Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #2601
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A vast majority of the cards came during the mid 2nd half. He should have clamped down on them in the first half as they were just starting to get chippy.

And how many cards did he give 'early on'? Only 4 out of the 16 were in the 1st half.

Btw, it isn't just the commentators:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section...rldcup&cc=5901

HEADLINE: Russian ref loses it
Old 06-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #2602
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

see Sepp Blatter's reaction

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...372559&cc=5901
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #2603
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was selected in this squad eclusively so we could play this tactic in the last 10 mins of a game where we would be trailing by a goal or less. Before the tournament everybody in the country was all over this amazing choice of him over Roy Makaay (Bayern Munchen stud) and Klaas Jan Huntelaar (who scored 50 goals in competitive games in 2005/2006).

My honest opinion: that's not how we should play, and I know Makaay, Huntelaar and Van Nistelrooij all can play that role too.

If they want to fire him, I think a job may be opening up in the US. It would make his choice easy. You have Johnson and, well Johnson.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #2604
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
A vast majority of the cards came during the mid 2nd half. He should have clamped down on them in the first half as they were just starting to get chippy.

And how many cards did he give 'early on'? Only 4 out of the 16 were in the 1st half.

Btw, it isn't just the commentators:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section...rldcup&cc=5901

HEADLINE: Russian ref loses it

5 cards, one of them red in the first half. What? You wanted more cards than that? 2 in the first 8 minutes, and 4 in the first 30 minutes. Look, I thought he reffed poorly, but the way other games have been reffed, I'm sure we would have seen almost as many cards as that from some other refs. I just frankly don't see how you can say he didn't clamp down on the chippy stuff and let it get out of hand. It's the new FIFA directive that's out of hand. Blatter's a moron anyways. The guy actually says the U.S. game was well officiated but this one not. Whatever.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #2605
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Compared to this game, the US-Italy game probably was well officiated. This one was just horrid.

When you see the amount of cards in the second half and all the shoving and fighting going on, there is no other conclusion that the ref lost control. Portugal and the Netherlands didn't play anything close to this in previous games.

Especially when there really weren't that many total fouls in the game. When about half of your foul calls are cards then you are doing something wrong.

And when all around (Soccernet, BBC, etc.) people are saying the ref blew it, I think there may be something to that.

I do think, however, that if Boulahrouz got a straight red (which he probably should have), you wouldn't have seen the mess that came afterwards.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-25-2006 at 09:23 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:14 PM   #2606
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
5 cards, one of them red in the first half. What? You wanted more cards than that? 2 in the first 8 minutes, and 4 in the first 30 minutes. Look, I thought he reffed poorly, but the way other games have been reffed, I'm sure we would have seen almost as many cards as that from some other refs. I just frankly don't see how you can say he didn't clamp down on the chippy stuff and let it get out of hand. It's the new FIFA directive that's out of hand. Blatter's a moron anyways. The guy actually says the U.S. game was well officiated but this one not. Whatever.

I thought there were fewer dubious decisions (Maniche yellow, for ex.) than in most of the other games. The players basically lost their heads - what's the ref supposed to do? He could have given more cards - remember the studs to the shoulder of Robben in the box? That could have been a penaly too. What about Figo's head butt. Yeah, not like it really would hurt anyone, but 90% of the time, that's a straight red. Costinha also got an extra chance when on yellow.
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #2607
chinaski
College Prospect

this thread needs this... the goalie kick save around 1:40 is amazing

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #2608
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I think the ref lost this one in the first two minutes of the game when he gave a yellow card to a Dutch player (Van Bommel I think). That let the players know that he wasn't going to tolerate anything, which in turn led to more attempts at drawing yellow cards (more diving), which in turn led to more complaining and frustration from both teams. That frustration escalated to dirty play from two irritated squads. I just can't see how a ref can be so reactionary so early in a match unless it is an unarguable yellow.

I was sad to see the Dutch go out, but the way they played the last 10 minutes just didn't seem like the Dutch teams I have grown to love from the '98 World Cup and the 6-1 demolition job against Yugoslavia at Euro 2000.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #2609
MJ4H
Coordinator

The infamous scorpion save. Truly a beaut.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #2610
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
I think the ref lost this one in the first two minutes of the game when he gave a yellow card to a Dutch player (Van Bommel I think). That let the players know that he wasn't going to tolerate anything, which in turn led to more attempts at drawing yellow cards (more diving), which in turn led to more complaining and frustration from both teams. That frustration escalated to dirty play from two irritated squads. I just can't see how a ref can be so reactionary so early in a match unless it is an unarguable yellow.

Van Bommel's was an unarguable yellow, it was a bad, cynical tackle. Ronaldo had beat him and was running away from him, so he slid into the back of his heels without coming anywhere near the ball.

At halftime I thought the ref had done pretty well, he'd been less card happy than some of the others so far. Van Bommel and Boulahrouz both deserved their yellows, Costinha deserved both of his, wasn't sure about Maniche's. It wasn't til the 2nd half where the game slipped away from the ref, and I'd put most of the blame for that on the players, not the ref.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #2611
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
I think the ref lost this one in the first two minutes of the game when he gave a yellow card to a Dutch player (Van Bommel I think). That let the players know that he wasn't going to tolerate anything, which in turn led to more attempts at drawing yellow cards (more diving),

This makes no sense. He lost control of a chippy game because he GAVE a yellow card early on? What? It's when you don't give cards and then guys starting kicking shins, ankles, throwing elbows, because they no they're not going to get a card. By showing it early, the ref was signalling the players that they were not going to get away with anything. Then the players just got stupid after that.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 06-25-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #2612
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Van Bommel's was an unarguable yellow, it was a bad, cynical tackle. Ronaldo had beat him and was running away from him, so he slid into the back of his heels without coming anywhere near the ball.

I think that's one reason why the card to foul ratio was high - intentional (ie. professional) fouls are supposed to receive cards - and I saw a lot of them in this game.

Combine that with two teams that like to dive/act, and this is what you get. I think the Dutch did more diving/acting today, perhaps because they were down and attacking most of the game. And for the record, I wanted the Dutch to win. They're third on my cheering list, after the U.S. and England.

I think the reffing has been terrible in the tournament and most games didn't warrant more than about 3 cards. This game was played very cynically, and having someone like Blatter make comments about the ref, when refs have made a hash of easier games, is too much, in my view. (And that was probably too many commas for one sentence!).
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #2613
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
this thread needs this... the goalie kick save around 1:40 is amazing

He plays in Mexico and is known for doing that. He's not Mexican though, but like Honduran? Or something like that?

The most amazing goal is the one around 112, the angle is nearly impossible. Who kicked that?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #2614
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

That's Hegita(sp). Columbian. He's retired. He was also famous for playing as a sweeper out to about 40-50 yards even when he was keeper. Then in the '90 World Cup, sweeping as the last man back, he actually tried to deke Roger Milla of Cameroon. Of course, Milla stripped the ball from him and proceeded to dribble by himself on goal for 40 yards to score. Classic.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 06-25-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #2615
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Here's the Milla goal. His name is Higuita. Almost got it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhWMx...search=higuita
Old 06-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #2616
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

That made me look for a famous goal in the french championship, the one scored by Francis llacer against Caen in 94-95, and I found it (poor quality sadly) :

hxxp://rapidshare.de/files/6803189/Francis_Llacer__PSG__vs_Caen-_reprise_de_vol_e_incroyable_-_94-95.mpg.html

also the goal scored by okocha in his first game with psg :

hxxp://hunderhsound1.free.fr/Okocha%20-%20but%20contre%20Bordeaux.wmv
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #2617
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Rene Higuita
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #2618
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here is a link to a 22 minute show of 50 incredible goals set to music.

There are a bunch of beauts in there, like Beckham's strike from midfield, a couple of a young Ronaldo back in his Barcelona days, two nice ones from Roberto Carlos, one a zero angle goal, and the other a free kick that curves one way around the wall, and then curves back the other way to sneak inside the post. All in all, a bunch of truly amazing shots!

hxxp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5358629040838888300

edit: for those wondering what I'm doing up at this hour, I've got a con call in a bit with some folks in Italy. Hopefully it won't last too long, and I can get a bit more sleep in.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-26-2006 at 02:11 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:50 AM   #2619
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

A Marcello Balboa goal?

Not surprised to see that it was Roberto Carlos with the zero angle goal.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:16 AM   #2620
Bek
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
He plays in Mexico and is known for doing that. He's not Mexican though, but like Honduran? Or something like that?

The most amazing goal is the one around 112, the angle is nearly impossible. Who kicked that?

SICK....that keeper save was off the wall...a must see for aspiring keepers out there
Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #2621
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

Conclusive proof that Blatter is an absolute cunt. The referee's doing what you told him to do. If anything, by the standards set out by FIFA, he should have given more red cards - Figo for a headbutt, Maniche for a second yellow, the Dutch bloke who patently only wanted to knock Ronaldo out of the game from the outset (should have been a red).

It's Blatter's fault for introducing a bunch of rules to be implemented in the tournament. (How about introducing them at the start of the season instead of using the World Cup as a test case)? And then, when he realises that it's made the game a bit of a joke, he turns on the referees in public and blames them. He's now made the referees position in the tournament untenable. What are they supposed to do? Follow the FIFA rules and be publically castigated for it or not follow them and get a dressing down in private.

Total. Fucking. Tool.

That said there's nothing like a needle match like that. Van Basten must be hoping that it all shifts attention from his baffling decision to stick with Kuyt for 90 minutes.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:20 AM   #2622
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
If I was FIFA, I would retrospectivlely punish dives and playacting, and #1 directive: anybody who waves an imaginary card at the referee immediately gets a real one in return.

Cheating is becoming a big problem and should be pushed: two slightly mistimed tackles should not mean game over (as long as the player was trying to play the ball and neither was dangerous - you should not be sent off for being skinned twice by a more skilful player if you are genuinely trying to tackle him)

Couldn't agree more with all of this. Particularly the "yellow card for asking for one" bit which is one of the most annoying things I've seen.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:19 AM   #2623
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Dutch media decided to focus on:
* total failure of our own team to play football
* the lack of 'fair play' during the game, most notable Figo and Van Bommel
* a failing referee
* will Van der Sar retire from the national team or not?
* why did Maniche play for Dinamo Moskou?

Nothing about the strikers saga though.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:54 AM   #2624
Joe
Pro Starter

Figo is a bitch
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #2625
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I can't help but feel that the increase in diving and feigning injury partly comes from the flood of yellow/red cards. Doing it to get a freekick is one level of motivation but getting an opposition player a yellow, second yellow or red card is another.

Still, the juicy prospect of an England-Australia Final is getting closer

Last edited by Mac Howard : 06-26-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #2626
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek
SICK....that keeper save was off the wall...a must see for aspiring keepers out there

Maybe as a "how not to" video or a "stupid shit that can get you in trouble" lesson.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #2627
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Figo is a bitch
Sure, but we knew that going into the game. Elbow or not, intentional or not, you know Figo will try to be as close to Boulahrouz as possible to give him a second yellow card in the 11 vs 10 situation. Our team didn't act accordingly to put Ooijer on Figo or replace Boularouz with Heitinga or Jaliens. The Van Bommel substituation later on made more sense, because he was going to get sent off too in that game. But at the same time, it was the moment we threw the towel about the fact that we can't score goals.

Anyway, Italy-Australia today, I wonder whether the 4 red cards and 16 yellow cards records will be on the line. And I'm going to jinx the Swiss-Ukraine game now by predicting it will be dull 0-0 ending in penalties.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #2628
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Btw,
great quote from Scolari - if the English media hadn't fucked it up, they could have had him as their next coach.

Quote:
However, Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari defended Figo.

He said: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #2629
Groundhog
Coordinator

Biggest game in Australian soccer history is just 30 mins away... Go Aussies!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #2630
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Aussies certainly don't seem to be awed by the Italians. They are playing well.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #2631
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Solid game so far, IMO. Aussie's are playing strong, hope they can pull off the win.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #2632
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, Schwarzer's goalie work has made my mind boggle even further as to Kalac's selection against Croatia. Schwarzer is solid as a rock.

We need to keep our heads in the game and not conceed an early goal ala Brazil. We can take this game.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #2633
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Yeah, Schwarzer's goalie work has made my mind boggle even further as to Kalac's selection against Croatia. Schwarzer is solid as a rock.

We need to keep our heads in the game and not conceed an early goal ala Brazil. We can take this game.

What, you not with the 10,000-15,000 people watching out in the streets tonight?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #2634
Celeval
Pro Starter

Yikes!
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2635
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW! Controversial red card on Italy's Materazzi!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2636
Katon
College Benchwarmer

FIFA's directive on lunges strikes again!
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #2637
cartman
Death Herald

Not sure why that was a red card. Yellow, yes. Now we'll have to listen to more Italian bellyaching about ref bias.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #2638
cartman
Death Herald

The liberal distribution of cards continues.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #2639
Critch
lolzcat

I preferred the old days when you used to see a red card every now and then, not one per half. FIFA seems to be trying to turn soccer into a non-contact sport, I'll be happy when the Leagues start up again so the referees will be working from their own FA directives and be able to ignore FIFA again.

Other than that, it's a boring game. You know a game is boring when you start thinking about whether or not Totti is hot.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #2640
cartman
Death Herald

The only way the Socceroos are going to score is off of a set piece. Italy's defense is just too organized for them to find a weak spot on a slow build up.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #2641
cartman
Death Herald

OH! Almost a heartbreaker for the Aussies there. That was Italy's best chance to score so far.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #2642
cartman
Death Herald

So close on the bicycle kick for Austrailia! He just missed striking that ball!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #2643
cartman
Death Herald

Stupid foul by the Aussie there.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #2644
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Oh shit.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #2645
kingfc22
Head Coach

Are you kidding me. This WC is such a joke.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #2646
cartman
Death Herald

If the defender wouldn't have slid in, we'd be going to OT.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #2647
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Damn
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #2648
Celeval
Pro Starter

Ugh.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote