Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2024, 08:11 AM   #2451
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would love to hear what Brian's take on the best messaging and policy would be for those five bullet points that he listed.

The one about trans kids in sports is tough one. Do you ban trans from existing? Do you let MtF participate in male sports and FtM participate in female sports? Do you ban trans kids from sports altogether? Sounds like we need some laws and legal challenges to determine these things.

The other four, in my opinion, are not strange to discuss, take positions on, and potentially work on legislation on. If you want to prioritize jobs/profits/stocks (and I don't think those are bad things to prioritize) over the environment, that is a position. I don't think it is a cut and dry position. The same with the rest.

I want to know what he thinks the best messaging is for these things.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 08:14 AM   #2452
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Brian's take on the 'weird' discourse is awfully similar to super weird Matt Walsh's take. That's a logical fallacy of some sort but illustrative of something.

x.com

It’s culture war BS and it’s all they have because once they start discussing policies such as inspecting female high school athletes genitalia they are exposed for just how weird their actual policies are as opposed to someone wanting to live a weird lifestyle that doesn’t effect anyone but them.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 08:14 AM   #2453
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I would love to hear what Brian's take on the best messaging and policy would be for those five bullet points that he listed.

The one about trans kids in sports is tough one. Do you ban trans from existing? Do you let MtF participate in male sports and FtM participate in female sports? Do you ban trans kids from sports altogether? Sounds like we need some laws and legal challenges to determine these things.

The other four, in my opinion, are not strange to discuss, take positions on, and potentially work on legislation on. If you want to prioritize jobs/profits/stocks (and I don't think those are bad things to prioritize) over the environment, that is a position. I don't think it is a cut and dry position. The same with the rest.

I want to know what he thinks the best messaging is for these things.

There was a FtM wrestler that was forced to compete in women's wrestling in Texas a couple years. He dominated. There's some kind of weird misogyny at play in right wing circles where FtM is never considered.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 08:18 AM   #2454
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It boggles me that your response to the weirdness of things like this:

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/ne...bound-and-tied

is "Some minorities favor stronger immigration restrictions by strong margins."

Last edited by Passacaglia : 07-31-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 08:23 AM   #2455
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Actual quote on air from Jesse Watters, a Fox News host:

Quote:
And I heard the scientists say the other day that when a man votes for a woman, he actually transitions into a woman.

Can't wait to hear the "both sides" rebuttal to this/
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 08:23 AM   #2456
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It’s culture war BS and it’s all they have because once they start discussing policies such as inspecting female high school athletes genitalia they are exposed for just how weird their actual policies are as opposed to someone wanting to live a weird lifestyle that doesn’t effect anyone but them.

Not to mention, no democrats are in favor of forcing anyone to DO those things -- it's more of a "live and let live" kind of thing. All the things Republicans are in favor of here involve government intervention. Like ksyrup was saying, so much for the party of personal freedom.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:32 AM   #2457
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
There was a FtM wrestler that was forced to compete in women's wrestling in Texas a couple years. He dominated. There's some kind of weird misogyny at play in right wing circles where FtM is never considered.

What is FtM?
Old 07-31-2024, 08:36 AM   #2458
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I didn't know that, but that is where my thoughts went. It is a complex issue and it is hard for me to come to a conclusion that doesn't lead to someone losing some level of liberty. It either is unfair to allow trans kids to participate or unfair that some physically gifted trans kids are potentially going to dominate which lessens the experience of other kids.

I don't think Dems have done a great job of coming up with any kind of solution or compromise on this. I don't know if there is a good, fair one.

I think most Republicans default to saying that transgender folks should not be able to participate because it is a mental health issue (most mental health experts don't believe this to be the case, but they once did), it isn't fair (it also isn't fair that some kids have personal trainers, dietitians, go to camps, play year round, have better equipment, better coaching, have parents that are willing to drive them and pay money whenever, etc.), or "the Bible says..." or it is morally wrong or "not what God intended" (there are records of transgender folks in nearly every society regardless of culture, even dating back past 2000 years before Christianity existed - plus a lot of folks don't believe in God or don't believe in the same God), or "they can't procreate, so it is wrong" (neither can people above or below a certain age, people with fertility/health issues, etc.).

I truly do think it is a really tough issue and hard to determine what is "fair" with this.

