Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #2501
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Malcom Smith
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #2503
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well its hard for me to say this given I'm a Cardinals fan, but congrats Seattle, you clearly were the best team in the NFL this year and deserved to win the Super Bowl.

:::goes to wash his mouth out with soap after saying that:::
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #2504
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Glad to see Smith get the MVP.

Also, gotta love Wilson.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #2505
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #2506
Danny
Head Coach

Yeah Wilson is really like able
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #2507
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't know if clearly is the correct word, but they were the best team. Congratulations, Seattle.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #2508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Twitter feed is amusing, seeing various celebs tweeting the esurance hashtag for the contest.

So far I've seen it from Daniel Bryan, Michael Manna, Scott Ian and Theory of a Deadman
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #2509
bhlloy
Coordinator

Absolutely thrilled for Malcolm Smith, 7th round pick to Super Bowl MVP
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #2510
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I don't know if clearly is the correct word, but they were the best team. Congratulations, Seattle.

okay so I exaggererated a tad bit
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #2511
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Floyd backing down and saying he didnt just lose 10 million now.

http://instagram.com/p/j8CJqfx3VK/
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #2512
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Floyd backing down and saying he didnt just lose 10 million now.

http://instagram.com/p/j8CJqfx3VK/

I'd believe that if he mentioned it 5 hours ago.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #2513
Dutch
"Dutch"

WTH? Did anybody else just see that dude grab the mic at the MVP presser? haha....
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #2514
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He's right. He didn't bet $10 million. He wagered $10.2 million.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #2515
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Ho-lee fuck. Amazing! I thought we had a good chance of winning, but I never expected a blowout like this. I actually feel bad for Manning, he's one of my favorites.

Congrats to a fantastic team and a well-deserved championship - this has been a long time coming for Seattle. I just hope we can avoid being complete idiots with stupid riots everywhere...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #2516
Dutch
"Dutch"

Exciting year for the Seahawks and their fans. Congrats! Well deserved championship, no question.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #2517
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He's right. He didn't bet $10 million. He wagered $10.2 million.

I can perfectly understand his wanting to duck this right now. Plenty of charities he could have helped out with that 10 million instead of giving it to LV. Oh well, Dont think he has ever been considered the brightest and most charitable person in the world. Of course its his money that he earned so he can do as he would like with it.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-02-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #2518
Galaril
Pro Starter

Congrats to Seahawks fans on the board here. You guys pretty much exposed what everyone is discussing on the boards and sports radio here in town a super soft team. Elway's crappy drafts as well as some of the guys on Defense we picked up during McDaniels time here. I am ashamed as a Coloradan and Bronco fan at how weak a showing the the Seattle 12th man showing up and making that a home game. Props to Seahawk fans you guys deserve the trophy. On a related note I was never a huge fan of Fox thought I thought he could handle this so I was wrong. Time to show Fox the door.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #2519
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe Gase should have interviewed with the Browns.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #2520
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Same thing every year. No matter who they get ppl will not like it.

Personally, thought it was a great performance.

As good as I have seen since Prince.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #2521
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well that was certainly a lot better than expected. Wow.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #2522
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Congrats to Seahawks fans on the board here. You guys pretty much exposed what everyone is discussing on the boards and sports radio here in town a super soft team. Elway's crappy drafts as well as some of the guys on Defense we picked up during McDaniels time here. I am ashamed as a Coloradan and Bronco fan at how weak a showing the the Seattle 12th man showing up and making that a home game. Props to Seahawk fans you guys deserve the trophy. On a related note I was never a huge fan of Fox thought I thought he could handle this so I was wrong. Time to show Fox the door.

It would be very easy to think this way after a game like that but if the game starts out differently the game could end up differently.

Once the ball starting rolling it wasnt to be stopped. If Denver comes out and puts up points on that first possession instead of allowing 2 the pressure falls on Seattle.

Vegas had this game around a pick em. I dont think we need to automatically think Seattle a lot better team because of a 1 game scenario.

Just bascially saying every team has great games, every team has poor games. I think we saw Seattle at their best and Denver at their worst tonight. Seattle wanted it more tonight and congrats to them for that.

I still would believe if these teams played 100 times that a 55-45 win/loss ratio would be the most believable.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #2523
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It would be very easy to think this way after a game like that but if the game starts out differently the game could end up differently.

