Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #2451
Illini Boy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkem View Post
Good idea, but I'm not sure if HR will be willing to create a separate sim engine for the high school levels. If you create high school freshman, their ratings would need to change and their stats would need to change accordingly with age. Factor in the competition levels and lineups (including the non-recruitable scrubs and/or ghosts), I'd think it'd be difficult to execute properly over a four year span. It'd be a monstrous database too.

I don't believe you would have to create a completely separate sim engine just for the high school levels. It's not like every high school in the game has to have 15 players all with correct lineups. You could just have it where their current/potential ratings make up their stats. I also don't believe you would have to recruit each kid each month like seniors, but you could offer them scholarships as juniors like in real life. I just think it would be nice to be able to look down the road and be able to say "hmmm...the 2014 class looks loaded and a lot of the recruits really like my school! I better save a scholarship for that class instead of using it on a crappy international kid that year that I know nothing about."

Thanks,
Illini

Last edited by Illini Boy : 05-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Illini Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #2452
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Right now I'm hammering away at the pro game

Excellent. With DDSPB3 once again not allowing the user to do what they want with the game they purchased (sim a few seasons and take over whichever team I want) I'm starving for a pro hoops game and haven't played one in years. Will be all over this one.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #2453
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

FBCB Head Coach Salary Calculator

From the department of ridiculous ideas comes this simple spreadsheet mod that might help make head coaching decisions if you're a God-mode player like me or even if you're just trying to evaluate a mid-major job with a major conference gig a la real life.

There's incentives for post-season appearances, boosts for better leagues to offer bigger contracts that include guarantees that I modeled after real-life contracts and even small boosts for your contract having more players who are good students.

It's a completely academic and dorky exercise, but it might be fun for someone somewhere (like that guy who a few months ago wanted HR to add coach salaries to the game, lol) so I decided to share it.

It's attached and you can open it in Google Docs, Excel or Open Office Calc.

I edited the original file with one that I made with newer tweaks that make salaries more realistic. Also added a mechanism for figuring out where a career assistant coach ought to go, if you're like me (no one is, I know) and play in God mode controlling things like that sometimes.
Attached Files
File Type: xls coach_machine_2012.xls (44.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #2454
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
From the department of ridiculous ideas comes this simple spreadsheet mod that might help make head coaching decisions if you're a God-mode player like me or even if you're just trying to evaluate a mid-major job with a major conference gig a la real life.

There's incentives for post-season appearances, boosts for better leagues to offer bigger contracts that include guarantees that I modeled after real-life contracts and even small boosts for your contract having more players who are good students.

It's a completely academic and dorky exercise, but it might be fun for someone somewhere (like that guy who a few months ago wanted HR to add coach salaries to the game, lol) so I decided to share it.

It's attached and you can open it in Google Docs, Excel or Open Office Calc.

For a more expedient version, I'm actively editing mine on Google Docs, because I'm tempted to add things like career win percentage/win/loss record or whatever else I manage to come up with in the future to help you figure out what kind of job you can take after a particular period of success/time with a program.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #2455
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So in a fit of insanity, I'm working on a D3 college basketball mod. Upon trying to load the game, I get the error "input past end of file."

But I don't see anything below the last line...what might that be?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #2456
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
So in a fit of insanity, I'm working on a D3 college basketball mod. Upon trying to load the game, I get the error "input past end of file."

No idea...I've started back tinkering with the head coach file again and hope to have one completed for the 2012-13 season. Rosters may not happen...too much happening to get them done.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #2457
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

First thing to check is make sure the first line of each file shows the correct number of entries in the file. Otherwise send them to [email protected] and I'll take a look.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #2458
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

if there was a best support/customer service award for indie developers, you would win every single year.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #2459
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

When I did the D2 mod I had the same issue. If I remember correctly I had the wrong # of teams called our in the cell A1. I might be wrong though, it's been a while. Hopefully HR can confirm what the issue is. Looking forward to checking this out someday!

Last edited by Balldog : 06-23-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #2460
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
When I did the D2 mod I had the same issue. If I remember correctly I had the wrong # of teams called our in the cell A1. I might be wrong though, it's been a while. Hopefully HR can confirm what the issue is. Looking forward to checking this out someday!

Thanks to HR and a bit of sleep, I seem to have figured out where I screwed up. I've managed to get all of the teams into the right conferences. I'm about to test a fast-sim now to make sure that it actually works, then we'll upload it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #2461
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

D3 FBCB Mod

So here's a crazy fit of crazy in the form of D3 mod. It's not perfect, but it'll work. If you're looking for a different kind of recruiting/gaming experience, you should try this out.

Here's what it has:

- Teams in the right conferences, including upcoming conference realignment. All 420 or so D3 men's teams. There's a possibility I missed a team or two, but I've been spending two days perfecting it and I think I managed to fill the few I missed the first time.

- Team colors are not accurate, but mascots and cities are correct. (Including that one stubborn D3 school in Virginia with no mascot at all.) I wasn't patient to scour for logos either. Too. many. teams.

To make the setup workable, here are some suggestions as you start:

1. Fast-sim at least 5 years before you want to start. This will make sure to rid the game of the talent it starts off with (too much) and will begin to make things a bit more D3-like.

2. All of the conferences are set to 1 prestige on purpose. Don't allow conference prestige changes, as it'll make sure most schools don't have a lot to spend.

3. Randomize team prestige: It's D3. While there are certainly some juggernaut teams, I figure it's better to just keep it random.

4. Transfers play immediately. Just like real life.

5. Players never leave early. Again, just like real life. D3 guys don't exactly go pro unless they flunk out and/or occasionally head to their homelands to play pro ball.

The D3 tournament is actually just 62 teams, but I've simmed my with 64 teams rather than 68, though you could easily make a case for it given how many teams there are. With 40+ conferences, not a ton of space for at-large bids. I have a lot of the conferences playing smaller tournaments, some don't have anything other than a tiebreaker. You can alter that at your own discretion though.

So yeah, that's the story. I've fast-simmed and been able to edit with no problems. I created a customized height file that I've included in the zip that will make the players shorter eventually. The idea is to simulate D3 better in that respect and why I implore you to sim a few years before starting to play in earnest.

Anyway, here it is.

I made an update before anyone downloaded it, because the longitude/latitudes were off. Right now, I've set them to make sure they're all in the correct state...but not every program is in the exact city of its school mostly because it was too tedious. If you take over a program, check their exact city if that's important to you for immersion or whatever.

Also, I've altered all of the program default prestige and academics. Now all of them are set to Ivy League academics. Not because all D3 schools are academically worth a damn, but rather, to make it harder to recruit to simulate D3 recruiting. Also, the prestige is set to a default value across the board so if you'd rather not randomize prestige and want to make it a more organic start, you can do that by turning off randomize team prestige at the start of your save file.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-23-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #2462
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
So here's a crazy fit of crazy in the form of D3 mod. It's not perfect, but it'll work. If you're looking for a different kind of recruiting/gaming experience, you should try this out.

Here's what it has:

- Teams in the right conferences, including upcoming conference realignment. All 420 or so D3 men's teams. There's a possibility I missed a team or two, but I've been spending two days perfecting it and I think I managed to fill the few I missed the first time.

- Team colors are not accurate, but mascots and cities are correct. (Including that one stubborn D3 school in Virginia with no mascot at all.) I wasn't patient to scour for logos either. Too. many. teams.

1. Fast-sim at least 5 years before you want to start. This will make sure to rid the game of the talent it starts off with (too much) and will begin to make things a bit more D3-like.

2. All of the conferences are set to 1 prestige on purpose. Don't allow conference prestige changes, as it'll make sure most schools don't have a lot to spend.

3. Randomize team prestige: It's D3. While there are certainly some juggernaut teams, I figure it's better to just keep it random.

5. Players never leave early. Again, just like real life. D3 guys don't exactly go pro unless they flunk out and/or occasionally head to their homelands to play pro ball.

The D3 tournament is actually just 62 teams, but I've simmed my with 64 teams rather than 68, though you could easily make a case for it given how many teams there are. With 40+ conferences, not a ton of space for at-large bids. I have a lot of the conferences playing smaller tournaments, some don't have anything other than a tiebreaker. You can alter that at your own discretion though.

So yeah, that's the story. I've fast-simmed and been able to edit with no problems. I created a customized height file that I've included in the zip that will make the players shorter eventually. The idea is to simulate D3 better in that respect and why I implore you to sim a few years before starting to play in earnest.

Anyway, here it is.

I made an update before anyone downloaded it, because the longitude/latitudes were off. Right now, I've set them to make sure they're all in the correct state...but not every program is in the exact city of its school mostly because it was too tedious. If you take over a program, check their exact city if that's important to you for immersion or whatever.

Also, I've altered all of the program default prestige and academics. Now all of them are set to Ivy League academics. Not because all D3 schools are academically worth a damn, but rather, to make it harder to recruit to simulate D3 recruiting. Also, the prestige is set to a default value across the board so if you'd rather not randomize prestige and want to make it a more organic start, you can do that by turning off randomize team prestige at the start of your save file.

Thanks for this, sounds like a lot of fun and will get me to finally take the plunge on the game.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #2463
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Excellent!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #2464
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

So, where is this D2 mod?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #2465
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
So, where is this D2 mod?

Buried on one of the backpages...I was wondering where it was too.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - FBCB2 discussion: Full version now available
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #2466
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - FBCB2 discussion: Full version now available

Thanks. Time to take my NWMSU Bearcats to some titles.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #2467
Radii
Head Coach

Florida

Florida ends the regular season 6-10 in the SEC, 13-17 overall, after a run through the SEC tournament they are 17-17 overall and thanks to a tough schedule their RPI is 55th. They get a 16 seed. Some under .500 logic gone wild perhaps?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #2468
britrock88
Pro Starter

When somebody gets the itch, ping me and I'll update the teams and conferences CSVs for the 2014 D1 alignment.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #2469
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

HR actually put them in the game in the default leagues folder under 2014 already, they just need a few modest tweaks to be accurate for that timeframe given the new changes announced since that last update was created.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #2470
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A 12, 13 and 1s on my current Final Four. 10, 11, 3 and 6 were the other four seeds in the Elite 8. Crazy, crazy year. Especially the 13-seed team isn't even that special of a club. They're just on a VCU-like tear through the tournament.

Fun to see.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #2471
bryce
High School Varsity

Another suggestion for any new version (and/or the NBA game): when a player gets hurt during a game, it'd be nice to get a glimpse of the severity right then and there. I coach all my games and hate having to finish out the game to get an idea of how bad the news may be.

Having said that, it should be accurate. I don't want it to be random during the game and then have nothing to do with the actual injury news afterwards. To see "He's limping off, but it doesn't look that severe" during the game, but then "Broken clavicle, out for 40 days" after the game doesn't add anything. But to see "He can't put any weight on his leg and is grimacing in pain" would lead us to believe a broken foot or torn ACL is around the corner.

All of that to say if the algorithm or whatever it is that decides the injury runs after the game is simmed and there's no real way to make this happen, I'd say don't add it. But if the injury determination can be run during the game, it'd be nice to see a glimpse of what to expect...

Last edited by bryce : 07-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #2472
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Something I've wanted added for awhile now is the conference name on the History>Team Performance screen. I usually play with full conference movement, so teams bounce around. When I look at a school's history, I can't see what conference they were in each year, or how they rose or fell.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #2473
britrock88
Pro Starter

Has anyone ever tried running a 4-guard lineup a la Villanova? I'd like to get more raw talent on the floor, but I'm wondering how much the game engine might pound a 6'2", 185 freshman playing the 4. We can run the 2-3, put the one true forward in the middle, and have guards at all the outside spots.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #2474
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've started again with a small school recently and given how much easier it is to get useful guards than bigs with a low prestige, it's something that has crossed my mind... Would be interested to hear how it pans out for someone.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #2475
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I almost always end up starting two point guards, a shooting guard, small forward and power forward/center.

We generally end up with less turnovers and more assists this way but sacrifice a little on the boards and defense in the paint.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #2476
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm kicking around setting up a fast-sim FBCB league in the vein of FOOL/SLOP (OOTP) ilk. Basically all of the humans would play in the same conference, rather than spread out across the diaspora. It might be a fun way to monitor recruiting, test things you'd never try in a traditional league and sim a bunch of seasons really fast.

I'll really wait to flesh out the details until I figure out who might be interested. There could be the possibility of making it a D2 league, a D3 league or playing women's basketball. The latter of which I imagine will get me absolutely no takers, so forget I said it.

I have a few takers already, but...figured I'd ping folks and see if anyone would down for the cause. Once I know who we have, we can nail down specifics and get going.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #2477
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

What is the most recent version of the game? April 25, 2012, v.2.33? Going to finally boot this game up again.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #2478
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
What is the most recent version of the game? April 25, 2012, v.2.33? Going to finally boot this game up again.

Yes and here's a link to that post since it's really buried and otherwise hard to find for future people who might wade in these waters wondering where.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #2479
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Yes and here's a link to that post since it's really buried and otherwise hard to find for future people who might wade in these waters wondering where.

Thanks!
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #2480
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The absolute latest build can pretty much always be found here:

Latest Beta Patch Here - Grey Dog Software
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #2481
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Might be a good idea to throw that on top of the OP, HR
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #2482
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Just a heads-up that I'll be posting an updated set of logos and the teams.csv spreadsheet (for school color corrections) soon - I'll include a link here when I do so.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2483
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:

Here's what it has:

Anyway, here it is.

