Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2024, 08:45 PM   #27401
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My oldest (8) ran his fastest 5k ever yesterday in the colts 5k and then spent 2 hours playing around on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium. Have pictures of him at the 50 yard line and in the end zone as well as videos of him running a 40 yard dash and jumping across the goal line. Capped it off by attending the Colts-Cards game last night.

My son would also like it to be known that he beat a kid at the stadium 22-6 in Madden and the kid rage quit in the 4th quarter. He would add that the kid was older than him and that the kids sister added, “come on you play this game every day.” ����

My son also plays the damn game everyday.

Last edited by dubb93 : 08-18-2024 at 08:46 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 09:14 PM   #27402
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was at Wawa yesterday, yes the greatest deli of all time, and there was someone buying a pack of Marlboro reds. I have never smoked and never purchased cigarettes so I was shocked when I saw they were $12/pack. That is insane.

If someone is 2 pack a day thats almost $700 a month!

I would love a Venn diagram of people who smoke 2 packs a day that also complain about the economy and food prices.
I didn't see this earlier but cigarette prices in Australia are even crazier. Our federal government instituted taxes/excises on tobacco (and alcohol) decades ago as a way to discourage use with the intention of using the funds to treat all of the illnesses of the smokers - but I'm sure most of it goes into general funds.

I had to look it up but a similar Marlboro reds pack sells for AU$66 which is US$44. My brother is a smoker and he knows that "smoking is bad" and he spends too much on them but he is addicted and can't help but keep doing it. He often buys the cheaper illegal imported ones that aren't regulated and probably worse for his health.

For alcohol, a bottle of Johnny Walker Red (700ml or 23.7 oz) is AU$46 or about US$30.

Average Australian income is around AU$91,000 or US$60,000.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:02 PM   #27403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I was actually {gasp} productive today ... getting 3 different to-dos scheduled over the next 4 days.

(the scheduling of those things WAS the hurdle to accomplishing them, so it counts, bigly even)

Yay me, cause productivity is a scarce commodity around me lately.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:44 PM   #27404
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Had some of the worst pain I’ve ever had the last two days so bad it’s been making me vomit. Finally went to the doctor today and after some imaging it’s acute diverticulitis. You would think they would atleast give me something for pain but instead said call us on Monday if the antibiotics (pleural here) don’t make it feel better.

Thanks doc. I guess I’ll just deal with this hurting so bad I vomit until these antibiotics have time work. Five days seems reasonable.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:48 PM   #27405
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Had some of the worst pain I’ve ever had the last two days so bad it’s been making me vomit. Finally went to the doctor today and after some imaging it’s acute diverticulitis. You would think they would atleast give me something for pain but instead said call us on Monday if the antibiotics (pleural here) don’t make it feel better.

Thanks doc. I guess I’ll just deal with this hurting so bad I vomit until these antibiotics have time work. Five days seems reasonable.

That's crazy. The fact they sent you home is crazy. Everyone I know that has dealt with that ended up in the hospital on IV's.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:53 PM   #27406
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That's crazy. The fact they sent you home is crazy. Everyone I know that has dealt with that ended up in the hospital on IV's.

I didn’t meet insurance criteria for admission because my WBCs, which according to my patient portal have ran 4.8-5.4 every time
I’ve been drawn for the last 5 years, was only 9.6. Has to be over 10.0.

Last edited by dubb93 : 08-21-2024 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:56 PM   #27407
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone ever considered the expression “kept your seat warm” is kind of gross?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 03:16 PM   #27408
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Probably not the best look for Fubo to increase their prices right after they get a ruling to block the new Venu sports app from going in to place.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:29 PM   #27409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I seriously considered Fubo when we dumped DTV and eventually switched to YTTV, but a service that touts itself as the live streaming service for sports fans and it doesn't have TBS/TNT... uh, no, you are not.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 03:47 PM   #27410
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I seriously considered Fubo when we dumped DTV and eventually switched to YTTV, but a service that touts itself as the live streaming service for sports fans and it doesn't have TBS/TNT... uh, no, you are not.

That and none of the packages include RSNs. Even if you pay for the package ($15 a month on top of your package) the selection of RSNs available is pretty limited.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:26 PM   #27411
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I have officially passed over into decrepitude.

I bought a 3D camera and a selfie stick a few months ago and hardly touched it after the initial setup. Now I cannot find the selfie stick for the life of me. I live on my own in a one-bedroom apartment so I can't blame anybody else for moving it on me.

I have turned over the most obvious places I could have put it (several times) and I now give up. I am losing it - or have already lost it.
Ha! I found it. Two years later.

I was looking for something else at work and started turning over some junk in my office cupboard and there it was.

Last edited by 21C : 08-22-2024 at 09:27 PM.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 09:21 AM   #27412
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I was looking for something else at work and started turning over some junk in my office cupboard and there it was.

I would have barely registered that I saw it, then like a month later I'd think "I know I saw that somewhere, but where was that?"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 09:51 AM   #27413
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Watched Goodfellas last weekend, and the end of Layla has been playing in my head all week.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 12:14 PM   #27414
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Food trucks should, by law, have to have a timer on the outside, letting you know the average wait between making your order and picking up your food.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 12:25 AM   #27415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Food trucks should, by law, have to have a timer on the outside, letting you know the average wait between making your order and picking up your food.

You ain't wrong.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:35 AM   #27416
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let's make it for any line. Grocery stores, fast food drive-thru, roller coasters, etc.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 04:04 AM   #27417
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

How did the 3D camera work out?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 11:44 AM   #27418
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I ordered a toilet paper holder (just the tube thingy that actually goes inside the roll) from Amazon for less than $2. It apparently shipped all the way China to my humble place in Ohio.

Now I am currently worried that China is listening to me poop or is tracking my toilet paper usage.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-25-2024 at 01:10 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #27419
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I ordered a toilet holder (just the tube thingy that actually goes inside the roll) from Amazon for less than $2. It apparently shipped all the way China to my humble place in Ohio.

Now I am currently worried that China is listening to me poop or is tracking my toilet paper usage.

I would spend a few days using it like a microphone just to be sure.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:44 PM   #27420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would spend a few days using it like a microphone just to be sure.

"Hey good lookin', we'll be back to pick you up later"
Old 08-25-2024, 01:24 PM   #27421
Ksyrup

Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-25-2024, 01:57 PM   #27422
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"Hey good lookin', we'll be back to pick you up later"

HAHAHAHA OMG callback to a saturday morning commercial!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 03:03 PM   #27423
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 08-25-2024, 07:36 PM   #27424
Ksyrup

I don't fall down too many rabbitholes these days on the internet, but that's the beauty of the internet - it can happen at any time.

Today I learned about Bum Farto. Yes, that's his real name. Let your dad jokes rip. Anyway, Bum was a flamboyant fire chief who grew up and lived in Key West. His lifestyle borders on ridiculous. He wore red suits, had a red walled and carpeted house, had a lime green car with El Jefe written on the side ... and he was convicted of selling cocaine and marijuana out of the firehouse in 1976. He apparently disappeared before he could be sentenced and no one knows where he went.

And if that's not enough - his family owned a restaurant called Victoria that they were forced to sell due to the Great Depression. They sold it to Ernest Hemingway's fishing buddy, Josie Russell, who turned it into Sloppy Joe's.

I searched and couldn't find one, so I have to ask - how is this guy's life and disappearance not a Netflix documentary?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2024 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:47 PM   #27425
StLee
High School Varsity

With the name Bum Farto, I would think he was a freeloading, flatulent, flamboyant fire chief.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 08:01 PM   #27426
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bum Farto sounds like a Trump administration executive
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 08:34 PM   #27427
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Dick Trickle
Old 08-25-2024, 08:46 PM   #27428
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
How did the 3D camera work out?
Best camera ever. It was an Insta360 X2 - I think the latest one is an X4. You don't have to worry about framing your shots because you record everything around you. The only problem is that it is a bear to edit. I still have a lot of footage that I want to edit from my Israel trip but that is more of a procrastination "me" problem.
Old 08-25-2024, 09:07 PM   #27429
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
The funniest thing I saw on the news was a piece on breakdancing at the Olympics where they interviewed and displayed the "talents" of the worst breakdancers I have ever seen. They reminded me of main characters on TV sitcoms who are obviously bad at breakdancing but try to do it anyway.
I was trying to locate another post in this thread but came across this pearl from December 2020. I tried to track down the original video but didn't have any luck.
Old 08-26-2024, 03:41 AM   #27430
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Watched Goodfellas last weekend, and the end of Layla has been playing in my head all week.

That frozen guy with the bushy eyebrows
Old 08-26-2024, 10:02 AM   #27431
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I posted a rant a couple of months ago about an email I got from my boss's boss. It took a longer than it should, but I started to look for a new job because it's become clear they're trying to push me out. The VP got canned. Then my supervisor got demoted. Now they've been making my life hell for the last month with vague criticisms and now I'm essentially getting demoted with pay.

I've been looking hard for the past 3 weeks and I've been in a dark place. It's not good for your mental health to have people shit on you for doing your job the way you were told but also not giving instructions on how to do what they want, only being told your doing it wrong. Add in that the only responses I got to my resume were this position has been filled.

This morning I got 3 interview requests, and it just feels good to have people actually want you around and not have the dread that you're going to be shit canned and miserable the rest of your life.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 10:59 AM   #27432
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Glad you got some good responses. The tech job market is absolutely brutal right now, I got restless at my job because they never have enough work for me (could be worse) and went looking for a little bit, and immediately gave up & thanked God for my current job, when I got a taste of the current environment.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 01:32 PM   #27433
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Came across this story and am fascinated. We need a documentary on it.

What Were the Oakville Blobs and What Caused Them? - Discovery UK
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 01:38 PM   #27434
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Glad you got some good responses. The tech job market is absolutely brutal right now, I got restless at my job because they never have enough work for me (could be worse) and went looking for a little bit, and immediately gave up & thanked God for my current job, when I got a taste of the current environment.
No kidding. My son has gotten zero interest. He had one interview set up that sounded really promising, but then the guy no-showed him and ghosted.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:56 PM   #27435
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
No kidding. My son has gotten zero interest. He had one interview set up that sounded really promising, but then the guy no-showed him and ghosted.

Weak. I have a big gap on my resume, so I'm pretty sure I'm just getting tossed by the algorithm and no human has even seen my resume. Word on the street is that recruiters/companies get so many resumes that they just arbitrarily toss out 90% before they even start considering folks.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 02:21 PM   #27436
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

For a few days I thought you guys were talking about my doctor when you brought up Bum Farto but I went back today and I think we got some things sorted out. Hopefully back to work next week.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:24 PM   #27437
Ksyrup

Did he dress in red, or offer you some cocaine? Maybe we've found him, at the ripe old age of 105!
Old 08-26-2024, 02:25 PM   #27438
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Weak. I have a big gap on my resume, so I'm pretty sure I'm just getting tossed by the algorithm and no human has even seen my resume. Word on the street is that recruiters/companies get so many resumes that they just arbitrarily toss out 90% before they even start considering folks.

I work federal and we have an automated system that weeds resumes out for our first pass. It then goes to an HR person that takes what's leftover and cuts that down to 5-10 resumes before it gets to me.

Now federal resume writing is different but the number of bad resumes I see even after those 2 passes is crazy. I can't imagine what the HR person sees. That's probably why I've seen data that suggests most resumes aren't read more than 10-15 seconds by recruiters.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 06:06 AM   #27439
miami_fan
Coordinator

Random thought of the morning.

I was aware of Elon's obsession with this. Then I saw a couple of documentaries that seem to suggest a certain cult like following for this type of pronatalism. This morning, I read about the founder of Telegram who was arrested in Paris supposedly has fathered more than 100 kids.

Is the pursuit of fathering hundreds of children through sperm banks a trend now?

Good morning.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 06:23 AM   #27440
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Random thought of the morning.

I was aware of Elon's obsession with this. Then I saw a couple of documentaries that seem to suggest a certain cult like following for this type of pronatalism. This morning, I read about the founder of Telegram who was arrested in Paris supposedly has fathered more than 100 kids.

Is the pursuit of fathering hundreds of children through sperm banks a trend now?

Good morning.

It is. There are groups that these guys share their secrets to get their sperm in as many banks as possible. There is a girl on Tik Tok that talks about this and the way the fertility industry lies and covers up for them.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:27 AM   #27441
Edward64
Head Coach

I think Musk is by the natural way (?) and Durov is by sperm bank. I like Musk's way better.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 08:24 AM   #27442
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

As an example of why I'm trying to leave my job. Even though I'm being shifted departments, they still have me doing my soon to be old job. No timetable on the shift.

The owner asked me to revise a document, didn't provide any instructions, just they needed language inserted. I made the changes and highlighted and tracked them. Sent it over an an email.

Response: where is it?

I don't even know how to respond to it. I checked and the document is attached, the version attached shows the highlights and the tracking changes. WTF more am I supposed to do?
Old 08-27-2024, 09:06 AM   #27443
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I work federal and we have an automated system that weeds resumes out for our first pass. It then goes to an HR person that takes what's leftover and cuts that down to 5-10 resumes before it gets to me.

Now federal resume writing is different but the number of bad resumes I see even after those 2 passes is crazy. I can't imagine what the HR person sees. That's probably why I've seen data that suggests most resumes aren't read more than 10-15 seconds by recruiters.

I get an email or two every week from a recruiter asking me to come back to HVAC controls and move to just about everywhere in the US. It's never going to happen if I have anything to do with it. I'm super happy where I'm at right now.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:36 AM   #27444
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I like how I can get microsoft's AI to talk to me about the differences between white and black basketball players but it won't touch hard hitting questions like "what moves by ron desantis does disney disagree with to cause them to file suit." based on the grounds that it won't talk political.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:54 AM   #27445
GrantDawg

Heck, I just saw a transcript of guy not being able to get AI to recognize there are 3 "r"s in "Strawberry." It is amazing the things it can do, and the silly simple things it can't.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:55 AM   #27446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like how I can get microsoft's AI to talk to me about the differences between white and black basketball players but it won't touch hard hitting questions like "what moves by ron desantis does disney disagree with to cause them to file suit." based on the grounds that it won't talk political.

Not ever really messing with AI on that sort of stuff, I would have ignorantly figured the workaround would be asking it from a news reporting approach (like "why did Disney file suit about DeSantis")
Old 08-27-2024, 12:19 PM   #27447
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What's the difference between white and black basketball players? How about asian?
Old 08-27-2024, 12:27 PM   #27448
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Does it know how babby formed?
Old 08-27-2024, 12:30 PM   #27449
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What's the difference between white and black basketball players? How about asian?

I’m summarizing here: It says white players focus more on team ball whereas black players focus more on one on one (it cites Phil Jackson here) then it says that studies show that black athletes have psychological traits that give them an edge in speed and agility before it touches on representation in the NBA. Important to note these aren’t my words I’m summarizing copilot and it steered the conversation here from me asking about Luka’s background.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:31 PM   #27450
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’m also dealing with a illness so I have nothing better to do.