres, or anybody else yesterday.

Quote:
I understand your point about Manny being the bigger story and agree.

Hey, that's all I've been saying.

Quote:
However, it's more my frustration with national pre-emptive rights to local markets on the weekends. ... I know the reasons why, but it won't prevent my bitching.

That's a whole different kettle of fish, you're welcome to bitch on that point if it makes you feel better.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #2752
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Eight pitchers who belong in the All Star game more than Wakefield:

For reference: Wakefield (10-3, 4.30 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, OPSA .719, ERA+ 108)

Jered Weaver (8-3, 3.10, 1.13 whip, opsa .652, era+ 144)
Kevin Millwood (8-5, 2.80, 1.24 whip, opsa .705, era+ 158)
Nick Blackburn (7-4, 2.94, 1.30 whip, opsa .711, era+ 131)
Matt Garza (6-5, 3.49, 1.18 whip, opsa .656, era+ 129)
James Shields (6-6, 3.50, 1.27 whip, opsa .756, era+ 127)
John Danks (7-6, 3.76, 1.23 whip, opsa .683, era+ 122)
CC Sabathia (6-5, 3.85, 1.15 whip, opsa .642, era+ 114)
Brian Bannister (6-6, 3.87, 1.30 whip, opsa .683, era+ 109)

That's just starters. I also skipped over anyone with a sub-.500 record who otherwise deserved, such as Cliff Lee, Jarrod Washburn and Dallas Braden. I didn't consider some other pitchers--closers--having great seasons, like Bobby Jenks, George Sherrill, David Aardsma, Frank Francisco and Joakim Soria. And I didn't include anyone who is at least comparable to be considered with Wakefield, like AJ Burnett, CC Sabathia, Jon Lester, Andy Pettitte.

Incidentally, several of the starters above also have better stats than Josh Beckett, but I have less of an issue including him. After going through this, I think Millwood has even more of a case to be pissed than Weaver.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-05-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #2753
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
There are always guys who can make a case to be on the roster. I would hardly call Wakefield undeserving as mentioned above. He's having a really good season.

I actually like Wakefield. I like the story, and he's never been a bad guy. And I am not saying he's having a bad season, he's not, he's doing quite well.

But there are a ton of players more deserving than him. If it was one or two, it would be one thing, but, damn, just look at my last post for some excellent examples of guys staying home next week who by all rights should be in this game over Wakefield, any one of them.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #2754
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Millwood would have been a better option than Wakefield. I can't believe he's using wins to justify Wakefield.

Yup, I dicovered this while researching to counter DT. Millwood's actually the guy with the biggest gripe, and that's coming from an Angels fan.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #2755
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wins have always been the "sexy" stat as far as pitching goes. I believe Chris Carpenter belongs in the All Star game.. but I've heard a few reporters who say his last two losses (no run support) cost him his chance - and like some of you, I agree that is complete bs... BUT it's not going to change anytime soon.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #2756
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Also irritating. No Braves pitcher made it. Jurrjens and his 154 ERA+ gets left out in favor of guys like Santana (127) and Billingsley (134), almost certainly because of his 6-6 record.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #2757
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Wins have always been the "sexy" stat as far as pitching goes. I believe Chris Carpenter belongs in the All Star game.. but I've heard a few reporters who say his last two losses (no run support) cost him his chance - and like some of you, I agree that is complete bs... BUT it's not going to change anytime soon.

yeah. we can sit here and bitch about WHIP and ERA+ and advanced metrics, but the bottom line is so few people in the game are conversant in those stats, and they're certainly not about to choose All Stars or Gold Gloves or Silver Sluggers or anything based on advanced metrics. that's why Jeter keeps winning Gold Gloves at shortstop even though he doesn't deserve them
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #2758
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Also irritating. No Braves pitcher made it. Jurrjens and his 154 ERA+ gets left out in favor of guys like Santana (127) and Billingsley (134), almost certainly because of his 6-6 record.

And even on the ajc.com poll as of a little while ago just over half the respondents said McCann was indeed the only Brave deserving of being an All-Star. You can bet his 6-6 record has a lot to do with that. If he was 9-3 there'd be a lot more people up in arms.

I think it gets lost sometimes how few people -- those who buy tickets, those who watch games, those who watch the All-Star game -- have any idea that ERA+ isn't a laundry detergent or that outside of fantasy baseball players that WHIP isn't something used by athletes with some serious strange sex lives.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #2759
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yeah. we can sit here and bitch about WHIP and ERA+ and advanced metrics, but the bottom line is so few people in the game are conversant in those stats, and they're certainly not about to choose All Stars or Gold Gloves or Silver Sluggers or anything based on advanced metrics. that's why Jeter keeps winning Gold Gloves at shortstop even though he doesn't deserve them

Right, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still be upset about it or stop talking about it, and that's not a response to someone saying Wakefield is undeserving. It just means he's deserving under the stupid criteria that most people use.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #2760
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can we talk more about how the douchebag steroid-cheaters Aroid and ManRam aren't invited to the game and how happy that makes me??
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #2761
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think Wakefield made it over Weaver because he's more clutch and has more wins.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #2762
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
can we talk more about how the douchebag steroid-cheaters Aroid and ManRam aren't invited to the game and how happy that makes me??

Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #2763
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And even on the ajc.com poll as of a little while ago just over half the respondents said McCann was indeed the only Brave deserving of being an All-Star. You can bet his 6-6 record has a lot to do with that. If he was 9-3 there'd be a lot more people up in arms.

I think it gets lost sometimes how few people -- those who buy tickets, those who watch games, those who watch the All-Star game -- have any idea that ERA+ isn't a laundry detergent or that outside of fantasy baseball players that WHIP isn't something used by athletes with some serious strange sex lives.

LOL, and quite true. It is unfortunate how Wins get used. At least Quality Starts should be easy enough to understand. Jurrijens, who is a fantasic pitcher, gets screwed because the Braves offense sucks horribly. How is that fair at all?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #2764
miked
College Starter

I can't believe a 4.30 ERA is All-Star-worthy. Plus, he has like 50 Ks. What a joke. Santana over Jurrjens is at least semi-justifiable. I don't know what would possess them to select Wakefield other than the Red Sox score runs when he pitches. He's so below average, they don't even use him in the playoffs unless all other options are exhausted.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #2765
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The NL Pitchers seem stranger and stranger to me as I look at them. Jurrijens doesn't make it, but neither does Gallardo? The guy who not only has a 154 ERA+ (2.75 ERA), but an 8-5 record? Neither Johnny Cueto, who has a 165 ERA+ (2.69 ERA), but an 8-4 record? Though I understand why Ted Lilly had to go (they had to fill a Cubs spot), Marquis was unnecessary (as Colorado already had Hawpe). I can even see Billingsley (Dodgers are by far the best team in the NL, so give 'em more). Santana should have been asked to take a seat, but I wonder if Manuel was scared that the Mets would consider it a snub and use it as bulletin board material or something.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #2766
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good to see a year where the All-Star player from the Royals is at least deserving of that honor rather than being added to comply with a rule. Congrats to Zack on his great 1st half of the year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #2767
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Phils explode on the Reds...10-0 after one inning.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #2768
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Phils explode on the Reds...10-0 after one inning.

I guess Cole can't complain about a lack of run support tonight.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #2769
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Especially when he drove 2 in himself.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #2770
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And after I just sang the praises of Cueto... of course.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #2771
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Santana should have been asked to take a seat, but I wonder if Manuel was scared that the Mets would consider it a snub and use it as bulletin board material or something.

Not likely. Manuel went with Santana because Santana gives him a better chance to win the game than Cueto or Jurrjens. For the managers (at least those still in the playoffs), they're going to go with the pitchers that they think give them the best chance to win, not those who necessarily deserve to be there.

Besides, I think you're giving Manuel too much credit. I love the guy, but I doubt he's smart enough to worry about potential bulletin board material to the mets.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 07-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #2772
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bah - smoltzy is looking mortal in his first fenway start
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #2773
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Royals traded cash and a PTBNL for Ryan Freel today for reasons that elude... everyone.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #2774
RedKingGold
College Starter

Philly might just drop a 20-spot on the Reds. Hopefully, this means only good things.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #2775
RedKingGold
College Starter

Make that a 22-spot.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #2776
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It's a shame that Hamels didn't pitch to the score and allow 21 runs so we could potentially hear Joe Morgan argue that it's just as hard to win 22-21 as it is to win 1-0.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #2777
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hamels scored more runs tonight with his bat than the Reds did.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #2778
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It's a shame that we ever face the possibility of hearing Joe Morgan.

Fixed that for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #2779
hoopsguy
General Manager

Jason Marquis, scoffing as his FOFC critics, continues to work his first half magic as he has gone 8 shutout innings against Washington. On the verge of back-to-back shutout wins, with this one being at Coors.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #2780
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Jason Marquis, scoffing as his FOFC critics, continues to work his first half magic as he has gone 8 shutout innings against Washington. On the verge of back-to-back shutout wins, with this one being at Coors.

Good for Jason!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #2781
hoopsguy
General Manager

In all seriousness, the Marquis track record suggests that he'll be substantially worse in the second half. That plus Coors Field could get really, really scary. But Colorado has to be ecstatic with what they have gotten out of him so far.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #2782
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

VOTE FOR PABLO!

He just hit a grand slam. Kalifornia, I expect those 500 votes!@
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #2783
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I can't believe a 4.30 ERA is All-Star-worthy. Plus, he has like 50 Ks. What a joke. Santana over Jurrjens is at least semi-justifiable. I don't know what would possess them to select Wakefield other than the Red Sox score runs when he pitches. He's so below average, they don't even use him in the playoffs unless all other options are exhausted.
Actually I'd say he's the textbook definition of league average. The one point in his favor vs. other starters is he can be thrown out there on whatever rest and throw however many innings if it goes extras like last year. Beckett (and some others) is scheduled to start the 12th and I don't want him possibly thrown out there late because they're running out of pitchers.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #2784
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
VOTE FOR PABLO!

He just hit a grand slam. Kalifornia, I expect those 500 votes!@

Hahahahaha. Yeahhhh. Well...I've got my plans for tomorrow. Hope my fingers don't fall off. If it helps get Pablito into the ASG, then it's worth it.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #2785
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The Royals traded cash and a PTBNL for Ryan Freel today for reasons that elude... everyone.

SI

During the Braves game, they said Francoeur to the Royals was a rumor with legs, as the Moore was involved in drafting him. That would be epic. I think they mentioned that a Guillen/Francoeur swap would be a possibility, in which case the Braves would be silly.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #2786
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They've been talking about Francoeur to the Royals for a couple of months. Rany (I think - there are so many Royals-centric bloggers out there) even wrote an article attempting to justify it several weeks ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #2787
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

SI

I don't think it's too bad. The Cubs are paying his entire salary. The Royals get a veteran utility guy who will likely warrant no more than a single or double-A minor league player when all is said and done.

My guess is that they're going to move a Teahan or Guillen in the near future and want a defensive guy to cover all positions in the outfield in addition to a backup SS now that Aviles is out.

Nice 3 game win streak for the boys in blue. Hope they keep it going.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-07-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #2788
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Wait until he starts talking about Farney. Freel may have run into the wall a few too many times.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #2789
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've already read some about Farney. Just think, he can talk to crazy personal Farny and relief pitcher, game blower extraordinaire Farnsy on the same team.

Yeah, the only thing people can come up with for why this move was done is that he's basically free- the prospect they trade better not be worth anything- and that someone else is about to be moved and they need a warm body to take the field.

SI

Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #2790
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, the only thing people can come up with for why this move was done is that he's basically free- the prospect they trade better not be worth anything- and that someone else is about to be moved and they need a warm body to take the field.

SI

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can also negotiate it to a cash deal as well, can they not?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #2791
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can also negotiate it to a cash deal as well, can they not?

I never saw any language saying that but that doesn't mean it's possible. I thought the trade was cash considerations + a player to be named later. It doesn't make any sense for the Cubs to just dump him and pay his salary- they would have just cut him then, correct?

SI

Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #2792
Ksyrup

Anyone see the story about the ump who was stupid enough to tell Jeter he was out not because he was tagged, but because the ball beat him to the bag so he didn't have to be tagged? I know that's gone on for years (although apparently it was actually allowed in years past but now is not supposed to be), but what kind of moron says something like that out loud?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #2793
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I never saw any language saying that but that doesn't mean it's possible. I thought the trade was cash considerations + a player to be named later. It doesn't make any sense for the Cubs to just dump him and pay his salary- they would have just cut him then, correct?

SI

I guess my scenario was that the Royals might reimburse some of that salary depending on performance.

I'm not worried about any good prospects being moved. If we're moving a decent prospect, it's likely because he played like an All-Star the second half of the season. There's a reason you never hear about teams arguing too much about 'player to be named later'. They're not expecting much in return outside of a warm body.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #2794
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I guess my scenario was that the Royals might reimburse some of that salary depending on performance.

I'm not worried about any good prospects being moved. If we're moving a decent prospect, it's likely because he played like an All-Star the second half of the season. There's a reason you never hear about teams arguing too much about 'player to be named later'. They're not expecting much in return outside of a warm body.

When a PTBNL is included in a deal, both teams agree on a list of players that the receiving team will be able to select from down the road. So it won't matter how Freel performs.

Some PTBNLs have turned into good players, although its obviously rare. Sometimes you'll see a more talented guy go is if he's not eligible to be traded or hurt.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #2795
Ksyrup

Supposedly the PTBNL that the Padres are getting from the A's in the Hairston deal is a good player, possibly the best player of the three (Padres fans hope, anyway).
Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #2796
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Supposedly the PTBNL that the Padres are getting from the A's in the Hairston deal is a good player, possibly the best player of the three (Padres fans hope, anyway).

Same with the Cards and the Mark DeRosa deal- the player going back to Cleveland along with Perez was supposed to be a "substantial" player to be named later- or some such similar language.

SI

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #2797
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

News out of Toronto that J.P. Ricciardi will listen to offers for Roy Halladay.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=283950

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #2798
Ksyrup

Every team listens to offers about every player. You would be stupid not to. I doubt any team would be willing or able to meet the price for Halladay. If they trade him for less than an overwhelming package, then it is clear they were actively shopping him. If they get a great deal, then that just means the potential of the players they got outweighed another year and a half worth of Halladay (plus a potential mega-bucks deal after that, compared to 3 or 4 cheap players under team control for 3-6 years).
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #2799
Travis
Pro Rookie

I know every team should listen, but really, if JP is in Toronto longer than Doc and there is no career ending injury involved I might just be done as a fan until JP leaves the organization.

Call it an over reaction or being dramatic or whatever you like, but this guy is absolutely killing me as a fan.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #2800
lungs
Pro Rookie

Brewers say Gamel and Escobar are untouchable but if it's Roy Halladay we are talking about here you'd think they'd reconsider.

Beats those silly Braves fans I've been hearing thinking that any package for Javier Vazquez ought to include Prince Fielder or Ryan Braun.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote