Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #2701
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I believe the answer to that would be: Yes.

From the "did you know?" file

That Lopez ERA last season (4.42) in 14 starts with Colorado is lower than the ERA of the top four starters on the Phils so far this season?
Or that his OPS against (770) from last season is more than 40 points better than the Phillies team OPS this year?

Yeah, it's come to that. He actually represents an upgrade to their current staff (which I'll admit I didn't realize was as truly woeful as it is)

Yeah, the Achilles' heel of this decade's Phillies teams have been the starting rotation. This is why we reached on guys like Adam Eaton and Freddy Garcia. Cole is the only "legitimate" starter we really have, although I have high hopes for Happ.

The real reason we won last year is because we had a team built to hit on our ballpark and a solid bullpen. Also, our defense is pretty underrated, but even that has hit the shits lately.

But not even the craziest Philly fan can tell you that our starting rotation is or even was legit before the season started or even during last year's post season. Cole just pulled it together at the right time, Blanton got hot at the right time, and Myers/Moyer were just plain lucky.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #2702
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Both teams should just quit.

I still think the Marlins are going to win the division, to tell you the truth.

Florida always seems to play really well in July and August.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #2703
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
They also have the best pitching prospect in baseball in Madison Bumgarner, who's 19 years old in AA with a 1.70ERA, and Tim Alderson. The team can't produce a hitter (Kung Fu Panda notwithstanding), but they grow pitching like the Braves West.

Can't wait to see Bumgarner and Alderson.

Also glad that Schierholtz is finally getting a chance to play everyday and he seems to be making the most of it.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #2704
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Okay, so now I'm hearing the Braves might package Escobar and Vazquez in a deal. Who could we get that would make that worthwhile?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #2705
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Vazquez being included would make me think it would have to be to another contender, or with a third party involved.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #2706
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Okay, so now I'm hearing the Braves might package Escobar and Vazquez in a deal. Who could we get that would make that worthwhile?

Been reading Buster Olney have we?

Would have to be something earthshaking (to the Braves) I'd think, unless they're simply going to tank the season.

Here's a wild idea: Vazquez & Escobar to Washington for Nick Johnson & Adam Dunn, with Kotchman & Francouer going somewhere else in return for prospect that cycle through to Washington from that third team? Yeah, I'm just making shit up now.

Boston is the most likely place, but I don't see them letting Bay go (if they've theoretically given up on signing him next year) for even both of those guys no matter how much they may like Escobar. And an Ellsbury/Lugo (plus cash) package doesn't seem like enough to make it work. Only way I could figure is that Boston brings a third team into the deal to put more outfield help than they can provide.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #2707
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Meanwhile, the Braves blow a great performance from Hanson.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #2708
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I can't believe FOX is cutting away from their broadcast game to show Manny's ABs. Get suspended for PEDs? We'll show everyone your ABs! That's deterence!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #2709
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Yeah, the Achilles' heel of this decade's Phillies teams have been the starting rotation. This is why we reached on guys like Adam Eaton and Freddy Garcia. Cole is the only "legitimate" starter we really have, although I have high hopes for Happ.

The real reason we won last year is because we had a team built to hit on our ballpark and a solid bullpen. Also, our defense is pretty underrated, but even that has hit the shits lately.

But not even the craziest Philly fan can tell you that our starting rotation is or even was legit before the season started or even during last year's post season. Cole just pulled it together at the right time, Blanton got hot at the right time, and Myers/Moyer were just plain lucky.

They are certainly desperate. SI's Jon Heyman tweeted that the Phillies offered the Yankees a propect for Chien Mien Wang. The prospect wasn't good enough for the Yankees apparently. Wang was pitching well today until the 6th inning where he left the game with shoulder strain so that probably puts the end to the Wang trade rumors.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #2710
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Chisox go down good streak, time to start a new one!
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #2711
Logan
Head Coach

Did Fox really cut out of Mets-Phils to show the at bats of a guy coming off a fucking steroid suspension?

I mean, I know it was Mets-Phils, but still...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #2712
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did Fox really cut out of Mets-Phils to show the at bats of a guy coming off a fucking steroid suspension?