Once the ball starting rolling it wasnt to be stopped. If Denver comes out and puts up points on that first possession instead of allowing 2 the pressure falls on Seattle.

Vegas had this game around a pick em. I dont think we need to automatically think Seattle a lot better team because of a 1 game scenario.

Just bascially saying every team has great games, every team has poor games. I think we saw Seattle at their best and Denver at their worst tonight. Seattle wanted it more tonight and congrats to them for that.

I still would believe if these teams played 100 times that a 55-45 win/loss ratio would be the most believable.

I'd disagree with you there. Sure giving up 2 was not how Denver wanted to start, but to have their D come out and make sure Seattle only got 3, especially after the big run, was probably a galvanizing moment for the Denver sideline. I'd imagine coming out for that second possession they were quite focused and ready to impose their will the way they had done most of the season. The ensuing stop by the Hawks D set the tone much more than the safety/first field goal did.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #2524
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'd disagree with you there. Sure giving up 2 was not how Denver wanted to start, but to have their D come out and make sure Seattle only got 3, especially after the big run, was probably a galvanizing moment for the Denver sideline. I'd imagine coming out for that second possession they were quite focused and ready to impose their will the way they had done most of the season. The ensuing stop by the Hawks D set the tone much more than the safety/first field goal did.

That and the completely obvious difference in effort between the two teams. Seattle's defense was on a level I haven't seen since the Ravens in their heyday. The entire Broncos team looked like they were playing in a foot of water compared to Seattle on both sides of the ball.

FUCK EA
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #2525
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Im just saying sports results are odd. Vegas isnt making all that money by throwing out ridiculously stupid lines. And all advanced data had this game pretty much a pick em.

We have seen NFL teams lose to a team on the road and beat the same team at home regularly.

We see the Heat in the NBA lose to the 76ers. Sure one game in the NFL is all the matters because that is how a winner is determined but I am not hesitant to say that if they played again next week that LV would set the line at a similar number and the Broncos would win.

Its just the way the NFL is.

The year the Patriots lost to the Giants. The Patriots probably win 3 out of the 4 times they would have played. But it didnt matter cause the game that mattered went to the Giants. Whether we want to believe it or not there is still plenty of variance in outcomes decided in 1 game or even 7 game series.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-02-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #2526
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
That and the completely obvious difference in effort between the two teams. Seattle's defense was on a level I haven't seen since the Ravens in their heyday. The entire Broncos team looked like they were playing in a foot of water compared to Seattle on both sides of the ball.

This saved Manning's legacy to some degree. He really had a chance to further cement it with a second superbowl win, but the fact the entire team got owned big time means it won't hurt his legacy as much in the long run.

Last edited by Danny : 02-02-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #2527
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd agree with Danny as far as this likely having very limited negative impact on Manning's legacy. Between the completely absent defense and the largely invisible O-Line play for much of the game, there wasn't a lot he could have done very differently.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #2528
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

That Percy Harvin trade looks like it was arguably worth it just for his performance in that game alone. I have to laugh at the guy who said he hasn't been a difference maker for a few years. It was probably the same guy who basically said that Russell Wilson is nothing without Marshawn Lynch.

I would say this is arguably the best Super Bowl winner since the 1996 Packers. So greatest of all time, maybe not, but arguably the best in 17 years although the 2004 Patriots are up there too. The Seahawks had a bad habit when it came to playing down to the level of their competition and I think that had a lot to do with their youth. But in the two biggest games of the regular season they won 29-3 over the Niners and 34-7 over the Saints. In their biggest game of the playoffs they won 43-8. They out scored three teams that went a combined 36-12 by a margin of 106-18. They lost three games, all by one score or less, and were leading with less than 10 minutes to play in all three games. Two of the losses came in the final 2:15.

So while they may not be the GOAT, I think they are one of the most talented teams in recent memory and their greatness was only hindered by their lack of consistency.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #2529
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

The year the Patriots lost to the Giants. The Patriots probably win 3 out of the 4 times they would have played. But it didnt matter cause the game that mattered went to the Giants. Whether we want to believe it or not there is still plenty of variance in outcomes decided in 1 game or even 7 game series.

