Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #25151
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Am I alone in thinking that the US needs to move towards a Parliamentary System of government?

Not with the way they draw districts
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #25152
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The sense I get is that you have two types of Americans, notwithstanding what labels we put on ourselves.

People who follow politics, almost all of whom have chosen a side.

People who don't follow politics.

I can't think of anyone I know offhand who I say "follows politics" who is not pretty firmly in one camp or the other.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #25153
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I can't think of anyone I know offhand who I say "follows politics" who is not pretty firmly in one camp or the other.

You don't know me any more than offhand, but now you can't say that any more.

I was disturbed by the NYT op-ed. The implication was that you're a racist if you disagree with the president in any way.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 AM   #25154
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I was disturbed by the NYT op-ed. The implication was that you're a racist if you disagree with the president in any way.

That's one way to read it.

Another way is that reasonable people are running out of explanations for why the Republican establishment and Republican lawmakers (which is how the editorial identifies them, not "anyone who disagrees with the president") so completely, relentlessly and destructively opposes absolutely everything and anything Obama tries to do, even when it puts the country itself (i.e. default) at risk.

Maybe you answer that, huh?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #25155
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
You don't know me any more than offhand, but now you can't say that any more.

I'll give you that there are largely three camps, Dem, GOP, and right leaning independent. The data from Pew shows that at a national level. You seem to fall firmly in the last group.

But I'd bet that the basic idea of people highly engaged in politics being ideological is seen in most if not all democracies. The two seem to go hand in hand.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #25156
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'll give you that there are largely three camps, Dem, GOP, and right leaning independent. The data from Pew shows that at a national level. You seem to fall firmly in the last group.

But I'd bet that the basic idea of people highly engaged in politics being ideological is seen in most if not all democracies. The two seem to go hand in hand.

I think people tend to focus more on where they disagree than where they agree. I share some traits with the right, but I also share some traits with the left wing and many where I strongly dislike both wings.

People also want to arrange people into groups. It must be genetic, and I'm not being sarcastic. I can think of evolutionary advantages to the strategy.

I probably seem like a right-leaner right now because I disagree with Obama on practically everything he's done as a president.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #25157
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just stumbled on the Jade Helm 15/Walmart/Martial law conspiracy.

Wow.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #25158
Thomkal
Head Coach

Seems like Conservative Republicans will try anything to prevent gay marriage from being legalized-including trying to stop the Supreme Court from even ruling on it:

GOP Rep. Has An Idea For How To Stop The Supreme Court From Affirming Marriage Equality
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #25159
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure that President Obama would sign that bill .
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #25160
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm sure that President Obama would sign that bill .

Oh yes i"m sure Just frustrating to see Congress work on stuff they know will get vetoed just so they can say I tried.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #25161
Kodos
Resident Alien

They're only interested in passing bills that most people don't want.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #25162
Edward64
Head Coach

I think the AG is a thankless job. When was the last time one of them really was loved?

Senate Makes History By Confirming Loretta Lynch As U.S. Attorney General
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Loretta Lynch was confirmed as U.S. attorney general on Thursday after months of GOP delays, making history by becoming the first African-American woman to hold the post.

Lynch was confirmed in the Senate 56 to 43. All Democrats voted for her, along with 10 Republicans: Kelly Ayotte (N.H.), Thad Cochran (Miss.), Susan Collins (Maine), Jeff Flake (Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Ron Johnson (Wis.), Mark Kirk (Ill.), Rob Portman (Ohio) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.).

Sen Ted Cruz (R-Texas), one of Lynch's loudest critics, was the only senator to miss the vote. Hours earlier, he railed against Lynch for being "unfit" for the job.
:
:
Republicans who opposed Lynch, who until now was the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, conceded they didn't doubt she was qualified for the job. Instead, they voted against her because of their anger over Obama's recent executive action on immigration, which would provide deportation relief for up to 1.8 million undocumented immigrants. The matter is currently tied up in a lawsuit. Lynch will defend the policy in her new role.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #25163
bob
College Starter

Does this turn into the next scandal?

Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation as Russians Pressed for Control of Uranium Company

Last edited by bob : 04-23-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: stupid link
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #25164
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation as Russians Pressed for Control of Uranium Company

Is Clinton a Democrat? If Yes, then don't worry about it. Just preface all articles with "Republican outrage" or "Conservative Critics say" and the crisis is averted.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 AM   #25165
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Rumors are swirling that Michigan Governor Rick Snyder will be part of the Republican primaries.

I can see the wing of the party that wants a "sane" candidate getting behind this guy, however he's going to have to answer question about why he signed off on Obamacare medicaid expansion.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #25166
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Is Clinton a Democrat? If Yes, then don't worry about it. Just preface all articles with "Republican outrage" or "Conservative Critics say" and the crisis is averted.

Or even Fox News doesn't buy into it.

Fox’s Chris Wallace confronts ‘Clinton Cash’ author: ‘You don’t have a single piece of evidence’
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #25167
Dutch
"Dutch"

Then you have your answer.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #25168
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Obama brought out his 'anger translator' last night at the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #25169
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

KHALEESI IS COMING TO WESTEROS!!

That was hilarious. Sorry Joe, looks like Obama is backing Hillary .
Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #25170
Edward64
Head Coach

That was pretty good.

I know its tradition and that everyone political/press is fair game but I am amazed at how bold some of the jabs are. I can't help but feel there would be some lasting bad feelings.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #25171
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Bernie Sanders is now set to enter the Democratic Primaries. This should make things interesting on the democratic side.

Bernie Sanders To Launch Presidential Campaign
Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #25172
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quite a ways from mayor of Burlington, VT.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #25173
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jade Helm conspiracies are my new addiction.

The TX Governor has the state guard monitoring whether or not the military is planning a takeover of Texas and now Rand Paul says he'll look into the possibility of a military takeover.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #25174
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Jade Helm conspiracies are my new addiction.

The TX Governor has the state guard monitoring whether or not the military is planning a takeover of Texas and now Rand Paul says he'll look into the possibility of a military takeover.

Rand Paul is thinking of taking over Texas?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #25175
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Bernie Sanders is now set to enter the Democratic Primaries. This should make things interesting on the democratic side.

Bernie Sanders To Launch Presidential Campaign

I'm all in with Bernie.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #25176
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I love Bernie, but he can't/won't win.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #25177
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news if true.

Isis leader incapacitated with suspected spinal injuries after air strike | World news | The Guardian
Quote:
The leader of the Islamic State (Isis), Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, remains incapacitated due to suspected spinal damage and is being treated by two doctors who travel to his hideout from the group’s stronghold of Mosul, the Guardian has learned.

More than two months after being injured in a US air strike in north-western Iraq, the self-proclaimed caliph is yet to resume command of the terror group that has been rampaging through Iraq and Syria since June last year. Three sources close to Isis have confirmed that Baghdadi’s wounds could mean he will never again lead the organisation.

Isis is now being led by a long-term senior official, Abu Alaa al-Afri, who had been appointed deputy leader when his predecessor was killed by an air strike late last year.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #25178
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Bad news for Chris Christie

David Wildstein, Ex-Port Authority Director, Pleads Guilty « CBS New York
Old 05-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #25179
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think the AG is a thankless job.

I'm reasonably sure you get "thanked" by the millions of dollars you make once you leave the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

You mean lobbying?

Quote:
Rumors are swirling that Michigan Governor Rick Snyder will be part of the Republican primaries.

I can see the wing of the party that wants a "sane" candidate getting behind this guy, however he's going to have to answer question about why he signed off on Obamacare medicaid expansion.

Broadly-speaking, I think it might be that "sanity" thing.

Quote:

Why? I love Bernie, but he has no chance and is not going to change the conversation a lot on the Democratic side.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #25180
Dutch
"Dutch"

Poor little fella...what's with all these ISIS leaders leaving the job so quickly? Good rogue terror state leadership is so hard to come by these days.

Keep up the good work, US military.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #25181
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm not convinced that Christie ordered it or had specific knowledge beforehand. I can believe some over zealous underlings did it and maybe told Christie afterwards.

Regardless, it doesn't seem Christie has any momentum now. The below link shows how much he has dropped since 2014

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-02-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #25182
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure the problems in the exchanges run by the state is a poor reflection of Obamacare itself but glad that the healthcare.gov system is stable/smooth enough where some states are considering dropping their own systems for it.

Almost half of Obamacare exchanges face financial struggles in the future - The Washington Post
Quote:
Nearly half of the 17 insurance marketplaces set up by the states and the District under President Obama’s health law are struggling financially, presenting state officials with an unexpected and serious challenge five years after the passage of the landmark Affordable Care Act.

Many of the online exchanges are wrestling with surging costs, especially for balky technology and expensive customer call centers — and tepid enrollment numbers. To ease the fiscal distress, officials are considering raising fees on insurers, sharing costs with other states and pressing state lawmakers for cash infusions. Some are weighing turning over part or all of their troubled marketplaces to the federal exchange, HealthCare.gov, which now works smoothly.
:
But for the recently completed open enrollment period, sign-ups for the state marketplaces rose a disappointing 12 percent, to 2.8 million people. That compared with a 61 percent increase for the federal exchange, to 8.8 million people, according to Avalere Health, a consulting firm. States with the smallest enrollment growth are among those facing the greatest financial problems.
:
When the ACA was enacted, Democratic governors pressed to create their own exchanges to signal their support for the law and to assert their own authority. Republican governors refused to set up exchanges as “a sort of badge of honor in opposing Obamacare,” said Larry Levitt, a senior vice president at the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. But now, decisions probably will be made on more pragmatic grounds. “It will come down to more of a dollar-and-cents decision,” he said.
:
Even if some state exchanges wind up handing the reins to HealthCare.gov, doing so is not free. Each exchange would have to be made compatible with the federal marketplace at a cost of about $10 million per exchange, Wadleigh said
Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #25183
Dutch
"Dutch"

It makes great fiscal sense to roll these services up to the federal level. Makes the feds look good and cuts states payroll costs. A few people at the state level are gonna need to start looking for work elsewhere, but that's nothing that welfare and Obamacare can't handle till they get on their feet again.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #25184
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

+1 to Dutch.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #25185
Dutch
"Dutch"

It was slightly in jest, but given the way things are it does make sense.

Edit: To clarify my poke at putting people on welfare/Obamacare was in jest...enterprising and standardizing stuff that can be standardized was not in jest.

Last edited by Dutch : 05-03-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #25186
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We'll get you to the dark side yet, Dutch.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #25187
Edward64
Head Coach

I just don't see Carly as a contender. Wonder if she is positioning for VP consideration or 2020. Either way, just don't see a ground swell of support for her. Probably just ego.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/politi...ons/index.html
Quote:
Carly Fiorina puts her time as CEO of Hewlett-Packard at the center of her qualifications for high office, but her critics quickly pounced on that record as she announced her campaign for president Monday.

Soon after Fiorina officially announced Monday morning that she would be running for the 2016 Republican nomination, social media began to buzz about carlyfiorina.org, a site criticizing the layoffs she oversaw at HP. The Democratic National Committee also took a similar shot at Fiorina's HP tenure.

The distraction resulting from carlyfiorina.org and the DNC assault is the earliest sign of the challenge the former Silicon Valley executive will face over her business record. Fiorina has never held public office (she unsuccessfully ran for Senate in California five years ago), making her chief executive experience at HP one of her strongest assets. But her critics are determined to also make it one of her biggest liabilities.

On carlyfiorina.org, white text against a black background reads: "Carly Fiorina failed to register this domain. So I'm using it to tell you how many people she laid off at Hewlett-Packard. It was this many." The words are followed by 30,000 sad faces, each one meant to represent an HP employee laid off under Fiorina's watch.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom and there's this: "And what does she say she would have done differently? 'I would have done them all faster.' --- Carly Fiorina." The quote is from an unflattering 2005 Fortune magazine profile of the former HP executive.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #25188
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

How does someone who ran a major company into the ground become a viable candidate for President? Like isn't there a successful female CEO that they could run instead?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #25189
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How does someone who ran a major company into the ground become a viable candidate for President? Like isn't there a successful female CEO that they could run instead?

Oh please that's socialist talk. The fact is she netted a $40 million golden parachute after ruining a company, unlike those thousands of schlubs that simply got laid off. That's proof that she was successful by Republican standards.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #25190
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Non-ironic headline: Pentagon Denies Plot to Take Over Texas : Political Wire
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #25191
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

For some reason the words "I'm not a dingo" are coming to mind...
Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #25192
Easy Mac

Of all the places the government actually wants, Texas is pretty low on the list.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #25193
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wal-Mart has now clarified that it's stores are not military distribution and/or civilian detention centers connected to a military takeover.

I really can't get enough of Jade Helm conspiracies.

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #25194
cartman
Death Herald

Too bad Bubba Wheels isn't still around. I'd love to hear his take on JADE HELM.

I finally figured out what JADE HELM stand for: Just Another Dumb-ass Exercise Helping Expose Lunatic Minds
Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #25195
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Chuck Norris joins Ted Cruz (and others) in ‘Operaton Jade Helm’ conspiracy watch - The Washington Post

Chuck Norris knows this isn't a training operation because no amount of training will help you fight Chuck Norris.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #25196
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So what's the deal with all these mouth breathing fools? Am I missing something or do we now finally have a full blown Idiocracy state?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #25197
miked
College Starter

When you have a sitting governor and senator riling up people, this will happen. As Jon Stewart said last night, newsflash Texas, the USA already does control your state (along with the other 49).
Old 05-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #25198
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think I found a day better than Pumpy Day!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #25199
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Huckabee is joining the republican circus.

Has a politician ever stepped away from politics for 8+ years and then won the presidency?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #25200
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the longest is Nixon, who was out of politics for 6 years.

Though Huckabee isn't even close to the politician Nixon was.