Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #2451
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

great great game for Colorado last night.

They just completed a road trip against the slugs of the Western Conference where they played like dog doodoo - no effort. Heck, they played the Blackhawks the day of the deadline and the Hawks were short 2 forwards to start the game and they still just barely squeaked out a win.

So I was ready for a letdown yesterday with the start of the big home and home with the Flames. But it was like a different Colorado team. A playoff team. Calgary came out hitting...and the Avs hit back. They played solid defense, the worked hard the entire game, they scored on the powerplay, the scored shorthanded, they killed penalties. Hejduk, Tangay and Sakic each had a goal and an assist, and each looked simply terrific. And Peter Budaj? Holy cow he's looked good since the deadline. Now, their only in place by 1 point, and the Flames have 3 games in hand, so I'm not getting all goofy...but if they play like that in the postseason, they might have a chance to get out of the first round.

meanwhile, I've past JiMG temporarily for 1st place in the Yahoo Fantasy B-League (picking up Huet during the Olympic break has paid of rather well...)
It's a good day for hockey.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum about one thing, though. When should I start growing my playoff beard? I do it every spring, but I've never known exactly when was good protocol to start. Is it too early?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 AM   #2452
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'm in a bit of a conundrum about one thing, though. When should I start growing my playoff beard? I do it every spring, but I've never known exactly when was good protocol to start. Is it too early?

It's too early. The playoff beard should not be started until after the regular season ends. I used to grow one every year (until I got a job in an office that wouldn't really tolerate that). I would shave the last day of the regular season and then not shave it off until the Wings were out of the playoffs or won the Cup.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #2453
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
Must...resist...urge...to...rile...Leafs fans

Seriously though, even naysayers (cough*Johnny93G*cough ) must admit that it isn't smoke and mirrors now with Buffalo. They roll four lines that can all score, they skate like the wind, win on the road as much as at home and have killer special teams.

Oh yeah, the goaltending is good too! It's nice to be mentioned as a contender again, that's for sure!

I'm not a naysayer, im a biased fan of one of your major rivals ....With that said, Sabres are playing excellent, Leafs, not so much, though i will never give up. Go Leafs
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #2454
Booj
High School JV

It's sooo nice to start looking ahead of where the Canadiens are instead of behind... 1 point up on TB and 3 points back of NJ with a game in hand on both. Huet with back-to-back shutouts, and I'm suddenly not very worried about TB tonight because, well... they seem to be playing Jose Theodore in nets disguised as Burke and Grahame... I'm now very happy we didn't ship Aebischer to Tampa after we got him...

The team now seems to know what they are doing... Gainey put in a system and everyone knows their role... 2 scoring lines, and 2 defensive lines seems to be working like a charm.

That mid-season slump seems worth it now that the team is playing so well.

I still like the idea of going with a platoon of Huet-Aebischer because Huet has started 15 or so straight games... let's just hope the Habs can knock off TB, play well against Carolina and go into the "easy" part of their schedule on a high note (2 games vs NYI, TOR, WSH and PIT) to end off the month.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #2455
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I'm not a naysayer, im a biased fan of one of your major rivals ....With that said, Sabres are playing excellent, Leafs, not so much, though i will never give up. Go Leafs

Well, I applaud your optimism. In fact, I'd love to see another Buffalo/Toronto playoff series so I'll make a point of not rooting AGAINST your Leafs for the rest of the year.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #2456
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, I applaud your optimism. In fact, I'd love to see another Buffalo/Toronto playoff series so I'll make a point of not rooting AGAINST your Leafs for the rest of the year.

The playoffs are always better when Toronto is in.

So far, the Rollie The Goalie experiment has not worked out too well in Edmonton. This got me wondering: Are there any examples of a team picking up a goalie at the trade deadline and then going far into the playoffs with that goalie? I haven't though too deeply on this, but I can't think of too many. I know it's never worked for the Wings.

In other deadline related news, much like Mario Lemieux with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Cory Cross scored a goal during his first shift and on his first shot on goal in a Wings uniform.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #2457
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
It's too early. The playoff beard should not be started until after the regular season ends. I used to grow one every year (until I got a job in an office that wouldn't really tolerate that). I would shave the last day of the regular season and then not shave it off until the Wings were out of the playoffs or won the Cup.

So you shaved every day in the 80's then?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #2458
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
So you shaved every day in the 80's then?

Dwayne. Roloson.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #2459
Karim
College Starter

The loss against Colorado was all Kiprusoff's fault - he let in a goal. How does he expect the team to win if he doesn't get a shutout? Defence is fine but something more than 9 goals in 6 games would be nice.

Last edited by Karim : 03-13-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #2460
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dwayne. Roloson.
Now you're just being mean.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #2461
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Now you're just being mean.

You're right. I'm sorry. I take it back.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #2462
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You're right. I'm sorry. I take it back.

Cool. Now if only Doug Risebrough would
Old 03-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #2463
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj
It's sooo nice to start looking ahead of where the Canadiens are instead of behind... 1 point up on TB and 3 points back of NJ with a game in hand on both. Huet with back-to-back shutouts, and I'm suddenly not very worried about TB tonight because, well... they seem to be playing Jose Theodore in nets disguised as Burke and Grahame... I'm now very happy we didn't ship Aebischer to Tampa after we got him...

The team now seems to know what they are doing... Gainey put in a system and everyone knows their role... 2 scoring lines, and 2 defensive lines seems to be working like a charm.

That mid-season slump seems worth it now that the team is playing so well.

I still like the idea of going with a platoon of Huet-Aebischer because Huet has started 15 or so straight games... let's just hope the Habs can knock off TB, play well against Carolina and go into the "easy" part of their schedule on a high note (2 games vs NYI, TOR, WSH and PIT) to end off the month.

The jinx is on...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #2464
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Canucks are looking great! 5 straight losses!

Anaheim can pull even with Edmonton and Vancouver in the West with a victory against Detroit tonight. ok, so that probably won't happen
Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #2465
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes win 5-3 at home against the Rangers and Weight is finally pulling his...er...weight as he seems to be settling in finally with a pair of goals, his third in two games. The win also broke team records for wins, home wins, and points in a season. Now Carolina has to go on the road again for four more games against the Northeast Division, starting in Montreal Thursday, then winding through Boston, Toronto, and Buffalo over the next week. A tough grind of four games in seven days.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #2466
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Anyone catch the Ducks-Avs game last night?

Wow, my Ducks are playing good. To get down 4-1, and come back to tie it, and then win on an overtime penalty shot? The Pond was rocking last night.

I can't believe it right now, but as it grades out, the Ducks have a terrific chance to finish fifth in the West. You told me that was the case three months ago and I woulda told you you were nuts.

Anyone who is not a hockey fan is missing out on these last few weeks. Six teams for four spots, five points total separating them all.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #2467
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Shootout results from last nights Hawks-Stars game:

Chicago Matthew Barnaby shootout goal
Dallas Sergei Zubov shootout goal
Chicago Rene Bourque shootout saved
Dallas Jussi Jokinen shootout saved
Chicago Mikael Holmqvist shootout saved
Dallas Mike Modano shootout saved
Chicago Radim Vrbata shootout saved
Dallas Antti Miettinen shootout saved
Chicago Mark Bell shootout miss
Dallas Jere Lehtinen shootout saved
Chicago Dustin Byfuglien shootout miss
Dallas Niko Kapanen shootout saved
Chicago Mark Cullen shootout saved
Dallas Jason Arnott shootout saved
Chicago Kyle Calder shootout saved
Dallas Brenden Morrow shootout goal

I still like the shootout!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #2468
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

LOL @ Matt Barnaby shooting first.

I still don't like the shootout.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #2469
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Of course Sachmo likes the shootout with him and his Jussi Jokinen character...

I've come out in favor of it. I just look at it in very simple terms. The 4-on-4 OT is over. The game is tied. Here are H_B's options:

A) Watch Datsyuk (or insert any other NHL player's name here) go one-on-one with a goalie.

B) Start watching another re-run of Law & Order: SVU (if I'm lucky) or some other show.

I will take Option A every time.

Detroit's first shooutout of the season came earlier this year against Columbus. All game the Wings fans booed Fedorov whenever he touched the puck (this pisses me off to no end and I don't understand it, but the same could be said of the majority of Red Wings' fans and their actions, but that's another post) and the shootout came down to Fedorov vs. Osgood. If Ozzie makes the save, game over, Wings win. If Fedorov scores, we go to the 1 and done shooutout. It was as loud and as rocking as I have heard/seen the Joe since the 01-02 season. It was a mad house. Ozzie made the save.

Two games ago the Wings lost a shootout against Nasvhille. But there were two great moments. The first was Datsyuk's move on Vokoun. It was amazing and made Vokoun look silly. The second was Yzerman's shootout goal. It was just great to see the Captain dazzle once more.

Those three moments are likely some of the highlights of the regular season so far. Without the shootout, we wouldn't have them.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #2470
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL even harder that he scored.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #2471
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

actually, I could deal with the shootout. I still think it should be 5 shooters per team instead of 3. 3 just ends too early. And I still think that OT should be longer to try to resolve the game that way first - shootouts should be rarer.

I really am more and more becoming annoyed with teams getting a point for an OT/SO loss. We keep seeing teams gain points in the standings by losing, and that just isn't right. I'd like to see a 10 minute OT played and If it's still not decided, then the shootout. Winner gets 2 loser gets 0 just like all other games.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #2472
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Of course Sachmo likes the shootout with him and his Jussi Jokinen character...

I've come out in favor of it. I just look at it in very simple terms. The 4-on-4 OT is over. The game is tied. Here are H_B's options:

A) Watch Datsyuk (or insert any other NHL player's name here) go one-on-one with a goalie.

B) Start watching another re-run of Law & Order: SVU (if I'm lucky) or some other show.

I will take Option A every time.

Detroit's first shooutout of the season came earlier this year against Columbus. All game the Wings fans booed Fedorov whenever he touched the puck (this pisses me off to no end and I don't understand it, but the same could be said of the majority of Red Wings' fans and their actions, but that's another post) and the shootout came down to Fedorov vs. Osgood. If Ozzie makes the save, game over, Wings win. If Fedorov scores, we go to the 1 and done shooutout. It was as loud and as rocking as I have heard/seen the Joe since the 01-02 season. It was a mad house. Ozzie made the save.

Two games ago the Wings lost a shootout against Nasvhille. But there were two great moments. The first was Datsyuk's move on Vokoun. It was amazing and made Vokoun look silly. The second was Yzerman's shootout goal. It was just great to see the Captain dazzle once more.

Those three moments are likely some of the highlights of the regular season so far. Without the shootout, we wouldn't have them.

Jokinen has missed his last two!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #2473
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
actually, I could deal with the shootout. I still think it should be 5 shooters per team instead of 3. 3 just ends too early. And I still think that OT should be longer to try to resolve the game that way first - shootouts should be rarer.

I really am more and more becoming annoyed with teams getting a point for an OT/SO loss. We keep seeing teams gain points in the standings by losing, and that just isn't right. I'd like to see a 10 minute OT played and If it's still not decided, then the shootout. Winner gets 2 loser gets 0 just like all other games.

I still say the way to go is no-limit OT. Just play til somebody scores. The shootout sucks.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #2474
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I heard that the NHL is considering going to 5 shooters per team next year.

Boston just fired Mike O'Connell. It's about time.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #2475
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I still say the way to go is no-limit OT. Just play til somebody scores. The shootout sucks.

Playoffs, yes. Regular season, no. 82 games + any 5 minute OTs is long enough.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #2476
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

What a weekend for the Blue Jackets, probably the 2 most exciting games I've seen in a while. On Friday, they play the most physical game of the year against Calgary, beating them 3-2. Klesla put Nilson into Calgary's bench with the best hit I've seen all year.

Then last night, coming back from a 3-0 deficit against Detroit in Detroit was just amazing to see. Its nice to see a team who's not in the playoff race still give it 100 percent and not give up on games.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #2477
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and see, just after I riff on the 1 point for a loss thing, Colorado loses...and gets a point out of it, moving them into a tie with Calgary.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #2478
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
and see, just after I riff on the 1 point for a loss thing, Colorado loses...and gets a point out of it, moving them into a tie with Calgary.

And if the Canucks beat the Kings tonight, they move into a tie with Edmonton, 2 points back of Colorado and Calgary. It's going to be a fun final 10 (or so) games in that division.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #2479
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't believe we have almost 1 month left in the regular season. Well, 23 days left. That's a long, long time...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #2480
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can't believe we have almost 1 month left in the regular season. Well, 23 days left. That's a long, long time...

It'll never happen, but a 60 game season would be so much better.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #2481
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Must...resist...urge...to...rile...Leafs fans

Seriously though, even naysayers (cough*Johnny93G*cough ) must admit that it isn't smoke and mirrors now with Buffalo. They roll four lines that can all score, they skate like the wind, win on the road as much as at home and have killer special teams.
No comment about Saturday's game?

(Please don't kill us too badly tonight.)
Old 04-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #2482
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
No comment about Saturday's game?

(Please don't kill us too badly tonight.)

A couple fluky goals but all credit goes to Toronto for their work ethic in the game - they deserved to smoke the Sabres that's for sure. Toronto played an excellent hockey game.

Buffalo is bound to get swept if they don't awaken from their slumber. That was as poor an effort as I've ever seen out of a Sabres team.

They get Hecht, Briere and Mair back for tonight's tilt and supposedly are scratching Vanek, who just isn't showing a consistent work ethic.

It's nice to see the Leafs overhauling things a bit...the kids look good. Too little too late though, I'm sure you'll agree.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #2483
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Too little too late though, I'm sure you'll agree.
Never say never. The kids look good, Aubin is on fire, and the team is playing with heart. If there's one thing we've all learned about the Leafs, it's that they have grit and determination and are never going to quit and just when advserity seems to have...

Ah fuck it, who am I kidding, they're done.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #2484
General Mike
Pro Starter

Some jerk wants to buy the Penguins and move them to Hartford.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2400450
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #2485
bronconick
College Starter

Only if they're renamed the Whalers.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #2486
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This whole deal with the Penguins could be so easy. Give Isle of Capri the slot parlor license, and they'll build a new arena in Pittsburgh and contribute money to revamp a sputtering area of the city. Isle of Capri has promised to do both of these things. The other casino companies are offering proposals that require taxpayer money, and they have no plans to help rebuild parts of Pittsburgh. What's so difficult about this?

Anyway, a new arena doesn't necessarily mean that the new Penguins ownership would keep the team here, but it'd be pretty silly to leave if there's a brand new building in town. The state and Allegheny County (where Pittsburgh lies) are fucking this one up badly.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #2487
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

I'm scared about my Devils playing Montreal tonight.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #2488
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Go Sharks!
Old 04-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #2489
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

Anyway, a new arena doesn't necessarily mean that the new Penguins ownership would keep the team here, but it'd be pretty silly to leave if there's a brand new building in town. The state and Allegheny County (where Pittsburgh lies) are fucking this one up badly.

Actually it would mean they would stay. Lemieux stated that whoever he sells the team to will have to follow the same rules that he has. Which means if they get a new arena the Pens stay, if the arena falls through, the team is free to leave.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #2490
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Actually it would mean they would stay. Lemieux stated that whoever he sells the team to will have to follow the same rules that he has. Which means if they get a new arena the Pens stay, if the arena falls through, the team is free to leave.
Sounds good to me. I'm not a Penguins fan, but I love having the NHL nearby. So why haven't they given the Isle of Capri this license yet?
Old 04-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #2491
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I'm not a Penguins fan, but I love having the NHL nearby. So why haven't they given the Isle of Capri this license yet?

There is talk that Gov. Rendell is getting kick backs from the other bidder. And what makes it even more fishy is how he hurried up and made a Plan B just incase the Isle of Capri falls through. Seems to me that he already knows who is getting it but doesnt want it to look like he didnt try to save the team.

Edit: I am not a Pens fan either, but I like going to watch the Flyers play 4 times a year

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-08-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #2492
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Dola

I'm scared about my Devils playing Montreal tonight.

w00t.

talk about peaking at the right time.

still worried that we only have one scoring line, but they keep scoring. brodeur looked fantastic.

big game against the rangers tomorrow. catching the flyers isnt out of the question at this point. amazing.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 AM   #2493
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This story cracks me up...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=161766&hubname=

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (CP) - Sean Avery can't seem to get enough of the spotlight.

The Los Angeles Kings player had a heated verbal exchange with Anaheim broadcaster and former NHL goalie Brian Hayward in the dressing room Friday before players and media.

Hayward, a former Montreal Canadiens goalie, criticized Avery during Tuesday's Anaheim broadcast and accused him of running away from a confrontation with the Ducks' Todd Fedoruk. Hayward was doing prep work for Saturday's Ducks-Kings game on NBC when he visited the Kings' dressing room Friday, only to be welcomed by a profanity-laced tirade from Avery, according to the Los Angeles Times. Hayward stood his ground.

"You're an embarrassment," the Times quoted Avery as saying and Hayward responded by saying, "You want to see an embarrassment? Look in the mirror, Sean."

Avery walked towards Hayward at one point but was pulled away by assistant coach Ray Bennett.

"You're the reason the league doesn't have a national television deal. You're a (terrible) announcer and you were a (terrible) player," Avery said during the exchange.

Hayward responded: "How would you know? When I played, you were in your third year of eighth grade."
Based on that transcript, my score card has it Hayward 2, Avey 0.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #2494
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I love Sean Avery. The league needs guys like this. Villians. He plays the role wonderfully. He has since he was in juniors. Don't get me wrong, he's an ass. A major, major ass. I agree with him, though, Hayward was never any good.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #2495
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I think Avery should have a -1 because his "insult" didn't make sense.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #2496
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I, of course, listen to Hayward all the time, and I also get a lot of opportunities to watch Avery. I like Hayward okay. He gets the job done, even if he won't be remembered much for it. He's a bit too much of a homer, but for some reason, I like that more with the Ducks than I usually do.

I also like Avery, his personality. He makes me laugh a la Chad Johnson.

All that said, Hayzie is spot on about Tuesday's game, which I also watched. Avery was a little bitch (as usual). He's like one of those medium-sized bullies who picks on kids, but he runs when someone his size (much less bigger, like Fedoruk) comes along. He deserved an ass-whooping and acted like a coward.

I might add that his stupid penalities and mistakes were the primary reason the Kings lost 6-2 that night in a game they absolutely needed to keep their playoff hopes alive.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #2497
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14310160.htm

Quote:
Flyers Primeau returns to practice
By Tim Panaccio
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

He wasn't just skating. He was going full bore.

He wasn't avoiding contact. He was hitting people.

And he wasn't making small talk. He was scolding his teammates for sloppy practice habits.

Flyers center Keith Primeau, who has not played since Oct. 28 at Carolina because of post-concussion syndrome, was back on the ice today at Skate Zone in Voorhees and participating in every drill, including penalty killing.

The reality of the situation: Primeau said in February he's done for the season.

The hope of the situation: If Primeau can practice over the final nine days of the regular season without incurring concussion symptoms, he'll come back for the playoffs.

"It's a long shot, like the Kansas City Royals being 500,000-to-one" to win this season's World Series, said Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin. "I think there is an outside chance he could come back and play. But we're so far away."

If Primeau, the Flyers' former captain, wakes up this morning without symptoms, that's a huge step forward. For now, he still has some focus problems with his vision.

"My head will have to feel a lot better than it did today when I was out there," Primeau said of playing in the playoffs. "My legs and conditioning, because I worked so hard with Jim McCrossin, felt decent. My head still felt like it was a foot behind.

"I am not going back on comments I made the last time this started and comments I made in my press conference. At this point in time, there is no way I could make that kind of decision or assumption."

September remains the target date for Primeau's return. But he held out hope today that he could return early.

"Obviously, I feel better than I have [felt recently] to be out there," Primeau said. "This is part of my therapy, my rehab. It's another hurdle. A huge hurdle for me. I feel really good, which is the most important thing."

So why did Primeau act and speak as if he were wearing the "C" again, instead of Derian Hatcher? Some players commented that perhaps someone else needs to hold the club accountable for it awful performances, such as Saturday's humiliating 5-2 loss to Toronto.

"He is very demanding of other players," Mike Knuble said. "I have not played with him that much, but he is that type of guy who puts guys on edge a bit. That's good. Maybe that is something we need. Even if it helps in practice. Anything he says on the ice will be thought about and hopefully applied."

Primeau said he fell back into his captain's routine unintentionally.

"I hope this has a positive effect [on teammates]," he said. "I was talking to guys, giving them a hard time if they missed a pass. I wanted to wade myself back in, but old habits are hard to die. I felt myself revert to old tendencies. Whether it is morale or excitement, if it's a positive, emotional lift [for them], that's great."

Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock and general manager Bob Clarke said they had no idea of Primeau's intentions to practice until he showed up and got medical clearance. He was told by McCrossin not to have any contact. He disobeyed.

"My biggest problem is I can only play one way," Primeau said. "I realy can't try to play perimeter or play around the outside... because it is not part of my repertoire. If I can't be physical, then I will never play again."

Clarke would like to see Primeau play a game before the playoffs even if it means moving cap money around. But he is operating on the September deadline - not April. The Flyers never used Primeau's full cap exemption as a long-term injured player in the event he came back at the end of the season.

"Until he tells me that he and the doctors agree he can play, I won't even worry about it," Clarke said.

Hitchcock was of the same mind regarding Primeau being back in the lineup.

"Don't even go there," Hitchcock said. "He skated with us for one practice... . This is light years away from thinking or even playing hockey again competitively."

Primeau said if these practices become "distracting," he'll stop. He said he wanted to do this last week but didn't feel healthy enough.

"As long as I have no regrets on how I tried to get myself in position to play," he said, "I can live with that."
Contact staff writer Tim Panaccio at 215-854-2847 or [email protected].
Old 04-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #2498
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Robitaille to Retire at End of Season

I'm going to miss Lucky Luc on the ice. What a terrific skater and scorer. The Kings have been great for him, too, in the long run, although I really feel they could have done better by him this year.

Adieu, Monsieur Robitaille.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-10-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #2499
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
w00t.

talk about peaking at the right time.

Seriously!! A few weeks ago, one of the guys on Atlanta sports radio said the Thrashers had the best chance to make the playoffs against the Devils, who he thought would easily fade out of the picture. Wonder what he is thinking now .
Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #2500
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Robitaille to Retire at End of Season

I'm going to miss Lucky Luc on the ice. What a terrific skater and scorer. The Kings have been great for him, too, in the long run, although I really feel they could have done better by him this year.

Adieu, Monsieur Robitaille.

I've always liked Lucky Luc. An amazing goal scorer. No player that I can remember has ever accomplished so much with so little. He was a horrible skater. He wasn't that big or strong. I have no idea how he scored so many goals. It's quite remarkable.