Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #2501
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

I have read in a few dynastys and other posts where guys refer to the FIFA Rankings in the game. How do I get to this screen?
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #2502
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

World -> World Cup -> World Cup -> World Rankings
Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #2503
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quick question, is there a randomizer out there like the one for BBCF that will randomly select nations or teams or anything for the game?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #2504
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
Quick question, is there a randomizer out there like the one for BBCF that will randomly select nations or teams or anything for the game?

If you are using FM2006 try this one: http://proxymoron.org/llm/

If you are using FM2005 try this one: http://www.llamaland.co.uk/fmteamsel...generator.html
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #2505
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Sigh. And then there are times when I don't love this game so much.

Like when the game decides that you've had too much success and it's time to come back to the pack. So some mediocre goalkeeper stops all 20 or so of your 27-28 shots that ARE on goal, drawing comments after comments of " somehow gets a fingertip on it!" And you grit your teeth and grumble some curses.

And then another, even MORE mediocre, goalkeeper repeats the performance! AMAZING!

I hate, hate and absolutely HATE artificial difficulties for the sake of creating supposed "challenges". I can accept that, in the days and ages of advance scouting, whatever holes exists in your formation can and will be exploited (in the case of the formation I currently employ, right down the middle). That whatever advantage my formation/attacking style may have had can become negated overtime, I can live with that. I will work on finding the cure for it or move onto another formation to seek the next advantage. On the other hand, to simply make Manuel Alumnia into Gigi Buffon -- for a game -- for the sake of providing "challenge" is absolutely asstarded and has always been a disappointing copout by SI.

Rant temporarily over.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #2506
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I have the same problem. No-name keepers playing world class games against me. Meanwhile my keeper who has won the best keeper in europe 3 years in a row let's in their first shot. so the scoring line goes like

me
20 shots - 12 on goal - 0 goals
them-
2 shot - 1 on goal - 1 goal
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #2507
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A setup question:

If I only select W. Europe countries to be basic and fully represented, if I send a scout to Scandinavia is he going to find any prospects?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:33 AM   #2508
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
A setup question:

If I only select W. Europe countries to be basic and fully represented, if I send a scout to Scandinavia is he going to find any prospects?

Depends on the size of the database, but with a normal one, yes he'll find some.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #2509
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus

Like when the game decides that you've had too much success and it's time to come back to the pack. So some mediocre goalkeeper stops all 20 or so of your 27-28 shots that ARE on goal, drawing comments after comments of " somehow gets a fingertip on it!" And you grit your teeth and grumble some curses.

And then another, even MORE mediocre, goalkeeper repeats the performance! AMAZING!

I hate, hate and absolutely HATE artificial difficulties for the sake of creating supposed "challenges". I can accept that, in the days and ages of advance scouting, whatever holes exists in your formation can and will be exploited (in the case of the formation I currently employ, right down the middle). That whatever advantage my formation/attacking style may have had can become negated overtime, I can live with that. I will work on finding the cure for it or move onto another formation to seek the next advantage. On the other hand, to simply make Manuel Alumnia into Gigi Buffon -- for a game -- for the sake of providing "challenge" is absolutely asstarded and has always been a disappointing copout by SI.

Rant temporarily over.

maybe that's not what is going on though? maybe it's that their defenders are so good at positioning that all of your shots are weak/right at the keeper/harmless? Maybe it's that one of their midfield players is great at tackling and anticipation and is breaking up your attacks before they start?

It could be anything factoring into that, not necessarily a "super-keeper." Although there are certainly instances where keepers go on "runs", witness the Swiss keeper in the WC.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #2510
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno - the more I play, the more I buy that there is some sort of super-keeper thing going on at times. At one time, I decided to compare opposing GK ratings vs me as compared to those vs other teams, and if I recall correctly - they were something like half a point to a point better against me. It seems like every game, the opposing goalie gets an 8.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #2511
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
I dunno - the more I play, the more I buy that there is some sort of super-keeper thing going on at times. At one time, I decided to compare opposing GK ratings vs me as compared to those vs other teams, and if I recall correctly - they were something like half a point to a point better against me. It seems like every game, the opposing goalie gets an 8.

there we go. now that's actual statistical evidence! can we get a SI response to this/someone to do a more thorough comparison in a different career?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #2512
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

For me it has more to do with the background matches vs "live" ones
Old 07-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #2513
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

That all depends on who you're playing as, if you play as a team that dominates then the opposing keeper will get a high rating as they'll make more saves. A keeper that is doing nothing or next to nothing will be stuck at 7.

I've found it the other way round as well, if I'm playing as a bad team my keeper will have my highest average as long as I can keep a keeper with high morale available.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #2514
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

greatest combination of positions ever: DM/AMC

God I love it, makes the guy so versatile in my midfield. He can be the primary playmaker and also track back on defense because his speed/stamina is high enough
Old 07-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #2515
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Quote:
there we go. now that's actual statistical evidence! can we get a SI response to this/someone to do a more thorough comparison in a different career?

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, especially if there is a problem with your offense. Where do your shots come from? If you're putting 15 shots on goal a match, but they're all half-chances, easily saved - that's going to help the opposing keeper rating.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #2516
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

To be fair, I'd probably have to adjust for something like long shots taken, the varying strategies and what not - by no accounts was it a scientific study.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #2517
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
greatest combination of positions ever: DM/AMC

God I love it, makes the guy so versatile in my midfield. He can be the primary playmaker and also track back on defense because his speed/stamina is high enough

Funny, I actually hate that combo as I can never seem to develop a tactic to utilize these players properly. A few pages back I posted about a quandarary with this type of player.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #2518
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Funny, I actually hate that combo as I can never seem to develop a tactic to utilize these players properly. A few pages back I posted about a quandarary with this type of player.

i just play him as one of my MC's in a 4-4-2 and set him as the primary playmaker and up his "closing down" and "forward runs" and "run with ball" and "creative freedom" , giving him a free role is optional depending on the opponent and his particular talents in terms of being suited for that. the other MC tends to be someone similar, although not the same hybrid type player, but someone like Michael Essien who is strong in all areas.

i don't think i'd play him the same way if he was my sole MC, or if he was "in the hole" behind the strikers
Old 07-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #2519
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus

Rant temporarily over.

Just went through this - the opposing team's backup goalkeep and backup central defender both had 9's in the game - ending my winning streak.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #2520
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just went through this - the opposing team's backup goalkeep and backup central defender both had 9's in the game - ending my winning streak.

To me that is an indication of a bunch of not so great chances. The defender was playing so well that your strikers heard footsteps and fired off shots at the first opportunity rather than really working their possessions.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #2521
Easy Mac

I think I brought this up before, but right now I'm playing as Salt Lake in the MLS. In the first season, 15 of my first 22 games are on the road. This seems to be what generally happens whenever I play in the MLS, 2/3rds of my first part of the schedule is on the road. It's not too bad the first season, but obviously, when this happens in later years, my team starts off in a hole, since it can only get so many points out of the road games. Is this a constant problem for anyone else, or is it just particular to my computer.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #2522
Havok
College Starter

super-keepers are alive and well in FM06
Old 07-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #2523
Celeval
Pro Starter

In 2015 of my former Gretna/now Zaragoza game, the following news item:

Grimsby stun The Blues
Grimsby Town 1-0 Chelsea (FA Cup Final)

The (in 2005) League 2 Grimsby Town promoted to L1 after 06/07, to the Championship in 13/14, then in 14/15 beat Tottenham (the EPL winners) in the semis; then 4th-placed Chelsea in the finals. Gotta love seeing this happen from a computer team.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #2524
mckerney
Coordinator

Finally got around to buying the game and finished my first season.

Started unemployed and took the Lancaster City job which came with the expectation to start rebuilding by investing in new players, leaving me with the expectation that I'd be fighting for position in the middle of the league. Made a few purchases before the season and planned on developing a few players. I'm still rather unsure of what I'm doing with tactics and at the start of the career and ran a fairly basic 4-4-2 which saw my offense struggle. I seemed to be doing alright on defens thoughe as the keeper I signed before the season recorded clean sheets in the first 11 league games, before finally giving up a goal in a 1-1 draw in the match #12. The play of my keeper helped lead me to promotion and a Conference North Championship as he registered 23 clean sheets, giving up 16 goals in 35 matches.

Learned more on tactics as I went on, and although I still feel fairly clueless I started to get my offense going once I found two wingers who could guide my offense. I put up 94 points with a 29-7-6 record, winning the league by 12 and having a GD of 61 to 19. I also managed to reach round 2 of the FA Cup, losing to a EL2 team 4-0 in a 2nd round replay match.

I'm looking forward to the challenge after promotion and love a lot of the small things in the game, like the press and praise from supporters and the board after clinching the series title with 4 games to play, and seeing my favorite player on the team, an aging MC/DC list me among his favorite personel.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #2525
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Grrr...
Is anyone getting the free kick marking bug ? All my midfielders and forwards are set to "Form Wall" - all the defenders to man mark - I know this for certain as those are my pre-game setting. Lo and behold, on a free kick, all the fucking defenders are in the wall. For some reason, the sitting of the midfielders has been set to default and the defenders to form wall (when I check back) - which results in a 9 man wall, and the opposing team scoring easily. This happens at least one a game, and is immensly frustrating ( I have to manually adjust all of them). I don't mind losing when I'm outplayed - repeated bugs like this drive me nuts.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 07-16-2006 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #2526
Havok
College Starter

just tied birmingham 1-1

27 shots 13 on goal for me

3 shots for them, 1 on goal.

seems like every few games no matter how great my team is, the game just decides to make my entire to play like absolute crap and tie/lose a game i should EASILY WIN. Or i get to play against a super goalie.

as much as i like the game, the same things that made me stop playing the last one are starting to push me over the edge on this one.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #2527
Havok
College Starter

just tied birmingham 1-1

seems like every few games no matter how great my team is, the game just decides to make my entire to play like absolute crap and tie/lose a game i should EASILY WIN. Or i get to play against a super goalie.

as much as i like the game, the same things that made me stop playing the last one are starting to push me over the edge on this one.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:25 AM   #2528
Havok
College Starter

sorry guys.... i have no idea how that happened
Old 07-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #2529
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
just tied birmingham 1-1

The game doesn't decide -- those little electrons running through your computer go at just a randomly slightly different speed and that's what causes these kind of results.

Everyone remembers the ONE or TWO times where they lose when they should have own, but forget the DOZENS when the win when they should have won.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #2530
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
maybe that's not what is going on though? maybe it's that their defenders are so good at positioning that all of your shots are weak/right at the keeper/harmless? Maybe it's that one of their midfield players is great at tackling and anticipation and is breaking up your attacks before they start?
Nope. Straight point-blank shot. On more than a few, the ball pretty much got past the 'keeper and he had to "dive" back (the dot makes a "leap" instead of the usual movement). Even the commentator makes a comment to the effect that the 'keeper JUST gets a finger on it. Except repeat a whole bunch of times.
Quote:
It could be anything factoring into that, not necessarily a "super-keeper." Although there are certainly instances where keepers go on "runs", witness the Swiss keeper in the WC.
I've seen that. I've HAD that. That's one thing . . . "A GOALKEEPER" going on a hot streak.

I'm talking about various goalkeepers on various teams going on a hot streak. In games against me. Nobody else.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #2531
chinaski
College Prospect

A really wish my Assistant would send me an email when making offers to players that will put me over my SI/YI limit. Nothing worse than not realizing youre at the limit and then dropping a bunch of money on players you'll end up having to cut.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #2532
MrBug708
Head Coach

Isnt it at the bottom of the offer contact screen?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #2533
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
The game doesn't decide -- those little electrons running through your computer go at just a randomly slightly different speed and that's what causes these kind of results.

Everyone remembers the ONE or TWO times where they lose when they should have own, but forget the DOZENS when the win when they should have won.

1 or 2 times?? it happens to me every 4 or 5 games. In fact it just happened again(5 games after my Birmingham game). just played Middlesbrough at HOME, they litterally don't have a single player on thier team in 2011 that could even be a back-up on my squad. we tied 0-0. 17 shots for me 9 on goal. My forwards are Fred and Vucinic, 2 of the bestforwards in the game. Their goalie is Robert Green.... sub-par Premiership goalie. So 2 tied games in 2 weeks that i should have EASILY EASILY won. Then i'll go and score 7 vs Southhampton or something. Doesn't make much sense sometimes.

Like i said, i love this game, but for whatever reason, my teams will just refuse to show-up every few games. Im sure its written somewhere in the programing. Maybe a moral thing or a "we'll take this game for granted thing". But it happens to me every 4 league games or so. Hell i haven't won a game i should have lost in probally 2 seasons. But i've DAM sure lost/tied games i should have won.

My tactics are solid... one of the best tactics over at the SI forums. So that ain't it. Its just somewhere in the programing.

once again, i do love this game. But there are still problems with it.Regens are still screwed up. Probally 70% of the top regens are from england in 2011. Most countries don't have a single regen with PA over 150 by 2011. So in another 5-10 years 70% of the best players in the game will be from England.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #2534
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
1 or 2 times?? it happens to me every 4 or 5 games. In fact it just happened again(5 games after my Birmingham game). just played Middlesbrough at HOME, they litterally don't have a single player on thier team in 2011 that could even be a back-up on my squad. we tied 0-0. 17 shots for me 9 on goal. My forwards are Fred and Vucinic, 2 of the bestforwards in the game. Their goalie is Robert Green.... sub-par Premiership goalie. So 2 tied games in 2 weeks that i should have EASILY EASILY won. Then i'll go and score 7 vs Southhampton or something. Doesn't make much sense sometimes.

Like i said, i love this game, but for whatever reason, my teams will just refuse to show-up every few games. Im sure its written somewhere in the programing. Maybe a moral thing or a "we'll take this game for granted thing". But it happens to me every 4 league games or so. Hell i haven't won a game i should have lost in probally 2 seasons. But i've DAM sure lost/tied games i should have won.

My tactics are solid... one of the best tactics over at the SI forums. So that ain't it. Its just somewhere in the programing.

once again, i do love this game. But there are still problems with it.Regens are still screwed up. Probally 70% of the top regens are from england in 2011. Most countries don't have a single regen with PA over 150 by 2011. So in another 5-10 years 70% of the best players in the game will be from England.

Well, that's certainly different from wild accusations of "super keepers". I buy your explanations in the first paragraph as entirely plausible.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #2535
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i remember reading a post somewhere from someone at SI that the "superkeeper" is a myth. argh i wish i knew where it was posted
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #2536
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

This is interesting as I'm not getting this sense. It's just intuition as I haven't checked nor use the editor, but in my game in 2023 I see just as many good Spanish regens as English regens with a slightly lesser number of solid French and Italian players. I do wonder if it might have something to do with which leagues I have activated as Spain and England are both on while France and Italy are off.

On a different note, it's been interesting to see how my Barca squad performs differently than the Exeter team I left. If I would tell my Exeter boys that I was thrilled with their performance at half time, invariably they would let up and allow the other team to get back in the game. It seems my Barcelona team takes that same message with a sense of professionalism that rewards the compliment. They have turned 3-0 halftime leads into brilliant 5-0 and 6-0 demolition jobs. That just happened so rarely at Exeter. I'll be interested to see if they keep on responding this way.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 07-16-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #2537
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
This is interesting as I'm not getting this sense. It's just intuition as I haven't checked nor use the editor, but in my game in 2023 I see just as many good Spanish regens as English regens with a slightly lesser number of solid French and Italian players. I do wonder if it might have something to do with which leagues I have activated as Spain and England are both on while France and Italy are off.

It has, definitely.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #2538
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge
i remember reading a post somewhere from someone at SI that the "superkeeper" is a myth. argh i wish i knew where it was posted
I've posted along those lines repeatedly - there is NO bias for or against any teams keepers in the game.

You do irl get some keepers who on their day have great form, such is life unfortunately.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #2539
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
1 or 2 times?? it happens to me every 4 or 5 games. In fact it just happened again(5 games after my Birmingham game). just played Middlesbrough at HOME, they litterally don't have a single player on thier team in 2011 that could even be a back-up on my squad. we tied 0-0. 17 shots for me 9 on goal. My forwards are Fred and Vucinic, 2 of the bestforwards in the game. Their goalie is Robert Green.... sub-par Premiership goalie. So 2 tied games in 2 weeks that i should have EASILY EASILY won. Then i'll go and score 7 vs Southhampton or something. Doesn't make much sense sometimes..

Morale is a possibility, run of poor form by strikers, etc.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #2540
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
there is a better feeling: seeing your team get red hot after they've sucked ass for a loooong while

FM

Ok, so it wasn't a looooong loooong while, but it was long enough for me.....

After my Albion Rovers got red hot, going from SD3 to SD1 in two years, and winning the Challenge Cup in that second year while in the SD2, things came to a halt. Kind of figured it would, since I had not had a lot of upgrading in talent from my D3 team. No money to upgrade, and it's hard to find the players who are even willing to come to my Wee Rovers on loan.

I did have a couple moves before I got out of D2 though, that I was excited about. I signed a ML who would be a decent upgrade (my outside midfielder spots had been driving me nuts since I couldn't find anyone worth a damn to play there IMO).

The big signing though was a player my scout found in Europe. I don't remember where he was at the time, but he is a 'cultured winger' from Sweden and speaks 4 languages at 21 years old. He is a AM LC/ F. I signed him much to my surprise and was excited right away, because his technical skills were above and beyond anyone I had. His mental was not so hot, but we would work on that....

So, my first year in D1 starts. I suck. I am getting pounded. I finally get a win in game 4. From there It is win or lose, mostly lose. I think it was game 12 that I had my first draw, which with all the losing I would have been happy with draws at this point.

After the 2nd game of the year I started to get more defensive, which helped some. I had been running a 4-4-2 with the midfielders in a 'wide' diamond, L and R wingers and a DMC and AMC. Well, I dropped the AMC back to just a plain old Midfielder standing alone in the center. Seemed kind of odd but I stuck with it. I got a M who would work better then the AMC I was using.

Ok, already too long of a story here...so I am sitting in 8-10 most of the year up until Jan. comes around. I can't get any moves made to improve my team, except I finally find a couple Forwards to come on loan. Nothing special, but they have some decent finishing ratings for young guys, which I figured I could use. I messed with a couple different formations also at this point, getting desperate. Well, I got hammered by someone 5-0, so I went back to what I had.

Then things clicked. I have been tearing it up since mid-Jan. My Swedish striker is a mad man, scoring 9 goals over a 5 game stretch at one point. With mostof the SD1 kind of mediocre except the top two teams (Hibs and Morton) I actually end up shooting up the standings to third. 4-5 games left to go, and no shot at promotion, but I am ok with that. Hopefully I can keep this thing improving for another year in D1 and keep the hounds off my Swedish striker who went from nothing to me being able to demand over a million dollars for him (still not sure how I turned that down but I did) in this one season.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #2541
Easy Mac

Since everyone else is sharing their stories:

I start off with Real Salt Lake. At the beginning of the season, I'm given 200-1 odds of winning the MLS. Over the course of the season, I end up selling off a starting defender, 3 starting mids, a spot starter at defense, my #2 forward, and my starting keeper. I start off the season with a pair of 2-0 wins, playing a 4-5-1 (4-1-3-1-1 to be FM technical) at both home and away. We then go 5 games winless. For the next 12 games or so we trade wins and losses until my team finally clicks on a PK win in the Open Cup in New York. We go 11 games without losing to finish the regular season #1 in points in the MLS. We're allowing just over 1 goal a game and scoring two. We go through the semis 4-2 on aggregate. We win the Western Conference 2-0.

So we get to the MLS Cup to face Kansas City. In the semi-finals of the Open Cup, we lost to KC 4-3 on PK's, our only loss since the end of July. So I decide, what the hell, lets go all out, so I go with the attacking 4-5-1 and hope that's good enough.

Well, KC comes out blazing and dominating, so after about 10 minutes I switch to the defensive and hope to hit them on the counter. The game goes the full 90 without a goal. In the 96th minute I sub in a new right back for my last sub, hoping my boys can just stay alive to make it to PK's again. The guy I brought on I debated about after I hit the tactics button. I only had 1 defender left, and bringing him on would cause me to have to switch a better producing defender to the d-mid role. Also, the player last played 2 games ago when he put up a 4 and got subbed at the half. He also put up a 4 when he was called to the Panamanian national side... but I had no one left.

3 minutes later, my brilliance is realized. My side gets a corner and my right back goes forward. Bam! Goal on the header in the 99th minute!!!! His first goal of the campaign is a 99th minute header in the MLS Cup. My team holds on for the final 20 minutes to secure the first MLS title in RSL history, after being labeled 200-1 shots to win it all.

In the end of the year awards, I had a GK, a Defender, 3 mids and a forward on the first team MLS All Pros, The top 2 defenders in the race, 2 and 3 in rookie of the year, top keeper (who started the year as the backup), the MVP, top two in Humanitarian of the year, and the top goal scorer by 9 goals.

All in all, a pretty good first season.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #2542
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
The big signing though was a player my scout found in Europe. I don't remember where he was at the time, but he is a 'cultured winger' from Sweden and speaks 4 languages at 21 years old. He is a AM LC/ F. I signed him much to my surprise and was excited right away, because his technical skills were above and beyond anyone I had. His mental was not so hot, but we would work on that....

Let me guess : Kristoffer Kittel ?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #2543
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Since everyone else is sharing their stories:

I start off with Real Salt Lake...

In my current carrer, I managed RSL for two and a half seasons before leaving for Bologna in Italy. I won 2 MLS cups and one CONCACAF Champions Cup. Players like Nik Besagno, Jamie Watson, and DJ Countess all were lynchpins of my dynasty and I had great success finding good players from Mexico and South America. Good Luck!
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #2544
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Why are these people unhappy?

Defoe - played in 7 of last 9 games, starting 6. It's April 1 (England schedule) and he has 17 starts and 11 substitutions on the year, despite being out the first two months of the season, and today I get a message that he wants more first team time.

Fred - has played in 36 premier league matches last season and 27 of 29 this season so far, overall has played 36(8), yet he is still unhappy and feels he should be a regular starter, something he picked up two seasons ago and never lost. He is second in appearances on the team!

Do these people have to start every game to be happy? With league cups and champions league I am playing every 3/4 games, I have to give them rests!
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:53 AM   #2545
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Why are these people unhappy?

Defoe - played in 7 of last 9 games, starting 6. It's April 1 (England schedule) and he has 17 starts and 11 substitutions on the year, despite being out the first two months of the season, and today I get a message that he wants more first team time.

Fred - has played in 36 premier league matches last season and 27 of 29 this season so far, overall has played 36(8), yet he is still unhappy and feels he should be a regular starter, something he picked up two seasons ago and never lost. He is second in appearances on the team!

Do these people have to start every game to be happy? With league cups and champions league I am playing every 3/4 games, I have to give them rests!

is their "squad status" not set appropriately on the "transfer status screen" ?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #2546
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Check their Personal screen, see what makes them unhappy, it's written there.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #2547
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex
In my current carrer, I managed RSL for two and a half seasons before leaving for Bologna in Italy. I won 2 MLS cups and one CONCACAF Champions Cup. Players like Nik Besagno, Jamie Watson, and DJ Countess all were lynchpins of my dynasty and I had great success finding good players from Mexico and South America. Good Luck!

Yeah, I only threw Besagno in there for 6 games (4 as subs) the whole year since he was only 15/16. Watson played in 32 games and performed solidly (7.16). I've updated all the rosters in the US, so Countess wasn't with me anymore. He started as a free agent and wound up in Denmark. Christian Jimenez was a revelation on left side. Jeff Cunningham was a God up front, Jay Nolly was the best keeper in the league. Somehow Carey Talley was the best defender.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but one nice touch from the game is that at the end of the year, 6 of my American players got called up to the national team for a friendly. That was pretty cool. Cunningham was off and on the team through the season, but Carey Talley, Christian Jiminez, Jay Nolly and Jamie Watson all got called up for the first time, with Eddie Pope rounding out the 6. It was pretty cool seeing their good work in the season rewarded.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #2548
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
is their "squad status" not set appropriately on the "transfer status screen" ?
What's appropriate (only 3 or 4 seasons under my belt with this game)? I had Fred as a key player and Defoe as a back-up, I moved Defoe to an important first team player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
Check their Personal screen, see what makes them unhappy, it's written there.
Both of them definitely feel they should be part of the first team.

Another question: I have a player that is out on loan, unhappy and won't resign. Will I get compensation when another team signs him at the end of the season (he is 21-22 years old)?
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #2549
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Out of curiosity, could anyone explain the various options (and the players' action in those instances) for throw-ins please? I'm tinkering with my formation (sort of a bastardized 3-5-2/5-3-2) and I'm relatively happy with it, other than hole I can do nothing about (spot right in front of defenders, behind the lone central midfielder). The only thing that still annoys me is the fact that my opponents are having too easy a time with throw-ins (I know, nitpick . . . but I do that). Can anyone enlighten me on those please?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #2550
ausonny
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Somehow Carey Talley was the best defender.

I played against Carey in High School, Nice to see him doing well!
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote