Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #2451
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - 7/10

A light, breezy romantic comedy starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams set against the background of 1940s London. I adore Adams and would watch her in anything; in fact, she's the reason why I even watched this film. Adams is her typical "happy go lucky" character and works well with McDormand's character, sort of a female "Chance" from "Being There." The film is short at an hour and a half and it felt as though I were almost watching a play. I also enjoyed Lee Pace, of "Pushing Daisies" fame, as one of three potential suitors for Ms. Adams' character. A chick flick worth watching for Ms. Adams.

Been thinking about seeing this for one reason: I think I have been a little in love with Amy Adams for about a year now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #2452
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Been thinking about seeing this for one reason: I think I have been a little in love with Amy Adams for about a year now.

Haha, me too. You'll like it if you like her.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #2453
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Although I admit it feels odd to almost give Traitor an 8 just one post after two of film's all time great entertainers get 8's from Lorena.

hah

My ratings weren't based on their performance, but the movie as a whole. I watch very few westerns so maybe there's more to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I started watching movies based on THIS LIST and THIS LISTand to see Casablanca rated so high, I guess I was expected more. Casablanca has actually been top 10 on lots of lists though, so yeah, all the hype and didn't get what I thought I would. Still have to watch the commentary though.

Last edited by Lorena : 09-02-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #2454
KWhit
Coordinator

Casablanca is one of my top 5 favorites. Depending on the day, I often consider it #1.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #2455
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have never seen Casablanca, and I don't know that I ever will unless it happens to be starting while I'm flicking through channels. Dunno why, I just have zero motivation to watch it.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #2456
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not sure if I posted a review here of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly... but I saw it for the first time a few months ago (maybe a year?)... I felt it dragged a ton in parts, and was overall too long. It was still pretty good in parts, but was disappointed overall.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #2457
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Casablanca - 8/10

Memorable lines, and Bogart was fantastic. I'm not entirely sure I'd put it top 10 of all-time. I'll probably have to watch the commentary to see what the big fuss is about.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - 8/10

Awesome wide-angle cinematography. At first I thought this movie was filmed in New Mexico, but it was actually filmed in some deserts in Spain. Pretty solid flick, but some parts sorta dragged for me, but it was still pretty good.

Spaghetti western for ya
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #2458
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
hah

My ratings weren't based on their performance, but the movie as a whole. I watch very few westerns so maybe there's more to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I started watching movies based on THIS LIST and THIS LISTand to see Casablanca rated so high, I guess I was expected more. Casablanca has actually been top 10 on lots of lists though, so yeah, all the hype and didn't get what I thought I would. Still have to watch the commentary though.

Casablanca is the shit. I didn't realize there was so much humor in it. Huphrey Bogart has a ton of great lines "are my eyes really brown?", it's just the perfect romance/comedy, and it happened 70 years ago. Do yourself a favor, and watch it Groundhog.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #2459
Kodos
Resident Alien

Casablanca is definitely in my top 10 of all time. It's what started my Ingrid Bergman phase during the early- to mid-90s.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #2460
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Spaghetti western for ya

I think The Good The Bad and The Ugly was the 3rd western I've seen and while watching it, I started to wonder where it was filmed so I checked it out in wikipedia and found out it was one of those spaghetti westerns. Didn't know what it was 'til yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Casablanca is the shit. I didn't realize there was so much humor in it. Huphrey Bogart has a ton of great lines "are my eyes really brown?", it's just the perfect romance/comedy, and it happened 70 years ago. Do yourself a favor, and watch it Groundhog.

Hah, yeah. That line made me chuckle and the "I'm a drunkard" line did too.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #2461
rowech
Pro Starter

Count me as another massive Casablanca fan. It's definitely top 5 for me.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #2462
korme
Go Reds

Waitress (2007) -A small-town waitress (Keri Russell) gets knocked up to her abusive husband, whom she loathes. She finds happiness with her new doctor. She is also a pie queen, making up new pies daily and personally naming them after current events in her life. There is a lot of dry humor in the movie, and it delivers well. 7/10

Incidentally, the director/co-star Adrienne Shelly was found murdered nearing the end of production. Sad.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #2463
SFL Cat
College Starter

African Queen 9/10

Oldie but goodie. Bogart's best ever acting job IMO (although he was great in Casablanca too). The chemistry between Bogart and Hepburn is magic in this one.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 09-08-2008 at 06:12 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #2464
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mouth to Mouth - 7/10
A run-away girl finds a new place to call home, and this movie is about her, the new home, traveling across Europe, and her mom. There's some weird camera work in this, where I was confused what was going on. Part-way through the movie I felt it got decent, and I ended up feeling for some of the characters. Can't complain about the end either, so overall not a bad movie.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #2465
Subby
lolzcat

Pineapple Express - 9/10

Highly entertaining. I have a weakness for movies that make me laugh so hard it hurts.

Danny McBride as Red may be one of my favorite all time movie characters.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #2466
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
African Queen 9/10

Oldie but goodie. Bogart's best ever acting job IMO (although he was great in Casablanca too). The chemistry between Bogart and Hepburn is magic in this one.

Cool, i'm gonna have to check it out. I'm gonna watch The Maltese Falcon sometime this week.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #2467
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cool, i'm gonna have to check it out. I'm gonna watch The Maltese Falcon sometime this week.

I've never been a huge fan of that movie. Never quite sure why.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #2468
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've never been a huge fan of that movie. Never quite sure why.

Which one, Maltese Falcon? I can see why.

The Maltese Falcon - 6.5/10

Meh, solid film.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #2469
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Which one, Maltese Falcon? I can see why.

The Maltese Falcon - 6.5/10

Meh, solid film.

Yes. It's never even come close to living up to Casablanca or for that matter African Queen. My two favorite "old" movies remain The Philadelphia Story and Arsenic and Old Lace. The Philadelphia Story, in my opinion, is one of the must underrated movies ever. It is at least partially the basis for just about any romantic comedy. Stewart, Grant, and Hepburn at their finest.

Last edited by rowech : 09-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #2470
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Love Guru - 5/10
I think I laughed out loud once. Stuff was happening that was just ridiculous and unfunny, and I think I'm a pretty forgiving person with comedies. Justin Timberlake was alright, but as a whole movie it sucked.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #2471
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hackers - 7.5/10
Haven't seen this beginning to end before, and I must say there's quite a bit of cheese... but I was expecting some anyway. Still some cool parts though, and overall it was enjoyable.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #2472
Pyser
Pro Rookie

vicky cristina barcelona - 7/10

i really enjoyed this movie. it was nothing groundbreaking, but it was mostly realistic with good characters and fantastic eye candy.

burn after reading -5.5/10

"minor" coen brothers about sums it up. im a little hesitant, though, because i hated the big lebowski at first, and it took a few viewings. still, this was way better than ladykillers...and probably around the same entertainment as o, brother, which i saw once and tried a 2nd time, didnt like, and will never watch again. but ive been wrong before.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #2473
MikeVic
Head Coach

Baby Mama - 8/10
I enjoyed this movie and laughed out loud a couple of times. I think the story is strong for a comedy, and I felt there were a couple of tense/dramatic moments that were then quickly made lighter with humour (which I like a lot). The cast did well too. I think Tiny Fey and Amy Poehler are great.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #2474
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The Love Guru - 2/10. This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If it was not for Jessica Alba and the hope that Mike Meyers could be funny I would not have sat through the entire movie...
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #2475
MikeVic
Head Coach

I agree Doug. My quick review is up a few posts. Alba wasn't in it enough to make that a saving grace for me either.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #2476
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah even though the first one was ok, I'm still gonna watch Mallrats and Clerks 2.

Okay, finally saw it

Clerks 2 - 7/10

I liked the way it began, and the way it ended, but overall, I think it was marginally better than the first one. I'll agree with Karlifornia that the acting was better, but only a little IMO.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #2477
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah even though the first one was ok, I'm still gonna watch Mallrats and Clerks 2.

And finally saw Mallrats.

Mallrats - 6.5/10

I must be missing something from these movies because I didn't think they were LOL funny. Mallrats had its moments and it's a solid movie overall, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Last edited by Lorena : 09-26-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #2478
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
And finally saw Mallrats.

Mallrats - 6.5/10

I must be missing something from these movies because I didn't think they were LOL funny. Mallrats had its moments and it's a solid movie overall, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Mallrats still ranks as my favorite out of all of them.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #2479
tarcone
Coordinator

All The Kings Men (1949)-- 9/10

This is a great movie. Willy Stark is a character that I feel most politicians are like these days.
I highly recommend it. I watch it every time it comes on the TV.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #2480
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Dukes of Hazzard - 3/10
Whomever wrote the script must have never seen the original series and just felt he had to jump on the re-make bandwagon and use it for an excuse to film Simpson's seduction scenes.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #2481
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The Love Guru - 5/10
I think I laughed out loud once. Stuff was happening that was just ridiculous and unfunny, and I think I'm a pretty forgiving person with comedies. Justin Timberlake was alright, but as a whole movie it sucked.

Wow, 5 out of 10 for that pile of crap is VERY generous. Mike Myers should go into hiding and think about what he has done. 0/10. (The movie, not your review)
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #2482
Lorena
Unregistered

The African Queen - 8.5/10

Bogart saves Hepburn after her brother dies and the whole movie is them on a river boat. Didn't seem like a lot was happening but their performances were just great it didn't make the movie slow at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Yes. It's never even come close to living up to Casablanca or for that matter African Queen. My two favorite "old" movies remain The Philadelphia Story and Arsenic and Old Lace. The Philadelphia Story, in my opinion, is one of the must underrated movies ever. It is at least partially the basis for just about any romantic comedy. Stewart, Grant, and Hepburn at their finest.

Yeah, I hear ya, The Philadelphia Story is a fantastic movie.

Last edited by Lorena : 09-28-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #2483
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Wow, 5 out of 10 for that pile of crap is VERY generous. Mike Myers should go into hiding and think about what he has done. 0/10. (The movie, not your review)

I almost wanna rent that movie just to see how awful it is.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #2484
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
All The Kings Men (1949)-- 9/10

This is a great movie. Willy Stark is a character that I feel most politicians are like these days.
I highly recommend it. I watch it every time it comes on the TV.

Cool, gonna check it out.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #2485
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post

Haha, It would've gotten a very low score from me if not for Timberlake's character. And like I said, there was one part I laughed at... but I don't remember what it was now.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #2486
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Haha, It would've gotten a very low score from me if not for Timberlake's character. And like I said, there was one part I laughed at... but I don't remember what it was now.

It was so funny you can't remember it eh? lol
Old 09-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #2487
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, man, Steve, you and I don't disagree often, but we do here. Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite Westerns, and I would recommend it to anyone. Just to see Henry Fonda as a bad guy is worth it alone, not to mention Jason Robards as one of the more awesome Western characters I have ever seen (with his own music, to boot), and Charles Bronson playing one of his most memorable roles (only Magnificent Seven ranks higher, IMO, among his pre-vigilante days). The music and cinematography are fantasic for a 1968 movie, and I loved the epic feel. Claudia Cardinale was pretty hot, too. Even as a fan of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and such, I still feel this movie is Leone's best spaghetti western.

Bronson's role was offered to Clint and to James Coburn before Chuck took it (interesting factoid).

This one's a 10/10 for me.

I thought I would re-post this here from the UK's Empire Top 500 thread.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #2488
MikeVic
Head Coach

Fantastic Four - 8/10
Haven't seen either movie yet, so I watched the first one this afternoon. I was expecting a lot worse, and actually enjoyed it. Some funny stuff, good action, alright story. I don't know much about their origin, so I can't compare how close they stayed to the actual story.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #2489
Lorena
Unregistered

Cloverfield - 8.5/10

The visual effects in this movie were pretty damn awesome. I thought the shakiness of the camera would bother me but it really didn't, it added chaos and I felt like I was there. I thought the acting was really good too... I really felt their anguish.

Good experimental film and if there's a sequel, I'm definitely watching it on the big screen.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #2490
korme
Go Reds

Eagle Eye - Pretty interesting movie, if not a bit predictable and with some plot holes. Went with a bunch of dudes and we all seemed to like it. 7/10
Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #2491
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Payback - director's cut 8/10

Liked the original, but really liked this version. Much better IMHO. Greg Henry was awesome as Val. Mel did a good job too and I didn't once expect him to do his 3 stooges shit.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #2492
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Shoot Em' Up - 2/10. Dear sweet Jesus. I love a good shooter, but this was just bad. Bad dialogue, bad acting, stupid fight scenes. And the fucking carrots. What is with the f'n carrots? Is Monica Bellucci THAT bad as an actress? The only thing saving this is Paul Giamatti who made me believe that I wasn't watching a complete shitfest.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - 7.5/10. If you liked the first, should still like this one. If you didn't like the first.. avoid because you won't like this one.

Letters from Iwo Jima - 8.5/10. I would not have wanted to be a Japanese soldier... I've had this in my queue for sometime and decided to watch this before Flag of Our Fathers just because this one seemed to get better overall reviews anyways. Generally sticks to the Japanese characters point of view during and doesn't focus on the actually fight.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #2493
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow,I loved Shoot 'Em Up. It's supposed to be cheesy.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #2494
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is with the f'n carrots?

He's supposed to be like Bugs Bunny.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #2495
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Shoot Em' Up - 2/10. Dear sweet Jesus. I love a good shooter, but this was just bad. Bad dialogue, bad acting, stupid fight scenes. And the fucking carrots. What is with the f'n carrots? Is Monica Bellucci THAT bad as an actress? The only thing saving this is Paul Giamatti who made me believe that I wasn't watching a complete shitfest.

Aww.. I loved Shoot Em' Up, one of the cheesiest, most ridiculous movie I've seen.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #2496
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Volcano- 3/10 I suppose at the time it was made the special effects were good but the movie was just bad, really bad.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #2497
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Aww.. I loved Shoot Em' Up, one of the cheesiest, most ridiculous movie I've seen.

Normally I love cheesy movies, but this one.. I don't know.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #2498
Pyser
Pro Rookie

try watching it drunk, or with a group of people.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #2499
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ironman - 7/10

I just watched this for the first time. Maybe it was all the hype that everybody said it was a 10/10 and incredibly awesome, maybe it just couldn't live up to that. I thought it was fairly average. I was falling asleep in the beginning, to be honest. Certainly it wasn't the tour de force I was expecting..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #2500
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Promotion - 7/10
Nothing really stood out, but I thought it was a solid movie. I like a few of the actors/actresses, and liked how there wasn't really a "bad guy" that you want to see fail. Some funny stuff, but I don't think I laughed out loud even once.