I'd go 8 or 9 out of 10, personally. Crazy shit happens in single elimination games.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #2530
molson
General Manager

It wasn't Manning's fault by any means, but I think it damages his legacy if he only retires with 1 super bowl win. We were all talking about how he was the undisputed greatest QB ever if he won, so the loss is meaningful.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #2531
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I'd go 8 or 9 out of 10, personally. Crazy shit happens in single elimination games.

Indeed. And if someone needs proof they should pay attention to the NCAA tourny in March
Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #2532
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Did anyone else find the broadcast to be crap? Failed to show replays on a lot of plays where something happened and didn't bring in Pereira at all despite a couple chances at it. Didn't go down for sideline reports during the game much to find out about thing.

I know it's the Super Bowl and ads are a big deal but they didn't seem like they cared all that much about covering the game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #2533
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #2534
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm definitely one that doesn't put too much stock in one game's result, but I'll say this - the way the Seahawk defense played against Manning sure didn't look like a fluke. I think they erred in not trying to establish the running game more.

Now, the number of fumbles that bounced Seattle's way and the way that pooch kick actually worked to Harvin's benefit - those were fluky. Seattle scoring 43 is almost certainly at the very high end of what you'd see in 100 replays of that game. Denver actually did a really nice job bottling up Lynch, but there were yards to be had when they mixed in the Harvin fly-sweeps, and the passing game was humming.

I'm not going to worry too much about legacy and where this team ranks all-time - there are plenty of advanced statistical arguments out there making a case for this defense - but I'm just happy to be able to say "Seattle Seahawks: Super Bowl Champions"!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #2535
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm definitely one that doesn't put too much stock in one game's result, but I'll say this - the way the Seahawk defense played against Manning sure didn't look like a fluke. I think they erred in not trying to establish the running game more.

Now, the number of fumbles that bounced Seattle's way and the way that pooch kick actually worked to Harvin's benefit - those were fluky. Seattle scoring 43 is almost certainly at the very high end of what you'd see in 100 replays of that game. Denver actually did a really nice job bottling up Lynch, but there were yards to be had when they mixed in the Harvin fly-sweeps, and the passing game was humming.

I'm not going to worry too much about legacy and where this team ranks all-time - there are plenty of advanced statistical arguments out there making a case for this defense - but I'm just happy to be able to say "Seattle Seahawks: Super Bowl Champions"!

Oh most certainly. I maybe shouldnt have put it the exact way I did. Seattle with knowing about the 1 game scenario came out and took this game right out of the hands of Denver. Seattle outplayed them, had a better gameplan than them, and wanted it more than them.

The 55/45 comment comes with the basic assumptions that Denver would make some adjustments along the way and actually play to their "real" talent level and at some point Seattle comes down and plays to their |real| talent level. Seattle played tonight like one of the best teams we have seen in years. Whatever the reason Seattle played like a team that wasnt going to lose this game and basically didnt even let the Broncos breathe.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-02-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #2536
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Im just saying sports results are odd. Vegas isnt making all that money by throwing out ridiculously stupid lines. And all advanced data had this game pretty much a pick em.

We have seen NFL teams lose to a team on the road and beat the same team at home regularly.

We see the Heat in the NBA lose to the 76ers. Sure one game in the NFL is all the matters because that is how a winner is determined but I am not hesitant to say that if they played again next week that LV would set the line at a similar number and the Broncos would win.

Its just the way the NFL is.

Vegas had Denver -3

They try and find the 50/50 between two teams and make money off the vig. It has nothing to do with who the better team is.

Last edited by Desnudo : 02-02-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #2537
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Vegas had Denver -3

They try and find the 50/50 between two teams and make money off the vig. It has nothing to do with who the better team is.

I was seeing a lot 2s but Id guess a lot of the public money including Floyd bet that line up quite a bit. I am guessing the public money outweighed the sharp money in a game as big as the SB.

And you are right but Vegas cant throw out an awful line or the sharps will crush them so they cant just throw out a line and hope for the best and adjust on the fly. They generally set their lines very close to what the projected scores are for most advanced data sites. Seeing a 3-5 point difference is rare.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-02-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #2538
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was seeing a lot 2s but Id guess a lot of the public money including Floyd bet that line up quite a bit. I am guessing the public money outweighed the sharp money in a game as big as the SB.

And you are right but Vegas cant throw out an awful line or the sharps will crush them so they cant just throw out a line and hope for the best and adjust on the fly. They generally set their lines very close to what the projected scores are for most advanced data sites. Seeing a 3-5 point difference is rare.
Didn't Seattle open as the favorite before a bunch of money pushed the line to Denver?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #2539
Galaril
Pro Starter

I have been listening to all the Bronco player interviews on the local coverage here over the last few hours and ater the safety the Broncos offense had to quickly regroup and as we all saw go to silent count. The receivers interviewed made it sound like that was a big deal and rattled the game plan somewhat. I really think the Seattle fan noise level was a huge factor in this game in the first half.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-03-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #2540
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Didn't Seattle open as the favorite before a bunch of money pushed the line to Denver?

Yes looks like seattle opened at -1.5
Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 AM   #2541
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
okay so I exaggererated a tad bit

Exaggerate away, you deserve it and this is the best time to do it
Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #2542
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
This saved Manning's legacy to some degree. He really had a chance to further cement it with a second superbowl win, but the fact the entire team got owned big time means it won't hurt his legacy as much in the long run.

I agree. I wonder about his ability to "rally the troops" a bit, but there was such a clear difference in overall effort that pinning things on Manning is real hard to do. I was stunned at how quickly each play ended for Denver when it would initially look like there was an opening. More than a few times I wondered aloud what the hell Demaryius was doing after he caught the ball, most of all on that WR screen that he nearly blew up entirely on his own.

Thought Russell Wilson played exceptionally though. Most of his throws were very accurate and his decision making was great. I feel like if Seattle needed to, they could ask him to do quite a bit more for the offense, which makes them even more scary.

FUCK EA
Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #2543
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I guess we know which state has the good shit.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 AM   #2544
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I agree. I wonder about his ability to "rally the troops" a bit, but there was such a clear difference in overall effort that pinning things on Manning is real hard to do. I was stunned at how quickly each play ended for Denver when it would initially look like there was an opening. More than a few times I wondered aloud what the hell Demaryius was doing after he caught the ball, most of all on that WR screen that he nearly blew up entirely on his own.

Thought Russell Wilson played exceptionally though. Most of his throws were very accurate and his decision making was great. I feel like if Seattle needed to, they could ask him to do quite a bit more for the offense, which makes them even more scary.

The Seattle offense, with a healthy Percy Harvin (does that even exist?) is a scary, scary thought. Wilson was no great shakes down the stretch of the season though, and by the time he was lighting up the Denver secondary the Denver defense had been on the field for what seemed like 90 minutes.

As a 49er fan, I'm worried as hell that he really is this good. As an objective football fan, I'm not quite as sold on him being all-world yet.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #2545
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sorry Peyton but if you're not embarrassed by the performance of your team last night then it's probably time for you to walk away from the game.

Super Bowl XLVIII -- Peyton Manning says 'embarrassing' is an insulting word - ESPN
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #2546
Logan
Head Coach

Big congrats to Seattle and to our resident fans here. They sure as hell deserved it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #2547
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Papa John's has decided to drop Peyton as their spokesperson.

Word is Peyton couldn't deliver.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #2548
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sorry Peyton but if you're not embarrassed by the performance of your team last night then it's probably time for you to walk away from the game.

Super Bowl XLVIII -- Peyton Manning says 'embarrassing' is an insulting word - ESPN

Heh, when I saw the headline, I was honestly expecting something like this:

"To say our play was embarrassing is an insult to the word. We weren't even up to embarrassing levels."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #2549
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah, yes, the Monday after the Super Bowl where the talk around work is certain to be cogent football analysis ("hey! they Texans should have been in the Super Bowl as they could have scored at least that many!") and in depth commentary about commercials and how much the halftime show sucked.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #2550
Kodos
Resident Alien

This loss was a true team effort. Peyton didn't play well, and neither did anyone else.

I think next year I will go back to recording it, zipping through all the commercials and halftime crap, and just watching the game by myself. We had a guy fall asleep in the 2nd quarter and snore through most of the game. Add in people constantly walking in front of the TV, and subtitles constantly blocking part of the field, and it was generally a miserable experience.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-03-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote