stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola- Olive Garden is 3-5 minutes beyond the TR
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #26052
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm generally not a steakhouse person.

Steaks are very easy to make and if you get them on sale (which is not infrequent) then they are a third of the price of a steakhouse.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:13 AM   #26053
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

On occasion, we go to one of two great steakhouses here - Malone's and Jeff Ruby's. I generally don't get steak anywhere else. I'll just make it myself.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:16 AM   #26054
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm generally not a steakhouse person.

Steaks are very easy to make and if you get them on sale (which is not infrequent) then they are a third of the price of a steakhouse.
I can make a steak as well or better than most restaurants, but then at a restaurant I get to relax and just eat. If I am going out someplace nice with my wife, I usually am going to choose steak. I just really like steak.
We finally got a Koren BBQ place here, so now that is going to be my spot if I can drag her along.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:22 AM   #26055
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

There's an injured squirrel in my backyard. I saw it get jumped by an older squirrel. I went to check on it and it's bleeding but not terribly. It's just scared shitless. I've tried to help it but it just hides between the fence and fence post. I left it some nuts.

I just went to check on it and it had moved. I guess I didn't close the backdoor enough and my dog came out. He had no idea there was a hurt animal outside, but came out, sniffed and found it within 5 seconds. It was actually amazing.

Thankfully he was more curious than wanting to chase it. Normally he'd hightail it after a squirrel in his yard, but I guess he sensed something was off. He sniffed it and followed it until it hid again. He was still interested, but listened to me and came inside.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #26056
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's almost reassuring when my life gets back to it's usual state of "normal"

My cleaning crew is in today, as always I feed em at lunch. Ordered delivery.
Their sandwiches are in a bag on the front porch, my little personal pan pizza thing in a box underneath.

I pick up their bag ... which for no real useful reason is taped to my pizza box with a big ol' sticker.

Lit the bag, the pizza box unexpectedly comes with up, opens & flips upside down on the porch.

So much for my lunch.

That's some classic Jon 101 right there. #FML
Old 11-09-2023, 12:51 PM   #26057
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I can make a steak as well or better than most restaurants, but then at a restaurant I get to relax and just eat. If I am going out someplace nice with my wife, I usually am going to choose steak. I just really like steak.
We finally got a Koren BBQ place here, so now that is going to be my spot if I can drag her along.

What I never do is get a steak at a restaurant that isn't a steakhouse. I will make them myself. Or get one at a steakhouse. But the worst of all worlds (IMO) is paying restaurant prices for a steak at a non-specialty place that is unlikely to do it well.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #26058
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What I never do is get a steak at a restaurant that isn't a steakhouse. I will make them myself. Or get one at a steakhouse. But the worst of all worlds (IMO) is paying restaurant prices for a steak at a non-specialty place that is unlikely to do it well.

It gets really situational/locational though.

I mean, my Texas Roadhouse is more consistent with steak than my Outback. When we had Logan's (before they went under completely), they were routinely better than our Longhorn at the time.

And that's before we get to the pricepoint issue of "general purpose" vs "steak specific" places.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:56 PM   #26059
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's almost reassuring when my life gets back to it's usual state of "normal"

My cleaning crew is in today, as always I feed em at lunch. Ordered delivery.
Their sandwiches are in a bag on the front porch, my little personal pan pizza thing in a box underneath.

I pick up their bag ... which for no real useful reason is taped to my pizza box with a big ol' sticker.

Lit the bag, the pizza box unexpectedly comes with up, opens & flips upside down on the porch.

So much for my lunch.

That's some classic Jon 101 right there. #FML

That is the saddest story I've ever read.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #26060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
That is the saddest story I've ever read.

Nah.

The sad part was that not only did I not get to eat it but that I had to clean up the fucking mess it made. That was just, you know, insult to injury
Old 11-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #26061
GrantDawg

Just saw a racist guy rant and rave about Muslims trying to enforce "Sharia lawn" on us and I can't stop laughing.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #26062
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nah.

The sad part was that not only did I not get to eat it but that I had to clean up the fucking mess it made. That was just, you know, insult to injury

i would have called the pizza place and tell them to send another pizza on them. Their fault.

Also

Old 11-09-2023, 06:14 PM   #26063
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
cook it in the microwave in its husk for 3 minutes per cob. Cut the bottom off and squeeze it out the top. It is hair free and the best corn.

Tried it tonight. It was pretty good and definitely easier than de-husking and boiling. Thanks.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 03:45 PM   #26064
CarterNMA
Mascot

Did I miss something? I don't recall any recent postings by FOFC's Second Funniest Poster, Lathum, recently.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:20 PM   #26065
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterNMA View Post
Did I miss something? I don't recall any recent postings by FOFC's Second Funniest Poster, Lathum, recently.