Lemme see here biggest name on the team with the best record in baseball vs teams that are a combined 2 games over .500 and are 7-13 between them in the last 10 games each.

Yeah, I'd have cut away too.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #2713
kingfc22
Head Coach

Lincecum has been lights out as of late. Hopefully he gets the nod to start the all-star game.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #2714
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Lemme see here biggest name on the team with the best record in baseball vs teams that are a combined 2 games over .500 and are 7-13 between them in the last 10 games each.

Yeah, I'd have cut away too.

Sorry, but the audience who would be watching the Phils-Mets game on television (Saturday afternoon @ 4:00 = mainly those who follow the team and not the casual fan) does not give two shits about Manny either which way.

This ain't the Super Bowl. The Phils-Mets game was only available in the Northeastern market and if people were really focused on what Manny was going to do, they could watch it on teh internets.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #2715
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, but the audience who would be watching the Phils-Mets game on television (Saturday afternoon @ 4:00 = mainly those who follow the team and not the casual fan) does not give two shits about Manny either which way.

I don't buy that argument at all, not even close. If the game was the northeast feed, you've got Boston in there & we both know damned well they're curious. And then there's the reality that we're talking about the most recognizable player in the game today not playing for the Yankees.

I hate to be so blunt about it (okay, not much, but still) Manny taking a dump or even trying to take a dump & failing is as of as much interest to people nationally than the Mets vs the Phils right now. Or for that matter any pairing of teams not named Yankees or Red Sox.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #2716
Logan
Head Coach

He's coming back from a suspension, not from getting shot. Nor was he hitting for some kind of record. Nothing at all made that at bat special.

You really think people were watching that game for the sole purpose of hoping that Fox would cut away to show his at bats?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #2717
kingfc22
Head Coach

Team with the second best record in the NL only gets two players into the All-Star Game.

How Sandoval doesn't get in especially when comparing his stats to Wright is questionable. Yea yea I know Wright was voted in, but still.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 07-05-2009 at 12:54 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #2718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You really think people were watching that game for the sole purpose of hoping that Fox would cut away to show his at bats?

I think those AB's are of greater general interest than the game they were showing.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #2719
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

So, Jon, the Braves are desperate for anything resembling a moderately competent OF; the Giants would love a 2b. In a swap of things that teams don't want but are better than their options, what say you on a Fred Lewis for Kelly Johnson swap?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #2720
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Lewis would only have the 4th best OPS among current Braves OF. And Kelly is on the DL anyways.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #2721
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what say you on a Fred Lewis for Kelly Johnson swap?

How about we send you Johnson & you just send over a couple of bags of batting practice balls & a half a bucket of sunflower seeds?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #2722
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but it's better than Francouer's, who's the starter (for inexplicable reasons).
Old 07-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #2723
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, but it's better than Francouer's, who's the starter (for inexplicable reasons).

Well, I'm hoping that Cox comes to his senses and puts Diaz in right.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #2724
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL... Cox coming to his senses on Francouer?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #2725
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How about we send you Johnson & you just send over a couple of bags of batting practice balls & a half a bucket of sunflower seeds?

Deal. Good talking with you. And if Cox gets sick of Escobar, we'd gladly take him.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #2726
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
LOL... Cox coming to his senses on Francouer?

LOL, well he's done it in the last couple games, not that it helped us tonight. We could only manage 1 run against a guy with a 6.56 ERA.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #2727
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And if Cox gets sick of Escobar, we'd gladly take him.

I'd rather send you Cox if Escobar gets sick of him.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #2728
samifan24
Pro Starter

All Star rosters announced for both clubs this afternoon. Biggest surprises for me were the inclusion of Curtis Granderson and Tim Wakefield for the AL. Hoping Greinke gets the starting nod for the AL.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #2729
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
All Star rosters announced for both clubs this afternoon. Biggest surprises for me were the inclusion of Curtis Granderson and Tim Wakefield for the AL. Hoping Greinke gets the starting nod for the AL.

Very disappointed to see a vet tribute All Star nod handed to an undeserving player (Wakefield) over a deserving up and comer (Weaver).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #2730
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ryan Howard was obviously going to make it because Manuel is the NL Manager, but Berkman was a more deserving 1B (actually 3 1B reserves is a bit silly).
Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #2731
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I think those AB's are of greater general interest than the game they were showing.

