Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #2651
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Now we'll have to listen to more Italian bellyaching about ref bias.

This PK should keep them quiet for at least a few WC's.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #2652
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, I've never seen such an obvious dive in my life. This WC is truly a freaking joke. Completely pathetic gimme for the italliens, they ought to be sanctioned as a team for the bullshit they pull on the pitch.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #2653
MrBug708
Head Coach

Poor Poor Australia. TO be hosed on a call like that
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #2654
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Was that a good call?
Meh. Could have went either way...but if I were ref, I wouldn't have called it. Not given the situation.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #2655
chinaski
College Prospect

horrible call! But my boys move on!! woohooo! va l'Italia!!!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #2656
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Meh. Could have went either way...but if I were ref, I wouldn't have called it. Not given the situation.

If the Aussies were playing anyone other than Italy? No, it never gets called. but Behold the mighty italien national DIVING team, they win in or out of the water.....

Just watch the replay...see? NO SPLASH.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #2657
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nice dive you Italian piece of shit.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #2658
Critch
lolzcat

I thought it was a good call. Lucas Neill slid in too early, then hindered the player.

Glad it was Lucas Neill, he's a thug so it serves him right, his tackle on Carragher a few years ago was a shocker, hate players who go out to intentionally injure opponents.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #2659
MrBug708
Head Coach

That call was the equivalent of calling a foul on a half court heave with no time left
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #2660
Celeval
Pro Starter

Meh... I dunno. The defender slid in and missed the ball (looked like, at least).. was it an obvious call, no, but it was reasonable. Similar to drawing foul in basketball - it was a foul, I think, but the selling of it didn't hurt, and it was definately created by the Italian.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #2661
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Meh... I dunno. The defender slid in and missed the ball (looked like, at least).. was it an obvious call, no, but it was reasonable. Similar to drawing foul in basketball - it was a foul, I think, but the selling of it didn't hurt, and it was definately created by the Italian.

He missed the initial slide and when the Italian player jump he just turned it into a gymnastic route by tumbling
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #2662
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I thought it was a good call. Lucas Neill slid in too early, then hindered the player.

Glad it was Lucas Neill, he's a thug so it serves him right, his tackle on Carragher a few years ago was a shocker, hate players who go out to intentionally injure opponents.

Oh come on. Neill has been a rock this WC. There is no way he fouled that player. Watch the damn replay.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #2663
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looking at the replay, I don't think the call was on the slide, I think he got the foul when his feet got clipped trying to jump over him.

As a defender, since he didn't have any support behind him, the defender never should have slid in.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #2664
Groundhog
Coordinator

Man, I'm going to bed. I can't believe this.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #2665
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Looking at the replay, I don't think the call was on the slide, I think he got the foul when his feet got clipped trying to jump over him.
Yeah...the Aussie went on the ground and impeded his progress. Poor decision to slide and get into that position.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #2666
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think the call should never be made. In that situation, do not make the call.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #2667
oykib
College Starter

The Italian player intentionally tripped over him. He had already slid past his normal route.

It was a reasonable call. But I don't think, as a sport, you want to encourage acting-- even if it's good acting.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #2668
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Oh come on. Neill has been a rock this WC. There is no way he fouled that player. Watch the damn replay.

I did watch the replay, he slid then used his body to hinder Grosso. It's a penalty.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #2669
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Looking at the replay, it looks like the Italian player could have missed the tackle. He was turning the ball and his feet as the Australian defender was sliding in.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #2670
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I did watch the replay, he slid then used his body to hinder Grosso. It's a penalty.

WHen he fell over Lucas, Lucas already had the position. You cant penalize a player for th eposition they have

Bad Bad call. Worst call all WC IMO
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #2671
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Looking at the replay, it looks like the Italian player could have missed the tackle. He was turning the ball and his feet as the Australian defender was sliding in.

Yes, he could have. The Australian attacked the ball; not the player. The Italian player ran in to him. We were ripped off after playing such a great, dominating game.

This is bullshit. I'm going to bed for real.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #2672
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually, watching the replay from 3 differnet angels, the defender slid, missed the ball and actually MISSED the player, his back was to the italien and he rolled the way he slid, so he couldn't hinder him, he had no idea where he was.

The Italien saw the slide, saw he had lost control of the ball and took a header to try and get a freebie, which he did, TERRIBLE officiating.

The entire Italien team needs to be nutsacked for their play thus far. its offensive to watch them continue to be given breaks simply because they're the Italien team. make them earn a win for a change.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-26-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #2673
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well I think it is a heart-breaker for Australia, but I agree it looked like a penalty to me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #2674
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
This PK should keep them quiet for at least a few WC's.

Unless something happens in their next game.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #2675
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Italian luck and diving rules the day again.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #2676
RendeR
Coordinator

If I deign to watch the next match for the Italilens I'm simply going to post:

NO SPLASH

each time they try this shit. I bet my post count catches 4K faster than I got the first 3K.....
Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #2677
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As a defender, since he didn't have any support behind him, the defender never should have slid in.

That is my problem with it. When I see he replay I don't see him even attempt to jump over, he just falls flat. He made no attempt to pick up his feet.

In the end though, the Aussie's should have scored. They should have put more pressure up front up a man, IMO.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #2678
cartman
Death Herald

Outside the penalty box, that would probably not be called a foul that often. If it happens in a one-on-one situation in the penalty box, it'll be called 95 times out of 100.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #2679
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I still don't like the damn Italians.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #2680
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

How in the space of one day do we go from berating the Portugese and Dutch for diving to O'Brien and Balboa praising the Italian for "selling a call"? The sport has to get rid of this culture of cheating (at least it seems this kind of garbage isn't tolerated in England). For O'Brien and Balboa put any positive spin on this acting does nothing for the game. This kind of selling of calls is what youth players are supposed to aspire to?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #2681
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So... pissed...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #2682
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Actually, watching the replay from 3 differnet angels, the defender slid, missed the ball and actually MISSED the player, his back was to the italien and he rolled the way he slid, so he couldn't hinder him, he had no idea where he was.

The Italien saw the slide, saw he had lost control of the ball and took a header to try and get a freebie, which he did, TERRIBLE officiating.

The entire Italien team needs to be nutsacked for their play thus far. its offensive to watch them continue to be given breaks simply because they're the Italien team. make them earn a win for a change.

Here is the thing. You saw the replay from 3 different angles, but the ref does not have such luxury. The problem is that at full speed, it isn't so easy to see that a player just missed the tackle. It is why diving is so effective, because at full speed it is hard to see whether it is a small tap or a hard smack.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #2683
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Here is the thing. You saw the replay from 3 different angles, but the ref does not have such luxury. The problem is that at full speed, it isn't so easy to see that a player just missed the tackle. It is why diving is so effective, because at full speed it is hard to see whether it is a small tap or a hard smack.

"". Grosso didn't go down on the first tackle (which was also in the box), but on the second, it certainly looked at full speed like Neill's arm had impeded him (and he did stick it out). It was a 50-50 call, and the ref didn't have the time for a long, drawn ought thought.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #2684
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
This kind of selling of calls is what youth players are supposed to aspire to?

If they want to win at this level? Yeah, I'd say that's almost a must-have skill.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #2685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For those who think this was at least an okay call, ask yourself one question:
If it were reversed, and it was an Aussie going down from a challenge by an Italian defender, do you really believe the call would have been the same?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #2686
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
If it were reversed, and it was an Aussie going down from a challenge by an Italian defender, do you really believe the call would have been the same?

At full speed ? Yeah, I think it would have. The Italians don't exactly have the most influence in FIFA these days, with the scandal about match-fixing in the domestic league, and with the fact that the FIFA committee has lost some of them. In fact, the Italians are probably more disliked if anything Jon - even by many of the powers that be.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #2687
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Fyi,
for US fans: Klinsmann says he has no interest in the job. Too bad.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #2688
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes, of course I think the call would have been the same. I think it was a penalty.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #2689
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Fyi,
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Ah, I read it as .... don't bother me with that, I have only one focus right now ... winning this WC.

But he doesn't necessarily close the door on coming to the US. Having said that, if Germany wins it all he may not be looking for a new job.

Edit - I should add he is also friends w/ Bruce, so he likely won't come out and politic for the job if Bruce is still in place.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-26-2006 at 01:14 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #2690
Icy
Pro Starter

Do you see now why did i say a few pages ago in this thread that i hate Italy? They always win the same way, too bad this time the referee was from Spain. (sorry Emiliano buddy, but i really hate your country soccer team )

Last edited by Icy : 06-26-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #2691
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Do you see now why did i say a few pages ago in this thread that i hate Italy? They always win the same way. (sorry Emiliano buddy, but i really hate your country soccer team )

Oh make no mistake - I'm rooting for the Spanish, the Argentinians, and so forth because they play good football- I was rooting vehemently against the Italians because I hate cattenaccio and everything Italian football is today.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #2692
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

Yes, it would have. You can't really claim that the referee was favoring the Italians, he'd already given Australia a man advantage for 40 minutes thanks to a very very soft straight red card.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #2693
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Fyi,

He wouldn't say anything else, the German press already hates him enough without him saying he'd like to be the US manager in the middle of the tournament.

He's always said that he enjoyed living in the US because he could get on with his life without people recognizing him. Would he take the US national team job since that would spoil part of his low profile over here?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #2694
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Ah, I read it as .... don't bother me with that, I have only one focus right now ... winning this WC.

But he doesn't necessarily close the door on coming to the US. Having said that, if Germany wins it all he may not be looking for a new job.

Edit - I should add he is also friends w/ Bruce, so he likely won't come out and politic for the job if Bruce is still in place.

Yeap...He doens't want to turn the attention away from the WC.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #2695
Zone
n00b

Not sure if it was a penalty, but I don't think Australia was robbed of the game.
The referee messed up a perfectly entertaining game when he gave the Italian player a questionable red card.
Even if the penalty is not called the game is still 0-0. Australia hadn't won anything, but most people are acting as if the Australians would have won. They had the man advantage for about 45mins in the second half and could not score, hell the Italians out shot them 7-4 for the game. The Aussies only have themselves to blame, they couldn’t score with a man up period. Italy played its typical tough defense and stayed in the game. The Aussie really didn't do anything in the second half to warrant a victory. Sure they outplayed the Italians in the second half but they are supposed to with an 11-10 advantage. The Aussie should have put Italy away, not let them hang around 0-0.
Tough break for the Aussies.
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #2696
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
He wouldn't say anything else, the German press already hates him enough without him saying he'd like to be the US manager in the middle of the tournament.

He's always said that he enjoyed living in the US because he could get on with his life without people recognizing him. Would he take the US national team job since that would spoil part of his low profile over here?

I thought he lives he mainly due to his wife, an American? I think his profile would raise, but he would never be under the microscope like they are in Europe. US coaches of our regular sport teams aren't as bad as they are in Europe.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #2697
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone
Not sure if it was a penalty, but I don't think Australia was robbed of the game.
The referee messed up a perfectly entertaining game when he gave the Italian player a questionable red card.
Even if the penalty is not called the game is still 0-0. Australia hadn't won anything, but most people are acting as if the Australians would have won. They had the man advantage for about 45mins in the second half and could not score, hell the Italians out shot them 7-4 for the game. The Aussies only have themselves to blame, they couldn’t score with a man up period. Italy played its typical tough defense and stayed in the game. The Aussie really didn't do anything in the second half to warrant a victory. Sure they outplayed the Italians in the second half but they are supposed to with an 11-10 advantage. The Aussie should have put Italy away, not let them hang around 0-0.
Tough break for the Aussies.

Still doesn't make it right. Let the players win it, not the refs. The main advantage Australia had going into the Extra Time was the avaliablity of two subs, and just used the first one around the 75 to 80 minute mark.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #2698
Huckleberry
College Starter

Didn't see it. So the Aussie slid in and then the Italian ran into him after the slide tackle attempt was complete?

Sounds like a foul on the Italian for kicking the Aussie. Then a yellow for diving.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #2699
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Still doesn't make it right. Let the players win it, not the refs. The main advantage Australia had going into the Extra Time was the avaliablity of two subs, and just used the first one around the 75 to 80 minute mark.

I didn't get that. I couldn't actually WATCH the game, but I followed it on FIFA's website. Why would Australia be saving subs? I would think they'd want to play for the win in regulation time...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #2700
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I didn't get that. I couldn't actually WATCH the game, but I followed it on FIFA's website. Why would Australia be saving subs? I would think they'd want to play for the win in regulation time...

That's something I didn't get either. But it would have look like a genius move in ET if Australia used them, and then won. Maybe they were trying to use the 11-10 advantage until they needed the subs at the last minute?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-26-2006 at 01:37 PM.