And also, youth sports is not in my top 100 issues to be concerned about since there is inherent inequity with it. Check out high school football fields and coaching salaries in the state of Texas versus those in places like rural WV or Kentucky. In my area, high school sports are almost completely dominated by the kids whose parents had the resources to allow them to play year round sports and go to camps and have private lessons. It is just not something that impacts my life enough to make it a priority, but if we are going to try to make it fair without looking like we are not just picking on trans kids, that could be a slippery slope and traditionally one that conservatives generally don't like (see affirmative action and DEI initiatives).

Last edited by Swaggs : 07-31-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:37 AM   #2459
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
What is FtM?

Female to male
Old 07-31-2024, 09:06 AM   #2460
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The first and probably last time I agree with Matt Walsh and it is telling that he is trying to convince the GOP how stupid they sound attacking cultural icons while having Hulk Hogan introduce Trump at the RNC.

Old 07-31-2024, 09:08 AM   #2461
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Interesting and makes sense

It is pretty amazing how the GOP has convinced huge swaths of people boys are playing in girls sports is some widespread problem while the infant mortality rate skyrockets but everything is fine.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:45 AM   #2462
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Even if there was some group of hypothetical voters that are absolutely fine with the GoP slinging hate at full volume for 7 years, but will be offended by the Dems playing any kind of offense for 3 months (there isn't), those dozens of hypocrites surely shouldn't be who the Dems tailor their campaign towards.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-31-2024 at 09:47 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 10:01 AM   #2463
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
as opposed to someone wanting to live a weird lifestyle that doesn’t effect anyone but them.

My transgender daughter does have a weird lifestyle. I don't really understand it. It seems like it just makes her life harder, when her life was already unusually hard because of her autism. She was already socially isolated to a large degree, and being transgender cost her some of her few friends. Someone explained it to me as you're never going to understand why they want to be a female, but as long as you accept it and support them, then things are fine. She's happier as a girl. We accept and support her as best we can.

As for the former boys competing against girls, that doesn't seem fair to me. There's no great solution. But maybe, at the end of the day, sports aren't all that important. I feel like the "fairest" solution is to compete against boys, but I realize that's not a happy situation for the transgender girl who wants to be regarded like other females. It's tricky for sure.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-31-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 10:08 AM   #2464
larrymcg421
Head Coach

These AP-NORC Favorable/Unfavorable polls are interesting...

Biden - 42/54
Kamala - 46/47
Trump - 41/57
Vance - 27/40

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 10:15 AM   #2465
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I struggle with the suggestion that savvy male athletes are going to transition to female in order to succeed in the highly lucrative and popular world of women's sports.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 10:15 AM   #2466
Atocep
Coordinator

The trans athletes thing is a difficult and complex issue that always ignores the FtM. All trans issues ignore FtM. Bathrooms are the best one because these parents crying over a male being in their daighters restroom would absolutely not want someone with a full beard in that restroom, but thats what theyre asking for.

I don't pretend to have all the answers on sports stuff. IMO at the college, Olympic, and professional levels I get wanting to "get it right" Below that, however, I don't get the obsession. There aren't enough trans athletes and the high school and below level isn't serious enough for bans, legislation, and political interference. West Virginia has a case over middle school tack that's been ongoing. Middle school track in WV isn't that serious.

The counter I always see is someone asking what they're supposed to tell their kid if they don't make the team because of a trans athlete getting a spot. You tell them the same thing if anyone else had that spot. It's not difficult.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 10:42 AM   #2467
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
My transgender daughter does have a weird lifestyle. I don't really understand it. It seems like it just makes her life harder, when her life was already unusually hard because of her autism. She was already socially isolated to a large degree, and being transgender cost her some of her few friends. Someone explained it to me as you're never going to understand why they want to be a female, but as long as you accept it and support them, then things are fine. She's happier as a girl. We accept and support her as best we can.

As for the former boys competing against girls, that doesn't seem fair to me. There's no great solution. But maybe, at the end of the day, sports aren't all that important. I feel like the "fairest" solution is to compete against boys, but I realize that's not a happy situation for the transgender girl who wants to be regarded like other females. It's tricky for sure.

Just to clarify when I say weird I don’t mean I personally judge them as weird. I’m very much a live and let live.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:52 AM   #2468
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Not weird at all to say.

Trump - “If you’re Jewish, if you vote for a Democrat, you’re a fool. An absolute fool.”

Last edited by dubb93 : 07-31-2024 at 10:55 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 11:56 AM   #2469
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Just to clarify when I say weird I don’t mean I personally judge them as weird. I’m very much a live and let live.

