Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #2451
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The issue I find is with the trading. Kids have a hard time understanding the value of scarce commodities.

So little Johnny, how about you give me that wood for 2 sheep?

Oh yay, 2 sheep!!!! Thanks daddy!

Last edited by Danny : 10-13-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #2452
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
How old are your kids? I'm wondering if it is too complex for my 7 year old? She does enjoy Ticket to Ride.

Machi Koro might be a good filler version of Catan.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #2453
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Shout out to Galaril. I bought his collection of games that he was looking to sell. So much fun to get a big brown box full of 12 games that I've never played before! My girls are especially excited to give King of Tokyo a try, while I'm pretty excited about some of the solitaire war games in the group.

Thanks Galaril!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #2454
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Machi Koro might be a good filler version of Catan.

Reading at BGG is that this actually needs an expansion or two to really get replay out of it. Sad to hear. Filler games need to be good out of the box and cheap.

I'm 0 for 2 in going to Barnes and Nobles for their clearance sales and finding out they don't have what their website says they do.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #2455
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Shout out to Galaril. I bought his collection of games that he was looking to sell. So much fun to get a big brown box full of 12 games that I've never played before! My girls are especially excited to give King of Tokyo a try, while I'm pretty excited about some of the solitaire war games in the group.

Thanks Galaril!

Enjoy man. Glad I found a good home for them. If you have any question feel free to ask especially on the football games.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #2456
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I think it is perfectly playable without the minis and a great light tactical game. Does possibly a better job than the card game of making each character feel unique. As a disclaimer, I've been a playtester for GTG for about 2 years and have played this extensively, so I am not unbiased.

If someone is already in a hex that has a hazard attack token later placed in it, does the hazard attack go off instantly or is it as the manual says if the character enters the hex or ends their turn there do they take actually damage? This is the one rule that seems to bug me. I shouldn't be able have a target on a hex, place a hazard token on it, and the target merely walks away from it undamaged. I guess I could read it as when the token is placed they are "entering it."

Early returns are good though.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #2457
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

More Magic: The Gathering Strategy Board Game Info | GatheringMagic.com - Magic: The Gathering Website
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #2458
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Played King of Tokyo with my 7 and 4 year old girls. They loved it, though my 4 year old threw a fit when she was killed. But she jumped right back into the next game when she finished that one and still loved it.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #2459
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, the only problem with that game with kids is the elimination factor. I played it with my afterschool gaming group a few times and had a hard time keeping the dead kids contained.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #2460
Autumn
Head Coach

Which is probably why Seven Wonders has been the biggest hit there, everybody takes turns at the same time and everybody lasts the whole game. No downtime at all.

I'm bringing in Smash Up to play with them today. Really fun game I think they'll like.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #2461
ColtCrazy
College Starter

That was the downside to King of Tokyo to our lunch time gaming group too. I ended up taking it out and only using it for class goal parties. That way when a student was eliminated, they simply went off to do something else.

I need to try Seven Wonders.

Lewis & Clark was a big hit with our lunch group. Everybody is in the game the whole time and once kids understand the rules everyone seems to be capable of winning for most of the game.

I just picked up Snowdonia. Heard good things about it for some time. Game Preserve in Bloomington had it marked down for even cheaper than CSI sells it for.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #2462
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yeah, the only problem with that game with kids is the elimination factor. I played it with my afterschool gaming group a few times and had a hard time keeping the dead kids contained.

I think it depends on game size. I could see that with 5-6 players as it goes on a bit longer. With three people, we were doing games in 15-20 minutes, so it wasn't too bad.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #2463
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, these were six player games, and some of these kids have a hard time staying focused.

I'll have to check out Lewis and Clark.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #2464
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Magic TG game announced for board games, and it looks suspiciously like HeroScape and even has the same designer.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #2465
Autumn
Head Coach

Has anyone played Cosmic Encounter?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #2466
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Got my Roll Through the Ages Iron Age in today. Got it when they did Through the Ages on Kickstarter though I didn't get that game. Got 8 games in the box with it…all the free goal incentives.

Ended up with:
The Club
Warriors
Dragon Hordes
Bacchus
Musketeers
Igels
Oltra Mare
Masters Gallery

Will only keep the bottom 2 I think. Looking forward to getting Iron Age out. Might be another good one for gaming group, Autumn. Bronze Age was a nice quick and simple play.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #2467
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Has anyone played Cosmic Encounter?

Highly social dependent but can be amazing in the right group.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #2468
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is an absolute blast. Played it 4 times with a friend over 2 different gaming sessions and we finally won the introductory scenario. "Jonsey" the cat saved the day - it was an epic game and epic win. Highly recommended especially if you are a fan of the movies.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #2469
ColtCrazy
College Starter

TTA: Iron Age is a pretty fun game. A step up difficulty wise from the Bronze Age. Definitely a fun filler play in a group and a challenge solo too.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #2470
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Got my Roll Through the Ages Iron Age in today. Got it when they did Through the Ages on Kickstarter though I didn't get that game.

I did the exact same thing. I already owned Through the Ages. So, I got Roll Through the Ages Iron Age along with the expansion to Iron Age during that kickstarter.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #2471
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Highly social dependent but can be amazing in the right group.

My school group of kids are ready for a game of dealing and making deals, it seems, it looked like that might scratch that itch.

We've played 7 Wonders a lot, and they've started trying to pay each other coins to get rid of a card they don't want someone else to get, for instance, or not play a card they want. So they need something with that angle to it.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #2472
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Cosmic Encounter is great. Beware, not all alien powers are equal, but that is what drives the game. Also, every one joining one side in a fight is not the optimal way to play.

EDIT: one of my top 5 games to play.

Last edited by Warhammer : 10-19-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #2473
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Played Catan with the Cities and Knights expansion. The game continues to make me want to see it die in a fire. Also played Puerto Rico which keeps solidifying why it is in my Top 10 even though setup is rather fiddly.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #2474
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Played 6 games of Star Realms against the computer AI. I pulled off a 30-2 comeback victory but seem to be stuck on the Blob themed deck in the campaign.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #2475
cougarfreak
College Starter

I played Avalon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball when I was a kid, and am debating between buying it and some current player cards on ebay, buying start o matic, or APBA. This is going to be for my and my 7 year old son.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #2476
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I played Avalon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball when I was a kid, and am debating between buying it and some current player cards on ebay, buying start o matic, or APBA. This is going to be for my and my 7 year old son.

I prefer Statis Pro. But that ia a personal preference. In fact, I love Statis Pro Baseball. My original copy, bought in 1981, is still in my possession and gets played occasionally.

I would buy that game without a doubt.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #2477
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I prefer Statis Pro. But that ia a personal preference. In fact, I love Statis Pro Baseball. My original copy, bought in 1981, is still in my possession and gets played occasionally.

I would buy that game without a doubt.

Do you purchase updated season cards via anywhere? I've found a few that make them on ebay. If so, can you recommend one that I should trust?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #2478
tarcone
Coordinator

I do not have updated rosters. Or have I bought cards lately. So I dont have an answer.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #2479
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just an update on our 'King of Tokyo' play. I'm amazed at how quickly my four year old has adapted to the play of the game, despite the early issues with her character getting knocked out quickly. She's figured out how to adjust her dice rolls to make sure her character stays healthy and it's actually been a great way for her to learn math without realizing it. Pretty excited to see my four year old start to master some of the nuances of a game that's intended for 8+ years old.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #2480
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Do you purchase updated season cards via anywhere? I've found a few that make them on ebay. If so, can you recommend one that I should trust?

I found this site. It has free sets of cards. About 20 seasons with the latest being 2011.

It is Print and Play. So you would have to do a little work.

Tabletop Baseball Games - Baseball Board Games

Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #2481
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have the Tabletop Football game and I will say it seems pretty good. It is Statis Pro Football with a few upgrades (good ones like inside/outside rushing splits). I'd guess the baseball game would be similar.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #2482
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Done some recruiting for my game group, and I'll have to see who actually shows up for the next one as it could be a nice new amount of people.

Holding off on Star Wars: Imperial Assault. I don't have the dedicated group for it and even at online pricing, the initial cost of the game and character expansions put it at over $100 so I'm going to wait for now.

After one guy I've been playing games with saying he wasn't sure if he wanted to invest in Netrunner, he's now looking for a copy so I might have found somebody to play with which would be awesome.

Added, Bohnanza, Parade, and Flash Point to my collection. The good thing is Flash Point is one I have played so I don't need to worry about it being an unplayed game in my collection. I think I have totally bought into the idea of just looking at family style games because that's mostly what my game group is going to play anyway with the occasional medium or so weight game in there. I love the big epic, but they don't get played.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #2483
cougarfreak
College Starter

Awesome. Thanks! I found a group for the game on Facebook as well. Seems like it's alive and kicking well
Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #2484
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tabletop: Season 3 starts November 13!

NOT The Flog: Halloween Tips - HALLOWEEK - YouTube
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #2485
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Got a bit of a bonus and after doing all the practical things with the money I had a little splurge for gaming.

Picked up:

Prague: The Empty Triumph
Ticket to Ride Europe
Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer
Zulus on the Ramparts

Now just need the time to play them.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #2486
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Colt - Similar to me this week. Got a couple new games from the family for my birthday and then went nuts on more gifts for myself. Here's the haul....

Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp
Zulu's on the Ramparts
Cruel Necessity
In Magnificent Style
Don't Tread On Me
A Spoiled Victory
Dominion: Intrigue
Old 10-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #2487
tarcone
Coordinator

Ghost Panzers solo expansion is due out soon.

I would love a review of Infection.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #2488
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is an absolute blast. Played it 4 times with a friend over 2 different gaming sessions and we finally won the introductory scenario. "Jonsey" the cat saved the day - it was an epic game and epic win. Highly recommended especially if you are a fan of the movies.

My copy just arrived and I got it partially based on your recommendation Padresfan so I blame you:-). Really nice components. Going to sleeve all the cards.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #2489
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Cool, tarcone. Ghost Panzer may go on the back burner till then. I have plenty else to play.

Great list Padres. I really like Dominion Intrigue. Zulus was the only non-CSI purchase. Amazon had one left and I jumped on it. Been dying to try it out.

I've been taking online classes for my principal certification, coaching my boy's basketball team, and teaching. I haven't played anything in weeks. Worked ahead in class so I'm hoping this weekend I can finally get some games in.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #2490
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
My copy just arrived and I got it partially based on your recommendation Padresfan so I blame you:-). Really nice components. Going to sleeve all the cards.

Just so you know, the sorting of the cards is a royal PITA, but it's worth it. I used a master list of cards provided at BGG to help. Found out I was missing two cards, and I just got the replacements in the mail yesterday from Upper Deck. Good customer service, just a shame they were missing in the first place.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #2491
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Still my second favorite new game of the year for me.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #2492
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just so you know, the sorting of the cards is a royal PITA, but it's worth it. I used a master list of cards provided at BGG to help. Found out I was missing two cards, and I just got the replacements in the mail yesterday from Upper Deck. Good customer service, just a shame they were missing in the first place.

Thanks I saw that list and guess I better check to be sure I am not missing any. Also picked up 600 green shaded sleeves to sleeve the cards so will be a bit before I play a solo game
Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #2493
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Two more games of Summoner Wars which I won. I definitely thought I was gonna lose the first as I was burning through my deck as fast as possible to play the three champions I got really early. Not really fair competition, but I'm 5-1 against other players.

Finally got a chance to play Race for the Galaxy. The icon issue is as advertised. Even with the player aid, it is just a lot to take in during your first initial plays. Still, in both games I ended up going military and pulling out the wins. The second one was even a bigger landslide victory when I got the card to play two planets in a single turn. I just needed to the investigate(?) card that let me draw 5 cards while keeping none extra to find a card to give me the needed initial military to start playing pretty much all of my hand. It might be #3-4 for me for the year in terms of new games with the initial learning curve keeping it from being higher. Yes, I know that's a harder sell when you win your first two games of it.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #2494
dzilla77
High School Varsity

You'll pick up the iconography quickly though. Invest in the expansions, especially if your group goes to 6.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #2495
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I don't own it but a friend does, and he already has all of the expansions.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #2496
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Won an auction for A Most Dangerous Time thus fulfilling my adventures into hex and counter Asian wargames for now. Retail is $65, CSI has it for $49.99, and I got a copy for $25+s/h with the cards still wrapped and the counters still unpunched. Rules are suppose to be a bear but plays smooth once you get past them.

I ended up putting RftG at #18 in my own rankings.

Going to UCon in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #2497
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Race for the Galaxy is pretty fantastic. It's mind blowing that they thought the iconography was a good design decision, but once you're past that it's a blast. Plays quickly, is rather intuitive (despite the stupid graphics) and has lots of room for strategy.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #2498
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ghost Panzers solo expansion is due out soon.

I would love a review of Infection.

Tarcone - I spent more time with Infection this weekend than I thought I would. It's a great solitaire game, easily one of the best I've played. It's quick to setup, quick to play (20-30 mins), and while it has a simple rule-set there are different mechanics being blended to keep things interesting and different between multiple plays.

The game comes with a double-sided board (easy / difficult) and there are numerous ways you can adjust the difficulty to suite your tastes. I won on the easy side of the board in only 2 tries, but am now 0-11 on the difficult side, coming frustratingly close to victory multiple times. It has the "just one more game" effect in spades. If you enjoy solitaire games, and have any interest at all in the "virus that's going to wipe out the human race" theme, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #2499
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Tarcone - I spent more time with Infection this weekend than I thought I would. It's a great solitaire game, easily one of the best I've played. It's quick to setup, quick to play (20-30 mins), and while it has a simple rule-set there are different mechanics being blended to keep things interesting and different between multiple plays.

The game comes with a double-sided board (easy / difficult) and there are numerous ways you can adjust the difficulty to suite your tastes. I won on the easy side of the board in only 2 tries, but am now 0-11 on the difficult side, coming frustratingly close to victory multiple times. It has the "just one more game" effect in spades. If you enjoy solitaire games, and have any interest at all in the "virus that's going to wipe out the human race" theme, I highly recommend it.

Awesome. Very well done. Thanks.

I am really interested and this make me want to get it more.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #2500
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Race for the Galaxy is pretty fantastic. It's mind blowing that they thought the iconography was a good design decision, but once you're past that it's a blast. Plays quickly, is rather intuitive (despite the stupid graphics) and has lots of room for strategy.

Its funny, I disagree with the iconography statement. If they tried to list everything on every card, they'd be walls of text. I can look at a card with most icons and know exactly what they do at a glance.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote