Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #2451
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, yeah, I think it went okay Most watched finale in series history, wraps up a second year as the most watched scripted show (cable or broadcast), remains the most watched scripted show in cable history.

Another killer finale for 'Walking Dead' | Media Life Magazine

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-02-2014 at 04:33 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #2452
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Maybe one of the greatest individual moments in TV history?

Here is that moment in TV:

Saddest TV Moment: Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen - YouTube

I remember watching this for the first time as a kid and it was pretty shocking/amazing..

About the WD finale,

- the last thing Rick said, was pure cheese. I mean, they are locked up in a fully guarded compound. Not all of them are going to survive it but Rick sure thinks they are. It would have been better to say, We are Fxxked and end it there.

- I think we all knew Treminus was going to be a trap, it was very anticlimactic and poorly done. The candle room was pretty creepy though.

It's going to be a long wait until next season.

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 04-02-2014 at 10:55 AM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #2453
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I really like all the farming flashbacks while he is ripping a guy's throat out. It was very powerful.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #2454
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love it if he just went full Swayze and throat ripped everyone from now on.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #2455
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much are Talking Dead ad spots? They gotta be making a fortune on that hour long commercial for AMC.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #2456
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How much are Talking Dead ad spots? They gotta be making a fortune on that hour long commercial for AMC.

From the Motley Fool yesterday
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-previous.aspx

[quote}During the third season, AMC reportedly charged $200,000 to $260,000 for a 30-second spot, and $375,000 for "scatter" advertisers who buy the spots much closer to air time. During the fourth season, that price skyrocketed to $600,000, according to The New York Post. That's more than the $570,000 it costs to advertise during Sunday night NFL games. By comparison, CBS' (NYSE: CBS ) The Big Bang Theory currently commands the highest advertising rates on network television, at $326,000 per 30-second commercial.

Considering that The Walking Dead's total viewers rose 27% between the third and fourth seasons, it wouldn't be surprising for AMC to ask for $700,000 per 30-second slot for the fifth season.

Considering that The Walking Dead has an estimated budget of $2.8 million per episode, it wouldn't take long to recoup its production costs and reap huge profits. AMC's advertising revenues, which account for 42% of the company's top line, already rose 26.7% year-over-year in fiscal 2013 to $663 million -- fueled by strong demand for original programs such as The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men. [/quote]
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #2457
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I meant the Hardwick show. It has to be virtually free to run the show. I'd imagine1-2 spots pay for an hour?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #2458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant the Hardwick show. It has to be virtually free to run the show. I'd imagine1-2 spots pay for an hour?

Oh shit, my bad, totally misread the question.

Based on what TWD gets, I'd suspect one spot probably covers costs. Pretty sure he's not getting rich.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #2459
Kodos
Resident Alien

Was I the only one who missed the pile of bones in my first viewing? Rick pauses to look at them as they are running from the shooters.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #2460
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I never watch "Talking Dead," because Hardwick annoys the hell out of me with those commercials. They have gotten a bit better at it, but during the third season and maybe the first half of season 4, they always seemed to have the "Talking Dead" promo be the first commercial right after what was, inevitably, the emotional peak of the episode. It was so jarring and irritating to have Hardwick smiling and yelling some cheeky little hashtag phrase right after that.

I did manage to watch some of it after the finale, switching between that and hockey. It was interesting to hear that Andrew Lincoln really wanted to have the last line be "They are fucking with the wrong people" as opposed to "screwing."

Gimple/Gipple or whatever the head of the show's name is, said that they couldn't do it because of the FCC. I am not too clear on where AMC and other cable channels fall within the FCC's realm. It's clear that they can get away with a lot more than network stations. They say "shit" quite often and other words you'd never hear on network TV and they are allowed more partial nudity.

Is "fuck" some kind of rubicon that can only be crossed by pay channels? I am not sure if I've ever heard it on any shows on AMC or FX.

Given all of the incredible violence and gore and all of the crazy-ass shit that goes on in "Walking Dead", it's pretty ridiculous that they can't say "fuck." Have a girl kill her little sister? Sure! Have a boy shot his mom in the head right after she's given birth? No problem! Have a man rip another man's throat out with his teeth? Go for it! Have ruffians openly threaten rape to both a woman and a boy? Greenlight! Say "fuck"? OMG! WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #2461
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I really like all the farming flashbacks while he is ripping a guy's throat out. It was very powerful.

I was expecting to see a flashback of "GET UP YOU SON OF A BITCH...cuz Mickey Loves ya!"
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #2462
SteveMax58
College Starter

Yeah HB....you pretty much summed up the idiocy of how afraid everybody is of getting fined by the FCC. I agree that an f-bomb (1 single time ftm) is the least graphic component of the show yet here we are.

I think AMC should have allowed the line and been ready to pay the fine if assessed.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #2463
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Yeah HB....you pretty much summed up the idiocy of how afraid everybody is of getting fined by the FCC. I agree that an f-bomb (1 single time ftm) is the least graphic component of the show yet here we are. I think AMC should have allowed the line and been ready to pay the fine if assessed.

In the case of cable, it isn't the FCC that regulates content like "the seven dirty words", it's the networks themselves. Based primarily on advertiser pressure.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #2464
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In the case of cable, it isn't the FCC that regulates content like "the seven dirty words", it's the networks themselves. Based primarily on advertiser pressure.

So McDonalds is to blame, first Coffee that is too hot, now this
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #2465
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Is "fuck" some kind of rubicon that can only be crossed by pay channels? I am not sure if I've ever heard it on any shows on AMC or FX.

On Breaking Bad the creator frequently talked about how AMC 'allowed' him X number of uses of 'shit' and 'fuck' each season. He always said it was just 1 'fuck' per season, but I think there are some seasons where there are 2 of them.

The thing is, whenever they said shit it was actually said. The fuck was blanked out a bit, so instead of Skyler saying "I fucked Ted" you hear "I f---d Ted". I think that closing line in Walking Dead would have worked better if it was done that way. I assume AMC feels like they have to be more careful with things like that b/c this is such a huge ratings success.

Last edited by Radii : 04-03-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #2466
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
On Breaking Bad the creator frequently talked about how AMC 'allowed' him X number of uses of 'shit' and 'fuck' each season. He always said it was just 1 'fuck' per season, but I think there are some seasons where there are 2 of them.

I don't remember exactly how they phrased it but IIRC this was sort of referenced on Talking Dead Sunday night. Something along the lines of "thought about using our one for the year" or something like that but they sort of let that discussion trail off.

However it was worded, I got the impression that TWD probably doesn't even get "the one" that BB had.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #2467
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Was I the only one who missed the pile of bones in my first viewing? Rick pauses to look at them as they are running from the shooters.

I also heard cries of help.

Obviously, humans can't be eaten once they turn to zombies. Does that mean that they have to be cooked alive?

We haven't even discussed that creepy cult room yet.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #2468
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe it's like lobsters. Gotta boil 'em alive.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #2469
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post

Obviously, humans can't be eaten once they turn to zombies. Does that mean that they have to be cooked alive?

I too heard people asking for someone to get them out of there. The way the shot was framed, it made it appear that they were in the stacked cargo containers, which didn't seem anywhere near the rail car they were all in, at the end of the episode.

I also saw the bones and everything in the creepy room with the candles with peoples names scrawled on the floor, definitely makes it seem like they are in Cannibal HQ.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #2470
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Thats a good point & so they wouldn't really have the fine itself to worry about.

I guess we don't know how much it was discussed internally at AMC, nor whether it was discussed with their major advertisers, but we can at least ascertain that AMC did ultimately have a decision & made it since Andrew Lincoln (IIRC) stated that they did shoot that line with a "less clean" word.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #2471
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

No I saw them and knew exactly what it meant.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #2472
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

You just cook them fresh after they are killed.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #2473
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I never watch "Talking Dead," because Hardwick annoys the hell out of me with those commercials. They have gotten a bit better at it, but during the third season and maybe the first half of season 4, they always seemed to have the "Talking Dead" promo be the first commercial right after what was, inevitably, the emotional peak of the episode. It was so jarring and irritating to have Hardwick smiling and yelling some cheeky little hashtag phrase right after that.

#WelcomeToTerminus
#Whats4Dinner
Old 04-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #2474
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They've dropped like 10 F Bombs on the Goldbergs this year but they blurticle out the persons face and beep it.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #2475
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

I'm new to the thread, the show, and all. In the game (and presumably the comic, but I haven't read those yet), the 'group' is invited to dinner at a farm. The farm family turns out to be cannibals. The cannibals took one of the group, cut him up but kept him alive, and served him for dinner.

Probably the grossest part of the video games series.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #2476
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I need to get season 2 of the game but I'm kind of just waiting for it all to come out and to go on sale a tiny bit.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #2477
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I need to get season 2 of the game but I'm kind of just waiting for it all to come out and to go on sale a tiny bit.

Yeah thats the way I did it with S1 and wish I did it again for S2. It gets annoying when you want to play the next episode & see its like 2 months out.

Season 2 is actually really cool so far though. The storyline is probably better than S1.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #2478
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I'm new to the thread, the show, and all. In the game (and presumably the comic, but I haven't read those yet), the 'group' is invited to dinner at a farm. The farm family turns out to be cannibals. The cannibals took one of the group, cut him up but kept him alive, and served him for dinner.

Probably the grossest part of the video games series.
Yeah thats what made me think of that same scenario. You chop off a leg because I guess as long as the person was alive it doesn't get all zombie-rotted.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #2479
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The cannibal storyline in the comics (from the summaries I've read) involves the death of a major character ... and ROYALLY pisses off our merry band of survivors. I've seen it described as the most brutal action/reaction the heroes have had to any situation.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #2480
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder who will get that treatment. I'm guessing Bob?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #2481
law90026
College Benchwarmer

The biker fight part was kinda in the comics. Quite liked it and the wife and I agreed it's very believable a parent would react that way in that situation.

The last line was kinda silly but again, consistent with parts of the comics if I remember right.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #2482
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Probably a few weeks late but there was some talk by the showrunner about bringing back Morgan at some point in the near future. I'd guess with Low Winter Sun tanking, he'd probably available. Also talk of introducing Negan from the comics at some point, but I'd imagine that would be a season or so down the line.
'The Walking Dead': Scott Gimple talks about Morgan - San Antonio TV | Examiner.com
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #2483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like they're going to the Wire for yet another cast member as Seth Gilliam(Carver) is playing Gabriel.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #2484
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Walking Dead Gets A Disturbingly Peppy 80s Opening Theme
Old 06-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #2485
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposedly some major filming spoilers out there that you probably want to avoid.

probably debunked.

Last edited by stevew : 06-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #2486
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

learned through a random trivial pursuit card the other day that Terminus was the original name for Atlanta. Had no idea there was historical basis in the name.

really interesting history of the city that I had no idea about...
Quote:
In 1836, the Georgia General Assembly voted to build the Western and Atlantic Railroad in order to provide a link between the port of Savannah and the Midwest.[26] The initial route was to run southward from Chattanooga to a terminus east of the Chattahoochee River, which would then be linked to Savannah. After engineers surveyed various possible locations for the terminus, the "zero milepost" was driven into the ground in what is now Five Points. A year later, the area around the milepost had developed into a settlement, first known as "Terminus", and later as "Thrasherville" after a local merchant who built homes and a general store in the area.[27] By 1842, the town had six buildings and 30 residents, and was renamed "Marthasville" to honor the Governor's daughter.[28] J. Edgar Thomson, Chief Engineer of the Georgia Railroad, suggested the town be renamed "Atlantica-Pacifica,” which was shortened to "Atlanta".[28] The residents approved, and the town was incorporated as Atlanta on December 29, 1847.[29]
Old 06-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #2487
DanGarion
Coordinator

CARL!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #2488
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You mean CORAL right?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #2489
Radii
Head Coach

Season 5 trailer from Comic-Con today:

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 AM   #2490
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

So. Much. Happening. Starting to think they aren't BSing when they say this is the most ambitious season they have done yet.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #2491
Johnny93g
College Starter

What's the point of having a cliffhanger if you spoil it in the trailer.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #2492
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
What's the point of having a cliffhanger if you spoil it in the trailer.

You didn't honestly think they'd be stuck in the boxcar the whole season, did you?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #2493
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It looks like they make some sort of deal and leave half of their people in terminus? Is that what I'm suppose to infer from the trailer?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #2494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How do celebs enjoy a con? Incognito of course

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #2495
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
You didn't honestly think they'd be stuck in the boxcar the whole season, did you?

Ofcourse not, why would they set a whole season in one small location where nothing really happens.............

Seriously, it's not that i thought they wouldn't get out, it's that they end the season on a cliffhanger, and pretty much show what happens with that cliffhanger right in the trailer. Everyone who survives, why they get out, the new mission.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #2496
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Seriously, it's not that i thought they wouldn't get out, it's that they end the season on a cliffhanger, and pretty much show what happens with that cliffhanger right in the trailer. Everyone who survives, why they get out, the new mission.

The buzz seems pretty positive about the trailer, best I can tell. I think there's a large portion of the fan base that didn't want nor need to be left hanging for another three months.

Plus, we still don't know:
1) How long our new women's prison inmate is going to live
2) Why we see the big burly army guy fall to his knees in tears (although the absence/scarcity of one character from that preview certainly hints at it)
3) Who gets eaten in spite of seeing them in the trailer

Not like there's a shortage of tension even with the cliffhanger being addressed
Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #2497
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't know if anyone watches Major Crimes, but last week they did one of those tacky spinoff within an episode things and one of the principals was Laurie Holden (Andrea).
Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #2498
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dallas Roberts(Milton) is doing some solid work on the forgettable, yet highly watchable show Unforgettable on CBS.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #2499
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just got through season 1, it is pretty awesome. Watching season 2 now. You are constantly on edge waiting for something to pop out and eat someone.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #2500
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just got through season 1, it is pretty awesome. Watching season 2 now. You are constantly on edge waiting for something to pop out and eat someone.

Man that feels so long ago! Have fun!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote