Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2024, 12:33 PM   #27451
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not ever really messing with AI on that sort of stuff, I would have ignorantly figured the workaround would be asking it from a news reporting approach (like "why did Disney file suit about DeSantis")

Nope. Worded it exactly as you said. Copilot won’t “talk about elections.”
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:41 PM   #27452
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I like how I can get microsoft's AI to talk to me about the differences between white and black basketball players but it won't touch hard hitting questions like "what moves by ron desantis does disney disagree with to cause them to file suit." based on the grounds that it won't talk political.

Maybe you could ask the Microsoft AI what ChatGTP would say about the Desantis issue.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:02 AM   #27453
Atocep
Coordinator

My wife works for UW Medicine as a supervisor for one of the appointment teams. It's 100% telework and UW tracks nearly every productivity metric imaginable yet a couple of her employees think they can game the system. She had a formal sit down with one of her employees yesterday that included the union since it was a work avoidance reprimand that's considered a final conduct warning (this employee has been in trouble multiple times).

What she was doing was hanging up on patients by unplugging her ethernet cable to say she had an internet outage. The problem is their phone system used at home is also on ethernet and she was leaving that plugged in. So they could see data was still going to the phone. She did this 4 times. They sat her down and presented the evidence and explained it was a final warning and any additional zero tolerance actions would result in termination. She started crying halfway through this meeting and then shortly after had to call out the rest of the day because of a panic attack.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-28-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 11:10 AM   #27454
thesloppy
Pro Starter

She sounds like a pro....at avoiding work
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 11:24 AM   #27455
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Sounds like a typical employee in 2024.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:32 AM   #27456
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My wife works for UW Medicine as a supervisor for one of the appointment teams. It's 100% telework and UW tracks nearly every productivity metric imaginable yet a couple of her employees think they can game the system. She had a formal sit down with one of her employees yesterday that included the union since it was a work avoidance reprimand that's considered a final conduct warning (this employee has been in trouble multiple times).

What she was doing was hanging up on patients by unplugging her ethernet cable to say she had an internet outage. The problem is their phone system used at home is also on ethernet and she was leaving that plugged in. So they could see data was still going to the phone. She did this 4 times. They sat her down and presented the evidence and explained it was a final warning and any additional zero tolerance actions would result in termination. She started crying halfway through this meeting and then shortly after had to call out the rest of the day because of a panic attack.

First off, Go UW!

Second off, sounds like she is trying to set up some sort of lawsuit for when she inevitably gets canned.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 11:34 AM   #27457
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I work for a big employer in the area and there's literally a cottage industry devoted to gaming our leave system so as to avoid terminations.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 06:13 PM   #27458
21C
College Prospect

Whenever I wear a button-up shirt, I usually just unbutton the top one and slip it off over my head. I even wash them still buttoned up. I put on a shirt this morning getting ready for work and was about to leave home when I unconsciously reached down to check that my top button was done up. It felt weird so I looked down and realized that I had put it on inside-out.

I would hate to think of what I would have copped from the students at my high school if I made it all the way to work like that.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:20 PM   #27459
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Note to self, do not run servers running on outdated operating systems.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:07 PM   #27460
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Note to self, do not run servers running on outdated operating systems.

The company I work for went through a cyberattack a couple years ago, which forced them to finally face up to how far behind the curve they were operating, and the entire IS department has been doing nothing but patching, updating and upgrading servers for two solid years now. Who needs new features?
Old 08-28-2024, 08:50 PM   #27461
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The company I work for went through a cyberattack a couple years ago, which forced them to finally face up to how far behind the curve they were operating, and the entire IS department has been doing nothing but patching, updating and upgrading servers for two solid years now. Who needs new features?

Luckily we didn't suffer an (successful) attack. But for some reason our server got the blue screen of death when trying to boot to Windows 2012 Server. Cloning the hard drive and putting it in another computer results in the same error. And no one we can find has repair media for the OS.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:10 PM   #27462
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Good times.
Old 08-29-2024, 04:09 AM   #27463
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Luckily we didn't suffer an (successful) attack. But for some reason our server got the blue screen of death when trying to boot to Windows 2012 Server. Cloning the hard drive and putting it in another computer results in the same error. And no one we can find has repair media for the OS.

That's why full & incremental backups are done ...

... they were they done, right?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 10:05 PM   #27464
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
That's why full & incremental backups are done ...

... they were they done, right?

Actually I learned a lesson as an IT guy.

Don't Assume.

So our customer facing webserver crashed. Our paid experts determined it was a Window Server 2012 problem and we could recover if we had recovery media for that OS. Nobody had it since it is no longer supported.

So we moved the webserver to a standby desktop (which was purchased shortly after the server). I thought it would be slower but we expanded the RAM and that computer performed better than the server. Also it is just running Windows 10 pro which can act as a webserver. I plan on giving it a solid state drive on tuesday.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-30-2024 at 10:06 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 08:15 AM   #27465
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm sure this is a bit of information I knew at some point in the last 40 years or so, but I just read that Tippi Hedren is Don Johnson's mother. She's 94.

I love being so old that I learn new information every day, even if it's probably not new information to me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 08:22 AM   #27466
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm sure this is a bit of information I knew at some point in the last 40 years or so, but I just read that Tippi Hedren is Don Johnson's mother. She's 94.

I love being so old that I learn new information every day, even if it's probably not new information to me.

His ex-wife's mother. Melanie Griffith.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 08:32 AM   #27467
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
His ex-wife's mother. Melanie Griffith.

Ah. Did I know that? Now I do. Again?.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-31-2024, 10:00 AM   #27468
jcard
n00b

Quote:

I remember my father telling me that if some people worked as hard at doing their jobs as they worked trying to avoid doing their jobs they would find that it made their work lives a lot easier.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 10:56 AM   #27469
GrantDawg

Quote:
Ah. Did I know that? Now I do. Again?.

That and Mariska Hargitay is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield is always feels weird. Like that old Hollywood should be further distant than that.

Of course, you also have Dakota Johnson is the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. She is in her mid-30's, a pretty big star on her own, and that all makes me feel ancient.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:48 AM   #27470
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That and Mariska Hargitay is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield is always feels weird. Like that old Hollywood should be further distant than that.

Of course, you also have Dakota Johnson is the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. She is in her mid-30's, a pretty big star on her own, and that all makes me feel ancient.

Mine as of a couple years ago was finding out that Jason Patric is the grandson of Jackie Gleason
Old 08-31-2024, 11:58 AM   #27471
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Mine as of a couple years ago was finding out that Jason Patric is the grandson of Jackie Gleason

Oh my God! I did not know that. Crazy.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-31-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:02 PM   #27472
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

My brother is in surgery/ He was hit by a car on his bicycle today.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 02:04 PM   #27473
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Oh man! Prayers everything goes ok.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:06 PM   #27474
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Don't know much about it. Was told he uses a bicycling app wherew he and a friend from chicago both bike and talk at the same time. The friend realized something had happened and called his wife.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:09 PM   #27475
GrantDawg

Quote:
Don't know much about it. Was told he uses a bicycling app wherew he and a friend from chicago both bike and talk at the same time. The friend realized something had happened and called his wife.

So possible hit and run? That's messed up.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:12 PM   #27476
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
So possible hit and run? That's messed up.

i don't know. We know nothing about it. he's in st louis and i guess doesn't usually bike far from home
Old 08-31-2024, 02:19 PM   #27477
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry to hear. My wife and son bike a lot and that's always been one of my fears.

Hope he comes out of surgery okay and best wishes to family.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:28 PM   #27478
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This is why I spend my life in front of the computer
Old 08-31-2024, 02:29 PM   #27479
GrantDawg

Quote:
This is why I spend my life in front of the computer

Me too. I won't be hit by a car. My heart will just clog up and kill me like God intended.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-31-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2024, 05:36 PM   #27480
Ksyrup

I rarely run outside. 99.9% of my runs are on a treadmill. Three years ago, in preparation for a half marathon, I ran 2-3 times outside to get used to it. The first or second time, I'm crossing a street on a red light while a guy in a pickup is in the RH turn lane, STARING AT/THROUGH/PAST ME, looking for cars coming, and I swear I caught his eye so I kept running to pass in front of him, and right as I came up on his left front bumper he pulls out to turn right and almost hit me. I flew in a rage, got up to his driver side window, screamed at him, and hit the side of his door as hard as I could with both palms. I hope I left a dent.

So yeah, I greatly prefer my treadmill.
Old 08-31-2024, 05:59 PM   #27481
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Oh man, sending good thoughts your way.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 06:56 PM   #27482
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Eh, when I think of Mansfield I think of the famous photo of her and Sophia Loren (still around) giving her noobs the side eye, which was apparently taken in 1957. I don’t think of that era as “old Hollywood”; to me that’s more the 1930s (say, Jean Harlow or Carole Lombard).

I had no idea on Gleason/Patric.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:22 PM   #27483
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I know this won't help at all but I"m gonna type it anyway. He didn't make it. I am floored. What the hell...
Old 08-31-2024, 07:37 PM   #27484
GrantDawg

I'm so sorry.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2024, 07:42 PM   #27485
Edward64
Head Coach

Very sorry about your brother.

Best wishes to you and brother's family.
Old 08-31-2024, 09:13 PM   #27486
Kodos
Resident Alien

So sorry to hear that, CF. Sorry for your family’s loss.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 09:17 PM   #27487
Ksyrup

That's awful. I'm so sorry.
Old 08-31-2024, 10:02 PM   #27488
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oh man, how awful. Sorry, CF.
Old 09-01-2024, 05:39 AM   #27489
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So it was at a park. There are no details. Even his wife doesn't know. But she had an app to track him. The ambulance was there when she arrived. Sesriously what the hell kkind of surgeons were on him. THey can pretty much keep every part of the body running by machine nowadays. THere is no excuse for this.
Old 09-04-2024, 08:11 AM   #27490
bob
College Starter

Buying an appliance at a place like Home Depot has always been a funny experience to me.

Step 1 - Picking the appliance

Salesman: "This is an amazing fridge and you should buy it."

Step 2 - Finalizing the purchase

Salesman: "This fridge is the biggest piece of shit you could ever own and if you don't buy the extended warranty, you will remember this moment as the worst mistake you ever made in your life."
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 09:59 PM   #27491
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How do I go about getting a photo enhanced, cropped and turned into a locket photo? It’s a pretty low-quality old photo and I need to have someone cropped out of it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 10:33 PM   #27492
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How do I go about getting a photo enhanced, cropped and turned into a locket photo? It’s a pretty low-quality old photo and I need to have someone cropped out of it.

There are online options that'll do it, you should also be able to find a number of people (photographers, studios, etc) that can do it in your area

Just google something like "photo enhancement" or "photo retouching" near me, should give you options
Old 09-07-2024, 06:44 AM   #27493
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Buying an appliance at a place like Home Depot has always been a funny experience to me.

Step 1 - Picking the appliance

Salesman: "This is an amazing fridge and you should buy it."

Step 2 - Finalizing the purchase

Salesman: "This fridge is the biggest piece of shit you could ever own and if you don't buy the extended warranty, you will remember this moment as the worst mistake you ever made in your life."
Our last frig lasted two years. The freezer stopped freezing and it would have cost as much as a new one to repair without any warranty. I absolutely bought an extended warranty on the replacement.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-07-2024 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 07:27 AM   #27494
Ksyrup

I work in the service contract industry. It's just low-scale insurance (well, quasi-insurance) to hedge against the cost of repairing or replacing big ticket items. If you can afford the hit, you don't need a service contract. If you can't, then you should consider it. Some are better than others. Rule of thumb is to pay no more than 10% of the product price for a service contract. I've bought one here or there when I knew there was a greater than usual chance I'd need it. I've also got a home warranty because our house is 18 years old and one of our AC units is still original.

Prices can vary greatly since they are not regulated. The way it works is insurance companies/obligor companies use core insurance actuarial concepts to price them out, but then we sell them to marketing companies, adminsitrators, retailers, etc., who are free to mark them up as much as they want to sell them to consumers. So if the book runs the loss ratio we think it should, we make a decent profit but the big money is at the next level where everything above what we sell it to the retailers/administrators is the margin they get to keep. And that can be a huge number.

Some companies' entire existence is built on service contract plans. One of the big reasons companies like CompUSA and Circuit City went out of business was because of the decline in service contract sales. They were basically treading water on the sale of actual product and making all of their money on these plans. Same for some jewelry companies.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2024 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:26 AM   #27495
GrantDawg

Someone needs to check on the hamsters that runs the servers. The board has been running slow last couple of days.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:42 AM   #27496
Ksyrup

Last night and early this morning especially. It's gotten bad.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:16 PM   #27497
GrantDawg

I watched this and just was struck on hos old Connie Chung acts. Then I realized she is almost 80.

Old 09-07-2024, 05:43 PM   #27498
Ksyrup

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the credit card "perks" I get for DoorDash and Uber are just utter BS when you don't live in a big city. I get $25 a month for Uber, and of course I have no need for actual Uber rides living where I live, so I've been trying to use them on Uber Eats. Key word - try. Most of the time, the orders are wrong, take way too long to deliver, and are almost not worth the effort.

Today, for the second time, I watched on the app as a driver went the wrong way to try to get to our neighborhood but went into an adjacent neighborhood that does not connect by road to ours. It's 10 minutes away by car, but you can probably walk between the two in less than 10 minutes. The guy actually called me and argued that he was at an address number as close to mine as he could find... except it wasn't the same street. But hey, he found 123 on the map, nevermind that it was on Main Street and not Johnson Avenue! I ordered dinner at 4:05 and it showed up at 5:45.

We wanted to order wings from a local place but apparently they refuse to do to-go/Uber Eats wings orders on football days because the menu on the app had a bunch of stuff, but no wings. Mind you, this is a fucking wings place! So we ended up ordering BBQ, and it took 100 minutes to get delivered. When we have ordered wings from the local wings place, 2/3rds of the time something is wrong - sometimes they don't come sauced, sometimes they are missing a sauce flavor we ordered, sometimes it's missing a salad, etc. Or the local Mexican place forgets to add chips and salsa, or doesn't provide tortillas with fajitas, etc.

Is this normal for those of you who regularly use these apps? Because I'm really getting sick of the crappy service from either/both the driver or restaurant.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 06:13 PM   #27499
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have had a few bad experiences, but not at that rate, or to that level.
Old 09-07-2024, 06:49 PM   #27500
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the credit card "perks" I get for DoorDash and Uber are just utter BS when you don't live in a big city. I get $25 a month for Uber, and of course I have no need for actual Uber rides living where I live, so I've been trying to use them on Uber Eats. Key word - try. Most of the time, the orders are wrong, take way too long to deliver, and are almost not worth the effort.

Today, for the second time, I watched on the app as a driver went the wrong way to try to get to our neighborhood but went into an adjacent neighborhood that does not connect by road to ours. It's 10 minutes away by car, but you can probably walk between the two in less than 10 minutes. The guy actually called me and argued that he was at an address number as close to mine as he could find... except it wasn't the same street. But hey, he found 123 on the map, nevermind that it was on Main Street and not Johnson Avenue! I ordered dinner at 4:05 and it showed up at 5:45.

We wanted to order wings from a local place but apparently they refuse to do to-go/Uber Eats wings orders on football days because the menu on the app had a bunch of stuff, but no wings. Mind you, this is a fucking wings place! So we ended up ordering BBQ, and it took 100 minutes to get delivered. When we have ordered wings from the local wings place, 2/3rds of the time something is wrong - sometimes they don't come sauced, sometimes they are missing a sauce flavor we ordered, sometimes it's missing a salad, etc. Or the local Mexican place forgets to add chips and salsa, or doesn't provide tortillas with fajitas, etc.

Is this normal for those of you who regularly use these apps? Because I'm really getting sick of the crappy service from either/both the driver or restaurant.

Seems like a certain ebb & flow, even my traditional horrible luck with food anywhere. I think I had 4 wrong orders in a row (or 3 in a row and like 4/5) but then I'll

I've learn, with some trial & error, which places can never get it right and which ones at least have reasonable success unless I'm just in one of those "everything will be wrong" runs.

And those who can't ever get it right after 2-3 tries, I just eliminate from consideration. Sadly, even the best of the bunch eventually go into that state, forcing me to find new hoping-against-hope choices.

I've also learned that you can't really do ubereats here on certain days, and damned sure not on Saturday during football season. That's just asking for trouble.