Don't worry. I wasn't offended.

My feeling for a long time has been if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, have at it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 12:01 PM   #2470
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

My feeling for a long time has been if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, have at it.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept. What is a rational mindset against this mindset?
Old 07-31-2024, 12:26 PM   #2471
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Rainmaker referenced obsession with your kids genitals, but who is really obsessed with that? From a certain point of view, that would be the people who think it's perfectly fine and even something to be encouraged for those under the age of consent to have medical procedures of a gender transition nature.

It's been arguably the single biggest issue for Republican politicians over the last half decade. Laws have been passed in a number of states and it's a core position of the party. There are politicians and pundits that have made it their entire life's work.

To me, that's weird. I've never given much thought to my trips to a public restroom. Mostly just avoid eye contact, do my business, and get out as quick as I can. I'm not terribly concerned with the genitalia of the person taking a dump in the stall next to mine. I also don't obsess over other people's body choices or what medical decisions they make for their own children.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 12:40 PM   #2472
Atocep
Coordinator

Ohio wanted to inspect the genitals of any child athlete accused of being trangender. It was removed from their bill after backlash. In Kansas the trangender sports ban leaves the door open to genital inspections.

This isn't just made up hysteria. It's things GOP states are trying and want to pass.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-31-2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 01:39 PM   #2473
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

This is where I land. I don't think there's a good solution. But I think the tricky thing for Dems is they shoved the "just trust the science!" stuff down conservatives' throats for the Covid (and all anti-vaxx) responses, yet seem to ignore the obvious physiological differences between males and females. This isn't some sort of "anti-empowerment" take, it's just a scientific fact - males are physically the more dominant of the two sexes.

I feel like the liberal position on trans in sports is their version of the conservative position on religion in school. You force the 10 Commandments and Christmas trees on a school and suddenly you've invited Satanists and other pagan religions you'd never want to expose your kids to, to put up their own displays. Likewise, you blur the lines between the sexes for school sports, and suddenly a court rules there's no gender differences any more and you've obliterated the principal reason for separating boys and girls sports.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 01:47 PM   #2474
whomario
Pro Starter

Don't really want to disrupt the ongoing discussion but ...

Trump currently being interviewed by Rachel Scott at the National Association of Black Journalists and let's just say is that this isn't an environment where his vague collection of buzzwords, instinctual disdain and non-answers swirled about in washing machine routine is going over well.

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-31-2024 at 01:51 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 01:52 PM   #2475
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The funniest part is they are asking him tough questions and then when it gets to the Fox News lady, she's like "What makes you so great?".
Old 07-31-2024, 01:52 PM   #2476
Mota
College Benchwarmer

He sounds like the racist grandma.
"Oh, did you see the colored person on TV? They still call them colored, right?"
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 02:09 PM   #2477
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Holy shit trump is bombing this so hard and giving the Harris campaign the best gift they could get.

Just saw a clip where moderator basically asks Trump why he is hostile and critical towards blacks and his response was to insult her and the question.

His zealots won’t admit it but this is Biden debate level dysfunction.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:10 PM   #2478
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

x.com
Old 07-31-2024, 02:10 PM   #2479
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This is where I land. I don't think there's a good solution. But I think the tricky thing for Dems is they shoved the "just trust the science!" stuff down conservatives' throats for the Covid (and all anti-vaxx) responses, yet seem to ignore the obvious physiological differences between males and females. This isn't some sort of "anti-empowerment" take, it's just a scientific fact - males are physically the more dominant of the two sexes.

I feel like the liberal position on trans in sports is their version of the conservative position on religion in school. You force the 10 Commandments and Christmas trees on a school and suddenly you've invited Satanists and other pagan religions you'd never want to expose your kids to, to put up their own displays. Likewise, you blur the lines between the sexes for school sports, and suddenly a court rules there's no gender differences any more and you've obliterated the principal reason for separating boys and girls sports.

There is likely 100x less of a physiological disadvantage between the average woman basketball player and the average trans girl than there was between LeBron James and my cousin when they played in High School.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 02:18 PM   #2480
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Don't really want to disrupt the ongoing discussion but ...

Trump currently being interviewed by Rachel Scott at the National Association of Black Journalists and let's just say is that this isn't an environment where his vague collection of buzzwords, instinctual disdain and non-answers swirled about in washing machine routine is going over well.

AHAHAHAHA
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 02:25 PM   #2481
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Trump just told a room of black journalists migrants are going to take their jobs. Apparently that was the straw and the Trump team called off the interview. Absolute implosion.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:28 PM   #2482
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept. What is a rational mindset against this mindset?

"The children! Won't some one think of the children!"

The fear they play on is that if their snowflake knows someone that is trans, then their snowflake will want to be trans. That the reason for the "don't say gay" bill as well. If no one says gay, then their children will never be gay. They consider it a contagious disease.
Of course the other factor that make it such a violently hot subject is that too many of those straight he-men see a trans-woman, it she makes his little pee-pee feel funny. That in his mind makes him gay, and big he-man can't be gay, so he must bash her to stop the gayness.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 02:28 PM   #2483
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 02:29 PM   #2484
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Trump just told a room of black journalists migrants are going to take their jobs. Apparently that was the straw and the Trump team called off the interview. Absolute implosion.

I'm watching it now...this is amazing. Just a weird pathetic man.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 02:35 PM   #2485
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"The children! Won't some one think of the children!"

💯 this while they send their kids off to get molested by the Catholic Church.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:44 PM   #2486
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I'm watching it now...this is amazing. Just a weird pathetic man.

It was a weird decision by his team to do it, but it was also a very weird decision to invite him. The same people that brought him there wouldn't work out a way for the Vice President to do a video chat with the group since her schedule didn't allow her to go. There was a number of members of the board of the organization that stepped down over it, and really does seem like someone in the upper levels of that group was trying to help Trump out. Of course it backfired tremendously. It won't surprise me that we later learn there was some kind of inducement that the Trump people gave someone in the group for this opportunity, and that will make it all the more funny.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:48 PM   #2487
Atocep
Coordinator

I was reading some of the Q&A and it's an unmitigated disaster. Compared himself to Lincoln, said Kamala turned black a few years ago, said the VP isn't important when asked if JD Vance would be ready on day one to potentially step in as President, said he would pardon J6 rioters, and doubled down on migrants stealing black jobs.

Trump, at the last minute refused to take the stage if he was live fact checked. That caused a delay getting it started which he then went out and blamed on NABJ audio issues. Then the Q&A was cut short, reportedly by his campaign
And of course after it was over he went on truth social and called the questions rude and nasty.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-31-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 03:01 PM   #2488
GrantDawg

The number of people that are just totally befuddled by the idea that Kamala Harris can be black AND Indian is just amazing. Or at least it would be if it just wasn't just clearly racist.
Old 07-31-2024, 03:07 PM   #2489
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

i totally think they should just move on to the planned parenthood/abortion rights convention and strike while the iron is hot!
Old 07-31-2024, 03:08 PM   #2490
Atocep
Coordinator

Trump is so out of his element any time he has to speak in a situation he can't control.

Of course Fox News is calling this a set up.
Old 07-31-2024, 03:13 PM   #2491
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm old enough to remember when Trump was all about unity.
Old 07-31-2024, 03:15 PM   #2492
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Harris has overtaken Trump on PredictIt. Exactly two weeks ago he was at 68%. First time Trump has trailed since June 7.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 03:24 PM   #2493
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old 07-31-2024, 04:09 PM   #2494
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I understand the argument about competitiveness, but I guess I'm wondering how big of an issue this really is. It seems like a major political party is building their platform around something that is maybe like 20 high school students around the country. I'm not seeing some influx of transgender women dominating sports around the country.

And it's fair to wonder just how concerned they really are. These are people who have just bashed women's sports for decades and tried to defund. I'm supposed to believe they are suddenly concerned about a competitive advantage at some local high school volleyball game?

It just seems like an excuse to fetishize hate against people who are different and act out their own sexual and gender insecurities.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:27 PM   #2495
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Good lord he is shook.

Old 07-31-2024, 04:36 PM   #2496
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stuff like this is just stupid and reinforces the weirdness. Every single person in that arena is voting for him already.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:44 PM   #2497
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm going to have to start wearing my "Make Racism Wrong Again" hat...again.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:49 PM   #2498
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Trying to shake the weird label by shifting the campaign to discussing race science.
Old 07-31-2024, 05:02 PM   #2499
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Uhhhhh...maybe they are just going to run on the race stuff.

Old 07-31-2024, 05:20 PM   #2500
Swaggs
Coordinator

Such an odd choice to have your personal lawyer (of several lost cases) giving a stump speech for you when you are running for the president of the United States. I wonder if his realtor and therapist declined.