Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #2751
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Switzerland 2006 will go into the history books as the only team to not allow a goal in a world cup tournament.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #2752
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Man, Ukraine has come far since their 4-0 drubbing by Spain. Now they take on Italy! Go Ukraine!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #2753
Vince
Pro Starter

Amazing that they didn't allow a goal in regulation, and were eliminated.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #2754
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Amazingly bad PK's by Switzerland.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #2755
Huckleberry
College Starter

I hate PKs.

Would rather a 4th sub be granted for extra time (1 sub for every 30 minutes). Then after the first half hour of extra time move to unlimited subs and golden goal.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #2756
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Clearly the Ukraine's keeper had more keeper skill than the Swiss players' set piece skill.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #2757
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Clearly the Ukraine's keeper had more keeper skill than the Swiss players' set piece skill.

Anticipation > Penalty Taking

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-26-2006 at 04:53 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #2758
thealmighty
Pro Starter

That game is one reason the US is not a soccer country. Anyone watching that as their intro to the game will not care to come back for more. Boring. Uninspired.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #2759
thealmighty
Pro Starter

dola (or not)...

In Texas high school soccer (which I coached for 11 years), tie games are decided by a shootout instead of PKs. The offensive player takes the ball 35 yards from the goal, 1v1 on the keeper- just like in hockey. There is a time limit of 5 seconds, so you can't go playing around. And no rebound shot, either. Very exciting.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #2760
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
That game is one reason the US is not a soccer country. Anyone watching that as their intro to the game will not care to come back for more. Boring. Uninspired.

If you want instant gratification, like our culture promotes, you are probably right. I actually liked this game. The Swiss were a team no one scored upon, and I was curious how the Ukraine would resolve this. I saw this match as a chess match, and thought it was humorous the ref was NOT going to call any fouls, in obvious feedback to the game yesterday.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #2761
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*snicker*
Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #2762
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

On the Aussie game - the referee giveth and he also taketh away. He gave the Socceroos the opportunity to win with the red card for Materazzi and he took it away with the penalty. Both were dubious decisions.

But the Socceroos had it in their own hands to win and didn't. They have plenty of endeavour, good teamwork and great spirit but they simply don't have the flair to go to the next level. They huffed and they puffed but the Italian house is made of reinforced concrete.

A pity because they had the beating of the Ukraine and could have made it to the semis.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #2763
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

*snicker*

I swear that picture looks like the guy who was the 2nd banana on The Drew Carey Show.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #2764
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ryan Stiles?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #2765
thealmighty
Pro Starter

If he's a soccer fan at all, Ryan's lawyers may be in touch for defamation of mug.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #2766
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Drew Carey is a huge soccer fan, maybe he'll let Ryan in on it .
Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #2767
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Drew Carey is a huge soccer fan, maybe he'll let Ryan in on it .

Speaking of Drew Carey, he has a mini-series of following the WC on the Travel Channel, plus a build-up game between Barcelona-R. Madrid. He checks out the cities/towns, well following the game.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 PM   #2768
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah... and he taunts the poor camera man who doesn't have tickets to the match .
Old 06-26-2006, 11:04 PM   #2769
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

*snicker*

If he slicks his hair down it could be Adolf Hitler
Old 06-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #2770
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
dola (or not)...

In Texas high school soccer (which I coached for 11 years), tie games are decided by a shootout instead of PKs. The offensive player takes the ball 35 yards from the goal, 1v1 on the keeper- just like in hockey. There is a time limit of 5 seconds, so you can't go playing around. And no rebound shot, either. Very exciting.

Nothing new there. That was the shootout they used in the old North American Soccer League (NASL), if any of you remember it.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #2771
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Well, Aussies got a break on the red card. And they got it back on a what I would call a close penalty call. You cannot blame the Italian. There was nothing he could do but either fall over or try and jump him. I mean Neil slid right in front of him for god's sake. That was just pure stupidity on Neil. You simply cannot go to ground in the box unless you get all ball. He didn't. Technically, he did impede him. So close one, but taken together with the red, Neil's dumb play, and some of the most boring football I have ever seen by a team with a man advantage, I can't say at all that the Aussies got a raw deal.

Do you know at one point in the second half, and man up, Australia had a free kick from about 40 yards, and with two passes off the kick, the Aussies managed to voluntarily take the ball back across center and in their own half. Unbelievable.

Without the penalty, it was destined for penalties. I am almost positive Italy would have won that anyways.

On a final note, I thought overall the players adjusted and played pretty clean. I found even that the Italians did not do much diving.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #2772
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I don't believe that the Italian can reasonably be accused of diving. He couldn't have avoided Neill other than to jump high over him to avoid contact. No way is any player going to do that with a possible penalty in the offing for a trip.

In criticising the Aussie performance I think you underestimate the quality of the Italian defending. Italy sacrificed their attacking game - quite effective until then but for finishing - with a central defender on and a striker off and retained their characteristic superb defensive qualities. Only when Totti came on did they regain any sort of offensive game by which time the Socceroos were holding just two defenders back which, as usual, gives the opposition chances to counter attack. Exactly what would have happened in extra time and/or penalties is anyone's guess.

Italy should now make it past the Ukraine relatively easily to meet Argentina, I suspect, in the semis.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 06-27-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:14 AM   #2773
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yes, Italy is a tough nut to crack. But Socceroos did not make a dent. You have to try and pour it on. It's the World Cup.

I believe it will be Italy-Germany. I'm not on the Argentina bandwagon. One game they had that's really it. They easily could have lost to Mexico. Don't get me wrong, Argentina is good, but Germany is rolling, scoring, and has home field. I was 50/50 on that game, now I'm about 60/40 Germany.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:28 AM   #2774
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Btw,
great quote from Scolari - if the English media hadn't fucked it up, they could have had him as their next coach.
They still may but if either France or England had Scolari, I think either of those teams becomes a serious player for the title. As is, I think they will threaten but come up short.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #2775
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Scolari has already admitted the whole media thing was BS. He has come out and said he really wanted the job, and would have taken it if the FA didn't insist on him signing on the dotted line before the World Cup. He said he couldn't go into the tournament already commited to a different team afterward, especially considering Portugal and England could meet, thus giving him a very sticky situation. And lo and behold, he was right.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #2776
Icy
Pro Starter

And today... Spain will be paralized from 21:00 to 23:00. This game vs France is going to be our confirmation as one of the best worldwide squads... or as the great team that never does anything in the important events. The team is going to be the one that beat Ucrania but with two changes, Raul as offensive midfielder instead of Luis Garcia and the young promise Cesc instead of the more tought but less skilled Sena.

It means Spain is going to try to use skills and good attacking football instead of strengh and defensive tactics. At least will be a fun game to watch.

Look at this pic from the central square in Madrid for the game vs Saudi Arab. The local goberment has setup some huge screens to follow the games in the street, it's all a big party.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #2777
daedalus
Pro Rookie

The FA fucked up? No! No way!!!

[/sarcasm]
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 AM   #2778
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
And today... Spain will be paralized from 21:00 to 23:00. This game vs France is going to be our confirmation as one of the best worldwide squads... or as the great team that never does anything in the important events. The team is going to be the one that beat Ucrania but with two changes, Raul as offensive midfielder instead of Luis Garcia and the young promise Cesc instead of the more tought but less skilled Sena.
I would have preferred Raul up front with Torres. I have not been as impressed with David Villa as others have been. I probably have a Raul-bias, though.

I would have been interested in seeing Reyes given a chance to replace Garcia. Mainly from the fact that those who saw him at Sevilla have said that he plays best as the withdrawn striker with plenty of room and not as an out-and-out striker or left-winger as he has been cast as at Arsenal.

And partially for the fact that he's a Gooner!

Obviously, I like the insertion of Cesc into the lineup. With the midfielders they already have protecting a backline that includes Puyol, having someone like Cesc in there -- to pick apart a French backline that have not impressed me terribly much -- will be more beneficial than Senna.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 AM   #2779
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I would have preferred Raul up front with Torres. I have not been as impressed with David Villa as others have been. I probably have a Raul-bias, though.

I would have been interested in seeing Reyes given a chance to replace Garcia. Mainly from the fact that those who saw him at Sevilla have said that he plays best as the withdrawn striker with plenty of room and not as an out-and-out striker or left-winger as he has been cast as at Arsenal.

And partially for the fact that he's a Gooner!

Obviously, I like the insertion of Cesc into the lineup. With the midfielders they already have protecting a backline that includes Puyol, having someone like Cesc in there -- to pick apart a French backline that have not impressed me terribly much -- will be more beneficial than Senna.

Good analisys. I would have also put Raul upfront and Joaquin in the right wing. Joaquin speed with the ball is amazing, he can run so fast while doing incredible driblings, his speed could be helpfull too to make the french vets to waste their energy sooner. Reyes as you said could have been also a good option for that right wing.

Probably will be Raul who will play as offensive winger, he has played in that position too in R.Madrid. There he loses a lot of his eficiency as he is not a fast man and he always runs towards the goal, leaving the wing, when we need to open the camp with fast wingers close to the side line.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #2780
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Before we get to watch the majesty of Brazilian soccer and the border war between France and Spain, take a moment to watch what is possibly the greatest own goal ever scored. Enjoy!

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csQG0ZciFQ&search=chris%20brass
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #2781
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nice goal by Ronaldo.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #2782
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yikes, Brazil 1-0 Ghana in the 5th minute. Could be a long game.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #2783
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was quick
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #2784
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Oh wow. He made that look very, very easy.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #2785
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Balboa on Ronaldo: "He doesn't look overweight, he looks like he's been lifting."

Most useless analyst EVER.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #2786
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Oh wow. He made that look very, very easy.

To have the ability to kick the ball onto your own nose to wrongfoot the keeper is far from easy... Wait... You are talking about Chris Brass right?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #2787
3ric
College Starter

I wouldn't bet against Ronaldo winning the Golden Boot yet again.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #2788
cartman
Death Herald

Balboa is quickly challenging Brent Musberger in my book for most annoying announcer.

Two minutes ago he was praising the ref for issuing two yellow cards so far to keep the players in line. Now he was complaining that the refs were too quick with yellow cards and needed to talk to players first to give a warning. It's almost like he isn't there, and they are using a soundboard of quotes to simulate an announcer.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #2789
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... a ref actually cards a Brazilian for taking a dive! Amazing. Btw, that's the 301st yellow fo the tourney :shame:.

Anyway, very nice goal by Ronaldo to become the leading scoring in WC history.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #2790
cartman
Death Herald

Amazing cross there by Roberto Carlos. Too bad nothing came of it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #2791
Critch
lolzcat

Ghana aren't going out without a fight. Looking pretty good, finding gaps in the middle of the brazilian defence.

They'll still lose, though
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #2792
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... what a save by Dida... should have been a goal for Ghana
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #2793
3ric
College Starter

Amazing, amazing goal.

Edit: That's a way to beat the offside rule - counter so quickly the linesman has no chance to keep up!

Last edited by 3ric : 06-27-2006 at 10:47 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #2794
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Another goal for Brazil... Adriano at the end of a great build up!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #2795
Celeval
Pro Starter

And that'll just about wrap it up.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #2796
cartman
Death Herald

Nice buildup by Brazil to get that goal. But the replay made it look like Adriano was offsides before knocking the ball in.

No way Ghana scores three goals to win this one.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #2797
MJ4H
Coordinator

That looked offsides to me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #2798
Celeval
Pro Starter

Even if Adriano was offside, wouldn't it not matter since it was deflected by a Ghanian?

Edit: might be my poor understanding of the offsides rule, but since it wasn't necessarily played forward by an attacker at that point, doesn't the offsides not apply?

Last edited by Celeval : 06-27-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #2799
oykib
College Starter

It looked like Brazil was actually offside twice on that attack.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #2800
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
It looked like Brazil was actually offside twice on that attack.

Yeah the first one was pretty clear, but since the ball wasn't played to him, I think that is why it wasn't called.