PSA see starting #272 to #293.

The 2024 Presidential Nomination - GOP Debate #1 (Aug 23, 2023) - Page 6 - Front Office Football Central
Old 11-12-2023, 03:06 PM   #26066
bob
College Starter

The board ate my last message, so let's try again. We have been with Verizon for a little more than 2 years- I guess now they do 3 year contracts? My phone battery barely lasts for 2. What is the best cell phone plan now?

Last edited by bob : 11-12-2023 at 03:06 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:04 PM   #26067
Ksyrup

Yes, they've slowly gotten longer with the phone buy-ins. At&T was 30 months when I bought my phone 3 years ago, then last year when my daughters upgraded, all you could get was 36 months (unless you added $6/month for Next Up or whatever they call it).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-12-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:23 PM   #26068
Ksyrup

I got a letter from Nielson (and a $1 bill) asking if I want to participate in a radio diary survey. I figure I can't pass up the opportunity to send in a diary with a bunch of XM Liquid Metal entries for a 50+ person to skew their results, so I'm in!
Old 11-13-2023, 04:37 PM   #26069
molson
General Manager

I kept the $1 and didn't participate, and they sent a couple of sad follow up letters about me keeping the $1.

It was a really, really crisp dollar bill.

It was like when the army recruiters gave me socks in high school. I kept the socks but didn't follow up. And then they came back and asked me about the socks.

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2023 at 04:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:41 PM   #26070
Ksyrup

Yes, the bill was crisp. I wonder if that makes a difference in participation rates?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:05 PM   #26071
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I got a letter from Nielson (and a $1 bill) asking if I want to participate in a radio diary survey. I figure I can't pass up the opportunity to send in a diary with a bunch of XM Liquid Metal entries for a 50+ person to skew their results, so I'm in!

Speaking of XM, my wife is pretty annoyed that Rock Bar is a stream only channel now.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:37 PM   #26072
Ksyrup

We just realized they made some changes - the biggest to me was Bridge moving to 27 in place of Deep Tracks - and then I see that there has been a near-riot by classic rock fans because Deep Tracks is, like, channel 308 now and some older radios can't get it.

Here's one of the articles about it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rol...234872807/amp/

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-13-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #26073
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I got that sweet, sweet Nielsen dollar too.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:50 PM   #26074
cuervo72
Head Coach

"The additions include channels devoted exclusively to the oeuvres of Kelly Clarkson and John Mayer"

I've never understood this. Ok fine, the Beatles and Elvis. Ok. But uh, John Mayer? Or like my wife said, hey she likes U2 fine, but doesn't want to listen to a channel for them constantly (especially if it is going to be filled with live cuts and alt versions etc).
Old 11-13-2023, 11:33 PM   #26075
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They keep moving yacht rock around and I don’t like that at all.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:34 AM   #26076
Ksyrup

Yacht Rock is only a mainstream channel during the summer. It's always been on 311.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:36 AM   #26077
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"The additions include channels devoted exclusively to the oeuvres of Kelly Clarkson and John Mayer"

I've never understood this. Ok fine, the Beatles and Elvis. Ok. But uh, John Mayer? Or like my wife said, hey she likes U2 fine, but doesn't want to listen to a channel for them constantly (especially if it is going to be filled with live cuts and alt versions etc).

Or worse, bands they like or artists inspired by them so you may not even hear a Beatles or U2 song on those channels if you wanted to.

The worst is Buffet and Grateful Dead. Complete wastes of channels, IMO. Those should be in the 300s specialty channels.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-14-2023 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #26078
cuervo72
Head Coach

That baby one of the phone commercials (Google?) reminds me of Buddy Hackett.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:11 PM   #26079
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Or worse, bands they like or artists inspired by them so you may not even hear a Beatles or U2 song on those channels if you wanted to.

I don't use any of the streaming services, but I frequent several places that do, and I have always been very confused by that whole situation:

I like BAND A so I'm like hey Spotify make me an entire virtual station based on BAND A, and they do! That station will attempt to play bands that sound like or associated with BAND A, but the absolute last thing they seemingly ever do is play any songs by BAND A. Is that how it's supposed to work?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:10 PM   #26080
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They keep moving yacht rock around and I don’t like that at all.

Are you saying the Yacht Rock channel keeps saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaailing and it keeps you awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay from what you want to hear?
Old 11-15-2023, 07:18 AM   #26081
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It is crazy how they no longer scrape dead animals off the side of the road. I will pass 7-10 dead deer on the way home. Deer are such a problem here that they need to go to full time 24-7 hunting season.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:25 AM   #26082
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I don't use any of the streaming services, but I frequent several places that do, and I have always been very confused by that whole situation:

I like BAND A so I'm like hey Spotify make me an entire virtual station based on BAND A, and they do! That station will attempt to play bands that sound like or associated with BAND A, but the absolute last thing they seemingly ever do is play any songs by BAND A. Is that how it's supposed to work?

At least they don't do that with Ozzie's Boneyard. They play a good deal of other stuff, but they play a good amount of Ozzie, too. And I guess that approach makes some sense; we won't listen to 100% All Ozzie, but 20% mixed in with other music in the genre, sure.

What I don't know is why they feel they have to do this with all of the stations. Like, I know and like what Soul Town does. I don't need it to be moved, relabeled and relaunched as "Smokey's Soul Town". I guess they think there are fans of Smokey out there who haven't looked for a Motown channel yet?

(If anything Smokey is not all that high on my list of Motown acts. He's fine, but not the draw for me.)
Old 11-15-2023, 07:49 AM   #26083
GrantDawg

Quote:
It is crazy how they no longer scrape dead animals off the side of the road. I will pass 7-10 dead deer on the way home. Deer are such a problem here that they need to go to full time 24-7 hunting season.
Seriously. I remember a time when I was young and the problem was the deer population was very low. It was a combination of hunting pressure and some kind of virus. Now they are everywhere all the time.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:54 AM   #26084
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Are you saying the Yacht Rock channel keeps saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaailing and it keeps you awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay from what you want to hear?

It’s certainly not the Best that they can do
Old 11-15-2023, 08:01 AM   #26085
Kodos
Resident Alien

When we went to the Poconos last summer, you would see a dozen deer on a 10 minute drive.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:17 AM   #26086
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
At least they don't do that with Ozzie's Boneyard. They play a good deal of other stuff, but they play a good amount of Ozzie, too. And I guess that approach makes some sense; we won't listen to 100% All Ozzie, but 20% mixed in with other music in the genre, sure.

What I don't know is why they feel they have to do this with all of the stations. Like, I know and like what Soul Town does. I don't need it to be moved, relabeled and relaunched as "Smokey's Soul Town". I guess they think there are fans of Smokey out there who haven't looked for a Motown channel yet?

(If anything Smokey is not all that high on my list of Motown acts. He's fine, but not the draw for me.)

I guess like most advertising, they seem to be treating it like celebrity endorsements increase engagement. That's all I can figure.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:13 PM   #26087
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

There is a joke in Texas that buzzards are highway clean up crews
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:18 AM   #26088
Edward64
Head Coach

So, we got a Black & Decker 5-cup coffee maker. Works great (and arguably, the coffee tastes better than the old one) but one small problem.

It doesn't have a hot plate/bottom to keep the carafe hot after brewing. It's just plastic.

Yeah, it's my fault for not looking closer at the unit but com'on, who would have thought it was just plastic bottom?
Old 11-16-2023, 08:35 PM   #26089
Atocep
Coordinator

Well, after 3 and a half plus years I officially have Covid. The wife brought it back from a family gathering in Arizona. We both tested negative twice on at home tests, but we confirmed we have it today. Apparently 4 people from the family gathering have tested positive so far and have the same symptoms we do, but way worse. We got boosters a month ago and the other 4 haven't received any of the boosters.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:43 PM   #26090
GrantDawg

Edward, we have a Mr. Coffee that has a thermos style carafe. No hot plate. I will never go back. Keeps the coffee hot well past the 2 hour mark with no scorching or burning. We are actually on our 3rd. They usually last about 7-8 years before something gives.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2023, 05:39 AM   #26091
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Edward, we have a Mr. Coffee that has a thermos style carafe. No hot plate. I will never go back. Keeps the coffee hot well past the 2 hour mark with no scorching or burning. We are actually on our 3rd. They usually last about 7-8 years before something gives.

I have already ordered replacement Mr. Coffee 5-cup, with hot plate.

But good idea, wouldn't have thought of that.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:55 AM   #26092
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Plastic has to be simultaneously one of the greatest and worst inventions ever. And I'm not even talking about the environmental destruction of plastic waste. Just looking at all the ways cheap plastic has been a poor substitute in goods where formerly a well-crafted use of glass or metal did the job considerably better (and in a likely more durable way).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:24 AM   #26093
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm surprised Bud Light hasn't stabilized. I get they'll never get back their #1 market share, but I'd think the bleeding would've stopped. Apparently not.

Anheuser-Busch’s US marketing chief steps down as Bud Light sales plunge
Quote:
Benoit Garbe, the U.S. chief marketing officer for Anheuser-Busch InBev, is calling it quits as the backlash over marketing stunts continues to affect sales.

Once American’s top-selling beer, Bud Light sales have plunged this year. In the most recent quarter, the brewer reported a 13.5% decline in revenue per 100 liters, which is the best measure of beer sales.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:26 AM   #26094
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I wonder if Americans are drinking less piss water in general
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:49 AM   #26095
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm surprised Bud Light hasn't stabilized. I get they'll never get back their #1 market share, but I'd think the bleeding would've stopped. Apparently not.

Anheuser-Busch’s US marketing chief steps down as Bud Light sales plunge

I'm guessing with so many alternatives out there with the same quality IMO and at the same pricepoint, there just isn't isn't a reason to switch back.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-17-2023 at 09:49 AM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #26096
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Snoop Dogg says hes giving up smoking weed | CNN

I can't believe I'm reading those words.

What's next? Israel and Hamas making peace? Donald Trump telling the truth?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-17-2023 at 01:03 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #26097
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Jim Harbaugh admitting he knew is more likely than Donald Trump/Middle East peace.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:12 PM   #26098
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm guessing with so many alternatives out there with the same quality IMO and at the same pricepoint, there just isn't isn't a reason to switch back.
I mean when you are basically drinking lightly alcoholic water, the label matters very little.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #26099
Ksyrup

Have you ever had the thought that you went into the exact right type of job because you just wouldn't be good at certain other types of jobs? I knew even before I went to law school that I would never want to pursue a job that had anything to do with litigation. I just don't enjoy the constant adversarial posturing and I'm not good with constant high-stress situations that require instant "think on your feet" responses. My strengths lie in transactional work where legal strategies can be perfected and implemented over time, and I enjoy the minutia of regulatory details and research.

Anyway, the thought occurred to me today because we received a letter a couple of weeks ago about some alleged conduct of a company we work with, and they took the scattershot approach - to unnerve this company - of firing off letters to pretty much anyone who works with them, including our companies, suggesting that we might be responsible for the other company's conduct along with them. I responded, and they shot back with a response this week that requires us to respond.

In his first letter, the attorney for the other side misspelled (or misunderstood) the name of our parent company, so in my letter, I politely corrected him by italicizing the correct name of the company. Well, in his second letter, he did it again. The attorney's name is one of those first initial followed by middle and last name names. It's similar to M. Night Shayamalan. So in the response I drafted his afternoon, I purposely changed the M to an N because hey, if he's going to lack attention to detail, so am I!

Really, this kind of crap just brings out the worst in my character and there's no way I could make a living at it. But both my boss and our parent companies' GC said the letter was perfect, so...

Oh, and the two warring companies... owned by father and son. They don't have quite the closest relationship, it's fair to say. The son (whose company we work with) confirmed what we thought, that they wouldn't be spending Thanksgiving together this year.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #26100
GrantDawg

Quote:
Have you ever had the thought that you went into the exact right type of job because you just wouldn't be good at certain other types of jobs? I knew even before I went to law school that I would never want to pursue a job that had anything to do with litigation. I just don't enjoy the constant adversarial posturing and I'm not good with constant high-stress situations that require instant "think on your feet" responses. My strengths lie in transactional work where legal strategies can be perfected and implemented over time, and I enjoy the minutia of regulatory details and research.

Anyway, the thought occurred to me today because we received a letter a couple of weeks ago about some alleged conduct of a company we work with, and they took the scattershot approach - to unnerve this company - of firing off letters to pretty much anyone who works with them, including our companies, suggesting that we might be responsible for the other company's conduct along with them. I responded, and they shot back with a response this week that requires us to respond.

In his first letter, the attorney for the other side misspelled (or misunderstood) the name of our parent company, so in my letter, I politely corrected him by italicizing the correct name of the company. Well, in his second letter, he did it again. The attorney's name is one of those first initial followed by middle and last name names. It's similar to M. Night Shayamalan. So in the response I drafted his afternoon, I purposely changed the M to an N because hey, if he's going to lack attention to detail, so am I!

Really, this kind of crap just brings out the worst in my character and there's no way I could make a living at it. But both my boss and our parent companies' GC said the letter was perfect, so...

Oh, and the two warring companies... owned by father and son. They don't have quite the closest relationship, it's fair to say. The son (whose company we work with) confirmed what we thought, that they wouldn't be spending Thanksgiving together this year.
There is an attorney on TikTok that gives generalized legal advise in a fun way. She does a long stretch of don't ever, ever, ever go into business with a family member or friend. The ugliest of all litigation generally comes from breaking that simple rule.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-17-2023 at 02:36 PM.