I am no good at backhanded compliments

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #2502
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'll be finally entering the next generation this holiday season by picking up a Wii U for the family. Should be fun!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #2503
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'll be finally entering the next generation this holiday season by picking up a Wii U for the family. Should be fun!

I'm really hoping they offer a good package deal over the holidays. Would love to get one for my kids.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #2504
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm really hoping they offer a good package deal over the holidays. Would love to get one for my kids.

Best Buy has a Black Friday one: Wii U Deluxe with Nintendo Land, Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, and Donkey Kong for $360.

I'm really hoping that deal makes it to the Canadian Best Buy site.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #2505
mckerney
Coordinator

I went with the $200 Wii U Deluxe refurb from Nintendo's online store.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #2506
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I went with the $200 Wii U Deluxe refurb from Nintendo's online store.

That just the system?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #2507
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I miss the days when you could go store to store looking to get a game a few days early.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #2508
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
That just the system?

It includes the gamepad if that's what you're asking. Comes with Nintendoland and I thinkthe only thing it didn't have that a new system does is the charging station for the gamepad so you only have a cord to charge it with. Also bought one of the Japanese pro controllers which usually run about $10 cheaper on Amazon and an extended battery for the gamepad.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #2509
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

October 2014 numbers are in. PS4 sells the most for the 10th straight month. Overall, hardware sales are up 70% and current gen systems now make up 80% of all hardware sold (that's usually the tipping point where publishers start to abandon the last gen pretty quickly).

Only one system exclusive (Smash Bros.) made the top ten.

Top 10 sales are below:

Software:

1. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
3. The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
6. Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
7. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
8. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
10. Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #2510
mckerney
Coordinator

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year • Eurogamer.net

Quote:
And so we find PS4 facing Christmas with one of the weakest exclusive line-ups on record, and a third-party slate that's not much better. PS4's best games, from Shadow of Mordor to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, can almost without exception be played on PS3. True new-generation games like Batman: Arkham City and The Witcher 3 have retreated into 2015 - and a good thing too, if the shambles that is the one exception, Assassin's Creed Unity, is anything to go by. The rest are remasters. Once again: why have we bought these machines?

Even allowing for DriveClub, and PSN's ups and downs (mostly downs), and those damned rubber sticks, Sony has had a great year. PlayStation 4 has had a great year. But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really. We've done our part: bought the machines in good faith and persuaded ourselves that those extra frames per second, those extra lines of resolution, are really worth it. It's getting hard to keep that up. The PS4 must be the most successful console without a killer app there's ever been, but its momentum can't last forever, its feelgood factor has worn off, and its opponent has got its act together. Sony - and all your partners - it's over to you.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #2511
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Somewhat of an obvious article. In the end, that console currently has sold roughly the same number of units as its other two competitors combined.

The article makes a valid point that MS finally has put together a price point that should move some consoles. But Sony hasn't fired any bullets and still leads by a sizable margin. They could turn that around in a heartbeat, but they really don't need to right now. It's Business 101. If your competitor takes drastic measures and you're still outselling them, that's a problem for your competitor, not you. MS should know that well from the last generation.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #2512
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
PS4 vs Xbox One: Sony's in Trouble, Not Microsoft - Daily Game

Quote:
Sony had all the cards in its favor going into the PS4 launch. Microsoft had some major PR hurdles to overcome (always-online functionality, no used games, etc.), the Xbox One had a higher MSRP due to Kinect, and Sony grossly outspent Microsoft in advertising while Microsoft devoted resources to rebuilding trust among the gaming community.

In case you hadn’t noticed, this is now November 2014. Those tables have begun to turn.

Microsoft has implemented an Xbox One price drop, the company’s giving away games for free in a handful of great bundles, its partnership with the NFL is starting to pay off, and Xbox One ads are flooding the airwaves of ESPN and the major networks like Sony’s ads were last year, while Sony’s ads are appearing with much less regularity.

Some would argue this is all a sign of desperation by Microsoft. Considering the hole in which Xbox One sales results find themselves, there’s some logic in connecting those dots. But more than likely it’s an opportunistic and proactive decision to win the “marathon” as Microsoft has called it rather than “the sprint.”
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #2513
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MS is in trouble and they know it. The spin in this article is dizzying. Nothing that has occurred over the past year, from the Kinect debacle to the MS Entertainment Studios closing to the price slashing in advance of this holiday season, was planned as part of a 'marathon' plan. They've been sticking gum on the holes in the dam since day one.

Other thing to note about the article mckinney posted is that most are wondering why that article was even written about the PS4 as opposed to its leading competitor. The PS4 library isn't huge, but the X1 library is even smaller than the PS4 at this point in time.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #2514
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The opening line from that article should also be emphasized:

Quote:
It’s time for video game fanboys to stop pretending to be business people.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #2515
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The opening line from that article should also be emphasized:

Said the independent writer who can't get a job writing at a legitimate media provider. I'm proud of this guy for making $75 selling this article to the site, but his opinions are flawed IMO.

Let's play Family Feud. 100 top business executives were offered the opportunity to take over the PS or Xbox division. If it was any less than 85-90 of them responding PS, I'd be shocked. That's the business reality.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #2516
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Said the independent writer who can't get a job writing at a legitimate media provider. I'm proud of this guy for making $75 selling this article to the site, but his opinions are flawed IMO.

Let's play Family Feud. 100 top business executives were offered the opportunity to take over the PS or Xbox division. If it was any less than 85-90 of them responding PS, I'd be shocked. That's the business reality.

Your guess of 85-90% is reality? That sums up everything you spew quite nicely.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #2517
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Your guess of 85-90% is reality? That sums up everything you spew quite nicely.

So if you had your choice, you'd jump to MS right now? Interesting.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #2518
cartman
Death Herald

A company sitting on a mountain of cash and shows they are committed to a product vs. a company hemorrhaging cash that may or may not spin off the division? That's a no brainer.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #2519
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
A company sitting on a mountain of cash and shows they are committed to a product vs. a company hemorrhaging cash that may or may not spin off the division? That's a no brainer.

We'll see if you were right in the end.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #2520
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I've found plenty to play, but not too much I've been willing to spend full price for. PlayStation Plus is the killer app for now. Giving me and the family plenty to play. But I think they do need more of the "must have now" games.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #2521
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I've found plenty to play, but not too much I've been willing to spend full price for. PlayStation Plus is the killer app for now. Giving me and the family plenty to play. But I think they do need more of the "must have now" games.

Good chunk of those coming in three days.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #2522
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Good chunk of those coming in three days.

But they're also coming for the Xbox One. I think I've only bought two system exclusive games in the near year I've owned the console, Infamous: Second Son and the upcoming Little Big Planet 3.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #2523
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
But they're also coming for the Xbox One.

Yeah, but why would you want to limit yourself to CGA level graphics?

Last edited by cartman : 11-15-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #2524
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But they're also coming for the Xbox One. I think I've only bought two system exclusive games in the near year I've owned the console, Infamous: Second Son and the upcoming Little Big Planet 3.

Sure, but that's what it's been with both systems. MS has a couple good ones right now in Horizon and Sunset. PS obviously has some franchises coming early next year. The vast majority of the big games are not console exclusives.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #2525
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, but why would you want to limit yourself to CGA level graphics?

I know that the Xbox One isn't quite the graphical powerhouse that the PS4 is. But, if put side by side playing the same game, I'd be hard pressed to tell which one is which. At least, for now. A couple years down the road maybe that changes? But I'm not sure.

I think that plays in Microsoft's favor.

Last edited by BillJasper : 11-15-2014 at 01:41 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #2526
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This crazy thing to me about this generation of consoles is that, despite the longest ever span preceding it, even a year later there is nothing about either Sony or Microsoft machine compelling me to buy one. Even the Wii U I will be picking up would not be happening if my original Wii still worked.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #2527
Galaril
Pro Starter

So going to be buying a new console for myself and my kids mostly son so he and I can play games together a Little. Also will use to watch DVDs and blu rays.
Was leaning to a PS 4 as I had a PS 3 and liked it but am giving it to my ex wife so my kis got a system at her place to use. I never have and likely won't ever plYmon
In competitive games like Halo so that is not a consideration. I am starting to wonder if I should get a Xbox One as they some more affordable and it sounds like the only advantage in a PS 4 over Xbox One is slight graphics upgrade as all the games are produced for both and both play blu rays/DVDs. Things like PS plus don't interest as it is something we need to pay for. Thoughts.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #2528
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Xbox has outsold the PS4 the last 2 weeks with some momentum since the price cut:

Weekly Recap: Xbox One Finally Outsells PS4, Batman: Arkham Knight Resolution - GameSpot
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #2529
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Things like PS plus don't interest as it is something we need to pay for. Thoughts.

The PS+ and Xbox Live Gold paywalls have mostly come down. They're required for online multiplayer and the Instant Game Library (PS*) and Games With Gold (360/One), but all of the apps - HBO Go, Netflix, NFL Network, etc - are accessible by anyone who has a subscription to the service in question. You don't have to pay for either Plus or Gold to access those.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #2530
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Xbox has outsold the PS4 the last 2 weeks with some momentum since the price cut:

Weekly Recap: Xbox One Finally Outsells PS4, Batman: Arkham Knight Resolution - GameSpot

You have to chuckle at how bad the coverage is of this announcement.

1. Xbox has now outsold the PS4 two weeks (it remains to be seen whether that will last over the entire month), but the previous ten months where they got thumped are suddenly out of mind, out of sight.

2. This sentence is downright awful if you're looking for apples to apples comparisons

Quote:
The company cited excitement over the $50 price cut and the array of Xbox One bundles as fueling the turnaround. Microsoft also announced this week that it's now shipped 10 million Xbox Ones, behind PS4's 13.5 million.

That's 10 million shipped to retailers as opposed to 13.5 million sold to consumers. If you're going to report it correctly, you should report it as one or the other.

10M X1's to 15M PS4's (shipped to retailers)

OR

7.2M X1's to 13.5M PS4's (sold to consumers)

Stuff like this shows how extremely unreliable the gaming media continues to be.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #2531
cartman
Death Herald

So I guess that retailers are just blindly ordering Xbox Ones so that Microsoft's numbers look good. You are delusional if you think that is the case. 'Just in time' inventory is the norm, these products ordered aren't going to be sitting on shelves for months.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #2532
Galaril
Pro Starter

So the more I look at he price bundles deals for Xbox one as someone who albeit has a PS 3 I am leaning to switching to a XBox one. I guess I need to look at the hardware spec reviews to see how far off the xbox one is from the PS 4.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #2533
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So the more I look at he price bundles deals for Xbox one as someone who albeit has a PS 3 I am leaning to switching to a XBox one. I guess I need to look at the hardware spec reviews to see how far off the xbox one is from the PS 4.

Specs aren't THAT much different. You should be looking at the upcoming games over the next year or two and figure out what you'll be more interested in. Each system has several exclusives on the way. What you prefer should be what decides it. The PS4 has more games (and likely will going forward due to the larger installed base), but if you don't like the games they have, that doesn't matter either.

Also, you should probably go to the store and play with both controllers. The PS4 controller has changed quite a bit. You'll want to feel that out to see whether it's better or worse for you.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #2534
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Went to a buddy's house on Saturday night and we played some PS4. Played Nidhogg. What a fun game!

That said, I've now played 3 PS4 games that I've truly enjoyed: Towerfall, Sports Friends, and Nidhogg. I think all 3 of these games could have been created on a Super Nintendo. I still do not get why these new systems exist.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #2535
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm starting to think I may sit on the sidelines for another year before jumping in to the next generation.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #2536
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm starting to think I may sit on the sidelines for another year before jumping in to the next generation.

No different than the last go around. Generally takes a couple of years for games to actually seems like a step change rather than an incremental improvement. I'm thinking the next Drake might be the one that gets me.

Well beside the Wii U, that thing is awesome.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #2537
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

I agree, I will wait for a PS4 price cut or two and take advantage of a decent library of games. Hopefully any hardware glitches will be fixed by then as well.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #2538
Kodos
Resident Alien

The day that NCAA 201X comes out is the day I buy a next-gen console.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #2539
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The day that NCAA 201X comes out is the day I buy a next-gen console.

I'm sure you'll see that in Some Month, 201X

SI

Old 11-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #2540
Kodos
Resident Alien

Or Timesplitters 4.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #2541
cartman
Death Herald

I think a big difference between this gen's launch and last gen's is that when the PS3 and 360 came out, 1080p wasn't widespread. The consoles helped drive the adoption of 1080p. Now with this gen, 1080p is still the standard, so there isn't as big of a visual jump as there was before. 4k displays and gaming is still a long ways off.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #2542
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or Timesplitters 4.

It was goofy but I enjoyed TS2 for the Gamecube.

SI

Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #2543
Kodos
Resident Alien

Had great fun with 4-player deathmatches in TS2. Great game!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #2544
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

+1 for TS2
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #2545
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was a little disappointed that it wasn't better, considering its pedigree (a lot of the 007 people who didn't work on hugely underrated Perfect Dark) but it was still good

SI

Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #2546
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I agree, I will wait for a PS4 price cut or two and take advantage of a decent library of games. Hopefully any hardware glitches will be fixed by then as well.

Good plan. I need to get my kids a console and am trying to decide if I should get a PS3 or PS 4.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-17-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #2547
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

GameStop/Nintendo vs. MS/Sony.......

Gamasutra: Matt Matthews's Blog - GameStop & Nintendo: Game devaluation must stop
Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #2548
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So the publishers are mad that the customers expect to pay less for digital downloads, while for years they've been dangling the carrot in front of us that prices would be less if they could cut out all the middle men and logistical costs.

They should look at the model that Paradox has for their games. They do not believe that a single price point should apply. Every customer has a different price point that will get them to make their purchasing decision. So via promotions, product updates, etc. they attempt to reach multiple price points over the lifecycle of the product.

Look at a game like Euro Truck Simulator 2. It certainly isn't a big budget game, but they've sold over a million copies. I would guess if they priced at $59.99 and left it there they would have sold about 10,000 copies.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #2549
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

I did it, picked up a pre-black Friday deal from WalMart.ca: Mario Kart 8 deluxe bundle + donkey Kong tropical freeze for $299. I think the boys (5 and 4) are going to be pretty damned excited.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #2550
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Enjoy it! And don't forget to pick up Smash Bros!