How do you use the file? Thanks!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #2484
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
How do you use the file? Thanks!

\Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\leaguedata

create a folder named D3 and save the contents of that zip file into that folder.

Then load D3 up, create a new coach and begin playing.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2485
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
\Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\leaguedata

create a folder named D3 and save the contents of that zip file into that folder.

Then load D3 up, create a new coach and begin playing.

I saved it in that folder, but it doesn't show up when I tried to pick the league file.

It also doesn't show up when I try to load the file from the load screen.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #2486
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Looks like the mod doesn't include a tourneys.csv file so you'll need to copy one from one of the other leagues. The league won't show up when starting a new game unless all three csv files are present.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #2487
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Updated logo pack and teams.csv files uploaded to HR's site:

http://www.fbbgames.com/forum/viewto...p=39580#p39580
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #2488
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Looks like the mod doesn't include a tourneys.csv file so you'll need to copy one from one of the other leagues. The league won't show up when starting a new game unless all three csv files are present.

Oops.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #2489
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

I am finally getting around to installing FBCB2 onto my new laptop and just now realized this link was to an older version of the D2 Mod. This link included some updates and logos...if anyone is interested

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #2490
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In my dynasty kid is a 4 year starter for my squad and a scoring machine. Just over 2800 career points putting him on par with Larry Bird. Goes undrafted. Found that interesting.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #2491
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
In my dynasty kid is a 4 year starter for my squad and a scoring machine. Just over 2800 career points putting him on par with Larry Bird. Goes undrafted. Found that interesting.

It is fairly random. I've saved and reloaded before the draft and seen my guy go from 14th to undrafted in the same year.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #2492
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I ran some tests and the randomness factor for the draft results was having way too big of an impact. Most recent build is now:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2310.exe

Version 2.3.10 (11/05/12)
Changes:
*Reduced the randomness factor of the draft results

Version 2.3.9 (09/28/12)
Fixes:
*Conference tournies with less than 6 teams shouldn't be set to 0 teams when starting a new game.

Version 2.3.8 (09/26/12)
Changes:
*Added support for 3, 4, and 5 team conference tourneys.
*Added support for 14 teams - 19 games and 10 teams - 13 games conference schedules

Version 2.3.7 (08/31/12)
Fixes:
*Added code to ensure the 9 team double bye conference tourney has 5 scheduled days when starting a new game.

Version 2.3.6 (08/31/12)
Fixes:
*Removed max length on team box in coach file coach editor.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 11-05-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #2493
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Uh wow

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #2494
britrock88
Pro Starter

HR! HR! HR!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #2495
Groundhog
Coordinator

Awesome, thanks HR!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #2496
henry296
College Starter

Just had one of the craziest first round in the NCAA tournament. There were 2 16s, 1 15 and all 4 14 seeds who won in the first round. I was one of the 16s with my 17-15 (RPI around 130) Navy squad beating the the #5 ranked Cal by 6 points.

My team can be very streaky. I have a top 35 offensive efficiency team, but my team defense is in the 300s.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #2497
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

That's not what I want to read lol. I've got some ideas about why that happens though.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #2498
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think one thing to keep in mind is that we've all seen a hell of a lot of FBCB tourney brackets since this game was released.... like, many many many many times the amount of brackets that have ever occured in real life. I don't mind these things happening rarely because, hey, it's not impossible, and there are likely valid reasons behind why these teams upset the others.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #2499
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
That's not what I want to read lol. I've got some ideas about why that happens though.

Brian - I didn't mean it to be negative, but provide the necessary feedback. For all the years, I've played I get the feeling there is a little too much variance in performance. Even for my average team I get more worried when I'm playing a 1-8 type team in the non-conference because I feel like that is the game when everything will go wrong.

I mostly sim, but I thing I've noticed when watching my team play is that the AI coach is much more willing to bring back players with 2 fouls in the first half and then the pick up their 3rd foul in the first half. When this happens to a star player, it can really cause a team to struggle.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #2500
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think one thing to keep in mind is that we've all seen a hell of a lot of FBCB tourney brackets since this game was released.... like, many many many many times the amount of brackets that have ever occured in real life. I don't mind these things happening rarely because, hey, it's not impossible, and there are likely valid reasons behind why these teams upset the others.

I think this is really they key. I've simmed a ton and have had all kinds of results of varying degrees.