Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #2701
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What did he learn by going into the house that he wouldn't have learned by staying on the porch?

For starters, that there weren't five guys inside the house standing there trying to quietly hold a big screen TV without dropping it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #2702
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
You'd prefer they waste their time doing a thorough investigation on an "incident" where it becomes obvious pretty quickly is BS?

"Could have become" obvious ... didn't because Gates is a grandstanding (and quite possibly from the available info demented) asshole. Who would likely have been tazed, cuffed, and dragged to the car pissing on himself if he had been a white redneck living in a trailer.

Quote:
Yeah, this isn't Bucc, it's Jon. Of course he's OK with giving exceptional police powers to the state.

If you think trying to thoroughly investigate a possible burglary report is "exceptional police powers" then you must have some incredibly shitty cops.

Sadly though, we know now that this was a losing proposition for the cops who answered the call from the get-go. If they do their job, they get blasted by the racists from the White House all the way down. But if they don't investigate it thoroughly, then they would doubtless be accused by the same group of racists & white guilters of not being interested in crimes against blacks.

I gotta tell you though, if I'm a burglar in the area, I'm just waiting for the reporters to leave the yard before I hit that house. What cop in their right mind would give the house much more than a quick drive-by on a call to that address?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #2703
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I agree with what mr. molson said, even if his beer tastes like crap

Sometimes in college you need to find large amounts of beer for very little money. In upstate NY, molson was often the best option, at least in the stores that didn't sell Utica Club Draft.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #2704
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For starters, that there weren't five guys inside the house standing there trying to quietly hold a big screen TV without dropping it.

No one's claimed he searched the residence. Those five guys could have still been there.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #2705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No one's claimed he searched the residence. Those five guys could have still been there.

God help him if he had tried to do a truly thorough search, look what happened when he dared to cross the threshold of the poor widdle downtwodden bwack man's door.

More seriously though, until he deals with the raving blithering nutjob in front of him, he can't do a room by room search anyway. That's asking to get attacked from behind & no cop in the world should ever be that stupid.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #2706
molson
General Manager

Quote:

If the cops get a 911 call of a break-in, they're going in to check it out if identity isn't established at the door (after a knock and announce).

That's true regardless of the city, state, race of officer, race of anyone at the scene, economic status of neighborhood, etc.

If you a have a problem with that as a general policy that's fine, but this isn't something this officer made up on the spot

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #2707
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
God help him if he had tried to do a truly thorough search, look what happened when he dared to cross the threshold of the poor widdle downtwodden bwack man's door.

More seriously though, until he deals with the raving blithering nutjob in front of him, he can't do a room by room search anyway. That's asking to get attacked from behind & no cop in the world should ever be that stupid.

So entering the home didn't accomplish anything useful.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #2708
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Sure, not in this case. 95% of officer's actions don't accomplish anything useful. They check so then can help in the 5% of situations where they're needed.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #2709
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Only because of the obstruction by the (eventually determined) homeowner.

Which is what Gates ought to be prosecuted for, obstruction (or the equivalent wording under locally applicable law).
Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #2710
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was wondering about that this morning driving in to work (i.e. what beer they'd drink). I figured maybe a good American craft beer would make sense. But Bud Light? Eurgh....

More facts come out!

The Audacity of Hops - Political Punch

Quote:
The president, we are told, will be drinking Bud Light, Crowley will have Blue Moon, and Gates will have Red Stripe -- Red Light and Blue.

At least he isn't foisting his bad beer choice on them
Crowley and Gates both made decent choices (I prefer Blue Moon over Red Stripe, but that's probably because I'm a subconcious racist or something )
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #2711
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I gotta tell you though, if I'm a burglar in the area, I'm just waiting for the reporters to leave the yard before I hit that house. What cop in their right mind would give the house much more than a quick drive-by on a call to that address?

God I hate it when I agree with you, Jon.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #2712
MacroGuru
Coordinator

To many pages to dig through, but my friend just sent me this...the ACLU created this one.

Ordering Pizza in 2012
hxxp://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

Last edited by MacroGuru : 07-30-2009 at 10:38 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #2713
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Red Stripe's a decent beer (especially with some lime), and I do like Blue Moon in the summer. Call me deeply disappointed by Obama's beer choice, though. Frankly, I regret voting for him now.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #2714
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #2715
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Imagine the hilarity that would have ensued if Obama had picked a Kenyan beer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #2716
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Imagine the hilarity that would have ensued if Obama had picked a Kenyan beer.

Or even better, a non-alcoholic Kenyan beer.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #2717
lungs
Pro Rookie

That's it. I've fully supported Obama this whole time in everything that he is done. But drinking Bud Light is just going too far.

I thought he said he was going to get everybody together for a beer. Not beer-flavored water.

Impeach Obama!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #2718
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hell, Bud isn't even American anymore. It was bought out by Belgian/Brazilian InBev last year!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #2719
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I will be donating money to Harry Reid's opponent in 2010.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #2720
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I don't know what all you hippies are complaining about. Since Obama's picked Bud Light, I've come to realize that he's a regular joe, just like me. Now it all makes sense. I've been so foolish.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #2721
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I don't know what all you hippies are complaining about. Since Obama's picked Bud Light, I've come to realize that he's a regular joe, just like me. Now it all makes sense. I've been so foolish.

I'll send you the pony he gave me, then. It's tainted to me, now.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #2722
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Good choice. Drink Bud Light. Beer snobs are insufferable.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #2723
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If he'd picked anything else, I'm sure he would've been called "elitist".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #2724
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like how this is reported in big letters as breaking "political" news

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #2725
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But completely asshattery like Gates displayed can be.
Asshattery is still not against the law. I often wish it was, but it's not. Gates is a douchebag no doubt, but he didn't break any laws. Sometimes the best thing to do when an old crazy guy is spouting off is to laugh and walk away.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #2726
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Nope, I've actually criticized police officers multiple times in these threads, questioned (lack of) discipline decisions, and here, supported the very quick termination of one who was just completely out of control.

That's (one of) the differences between you and me. You track record is 100% criticism/hatred. There's no grey areas at all with you. You even carefully screen the information you post here to eliminate anything that might not support your hate. Perfect example here. I don't believe for a second that you didn't know the result of the link you posted. You left it out because it didn't support your crusade. It if supported it, it'd be in there.

I do though, appreciate that you've apparently taking a huge step forward and resisted the temptation, that I know you had, to say, "now, watch molson come in here and say what this cop did was OK". Apparently you draw the line on that just before racism, but after beating up women. Class act.

Listen, I just pulled a link from Drudge. I thought that link covered the story pretty well (it said he had been suspended). It wasn't meant to hide anything as the page was filled with more detailed links to the story. It was just a link I saw on Drudge and didn't go through the rest of the stories to post them.

I don't have 100% hatred toward any cops. Most of them are real good guys. I was the best man at a Wisconsin State Troopers wedding a few years back. You are the one who believes that if you criticize a cop, you must hate them all. My gripe with them is that they protect one another too much instead of rooting out the 1% of them who shits on their image. A perfect example would be this story from Miami.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...ter-Crash.html

I also have a much different history than you. My aunt was murdered by her husband and two police officers. The officers had enough pull to literally halt the investigation for many years and cover-up the murder. This was a huge story in the Chicago area many years ago and was made into multiple books and a TV movie on NBC. When you grow up with that in your life, it gives you a different perspective. You see the power they yield and what they can do if they choose to. It's why I'm so adamant about getting bad cops out and having the good ones rat on them. When the FBI had to station people outside our home because they thought the cops would do us harm, you don't grow up with the sunny image you seem to have.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #2727
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Gates is a douchebag no doubt, but he didn't break any laws.

Bullshit. He interfered with a police officer in the performance of their duties and that's a crime in every jurisdiction I've ever dealt with, it's hard to imagine that even in Cambridge that isn't the case.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #2728
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bullshit. He interfered with a police officer in the performance of their duties and that's a crime in every jurisdiction I've ever dealt with, it's hard to imagine that even in Cambridge that isn't the case.
He didn't interfere in anything according to the police report. He was arrested for yelling as the officer walked away outside after concluding his investigation. There is nothing in the report that states anything about interfering with his duties.

Where are you getting your information from?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #2729
molson
General Manager

Quote:
He was arrested for yelling as the officer walked away outside after concluding his investigation.

That's a crime, as discussed earlier, c272 S53, MA Code. One can reasonably argue that the officer could have looked the other way, or just issued a citation, or can disagree with Supreme Court precedent that any crime is arrestable, but if you yell at anyone in public, officers included, particularly if it's in this type of manner (yelling about racism), it's a crime. People are arrested ALL the time for being disorderly, usually, as in this case, after multiple warnings. Only a portion of those cases involve yelling at officers. Not every incident of disorderly conduct involves an arrest of course, but officers aren't required to arrest everyone or nobody of any crime. If you go to a Walmart tonight, or the street outside your house, and start yelling at someone, calling them racist, yelling about their 'mama, telling them they don't know who they're messing with - you'll get arrested if there's a cop nearby, and you ignore his warnings to knock it off.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #2730
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm pretty much on the page here with Molson. The cop's behavior was in bounds. Gates' not so much. Gates didn't have to be arrested for yelling at the cops and dishing out abuse, but once you cross a certain line your behavior becomes susceptible to arrest. Gates crossed that line.

For his trouble the cop at least gets to meet the President, and have a beer and a shit sandwich at the White House.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #2731
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Charges were dropped though. Obviously the DA feels a bit differently about his chances in court.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #2732
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Charges were dropped though. Obviously the DA feels a bit differently about his chances in court.

Do you really believe it had anything to do with "his chances in court"?

The DA simply took the politically correct route & proved himself to be a chickenshit that wasn't willing to accept the whining that would go along with doing his job.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #2733
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The DA simply took the politically correct route & proved himself to be a chickenshit that wasn't willing to accept the whining that would go along with doing his job.
God forbid people yell. Do you suggest we arrest everyone at a college football game? Everyone who yells at the guy who cut them off? The guy is a loudmouth blowhard. Who gives a shit? He wasn't hurting anyone and the community wasn't any safer for the arrest.

Cops and DAs should go after real criminals. Not a guy who's pissed off that cops demanded identification so he could be in his own house.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #2734
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think it had to do with both and that was why it was a no-brainer. When I was in college I got arrested for disturbing the peace and I was really actually disturbing the peace. And the DA didn't think it was worth the time or money to press charges. There's no doubt though that the threat of negative PR made the decision all the easier for the DA is this case.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #2735
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
God forbid people yell. Do you suggest we arrest everyone at a college football game? Everyone who yells at the guy who cut them off? The guy is a loudmouth blowhard. Who gives a shit? He wasn't hurting anyone and the community wasn't any safer for the arrest.

Cops and DAs should go after real criminals. Not a guy who's pissed off that cops demanded identification so he could be in his own house.

once again - they had no proof that it was his house at the time the yelling began
Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #2736
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm pretty bummed out about the Bud Light. I wish Hillary had won now.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #2737
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Most criminal charges end up getting dropped.

Yelling at a football game doesn't fall under that statute, IMO, because you're not being "disorderly", you're acting appropriately for where you are. But yes, obviously everyone who commits that crime isn't arrested, very few are. That's very common with low-level offenses. I actually believe, as I stated a few pages ago, that state legislatures need to make these disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct statutes more specific, so officers have more guidance and less discretion as to what conduct is covered. But the thing is, the legislatures (through the people), LIKE the fact that cops have so much discretion. Generally, the people want officers to use their gut instincts, their knowledge of the streets, to use their discretion in a wise way. But once there's discretion, there will ALWAYS be disagreement about how officers use it, no matter what. I think officers, in general, want to have less discretion - they'd rather the arrest decision be black and white, easy, someone else's call.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #2738
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
once again - they had no proof that it was his house at the time the yelling began
They arrested him while they were leaving and had already verified it was his place. Some of you guys need to read the arrest report.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #2739
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That doesn't mean that they weren't legitimate, just not worth pursuing.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #2740
molson
General Manager

Quote:
They arrested him while they were leaving and had already verified it was his place. Some of you guys need to read the arrest report.

This has nothing to do with what DT said.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #2741
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wow, according to a Research 2000 poll 28% of Republicans believe Obama wasn't born in the U.S. Now I understand why Congressional Republicans are so reluctant to engage the issue directly.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #2742
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I REALLY need a new party
Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #2743
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, according to a Research 2000 poll 28% of Republicans believe Obama wasn't born in the U.S. Now I understand why Congressional Republicans are so reluctant to engage the issue directly.

Wasn't the left side going after McCain being born a US-born citizen? Both parties do the same thing.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #2744
Galaxy
Coordinator

I also like the governor of Texas fighting D.C. over health care with secession.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #2745
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Wasn't the left side going after McCain being born a US-born citizen? Both parties do the same thing.
I don't think it was pushed real hard on the left. I mean the Obama birther movement has stretched to top politicians in Washington and many of the mouthpieces that fuel the party.

I'm sure the left has some odd factions inside, but the fact the birther movement has gotten so mainstream in the Republican party is pretty sad.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #2746
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I also like the governor of Texas fighting D.C. over health care with secession.
Then begging the CDC to send flu vaccines when H1N1 broke.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #2747
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

It's a little different. McCain was quite clearly born in the Panama Canal Zone and the question of whether or not he could be President was more one of legal technicalities, as summarized here: McCain’s Canal Zone Birth Prompts Queries About Whether That Rules Him Out - New York Times

Obama's birth certificate has now become a matter of record, with copies posted all over the internet and verified by countless people. The 28% of Republicans who don't think he was born in the U.S. just think he's just lying about the validity of this official document, even when it's been confirmed valid by the proper authorities.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #2748
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It's a little different. McCain was quite clearly born in the Panama Canal Zone and the question of whether or not he could be President was more one of legal technicalities, as summarized here: McCain’s Canal Zone Birth Prompts Queries About Whether That Rules Him Out - New York Times

Obama's birth certificate has now become a matter of record, with copies posted all over the internet and verified by countless people. The 28% of Republicans who don't think he was born in the U.S. just think he's just lying about the validity of this official document, even when it's been confirmed valid by the proper authorities.

The original birth certificate has never been released. If that was a case with a Republican, there'd be similar controversy.

And what's the latest numbers about how many Democrats think 9/11 was an inside job?

I looked it up, 35% of Dems think Bush knew of 9/11 ahead of time, which I think would qualify as an "inside job":

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Last edited by molson : 07-31-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #2749
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The original birth certificate has never been released. If that was a case with a Republican, there'd be similar controversy.

And what's the latest numbers about how many Democrats think 9/11 was an inside job?

I looked it up, 35% of Dems think Bush knew of 9/11 ahead of time, which I think would qualify as an "inside job":

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

While the "truthers" exist, that poll isn't a good gauge. Asking whether Bush knew in advance means a lot of things to people. Is it he knew the exact plan that would take place? Or that he simply knew there was a threat to fly planes into buildings? There were those in the CIA who felt that was a very credible threat and had briefed high level officials about that.

Asking whether 9/11 was perpetrated by the Bush administration would be a better poll.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #2750
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

This seems to me to be a great chance for us all to hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and admit that both Birthers and Truthers are fucking crazy.