Except that the game was only really shown in the Philadelphia/New York markets. I feel pretty confident in saying that people who would watch that game in that time slot could care less about Manny's at-bats.

Your point would have more validity if it was a national game shown in prime-time television. There, the more general baseball fan would have as much, if not more interest, in the Manny at-bats. But that wasn't the case in yesterday's game.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 07-05-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #2732
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

And, of course, Moyer and Blanton pitch very well on the heels of Lopez's outing. Nice to get a sweep over your divisional rival after struggling.

Getting Rollins hitting again is huge. Finally, it appears he's accepted that he can't hit 30 HR a season any more and his approaching his AB a lot more intelligently. A little more "Jimmy" and little less "J-Roll", please.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #2733
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I don't buy that argument at all, not even close. If the game was the northeast feed, you've got Boston in there & we both know damned well they're curious. And then there's the reality that we're talking about the most recognizable player in the game today not playing for the Yankees.

Except that most Boston fans would not watch the Phillies/Mets games regardless. At 4:00 in the afternoon on 4th of July, they're probably using that time to barbeque or do anything than watch baseball. I certainly doubt that they would be motivated to sit through a Mets/Phillies games just for the hell of it or simply to see Manny's at-bats.

Quote:
I hate to be so blunt about it (okay, not much, but still) Manny taking a dump or even trying to take a dump & failing is as of as much interest to people nationally than the Mets vs the Phils right now. Or for that matter any pairing of teams not named Yankees or Red Sox.

Yeah, I agree. But again you're taking a national perspective instead of Logan's/My regional perspective.

Feel free to talk about every freaking Manny at-bat every three seconds on ESPN or any other nationally broadcast station/game. But don't cut into my local Phillies feed for the hell of it.

Further, it might not have been that annoying if they kept the Phils-Mets on the bigger of the split screens and kept the audio on the Phils-Mets game. I don't really need to hear commentators talk about every crotch-itch from an accused steroid user's first at-bat back, thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #2734
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm happy with the NL selection for the most part, I'm hoping Kung Fu Panda (Sandoval) gets in by vote... I also voted for Adam Lind to get in from the AL.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #2735
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think both managers did a good job for the most part, but Manuel should have picked Sandoval over Howard (then Howard probably would have gotten in by fan vote, even though I think Kemp deserves it). Maddon's AL reserves have much more positional flexibility though, and that may end up deciding it.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #2736
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm happy with the NL selection for the most part, I'm hoping Kung Fu Panda (Sandoval) gets in by vote... I also voted for Adam Lind to get in from the AL.

+1
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #2737
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Except that the game was only really shown in the Philadelphia/New York markets.

Unless they made a last second switch, you're wrong.
Here's the coverage listing by market, from Abilene to Yuma. Mets-Phils aired up and down the east coast, including major markets Atlanta, DC, and Miami and as at least as far west as Little Rock.

And no, I have no idea off hand why Bangor, ME and Butte, MT both got the Twins vs Tigers instead of either of the other two games.

Fox Sports plans were pretty clear from looking at that web page, they even promoted their coverage ahead of time FOX Sports Mannywood is back. Catch him on MLB on FOX Saturday at 4 PM ET.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #2738
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Very disappointed to see a vet tribute All Star nod handed to an undeserving player (Wakefield) over a deserving up and comer (Weaver).

ummm wakefield has 10 wins this year - he's hardly undeserving. you can make an argument for weaver (8-3 with a 3.86) over wake (10-3 with a 4.30) but wake is hardly UNDESERVING compared to weaver

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-05-2009 at 07:18 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #2739
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
ummm wakefield has 10 wins this year - he's hardly undeserving. you can make an argument for weaver (8-3 with a 3.86) over wake (10-3 with a 4.30) but wake is hardly UNDESERVING compared to weaver

Obviously, DT, in your fervor to go get the back of your guy, you didn't bother to look closely enough at Weaver's stats. Go check them again, and come back here when you're done.

It doesn't have to be Weaver. I'll bet there are 10 pitchers not currently on the team who have as good or better of an argument to be on the team than Wakefield.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #2740
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

You know, I really feel like Chone Figgins deserves to be an All Star, and was all set to see if I could make a case for him. Then I saw Lind's stats...WTH, why isn't that guy on the team? And this is coming from a guy who has Lind on his fantasy team, so not like I am completely unaware of how good he's been doing.

Figgy actually has been having a terrific season, and is in the argument for top leadoff hitter in the game, at least in "leadoff hitter" qualities (Crawford has more power, Ichiro hits for more average, etc.), but looking now, I don't see a compelling reason to put him in over Lind, except perhaps for Figgy plays a very good 3B whereas Lind doesn't really seem to bring much in the OF.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #2741
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It was also nice to see Jason Marquis make it in as well. I always liked him when he was in St. Louis.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-05-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #2742
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Obviously, DT, in your fervor to go get the back of your guy, you didn't bother to look closely enough at Weaver's stats. Go check them again, and come back here when you're done.

It doesn't have to be Weaver. I'll bet there are 10 pitchers not currently on the team who have as good or better of an argument to be on the team than Wakefield.

There are always guys who can make a case to be on the roster. I would hardly call Wakefield undeserving as mentioned above. He's having a really good season.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #2743
larrymcg421
Head Coach

2009 ERA+

Weaver: 144
Wakefield: 108

Old 07-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #2744
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
except perhaps for Figgy plays a very good 3B whereas Lind doesn't really seem to bring much in the OF.

I don't follow the AL as close as the NL, but I agree with you. I was shocked to see what a year Lind is quietly having.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #2745
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
There are always guys who can make a case to be on the roster. I would hardly call Wakefield undeserving as mentioned above. He's having a really good season.

there's always plenty of guys who you can argue should have made it over other guys...it's a popularity contest, plain and simple
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #2746
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Umm, are you seriously citing wins as a barometer of success? Wakefield belongs on the All-Star team in fantasy land; there are 15-20 SP in the AL alone who have been better than him. Weaver may not be my choice (I'd go with Cliff Lee), but you're dreaming if you think Wake is anything other than an absurd choice.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #2747
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wakefield is actually 24th in the AL in ERA+. He basically gets to be an all-star because he was lucky enough to be on a good team, and nothing more.

I have nothing against Wakefield (he's actually from my hometown) or the Sox, but to say he's deserving of an All Star spot is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 07-05-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #2748
Jas_lov
College Starter

Millwood would have been a better option than Wakefield. I can't believe he's using wins to justify Wakefield.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #2749
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Unless they made a last second switch, you're wrong.
Here's the coverage listing by market, from Abilene to Yuma. Mets-Phils aired up and down the east coast, including major markets Atlanta, DC, and Miami and as at least as far west as Little Rock.

And no, I have no idea off hand why Bangor, ME and Butte, MT both got the Twins vs Tigers instead of either of the other two games.

Fox Sports plans were pretty clear from looking at that web page, they even promoted their coverage ahead of time FOX Sports Mannywood is back. Catch him on MLB on FOX Saturday at 4 PM ET.

Again, this is why the word "really" was placed before shown in the above quote. Sure it shown in Atlanta, DC, and Miami, but do you really think a significant number of viewers in those areas were even planning to watch any baseball that day?

I understand your point about Manny being the bigger story and agree. However, it's more my frustration with national pre-emptive rights to local markets on the weekends. I want the ability/choice to watch every single Phillies game on Comcast SportsNet if that's what I desire. If I want to watch the Phils on the weekend, I unfortunately have to check in with my Fox affiliate.

I know the reasons why, but it won't prevent my bitching.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #2750
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh, it's good to see a guy like Wakefield who's been through a lot finally get an all star birth. You're talking about a guy who was nothing as a minor league hitter, converts to knuckleballer. Then has an amazing first year, and is cut by the end of his second. Is out of baseball for a year, then rebounds with Boston and is still pitching at 42. So, it's a good story, even if Wakefield is not technically deserving. He probably should have made it some time before in his career. Call it the "scent of a woman" birth.

Last edited by stevew : 07-05-2009 at 08:00 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote