Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #2751
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm not opposed to having multiple consoles. I'm just opposed to having a console with no compelling reason to own it, which is clearly the case right now with the X1 judging by how people are voting with their purchasing power.

A football game that has actual next-gen graphics and forward-thinking developers along the lines of the innovation we saw with NFL2K5 would be a huge coup for any console.

I feel the same way about a ps4.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #2752
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
SlingTV goes live on the Xbox One today. It will be free for the first month.

Sling TV: Everything you need to know - CNET
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #2753
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm not opposed to having multiple consoles. I'm just opposed to having a console with no compelling reason to own it, which is clearly the case right now with the X1 judging by how people are voting with their purchasing power.

So it's not based on the games that are out for it, it's based on how many people are buying it? So that would also mean that your favorite movie is 50 Shades of Grey and your favorite album is the Frozen soundtrack?

I've got both consoles. I am enjoying Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Halo Master Chief Collection. I'm not obsessed with the sales numbers, as long as enough people are buying the consoles so that they'll continue making excellent games. I'm very happy with both my XB1 and PS4.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #2754
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'm not obsessed with the sales numbers, as long as enough people are buying the consoles so that they'll continue making excellent games. I'm very happy with both my XB1 and PS4.

Ten years ago, I definitely would've had both systems. No doubt about it.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #2755
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Better be if they plan on releasing in July. Though I notice those aren't NFL logos and uniforms in the pic.

If it's unlicensed, then it better be very customizable.

In thinking about this, unlicensed might be how they can make exclusivity work. If they had the NFL license, they would need much more support from Microsoft, financially, to be successful as an exclusive title. If it's unlicensed, costs would, presumably, be lower.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #2756
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Nintendo is dipping it's toe into the mobile games market

Nintendo Is Finally Bringing Mario to Mobile Phones | WIRED
Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #2757
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
In thinking about this, unlicensed might be how they can make exclusivity work. If they had the NFL license, they would need much more support from Microsoft, financially, to be successful as an exclusive title. If it's unlicensed, costs would, presumably, be lower.

I think they're going to need more than Joe Montana. His street cred has been expired for about twenty years now.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #2758
Kodos
Resident Alien

Didn't 2K have another year of classic players on their deal?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #2759
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think they're going to need more than Joe Montana. His street cred has been expired for about twenty years now.

They're going for the early-90s 'god I remember Joe Montana Football' demographic.

I'd really rather just have a Mutant League Football revival. Gauntlet thrown, Microsoft: Get EA to give you that game exclusively, and THEN I'll buy an Xbox One.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #2760
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just want college football back!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #2761
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd really rather just have a Mutant League Football revival. Gauntlet thrown, Microsoft: Get EA to give you that game exclusively, and THEN I'll buy an Xbox One.

Yes. The irony is that the more realistic sporting video games look, the less realistic they look, too. I'd love a Mutant League Football-type game that threw realism out the window and gave me a better "Blitz: The League" type experience. If it focused on the RPG/dynasty side of things and included the usual online leaderboards etc. I don't see why it couldn't be a big hit, especially outside of the US.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #2762
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

You'll always have NCAA 14. Or 13. Whichever the final one was.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #2763
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So it's not based on the games that are out for it, it's based on how many people are buying it? So that would also mean that your favorite movie is 50 Shades of Grey and your favorite album is the Frozen soundtrack?

I've got both consoles. I am enjoying Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Halo Master Chief Collection. I'm not obsessed with the sales numbers, as long as enough people are buying the consoles so that they'll continue making excellent games. I'm very happy with both my XB1 and PS4.

I just don't see it with the X1. As I've previously mentioned, I'd buy a WiiU before I'd get a X1.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #2764
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola

Speaking of Nintendo, interested to see what the next console (Project NX) entails. Definitely looks to be a big change from their current setup.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #2765
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I would like to play Xenoblade Chronicles but it's now about $80 on the secondary market, and I'd have to buy a New 3DS XL to play it on 3DS. Plus my Wii is nasty, it has this huge rattling sound when running and I hate the controllers.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #2766
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

We still have 2 NCAA 2014 leagues going.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #2767
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You'll always have NCAA 14. Or 13. Whichever the final one was.

I want next gen!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #2768
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We still have 2 NCAA 2014 leagues going.

When I get time, I'll take a look at these leagues.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #2769
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I get time, I'll take a look at these leagues.

Join the Ladder!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #2770
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I just don't see it with the X1. As I've previously mentioned, I'd buy a WiiU before I'd get a X1.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #2771
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

It's a good thing.. he would just bitch and moan about how the ps4 is far superior to the xb1.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #2772
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

We have a Wii U, we played it for about two weeks and then it went into my oldest sons room. I imagine we'll get it back when the new Zelda game comes out, but I wouldn't call it a good purchase.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #2773
Galaril
Pro Starter

Currently own a PS4 and was to this point a complete waste of money and as mentioned before has become a glorified set top box bluray player. The only decent games are indy ones but a few exceptions.( The Last of Us and Dragon Age).
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #2774
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Currently own a PS4 and was to this point a complete waste of money and as mentioned before has become a glorified set top box bluray player. The only decent games are indy ones but a few exceptions.( The Last of Us and Dragon Age).

Counterspy
is a fairly decent game, but short.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #2775
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
We have a Wii U, we played it for about two weeks and then it went into my oldest sons room. I imagine we'll get it back when the new Zelda game comes out, but I wouldn't call it a good purchase.

Sounds like my Dreamcast debacle.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #2776
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I want next gen!

File an amicus brief and get EA/the NCAA to reach some kind of reasonable revenue sharing agreement with the players. Failing that, convince EA to re-license the trademarks and release a game that isn't quite so obviously wink-wink "these aren't REALLY the players but you know I both know they actually are" rosters.

Quote:

The best thing about the Wii U to me is how the GamePad makes it a portable console. It doesn't have to be hooked up to the TV for me to play most games, and that gives it life when the rest of my inputs are taken up by Sony/Microsoft systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

I don't consider my PS4 purchase to have been a waste of money. I do agree that I'd like to see more compelling first- and second-party games (and I hope MLB 15 isn't as barebones as MLB 14 was, because MLB is the reason I bought when I did instead of waiting a bit longer in the first place).

Quote:
Sounds like my Dreamcast debacle.

I don't ever want to hear you use those two words in the same sentence again.

The Dreamcast is the only pre-Xbox 360 system I still regularly hook up to my TV!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #2777
Kodos
Resident Alien

I literally never found a game that I really enjoyed on the Dreamcast. Bought it for NFL2K, but didn't enjoy the game aside from the superior graphics to Madden at the time. Crazy Taxi was okay at best. Don't remember the other games. It was like running money through the shredder. Hated the controller too.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-18-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #2778
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bought it for NFL2K, but didn't enjoy the game aside from the superior graphics to Madden at the time.

That game was seriously overrated (as is the series). Try to throw an out route and the ball would float like a balloon.

Last edited by BillJasper : 03-18-2015 at 12:11 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #2779
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
File an amicus brief and get EA/the NCAA to reach some kind of reasonable revenue sharing agreement with the players. Failing that, convince EA to re-license the trademarks and release a game that isn't quite so obviously wink-wink "these aren't REALLY the players but you know I both know they actually are" rosters.

The only football game I've liked since NFL 2k.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #2780
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I literally never found a game that I really enjoyed on the Dreamcast. Bought it for NFL2K, but didn't enjoy the game aside from the superior graphics to Madden at the time. Crazy Taxi was okay at best. Don't remember the other games. It was like running money through the shredder. Hated the controller too.

There are some underappreciated classics on that system. Skies of Arcadia is still maybe my favorite RPG of all time. Flying pirate ships!

Jet Grind Radio and Space Channel 5 were niche for sure, but good games.

I loved Sega GT, but it obviously got overshadowed by Gran Turismo.

I'm still holding out hope for Shenmue III to join the first two games.

ReVolt was fun. RC car racing game. Toy Commander was a scaled down vehicular combat game, IIRC. Also fun.

Seaman had Leonard Nimoy voicing the main (only) character. Talking to your critter and hearing it respond in his voice was neat. Very weird game, for sure.

Typing of the Dead was fantastic, although it lives on as a PC game these days.

Metropolis Street Racer wasn't an open-world racer as originally conceived, but it still set the stage for Project Gotham Racing on Xbox, and the idea of racing in real-world city environments in general.

Ikaruga is a fantastic game if you like shmups. That one got ported a couple different places, so you don't need a Dreamcast to experience it, but still a fantastic game.

I spent so so much time on Phantasy Star Online back in the day. Less so on the sequel once subscription fees Became A Thing, but the original? oh my god you have no idea

Rez is a trippy-as-fuck shmup. Ported to the PS2, but I don't think the PS2 got the weird vibrator gizmo.

Virtua Tennis is still my favorite tennis game ever. Give me that game with a career mode and real-world tennis venues/championships, and I might seriously never play another sports game.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #2781
mckerney
Coordinator

I been loving the Wii U. I've played it a lot since picking it up last year and Bayonetta 2 and Super Mario 3D World are two of my all time favorite games, plus Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker were two of last year's best releases. Currently having a blast with Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #2782
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My Wii U gets used probably 5 days a week, the kids still love playing Smash Bros. I screwed up when I got them the Mario Kart package though because it seems too hard for them and they gave up on it right away. I thought that Donkey Kong (which also came with it) would cover the platformer but it's also too hard. In retrospect the 3D World package would have been the better choice.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #2783
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thanks to everyone on the WiiU feedback. The nice thing about it is that it obviously offers a much different experience than the PS4, which is what I'd be looking for if I bought a second console.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #2784
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
My Wii U gets used probably 5 days a week, the kids still love playing Smash Bros. I screwed up when I got them the Mario Kart package though because it seems too hard for them and they gave up on it right away. I thought that Donkey Kong (which also came with it) would cover the platformer but it's also too hard. In retrospect the 3D World package would have been the better choice.

From playing both 3D World would definitely be better for kids. Tropical Freeze is incredibly hard all the way through while Super Mario 3D World is fairly easily to beat but has hard post game content.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #2785
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would like to play Xenoblade Chronicles but it's now about $80 on the secondary market, and I'd have to buy a New 3DS XL to play it on 3DS. Plus my Wii is nasty, it has this huge rattling sound when running and I hate the controllers.

XC is probably the most expensive used game I've ever bought, but it was well worth the $40.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #2786
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Sony is taking the online servers for The Show 14 down and offline permanently the day The Show 15 comes out. That would be ruthless even for EA. This isn't EA.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #2787
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
XC is probably the most expensive used game I've ever bought, but it was well worth the $40.

Not to mention that finding a Wii copy for $40 is a steal with the typical prices for it.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-20-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #2788
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Sony is taking the online servers for The Show 14 down and offline permanently the day The Show 15 comes out. That would be ruthless even for EA. This isn't EA.

I'm guessing you haven't played online on the '14 edition servers. They're doing you a favor, trust me on that.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #2789
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't. But assuming you are saying it's a bad experience. Maybe they should fix it instead of abandoning a year in?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #2790
SackAttack
Head Coach

Online has been a bad experience for the past several versions. I tried an online league '13, and it was..."shit" is being kind.

They do need to get it right, but...
Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #2791
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting secondary driver for Sony in the growth of their business. iPhone 6.

Sorry, Kim Jong-un! Sony has made huge comeback - Mar. 18, 2015
Old 03-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #2792
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

X1 and PS4 are pretty much identical. Just a difference in price and marketing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #2793
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Online has been a bad experience for the past several versions. I tried an online league '13, and it was..."shit" is being kind.

They do need to get it right, but...

The only online experience I have involved climbing a fence to rob a home run in the ninth. I thought it was pretty great

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #2794
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
X1 and PS4 are pretty much identical. Just a difference in price and marketing.

The former wouldn't be near the deterrent to me that it is if not for the latter.

After watching Microsoft cut the original Xbox out of the Xbox Live loop - meaning that if you ever lose any DLC you may have paid for, you are fuck outta luck for the rest of time - I was already wary.

Then they said "hey it doesn't matter that half the country has subpar broadband and we're requiring an always-on connection, that's what Xbox 360 is for." Plus the other crap, which I won't re-hash. Yeah, they backed off on that, but they also pinky-swore they wouldn't cut Xbox 360 out of the Live loop the way they did their previous system. And that's the bitch of it, ain't it? The only way for them to prove that they mean it and won't go back on that is to continue to provide access to the service; in the meantime, everything they went back on with the Xbox One, they did so with a software patch. They could, conceivably, revert those changes at any time.

So you have a system whose hardware was designed around ideas I found problematic, marketed by a company whose actions I was already wary of before they announced all those GREAT THINGS WE'RE SURE WON'T BE A PROBLEM AT A--oh.

So now I've got some trust issues. Do I want an Xbox One? Sure, I guess. But now they've got to meet me on my comfort level price-wise if they want me back. So that might be a few years.

Last edited by SackAttack : 03-23-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #2795
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice twist to the NPD numbers this month. Three exclusives (Bloodborne, Mario Party 10, MLB 15: The Show) all made the top ten. In fact, they were three of the top six spots. That's good news for console owners who are hoping for more exclusives. Should embolden the developers that the audience is there. Bloodborne and The Show both managed to get in the top six despite releasing very late in the month.

PS4 continues to win the NPD numbers. Worldwide, they continue to outsell the X1 at a 2.5:1 pace, moving over 1M units in March while X1 moved right around 400K.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-21-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #2796
cartman
Death Herald

NPD doesn't report console sales numbers. But they did report on revenue, and the numbers don't match up to your claims. NPD reported that across all consoles hardware revenue numbers were down 21 percent from the same month last year, and totaled $311 million.

March 2015 NPD: PS4 beats Xbox One; Battlefield, Bloodborne lead sluggish March game sales | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

How this quote passed the editors, I don't know:

Quote:
The NPD doesn’t share the hardware sales numbers, so we’ve asked the big three for a comment. Once again, PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console, according to Sony.

Last edited by cartman : 04-21-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #2797
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MS announces 3rd quarter results.

Quote:
Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue decreased $72 million or 4%, primarily due to lower revenue from Xbox Platform, offset in part by higher Surface revenue. Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 4%. Xbox Platform revenue decreased $306 million or 24%, driven by a 20% decline in console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year. We sold 1.6 million Xbox consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2015 compared with 2.0 million consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2014. Surface revenue increased $219 million or 44%, primarily due to Surface Pro 3 units sold, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from other Surface devices sold. Surface Pro 3 was released in June 2014.

Computing and Gaming Hardware gross margin increased $156 million or 60%, due to a $228 million or 14% decrease in cost of revenue, offset in part by lower revenue. Gross margin benefited from the mix shift to Surface Pro 3. Computing and Gaming cost of revenue decreased, primarily due to a $265 million or 27% decline in Xbox Platform cost of revenue, driven by lower volumes and a lower cost per console sold.

Nine months ended March 31, 2015 compared with nine months ended March 31, 2014

Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue increased $499 million or 6%, primarily due to higher revenue from Surface, offset in part by lower revenue from Xbox Platform. Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 2%. Surface revenue increased $939 million or 53%, primarily due to Surface Pro 3 units sold, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from other Surface devices sold. Xbox Platform revenue decreased $471 million or 8%, driven by lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year, as well as a decrease in second- and third-party video games revenue. We sold 10.7 million Xbox consoles during the first nine months of fiscal year 2015 compared with 10.6 million consoles during the first nine months of fiscal year 2014.

Computing and Gaming Hardware gross margin increased $479 million or 55%, mainly due to higher revenue. Computing and Gaming cost of revenue was flat. Gross margin benefited from the mix shift to Surface Pro 3. Surface cost of revenue increased $156 million or 7%, mainly due to the higher cost per device sold for Surface Pro 3. Xbox Platform cost of revenue decreased $138 million or 3%, mainly due to lower cost per console sold.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #2798
cartman
Death Herald

Clearly investors are spooked. MSFT was only up 10.45% on the day.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #2799
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I know there are some folks who get sexually excited at the thought of the Xbox One failing. But if it fails, that is bad for the entire console industry.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #2800
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Clearly investors are spooked. MSFT was only up 10.45% on the day.

Oh no they might not make a 6th gen Xbox!!!!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote